Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 13, 2014, 10:47pm
I know I'm jumping the gun here but a lot of people are clamouring for the managers head. So I'm after some realistic alternative names to Mr. Hurst because I'm struggling...
Posted by: mariner91, September 13, 2014, 10:49pm; Reply: 1
There's a bloke who had decent success at Boston who's out of work. Mr R. Scott I believe his name is.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 13, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 2
You'll struggle to find anyone at this level with as good a record as PH, If we were to release him he'd get snapped up by another Conference side.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2014, 10:54pm; Reply: 3
James Beattie? Dave Hockaday?
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 13, 2014, 10:56pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
You'll struggle to find anyone at this level with as good a record as PH, If we were to release him he'd get snapped up by another Conference side.

Possibly would. I would be surprised though if he would get snapped up by a side as big as Town.

Or are you suggesting that our position is acceptable ??
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2014, 10:57pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GrimRob

Why, is there another Conference side that doesn't want to be promoted?

Posted by: timmo, September 13, 2014, 10:58pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters
James Beattie? Dave Hockaday?

Hockaday - No

John Ward? Martin Foyle?

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: denni266, September 13, 2014, 11:02pm; Reply: 7
If JF has anything about him he would have been checking  to see who is available for a while now.. he can see what  we see and has to make a choice as to weather we stay as we are or to gamble.. one thing is sure. people are starting to vote with there feet
Posted by: TAGG, September 13, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 8
No matter what the cost Fenty do every thing you can to get Mills away from the Heed.
He's the man to move this club forward.
Posted by: timmo, September 13, 2014, 11:05pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from TAGG
No matter what the cost Fenty do every thing you can to get Mills away from the Heed.
He's the man to move this club forward.

WHS

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: Maringer, September 13, 2014, 11:46pm; Reply: 10
In the (extremely) unlikely event that Mills were to be employed as manager, I'd be disgusted if the team was instructed to play in the same way as Gateshead last season. I simply couldn't stomach the diving, cheating and feigning of injury. That would be too much for me.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, September 14, 2014, 12:02am; Reply: 11
Buckley?
Not really.... but someone will throw his name into the hat before too long so I'll same them the bother

Hockday - no better than what we have and did naff all at FGR with bags of cash
Foyle? Journeyman manager; uninspiring and done nothing
Mills - never come here as he has bettter promotion prospects at Heed

I'd go left field and give an untried 'name' (ex-Prem Lge/Championship player) looking for his first job; fresh ideas, good contacts, respected by players

What would we have to lose? We won't get relegated so we might as well take a risk

Failing that...Buckley
Posted by: tashee69, September 14, 2014, 1:56am; Reply: 12
Knowing Town, Doig will get the job and Disley will become assistant lol
Posted by: TAGG, September 14, 2014, 7:05am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
In the (extremely) unlikely event that Mills were to be employed as manager, I'd be disgusted if the team was instructed to play in the same way as Gateshead last season. I simply couldn't stomach the diving, cheating and feigning of injury. That would be too much for me.

So this is the only plan Mills has for his team????????
Stop being a drama queen ffs
Hes been promoted from this league which is more than we have.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 14, 2014, 7:08am; Reply: 14
No more Buckley for me, if he could do what he did in spell one or two maybe, but spell 3 he signed the worst defence in the history of the club, he also signed butler, enough said!

Still I know a fair few are calling for Pauls head, but I'd still give him till Christmas, there's still very little in the table with 37 games to go.

UTM!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2014, 7:30am; Reply: 15
The alternative to an alternative is to pay the money it would cost to get an alternative (compensation for PH and possibly to another club if we poach somebody) on strengthening the squad with some decent loans.
Posted by: Garth, September 14, 2014, 7:57am; Reply: 16
Quoted from GrimRob
The alternative to an alternative is to pay the money it would cost to get an alternative (compensation for PH and possibly to another club if we poach somebody) on strengthening the squad with some decent loans.

