Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 29, 2014, 11:05pm
Good luck to Cleethorpes Town who travel to Gresley Rovers in The FA Cup tomorrow, for what is possibly the biggest game in their short history.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 1
Serge Makofo playing against them tomorrow.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 2
They should be alright then!

Good luck to the Meggies (I know they're called the Owls but I can't bring myself to call them that).

I seem to remember Gresley having a good run int'Cup a "while"* back.

* Code for, I can't bleeding remember and it's probably much longer ago than I dare to check.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 30, 2014, 7:22am; Reply: 3
I think Futch used to be their manager a few years back and Garry Birtles was there with him too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 30, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 4
Full-time 0-0.

Replay at Bradley on Wednesday night 7:45ko.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 30, 2014, 5:23pm; Reply: 5
Good result for them. Maybe a few town will. Make it down on weds
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 30, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Not a bad idea actually, might well do!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 30, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Not a bad attempt at a haiku there Woz.

The addition of "fans" after "town" will supply the missing syllable.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, August 31, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not a bad attempt at a haiku there Woz.

The addition of "fans" after "town" will supply the missing syllable.

never forgot one from a Havelock pupil 40+ years ago...

Mushroom in the sky,
Forty thousand people die,
Without knowing why.....

Posted by: mariner tommy, August 31, 2014, 6:06pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 1739
Serge Makofo playing against them tomorrow.  

Don't think he is, he has signed for Whitehawk this season.

UTM
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 31, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 10
Cleethorpes have drawn Carlton Town at home in the 1st Qualifying Round if they win on Wednesday.

Carlton play in the Evo-Stick First Division South, the same Division as Gresley.
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 1, 2014, 9:03am; Reply: 11
Think I'll pop down myself and have a watch. Should have a half decent crowd?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2014, 9:21am; Reply: 12
Anyone else popping down to Bradley tonight rather than watch what will more than likely be the same old predictable England friendly on tele.

Only £5 to get in to experience the magic of The FA Cup.  ;D

Only 3 more wins needed after tonight and they could be facing us.  ;)
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 3, 2014, 9:58am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin
Anyone else popping down to Bradley tonight rather than watch what will more than likely be the same old predictable England friendly on tele.

Only £5 to get in to experience the magic of The FA Cup.  ;D

Only 3 more wins needed after tonight and they could be facing us.  ;)

Me!

Anyone know what the parking arrangements are? Is it still on the field?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Me!

Anyone know what the parking arrangements are? Is it still on the field?

There's the usual concreted car park there and also an overflow car park as well.

Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 15
Waiting for ko ale better than BP
Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 16
1 0 some good footy by meggies :-)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 3, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 17
I wonder what gates they would get if they bought Blundell Park (if we get a new stadium) off Grimsby Town, least they would have a reasonable stadium in Cleethorpes lol.  :)
Posted by: LH, September 3, 2014, 8:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I wonder what gates they would get if they bought Blundell Park (if we get a new stadium) off Grimsby Town, least they would have a reasonable stadium in Cleethorpes lol.  :)

Heard they're getting a similar one to Bradley at their ground near Lovelane Corner, whatever that's called these days.
Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 19
1 1 :-(
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 3, 2014, 9:05pm; Reply: 20
2 2 Official attendance tonight, 193, the largest crowd since they played GTFC
Posted by: DocTower, September 3, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 21
Whats the point of building exactly the same facilities for 193 faithful at Lovelane corner for cleethorpes town . The site is in Grimsby , if they must whats wrong with King George Stadium ?
Not being facetious , just seems no common sense .
Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 22
3 3 extra time. The other mob down to 10 men :-)
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 3, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from TAGG
3 3 extra time. The other mob down to 10 men :-)

I've been following it on twitter, sounds like a right beast of a game :) come on the owls!
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, September 3, 2014, 10:19pm; Reply: 24
now 5-4 to Clee both teams down to 9 men  :)
Posted by: LH, September 3, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 25
FT 5-4. Town better win on Saturday otherwise I'm supporting Cleethorpes.
Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 10:48pm; Reply: 26
mad game really enjoyed it. had everything will defo go back when Town not at home :-)
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 27
What fantastic entertainment that was. A stoppage time equaliser in normal time and there were 9 goals and 4 sendings off! Final score after extra-time was Cleethorpes Town 5 Gresley 4.

Clee started well and took the lead in the first 5 minutes but a mix-up in defence allowed Gresley to equalise. They were then the better team for the rest of the half and deservedly went in to the break 2-1 up.

