Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, August 29, 2014, 10:55pm
Strange one...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 29, 2014, 10:56pm; Reply: 1
I heard this earlier and thought it was a wind up
Posted by: LH, August 29, 2014, 10:58pm; Reply: 2
Technically they're in Europe so at least he wasn't lying.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 29, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 3
I heard this mentioned in The Imp last Monday before the game but as it hadn't been mentioned on here I didn't think it was true.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 29, 2014, 11:05pm; Reply: 4
Signed a 1 year deal.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin
I heard this mentioned in The Imp last Monday before the game but as it hadn't been mentioned on here I didn't think it was true.

;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 29, 2014, 11:40pm; Reply: 6
Unlucky, offered a contract and turned it down thinking he was too good for us, now playing part time for a team we beat 7-0 last weekend, 1-0 to Hurst
Posted by: Billybigbollox, August 29, 2014, 11:46pm; Reply: 7
I liked Thanoj a nice footballer very safe plays to deep for me tho would of liked to see him 30 yards up the pitch think he could of set alot more goals up........In Brown tho we have a all action player he is every true leader also .......UTM
Posted by: cjbill, August 30, 2014, 8:11am; Reply: 8
Thanoj and Kerr vs Clay and Brown...... I think we got the better deal there
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 30, 2014, 8:17am; Reply: 9
A real shame, I had high hopes for Andi. He was a quality passer of the ball with a good range but he didn't really progress. He wasn't always aware of what was going on around him and like a lot of young lads, he didn't really see 'the picture'. He lacks the aggression a good well rounded central midfielder needs, doesn't win much in the air, isn't the quickest and had problems with consistency.

He can go on to have a good career but he needs to drastically improve on the more abrasive side of the game. I wonder if Alfreton is the club for him, I think not but I suppose location and desperation rule here.
Posted by: Youngy, August 30, 2014, 8:34am; Reply: 10
Because we offered him a deal and he's signed for a domestic team, are we not due compensation because of his age and him being a product of our youth development?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, August 30, 2014, 9:01am; Reply: 11
I'm surprised in the sense that it seemed he had something better lined up. But in terms of ability I think that's about his level. He is quite good at passing - that's about it. Very rarely influenced a game that I can remember.
Posted by: Rick12, August 30, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 75
He can go on to have a good career but he needs to drastically improve on the more abrasive side of the game. I wonder if Alfreton is the club for him, I think not but I suppose location and desperation rule here.
Think he is better than part time and like you think he is unfulfilled. If he applied himself more I think could be decent player
Posted by: Tommy, August 30, 2014, 9:17am; Reply: 13
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I'm surprised in the sense that it seemed he had something better lined up. But in terms of ability I think that's about his level. He is quite good at passing - that's about it. Very rarely influenced a game that I can remember.

Agree with all of this.

But not surprised he's ended up at a club lower than ourselves.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 30, 2014, 10:03am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Youngy
Because we offered him a deal and he's signed for a domestic team, are we not due compensation because of his age and him being a product of our youth development?

Quite possibly as long as we offered him terms at least equal to his last deal I think. However, I work in Alfreton and know a few of their fans, apparently the momey man at Alfreton FC has pulled out so I doubt they'd be able to cough up!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 30, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 15
what about the bosman ruling. I thought the reason he'd have to find a club in Europe was because we'd want compensation if he went elsewhere in England after offering him a contract
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 30, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 16
good luck to him.

He has talent but i just felt he didnt progress enough during his time here.Is a decent honest player and can pass for sure but lacked a bit of physical presence. Ultimately i was never convinced he would be good enough to be a regular starter for Town. His shortcomings outweighed his talent imo.

I thought he was intending to play abroad....presumably nothing happened for him. He was brought up in the Leicester area so Alfreton may be close to family etc. Gives him a chance to kick-start his career.  i wish him well.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2014, 11:48am; Reply: 17
We will be entitled to compensation ,

BUT

It will not be much,
Posted by: TAGG, August 30, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 18
Good luck to the lad always thought there was a talent there. Sometimes you need to make a change to move on upwards again.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, August 30, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 19
Presumably there will be a Tribunal assessment?

I thought he wanted to play in Albania or nearby to further his international career. Alfreton probably reminds him of Albania maybe?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 30, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 20
No hard feelings and good luck to him, but with Clay and Brown, we've not come out of it too shabbily.
Posted by: immariner, August 31, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 21
Isn't Clay the same age? Seems like an upgrade with his performances at the minute.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 31, 2014, 1:50pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from immariner
Isn't Clay the same age? Seems like an upgrade with his performances at the minute.

Clay has put in a couple of good performances and the signs are encouraging he can become a good player for us. We probably have to give him a run of games before we can make an informed verdict on him.

As for Thanoj , whilst never a regular, we can assess him over a period of time ie 4 seasons. And there lies the problem- as i said in a previous post  he has some talent but in 4 years never established himself and i fear was never going to. I hope he can use Alfreton to get his career going again. Regardless of how Clay turns out Thanoj was not good enough imo for Town.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 1, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 23
I really rated Thanoj.  I always felt he would benefit from playing at a higher level where his technical abilities would flourish more.

Disappointed to see him go but with the lads we've brought in, I can't really say I'm disappointed he's signed elsewhere in our league.    He was a joy to watch at times when compared to the cloggers we've had in midfield in recent years, which may well have been the appeal of him.
Posted by: Maringer, September 1, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 24
Personally, I'm of the opposite view as regards Thanoj.

I could never see why he was so highly rated by many as he rarely put two good performances together.

Oh well, you never know. Although I'd be surprised if he did much at Alfreton, it might work out for him there as some players do well at one club but not another.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 1, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 25
I think we may find that Thanoj could possibly actually be suited to a higher level of football, odd as that sounds. His short comings came when closed down quickly by physical midfielders, he'd certainly have more time and space at a higher level to pick out passes & we all know he's can certainly pick a pass.
Posted by: Maringer, September 1, 2014, 8:33pm; Reply: 26
But, the question is, can he really pick a pass? We've always heard about how good he was with the ball at his feet, but I can't really remember too many great passes from him. Few defence-splitting passes or assists that I can remember (though our strikers haven't exactly been prolific over the past couple of seasons), the odd goal here and there but nothing too memorable.

Hurst always noted he had the ability so I'm assuming he must have shown this in training, but in match situations? Not so much.

As Alfreton seem likely to struggle this season (based on our demolition of them last week), it could be even more difficult for him to impose himself on games. Hope he does well for them as long as they aren't playing us!
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 1, 2014, 8:42pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer
But, the question is, can he really pick a pass? We've always heard about how good he was with the ball at his feet, but I can't really remember too many great passes from him. Few defence-splitting passes or assists that I can remember (though our strikers haven't exactly been prolific over the past couple of seasons), the odd goal here and there but nothing too memorable.

Hurst always noted he had the ability so I'm assuming he must have shown this in training, but in match situations? Not so much.

As Alfreton seem likely to struggle this season (based on our demolition of them last week), it could be even more difficult for him to impose himself on games. Hope he does well for them as long as they aren't playing us!

The last really class striker we had here was Hearn and he thrived off Thanoj when he played, i'd be interested to see how many goals Hearn got when Thanoj was on the pitch.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:08am