Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 24, 2014, 6:57pm
Just been remoured to have resigned from leyton orient.

Cardiff bound?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 24, 2014, 7:03pm; Reply: 1
The one that got away..
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 24, 2014, 7:03pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Cardiff bound?

This story has me baffled as i thought Orient were close to sacking him.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 24, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

This story has me baffled as i thought Orient were close to sacking him.

They said he was one game from getting the sack,

Then refused Cardiff permission to speak to him,
Posted by: wycombemariner, September 24, 2014, 7:08pm; Reply: 4
Go on Russ!
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 24, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 5
Every moment in that mans career just makes me want to ask Fenty what the flipping hell he was thinking hiring Woods.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 24, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew
Every moment in that mans career just makes me want to ask Fenty what the flipping hell he was thinking hiring Woods.

Fenty said he was outvoted,

He wanted Slade but the other board members wanted Woods,

One man one vote.
Posted by: Mariner21, September 24, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 7
I think the overriding words here are 'Fenty said'.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 24, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner21
I think the overriding word here is 'Fenty said'.

Are you saying our John is not honest ?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 24, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 9
Slade, Cardiff, *shudders*.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, September 24, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 10
i'm a little surprised that cardiff want him as manager, he hasn't got any team promoted as manage, where as someone like Nigel Adkins, who has a string of successful promotions.
Posted by: gtfc82, September 24, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pontoonlew

I can still remember getting the text announcing that Woods got the job! My heart sank!!!
Posted by: gaz57, September 24, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 12
A bit ironic if he ends up where it all came to an end with Town.  :-/
Posted by: gary_elton, September 25, 2014, 9:21am; Reply: 13
Out of his depth if he goes to Cardiff....... hoof wudda thought it though...  ;)
Posted by: scrumble, September 25, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 14
Is this the same Slade the fans wanted shot of for his boring route one football?
Posted by: psgmariner, September 25, 2014, 11:56am; Reply: 15
Quoted from scrumble
Is this the same Slade the fans wanted shot of for his boring route one football?

Yeah it's the shite teacher who knew nothing about tactics.
Posted by: Maringer, September 25, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 16
To be fair, I was still surprised to read that he'd never managed to get a club promoted!

He'll need to do better than that to keep Mr Tan happy...
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 25, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair, I was still surprised to read that he'd never managed to get a club promoted!

But if he doesn't he'll no doubt move on somewhere else nicely compensated for whatever time he spends there ...
Posted by: GrimRob, September 25, 2014, 1:06pm; Reply: 18
I thought he lived at Leyton Orient's ground. Going to make it a bit difficult!
Posted by: oldun, September 25, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 19
its all about the money money, all about the money.
Posted by: Trawler, September 25, 2014, 4:02pm; Reply: 20
I think Jessie J said it's NOT about the money. However, she did say:

Seems like everybody's got a price,
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first
And the truth comes second.

Sums up modern day football quite nicely I should say.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 25, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 21
Slade in "intercourse it I'm off to another club" Shocker. The man is a twit and I think hm and Mr Tan are perfectly suited.
Posted by: Codswede, September 25, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Cardiff bound?

A good move for Glen Downey.  ;D
Posted by: marinerjase, September 25, 2014, 4:14pm; Reply: 23
Sladeisace.
Posted by: Squarkus, September 25, 2014, 4:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Maringer

did he not get Yeovil promoted

Posted by: oldun, September 25, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Trawler
I think Jessie J said it's NOT about the money. However, she did say:

Seems like everybody's got a price,
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first
And the truth comes second.

Sums up modern day football quite nicely I should say.

I think my amended lyrics suit football these days and your verse is a perfect fit.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 25, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Squarkus
did he not get Yeovil promoted

No
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 25, 2014, 5:15pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

No

Beat me to it..Gary Johnson was the man who master-minded their promotions

Slade just got them to a play off final
Posted by: forza ivano, September 26, 2014, 10:33am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Slade in "intercourse it I'm off to another club" Shocker. The man is a twit and I think hm and Mr Tan are perfectly suited.

for a twit the man has done pretty well for himself.ex schoolteacher who's been almost permanently employed as a manager for the last 13 years and is close to clocking up 700 games.
he must have something about him
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 26, 2014, 10:53am; Reply: 29
Quoted from jonnyboy82
The one that got away..

