Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 13, 2014, 5:20pm
Please read all of post before reaching for the dreaded red cross icon (although it really won't ruin my life if you do).  

I personally don't think it's quite time to be calling for the managers head just yet.  But surely any good business man has to have a plan 'B'. There I was enjoying large slices of humble pie after Gateshead and Alfreton only to find myself putting the knife and fork away again.  Torquay weren't a bad side to be fair and played reasonable football.  But yet again a very slow start to a game that (IMHO) only seemed to improve with the substitution of Disley.  I feel for John Fenty as yet again we seem to have had a false dawn.  For those of you that start quoting Luton etc please remember that John Still had not been there as long as PH has been at Town.  Also (and not a dig at JF), Luton had dosh for a Jan transfer strengthening. We are currently 14th  1/5th into the season.  Is it time for John to be putting a few "feelers" out to see what is available ??   Hurst certainly seems to have an eye for a player, but then doesn't seem to get the best out of them.
Posted by: Badger57, September 13, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 1
She was clearing her throat when Scott was sacked, but nobody was listening. She was clearing her throat a little louder last January when the team should have been strengthened for a final promotion push but wasn't but still nobody was listening. She was was coughing rather loudly at the abject failure in the playoffs but still no response from those who should have been listening. And now she's very drunk off and searching for the loudest megaphone she can find! Do you think anyone will hear her???
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 13, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 2
For me it is time, the starting lineup today was just the wrong starting lineup, he's had alot of time, we got two fantastic results and it seems like he doesn't understand what factors made the teams that won those two matches succesful, just think a team that wanted to try and win this league would say that he's had enough time and enough financial support and should be doing a better job. Two more games to show this is just a blip for me.
Posted by: timmo, September 13, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 3
Good OP. I don't see PH the man to take us out this league.

Them 2 big wins papered over the cracks and brought him time in my eyes. We've seen what the squad can do but its just too inconsistent.

JF put the feeders out maybe give PH a kick up the backside because this cant go on for much longer, the best squad in years are going to get torn apart come June because of these 1 year deals.

Change is good. Right now? hmm but sooner yes if things don't improve quickly.

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 13, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 4
don't worry getyourfactsright (JF) will be along shortly offering us all some happy pills  :)
Posted by: DocTower, September 13, 2014, 6:18pm; Reply: 5
Still very nieve in tactics and team selection . Its there for all to see . Yes , we have been extraordinarily unlucky with injuries , or have we ?

We played better when Disley went off but thats no excuse . I have been slated by saying he is our weakest link . Defence committed school boy errors , when the manager is so defensively minded , why ?

I worry that Scotty Nielson will be gone by christmas , he's playing shop window football and it's only a matter of time before someone in the league will come knocking .
Posted by: Maringer, September 13, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from DocTower
I worry that Scotty Nielson will be gone by christmas , he's playing shop window football and it's only a matter of time before someone in the league will come knocking .

Anybody watching him today would come to the conclusion that he was a bit shite because he really didn't achieve anything at all.

As so often, when things aren't quite going his way, he tries to overdo it and beat the extra man rather than making the simple pass, invariably losing possession.

It was an odd atmosphere at the game today. Almost from the first, we looked out of sorts and things only got worse once Pittman was injured. I was disappointed that neither Brown or Disley got things organised in midfield in the first half and we just couldn't deal with their No. 10  who was breaking tackles left, right and centre.

That said, we still had enough chances to get something out of the game in the second half. Disappointing that we missed three absolute sitters.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 13, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from jonnyboy82
don't worry getyourfactsright (JF) will be along shortly offering us all some happy pills  :)

I hope so I want cheering up! I wasn't at the game today, can somebody give me any positives, my dad tells me we should have had a penalty near the beginning?

Hopefully a blip.

Onwards and upwards!
See you at Halifax!
UTM!
Posted by: timmo, September 13, 2014, 6:49pm; Reply: 8
Hurst called into a meeting with Fenty ???

Any truth? has anyone else heard this?

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: DocTower, September 13, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer

Anybody watching him today would come to the conclusion that he was a bit shite because he really didn't achieve anything at all.

As so often, when things aren't quite going his way, he tries to overdo it and beat the extra man rather than making the simple pass, invariably losing possession.

