Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BraStrap, September 17, 2014, 9:04am
Why do we still keep chanting all this anti-Yorkshire stuff? It's so dated and belongs in the 1970s.

Yorkshire folk are much friendlier and open than Grimsby people who are much more insular and narrow-minded. Yorkshire is a much more inclusive place than Grimsby, is it any wonder we get so few away fans when we make everyone so unwelcome?
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 17, 2014, 9:15am; Reply: 1
Yorkshire is an excellent place - really don't understand the parochial vendetta so many supporters seem to have towards the area. The reason we have no away fans coming to Blundell Park however is because it's in a comparatively remote location, and many teams in this league have poor travelling support. In addition, the Conference usually end up scheduling fixtures that would usually lead to large away followings on stupid days - Luton at home last season on a Tuesday night for example.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 17, 2014, 9:29am; Reply: 2
Quoted from BraStrap
Why do we still keep chanting all this anti-Yorkshire stuff? It's so dated and belongs in the 1970s.

Yorkshire folk are much friendlier and open than Grimsby people who are much more insular and narrow-minded. Yorkshire is a much more inclusive place than Grimsby, is it any wonder we get so few away fans when we make everyone so unwelcome?

Hasn't that statement just done a similar thing?  Not all Grimsby people are insular and narrow-minded, only takes a few gobby ones. That's like going to Elland Road and listening to their anti Man Utd songs and deciding all Yorkshire people are vile.
I agree it's dated though, prehistoric almost but then so are a lot of knuckle dragging fans that have been forever attracted to football games.
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2014, 9:48am; Reply: 3
Quoted from BraStrap

Because not all Grimsby fans are little weeds that wen't to University away somewhere then spend the rest of their time slagging their home Town off . Not all of us will spend our working career (when you finally do get a job) in some civil service office contentiously  screaming , racist, homophobic , or bigot at people that dont quite have you utopic outlook on life.
Most people that I grew up with can go to the pub and be totally abused about a number of things by their own best mates and laugh it off , in fact most give a little bit back.
I've never gone home and cried after anyone sung Fishy songs about us at a game and I'd be surprised if any of the Yorkies lost any sleep last night , but like a typical left leaner you've decided to be offended for them.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 17, 2014, 10:05am; Reply: 4
I suppose it's a bit like away fans still thinking we all stink of fish!
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 17, 2014, 10:41am; Reply: 5
Quoted from BraStrap

Oh dear are you upset at some of the banter that goes on at football matches, grow a pair for God's sake.

And as for Yorkshire folk, having lived in Yorkshire for the past 25 years I can confirm they are just as fooking miserable, insular and narrowminded as the rest of the country.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 17, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 6
And as for the lack of away fans, that must have been the reason why Hayes & Yeading and the rest didn't bring a couple of thousand fans with them.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 17, 2014, 10:49am; Reply: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry
And as for the lack of away fans, that must have been the reason why Hayes & Yeading and the rest didn't bring a couple of thousand fans with them.

It's another reason Lincoln could use though?  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, September 17, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin
I suppose it's a bit like away fans still thinking we all stink of fish!

Not quite the same as singing songs in praise of the Yorkshire Ripper. There's probably people in the crowd who would be horrified if they made out what we were singing.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 17, 2014, 11:07am; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimps

contentiously  screaming , racist, homophobic , or bigot at people that dont quite have you utopic outlook on life.

One of the most sinister statements I've seen on here for a while  :-/
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2014, 1:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

One of the most sinister statements I've seen on here for a while  :-/

Really ?
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, September 17, 2014, 1:57pm; Reply: 11
Maybe we should create an intimidating atmosphere by politely clapping and singing Grimsby Grimsby Ra Ra Ra ?
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 17, 2014, 2:00pm; Reply: 12
I've hated Yorkshire ever since junior school where the music teacher made the class sing Ilkley Moor bar t'at, over and over and over and over aaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh fcuk off

[youtube]qWXwqEGdWLc[/youtube]

Fcuk Yorkshire
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, September 17, 2014, 3:14pm; Reply: 13
It did amuse me last night when the Halifax crowd started chanting 'Your support is fvcking sh1t'..... Seriously? We had 456 away fans in a crowd of 1876! Lets see how many they bring to BP!
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 17, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 14
A lot of this is just good humoured banter,

You do get the odd idiot that takes it too far,

BUT

I like Yorkshire , I might go live there when they get independence. :)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 17, 2014, 3:23pm; Reply: 15
I went with my mate from work last night. He's a Halifax fan so I was in their end (he's was in our end last year with a very smug grin on) I've got to say it was a little   it awkward when he asked me what "your fans are signing about Peter Sutcliffe?"
Posted by: psgmariner, September 17, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
It did amuse me last night when the Halifax crowd started chanting 'Your support is fvcking sh1t'..... Seriously? We had 456 away fans in a crowd of 1876! Lets see how many they bring to BP!

