Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, September 8, 2014, 1:49pm
I didn't watch the Norway game the other night (the US Open was on at the same time) so I haven't seen our boys place since the WC.

We've got a good record in qualifying. A draw would so obviously benefit both teams as the group looks so Micky Mouse that they might as well agree on the centre circle!

1-1
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 8, 2014, 1:52pm; Reply: 1
Forgot it was on , but i do have some paint to watch dry.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 8, 2014, 1:56pm; Reply: 2
3-0 win for England. We're only playing Switzerland, you'd think it was Argentina away they way people are carrying on!
Posted by: BIGChris, September 8, 2014, 1:58pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from highcliff mariner
Forgot it was on , but i do have some paint to watch dry.

Cant say I am particularly interested either. For me there is only one game this week
Posted by: Grimal, September 8, 2014, 2:11pm; Reply: 4
0 -  0.    
zzzzzzzzz
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 8, 2014, 2:14pm; Reply: 5
2-1 win Sterling and Rooney. Not looking forward to it, got a feeling we'll stick 10 men behind the ball :(
Posted by: BrickTop, September 8, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 6
I'd take a tight 1-0 win. Sterling to get the winner. Slightly off topic but, does anyone else think Nathan Dyer for Swansea deserves a chance with England? The guy has been performing well for a few years now but keeps getting overlooked by Roy.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 8, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 7
Much as it pains me to say it, Switzerland are currently better than us and i can't see anything other than a defeat.

We were Scotland/Wales type standard the other night, especially the back four.
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 2:58pm; Reply: 8
I think we can get a draw or possibly a flukey win, but there's no doubt that the Swiss have a decent team at the moment and we're rather weak.

The paucity of our midfield is clearly shown by one of the BBC headlines at the moment: "Henderson injury scare for England".

If Henderson isn't fit, we'll apparently be playing Milner in the middle. That's a one-paced grafter replaced by a (slightly slower) one-paced grafter. Playing alongside Wilshire (playing style: try to dribble past two players, then fall over).

Sheesh.

Speaking of England, did anybody see that interview with Rio Ferdinand the other day? Fundamentally, he blamed a succession of England managers for failing to take 'the Golden Generation' to the top of world football. The team was never set up properly, apparently. It has obviously never crossed his mind that his generation of players simply wasn't good enough. An amazing lack of self-awareness and humility, until you remember it is Rio Flipping Ferdinand we're talking about.
Posted by: lobsterpot, September 8, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 9
1-1-Rooney before ht and the cheese to level around the 70 minute mark.
Posted by: LH, September 8, 2014, 3:38pm; Reply: 10
1-0 Switzerland after "dominating" possession.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 8, 2014, 3:42pm; Reply: 11
0-1

Cahill 80
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 8, 2014, 3:46pm; Reply: 12
Home banker for me . Switzerland had a decent World Cup and their young team will only be better for the experience.  I'm lumping on the Swiss as I can't see anything other than defeat tonight . Roys living on borrowed time .
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 8, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 13
A draw at Best!  Switzerland are a better team than us at the moment. :o
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 14
A boring 0-0 draw,

BUT

I am English so I will watch and support our overpaid players.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, September 8, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 15
Don't think we'll score, 2-0 Switzerland.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 8, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 16
Draw written all over it ?
1-1.
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 17
Shrek could have had a couple so far. Didn't have the confidence to volley the first one (he's scored tougher ones than that in the past) and scuffed the second chance though Sterling's ball was poor.
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 18
If Delph manages to avoid getting a red card tonight, I'll be surprised.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 8, 2014, 8:22pm; Reply: 19
Typical Welbeck. Good work down the right, had 2 relatively easy passes on or could even have shot, and somehow managed to avoid all 3!
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 20
Switzerland don't look very good tonight and we ought to have scored a couple by now.

Our defence looks like they've got a few more errors in them so we need to try and get a goal or two in the second half because I reckon they might well score.

