Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mimma, August 31, 2014, 10:46pm
Having just watched it several times over, the first for "dissent" looked very very harsh.

Shop was walking back to our area, it looks like he muttering to himself, & then claps. Ref thinks about it & then calls him back & books him.

The 2nd. booking is a joke.  Shop is shoulder to shoulder with their player on the half way line, he goes down, foul, & then gets the yellow card out. He wasn't clean through, there are plenty of Town defenders back.

Since when has a shoulder charge been a foul. & a booking?

As for Mariners Player, what is going on? Only half a game at a time, & I must agree about the commentator. I know it's a difficult job, but please, it's awful.

What's happened to John Moore?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, September 1, 2014, 12:29am; Reply: 1
Posted by: Part Time Mariner, September 1, 2014, 7:20am; Reply: 2
Wheres the Second half. Can't find it anywhere on Mariners Player.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 1, 2014, 7:21am; Reply: 3
Quoted from bobbyturtle

Couldn't agree more
Posted by: oldludensian, September 1, 2014, 8:36am; Reply: 4
The first was for persistent back chat, so what you saw on Mariners Player didn't represent he'd been nibbling at the ref prior to then. From where I was stood I didn't have a clear view of the second yellow and MP is a fairly shite standard but it actually looked like he had his right arm across the player - that would've been another yellow but the whole thing could have been avoided if he'd kept his trap shut previously, as should Pearson and McKeown as has been stated on other threads.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 1, 2014, 8:43am; Reply: 5
Nibbling away at some refs does pay dividends though. In Sunday league at least, you get to know which ref will let you get away with certain challenges, who will wilt under a bit of verbal pressure and who won't take any nonsense at all. Not exactly dark arts but we are often talking fine margins.
Posted by: barralad, September 1, 2014, 8:49am; Reply: 6
Quoted from oldludensian
The first was for persistent back chat, so what you saw on Mariners Player didn't represent he'd been nibbling at the ref prior to then. From where I was stood I didn't have a clear view of the second yellow and MP is a fairly shite standard but it actually looked like he had his right arm across the player - that would've been another yellow but the whole thing could have been avoided if he'd kept his trap shut previously, as should Pearson and McKeown as has been stated on other threads.

I thought it had been confirmed that the first was for persistent infringements....
Posted by: chrissy, September 1, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 7
The problem with refs at this level is they are very inconsistent,

If they booked every player for doing what John Lewis was doing during his short time on the pitch,

He would end up booking everybody thus finishing the match early because of the lack of players left on the pitch.
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 1, 2014, 9:14am; Reply: 8
Regardless of what the first yellow was for as we can argue that until the cows come home. The second was mental behaviour, the shop must of ran 20 yards? and knocked/pushed/tickled someone over. It can't have been much more than 5 minutes after his first yellow. For me if you do that you're asking for trouble. The interesting thing was though, Hursty seemed to be telling the shop to go win the ball from deep about 30 seconds before he walked. On a completely seperate note though, i think that JPP will scored 20+ goals this year if he stays fit - looks a class act
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 1, 2014, 10:00am; Reply: 9
Quoted from bradzmilne
Regardless of what the first yellow was for as we can argue that until the cows come home. The second was mental behaviour, the shop must of ran 20 yards? and knocked/pushed/tickled someone over. It can't have been much more than 5 minutes after his first yellow. For me if you do that you're asking for trouble. The interesting thing was though, Hursty seemed to be telling the shop to go win the ball from deep about 30 seconds before he walked. On a completely seperate note though, i think that JPP will scored 20+ goals this year if he stays fit - looks a class act

Just showed very poor judgment for me. If a ref books you for backchat then you've already got his back up - there's no need to give him the opportunity to show you a second yellow and then, ultimately, change the course of the game causing three dropped points.

Andy Scott, in interview, says that Town are bossing the game and the sending off changes that. PH and Lennie know what the standard of refereeing is like in this league, why do we shoot ourselves in the foot? LJL has played over 200 professional games, doesn't he realise that 10 men don't win very often?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 1, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 10
That was extremely harsh!                                                
Posted by: Southernboy, September 1, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 11
Second booking looked from where I was stood as though he pulled the player over, either way it was daft and really cost us
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 1, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 12
Ridiculous choice to actually send him off but the way LJL was acting it almost seemed like it was coming. I get the feeling the ref just wanted to send him off and used the first available opportunity to do so. To send him off for that and change the game the way it did just ruined it, typical of refs down here.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 1, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 13
Was struck me most about the highlights was we played some really good stuff 1st half and looked unlucky not to score.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, September 1, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 14
John Moore ;D

a catalogue of disasters..............
Posted by: moosey_club, September 1, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 15
LJL clearly sarcastically applauded the ref for the free kick for which he was eventually booked, he did exactly the same motion when he got sent off and in the background you can clearly see see Hurst ranting and pointing to the ref and mouthing something at him..several times...not a great example to set the players.

