Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gytone, October 1, 2014, 7:05pm
I missed the game last night because of work and I haven't seen Arnold mentioned anywhere, was he injured ? sorry if this has been mentioned and answered elsewhere.
Posted by: denni266, October 1, 2014, 7:09pm; Reply: 1
There was some sort of mention that he was not fit  suprise suprise
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 1, 2014, 7:12pm; Reply: 2
There are more questions than answers on this one.
Posted by: gytone, October 1, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 3
Ah I thought that must be the case, its a shame really whatever is going on, thought he looked useful on Saturday when he came on, reminded me of a slightly smaller version of Hearn.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 1, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 4
According to PH in interview he has another calf injury.  :-/
Posted by: JMT, October 1, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 5
Injured again in training.
Posted by: chaos33, October 1, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There are more questions than answers on this one.

Yeah, well I think it's time there were answers. I just feel that Hurst's reply to questions about Arnold implied that he was holding back something. Like there was a subtext that had to be concealed. No sympathy was expressed - feeling for the player who has been plagued by endless injuries. No mention of his spirit or his determination. Just Hurst's comment that "he's unavailable to me". Now why did he choose that particular phrase? Something's not right here and this is costing us in terms of money and squad planning and management. If he doesn't want to be here or there are off the field issues, then we need to replace or release him. There's no time to skirt around the subject.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but there's surely more to this than we know.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 1, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah, well I think it's time there were answers. I just feel that Hurst's reply to questions about Arnold implied that he was holding back something. Like there was a subtext that had to be concealed. No sympathy was expressed - feeling for the player who has been plagued by endless injuries. No mention of his spirit or his determination. Just Hurst's comment that "he's unavailable to me". Now why did he choose that particular phrase? Something's not right here and this is costing us in terms of money and squad planning and management. If he doesn't want to be here or there are off the field issues, then we need to replace or release him. There's no time to skirt around the subject.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but there's surely more to this than we know.

We're only the paying (sometimes) customers - we've got no right to be informed.  :-/
Posted by: DocTower, October 1, 2014, 8:02pm; Reply: 8
I did ask before , why can't we send him back , but unfortunately both parties Cambridge and ourselves have to agree . So if they don't want him back we are lumbered . If he did go back , because it was a season long loan , we are the only club he could go to within this season on loan .
So basically getting paid for a year on the sick. End of the season he goes back to Cambridge and starts again as a league player with his parent club .
Cynical view , but if he doesn't want to be here , if rumours are correct ,  do something about it  now . Get someone in who does , easier said than done , but that is the managers job , that's what he gets paid for .
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 1, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 9
I've heard that he's been complaining that he doesn't feel right and the club have told him it is all in his head. Arnold yesterday paid for a scan off his own back that revealed the injury is higher up his leg than our medical team have been treating.

Got to question our medical team, I recall Adrian Forbes wasn't very complimentary about Dave Moore.
Posted by: DocTower, October 1, 2014, 8:12pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I've heard that he's been complaining that he doesn't feel right and the club have told him it is all in his head. Arnold yesterday paid for a scan off his own back that revealed the injury is higher up his leg than our medical team have been treating.

Got to question our medical team, I recall Adrian Forbes wasn't very complimentary about Dave Moore.

Questioned about Dave Moore too , injuries that don't appear to heal , Hearn prime example . ?
He always standds with Hurst , so is he assistant manager or physio ?
Being an ex manager of scunny !!!
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 1, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 11
I really like when Dave Moore forces injured players to hobble off the pitch unassisted rather than calling for a stretcher (Hearn when he injured his knee last season, Pearson against Lincoln, Pittman against Torquay this season etc).
Posted by: Abdul19, October 1, 2014, 8:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from DocTower
I End of the season he goes back to Cambridge and starts again as a league player with his parent club .

