Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Garth, September 29, 2014, 8:57am
I put on another thread that he should not tinker with a winning team but if LJL is fit I`d start him over Oates along side Hannah, because he looked really up for it when he came on and is always first choice for that position over Oates at the moment IMO
Posted by: JMT, September 29, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 1
Really hope LJL gets a start instead of Oates if i;'m honest.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 29, 2014, 9:48am; Reply: 2
No I think I would start with the same 11 bring LJL on for the second half if needed but if we manage to do the business in the first half leave him on the bench to give that injury the maximum time to heal
Posted by: ackomariner, September 29, 2014, 9:48am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Garth
I put on another thread that he should not tinker with a winning team but if LJL is fit I`d start him over Oates along side Hannah, because he looked really up for it when he came on and is always first choice for that position over Oates at the moment IMO

Well that's tinkering then Garth in my book. Leave the team alone and have LJL on the bench again, won't do his injury any harm having that bit longer  :)
Posted by: maxfox44, September 29, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 4
Not a LJL fan, but I would prefer him to play against "big Mac".
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 29, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 5
maybe the shop doubters realized how much he helps the team when not there !
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 29, 2014, 10:29am; Reply: 6
Quoted from maxfox44
Not a LJL fan, but I would prefer him to play against "big Mac".

I am a big fan of big Mac,

I have not seen Oates play yet but by the sound of things,

Big Mac will have him for breakfast, :)

Start with John Lewis then when Big Mac gets tired,

Bring on the fresh legs of Oates.
Posted by: ackomariner, September 29, 2014, 10:53am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
maybe the shop doubters realized how much he helps the team when not there !

What's the results been while he was out injured  ;)
Posted by: fiveallive, September 29, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 8
I would go with this team,

Mckeown

Parslow
Nsiala
Pearson
Magnay

Mackreth
Clay
Brown
Nielson

Hannah
Oates

Doig
Paddy
Disley
Arnold
John-Lewis.

I have picked the same 11 as Saturday, the only suggestion i would make is i would like this 11 to be fresh for our big test against Wrexham so in the next couple of games maybe rest a couple of players so their fresh for that game that's why i would keep ljl and Arnold on the bench to we play Wrexham give Hannah and Oates more game time.

I have been reading a bit about Southport they have plenty of possession but no end product there fans say. So hopefully we can get into them from the get go get the crowd to wind up you know who. I just hope we play with confidence the crowd will be more expectant after Saturday's win so we just have to get behind them.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 29, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 9
Quoted from fiveallive
I would go with this team,

I have been reading a bit about Southport they have plenty of possession but no end product there fans say. So hopefully we can get into them from the get go get the crowd to wind up you know who. I just hope we play with confidence the crowd will be more expectant after Saturday's win so we just have to get behind them.

Well if that is true they will not be playing hoof ball,

So if they try to out play us by passing the ball,

I predict another comfortable win for the mariners !!!

Posted by: Garth, September 29, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

Well if that is true they will not be playing hoof ball,

So if they try to out play us by passing the ball,

I predict another comfortable win for the mariners !!!

I`ve also been reading their board and the general consensus is that they have been hoofing over their small midfield for the likes of Brodie to fight for
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2014, 12:11pm; Reply: 11
If fit, I'd be tempted to start LJL in place of Oates.

Oates looks to me the sort of player who might do well alongside a targetman so I'd keep him on the bench as an option to replace Hannah during the second half - perhaps for the last 20 to 30 minutes?

This would probably be the only change I would make. No need to bring Disley in for his aerial ability as you would think we should have enough height in the team with Pearson, Nsiala, Magnay, Parslow, Clay and LJL to defend and attack set pieces well.
Posted by: timmo, September 29, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 12
Keep it the same or go for a 4312.

