Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: TAGG, September 14, 2014, 11:08am
In my opinion should have gone last Xmas and nothing he's done since has made me change my mind.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 1
I will vote in 4 games time.

BUT

IMO time is running out.
Posted by: mariner91, September 14, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 2
Undecided right now. Personally think he has a month to sort out the glaring problems with our squad and our play.
Posted by: davmariner, September 14, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 3
At this stage last season we were two points better off in a weaker league. There are more teams this season that will challenge at the top. As others have also said, for me he has a few more games to sort things out. Stay for now.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 4
people keep saying 4 more games for what so we can scrape a draw manage a win then lose two on the trot then we give him another 4 games?

but when is it the right time ?

if he is to go it needs to be now so someone can hopefully salvage what is already a deja vu season.

fenty hasn't got the balls.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, September 14, 2014, 1:59pm; Reply: 5
Go. i simply do not beleive we will get promoted with him in charge. End of.

The team is decent and in fact has been over the last couple of years. IMO Hurst does not get the best out of his players.  I think the talent level we have is good enough.

That said there are no candidates that spring to mind who are available right now. Not sure Town would want to or indeed have the £££ to pay off Hurst and possibly compo to another manager's team.

This is not a time for unproven track records....we need a guy who has proven himself with success at this level.

Have said it before we should have got someone like Mills last year when Scott went. I really believe someone like him would have got us over the line last year.

Posted by: Vance Warner, September 14, 2014, 2:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from TAGG
In my opinion should have gone last Xmas and nothing he's done since has made me change my mind.

Strange that seeing as we were 3rd on Boxing Day with games in hand. Suggests that you, like many others have got a personal agenda with the bloke.
Posted by: Mariner21, September 14, 2014, 2:23pm; Reply: 7
Go! He's not up to it.  His tactics are embarrassing. He's got a dull personality and the majority of time his team plays that way. It's just a matter of time now.
Posted by: Badger57, September 14, 2014, 3:33pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner21
Go! He's not up to it.  His tactics are embarrassing. He's got a dull personality and the majority of time his team plays that way. It's just a matter of time now.

It's been ticking for far too long now as well. Sooner, MUCH sooner rather than later please or else this season is going to be another write off.  :o
Posted by: denni266, September 14, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 9
he should spend today.. Sunday . clearing his desk out for a real manager to sit at
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2014, 5:42pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from denni266
he should spend today.. Sunday . clearing his desk out for a real manager to sit at

Ancelotti?
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 14, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 11
75 % Mr Fenty. Please do it before we get to January and realise we have left it to late. You said that it was a 3 year project to get out of this league. Well this 'project' is now into its 4th year with Paul Hurst and has now failed and we must start a new one with someone with fresh ideas.
Posted by: ROKERITE, September 14, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 12
Three weeks is a long time in football. Three weeks ago tomorrow Grimsby Town followed up a 1-6 win at Gateshead with a 7-0 thrashing of Alfreton Town.
Posted by: poomehellt, September 14, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 13
Voted for him to stay...but for me he has 2 games to save his job.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 14, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 14
At the end of the season we could of let Hurst go without having to pay up any contract, then we could of used some money to go after a decent manager at another club.

Now we will have to pay up his contract for the current season, and probally go after someone who isn't in a job due to having to pay compensation.

Kinda sucks as I would of wanted someone like Micky Mellon now at Shrewsbury, or John Coleman now at Sligo Rovers who was also available at the end of last season.

Paolo Di Canio is available.   Free Pizza all round! ;D
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, September 14, 2014, 5:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mariner91
Undecided right now. Personally think he has a month to sort out the glaring problems with our squad and our play.

Didn't sort it out last year and hasn't sorted it this year. What the hell will another month prove other than another month closer to another season in this league

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2014, 5:55pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

Didn't sort it out last year and hasn't sorted it this year. What the hell will another month prove other than another month closer to another season in this league

Well said that man.  8)
Posted by: Quagmire, September 14, 2014, 6:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
At the end of the season we could of let Hurst go without having to pay up any contract, then we could of used some money to go after a decent manager at another club.

Now we will have to pay up his contract for the current season

He has a one year rolling contract as far as I'm aware so it doesn't matter when he gets the push, we'll end up paying a years salary as compo to him.