I wish people would get over Slade. We played s*** football under him. He had a massive budget for League 2 at the time and he was ultimately undone by managers who played better football and out thought him. This was poignantly underlined in the play-off final in Cardiff when he decided to throw Futcher up front when we had an attacker on the bench. It was woeful. That season, if I remember rightly, we didn't beat any of the top three in the League and, ultimately, lost to Cheltenham in the game that matter.

He went on to Yeovil, where he had very expensive loan signings from Chelsea and Manchester United. They didn't win promotion, despite a play-off appearance, and went into financial downturn after his departure (as, notably, we did). Slade left Yeovil because they wouldn't give him more money. Sound familiar?

On to Leyton Orient, who have some fairly decent signings for the level (it would not surprise me if they had one of the higher budgets in League 1 since his arrival) and he still - as per his other clubs - hasn't won a promotion.

We're better off without and he isn't all some people on here crack him up to be. When we signed him, Scarborough were hardly setting the Conference on fire, they'd simply caused a bit of a stir in the Cup.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 26, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 30
Note: apologies for that rant after now reading the other comments slamming Slade on the thread. I saw the first pro-spade comment and it just riled me.  :P
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, September 26, 2014, 11:12am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Note: apologies for that rant after now reading the other comments slamming Slade on the thread. I saw the first pro-spade comment and it just riled me.  :P

No need to apologize, couldn't have put better myself.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 26, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I wish people would get over Slade. We played s*** football under him. He had a massive budget for League 2 at the time and he was ultimately undone by managers who played better football and out thought him. This was poignantly underlined in the play-off final in Cardiff when he decided to throw Futcher up front when we had an attacker on the bench. It was woeful. That season, if I remember rightly, we didn't beat any of the top three in the League and, ultimately, lost to Cheltenham in the game that matter.

He went on to Yeovil, where he had very expensive loan signings from Chelsea and Manchester United. They didn't win promotion, despite a play-off appearance, and went into financial downturn after his departure (as, notably, we did). Slade left Yeovil because they wouldn't give him more money. Sound familiar?

On to Leyton Orient, who have some fairly decent signings for the level (it would not surprise me if they had one of the higher budgets in League 1 since his arrival) and he still - as per his other clubs - hasn't won a promotion.

We're better off without and he isn't all some people on here crack him up to be. When we signed him, Scarborough were hardly setting the Conference on fire, they'd simply caused a bit of a stir in the Cup.

And how we have pushed right on since he left.

Best manager we had since alan buckley.
Posted by: rancido, September 26, 2014, 1:09pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from jonnyboy82

That's not saying much though is it? He might have been the best of a bad bunch but it doesn't mean he was any good - just better than the rest of the dross we have had.
I just don't get this " rose tinted " view of Russell " super morphing power manager " Slade. He wasn't liked when he was here, produced boring hoof ball and sold us down the river when he couldn't get what he wanted. Fans say his departure was down to Fenty but if that was the case why did he apply to be manager when NW left? If JF had done the dirty on him then surely he wouldn't want to work for him again especially if he was such a good manager. If he was that good then loads of clubs would have wanted him. He is a " nearly man " and always will be.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 26, 2014, 2:12pm; Reply: 34
If he'd come back we'd have stood a better chance of nearly getting relegated.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 26, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 35
Going back to the Cheltenham game at Cardiff,

I was there and I think we lost because Michael Reddy went off injured in the 1st half,

If he had stayed on we would have won imo,

Makes you wonder what would have happened next  don't you think.
Posted by: Tommy, September 26, 2014, 3:12pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Genuine question:

How can people be so pro-Slade and yet so anti-Hurst?

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 3:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.

Yeah, but one of them has been slated for his team's style of route one punting whereas the other...

Oh, wait a minute, that doesn't quite work out.  :P
Posted by: psgmariner, September 26, 2014, 3:38pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

That's a good question as I was (and still am) a big admirer of Slade but remain to be convinced that Hurst is the man to take us up. I guess it is to do with expectation.

Slade got us in the playoff final and almost achieved automatic promotion in the last game of the regular season. He also beat Spurs and got us playing a proper system that, despite not being to everyone's tastes, worked pretty well.