At the moment I would go the loan way, PH is stubborn to the point of lunacy but he still has a decent win record
Posted by: DocTower, September 14, 2014, 8:12am; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

STRENGTHENING THE SQUAD WITH DECENT LOAN SIGNINGS .?

On paper we have a dam good squad , but it's just that our manager doesn't know what to do with them . Still September I know but this season is falljng apart at the seams . Too many injuries , too much tinkering , was there to see during pre season but like everyone else you hope that it'll be alright on the night .

As I posted yesterday Doig sat in dugout , Moore and Hurst stood together . Torquay manager and another guy shouting instructions jumping up and down . Forth official spoke numerous times to them .
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 8:15am; Reply: 18
What point are you making there mate?
Posted by: barrattstandman, September 14, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 19
He's stating the bleedin' obvious. The left hand and the right hand are singing from different hymn sheets!
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:24am; Reply: 20
Quoted from DocTower

STRENGTHENING THE SQUAD WITH DECENT LOAN SIGNINGS .?

On paper we have a dam good squad , but it's just that our manager doesn't know what to do with them . Still September I know but this season is falljng apart at the seams . Too many injuries , too much tinkering , was there to see during pre season but like everyone else you hope that it'll be alright on the night .

As I posted yesterday Doig sat in dugout , Moore and Hurst stood together . Torquay manager and another guy shouting instructions jumping up and down . Forth official spoke numerous times to them .

I have no idea what point you are trying to make re:- Doig but how in the name of Jesus Christ can Hurst be to blame for the injuries? The Bristol Rovers game is the only one I can think of where Hurst has had what most would call his best XI open to him for selection. Some of the "tinkering" Lincoln excepted, has been unavoidable.
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:25am; Reply: 21
Quoted from barrattstandman
He's stating the bleedin' obvious. The left hand and the right hand are singing from different hymn sheets!

Well if that's the case Doig should stand up. It's very hard to sing sat down...
Posted by: mariner91, September 14, 2014, 8:34am; Reply: 22
Quoted from barralad

I have no idea what point you are trying to make re:- Doig but how in the name of Jesus Christ can Hurst be to blame for the injuries? The Bristol Rovers game is the only one I can think of where Hurst has had what most would call his best XI open to him for selection. Some of the "tinkering" Lincoln excepted, has been unavoidable.

I don't think he did. Pearson was missing, Neilson was missing, Pittman was missing. That's three of our best five players IMO.
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 14, 2014, 8:35am; Reply: 23
John McDermott anyone?
Posted by: mariner91, September 14, 2014, 8:37am; Reply: 24
David Moyes still looking?
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2014, 8:38am; Reply: 25
Quoted from jimgtfc
John McDermott anyone?

No
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:39am; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91

I don't think he did. Pearson was missing, Neilson was missing, Pittman was missing. That's three of our best five players IMO.

Oh yeah!   :)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 14, 2014, 8:46am; Reply: 27
A major problem is that at the end of last season fans were pretty much split 50/50 on wanting PH replaced. Therefore any dip in fortune or performance levels will invariably bring fresh demands for him to go.

I wanted him replaced in the summer and again after the first three games. I have acknowledged that he has tried to improve our style of play and has been unlucky with injuries. However, the big factor remains that going to BP is, on the majority of occasions, just not an enjoyable experience and the increasing frustration in watching too many below par performances will see more and more fans stay away and increasing numbers demanding he be replaced. For whatever r eason the guy has never really been a popular manager for town and when the relationsip is like that only results keep you in employment. Since christmas 2013 results have not been good enough.

Replacements? Well i would go for Aspin, Mills if feasible (same with Slade) and whilst Burr' recent results are no great shakes I still think he is a good manager who may well prosper at a club with town's resources at this level.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 14, 2014, 8:53am; Reply: 28
Awaits post complaining that Hurst 'just stands there with his arms folded, shows no emotion, body language tells it all...'

