Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 27, 2014, 10:05pm
a much better version of Manny Panther & Derek Niven ?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 27, 2014, 10:11pm; Reply: 1
A much better version of (pre-season) Craig Clay.  ;)
Posted by: kevikov, September 27, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 2
A completely different player to both, has the ability to control play, both defensively and offensively. As much as i like scottie browns passion, energy, drive and determination, i think craig is the perfect foil for him as he does whats required to allow brown to do it and is capable of taking over if brown is out of position or they've switched. Much much better than pre season though, agree totally.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 27, 2014, 10:21pm; Reply: 3
Clay was an inspired choice to sign for us by the manager when many fans did not want him.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 27, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

To be honest Les.......felt the same.....
i judged him on a couple of pre season appearances and thought he was.....garbage....no doubt about it...junk...
however...have seen him twice since the season started now....and today especially thought he read the game brilliantly, retained the ball very well apart from a couple of times late on, spoilt their play well and most importantly seemed to gel naturally with Brown....
impressive performance.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 27, 2014, 10:29pm; Reply: 5
Of course the Hurst haters won't want to admit that he got it right with Clay...
Posted by: Maringer, September 27, 2014, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

I disagree.

He's actually a much, much, much, much better version of the pre-season Clay!

Another good performance from him today and it is hard to see any parallels between the nervous, hesitant and generally poor player I saw against Donny and Mansfield with the capable and confident midfielder we've seen for much of the season so far.

Long may it continue!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 27, 2014, 10:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from aldi_01
Of course the Hurst haters won't want to admit that he got it right with Clay...

A player thread what you manage to turn into a hurst thread...

Brilliant.
Posted by: chaos33, September 27, 2014, 10:46pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from aldi_01

Who 'hates' Hurst, or, for that matter, Clay? Are you serious?

A home victory and you want to be argumentative?

Lots of people have commented that Clay didn't look impressive in pre-season, and now he looks fantastic. That's just an even-handed statement of fact.

We won 3-0 today. Can't we just.......not dig and jibe at each other?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 27, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 9
He has been out most consistent performer this season, he was fantastic again today, he really makes us tick.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, September 27, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 10
Clay was my MOM today.
He had the complete game; great range of passing, calm and controlled, energy and enthusiasm

A real 'find' and along with Brown is finally giving us the sort of power house centre midfield we have lacked.

Didn't see him pre-season but perhaps he might have been ultra nervous trying to earn a contract; Hurst obviously saw something in him and took a punt

Any midfielder at this level (and a few levels higher come to that) who brings a the ball down with his chest in centre circle, looks around and picks a pass would be in my team all day long... Clay did this today a couple of times and that's the sort of composure and class we need
Posted by: pizzzza, September 27, 2014, 11:16pm; Reply: 11
I am usually a good judge of players but happy to admit I was wrong with Clay. Didn't rate him at all based on pre-season performances but I have been pleasantly surprised so far this season, a real find indeed.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 27, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 12
Some touchy people on here these days...

Clay, along with Magnay has been our best player so far. Our midfield looks far more balanced, positive and organised without disley...
Posted by: mariner2000, September 27, 2014, 11:39pm; Reply: 13
#i think Hurst can pick a player generally, just a useless tactician...
Posted by: chaos33, September 28, 2014, 12:04am; Reply: 14
Quoted from aldi_01
Some touchy people on here these days...

Clay, along with Magnay has been our best player so far. Our midfield looks far more balanced, positive and organised without disley...

Disley hater!!

Y'see what I've done there....?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, September 28, 2014, 12:05am; Reply: 15
good on him
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 28, 2014, 12:27am; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33

Disley hater!!

Y'see what I've done there....?

Haha..

Quality.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 28, 2014, 12:36am; Reply: 17
Clay and brown remind me of cunnington and cockerill
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 28, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 18
Thought Clay was fantastic yesterday, dictated the tempo and allowed Brown to be a real terrier. One moment in particular in the centre circle when he stopped the ball dead was a joy to watch.

He played a ball to Oates that got intercepted and made a point of telling Oates to continue his runs and that he was sorry.

As for the team, everyone but Macca joined in the celebrations, great to see!
Posted by: jungleland, September 28, 2014, 11:58am; Reply: 19
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Clay and brown remind me of cunnington and cockerill

Bloody good beer up your way
Posted by: Garth, September 28, 2014, 1:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from aldi_01

Hurst hater? don`t think anyone fits that bill, I`m so pleased he has proved us wrong regarding Clay,  because TBF almost everyone who watched a pre season Clay could not have seen the transformation that has taken place  except you of course and Mr Hurst
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 28, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 21
I have not seen Clay play yet,

So I look forward to seeing him play well and score ( hopefully )

In our win at Dartford next Saturday. :)
Posted by: gtfc82, September 28, 2014, 2:17pm; Reply: 22
It's Clay's high workrate and communication with other players that has impressed me so much.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 28, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 23
Never see any of the pre season games, I only go to every home game and from what I've seen so far he's a superb acquisition, doesn't do much wrong to be honest, plays with confidence, passes the ball well, gets a foot in to break play when the opposition has the ball well, fully deserves his now regular place in the starting 11.

At the end of the game the first thing I thought when the players clapped back, was how well he played yet again, the dark horse signing of the season for me.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:53am