Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 22, 2014, 1:59pm
No team news as of yet - Just started raining here in Nuneaton and quite windy too. Difficult game!!
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 1
Ffs wakey wakey town just thought id get it in first lol.

I never realised Lincoln are 5 pts from playoffs could they make a late surge.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2014, 2:19pm; Reply: 2
A win today please.
Posted by: Sigone, March 22, 2014, 2:23pm; Reply: 3
3 changes. out thanoj,cook & hatton
in rodman shop bignot
Posted by: denni266, March 22, 2014, 2:26pm; Reply: 4
Ffs more wholesale changes, how the hell are we supposed to get a settled team with this clown in charge ??)
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 2:27pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Sigone
in rodman shop bignot

NO, we cant have Kerr & Disley, I hope I'm proved wrong but I'd much rather have Thanoj.
We seem to go out worrying what the opposition are going to do, we need to go out & just play are own game like in the second half on Tuesday
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Sigone
in rodman shop bignot

Kin ell, cant we give a team a run ffs.

Its worrying now.
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 7
The tinkerman
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 8
McKeown, Bignott, Boyce, Pearson, Thomas, Rodman, Disley, Kerr, Neilson, John-Lewis, Jennings.

Subs: Cook, Hannah, Tounkara, Thanoj, McDonald.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 22, 2014, 2:35pm; Reply: 9
Not happy with that team! Why the pissing changes?!
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 10
Because we lost last match?

I'm OK with it - Bignot's OK - but wondering why Sam Hatton's not even on the bench?  Towards the end of the last game he was so involved, Matt Dean was saying 'Sam Hatton this, Sam Hatton that' in just about every breath?  I swear I even heard him say 'Sam Hatton is now taking a goal kick for FGR'!!  Anyone else hear that?   ;D  Sam's not injured is he?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 11
So where's Sam Hatton disappeared to? Comes back in for a few games and then goes off the radar again

I don't get the constant swapping at right back....either Bignot is the first choice or not and then Hatton should not get a look in except for injuries but don't keep changing for change's sake
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 12
What I dont understand is he said in the GET about Cook playing well then drops him.  I dont think PH understands the confidence destroying he is doing.  Can someone tell me what incentive there is when you play well then dropped.  I know he gets paid and to remain professional but tinkering with the team trying to keep everyone happy will kill our season.  However I hope im wrong and those that come in do themselves justice.   He was always probably going to play LJL hoping for a reaction.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from marinette
Because we lost last match?

I'm OK with it - Bignot's OK - but wondering why Sam Hatton's not even on the bench?  Towards the end of the last game he was so involved, Matt Dean was saying 'Sam Hatton this, Sam Hatton that' in just about every breath?  I swear I even heard him say 'Sam Hatton is now taking a goal kick for FGR'.  Anyone else hear that?   ;D  Sam's not injured is he?

Beat me to it by a few seconds Marinette but seems we're both just as perplexed by Sam Hatton's non-inclusion

Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Meza
The tinkerman

Cook plays a game scores, plays the next game doesnt score, next game dropped...

John lewis plays a game, cant score for excrement gets dropped, next game back in.

One of them was one of our best players last season and scored goals plus was one of the best strikers in the league.

Great way to treat a player who hasnt even had a chance in the first place.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, March 22, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 15
We have lost before the game even starts!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 2:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Meza
What I dont understand is he said in the GET about Cook playing well then drops him.  I dont think PH understands the confidence destroying he is doing.  Can someone tell me what incentive there is when you play well then dropped.  I know he gets paid and to remain professional but tinkering with the team trying to keep everyone happy will kill our season.  However I hope im wrong and those that come in do themselves justice.   He was always probably going to play LJL hoping for a reaction.

If you want a guide on how to destroy a player and his confidence, paul hurst is your man.
Posted by: denni266, March 22, 2014, 2:43pm; Reply: 17
He is well out of his depth , chopping and changing every week. if there is a moral problem in the camp its him imo. I wouldnt feel happy playing for him, and am sure the players feel it no matter what they say in public. how can players feel happy when you play ok and keep gettind droped,, unless you are a fav
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 2:45pm; Reply: 18
Ooh, I'm getting all revved up for this one, having read some of these comments.  Hope the players are as revved up as I am - we can't lose!
Posted by: denni266, March 22, 2014, 2:47pm; Reply: 19
We could win 6-0 and he would still change 2/3 players for the next game..... i have lost it for him now
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 20
Did our past managers kept chopping and changing?
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 21
Taken from the wall