Towns managerial acquisitions have always been poorly timed in recent years, we end up having interviews with the usual merry go round rather than actively pursuing a manager or we take the cheap option promote from within.
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 14, 2014, 8:54am; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33

No

Just thought I'd see what people thought of that one. Out of interest, why not?
Posted by: buckstown, September 14, 2014, 8:56am; Reply: 30
I like PH, he's a good honest man. I am however wondering if his time might be coming to an end but I hope he can sort it out.
If not John Coleman. He's at Sligo Rovers at the moment but sure he could become available
Knows how to get out of this league and knows how to get the best out of at least two of our players!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2014, 9:25am; Reply: 31
Financial problem also, a drop of 400 on the gate means £6k reduction in revenue equals £120k + per season. I have no faith in Hursts ability to take us up for reasons stated elsewhere and I suspect many agree. Isn't now the time for a new manager to come in and gel our much vaunted squad into a team that could justify a new stadium before even more money flows out of the coffers?
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 14, 2014, 9:27am; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Financial problem also, a drop of 400 on the gate means £6k reduction in revenue equals £120k + per season. I have no faith in Hursts ability to take us up for reasons stated elsewhere and I suspect many agree. Isn't now the time for a new manager to come in and gel our much vaunted squad into a team that could justify a new stadium before even more money flows out of the coffers?

I think it could be soon, maybe after the next 2 games... But who?
Posted by: cannylad68, September 14, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 33
I think you will find that I posted month's ago that Paul Hurst would be sacked before Christmas and that Chris Doig would be temporary in charge.
Whilst I agree that Paul Hurst should be removed as soon as possible, that is the easy part. Finding the right replacement is the difficult part.
None of the replacement names quoted/ or any other can be guaranteed to bring success.
Good luck with that one John.
Any Lawrie Mac types out there? Who us us questioned that appointment?
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 9:51am; Reply: 34
Quoted from cannylad68
I think you will find that I posted month's ago that Paul Hurst would be sacked before Christmas and that Chris Doig would be temporary in charge.
Whilst I agree that Paul Hurst should be removed as soon as possible, that is the easy part. Finding the right replacement is the difficult part.
None of the replacement names quoted/ or any other can be guaranteed to bring success.
Good luck with that one John.
Any Lawrie Mac types out there? Who us us questioned that appointment?

I suspect the vast majority of posters on here weren't born.

My reaction as a 12 year old was "Who" and I was 15 before I could spell Macmemeny Macmemory oh balderdash!
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 14, 2014, 9:58am; Reply: 35
John Coleman is a bloody good shout!
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2014, 10:03am; Reply: 36
Giving Doig the c/taking job could be an option,

If he is no better we bring a new man in by xmas,

You never know, given his head he might be able to make the team a bit more consistent ,
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2014, 11:10am; Reply: 37
Ideally Mills but he is not available. John Coleman would be a good choice but again he has now gone elsewhere after being available for a while.

I think the club is in a rut. Hurst (and Scott) stabilised us and signed players that actually give a excrement, as opposed to some of the rabble Newell and Woods signed but i think Hurst has taken us as far as he can. Two unsuccessful attempts at the play offs is commendable but we need new blood and new ideas to move us on that final step to get back in the league. The players look to me as though they don't really believe in what Hurst is doing. Some managers just have that x factor and get over the finishing line. Hurst isn't that manager.

I will also acknowledge that finding said manager is the holy grail of every chairman and it's more likely you won't find one. than that you will. It's a gamble but what's the alternative? Keep plodding on in the hope that Hurst get's it right?

I really really hope Hurst does get it right and i am proved completely wrong but so far, the evidence is to the contrary.
Posted by: Meza, September 14, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 38
Why does talk to Dave Moore his opinion should only be about fitness and physio related stuff.  If he's having a say about how we play and I know he means well but that could be having a negative effect as hurst could be using dm suggestions and if thats the case whats the point in Doig.  if ph is asking for dm opinions then thats wrong and shows ph Is tactically inept.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, September 14, 2014, 12:54pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Since christmas 2013 results have not been good enough.