I'm guessing he'll be out of a job at the end of the season.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 1, 2014, 8:22pm; Reply: 13
Was in the main stand giggling with his mrs most of last night apparently.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 1, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 14
This season has been a little like travelling back in time 4 years, Hurst playing the part of Neil 'plucky' Woods and Arnold starring as Charles 'Never Ready' Ademeno, along with a startlingly realistic cast portraying all the other under achieving Class of 2010 team, even down to the odd drubbing of opponents by 6 or 7 goals to give us the impresssion that we've finally 'clicked'.
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), October 1, 2014, 9:05pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Hurst mentioned it's the same calf but in a different place in the calf.

If this is the case and the pain moves around in the same muscle, then the chances are it has a huge nerve component to it.

These are tricky to control especially if you are only focusing on the calf!!!! This happened to rio Ferdinand at utd.

Posted by: chaos33, October 1, 2014, 9:18pm; Reply: 16
I think he could genuinely have a very tricky injury, but I just didn't feel the remarks from Hurst last night were what they might have been had this been the case. I've felt that before. Maybe it's just me. Something in Hurst's words and tone. As has already been stated, we need to move quickly to replace him whatever is going on. We were already short of strikers/attacking wide players so we're lacking at least 2 now IMO.

It's alright discussing this and that, but the writing is on the wall - if we want to mount a promotion challenge in what looks like a very competitive division this year we need to act and get the players we need or be caught well short. I think this actually hints at a fundamental issue with the whole club for me - we're trying to hedge our bets to promotion. Do it as cheaply as we can. Cut corners. Gamble. Give it another go, instead of seeing clearly what needs to be done and doing it, single-mindedly and clinically - with real intent and no room for second best. It's why we're not in the title race.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 1, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from moosey_club
Was in the main stand giggling with his mrs most of last night apparently.

Send him back!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 1, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from chaos33
I think he could genuinely have a very tricky injury, but I just didn't feel the remarks from Hurst last night were what they might have been had this been the case. I've felt that before. Maybe it's just me. Something in Hurst's words and tone. As has already been stated, we need to move quickly to replace him whatever is going on. We were already short of strikers/attacking wide players so we're lacking at least 2 now IMO.

It's alright discussing this and that, but the writing is on the wall - if we want to mount a promotion challenge in what looks like a very competitive division this year we need to act and get the players we need or be caught well short. I think this actually hints at a fundamental issue with the whole club for me - we're trying to hedge our bets to promotion. Do it as cheaply as we can. Cut corners. Gamble. Give it another go, instead of seeing clearly what needs to be done and doing it, single-mindedly. Clinically - with real intent and no room for second best. It's why we're not in the title race.

I think you are right. The overall impression is that we are less professional than some of the part time outfits.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 1, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 19
My gut instinct is that it will cost the Board (Fenty) either way. Either they stump up a proper budget for the right manager or the club will slowly sink in further debt should the current malaise continue.

Promotion costs - it's 18 years since it last happened!
Posted by: Garth, October 1, 2014, 10:45pm; Reply: 20
All these injuries over the last number of years is it all bad luck or bad judgement in some cases  Colgan,Peacock, Ademeno, Hearn, Butler,  Rankin and now Arnold
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 1, 2014, 10:57pm; Reply: 21
If John Fenty came out and said here is £200,000 for a striker or two,

Would you trust Hurst to spend the money wisely ?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 2, 2014, 12:20am; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete
If John Fenty came out and said here is £200,000 for a striker or two,

Would you trust Hurst to spend the money wisely ?

Well he's plucked magnay, toto, brown, clay and mackreth so on that basis yes :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 2, 2014, 12:47am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Well he's plucked magnay, toto, brown, clay and mackreth so on that basis yes :)

Considering Toto and Mackreth's performances so far this season then for me that would be a no.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 2, 2014, 7:05am; Reply: 24

Clay cost next to nothing. How much is Arnold costing us anyway?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 2, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Clay cost next to nothing. How much is Arnold costing us anyway?