March 22 2014 2:49 PMPlease join us in THE DOCK TOWER LIVE CHAT........www.gtfcthedocktower.com we have built in match commentary and much more....its free and all are welcome
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 2:53pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from denni266
He is well out of his depth , chopping and changing every week. if there is a moral problem in the camp its him imo. I wouldnt feel happy playing for him, and am sure the players feel it no matter what they say in public. how can players feel happy when you play ok and keep gettind droped,, unless you are a fav

I don't have a problem with Hurst having favourites (McKeown, Pearson, Disley, LJL always usually on the team sheet without a second thought) if he is trying to impose a strong team on the opposition but it's the other changes I don't get

Aswad / Fyfield

Bignot / Hatton

He must know who he prefers there in the full back spots

Midfield he clearly favours Kerr alongside Disley which is again ok providing they're both on top of their game, so no look in for Thanoj on that basis

But the wingers....Rodman in one game out the next; Nielson not having complete games (either being subbed or not starting them) and then Colbeck when he was fit keeping both of these two out regularly

Then up front...PH seems to have made his mind up that Hannah and Cook are not up to scratch (but last season they could both score for fun) and then there's Tonk who has to be factored in

Hope I'm wrong and we take this one by storm but there's no evidence that this constant chopping and changing works positively for us :-/
Posted by: bluebottle, March 22, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 23
come on town get at 'em.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 3:01pm; Reply: 24
And they're off....

Come on Town. Give us something to cheer!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 25
I'm ok with this line up. Don't care for Cook, I prefer Shop especially as Disley's back in the middle. Looks a decent balance against a big strapping team.
Posted by: misterx, March 22, 2014, 3:05pm; Reply: 26
If I was Cook I would move on next season, he is worth a run in a team, and is a more likely scorer than anyone we are playing.  As to all these changes, just shows that we haven't got a clue, pick a settled side and stick to it, instead of in out in out!!
Posted by: bluebottle, March 22, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 27
Rodderssssssssssss
Posted by: Hagrid, March 22, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 28
YES!!!!
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 29
Rodders you beauty 0-1 Town!

UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 30
Goooaaaaallll

1-0 Town
Posted by: ginnywings, March 22, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 31
Woohoo!

Now build on it.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 32
Good start from Town. 1-0 up, now for the killer touch as we go for the second!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 22, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 33
Wow, not seen such anger at a manager simply making 3 changes. Given that we play Tues/Sat for the rest of the season it seems to make sense to use the squad.

Rodman shouldn't even be in the fcking team. Sort it Hurst.
Posted by: Mariner Marty, March 22, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 34
Finally a good start! Get in Rodman.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), March 22, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 35
Assist from Aswad again.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 3:09pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Wow, not seen such anger at a manager simply making 3 changes. Given that we play Tues/Sat for the rest of the season it seems to make sense to use the squad.

That's enough of that Mr Meanwood, on to the sensible step for you!
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:09pm; Reply: 37
Oh well I feel sheepish lol
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 22, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 38
These bloody stupid changes eh. Fancy bringing Rodman back into the starting line-up. What a clown Hurst is!!
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 39
Get in town
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 40
Another slow start.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 22, 2014, 3:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin
These bloody stupid changes eh. Fancy bringing Rodman back into the starting line-up. What a clown Hurst is!!

I don't acknowledge the goal Les. Making changes to the starting XI is always 100% wrong. Rodman could score a hattrick today but the decision to play him would still be wrong.
Posted by: grimsbyjack, March 22, 2014, 3:12pm; Reply: 42
Now lets get back and go for a second goal !!
UTM !!
Posted by: gtfc82, March 22, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 43
I'll reserve judgement till full time!! We've not been very good at keeping leads recently!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 22, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 44
Typical my connection to Blunderside died just before the goal and just got it back up.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 3:14pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin

Maybe shouldn't have been out on Tuesday though Les - I'd rather he'd have played against  FGR instead of Disley being wide right and then he wouldn't have had to bring him back today :-/
Posted by: Abdul19, March 22, 2014, 3:15pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Another slow start.

8)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 3:16pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Les Brechin

Who said anything about rodman?

It was more of cook not getting a chance.
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:20pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Who said anything about rodman?

It was more of cook not getting a chance.

That is true Jonnyboy I did want cookie to play today but thinking about it we lost and so forces the manager to make changes.  At the end of the day I just want us to win.
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 3:20pm; Reply: 49
;D  i'm liking this so far!
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:23pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Meza

That is true Jonnyboy I did want cookie to play today but thinking about it we lost and so forces the manager to make changes.  At the end of the day I just want us to win.

As do we all Meza, as do we all.

UTM
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 51
Have the Cook lobbyists considered the fact he hasn't looked in particularly great shape all season?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2014, 3:26pm; Reply: 52
Great news!  C,Mon Town give us a win today.
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 22, 2014, 3:26pm; Reply: 53
Have the Cook lobbyists considered the fact he hasn't looked in particularly great shape all season?