Hurst has the scalp of Scunny away and two playoff semi finals so far. We haven't really developed an established style or system and have never looked like being automatically promoted. Stumbling in to the playoffs is as close as we have come.

Due to our full time status, big crowds and big budget we are always expected to be challenging for the title in non league. In League 2 all teams are full time and our budget and crowds were not the best although I don't have the facts and figures to back that up. Getting Slade's team within 1 game of automatic promotion to League 1 feels a lot bigger than almost reaching a playoff final in the conference.

It is impossible to say how Paul's career will pan out but personally I doubt he will manage in the Championship.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 26, 2014, 3:53pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimsby pete
Going back to the Cheltenham game at Cardiff,

I was there and I think we lost because Michael Reddy went off injured in the 1st half,

If he had stayed on we would have won imo,

Makes you wonder what would have happened next  don't you think.

Or if we'd have been awarded that penalty when Andy Parkinson was clearly fouled in the area.

It's all what if's though and we are where we are now.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 26, 2014, 4:02pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

To be honest, I am not / wasn't impressed by either of them and as you say both achieved sod all so far.

Posted by: Abdul19, September 26, 2014, 4:25pm; Reply: 41
I think a lot of the Slade love comes from him not being appointed in 2009, rather than his actual spell in charge.

I wasn't too fussed when he left, given how the season had ended; but given the 4 FL seasons that followed I look at him as some sort of bald footballing god.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 26, 2014, 4:35pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

Genuine answer..

You can never forget that night against spurs for one..

slade did what he did in a league higher and also got us to a playoff final which hurst has never done..

to compare slade to hurst is pointless, slade is a much better manager.
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 43
The parallels between the two managers are quite surprising, really.

In our 'almost' season under Slade, we were getting results (without playing particularly well a lot of the time) and were around the top of the table for a good part of the season. What we really needed was to strengthen the squad after Christmas, but we singularly failed to do this, signing some very disappointing players such as Mendes and Goodfellow who ultimately weren't nearly good enough. I still remember that hopeless miss by Goodfellow at Orient which should have been tucked away easily and Mendes never once looked like scoring - I think he cleared more goalward shots than he managed! Four draws in the last 5 matches says it all really. The less said about the final at Cardiff, the better, but it was clear that Slade didn't give a monkeys by that point.

The season before last, we were topping the table for a long period, again without playing particularly well at lot of the time. However, we were badly weakened after the departure of Pond (though Miller was a generally good defender) and the signings of Brodie, Devitt, Naylor and, yes, LJL weren't good enough to keep us up towards the top of the table. The failure in the play-offs that year was down to a bit of bad luck in the first game but a poor performance and lack of depth in the squad thereafter.

Both times, the teams didn't perform well enough to deserve promotion.

You'd have to say that Slade has a very good reputation in the game but when you look at his actual achievements, there isn't too much to see. If he gets the Cardiff job, he ought to have a decent chance of doing something, providing the nutty owner keeps spending money and doesn't try to get too involved.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 26, 2014, 6:05pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Maringer
What we really needed was to strengthen the squad after Christmas, but we singularly failed to do this, signing some very disappointing players such as Mendes and Goodfellow who ultimately weren't nearly good enough. I still remember that hopeless miss by Goodfellow at Orient which should have been tucked away easily and Mendes never once looked like scoring - I think he cleared more goalward shots than he managed!

Oh god. Getting rid of Ramsden to sign that fucking donkey Futcher was another masterstroke.
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 26, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Genuine answer..

You can never forget that night against spurs for one..

slade did what he did in a league higher and also got us to a playoff final which hurst has never done..

to compare slade to hurst is pointless, slade is a much better manager.

I find it hilarious that you post a hoof on another thread as a dig at hurst then moments later praise another manager known for his long ball tactics who ultimately did the same as hurst has done so far.....  Fail in the playoffs. The only difference between the history of the two at this club is that hurst hasn't stabbed us in the back yet.

Another genuine question! What will it take for you to change your mind again and get behind the boys and hurst rather than start slagging them off after 26 mins of a match thread via someone else's feedback who has history of making things sound worse than they are for town?