P.S. Is Henderson actually playing? I think I've heard his name mentioned about twice in the commentary in the first half!
Posted by: Abdul19, September 8, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 21
Welbeck's lethal, have always said it ;)
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19
Welbeck's lethal, have always said it ;)

Shin control that the late, great Keith Alexander would have been proud of.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2014, 9:40pm; Reply: 23
2-0 Welbeck 2,

Good result, lets hope Town do the same tomorrow.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 8, 2014, 9:51pm; Reply: 24
Biggest surprise for me is that the Swiss could be poorer than England manage on occasion.

Didn't think we would win there but glad to be wrong.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 25
I have always liked Welbeck,

Sturridge is good but too one footed to my liking.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 8, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Home banker for me . Switzerland had a decent World Cup and their young team will only be better for the experience.  I'm lumping on the Swiss as I can't see anything other than defeat tonight . Roys living on borrowed time .

Ooops!  ;)

Hope that "lump" wasn't too big.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 8, 2014, 10:06pm; Reply: 27
Everyone was wrong. Entertaining game as well. Lots of chances, especially near the end!
Posted by: Maringer, September 8, 2014, 10:13pm; Reply: 28
I thought that the Swiss looked pretty poor tonight and we could easily have scored a few more without playing overly well.

Well done to Welbeck for bagging a couple of goals and he also worked his socks off tonight. Perhaps the move to Arsenal will allow him to develop into a really good striker?

Rooney disappointing yet again (a couple of touches of skill aside). Not sure what has happened with him over the past couple of years as he used to absolutely work his socks off but seems to jog around a bit too much these days. He should be in his physical prime but he looks knackered all the time and there just seems something wrong there to me.

Good and bad aspects of play shown by Sterling - he needs to pick and choose when he takes men on and he lost possession a bit too often tonight rather than just keeping it simple. Lots of potential still.

Wilshire just isn't a clever enough player to become capable at the top level. Despite supposedly being selected as the anchor midfielder, he resumed his usual technique of dribbling into a couple of players and falling over and better teams will punish us if we keep giving possession away like that. Just can't see he's got it in him, I'm afraid. You can have all the skill in the world, but you need to be able to play the game intelligently or you're going to achieve nothing.

Well done to the young lad Stones who looked pretty decent tonight. At least he looks as though he knows how to defend which is more than can be said for many of our current full-backs!

Woy will be happy.
Posted by: gtfc82, September 8, 2014, 10:47pm; Reply: 29
I was worried about Delph tonight, and that increased when he got a stupid booking early on. However I think he had a very good game after that, making some good interceptions and driving runs from midfield!
Agree with Maringer about Stones. Thought he was very solid, got forward when he could and I don't recall any mistakes made.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 9, 2014, 12:54pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Ooops!  ;)

Hope that "lump" wasn't too big.

Whoops . I love football even when it costs me a few £ . Only saw 1st half before I had to go to work but it was obvious I was going to lose my money to mr corals this time . A lot better performance than we've been used to for a bit and some promise for the future . Let's hope the team takes this game as a confidence booster and even if not world beaters can make a game of it against the better teams around . Impressed with Delph , his early tackles rattled the Swiss and set the tone for the rest of them .
Posted by: ginnywings, September 9, 2014, 1:38pm; Reply: 31
Having already negotiated by far the toughest game in this group, we now have 2 years and several games to perfect a system with the players available to us. There is no way on earth we will fail to qualify for the Euros from this group, so i hope Roy has a plan in mind to progress us to a level where we can compete with the best in Europe at the finals.

Roy seems to be trusting Wilshere to be the midfield controller, but even with 2 years to practice, i think he is wasting his time because the lad simply isn't intelligent enough IMO.

More optimistic than i was before the game but we still have a long way to go and i'm not sure we have enough good players to win anything, anytime soon.
Posted by: Maringer, September 9, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings
i hope Roy has a plan in mind to progress us to a level where we can compete with the best in Europe at the finals.

Yes, let's hope he can manage to sign some really good players.  :)
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 10:20pm