We need to learn and quick.
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 1, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 16
I've just studied those 2 Lenny incidents and come to the conclusion that the ref. wanted to send some one off. Lenny - believed his shirt was pulled for the 1st yellow card and the foul should have been his way - hence the clapping (not in the referees direction) from 20 yards. Second yellow was for an honest challenge in trying to win the ball back - he knew immediately the red card was coming - as he knew he had been targeted - and clapped again when it was produced.

This ref.  has been around for a while and doesn't usually appear to be controversial. He was criticised a couple of weeks go (12 08 14) (at Barnet) for not sending a Bristol Rovers player off (not even giving a yellow) for a red card offence. This was a mistake that needed to be repaired.

As he is Essex based, then he has now repaired / re-established his bond with southern based clubs - i.m.o.

Will be interesting to see how he fares, if he gets any other Grimsby away games in the south east this season - and if we are doing well in the league.

(Studying for a degree in referee psychology)  ;)
Posted by: Grimal, September 1, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Teestogreen
I've just studied those 2 Lenny incidents and come to the conclusion that the ref. wanted to send some one off. Lenny - believed his shirt was pulled for the 1st yellow card and the foul should have been his way - hence the clapping (not in the referees direction) from 20 yards. Second yellow was for an honest challenge in trying to win the ball back - he knew immediately the red card was coming - as he knew he had been targeted - and clapped again when it was produced.

This ref.  has been around for a while and doesn't usually appear to be controversial. He was criticised a couple of weeks go (12 08 14) (at Barnet) for not sending a Bristol Rovers player off (not even giving a yellow) for a red card offence. This was a mistake that needed to be repaired.

As he is Essex based, then he has now repaired / re-established his bond with southern based clubs - i.m.o.

Will be interesting to see how he fares, if he gets any other Grimsby away games in the south east this season - and if we are doing well in the league.

[/b](Studying for a degree in referee psychology)  ;)
[b]

I don't think anyone in the world will ever gain a degree for that,you have more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar down Cleethorpes seafront.

Posted by: TonySmith, September 1, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 18
I honestly think that any player who gets booked for something totally avoidable such as comments to the ref, sarcastic clapping, celebrating in the crowd,or waving his shirt over his head, and then gets sent off for whatever reason should be fined by his club. It's irresponsible and unfair on your team mates who have to pick up the slack for your lack of self control. It's the sort of stuff that ends up costing points ( as we saw on Saturday )and can even end up costing promotion. I know players are human beings with emotions, but they are also professionals and need to see the big picture.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 2, 2014, 8:31am; Reply: 19
Quoted from TonySmith
I honestly think that any player who gets booked for something totally avoidable such as comments to the ref, sarcastic clapping, celebrating in the crowd,or waving his shirt over his head, and then gets sent off for whatever reason should be fined by his club. It's irresponsible and unfair on your team mates who have to pick up the slack for your lack of self control. It's the sort of stuff that ends up costing points ( as we saw on Saturday )and can even end up costing promotion. I know players are human beings with emotions, but they are also professionals and need to see the big picture.

But I thought it had been made clear that his first booking was for repeated infringements and not for backchat.
Posted by: Grimal, September 2, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 20
Quoted from headingly_mariner

But I thought it had been made clear that his first booking was for repeated infringements and not for backchat.

Before his first booking Lenny had given away 3 free kicks for fouls commited.If that is called repeated infringements then Hatton should have been booked,he had commited 2 fouls prior to Lennys first booking and then commited another foul just after the booking but he never recieved any cautions. So much inconsistancy by officials.

Posted by: Chrisblor, September 2, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 21
Quoted from headingly_mariner

In his post match comments Paul Hurst suggests the first booking was for dissent - "I believe his first booking was actually for dissent, but the second one – as far as I'm aware – was for a little bit of a foul."
Posted by: BIGChris, September 2, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Chrisblor

In his post match comments Paul Hurst suggests the first booking was for dissent - "I believe his first booking was actually for dissent, but the second one – as far as I'm aware – was for a little bit of a foul."

The referee said after the game the first caution was for persistent infringement of the laws. Having seen the video i can understand why fans would think it was for dissent.

Maybe the ref was just confirming he was confused and out of his depth???
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 10:59pm