Have the anti-Cook brigade thought that he hasn't had more than 2 starts in a row all season and was our top scorer last season. Players do not just turn excrement, something happens and for me it's purely a mental thing and lack of games.
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 3:28pm; Reply: 54

Have the LJL lobbyists considered the fact he's been crap all season?

Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:28pm; Reply: 55
In other news Wrexham 1 up vs Salisbury
Barnet 2 up vs Hereford
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:30pm; Reply: 56
I don't mean match fit, I mean less pies fit. And I'm not anti-cook just think it's worth recognising that the person picking the team sees a hell of a lot more of the players than we do.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 3:31pm; Reply: 57
Kiddy 1-0 down to Southport! What a score that would be!
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:31pm; Reply: 58
Kiddie losing 1-0 to Southpport
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:31pm; Reply: 59
Southport 1 up vs kiddy
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 3:33pm; Reply: 60
I don't mean match fit, I mean less pies fit. And I'm not anti-cook just think it's worth recognising that the person picking the team sees a hell of a lot more of the players than we do.

Thing is though, you'll never get match fit by sitting on the bench most games and training at cheapside all week
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 22, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 61
Jack Lester scores against Lincoln.  :)
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 62
Goid old Jack scores against the gimps
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:36pm; Reply: 63
As it stands were in the last playoff position 5th
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:37pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ackomariner

Thing is though, you'll never get match fit by sitting on the bench most games and training at cheapside all week

Yeah, try reading what I wrote again.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 65

You dont get it do you.

Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 66
McKeown makes a good save c'mon town keep pressing get that 2nd goal.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 3:42pm; Reply: 67
No jonnyboy, you're operating on a higher intellectual level to me and I simply can't cope.
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:42pm; Reply: 68
Tamworth equalise vs Macclesfield
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 3:44pm; Reply: 69
No jonnyboy, you're operating on a higher intellectual level to me and I simply can't cope.

Breakdown alert.
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 70
We love you Grimsby we do...   we love you Grimsby we do   we love you Grimsby we do ohhh Grimsby we love you!!!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 3:46pm; Reply: 71
Officials don't sound good.....
(I copy and paste this comment almost every week)
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 72
Yeah apparently town haven't had many decisions go there way.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 73
HT

Just keep a clean sheet second half Town and it'll be a very good 3 points
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 74
How we playing?  Are we matching them or are we on top?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 3:51pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from cmackenzie4
How we playing?  Are we matching them or are we on top?

Sounds as if they're just a physical big ball team who just hit it long and hard for them to get on the end of it and we're getting sucked in to playing the same way maybe - generally scrappy

But a moment of quality is what separates us so if all they have in their locker is what they've thrown at us in the first half we should be able to see it out

I'd like a second goal for us though otherwise it'll be a bit nervy later on in the game
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 22, 2014, 3:54pm; Reply: 76
First half story - great goal after good work from Neilson and Aswad on the left. LJL has been dire and as a team we're sitting far too deep and inviting too much pressure.
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 3:58pm; Reply: 77
We must be positive and go for a second as are I cant see us keeping a clean sheet.
Cook on for LJL would be a positive move.
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 78
Come on Town, lets keep going and keep a clean sheet.  Oh and another goal wouldn't do any harm to my saturday.

UTM
Posted by: BIGChris, March 22, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 79
Dont think we are SITTING too deep we are being forced back because we are giving away too many free kicks which allows them to launch it.

The one quality bit of football let to the goal
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:04pm; Reply: 80
498 town fans out of 1598 attendance.  brilliant following, well done to all the traveling Mariners.

UTM
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 4:07pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from BIGChris
Dont think we are SITTING too deep we are being forced back because we are giving away too many free kicks which allows them to launch it.

Mostly conceded by Aswad by the sound of it :-/
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:14pm; Reply: 82
There going to score aren't they or is it just Tondeur's commentary making it sound worse.
Surely if there pressing for an equaliser we should be able to catch them on the counter.
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:14pm; Reply: 83
Pearson with another bloody booking, too many - he needs to keep his mouth shut or he will cost us by the end of the season!

UTM
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:15pm; Reply: 84

I know what you wrote , but put it this way for you then,

He won't loose weight by not playing as much as others, will he?