Macca

Parslow
Toto
Pearson
Magnay

Paddy
Brown
Clay

Scotty

oates
hannah

because I think scotty is more effective in a free role behind the front 2. I think he is lost on the left doesn't seem to get into the game

timmo
UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2014, 12:34pm; Reply: 13
1 change. LJL for Oates.
Posted by: oldun, September 29, 2014, 12:41pm; Reply: 14
Obviously depends on fitness, but if he is OK Lenny has to start, this is likely to be a physical battle and we have no one better than Lenny for that up front. Oates can always come on later if needs be. Although not ready to start I hope Nathan Arnold gets some more game time, depending on how things go.
Posted by: GyMariner, September 29, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 15
Oates on the bench for me, was was out his bottom against Chester and we we're lucky the rest of the team stepped up to make up for this.
Posted by: Garth, September 29, 2014, 1:55pm; Reply: 16
War of the eighteen yard area in both sides of the center circle tomorrow, in one area its Big Mac v LJL and in the other Toto v Brodie,  sparks will fly lets hope we end will the full eleven intact with no injuries
Posted by: oldun, September 29, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Garth
War of the eighteen yard area in both sides of the center circle tomorrow, in one area its Big Mac v LJL and in the other Toto v Brodie,  sparks will fly lets hope we end will the full eleven intact with no injuries

Here here
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 29, 2014, 4:33pm; Reply: 18
Yep LJL for Oates for me.
UTM
Posted by: Tinymariner, September 29, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from timmo
Keep it the same or go for a 4312.

Macca

Parslow
Toto
Pearson
Magnay

Paddy
Brown
Clay

Scotty

oates
hannah

because I think scotty is more effective in a free role behind the front 2. I think he is lost on the left doesn't seem to get into the game

timmo
UTM

Spot on for me Timmo.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 29, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 20
Magnay a doubt for tomorrow.

He's been one of the standout players for me this season so I hope he makes it.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/southport-team-news-1977376.aspx
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 29, 2014, 7:01pm; Reply: 21
Can Parslow do a job at left back ?
Posted by: fiveallive, September 29, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 22
Yeah Carl Magnay is a doubt for the game against Southport to be honest if he's not fully fit we could rest him for these next 2 games, we don't want to make things worse and playing him and he gets injured where he's out for a while he's become very valuable for us this season, a player who i think has a chance still early days of being player of the season. The only suggestion i can see him making if magnay is injured is move Nsiala to RB and bring Doig in and moving Parslow to the left. We could have done with keeping Humble around for a couple more weeks just in case anymore injuries.

There is also Paul Walker and Paul Bignot who can also play RB, out of them 2 i would have to pick Paul Walker.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2014, 8:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 120797
Can Parslow do a job at left back ?

Yeah, Parslow played pretty much everywhere bar goalie for York.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 29, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 24
So Nsiala, Walker or Bignot at right back.
Not particularly enthused about any of them tbh but would probably go Bignot.
I feel a poll coming on... (but will resist the tempation)
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 25
I'd like to see us go 4-3-1-2 for this game, with Brown, Paddy and Clay as the three, Neilson as the 'one'  (I agree with the reasoning posted earlier), and Hannah and LJL up front. Probably a bit harsh on Mackreth but think it would work well against Southport. That said, I don't think he will do this. I think it'll be the same team and shape as Saturday with LJL for Oates and perhaps a defensive player swap if Magnay isn't fit.
Posted by: Maringer, September 30, 2014, 6:35am; Reply: 26
I'd imagine we'll see Bignot in on the right with Parslow on the left if Magnay isn't fit. Pretty sure I've read that Parslow can play all the way across the back?
Posted by: tashee69, September 30, 2014, 7:50am; Reply: 27
When we signed Parslow, it said he could play on the right, centre back or as a holding midfielder. Didn't say left back.
Posted by: Maringer, September 30, 2014, 8:20am; Reply: 28
That being the case, I seem to recall that Bignot has played left-back for us in the past once or twice. Not ideal but I think that sticking Winfarrah in there might be a bit of a risk, especially as Southport are reportedly pretty 'direct'.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 9:06am; Reply: 29
Quoted from 120797
So Nsiala, Walker or Bignot at right back.
Not particularly enthused about any of them tbh but would probably go Bignot.
I feel a poll coming on... (but will resist the tempation)

I wouldn't have Bignot anywhere near my team unless he was making the half time drinks. Paul Walker, give him a chance as he's never let us down on the rare occasions he's been called upon. Sometimes the easy choice is to go with 'experience' but Bignot has consistently looked the weakest link when he's played IMO. Parsow at left back as he's a decent size over Winfarrah as Southport will sling it forward. If Parslow isn't too comfortable on the left I'd have no problems throwing young Caine and Paul Walker in.
Posted by: Garth, September 30, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 30
Quoted from 75

I wouldn't have Bignot anywhere near my team unless he was making the half time drinks. Paul Walker, give him a chance as he's never let us down on the rare occasions he's been called upon. Sometimes the easy choice is to go with 'experience' but Bignot has consistently looked the weakest link when he's played IMO. Parsow at left back as he's a decent size over Winfarrah as Sou If Parslow isn't too comfortable on the lthport will sling it forward.eft I'd have no problems throwing young Caine and Paul Walker in.

