Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 14, 2014, 9:53am
What's he up to nowadays?
Knowledgable, great contacts, and a point to prove.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 1
Or Paul Wilkinson.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 14, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 2
Hope he's still playing.
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 10:36am; Reply: 3
There is more chance of the Prime Minister singing I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts on Britain's Got Talent than there is of Groves coming here to manage again,.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
What's he up to nowadays?
Knowledgable, great contacts, and a point to prove.

Been a disaster at just about every team he has managed?

Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 14, 2014, 10:39am; Reply: 5
Groves is the best player I've seen play for Town but he has failed fairly spectacularly in his attempts at management.
Posted by: jungleland, September 14, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 6
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Groves is the best player I've seen play for Town but he has failed fairly spectacularly in his attempts at management.

Not sure about that meanwood  he,s mostly been a assistant  think he  was unfairly sacked from town
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2014, 11:07am; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad
There is more chance of the Prime Minister singing I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts on Britain's Got Talent than there is of Groves coming here to manage again,.

That sounds like inside knowledge?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 14, 2014, 12:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jungleland

Not sure about that meanwood  he,s mostly been a assistant  think he  was unfairly sacked from town

He has been a successful coach especially youth coach. When he was appointed manager at Bournmouth he lasted about 6 months. At Portsmouth he was only caretaker for a couple of days I think. Another like Woods who was good on the training ground but struggled with the big job.

Posted by: Civvy at last, September 14, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from barralad

Have you been reading the News of the World (oops I mean the Sun on Sunday) Barra  ??)

I'm sure that if Simon Cowell promised him it would get a few votes at the next election, he would do it stark bollock naked !!
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 14, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jungleland

Having watched us lose 8-1 at Hartlepool and 6-0 at Oldham I'm amazed he was given as much time as he was.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 14, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Vance Warner

Having watched us lose 8-1 at Hartlepool and 6-0 at Oldham I'm amazed he was given as much time as he was.

This.

Oh, and the 5-1 at Port Vale. Christ.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 14, 2014, 11:37pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Abdul19

This.

Oh, and the 5-1 at Port Vale. Christ.

He was doing the job with his hands tied, the costcutting sealed our relegation.
Posted by: chrisloz, September 15, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 13
Assistant at Crawley at the minute i believe.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 15, 2014, 11:05am; Reply: 14
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He was doing the job with his hands tied, the costcutting sealed our relegation.

That is true but there still seems to be something seriously amiss. The players he had here weren't that bad but they simply stopped playing for him. His stint at Bournemouth was a disaster too. He lost virtually every game while he was in charge, was hated by the fans and as soon as he left they went on a record breaking unbeaten run.

I may be reading way too much in to this but I find it staggering that Groves got so little mention in Macca's book, and he didn't make his best XI. Macca chose Dobbin and Burnett as his central midfield pairing. Both decent enough players but Groves was our best play for years. Perhaps he's just not a people person.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 15, 2014, 11:22am; Reply: 15
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

That is true but there still seems to be something seriously amiss. The players he had here weren't that bad but they simply stopped playing for him. His stint at Bournemouth was a disaster too. He lost virtually every game while he was in charge, was hated by the fans and as soon as he left they went on a record breaking unbeaten run.

I may be reading way too much in to this but I find it staggering that Groves got so little mention in Macca's book, and he didn't make his best XI. Macca chose Dobbin and Burnett as his central midfield pairing. Both decent enough players but Groves was our best play for years. Perhaps he's just not a people person.

I think if you look at the sales of Pouton and the issue with Jevons not being able to play you can see the trouble he was having.

He was new to it but still managed to keep us in the championship for a season, he hasn't really had a club that hasn't been in dire straits.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 15, 2014, 11:48am; Reply: 16
Groves was loved by Buckley. Two peas in a pod perhaps? Fantastically talented but not "people" people....
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 15, 2014, 11:55am; Reply: 17
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He was new to it but still managed to keep us in the championship for a season, he hasn't really had a club that hasn't been in dire straits.

Yeah, he got money for nothing
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:32am