Replacements? Well i would go for Aspin, Mills if feasible (same with Slade) and whilst Burr' recent results are no great shakes I still think he is a good manager who may well prosper at a club with town's resources at this level.

2014 to date:

P 32  W 12   D 11  L 9

didn't realise it was that average.........

Posted by: Quagmire, September 14, 2014, 1:45pm; Reply: 40
Sean O'Driscoll
Posted by: Tom13, September 14, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 41
Has John Coleman ever had any success outside of the North West where he can sign all the cast-offs from bigger clubs in that area? Doubt he'd be able to convince many to come to the other side of the country.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2014, 1:54pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from barralad

Erm, signing an injury prone player who is now out for God knows how long.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2014, 1:56pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from buckstown
I like PH, he's a good honest man. I am however wondering if his time might be coming to an end but I hope he can sort it out.
If not John Coleman. He's at Sligo Rovers at the moment but sure he could become available
Knows how to get out of this league and knows how to get the best out of at least two of our players!

you think paul is an honest man ?

I completely disagree because whenever we lose it is never his fault, always the ref the linesman or the luck !

I don't think I have ever heard an interview were he says " I hold my hands up and admit I got it wrong".

maybe once he does that and looks at his own management of the team he might start becoming a manager who can cut it.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 14, 2014, 2:28pm; Reply: 44
John Coleman signed Nsiala and Brown for Southport, he mentioned Brown as being the best midfielder in the conference premier when we signed him.

Maybe he would be interested who knows considering we've got some players who would of been on his radar at the start of the season?

I noticed Coleman is on a rolling contract with Sligo Rovers, so he's contracted till the end of the year, Sligo Rovers could probally tell us to **** off unless we paid a decent compensation fee i.e.  rest of his year contract value?

Link >> [url=http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0621/625536-coleman-sligo-manager/]http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0621/625536-coleman-sligo-manager/[/url]

All chip in £100, I would lol.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 14, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 45
Dean Saunders did well at Wrexham, and left Donny at the top of League 1, didn't do no good at Wolves in the Championship though... H'mm.
Posted by: gobby, September 14, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 46
If Coleman is that good ,why the hell is he at Sligo? Surely some other Conference team would have snapped him up. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 14, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Dean Saunders did well at Wrexham, and left Donny at the top of League 1, didn't do no good at Wolves in the Championship though... H'mm.

I remember when we first came down to this level and we took Wrexham to the cleaners (only ended up a 2-1 win to us though...lots of missed chances that night) and on their forum their fans were scathing in what they had to say about him and his approach and tacics

Seems no matter where you go or whoever you are, you can't please all the people all of the time
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 14, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I remember when we first came down to this level and we took Wrexham to the cleaners (only ended up a 2-1 win to us though...lots of missed chances that night) and on their forum their fans were scathing in what they had to say about him and his approach and tacics

Seems no matter where you go or whoever you are, you can't please all the people all of the time
Yeah he also left clubs when doing very well, no guarantee those teams would of got promoted.

Would rather have someone who has promotion success on their CV, not failed in the playoffs etc, not that it gurantees anything either.
Posted by: DocTower, September 14, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from barralad

My reaction as a 12 year old was "Who" and I was 15 before I could spell Macmemeny Macmemory oh balderdash!

Now that makes you the same age as me ! and I still have trouble spelling him name . Was easier after he went cos we got Ron Ashman ,  who was the striker he brought with him ?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 14, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 50
It matters not who you get in if half your best players are injured or suspended which at this early in the season is alarming to say the least.(anger4)(anger4)(anger4)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 14, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from DocTower

Now that makes you the same age as me ! and I still have trouble spelling him name . Was easier after he went cos we got Ron Ashman ,  who was the striker he brought with him ?

Probably Rod Fletcher, think he was a PE teacher who had also played for Lincoln. You may remember we had a guy called Joe Fletcher in late sixties who was not much use to be honest
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 14, 2014, 8:20pm; Reply: 52
Rod Fletcher taught my kids at Humb Comp remember he walked with a limp his knees were totally bollixed.  
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from DocTower

Was it Ron Wigg (or Mally Partridge?)
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, signing an injury prone player who is now out for God knows how long.

