Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Freemoash88, August 29, 2014, 6:14pm
Hello fishy friends,

Just putting this out there that I heard today from a former steward who has connections within the in club that we are after a striker who's played in the championship  league 1 and 2 and has plenty of experience  and scored a few goals no names was actually mentioned and could be aload of member and bull and clearly doesn't narrow it down but just thought I would share with others.

UTM
Posted by: livosnose, August 29, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 1
Freddie Eastwood ?
Posted by: Paris Mariner, August 29, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 2
So he basically told you we're rumoured to be looking for a striker...
Posted by: ivanosandwich, August 29, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from livosnose
Freddie Eastwood ?

I didn't know that Freddie Eastwood was a former steward at the club.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 29, 2014, 6:46pm; Reply: 4
Well Paul said we might sign a player before the deadline and that player might be a striker,

Then he said there is no rush as the loan window opens again a week later,

So if I am reading him right,

The player is contracted to a club and if no one comes in and sign him before the deadline,

We might get him on a loan.

With our strikers and midfield players scoring like they are doing and with Hannah and Arnold to come back,

He will have to be good to have a seat on the bench never mind a place in the starting eleven.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, August 29, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 5
Connell?
Posted by: Mariner21, August 29, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 6
Ched evans??!!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 7
Danny wright has left Forest Green. Scored a few for Wrexham but has done nothing at Forest Green
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner21
Ched evans??!!

We could debate this for a while! Very good striker- but what he has been convicted of, i would never want to see him in a town shirt
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 29, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Hagrid

We could debate this for a while! Very good striker- but what he has been convicted of, i would never want to see him in a town shirt

Agree with you Hagrid.
Posted by: Mariner21, August 29, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 10
Personally i supported Terrell forbes while he was here.  Although Evans has been convicted and served his time.  I wouldn't have an issue with him at my club.  Not like it'll happen!!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 11
I don't think we need a striker now. We Have LJL and Pittman who have the shirts at the moment. We also have Ross Hannah and Nathan Arnold breathing down their necks with the latter able to provide competition on the wings too.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 29, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 12
he's already served his time. Seems a little harsh making him play for us as well
Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2014, 10:13pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 75
I don't think we need a striker now. We Have LJL and Pittman who have the shirts at the moment. We also have Ross Hannah and Nathan Arnold breathing down their next with the latter able to provide competition on the wings too.

Weren't you offering to stump up £2k for a striker we "desperately needed" a month ago? Not a criticism just an observation!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from gtfc98

Weren't you offering to stump up £2k for a striker we "desperately needed" a month ago? Not a criticism just an observation!

Haha, yep! I'm as fickle as they come. To be fair, Paul Hurst deserves a lot of credit for altering the shape of the team but our improvement also has a lot to do with the return of the suspended and injured lads, Scott Neilson has been superb in the hole.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 29, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from gtfc98

I think most of us thought the same though.  And to be honest, i still think we do  :-/

Looking forward to piling on weight during the season due to overdosing on humble pie  ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2014, 10:29pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 75

Haha, yep! I'm as fickle as they come. To be fair, Paul Hurst deserves a lot of credit for altering the shape of the team but our improvement also has a lot to do with the return of the suspended and injured lads, Scott Neilson has been superb in the hole.

Personally I think you were right before. We need another striker, the goals will no doubt dry up and if LJL gets injured there's no focal point to the attack
Posted by: WappingMariner, August 29, 2014, 10:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mariner21
Ched evans??!!

Not another petition...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), August 29, 2014, 10:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 75
I don't think we need a striker now. We Have LJL and Pittman who have the shirts at the moment. We also have Ross Hannah and Nathan Arnold breathing down their necks with the latter able to provide competition on the wings too.

THIS.
If results and gates improve, maybe we can think about a SH1T HOT striker ?
Well done for offering your £2K Vicar, much respect !
Posted by: Maringer, August 29, 2014, 10:47pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid

The odd thing is that Evans did the same thing as McDonald (and on the same night, in the same room), but it was deemed that he was criminal in his actions whereas McDonald was acquitted. Don't know about the whys or wherefores of the case or whether either was guilty as charged (though Evans is still launching appeals, apparently), but it's a very strange state of affairs that one should have been convicted but not the other.