Posted by: Garth, September 14, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

Can`t argue with that,  just that its got to be a move that won`t go t1ts up by employing some one who may be worse, its a calculated risk that may pay off
Posted by: Hagrid, September 14, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 19
Just been in Grimsby Cricket Club, a bloke in there whos in the know, has heard from a source we all know, that hurst is sacked or on the verge of. Merely passing on what ive been told, source is normally reliable so i await and see
Posted by: denni266, September 14, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Hagrid
Just been in Grimsby Cricket Club, a bloke in there whos in the know, has heard from a source we all know, that hurst is sacked or on the verge of. Merely passing on what ive been told, source is normally reliable so i await and see

Please let this be true.  
Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 21
Not as close as the Scottish referendum. We shouldn't sack him until we have agreed on a replacement. No point having 2 weeks of limbo then getting someone inferior. Or a caretaker who gets a couple of good results then turns out to be rubbish. Still think we should stick with what we have, it's got us in the play-offs twice alread, it's going to cost what a hundred grand at least to get rid of him  and pay for a replacement and maybe new players.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 14, 2014, 7:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Quagmire
He has a one year rolling contract as far as I'm aware so it doesn't matter when he gets the push, we'll end up paying a years salary as compo to him.
Yeah you're totally right! Just looked it up here >> [url=http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s115/st73284.htm]http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s115/st73284.htm[/url]

I wonder if the budget for the year takes into account the possability of a termination of contract?
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, September 14, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 23
Alan Devonshire does a fantastic job at Braintree with little cash... doubt he'd want to come up north though
Steve Burr would get our 4-3-3 going a treat IMO

Hurst is the architect of his own apparent downfall - tinkering with a winning team and a team that looks to be slick, fast paced and full of goal threat
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GrimRob
Not as close as the Scottish referendum. We shouldn't sack him until we have agreed on a replacement. No point having 2 weeks of limbo then getting someone inferior. Or a caretaker who gets a couple of good results then turns out to be rubbish. Still think we should stick with what we have, it's got us in the play-offs twice alread, it's going to cost what a hundred grand at least to get rid of him  and pay for a replacement and maybe new players.

And it's going to cost £100k + a year in lost gate receipts if he stays!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yeah you're totally right! Just looked it up here >> [url=http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s115/st73284.htm]http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s115/st73284.htm[/url]

I wonder if the budget for the year takes into account the possability of a termination of contract?

Of course it doesn't. All our players are PH players too. Get rid of him and you might as well kiss goodbye to this season. The time to sack him is in the summer when all the players nearly are out of contract. Then the new manager can get his own men.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid

I think i just got a semi.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 14, 2014, 7:27pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GrimRob

Of course it doesn't. All our players are PH players too. Get rid of him and you might as well kiss goodbye to this season. The time to sack him is in the summer when all the players nearly are out of contract. Then the new manager can get his own men.

There is no this season on current performances and inconsistencies Rob.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And it's going to cost £100k + a year in lost gate receipts if he stays!

Utter balderdash that people keep claiming and I keep pointing our that PH has added something like 400 to the gate from his predecessor - as of last season. He actually more than pays his own wages with this fact alone.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GrimRob

Utter balderdash that people keep claiming and I keep pointing our that PH has added something like 400 to the gate from his predecessor - as of last season. He actually more than pays his own wages with this fact alone.

Well he has just lost over 400 in a week.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 14, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 30
If Paul does go or is sacked, it is imperative that we get the right person in, for me it must be somebody with experience of this league and preferably got a team promoted from this league, the question is...who?
Posted by: timmo, September 14, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob

Disagree with this 1 Rob.

The new man can cast his eye over the squad and decide where he needs to strengthen. In the summer all our players are out of contact where as he would need to sign 1 or 2 players in Jan, in the summer your talking about a whole new squad.

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 14, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 32
I voted for "Stay".  So soon after 2 excellent wins and having an above average number of injuries. He might not yet be passed his sell-by date.

Sacking will mess up this season.  A new manager will want more money for new players.  Transition takes time and we do not really have it.  We will have to pay compensation to PH as well. A new manager might not be any better.

BUT:
I went yesterday and it was dire - especially in the first half.  I am sick of the way we do not play to our strengths, that we change formation to stop an average team and that there is too much tinkering with the team. We need to be positive and confident about our abilities and let teams worry about us, not the other way round!.  We have said this often enough.