Injuries is plural. It's a moot point re:- JPP but Aswad's broken leg? Arnold's injury?, LJL's yesterday?
I know you aren't keen on the man or the way things are going at the mo but flipping heck!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 14, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from barralad

Think Wigg was from Tranmere, or Rotherham, big Mal was ex Leicester but not sure if he had spell at Mansfield first. Ron may actually have taken him the other way to Scunny when he returned there.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 14, 2014, 8:34pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from barralad

Never mind Mcmennerie  I couldn't even spell lawry  :-/
Posted by: DocTower, September 14, 2014, 8:42pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from barralad

It was Fletcher , Partridge was much later . Went to a party and Partridge was there so that would have been in the 70's.
Posted by: vinno69, September 14, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 58
Brian laws anyone?
Posted by: DocTower, September 14, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from vinno69
Brian laws anyone?

Half the names mentioned have been here before and sacked by our chairman .
As for Laws , if there is an opening and no one else is willing , why not .
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2014, 9:17pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

According to some on here it is only Grimsby Town fans that moan about their team and manager.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 14, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 61
It is at times like this you realise how little hope there is for our club. It is only September and yet many of us are certain that next May will see us still in the Conference. JF will not sack the manager just now. It would take more poor results before he feels forced to act. More likely he will stump up for a couple of loanees and hope to buy time.

The reason is obvious. It is cheaper than paying off the manager and signing a new one with compensation. The only other way is getting someone who is out of work and that isn't exactly easy or a good recommendation. The easiest way out is to keep the manager he has, back him in a limited way and pray for results. If and when it goes pear shaped he always has the fall back of being able to say he backed the manager with cash.

I can't see any change on the horizon yet whatever next week's results but there should be. JF should act now regardless of the difficulties of finding a new manager, but he won't. As things stand the club is already facing Conference football again next season. I really do hope to be proved wrong but quite honestly I doubt that.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 14, 2014, 11:01pm; Reply: 62
Ridiculous to think about changing the manager this early in the season with the injuries we have suffered, time to back him with a few key loan signings and get us back on track
Posted by: kingster72, September 15, 2014, 8:48am; Reply: 63
Dean Saunders is the best shout so far, although if we could tempt Mills, or if Slade gets sacked, then worth a try, but doubtful he'd work for Fenty again, never mind drop to the conference.  Hurst has served his time, it's time to get someone in, to take us up.  We should have changed when Scott got fired and Gary Mills & Mickey Mellon were available then.  Can we trust Fenty to make the right decisions, he hasn't done that once in his time as owner, so very doubtful!
Posted by: Garth, September 15, 2014, 9:14am; Reply: 64
It is at times like this you realise how little hope there is for our club. It is only September and yet many of us are certain that next May will see us still in the Conference. JF will not sack the manager just now. It would take more poor results before he feels forced to act. More likely he will stump up for a couple of loanees and hope to buy time.

The reason is obvious. It is cheaper than paying off the manager and signing a new one with compensation. The only other way is getting someone who is out of work and that isn't exactly easy or a good recommendation. The easiest way out is to keep the manager he has, back him in a limited way and pray for results. If and when it goes pear shaped he always has the fall back of being able to say he backed the manager with cash.

I can't see any change on the horizon yet whatever next week's results but there should be. JF should act now regardless of the difficulties of finding a new manager, but he won't. As things stand the club is already facing Conference football again next season. I really do hope to be proved wrong but quite honestly I doubt that.

Sadly I think your right,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2014, 9:23am; Reply: 65

Amen to that. Short term savings to create further long term losses.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 16, 2014, 5:17pm; Reply: 66
Gary Brabin ? - his record at this level speaks for itself, although his only promotion credentials are getting Burscough as champions to the Conference North.

I'm almost 100% certain he was approached before the appointment of Scott and Hurst.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Kng8QBm.png[/img]
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:54pm