Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: tashee69, September 25, 2014, 8:49am
According to our favourite Mr Burns, of Humberside fame, that is what Grimsby fans are. How kind of him.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 25, 2014, 8:54am; Reply: 1
Well todays news will please him then.  38 banning orders last season, more than some premiership teams!!
Posted by: psgmariner, September 25, 2014, 9:03am; Reply: 2
That "news" is a few weeks old. It was released on 11th Sept. Weird it's only being discussed today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/football-related-arrests-and-banning-orders-season-2013-to-2014

Main points for me are these:

"The 2013-14 football-related arrest season total is the lowest on record, continuing the general downwards trend."

"The number of football banning orders decreased by 7% to 2,273 on 3 September 2014 from 2,451 on 20 September 2013."

They are not very sexy stats for two bit hacks to get excited about though.
Posted by: BIGChris, September 25, 2014, 9:16am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Well todays news will please him then.  38 banning orders last season, more than some premiership teams!!

There were TEN new banning orders for GTFC but only two arrests for violent disorder!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 25, 2014, 9:23am; Reply: 4
Quoted from tashee69
According to our favourite Mr Burns, of Humberside fame, that is what Grimsby fans are. How kind of him.

if that is as a result of the banning order list then i do hope he has also dished out similar vitriole to Scunny who are only 4 behind and i would wager that would equate to a higher percentage of their support.
Posted by: tashee69, September 25, 2014, 9:41am; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club

if that is as a result of the banning order list then i do hope he has also dished out similar vitriole to Scunny who are only 4 behind and i would wager that would equate to a higher percentage of their support.

No, poor old Scunthorpe supporters were the subject of our nasty behaviour according to Mr Burns.
Normally don't listen to him but he was talking about what was coming up on his morning show and couldn't help have a little dig. The old "whenever I've been to a Grimsby Town game...."
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 25, 2014, 9:42am; Reply: 6
Quoted from tashee69

well I would rather be that than a mudrat yorkie any day of the week.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 25, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 7
urine off burns
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 25, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 8
Nomination for next weeks twit of the week!
Posted by: RoboCod, September 25, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 9
Nomination for a banning order from BP i'd say 8). Especially when we're back in the League or he's after a freebie when we get a plum home tie in the CUp.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 25, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 10
To whom was he referring to when he said that, was it all of us or just the ones that have been banned . ?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 25, 2014, 1:06pm; Reply: 11
Didn't hear him Pete...could have been tarring us all with the same brush but that would have been well out of order

Most of us just love Town and even when pushed to the limit can keep the lid on things even when those around us are letting loose on opposing fans / pitch side ads etc

Having said that the first thing someone asked me when I got in to work this morning (on RH's favoured side of the river)...are you one of those Grimsby thugs I heard mentioned this morning?

Who says mud doesn't stick...though being over here, they should all know about mud!  :P
Posted by: prestonmariner, September 25, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 12
To describe an entire fanbase like that is hilariously naive and narrow-minded for a 'professional' broadcaster. Nevermind ey, he's always been a pillock.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 25, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 13
Just seen this crop up on Twitter...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-29360658?utm_source=BBC+Sport&utm_medium=twitter

Grimsby Town had 10 fans banned last season, according to the latest Home Office figures.

The Football Conference National Division club had an average home crowd of 3,500.

In comparison, Premier League side Hull City had five supporters banned, with an average of more than 24,000 home fans

Yah booh sucks
Posted by: MarinerWY, September 25, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-29360658?utm_source=BBC+Sport&utm_medium=twitter

Grimsby Town had 10 fans banned last season, according to the latest Home Office figures.

The Football Conference National Division club had an average home crowd of 3,500.

In comparison, Premier League side Hull City had five supporters banned, with an average of more than 24,000 home fans

Yah booh sucks

Although a higher proportion than Hull, 10 fans of an average 3,500 is slightly under 0.3% of our currently active fanbase, and significantly less than that in proportion to our overall fanbase.

It's hardly a proportion that justifies singling out GTFC as a club with a problem fanbase. It still leaves 3,490 people who have not recieved banning orders.