I would give Hurst a few more games.  My patience is wearing very thin and the team are not exciting to watch at present.  (I missed the big 2 wins).  
Posted by: nightrider, September 14, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 33
Not a fan of hurst and think we should have parted company after the playoffs but imo nothing has changed since last season so why get rid now

Who honestly thought he had it in him to win the league?! If we make the playoffs he's done a good job and deserves to stay.
The fact is, we aren't as big a club as people make out. Were one of about 10 teams who can win it. What's this now, the 4th season?
We could still be non league in 20years.

I keep saying this but if you don't have a 30goal a season man you will not win the league. Everyone harps on about the '98 team not having a high scorer but we only finished 3rd. The playoffs are a lottery. We don't have a winger that's gonna score 20 either. Or do we.
His main striker is not only appalling at shooting but he must be a nightmare to play with. Its no wonder that every one of his strike partners has failed to score.
All he does is make a nuisance of himself but he can't shoot, he can't pass, fouls and spends half the time on the floor.
We might get into the playoffs without a goalscorer but we won't win the league.
Pitman linked up well but he'd probably do ok with anyone
He needs at least 2 more players. I reckon if he was able to find a player similar to pitman who can stay fit, give mackreth more of a run, bring in the likes of boyce, play the best team, get them to show the same minerals as the lincoln team did, we'll easily make the playoffs

I look at the fixtures though and none of them look like easy games at the anymore! However he decides to set up on tues, Its important not to lose. A point would be a great result at the minute
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Hagrid

How could he be 'sacked' or 'on the verge of'? Surely you're either sacked or you're not. If the board had already sacked Hurst we'd know wouldn't we. If he's supposedly 'on the verge' of being sacked, how does that come about and then make it's way round a cricket club as a piece of info passed on by others? There are either some very unprofessional and unscrupulous people at GTFC to let that info leak or there are some tellers of tall tales at the cricket club.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from chaos33

How could he be 'sacked' or 'on the verge of'? Surely you're either sacked or you're not. If the board had already sacked Hurst we'd know wouldn't we. If he's supposedly 'on the verge' of being sacked, how does that come about and then make it's way round a cricket club as a piece of info passed on by others? There are either some very unprofessional and unscrupulous people at GTFC to let that info leak or there are some tellers of tall tales at the cricket club.

Cant you just let me pretend this is true for at least half hour before you go ripping it all out of me with rational thinking.
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 36
:) Sorry mate, yeah, go right ahead.

I think we have to ask ourselves what we know of Fenty and the board. Can people really see Hurst being sacked now? I can't. If it is to happen at all, I think it would take two poor results this week (ie, two more defeats) followed by a failure to beat Chester at home (and a sub 3000 crowd). Without that sequence of events I just cannot see Hurst being dismissed imminently.
This is all very unsavoury, unfortunate and unhelpful. I don't mean the rumour, I mean the whole situation. So, so disappointing after the renewed hope pre-season and the promise shown in those two big wins. I know the writing has been on the wall for all of 2014 pretty much.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 14, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 37
Feel for hurst i know for a fact hes very professional in all he does but unfortunately i dont think he will end our exile in hell, like luton did we must roll the dice til we get it right and that time is now
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 14, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from chaos33

Not saying it is true but decision may have been made and respective legal reps agreeing compensation, announcement content etc before officially leaked. Insiders who attend or provide support at such meetings which means Hagrid has probably revealed to JF who the source of the leak is. Of course could be rubbish but there are several examples of the public knowing before the affected manager.
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 39
Yeah I understand that, but there's a whole lot of supposition there.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah I understand that, but there's a whole lot of supposition there.

The thing is this is grimsby town and john fenty ,we dont do normal.
Posted by: TAGG, September 14, 2014, 9:15pm; Reply: 41
What is the stance of the Trust guys on the board.
Do they go with there own opinions(what ever that may be) or put forward the clear ground swell of opinion that Hurst should be sacked????  
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 42
BC hasn't been around recently so without his insight, who knows.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well he has just lost over 400 in a week.