Walkers not a left back is he? last time Paddy played in that position he did OK
Posted by: gtfc82, September 30, 2014, 10:19am; Reply: 31
I think Southport will use McDonald to try to bully LJL/Oates. Therefore we should use the 4-3-1-2 system to stretch them and create gaps. If we did that I could see us beating them easily!
Posted by: Richard Cranium, September 30, 2014, 11:21am; Reply: 32
Batch

McDermott
Futcher
Nicholl
Croft

Waters
Groves
Birtles
Gilbert

Whymark
Mendonca
Posted by: Grimal, September 30, 2014, 11:54am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Richard Cranium
Batch

McDermott
Futcher
Nicholl
Croft

Waters
Groves
Birtles
Gilbert

Whymark
Mendonca

(confused1)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 30, 2014, 12:37pm; Reply: 34
Most teams include a big back 4 because most teams throw the ball up there and fight for it. That's what these defenders are used to and what they expect.

Maybe there is a case for keeping an unchanged team and playing the ball on the floor using pace and skill. If it doesn't work the manager can always send to the shop for reinforcements.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 30, 2014, 1:14pm; Reply: 35
We've got someone who can slot into the left back position - keeping Toto in the centre and Parslow at right back. Just play Winfarrah.

Winfarrah has a few games under his belt - it's not as if he's untried. He played most of the match against Nuneaton at home after Thomas got injured and did well if I remember.

If he can hold his own against Nuneaton and offer us natural width going forward, I'd suspect he'll be ok against Southport. It'll still be tough, but it's not like we're playing Barnet, Halifax or Gateshead where he may be exposed.

He's got a professional contract with us, Hurst clearly sees him more as a left back, with the ability to play left midfield... so let's just go with him, rather than moving Parslow across, taking Toto away from Brodie and bringing in Doig etc.

There comes a point when you have to put your trust in youngsters. If you never do, they never play and the club never makes any money. This'll be a good test for him.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 30, 2014, 1:26pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RichMariner
We've got someone who can slot into the left back position - keeping Toto in the centre and Parslow at right back. Just play Winfarrah.

Winfarrah has a few games under his belt - it's not as if he's untried. He played most of the match against Nuneaton at home after Thomas got injured and did well if I remember.

If he can hold his own against Nuneaton and offer us natural width going forward, I'd suspect he'll be ok against Southport. It'll still be tough, but it's not like we're playing Barnet, Halifax or Gateshead where he may be exposed.

He's got a professional contract with us, Hurst clearly sees him more as a left back, with the ability to play left midfield... so let's just go with him, rather than moving Parslow across, taking Toto away from Brodie and bringing in Doig etc.

There comes a point when you have to put your trust in youngsters. If you never do, they never play and the club never makes any money. This'll be a good test for him.

Fully agree.
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, September 30, 2014, 1:30pm; Reply: 37
I think he will start LJL.Hopefully get the game won and then make a couple of changes
Posted by: Maringer, September 30, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 38
Winfarrah has played less than 2 hours of Conference football for us, and most of this in spells of ten minutes or less so it would be a bit of a gamble putting him in the team. Don't forget that Nuneaton were set up to sit back and defend in depth so he wasn't tested too much but did miss a tackle (though he had only just got onto the pitch) which presented them with their best chance of the game.

From what I saw in the Nuneaton game, he'd be better suited to play as a midfielder. Not sure how Southport play, but if they've got a strong and quick winger, it might be too much for Winfarrah to deal with. Don't forget that he's not played any competitive football for over a month, either.

Regardless, I think Hurst is more likely to be cautious as it is in his nature and play an experienced defender.