Even if we have a slightly higher proportion of banning orders than some other clubs, 0.3% is barely worth a story to be honest. Reckon I could take a sample of 3,500 people in most neighbourhoods, most organisations etc. and find 10 with recent criminal records, at the very least.
Posted by: LH, September 25, 2014, 3:06pm; Reply: 15
Some will be offended but I rarely get compliments like that. Thanks Burnsy!
Posted by: Abdul19, September 25, 2014, 3:18pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MarinerWY

Even if we have a slightly higher proportion of banning orders than some other clubs, 0.3% is barely worth a story to be honest. Reckon I could take a sample of 3,500 people in most neighbourhoods, most organisations etc. and find 10 with recent criminal records, at the very least.

It'll be higher than that at the organisation Burnsy works for!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 25, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Abdul19

It'll be higher than that at the organisation Burnsy works for!

Oooh - provocative!!!  ;)
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 25, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from BIGChris

There were TEN new banning orders for GTFC but only two arrests for violent disorder!

Probably all for Scunny. What is funny is that Nick Dale thinks that using a programme with the local Youth Offending Service to tackle the problem will do the trick. Preventing trouble before it even starts would be a good start.  
Posted by: Mariner21, September 25, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 19
I doubt he meant all of us ffs!!!!
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), September 25, 2014, 5:57pm; Reply: 20
I've listed to the blob in the past when trying to get a bit of local news and to be fair he's easy to listen to and comes across ok, but his show focuses to much on his sickly obsession with hulls city of culture, grimsby, sxxxxhorpe and the rest don't get a look in, he even slips in topics on his beloved hull city now and then but even the mud rats pull him up on this, how they can class this as a local topical affairs show is beyond me which is why I turn him off.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 25, 2014, 6:16pm; Reply: 21
Didn't hear him Pete...could have been tarring us all with the same brush but that would have been well out of order

Most of us just love Town and even when pushed to the limit can keep the lid on things even when those around us are letting loose on opposing fans / pitch side ads etc

Having said that the first thing someone asked me when I got in to work this morning (on RH's favoured side of the river)...are you one of those Grimsby thugs I heard mentioned this morning?

Who says mud doesn't stick...though being over here, they should all know about mud!  :P

If I could spell it I would sue him for deffimation of character.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 25, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 22
We all know Burns issues are deep rooted with Town, you see the problem with Burns, is he is more frightened of losing his cushy number than be a real broadcaster and tackle what has been eating away at him for years.  I'd rather he get those issues of his chest rather than offer snide remarks every now and then.
Posted by: MarinerWY, September 25, 2014, 7:34pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 1739

Probably all for Scunny. What is funny is that Nick Dale thinks that using a programme with the local Youth Offending Service to tackle the problem will do the trick. Preventing trouble before it even starts would be a good start.  

Given the huge reoffending rates of Young Offenders and the vulnerable, difficult situations many of them are in, I think this can only be a really positive thing. I have quite a bit experience of working with young offenders and the situations of many, whilst not all, would surprise a lot of people - as would the very visible vulnerability, which you tend to see whilst working one-to-one, without a group around them to act up to.

This is not to say that they haven't done things which directly affect and harm others. But support which reduces reoffending and tries to offer postitive alternatives ultimately not only benefits the young person, but with restorative practices the direct victims of offences, and community and societies as a whole as a result of their reduced reoffending rates.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, September 25, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 2578
I've listed to the blob in the past when trying to get a bit of local news and to be fair he's easy to listen to and comes across ok, but his show focuses to much on his sickly obsession with hulls city of culture, grimsby, sxxxxhorpe and the rest don't get a look in, he even slips in topics on his beloved hull city now and then but even the mud rats pull him up on this, how they can class this as a local topical affairs show is beyond me which is why I turn him off.

He's a Town fan.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), September 25, 2014, 7:48pm; Reply: 25

He's a Town fan.