(For the record I do like tondeur)
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, September 27, 2014, 7:31am; Reply: 46
Quoted from psgmariner

Due to our full time status, big crowds and big budget we are always expected to be challenging for the title in non league. In League 2 all teams are full time and our budget and crowds were not the best although I don't have the facts and figures to back that up. Getting Slade's team within 1 game of automatic promotion to League 1 feels a lot bigger than almost reaching a playoff final in the conf.

Except there are three automatic promo places in league two....

And almost a third of the teams either auto promoted or involved in the play offs.

. I reckon its harder to get out of the conference.

Posted by: scrumble, September 27, 2014, 7:52am; Reply: 47
Quoted from 3610

I find it hilarious that you post a hoof on another thread as a dig at hurst then moments later praise another manager known for his long ball tactics who ultimately did the same as hurst has done so far.....  Fail in the playoffs. The only difference between the history of the two at this club is that hurst hasn't stabbed us in the back yet.

Another genuine question! What will it take for you to change your mind again and get behind the boys and hurst rather than start slagging them off after 26 mins of a match thread via someone else's feedback who has history of making things sound worse than they are for town?

(For the record I do like tondeur)

Don't worry, two years after Hurst is sacked he'll be a bloody hero, and the best thing since Buckley.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 27, 2014, 8:05am; Reply: 48
Whilst people are slating Slade they conviniantly ignore the minor miracle he pulled off at Brighton. Who were in a similar boat to us at the time.

He may not have had the promotions and he's perhaps a tad over rated. One thing I'm certain on though, is he would've made a better fist of keeping us up than Woods ever did. A lot of people saw that on the day he was appointed and that's what's so hard to swallow.
Posted by: Maringer, September 27, 2014, 8:43am; Reply: 49
The easiest division to get out of is the 4th Division (OK, "League Two").

As has been noted above, there are 3 automatic promotion spots and a play-off place as well.

Slade's best season with us didn't see us manage to be one of the 3 best teams in the division which isn't exactly a brilliant achievement.

I think he's a generally decent enough manager but I'd be amazed if he achieved anything at Cardiff.
Posted by: gtfc82, September 27, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 50
Quoted from pontoonlew
He may not have had the promotions and he's perhaps a tad over rated. One thing I'm certain on though, is he would've made a better fist of keeping us up than Woods ever did. A lot of people saw that on the day he was appointed and that's what's so hard to swallow.

He definitely wouldn't have needed 20 attempts to win a league match!!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 27, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 51

He's been there for four years! That's longer than most people last in a "normal" job. Or maybe you give everyone at your place of employment abuse in their "sorry you're leaving" cards!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 27, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from GrimRob

He's been there for four years! That's longer than most people last in a "normal" job. Or maybe you give everyone at your place of employment abuse in their "sorry you're leaving" cards!

Well I am a bitter man Rob. I'm wound up by those that forgive him without question and see him as the saviour of GTFC. He plays the same percentage style football as we have now, and I just don't get him.
Like I said I'm bitter...
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 27, 2014, 1:07pm; Reply: 53

Well I am a bitter man Rob. I'm wound up by those that forgive him without question and see him as the saviour of GTFC. He plays the same percentage style football as we have now, and I just don't get him.
Like I said I'm bitter...

That's putting it mildly.... ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, September 27, 2014, 4:24pm; Reply: 54
Sat in the crowd at Cardiff today. Surprise surprise
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 29, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 55
Look out Arsene Wenger!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29411719
Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 56
Look out fans of other clubs in the UK, more to the point!
Posted by: RonMariner, September 30, 2014, 10:08am; Reply: 57
Quoted from gtfc82

He definitely wouldn't have needed 20 attempts to win a league match!!

Exactly. I was never a huge fan of Slade but, though he has never won promotion, he has never been relegated either. And he took over both Brighton and Orient when they looked in dire trouble in L1.  

I think he would have kept us up.  I think most of us believe that. And that is why it was such a numbscull decision to appoint Woods over him.  

We are still paying for that mistake.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 6, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 58
seems imminent:

[img]http://puu.sh/c1Enl/99a0dc172f.png[/img]
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 6, 2014, 7:57pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
seems imminent:

[img]http://puu.sh/c1Enl/99a0dc172f.png[/img]

Slade confirmed as boss of Cardiff.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 10:35pm