Considering the previous two home games have seen 9 Town goals without reply then there were probably other factors for low gate on Saturday.
Posted by: Grimal, September 14, 2014, 10:36pm; Reply: 44
With over 70% on here wanting Paul Hurst to be sacked ASAP. I'm wondering if the main Tread on the fishy tomorrow morning will be "Hurst Gone".  If not tomorrow,I've a feeling it might well be after tuesday night,can't see us getting anything other than a thrashing at Halifax.I know it makes no difference what the poll on here shows but this must also be the general consensus of the Grimsby fans.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, September 14, 2014, 10:44pm; Reply: 45
I believe Hurst would stand a better chance if Rodman, Bogle and Miller had come. His tactics aren't negative, there's just something fundamentally conservative about the way he sets up his teams, not to get picked off on the counter attack, this leads to letting the opposition impose themselves on us rather than let us impose ourselves on them, at Gateshead and against Alfreton we imposed ourselves on them, but with no Pittman now and Disley playing again we can't press, Hannah is slower, weaker, less energetic, not as good one the ball, a worse finisher and lazier than Pittman. 4-3-3 with Paddy, Brown and Clay, then MacKreth, Lenny and Neilson would scare teams, with Arnold and the possibility of Tounkara coming off the bench would work.JUST ATTACK HUSRT
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 14, 2014, 10:46pm; Reply: 46
I tell you what there is a distinct lack of on the fishy this week, the people who came out after Alfreton and told everybody how right they were about everything. Bringing up any post criticizing the team and telling everybody how it's all changed & how they should eat humble pie. Seemingly being more bothered they were 'proved right' than the fact we were playing well.

Where are those people to enlighten us with their superior knowledge now?
Posted by: sparko501, September 15, 2014, 12:06am; Reply: 47
Personally I want him to stay but only because I can't come up with an alternative, or at least think of someone that would even be remotely interested in taking the job that would do any better.

A guy sat behind me on Saturday against Torquay hit the nail on the head " I just can't imagine Hurst giving the team a right good bollocking at half time" which I totally agree with. That's what we need someone to 'rally the troops'. We all know we have decent players that can pass the ball around and make other teams look stupid but I'm starting to feel like there's no kick up the backside when we need it most!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 15, 2014, 12:14am; Reply: 48
Quoted from sparko501
A guy sat behind me on Saturday against Torquay hit the nail on the head " I just can't imagine Hurst giving the team a right good bollocking at half time" which I totally agree with. That's what we need someone to 'rally the troops'. We all know we have decent players that can pass the ball around and make other teams look stupid but I'm starting to feel like there's no kick up the backside when we need it most!
Here is the answer to that!  ;D

[youtube]CCMxfuFXDv0[/youtube] [youtube]4OQ0B9MO0mc[/youtube]
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, September 15, 2014, 12:34am; Reply: 49
Quoted from TAGG
What is the stance of the Trust guys on the board.
Do they go with there own opinions(what ever that may be) or put forward the clear ground swell of opinion that Hurst should be sacked????  

It certainly hasn't been mentioned at any Trust board meetings. Like a lot of people, I think a change in football philosophy may be whats needed. The thing is there is no point relieving the man of his duties if there is nobody suitable to take over.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 15, 2014, 1:47am; Reply: 50
Think the squad is good, but maybe a different manager can do better with them.

Haven't voted because I can't decide.
Posted by: nightrider, September 15, 2014, 8:29am; Reply: 51

A guy sat behind me on Saturday against Torquay hit the nail on the head " I just can't imagine Hurst giving the team a right good bollocking at half time" which I totally agree with. That's what we need someone to 'rally the troops'[/quote]

Thing is, we normally play better in the 2nd half so he must be doing something right.
Besides, the other half was used for yelling at people but we got rid of him

Posted by: chicaneuk, September 15, 2014, 8:41am; Reply: 52
The problem for me is the inconsistency. We can be amazing some games, and total dog excrement in others. I just don't understand it - probably because I know nothing about footie tactics and formations, etc - I just enjoy watching the games! But this is where the manager should work the magic, surely - finding out what's missing and setting up the team accordingly.