Even better then, I don't know about Arnold but I can't imagine it'd be a massive sum.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 2, 2014, 7:20am; Reply: 26
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering Toto and Mackreth's performances so far this season then for me that would be a no.

That's your opinion, I think they've been good through the majority of the games, I can only pick the first half of Tuesdays game for mackreth playing bad myself.
Posted by: Maringer, October 2, 2014, 7:26am; Reply: 27
Mackreth did much better in the last 20 minutes or so on Tuesday when he actually started running with the ball and taking on their defence for pace. The question I'd like to know is why didn't he attempt this sooner? If you're a smallish but nippy winger, you aren't going to achieve much unless you are actually attacking the opposition defence and he has seemed much too reticent to do this at times this season. Can't have helped that Parslow was bloody useless the other night though.
Posted by: Garth, October 2, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
Mackreth did much better in the last 20 minutes or so on Tuesday when he actually started running with the ball and taking on their defence for pace. The question I'd like to know is why didn't he attempt this sooner? If you're a smallish but nippy winger, you aren't going to achieve much unless you are actually attacking the opposition defence and he has seemed much too reticent to do this at times this season. Can't have helped that Parslow was bloody useless the other night though.

Its a matter of opinion I know but Parslow never stood out as having a poor game Tuesday,  regarding that the attack and midfield never turned up on the night puttig extra pressure on our defence,  certainly can`t make him a scapegoat for that match he`s a steady Eddy IMO.

For a small and nippy winger read Dave Gilbert not very fast but tricky and used the ball well in the last third, something that Nielson could work on if coached right, you never saw Diddy try to beat six players before crossing the ball two was enough LOL
Posted by: Maringer, October 2, 2014, 9:52am; Reply: 29
I was extremely disappointed with Parslow on Tuesday. OK, defensively he wasn't too bad, but most of their threat came down our right side and his distribution was just shocking at times, something which really surprised me as I thought he looked very capable on Saturday.

I don't think Mackreth has a fraction of the skill of Gilbert so not perhaps the best comparison. I'd also have to say that you seem to remember Diddy Dave a little bit differently to me as I recall he'd never beat one man before crossing the ball if the chance to try and beat two or three was available! Regardless, Neilson isn't really a winger per se as he rarely gets down the line. I do wish he would mix his game up a little and cut inside less often because he really does telegraph what he's going to do a lot of the time, especially when things aren't going his way.

My advice to Neilson would be mix it up a bit more - let the ball do the work more often and pass teammates rather than just trying to dribble all the time.

Mackreth needs to trust his pace and try to get in behind the opposition full-back, something he rarely seems to do for some reason.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 2, 2014, 10:00am; Reply: 30

That's your opinion, I think they've been good through the majority of the games, I can only pick the first half of Tuesdays game for mackreth playing bad myself.

In the same way you had an opinion.

My opinion is based on every game played this season including the friendlies.
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, October 2, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 31
I fear little cameos are about all we will get for our money with this particular "player".Hurst unlucky or gullible?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 2, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Garth

[/b]
Its a matter of opinion I know but Parslow never stood out as having a poor game Tuesday,  regarding that the attack and midfield never turned up on the night puttig extra pressure on our defence,  certainly can`t make him a scapegoat for that match he`s a steady Eddy IMO.

For a small and nippy winger read Dave Gilbert not very fast but tricky and used the ball well in the last third, something that Nielson could work on if coached right, you never saw Diddy try to beat six players before crossing the ball two was enough LOL

To be fair I've been watching Town for 25 years and I reckon Dave Gilbert is one of the best half dozen players I've seen in a Town shirt and neither Mackraith or Neilson are never going to be in Diddy's league and it's a little unfair to compare them.
Posted by: Biccys, October 2, 2014, 2:42pm; Reply: 33
Diddy is my favourite ever Town player.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 2, 2014, 3:53pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Biccys
Diddy is my favourite ever Town player.