Clee equalised early in the 2nd half with a great strike into the top corner but Gresley edged ahead 3-2, thanks to another defensive error. Gresley's keeper was somewhat fortunate to escape a red card after a petulant kick out at Clee forward Louis Grant but they did had a player sent off a bit later for dissent and with time running out Clee equalised from close range in stoppage time.

Clee then had a player sent off for a second booking before Gresley took the lead again but only a minute later Clee equalised again from the penalty spot which led to Gresley's 2nd player being sent off. Another Clee player then got his marching orders for a second yellow and at 4-4 it was Clee who grabbed the final goal was the ball was crossed low into the area and it was converted at the far post much to the delight of the majority of the 193 in attendance.

All in all great entertainment which goes to show that The Magic Of The FA Cup is still alive and kicking.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 3, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 28
Nothing for the ref to put in his match report then? :)
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 3, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 29
Brilliant entertainment for a usually dull Wednesday evening. Saw a lot of familiar faces as well from BP - after that will have to pop and watch our neighbours a little bit more often. Who on earth said the FA Cup is dead?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 30
Comedy moment of the first half was when a Gresley player went down injured and the referee beckoned to the Gresley bench for the trainer to come on.

Their manager replied "We ain't flipping got one" before running on the pitch with a water bottle. Pure Sunday League stuff.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 4, 2014, 12:58am; Reply: 31
Excellent. Chuffed at that result.

Be daft if they develop (and move back to) Lovelane Corner. Can hardly justify the expense. Better option surely is to ground share with GTFC if they want to move from Bradley.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 4, 2014, 7:22am; Reply: 32
Sounds almost as action-packed as the England game.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 4, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 33
I messaged Cleethorpes Town this morning, asking them to look into the possibility of allowing GTFC season ticket fans into their games for concession prices (£2).  They think it is a great idea, and will look into the possibility of it happening.  The reason they are looking into new premises, is that it is very expensive for the club to rent Bradley Park, and the club get no money back from the bar and food sales.

Watch this space for future announcements
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 4, 2014, 10:42am; Reply: 34
Quoted from DocTower
Whats the point of building exactly the same facilities for 193 faithful at Lovelane corner for cleethorpes town . The site is in Grimsby , if they must whats wrong with King George Stadium ?
Not being facetious , just seems no common sense .

It does seem stupid to have another ground built next door to an existing stadium that has all weather pitches attached. Presumably as Dave Mann says the issue is the income from bar takings etc. and they will get a cut from the social club. It could make a decent place I suppose though there would have to be some finance for the investment.

The other thing is of course - what happens to Bradley? Borough may carry on there but is there anyone else who could afford to join them and what happens if Borough declines down the leagues as Cleethorpes grows and draws the local talent?

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 4, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 35
I don't know if they have any funding in place but there would need to be some serious development at Linden if Clee have real ambitions of climbing up the football pyramid.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 4, 2014, 11:05am; Reply: 36

It does seem stupid to have another ground built next door to an existing stadium that has all weather pitches attached. Presumably as Dave Mann says the issue is the income from bar takings etc. and they will get a cut from the social club. It could make a decent place I suppose though there would have to be some finance for the investment.

The other thing is of course - what happens to Bradley? Borough may carry on there but is there anyone else who could afford to join them and what happens if Borough declines down the leagues as Cleethorpes grows and draws the local talent?

I think Borough's decline has already started. I know they are struggling for players and are already rock-bottom of the league with 3 very heavy defeats in their first 4 games.

They're going to need serious improvement pretty quickly if they're not going to become their leagues whipping boys this season.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 4, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
I don't know if they have any funding in place but there would need to be some serious development at Linden if Clee have real ambitions of climbing up the football pyramid.

There would be other issues too I think. They would need permission to actually build at Linden wouldn't they? From memory there is a preservation area round there. I'm very much pro Clee Town but there would need to be some serious long term thinking about this idea. Surely some sort of deal could be reached over King George's with its built-in facilities. It might prove to be in the council's interests too.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 4, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 38

There would be other issues too I think. They would need permission to actually build at Linden wouldn't they? From memory there is a preservation area round there. I'm very much pro Clee Town but there would need to be some serious long term thinking about this idea. Surely some sort of deal could be reached over King George's with its built-in facilities. It might prove to be in the council's interests too.