So.. sorry Paul - thanks for your service to the club but I think we need a change of direction desperately, so I voted 'Go' :|
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, September 15, 2014, 8:41am; Reply: 53
My only issue with Hurst going is what we get in his place? If Hurst does get the axe we must must get a passionate attack minded manager in his place if not its better the devil you know in my opinion....I really hope that Hurst turns it around because he isnt a male member like some managers in past but i believe the writing is on the wall for him
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 15, 2014, 10:51am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Here is the answer to that!  ;D

[youtube]CCMxfuFXDv0[/youtube] [youtube]4OQ0B9MO0mc[/youtube]

That would  be a great laugh if he came,

AND

To be honest it just might work at this level

Grimsby and Di Canio a match made in heaven,

No chance of it happening though.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 15, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from grimsby pete
That would  be a great laugh if he came,

AND

To be honest it just might work at this level

Grimsby and Di Canio a match made in heaven,

No chance of it happening though.
Haha perfect match, the fans always ranting, he always rants, passion beyond extreme, what more could you want!  ;D

Did an excellent job at Swindon Town, think they had some good financial clout behind them at the time though, well he bought Connell from us for around 120K after nailing 30 goals.
Posted by: Caesar, September 15, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from pontoonlew
I tell you what there is a distinct lack of on the fishy this week, the people who came out after Alfreton and told everybody how right they were about everything. Bringing up any post criticizing the team and telling everybody how it's all changed & how they should eat humble pie. Seemingly being more bothered they were 'proved right' than the fact we were playing well.

Where are those people to enlighten us with their superior knowledge now?

While I wasn't claiming to have superior knowledge I definately posted at the time enjoying our success.  Maybe those 2 games were exceptions and I was too quick to jump on them as evidence that PH was being more positive and building an attacking team.

At the moment I would still give Hurst a little more time, I have seen some great attacking verve from Town this season which if we could apply regularly would make us contenteders, but not being at the last 2 games I will admit to not being aware of how bad they have been. Certainly any repeat of last year tomorrow night and it would be forcing me to eat the most unpalatable humble pie ever!

Posted by: ginnywings, September 15, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 57
Woods once had 2 similar results to the Gateshead and Alfreton ones, followed by a very poor run and eventual dismissal.

Consistency is what wins leagues and Town don't have that. We vary wildly in performances and results. How many other teams have had so many low scoring draws and a couple of massive wins chucked in? Have gone from unbeaten to losing three out of four?

Our scoreline can be anything from 0-0 to 7-0 and neither is a total surprise. Torquay showed the way on Saturday. Got themselves into a 2-0 lead and controlled the game from there. Perfect away performance.
Posted by: Trawler, September 15, 2014, 2:25pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 1739
75 % Mr Fenty.

Quoted from Grimal
With over 70% on here wanting Paul Hurst to be sacked ASAP.

Often the vocal minority shouts the loudest so let's not let a failure to understand statistics get in the way of the facts.

It is not 75% of the Fishy, or 70% "on here" - it is only a percentage of the few who have voted who say 'Go'.

There has been a whopping 122 votes cast so far  - and 80 have voted 'Go'.

Out of how many hundreds who read the fishy?  

Rob may be able to give you some perspective on your sweeping generalisations.
Posted by: Quagmire, September 15, 2014, 2:54pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Trawler

Often the vocal minority shouts the loudest so let's not let a failure to understand statistics get in the way of the facts.

It is not 75% of the Fishy, or 70% - it is only a percentage of the few who have voted who say 'Go'.

There has been a whopping 122 votes cast so far  - and 80 have voted 'Go'.

Out of how many hundreds who read the fishy?  

Rob may be able to give you some perspective on your sweeping generalisations.

It would be interesting if Rob would detail the last two polls on here re Hurst.

The one after the play off defeat and the one last month.  

Think they've all been 70% + in favour of change, last months poll had close to 1,000 votes cast the last time I saw it.

This is the third poll on the same subject in the last 5 months, all with a similar 70%+ of voters wanting to see change.

As an aside, will the Trust be using these recent votes as an indication of fan support (or lack of) or will they be canvassing Trust members so they can represent members views - otherwise it will simply be 2 guys voting the way they feel rather than actually representing Trust members, if PH's job comes up for debate.

Posted by: TAGG, September 15, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Quagmire

It would be interesting if Rob would detail the last two polls on here re Hurst.

The one after the play off defeat and the one last month.  

Think they've all been 70% + in favour of change, last months poll had close to 1,000 votes cast the last time I saw it.

This is the third poll on the same subject in the last 5 months, all with a similar 70%+ of voters wanting to see change.

As an aside, will the Trust be using these recent votes as an indication of fan support (or lack of) or will they be canvassing Trust members so they can represent members views - otherwise it will simply be 2 guys voting the way they feel rather than actually representing Trust members, if PH's job comes up for debate.

Great question but wouldn't hold me breath........
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:32pm