Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, September 28, 2014, 10:05am
By Chris Doig. PH stung by criticism of his communications style, perhaps?

https://audioboom.com/boos/2516572-grimsby-town-s-assitant-manager-chris-doig-talking-to-humbersidesport-after-the-3-0-victory-over-chester-fc-at-blundell-park-gtfc
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 28, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 1
He has given the sort of after match speech we have been looking for.  His short pre match speech for the next game contained what I said needed to be said weeks ago and Doig should give all the spiel from now on.  Far more positive and at the end I personally felt more confident in the direction we want to go in.
Posted by: Maringer, September 28, 2014, 11:28am; Reply: 2
Christ on a bike. It was just another interview full of the usual platitudes as there was absolutely nothing interesting to say after an easy victory with no elements of controversy at all. He answered the questions sensibly and made sensible comments about the match - pretty much the same as you get week-in, week-out following a good result.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is absolutely bloody ridiculous the way in which some seek to criticise Hurst for utterly banal interviews. Doig's interview was utterly banal as well yet he's getting praised for some bizarre reason? FFS.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 28, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Christ on a bike. It was just another interview full of the usual platitudes as there was absolutely nothing interesting to say after an easy victory with no elements of controversy at all. He answered the questions sensibly and made sensible comments about the match - pretty much the same as you get week-in, week-out following a good result.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is absolutely bloody ridiculous the way in which some seek to criticise Hurst for utterly banal interviews. Doig's interview was utterly banal as well yet he's getting praised for some bizarre reason? FFS.

Hilarious.

FFS
Posted by: LH, September 28, 2014, 11:57am; Reply: 4
Not good enough. I like post match interviews to show tunes or in poetic form.
Posted by: barralad, September 28, 2014, 12:07pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from LH
Not good enough. I like post match interviews to show tunes or in poetic form.

We are as one. I've written a strong letter demanding iambic pentameters or at the very least rhyming couplets. I suppose you have to reach the dizzy heights of League 2 before considering the haiku....
Posted by: Abdul19, September 28, 2014, 12:49pm; Reply: 6
I've not listened to it yet but I imagine the following phrases are used because all football interviews are the same:

'for me'
'kick on'
'the group'
'game management'
'go again'
Posted by: RoboCod, September 28, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 7
I hear Mr Doig didn't even wear a tie for this radio interview!? Usual slap-happy GTFC, I despair.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 28, 2014, 3:09pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19
I've not listened to it yet but I imagine the following phrases are used because all football interviews are the same:

'for me'
'kick on'
'the group'
'game management'
'go again'

Lol,
None of those but but a few I picked out were:

"Credit to the lads"
"first and foremost" x 2
"work hard"
"Time will tell"
"touchwood"
"wins on the board"
"3 points and a clean sheet"
"we now move on" (close !)
"Show the same commitment and workrate"

Lol not a pisstake though it was a very accurate interview IMO.
I've a vision of Doig doing the interview only for him to rip off his mask at the end and it being Hurst.  ??)
Posted by: oldun, September 28, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 9
Dour Yorkshireman swapped for a dour Scot, nothing wrong with either really. I though he could have been a bit more upbeat after the performance yesterday, but said we played well in parts. He did however answer the predictable questions, so what else can you do? Tell a few jokes!!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 10
Doig says nothing apart from agreeing with the interviewer and muttering a few meaningless football cliches. I actually turned it off before the end as it was obvious there was not going to be any nuggets of wisdom. At least with PH he offers opinions and reasons of his own, a bit more interesting than someone playing  every ball with a straight bat. Totally irrelevant who says what to the press after the game anyway, it's what he says to the players before the game that matters most. If we start climbing the table, they will come.
Posted by: LH, September 28, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from barralad

We are as one. I've written a strong letter demanding iambic pentameters or at the very least rhyming couplets. I suppose you have to reach the dizzy heights of League 2 before considering the haiku....

At this point in time I'd take a poorly syllablised limerick over the current droney interviews.

Posted by: Abdul19, September 28, 2014, 8:12pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120797

Lol,
None of those but but a few I picked out were:

Boooo!

To be fair (more football speak) Hurst isn't so bad for the usual buzzwords, but Russ Wilcox is terrible! (His interviews are usually first on RH so I tend to hear more of those)
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 28, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 13
I think football interviews should be banned. I cannot think of anything more boring. Beyond factual statements (like injury updates) nothing of any use has ever been uttered by a single manager in all of recorded broadcasting history.
Posted by: tashee69, September 28, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 14
Perhaps we should bring somebody in to do the radio interview in the form of a mime. Be a change for the listeners.  ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 15
It surely beats the inane player interviews you get in programmes of favourite film/food/holiday resort etc.

Or perhaps they should talk about their favourite type of pet?
Posted by: Garth, September 28, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 16
Let them rap it while dancing on Moore`s treatment  table
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 28, 2014, 11:43pm; Reply: 17
Tbh that's not as daft as it might sound.

If people are "bored" of Hurst's interviews, perhaps a behind the scenes look at the players doing different things on MP might spur interest.

Scotty Neilson is a funny character for example  8)
The Toto video started off with a "2 touch" game of keepy uppy (or something like that) and Aswad came over mid interview.

I guess fans love to see players joking, bonding and doing non-football things.
Well I do, it lifts the mood...
Posted by: rancido, September 30, 2014, 2:06pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from LH

At this point in time I'd take a poorly syllablised limerick over the current droney interviews.

Try this for size :-

" Grimsby has a young manager called Hurst
Whose actions always seem cursed
By those in the crowd
Whose voices are loud
But given the chance would do worse"
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:53am