Absolutely. How shocking that they would consider building a football ground so close to the burial mound! I bet Councillor de Freitas is already mobilising a petition for the next Bronze Age funeral.  ;)

Seriously  if CTFC were to move that's going to hit the revenue for the Bradley stadium anyway - surely the landlord (the council?) would rather re-negotiate the lease/bar takings deal, or maybe as they hold the whip hand on new developments they know it ain't gonna happen.  A tie up with GTFC has got to make sense hasn't it? No capital outlay for Clee, no planning issues, facilities that would exceed Clee's requirements all the way up the NL Pyramid. Collaboration on other facilities, coaching, physio....A deal could surely be struck that suits both clubs. Win-win.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 4, 2014, 4:41pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Absolutely. How shocking that they would consider building a football ground so close to the burial mound! I bet Councillor de Freitas is already mobilising a petition for the next Bronze Age funeral.  ;)

Seriously  if CTFC were to move that's going to hit the revenue for the Bradley stadium anyway - surely the landlord (the council?) would rather re-negotiate the lease/bar takings deal, or maybe as they hold the whip hand on new developments they know it ain't gonna happen.  A tie up with GTFC has got to make sense hasn't it? No capital outlay for Clee, no planning issues, facilities that would exceed Clee's requirements all the way up the NL Pyramid. Collaboration on other facilities, coaching, physio....A deal could surely be struck that suits both clubs. Win-win.

I heard that the Bradley FDC made a financial loss last season and that they are planning to franchise out the 2 separate bar areas.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 5, 2014, 8:48am; Reply: 40
I hear that Clee Town are trying to get the date of the next round switched.

It should be a week on Saturday (13th) when we are at home to Torquay but they are looking to switch it to either the Friday night or the Sunday so that the Grimsby fans who want to go can but their opponents aren't keen and want to play on the Saturday.

I'll definitely go again if it does get switched as the Gresley game was thoroughly enjoyable.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 5, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 41
I have always thought that Cleethorpes Town play attractive attacking football, and I try to go to every home game if it does not clash with Grimsby Towns games.

There full season ticket is £70 a season, so it is reasonably priced, I have also found out that the concessions is as normal, kids, students and pensioners, there is no concessions for unemployed, but things MIGHT change shortly
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 6, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 42
I see they had another win today, 5 2 in the FA Vase against Loughborough University
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 9, 2014, 9:09am; Reply: 43
Unfortunately, Clee's opponents in the next round Carlton United, would not agree to a switch of date, so the game will be played this Saturday, 3pm kick-off, the same time as we face Torquay at home.

A shame it couldn't have been switched as I know I would have gone along if the game had been moved to either the Friday evening or Sunday and I'm sure a few other Mariners fans would have too.
Posted by: mr b, September 13, 2014, 10:31pm; Reply: 44
See cleethorpes win in the fa cup today 3-2 from 2 down some fight there against a higher ranked side !

Well done
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 13, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mr b
See cleethorpes win in the fa cup today 3-2 from 2 down some fight there against a higher ranked side !

Well done

I see that. Well don't the owls!

I think tier 6 sides come into it now, maybe they'll get boston or ferriby! :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 13, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 46
An added time winner too.
Posted by: LH, September 13, 2014, 11:52pm; Reply: 47
Can't wait to lose to them in the 4QR.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2014, 12:02am; Reply: 48
Some good news then!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2014, 1:22pm; Reply: 49
A great reward for Cleethorpes in the next round, a home tie against North Ferriby United!

There's a chance they may try to switch the game, as they tried to in the last round.

I'm sure a Friday evening or Sunday kick-off would add a few more to the gate as we're at home to Chester the same day.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 16, 2014, 4:11pm; Reply: 50
Unfortunately, North Ferriby will not agree to a switch to Friday evening as Cleethorpes had proposed so the game will go ahead on the scheduled date of Saturday 27th Sept 3pm kick-off, the same time as our home game v Chester. Under FA rules, games can only be switched if both teams agree.

If the game had been switched then I would have gone along to support them, in what is the biggest game in their short history, although I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few Grimsby fans choose to watch the Clee game rather than ours anyway.

Good luck to Cleethorpes anyway and hopefully they can claim the biggest win in their history.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 16, 2014, 4:20pm; Reply: 51
Grimsby beat Cleethorpes Town 5-0 in the FA Cup on 17th November 1885. Could history repeat itself?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2014, 12:17am; Reply: 52
That's a tasty fixture. North bank v south bank. Potential "giant" killing. Wish I could go.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:30am