It was an odd atmosphere at the game today. Almost from the first, we looked out of sorts and things only got worse once Pittman was injured. I was disappointed that neither Brown or Disley got things organised in midfield in the first half and we just couldn't deal with their No. 10  who was breaking tackles left, right and centre.

That said, we still had enough chances to get something out of the game in the second half. Disappointing that we missed three absolute sitters.

Scotty wasn't over doing it , the others were just so poor . At least he was trying .
Your right about the atmosphere , strange . Laughing at time because we were so bad .
Brown doing the work of two in midfield .
Injuries are now have got to an unacceptable level , almost like an episode from Casualty .

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2014, 7:11pm; Reply: 10
The fat lady hasn't started singing yet but I can definitely hear the opening bars of the Ride of Valkyries
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 13, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DocTower

Scotty wasn't over doing it , the others were just so poor . At least he was trying .
Your right about the atmosphere , strange . Laughing at time because we were so bad .
Brown doing the work of two in midfield .
Injuries are now have got to an unacceptable level , almost like an episode from Casualty .

Yeh, but it was him that lost possession for their second goal.

As far as I'm concerned, nobody came out of it with any credit today, to be honest they were all poor.

UTM
Posted by: Tom13, September 13, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 12
Genuine question, not a dig at anyone suggesting Hurst should go/should've gone, nor suggesting he should be booted out immediately but out of interest; is there anyone decent who would actually come here? It'd be foolish to sack Hurst and leave a caretaker in charge for ages while we scratch around for a new man to come in.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 13, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 13
I thought that Neilson and Paddy were caught in possession too often by trying to dribble (too slowly) too much.  Neilson was sometime trying to dribble through the entire Torquay defence when a ball played outwide would give better dividends.

Something that I have just thought of:  our corners were so poor in the first half. Why cannot we do the basics? One Paddy took in front of the away fans was candidate for the worse corner ever taken by a professional player.    
Posted by: grimps, September 13, 2014, 8:43pm; Reply: 14
For me it is time, the starting lineup today was just the wrong starting lineup, he's had alot of time, we got two fantastic results and it seems like he doesn't understand what factors made the teams that won those two matches succesful, just think a team that wanted to try and win this league would say that he's had enough time and enough financial support and should be doing a better job. Two more games to show this is just a blip for me.

The thing is we'll probably go and win the next game or two and keep him in a job , the same as he has done the last 4 season .
one step  forward two steps back is not how you win promotion.
just sack him now , we wont go up with him so a mid table finish with someone else is nothing worse  
Posted by: DocTower, September 13, 2014, 8:58pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mariner tommy

As far as I'm concerned, nobody came out of it with any credit today, to be honest they were all poor.

UTM

Thought it was Dis that lost possession . Doesn't matter really they had a game plan , their players knew what to do , their players passed it better , they tackled better , they did the simple things and it worked . We didn't have an off day , we just showed our real colours .

Blame who you want , but we have been papering over the cracks too long , helped by fans with rose tinted glasses .

Like the previous poster said ,who else is there avaliable with the quality , willing to take the reigns .
Posted by: denni266, September 13, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 16
He  simply has to go  and now would be good.. we are going no where with him running things , in fact we are in relegation form at the minute. . never mind a new stadium, we need a manager
Posted by: oldun, September 13, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 17
Disappointing but IF we had managed a win we would be in a very handy 8th place, that's how fine the lines are between success and failure.
Posted by: Garth, September 13, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from mariner tommy

UTM

He`s allowed one mistake after being contender for MOM in most games this season is`nt he? my biggest disappointment  today were Hannah and Dis absolutely anonymous tinkerman strikes again,  bad luck regarding the injuries but we have had weeks to get another striker in problem is we are trying to win things on the cheap and it won`t work  (anger4)
Now we are scrating about last minute for striker who will be difficult to find,  that`s not good forward thinking management IMO, oh and Magnay for captain
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2014, 9:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from oldun
Disappointing but IF we had managed a win we would be in a very handy 8th place, that's how fine the lines are between success and failure.

But we didn't and we aren't and we won't be anywhere near until he goes....
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 2:51pm