He is one of mine but his brushes with the law have tainted that a bit.
Posted by: Garth, October 2, 2014, 4:47pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from psgmariner

In what way? genuine question because his high jinks off the field were nothing compared with a lot of pro footballers who carried a higher profile than Dave
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 2, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from psgmariner

As his misdemeanours happened well after his Town career, I don't consider them relevant to enjoying watching him terrorising opposition defenders.
Posted by: Maringer, October 2, 2014, 4:58pm; Reply: 37
Wasn't there some sort of domestic violence thing a few years back? I seem to remember he was also caught nicking lead off a church roof near the start of his career (before he joined us) as well.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 2, 2014, 5:06pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
How much is Arnold costing us anyway?
Think I read it on the U's website, we are basically paying conference premier wage, the difference in league 2 wages still paid by Cambridge.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, October 2, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the same way you had an opinion.

My opinion is based on every game played this season including the friendlies.

I to have been to every game home and away including all pre season games and tbh I personally think he looked ok and defiantly a better player than Colebeck in all the games prior to getting injured. Since he as come back he looks a bit short of confidence and pace but I still feel he will get better as the season goes on.

I know I  will be shot down but I think Ross does not bring enough to the party, I just cant see him scoring the goals we need,
Not enough strength or pace to worry the opposition, Cant remember him having a shot on target on Tue night, maybe wrong,  
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, October 2, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 40
Mackreth to me, hasn't shown anything yet to say he has anymore to offer than Joe Colbeck did. Yes he's quick but so are the majority of fullbacks these days, so they just push him off the ball after a foot race. Got to have more than just pace. With Arnold always on the sick too, I hope we're looking for another winger.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 2, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Abdul19

Send him back!

i dont mind the giggling......it was just a little loud for the residents of the Main Stand..interrupted their naps  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, October 2, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Maringer
Wasn't there some sort of domestic violence thing a few years back? I seem to remember he was also caught nicking lead off a church roof near the start of his career (before he joined us) as well.

BULLSH!T !!!!    He wouldnt be able to reach any higher than letterbox box height.... :P
Posted by: Garth, October 2, 2014, 7:25pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from moosey_club

BULLSH!T !!!!    He wouldnt be able to reach any higher than letterbox box height.... :P

It was in Lilliput land I think ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 2, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from moosey_club

He climbed up the inside of the drainpipe.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 2, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 45
Occasionally meet Dave through a mutual friend,he won't have a word said against Buckley,trying to get him to come to a match,but not very keen.
Posted by: Maringer, October 2, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 46
I'm sure I remember seeing him at an away match or two several years ago. Can't remember where it was, mind! One of those modern stadia which look identical behind the stands - exposed concrete and nothing much else. Could have been anywhere.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 2, 2014, 11:28pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Think I read it on the U's website, we are basically paying conference premier wage, the difference in league 2 wages still paid by Cambridge.

Well Diddy is a mate and lived across the road from me until recently. Firstly excellent player who started at Lincoln ( it was whilst a youth player that church lead and air rifles attracted the attention of the local constabulary) and after being released at a young age he came back playing locally on a Sunday and for Boston Utd reserves in the Lincs League. Obviously with his talent and a Wembley appearance for Boston he went on to Northampton and then to us.

His performance that night in the home defeat to Spurs was a highlight among many a great match, add in some complimentary tickets, hand delivered and he is one of my favourite players to.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 3, 2014, 10:45am; Reply: 48
Quoted from horsforthmariner

To be fair I've been watching Town for 25 years and I reckon Dave Gilbert is one of the best half dozen players I've seen in a Town shirt and neither Mackraith or Neilson are never going to be in Diddy's league and it's a little unfair to compare them.

Yes, and he delivered against Championship level defenders.

Diddy and Childs. What a great wide combination they were..
Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2014, 1:27pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Maringer
I'm sure I remember seeing him at an away match or two several years ago. Can't remember where it was, mind! One of those modern stadia which look identical behind the stands - exposed concrete and nothing much else. Could have been anywhere.

Wembley?
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:25am