Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2014, 10:21am
Do you believe Paul Hurst can get Grimsby Town FC back into Div 2?
Posted by: ackomariner, September 15, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 1
No
Posted by: RoboCod, September 15, 2014, 10:27am; Reply: 2
Maybe  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 15, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 3
I was (thumbup) but now I am  (thumbdown)
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 4
Yes.

Will he, though? That's the question!
Posted by: denni266, September 15, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 5
no
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 15, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 6
NO
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 15, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Do you believe Paul Hurst can get Grimsby Town FC back into Div 2?

Do you attend any games?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 15, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 8
No. Division 2 doesn't exist.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 15, 2014, 11:37am; Reply: 9
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
No. Division 2 doesn't exist.

It does in old money.

UTM
Posted by: cleefish, September 15, 2014, 12:04pm; Reply: 10
:( :( :( :( no

Posted by: TAGG, September 15, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 11
NO
Posted by: Abdul19, September 15, 2014, 12:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from mariner tommy

It does in old money.

UTM

I think 3 promotions might be pushing it!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 15, 2014, 12:46pm; Reply: 13
No
Posted by: RichMariner, September 15, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 14
I wonder what the response would've been like had the question been asked immediately after the Alfreton match.

No (but desperate to be proved wrong).
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 15, 2014, 1:06pm; Reply: 15
No
Posted by: Harry Haddock, September 15, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 16
Old Codger doesn't post after games we win
Posted by: chicaneuk, September 15, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 17
No.

(I used to think yes, now I don't think so..)
Posted by: Caesar, September 15, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 18
Yes.

Am not convinced he will but think he can do it, and hope he does
Posted by: Garth, September 15, 2014, 1:30pm; Reply: 19
No,  but his teams will always finish in the top six, just think he is a nearly man similar to Moyes, hope he proves me wrong
Posted by: mariner91, September 15, 2014, 1:32pm; Reply: 20
I think he can but he needs a hefty amount of luck. He gets his teams nearly there, a bit of luck would maybe get it done.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, September 15, 2014, 2:35pm; Reply: 21
Not in a million years, NO !!!!!!
Posted by: lobsterpot, September 15, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 22
No but then again it's nothing personel. I don't think anyone can! It's about time the players took abit of responsibility for a change!
Posted by: barralad, September 15, 2014, 2:47pm; Reply: 23
Yes-No surprise there.....
Posted by: gytone, September 15, 2014, 2:55pm; Reply: 24
No, hope to be proved wrong though !
Posted by: bluebottle, September 15, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 25
No. But if he does what WE tell him to do, then Yes.
Posted by: grimps, September 15, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 26
No chance this season
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 15, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 27
No, but then again I don't think anyone can since the club appears to be permanently cursed.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2014, 5:05pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Do you attend any games?

Yes - but not this season yet, two weeks tomorrow!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Harry Haddock
Old Codger doesn't post after games we win

I post after every game.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 15, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from barralad
Yes-No surprise there.....

Were you one of those that said Neil Woods would keep us up?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 15, 2014, 5:49pm; Reply: 31
No unfortunately :-/
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 15, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes - but not this season yet, two weeks tomorrow!

Why are you in such a rush to see the back of a manager who's team you haven't seen play? I wonder how many of those who attend regularly are so keen to see the back of him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2014, 10:41pm; Reply: 33

Why are you in such a rush to see the back of a manager who's team you haven't seen play? I wonder how many of those who attend regularly are so keen to see the back of him.

Saw enough over past seasons to know that I have little or no faith in him. Woking last season and his negative attitude before, during and after the game showed him in his true colours.
Posted by: DavidB, September 16, 2014, 7:55am; Reply: 34
Yes, he's quite capable of managing a squad to achieve promotion.

Whilst automatic promotion would be ideal, and avoid a nervous May, via the play-offs is more likely (and I presume is PH and JF's minimum target - winning them, like any game, is less certain). It's a season-long objective, and should be judged over that time (unless it's clear that it won't be possible without a change in personnel, and that's not the case currently in my opinion).

And despite the variable results so far this season, the play-offs are still very achievable - it's a good quality squad (for this level). Two important factors though are 1) injuries - the squad has been badly hit so far (how many games has the full squad been available?!); and 2) confidence - last season PH demonstrated that he could bring together a very close and committed group of players, the risk to achieving that again with this season's squad is if pressure and criticism mounts.
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 16, 2014, 9:05am; Reply: 35
No
Posted by: Garth, September 16, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 36
If it does not happen this year most of the players will be gone as will the manager, which makes it all the more urgent that we get our finger out and sign more players of the caliber to do it this time, Luton made that final push but not on a shoe string
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2014, 9:35am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth
If it does not happen this year most of the players will be gone as will the manager, which makes it all the more urgent that we get our finger out and sign more players of the caliber to do it this time, Luton made that final push but not on a shoe string

Nail on head. Promotion will not come cheap.
Posted by: northbankmariner, September 16, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 38
Let's face it, we are just not quite good enough, not bad by any means, just unlucky/unfortunate but finding consistency is a massive problem.
Posted by: Grimal, September 16, 2014, 12:04pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nail on head. Promotion will not come cheap.

You are right there,just ask the FGR owner,he's spent millions,changed managers and he still hasn't got promotion.

Posted by: psgmariner, September 16, 2014, 12:24pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Chrisblor
No, but then again I don't think anyone can since the club appears to be permanently cursed.

This.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 41

those who attend regularly (me included) might just be losing the last piece of patience they had right now.

there is a chap who sits near me he is always positive and hates negativity towards hurst or the team on a matchday now even he is on the verge of just admitting it might be time for a change.

I don't get why seeing  a manager who has had a long crack at a club , achieved nowt and has even turned sladeball into things of dreams is seen as a backward step when people say his time is up.

their is no right or wrong its what the majority of the fans want (the poll on the fishy also suggests this) , a fresh approach with fresh ideas is that so bad ?

Posted by: Maringer, September 16, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from northbankmariner
Let's face it, we are just not quite good enough, not bad by any means, just unlucky/unfortunate but finding consistency is a massive problem.

I think this is just the right point.

The last two seasons, we never looked good enough to win promotion, even when we topped the table for a while. It inevitably dropped off and then, when decisions and incidents went against us in the play-off matches, we weren't good enough to turn things around.

This season, I still think that our full-strength team is considerably better than the one from last season. Unfortunately, we're light on numbers both at the back and up front especially and we've been particularly unlucky with injuries so a few more players are certainly needed. I'm actually surprised that as cautious a man as Hurst hasn't sorted the striker situation out before now. I can only imagine he expected to be able to agree a few more signings which all fell through and he's started from scratch when looking from players once again.

Defenders aren't such an issue as we still have some cover there and it tends to be easier to get defenders in on loan than strikers. Most managers prefer to have a larger number of spare strikers available to select than defenders - Colin male masturbator, for example!

With a few more decent players, I'd be hopeful for the season even now, but the question is whether or not we can find them?
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 10:03pm