They brought 400 odd to Blundell Park on a Tuesday night last season didn't they? We average 3 times more than them at home so it was a bit excrement. Recent results are to blame I guess.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), September 17, 2014, 3:37pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from BraStrap

Who's this Paul Hurst or Malcolm Wright Pratt?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 17, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from psgmariner

They brought 400 odd to Blundell Park on a Tuesday night last season didn't they? We average 3 times more than them at home so it was a bit excrement. Recent results are to blame I guess.

I think the 4-0 last time may have put a few people off
Posted by: RichMariner, September 17, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 19
Went to university in Huddersfield, lived there for 4 years, moved to Leeds and have been living there for 6 years now.

I don't support any other football club other than Grimsby, but I enjoy living and working in Yorkshire. I can get back to Grimsby in a little over an hour. I'm extremely fond of Grimsby, I'm proud of my heritage and my family's heritage. I never slag it off and I never make out I'm from anywhere else.

I'll always love Grimsby, but I've also learnt to love Yorkshire. And while I might join in some anti-Yorkshire songs at Town matches (never any Sutcliffe related ones though) I'm fully aware that this is done, rightly or wrongly, out of habit. It keeps old traditions and rivalries alive (which, if we're being honest, have long gone).

No one seemed to mind that so many of our players down the years - Lever, Donovan, Bolland, Hegarty (hehe) and current manager Hurst - are from Yorkshire.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 17, 2014, 3:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from BraStrap

We don't mean it literally.

I think it might be termed banter.

Next you will be offended by people who use semi naked women as their avatar.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 17, 2014, 3:51pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from psgmariner

They brought 400 odd to Blundell Park on a Tuesday night last season didn't they?

To a biggish end of season game.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 17, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's another reason Lincoln could use though?  ;)

Yes there is that as well as the "it's snowed a bit" excuse.  
Posted by: TonySmith, September 17, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 23
I remember being disgusted by the Peter Sutcliffe thing back in the early '80's. It was pathetic and embarrassing back then and now it's also ridiculously outdated. As for "We hate Yorkies," I'm a Town fan who moved to Grimsby at age 11 after being born and  raised in Bradford and Halifax so I always thought it was particularly stupid. Can't we just save the irrational dislike for Lincoln and Scunthorpe? Oh, and the Scots, I'm o.k. with that!  ;)
Posted by: Tom13, September 17, 2014, 4:11pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

To a biggish end of season game.

And they were on quite a run at the time as well.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 17, 2014, 4:17pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from TonySmith
I remember being disgusted by the Peter Sutcliffe thing back in the early '80's. It was pathetic and embarrassing back then and now it's also ridiculously outdated. As for "We hate Yorkies," I'm a Town fan who moved to Grimsby at age 11 after being born and  raised in Bradford and Halifax so I always thought it was particularly stupid. Can't we just save the irrational dislike for Lincoln and Scunthorpe? Oh, and the Scots, I'm o.k. with that!  ;)

Well you should have said.

The fans could have sung "we hate Yorkies, excepting for Tony Smith who although born in Yorkshire is a Town fan"
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TonySmith

Look here's a little secret seeing as you are nearly one of us now, The Peter Sutcliffe isn't really our friend and we don't really hate anyone  ;)
Now calm down and stop getting your knickers in a twist.
Posted by: livosnose, September 17, 2014, 5:55pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from RichMariner
Went to university in Huddersfield, lived there for 4 years, moved to Leeds and have been living there for 6 years now.

I don't support any other football club other than Grimsby, but I enjoy living and working in Yorkshire. I can get back to Grimsby in a little over an hour. I'm extremely fond of Grimsby, I'm proud of my heritage and my family's heritage. I never slag it off and I never make out I'm from anywhere else.

I'll always love Grimsby, but I've also learnt to love Yorkshire. And while I might join in some anti-Yorkshire songs at Town matches (never any Sutcliffe related ones though) I'm fully aware that this is done, rightly or wrongly, out of habit. It keeps old traditions and rivalries alive (which, if we're being honest, have long gone).

No one seemed to mind that so many of our players down the years - Lever, Donovan, Bolland, Hegarty
(hehe) and current manager Hurst - are from Yorkshire.

Don't forget Boshell and Colbeck.....

Posted by: TonySmith, September 17, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 28
"Well you should have said.

