Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WappingMariner, August 29, 2014, 10:27pm
So after the last two games it seems Paul Hurst has a good understanding of the players he wants in his first team for *every* game. Unsurprisingly, Craig Disley has fallen out of favour due to there being better players able to replace him. His absence from the starting eleven provokes the question: who will take over as captain? Personally, I'd suggest Shaun Pearson.
Posted by: Maringer, August 29, 2014, 10:33pm; Reply: 1
Oooh, looks like trolling to me.

Disley will have a big part to play this season, no doubt about it. Still one of our better players and his goals could be very useful this season, providing he gets back into the team, of course. Regardless, you don't remove the club captaincy from a player just because he's not currently being picked. The on-field captain when Disley isn't playing seems pretty likely to be either Pearson or Brown.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 2
LOL Maringer, what makes you say that ?  ;)

Can see both sides to this tbh.
Won't deny I've always thought Pearson would be a very good captain.
But if he takes that on field role in Disley's absence it's good enough for me.

There must be a very good reason why Hurst thinks Disley is better suited.
Discipline ?
Experience ?

Without taking the urine....
Intelligence ? (Perhaps not, Bryan Robson was hardly mastermind ?)

PS Sorry Shaun you're a very nice guy & top bloke ! (thumbup)
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2014, 11:03pm; Reply: 3
Agree with two posts above.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 4
I agree with Maringer. Don't dis the Dis.

Pearson would be a good skipper if he would show a bit more discipline and kept his hands to himself (oo-er (blush) ).
Posted by: Abdul19, August 30, 2014, 1:16am; Reply: 5
I'd also suggest Shaun Pearson. This is primarily based on the fact that he's captained us the last 2 games.
Posted by: willows fc, August 30, 2014, 2:30am; Reply: 6
Think Shaun's less lickley to get booked for decent as captain. He talked his way into a fair few bookings last season.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, August 30, 2014, 4:37am; Reply: 7
Quoted from willows fc
Think Shaun's less lickley to get booked for decent as captain. He talked his way into a fair few bookings last season.

That's a very good point, though I think the refs give captains a bit more leeway when arguing the case for his teammates rather than about themselves....

Posted by: BrickTop, August 30, 2014, 6:49am; Reply: 8
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

That's a very good point, though I think the refs give captains a bit more leeway when arguing the case for his teammates rather than about themselves....

This. You can tell Pearson would accept the role of captain with pride. You always see him at functions such as coaching the kids etc. Seems a decent bloke to me and obviously likes being here. That being said, I don't believe we should take the captaincy off Disley just because he hasn't played for a couple of games, he's another top bloke IMO, always talks sense in interviews and clearly knows the game.
Maybe club captain for Disley when the time comes to hand over the captaincy?
Posted by: oldludensian, August 30, 2014, 7:57am; Reply: 9
Perhaps if players gave refs more respect (a la rugby union) players (including Pearson) could avoid unwanted suspensions through the totting up of yellows?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 30, 2014, 8:07am; Reply: 10
Disley is a quality player and a quality bloke. He is currently out of the side, it's fair to say he hasn't had the best of starts to the season (though you can't diss the Dis over his last sub appearance at Gateshead - 10 secs and in the net!) but he will come back and will play his part in our title win this season. Course, he can play centrally but I do worry if Neilson is injured, who plays that number 10 role behind the two strikers? I think Disley can play there, he can pass the ball and will get goals, he might be a little bit of a square peg in a round hole there but he will do a good job, especially with the holding players behind him.
Posted by: DocTower, August 30, 2014, 9:16am; Reply: 11
Quoted from willows fc

Said this last year , would have saved him getting bookings , being over passionate .
Posted by: Garth, August 30, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 12
Disley will be back all guns firing, it seems that he was getting a little jaded last season although scoring goals from a midfield that was not of the standard of this season, he will be chomping on the bit to start
Posted by: acko338, August 30, 2014, 10:18am; Reply: 13
Disley was in danger of serious burnout last season along with niggly injuries - whereas, this season, we have Brown to do the rough stuff, and give him or others in the same position a chance to shine.

Disley will suffer fewer injuries and play a big part in the latter part of games if not on from the start. Still think he'll get his 10 goal quota again !
Posted by: horsforthmariner, August 30, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 14
I  would give Pearson the captaincy. Purely because then he should pick up less bookings for backchat.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:38am