Bollox! Try listening to him for a week and you will realise he loves hull city fc more than his wife.
He was probably towns no.1 fan when we were in the championship and they were locking the gates up at boothferry road.  
Posted by: Richard, September 25, 2014, 7:52pm; Reply: 26
he used to be a w===== and he still is now
Posted by: rancido, September 25, 2014, 8:01pm; Reply: 27
[quote=1143]

No, poor old Scunthorpe supporters were the subject of our nasty behaviour according to Mr Burns.
Normally don't listen to him but he was talking about what was coming up on his morning show and couldn't help have a little dig. The old "whenever I've been to a Grimsby Town game...."[/quote]

The answer is simple then Burnsy , don't go!!!! You won't be missed.
Posted by: sydney, September 25, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 28
Having witnessed the quality of refereeing in the conference we are queuing up for banning orders he he
Come on Town , two home wins now....
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 25, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from MarinerWY

I have quite a bit experience of working with young offenders and the situations of many, whilst not all, would surprise a lot of people - as would the very visible vulnerability, which you tend to see whilst working one-to-one, without a group around them to act up to.

This is the same with all people not just youngsters. You can teach them all you like but as soon as you put them in a group with there friends then it will go out of the window. Its no surprise to see the local media jumping on the bandwagon saying that every single Grimsby Town fan under the age of 21 is a football hooligan and that if you go to Blundell park then you will get your head kicked in. The problem isn't at Blundell Park, it is at away games with big away followings. Out of our 27 arrests 9 were at home and 18 were away. 13 of these were for Alcohol offences, possession or use of fireworks/ pyro and pitch incursion or offences against property (which personally I don't see as major).  2 were for violent disorder and the other 11 were for public disorder. Could it be for the simple fact other police forces are more lenient when it comes to the more minor offences.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 25, 2014, 10:19pm; Reply: 30
Just watching news at ten and the look north snippet before it was "Grimsby Town have more banning orders than some Premier League clubs" ...spoken over clips of Burton footage.

Maybe some good could come of this, if someone in authority checked comparative figures and had the balls to challenge the level of orders, the cases brought and the actual offences committed then maybe a common demoninator would become apparent......one that isnt that we are neanderthal and backward.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, September 25, 2014, 10:43pm; Reply: 31
is it burnsea talking about himself?
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 25, 2014, 11:28pm; Reply: 32
Is he in cahoots with Sacha Baron Cohen and it is part of the film hype pre 'Grimsby' film coming out  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 26, 2014, 1:43am; Reply: 33

Yah booh sucks

If you took all the plastic Prem supporters from Hull's attendance and left just the passionate supporters their hoolie ratio wouldn't be so far from ours!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 26, 2014, 1:44am; Reply: 34
Quoted from MarinerWY

Although a higher proportion than Hull, 10 fans of an average 3,500 is slightly under 0.3% of our currently active fanbase, and significantly less than that in proportion to our overall fanbase.

It's hardly a proportion that justifies singling out GTFC as a club with a problem fanbase. It still leaves 3,490 people who have not recieved banning orders.

With those kinds of numbers (i.e. a handful) one or two overzealous police officers could make all the difference to the stats.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 26, 2014, 8:14am; Reply: 35
Quoted from KingstonMariner

With those kinds of numbers (i.e. a handful) one or two overzealous police officers could make all the difference to the stats.

correct , and in a certain PC Dodds we certainly have one :)

UTM
Posted by: oldun, September 26, 2014, 8:17am; Reply: 36
I agree Burnsey is Hull obsessed and has a downer on GTFC. I did not hear is remarks but if he used those words then he needs to take a long hard look at himself. Having said that we should not try to defend the actions of some so called fans who do the club no favours. It seems we still have a number who go to games with the intention of causing some trouble and alcohol is more often than not the driver. However this minority should not be used to paint a general image of GTFC supporters, of whom the cast majority cause no problems, which why highlighting a particular statistic and using it as a main news story gives the wrong impression.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 26, 2014, 12:28pm; Reply: 37
Marinerz has a pint, this is the prelude to the Grimsby film. Forget the fact that here in Lincoln just this week we've had 10 fans up in court for disturbances at a FRIENDLY with Donny. And that the Lincoln fans jumped the Luton lot a couple of years back in a pub fight akin to a wild west saloon. Grimsby is where it's at, and while there is a problem it's more about what people want to believe or not believe.
Posted by: grimps, September 26, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 38
Lets hope we draw Hull in the cup this season and bump our arrest figures up for next season  ;D
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:42am