The fans could have sung "we hate Yorkies, excepting for Tony Smith who although born in Yorkshire is a Town fan."

Yeah, that would have been o.k.  ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 17, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 29
Still makes me chuckle after all these years that a yorksh1te paper (Sheffield? ) had a headline asking why grimsby fans stood up when singing they hated their kids
Posted by: BraStrap, September 17, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 30
It might be meant to be light hearted to some people but I don't see much difference between singing about the Yorkshire Ripper and chanting about gas chambers to Spurs fans.

We welcome fans to Grimsby by songs celebrating people who have been killed in their towns, chucking bricks through their coach windows and telling them we despoil their fish.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 17, 2014, 8:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from BraStrap
It might be meant to be light hearted to some people but I don't see much difference between singing about the Yorkshire Ripper and chanting about gas chambers to Spurs fans.

We welcome fans to Grimsby by songs celebrating people who have been killed in their towns, chucking bricks through their coach windows and telling them we despoil their fish.

Right name as you sound a right mammary!

No offence just banter and lets be honest town fans are no better or worse than any others with Munich songs, jews paedaphile etc does not make it right. In the seventies we in the Ponny sang Harry Roberts is our king he kills coppers. Pathetic when you look back but the tribalism that comes with being a football fan is part of the excitement for many and what helps make match days.

Sounds like you should have attended matches in the post war years with rattles and rosettes which I am sure were great times to attend any sporting event, but as England fans sing " two world wars & one world cup".
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 17, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from BraStrap

Do you want a tissue? Do you want everyone who attends football match to sit there in silence and not make a sound or movement? We should put all of our rivalry's aside and hug our rivals instead and just take away the competitive element of football.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 17, 2014, 8:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from BraStrap

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/dens6t.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Teesknees, September 17, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg&feature=player_detailpage
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 17, 2014, 8:39pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Teesknees

;D

[youtube]jY4tD2Hbg_A[/youtube]
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 17, 2014, 8:52pm; Reply: 36
They are wasted on the likes of Halifax anyway.

In the good old days of anti-Yorkie chants we were actually playing sides like Barnsley, Sheff Utd/Wed, Rotherham, Hull, even Leeds .......... there were huge crowds at their grounds, big followings from here and big crowds at BP.

I would just point out that all those sides are in the Football League while we are pushing up daisies in the Conference. We are not too likely to meet a decent Yorkshire side in the foreseeable future so we might as well junk the chants.

And I too am a Yorkie from Leeds who was transplanted to Grimsby by my parents in the 1950s. Broke my heart until I discovered Blundell Park.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 17, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from BraStrap

Top trolling fella,

Your getting quite a few good bites.

Nice routine and worked quite well.

Good to see a bit of originality back to the board as opposed to the same old
Rose Tinted Brigade Versus Fenty Haters bollox.

Just out of interest though. Do you think Danny North could be the solution to out striker problem at the moment ???
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 17, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from BraStrap

Are you one of them there trolls?

If you are you are you are very good at it - you are increasing my blood pressure every time I read one of your "arty farty,  namby pamby, politically correct, haughty toity"  diatribes.

Thanks to Inspector Grimm of the thin Blue Line for the above. A man after my own heart.
Posted by: BraStrap, September 17, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 39
My final say is just to point out the only difference between what we do and what others do is people notice - this is from a right wing paper as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2238551/West-Ham-fans-anti-Semitic-chants-Tottenham-disgraced-football.html
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 17, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 40
REMOVED BY MODERATOR
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 17, 2014, 11:25pm; Reply: 41
Nowt wrong with Yorkies, nice people >> [url=http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?214283-Petition-New-Stadium-Grimsby-Town&p=1550033&mode=linear#post1550033]http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?214283-Petition-New-Stadium-Grimsby-Town&p=1550033&mode=linear#post1550033[/url]
Posted by: petethemariner, September 17, 2014, 11:59pm; Reply: 42
Judging by those comments i have to agree Nelly, i have always considered Barnsley
and Grimsby to be clubs of a similar stature, so it proves how far we have declined in relation to
them - some great comments on their site and mostly friendly, changed my opinion of them
a bit, could never say the same thing about  Leeds though!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 18, 2014, 12:33am; Reply: 43
Quoted from petethemariner
Judging by those comments i have to agree Nelly, i have always considered Barnsley
and Grimsby to be clubs of a similar stature, so it proves how far we have declined in relation to
them - some great comments on their site and mostly friendly, changed my opinion of them
The majority of fans out there are nice friendly people.  Quite a few people in the Conference Premier have signed the petition, it actually surprised me because with us being equals in terms of league status I expected more animosity, but not the case at all really, be nice to people, and usually they are nice back.  :)

When we played Huddersfield in the FA Cup their was a few people on there forums that treated us with no respect whatsoever, but then again some did, when it came round to getting signatures I didn't get as much response as I thought... depends on club to club.