Tend to doubt he will be on the way here in any case.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 29, 2014, 10:49pm; Reply: 20
If he signs a new striker it will be as back up. PH has just got a decent partnership started and Hannah fit. Nobody of great note or reputation is going to want to come to BP on loan and play second or third fiddle. They will want games. So the likelihood is that it will either be a cheap standby in case of injuries on a short contract, or no-one.
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2014, 11:25pm; Reply: 21
Exactly.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I didn't know that Freddie Eastwood was a former steward at the club.

No Scunny's where he works with all the other .....erm.....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2014, 11:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33
Exactly.

Are you the Anti-80s Glory?
Posted by: Mariner21, August 30, 2014, 3:53am; Reply: 24
Karl Hawley!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 30, 2014, 8:11am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mariner21
Karl Hawley!

Released by a ten bob conference team. Used to be class in the lower reaches of the football league but I suppose he's over 30 now and obviously struggling.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 30, 2014, 9:17am; Reply: 26
I'm a little unsure of getting in a striker for the sake of it when our frontmen building up good understandings with each other is important. Towards the end of last season there was too much fritting about between strikers when we brought the likes of Okinywea(?) in and tried to accommodate everybody.

Nathon Arnold sees himself as a striker though I'm sure Hursty will utilise him on the wing more and Jack Macreth (who looks a nuisance) can do a job up there too. I'm sure Arnold will prove to be real quality once back and running and I like this 'quality rather than quantity' approach.

Personally I'd prefer to see a loan striker brought in on an 'as needed' basis in the event of an injury/suspension crisis otherwise the delicate balance might be upset. But then again strength in depth is the flip side to look at things.
Posted by: Garth, August 30, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 27
With hindsight and the way things are now it would have been prudent to have kept Southwell as a back up for injuries etc
Posted by: Maringer, August 30, 2014, 9:44am; Reply: 28
I'd imagine that Hurst still thinks he can do better than Southwell.

I wonder if we'll be signing another attacker who can play wide and up front as well? It's been mentioned that Arnold can play through the middle so a bit of versatility would be useful - providing the player is capable at both tasks!

Perhaps a younger player coming in on loan from a League club?
Posted by: Southernboy, August 30, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 29
No rush to get another striker surely?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2014, 10:03am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Southernboy
No rush to get another striker surely?

That depends on those at the club staying injury/suspension free and in form. I think we could do with another front player.
Posted by: biggles9999, August 30, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 31
It is always better to strengthen from a strong position than a weak one.

In some ways our recent results might have made us more attractive to a good striker who will improve the team. If you are a player needing to prove himself then where better than a club creating plenty of chances for you to finish?

Plus as others have mentioned, we only really have 3 strikers at the moment, just because Arnold can play there it doesn't mean he's going to be any good at it. Also if we are going to continue playing 4312 then Pittman may be needed to drop back into the Neilson role, Pittman himself may get injured - 2 of our strikers get injured and we are struggling further.

If there's a top quality striker available, then go get him.
Posted by: oldun, August 30, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 32
Problem is a top quality striker is likely to be playing for his club. Others not getting a game may not want to come here and sit on the bench. Tricky one this. A loan deal as and when we need one may be the best option. Loan period opens again in a couple if weeks time I think.
Posted by: Mariners_15, August 30, 2014, 1:07pm; Reply: 33
I see Ryan Bird hasn't been able to get into the Portsmouth squad the past few games! Worth a call?
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 34
Three players to cover 2 positions just isn't enough. With LJL suspended next game, we're left with Pittman and Hannah and, if they don't work out together or one gets injured, we won't have any other striking options on the bench (other than possibly, Arnold).

At a push, I reckon Neilson could play up front as well, but I think we really need another 'big' striker for when LJL is injured/suspended/out of form. Last season Cook was available as this second option, but we've not replaced him.
Posted by: Southernboy, August 31, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 35
Fair points Ginny and Maringer but I didn't except Lenny to make himself unavailable quite so quickly!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 31, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 36
Send for the Tonk!
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:20am