I rather hope that Magnay will be fit enough to start and we won't need to make any changes to the defence!
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from RichMariner

I wonder if hurst would play the youngsters more if he wasn't constantly criticised? When you are under fire all the time people tend to opt for the safer options rather than taking a more risky approach of playing untried youngsters in newish positions?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Garth

[/b]
Walkers not a left back is he? last time Paddy played in that position he did OK

I meant Paul Walker at right back, with Caine Winfarrah at left back. We aren't playing AC Milan tonight, they're good lads and will be fine. Shaun and Toto will talk them through it.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 4:25pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from 75
I wouldn't have Bignot anywhere near my team unless he was making the half time drinks. Paul Walker, give him a chance as he's never let us down on the rare occasions he's been called upon. Sometimes the easy choice is to go with 'experience' but Bignot has consistently looked the weakest link when he's played IMO. Parsow at left back as he's a decent size over Winfarrah as Southport will sling it forward. If Parslow isn't too comfortable on the left I'd have no problems throwing young Caine and Paul Walker in.

Yes some good points, I see where you're coming from.

Regards Bignot, it's just he already has more game time under his belt.
On the one hand it's arguably less risky.
On the other, when to bring in new players can be a vicious circle if you leave it forever...

I rate Walker for sure, just a little concerned with his defending ability (applies to all of them tbf).
Get the impression he's better going forward, added to his occasional petulance in the challenge.

In short, get the impression he's more a wing back (or even a midfielder) than a defender.
As for Winfarrah, I wonder the same thing.
Quoted from RichMariner

True but was also caught out within minutes of coming on. (not that you can't forgive them the odd mistake)

I do think these young lads need chances however, they won't improve unless they get games.
Even if there are cracks there, they'll learn from the experience and at least we'll know more.
So in short, I'd have no problem throwing them in either.
Like you say Rich, I think some of it does boil down to trust and having "faith in youth".

Some may argue it's not the right time and I'd see their point in a game we're desperate to win.
However I tend to agree with you Vicar.
Perhaps it's over-concern, they could be safe as houses.
Obviously all these defensive issues largely depend on how many problems Southport cause us...

You make a good point about size.
Just wondering if Hurst will move Toto to right back (to avoid Brodie) and bring in Doig for height.
I wouldn't be encouraging him to do it however, not that it might not be a good move.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 4:29pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 3610
I wonder if hurst would play the youngsters more if he wasn't constantly criticised? When you are under fire all the time people tend to opt for the safer options rather than taking a more risky approach of playing untried youngsters in newish positions?

A fair point and I'd tend to agree with you except I think we've shown a general reluctance to put faith in youth even before Hurst wasn't here.
At the end of the day, perhaps Hurst needs to forget about being under fire and just make the best decisions he can.
Easier said than done maybe !
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 30, 2014, 4:40pm; Reply: 43
I am a big believer in playing people in their best position & this means playing one of our younger lads at full back so be it. I think in the vast majority of cases us gfans like to see young home grown talent given a chance and they get our full support during the game and we all, hopefully, appreciate that there will be nerves and some misplaced passes and positional lapses. But as other posters have commented the lads will not improve not playing.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 44
intercourse it then I'm persuaded, I'll take a risk and go...

Parslow....Nsiala...Pearson...Winfarrah
Mackreth...Clay.....Brown.....Neilson
................LJL......Hannah

Subs: Bignot, Doig, Disley, Arnold, Oates

Posted by: oldun, September 30, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 45
Parslow played RB, LB and CB for York, I reckon he will play LB if Magnay is unfit and Bignot will play RB. Not necessarily saying I agree, just think PH will go with experience for this one which is likely to be a physical battle.
Posted by: GyMariner, September 30, 2014, 5:23pm; Reply: 46
For me it obviously all comes down to who will do a better job since we need to be getting promoted. There's no good playing youth just to give them a chance if  it's not going to win us games.  I'd go for Bignot and parslow since southport are going to be big and physical.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 30, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 47
Well point taken but it's not just about giving players a chance.
Winfarrah looks a promising player and is left footed, so it won't do any harm in that respect.
That said I'd run a mile from Paddy at left back !

Not quite sure why you think Bignot is better suited to big players but it's a tough call I agree.
Whatever Hurst does some will think differently.

I now fully expect Magnay to start...  ;D
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 4:50am