Hull City are the only forum that will not accept me on their forums, so yeah down to individuals running the forums, probally thought I was going to troll their forums being a Grimsby Town fan.  I know 4 families from Hull, and one from Donny who moved to Grimsby! I guess it can't be that much of a bad place afterall lol. :)

See even the Donny fans don't mind us lol >> [url=http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=248469.0]http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=248469.0[/url]

I didn't bother doing the Burton Albion forums after what happend when we dropped out the league, some things bite you back in the foot one way or another, bet they think we are all scumbags.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 18, 2014, 9:06am; Reply: 44
I like the way some people on this thread defend the chants as harmless banter that won't offend anyone and people shouldn't be so sensitive. Yet they have been spectacularly quick to take offence and get angry at someone criticising the people of Grimsby for singing those songs. Seems its only other towns that should take it with a shrug and a smile.
Posted by: gary_elton, September 18, 2014, 9:19am; Reply: 45
Lived in Scarborough for 6 years... lived in Harrogate for 7 years... great places... beautiful county..

and 75% of the people are reet grand... but that 25% can be the most stubborn.. ignorant.. know it all
brain dead w@nkers on this Earth....

Ah say wottah lahk... an' ah lahk wottah say....   (smash)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2014, 9:29am; Reply: 46
Quoted from petethemariner

Great shout, Barnsley, Rotherham, Bradford City are the sort of clubs we used to be. The Sheffield clubs and Leeds always thought they were a bit better though so it was always special to beat them.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 9:36am; Reply: 47
It's just footie bantz.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 48
Cheerfully singing a song about a man who murdered a number of defenceless women is particularly lacking in class, if you ask me.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 9:55am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Maringer
Cheerfully singing a song about a man who murdered a number of defenceless women is particularly lacking in class, if you ask me.

Football chants are not really meant to be things of class though are they?

I would be intrigued to see a "classy" song sung by non league loser football fans.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 10:13am; Reply: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Great shout, Barnsley, Rotherham, Bradford City are the sort of clubs we used to be. The Sheffield clubs and Leeds always thought they were a bit better though so it was always special to beat them.

Yes indeed. The worst experience I ever had outside a football ground was at Millmoor in the early 80s when we were walking back to the car actually talking to Rotherham supporters when a hail of bricks came down on us. We were blocked in the street for about 5 minutes until the police arrived.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 18, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 51
Oh look, people are hiding their prejudiced and offensive views behind the phrase 'banter' again. If you do this, you're a tosser. There's a big difference between singing songs which take the urine out of Yorkshire and songs which essentially glorify the actions of a murderer. If you don't understand this nuance, again, you're a tosser.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 11:14am; Reply: 52
My use of the word "bantz" was ironic. Banter is my pet hate at the moment.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 18, 2014, 11:29am; Reply: 53
Quoted from psgmariner
My use of the word "bantz" was ironic. Banter is my pet hate at the moment.

I don't believe you. We're like Brent & Finchy when we get together. #epicBantz
Posted by: LH, September 18, 2014, 11:39am; Reply: 54
Some people on here clearly aren't LADs.
Posted by: WetFlannel, September 20, 2014, 3:05pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Chrisblor
Oh look, people are hiding their prejudiced and offensive views behind the phrase 'banter' again. If you do this, you're a tosser. There's a big difference between singing songs which take the urine out of Yorkshire and songs which essentially glorify the actions of a murderer. If you don't understand this nuance, again, you're a tosser.

Pray, tell me a single prejudiced opinion in the Yorkshire ripper song? :)

Posted by: 97 (Guest), September 20, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 56
Yorkshire ripper song has always made me cringe. Worn my Town shirt all over Yorkshire and more often than not it has prompted respect. However I don't go to Hull...

utm 8)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 20, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 97
Yorkshire ripper song has always made me cringe. Worn my Town shirt all over Yorkshire and more often than not it has prompted respect. However I don't go to Hull...

utm 8)

If you did it now it would more likely prompt pity. ;)

Posted by: Eastendmariner, September 20, 2014, 10:04pm; Reply: 58
Nearly being knifed at Sheffield weds in 75 numerous run ins with Barnsley Sheffield u and Wednesday scum oh and Leeds in 81 when some Pisa£d up scumbag decided to kick a old man and his dog over a fence in Cleese after the game !! Can't say that old age has made me warm to the yorkies !! The plus net advert  blzzdy annoying.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:35am