So won't be match fit either  >:(
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 22, 2014, 4:15pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from RoboCod

Mostly conceded by Aswad by the sound of it :-/

Aswad's been one of our better performers so far
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:15pm; Reply: 86
Sounds like we're retreating and letting them take control

Maybe this big ball up to the Shop for him to hold on to isn't going to work in our favour given there's more than 30 minutes left still
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 4:16pm; Reply: 87
We must win its an ideal opportunity to take points of rival playoff team and keep the momentum going
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:19pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Meza
We must win its an ideal opportunity to take points of rival playoff team and keep the momentum going

Hope your right
Posted by: crusty ole pie, March 22, 2014, 4:21pm; Reply: 89
FFs hurst let's make some changes
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 4:21pm; Reply: 90
McDonald on for Bignot

game more open now
Posted by: Garth, March 22, 2014, 4:22pm; Reply: 91
Time to get a killer goal from Jennings now, in hindsight we could have done with Hatton on the bench
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:24pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from ackomariner

I know what you wrote , but put it this way for you then,

He won't loose weight by not playing as much as others, will he?

(

Are you serious? I think he needs to get in the gym and work on his upper body strength.
Posted by: Meza, March 22, 2014, 4:24pm; Reply: 93
Boyce can play fullback I believe
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:25pm; Reply: 94
Is it me or is this half going slow?

UTM
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:26pm; Reply: 95
Should add I think Cook's a decent player but could be a lot more effective if a bit stronger and fitter.
Posted by: Garth, March 22, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 96
This is getting nervy now ??)
Posted by: Tom13, March 22, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 97
Not Disley out wide again!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:32pm; Reply: 98
Nielson just going off with Thanoj to replace him - a bit of a defensive line up  :-/

Aswad at least is showing some attacking intent...just earned us a corner but it comes to nothing
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:36pm; Reply: 99
Need to get the ball up the other end, problem is The Shop's control or final ball is all too often poor!

UTM
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:36pm; Reply: 100
Sounds like their getting closer to getting something out of this game
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:37pm; Reply: 101
Why persist with LJL up there on his own, get Tounkara on he's supposed to be fast isnt he
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 102
Anyone know how long we've got left?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 22, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from marinette

Too bloody long!  ??)
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:40pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from marinette

7 mins
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 22, 2014, 4:40pm; Reply: 105
Just said 7 and a half minutes left.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:41pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from marinette

7 and a half mins plus stoppages

Going to be a nervy 10 minutes or so
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:42pm; Reply: 107
Can we hold on that long, & the refs bound to give them 4+ mins added time, sounds like Mckeown got to be MOM save after save
Posted by: Tom13, March 22, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 108
Tounkara booked despite not even coming on yet!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 109
Greg Pearson !!! But he's sh...I'm saying nothing :-/
Posted by: Tom13, March 22, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 110
Oh god, Greg Pearson has just come on for them - surely not?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:44pm; Reply: 111
Oh no...Greg Pearson just come on for them.

Let's hope that ex player thing doesn't come off today :-/
Posted by: Garth, March 22, 2014, 4:44pm; Reply: 112
Greg Pearson on oh oh
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:45pm; Reply: 113
Free header just missed by them...

Feels like it's coming  ??)
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 114
Lucky escape, come on town
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:47pm; Reply: 115
I don't think Nigel Lowther is a Shop fan given some of his comments :-/
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 116
Bring Cookie on and tell him to just hold the ball up!  Possession for the last couple of minutes please!

UTM
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I don't think Nigel Lowther is a Shop fan given some of his comments :-/

Same goes for Rodman and Neilson, going on the commentary. All been frustratingly poor with little bursts of quality.
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 118
You get your wish
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 119
Cook coming on....Shop off

Now I'd say it might be just a bit too late to have any impact but maybe I'm being too "glass half empty" about his chances to shine
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 4:50pm; Reply: 120
Thanks timekeepers.

Hang on Town.   :o
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 4:51pm; Reply: 121
Gonna be some bruises in the morning :-/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 122
Just wish we could keep hold of the ball.....one more minute and we're over the line
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:53pm; Reply: 123
Well done to the fans, sounds great
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 4:53pm; Reply: 124
Great support from our fans.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 22, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 125
Wow....finally over. Phewww

More relieved than jubilant to be honest but guess that's it - job done

3 points to the Mariners! :)
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 126
And breathe!
Posted by: ackomariner, March 22, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 127
Well done town
Posted by: Garth, March 22, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 128
Thats it good win Town!
Posted by: MrsMariner, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 129
OMG a clean sheet, well done Town.
3 points from 2 difficult away games, better than drawing them both which most of us would have settled for at the start of the week.
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 130
Phwoar - well done Town!  
Posted by: KK_DOG, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 131
That's a very good 3 points, never mind about the performance.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 132
Phew....3 points at a very awkward place against a team above us in the table. Scruffy game, poor mostly but great 3 points.
Posted by: chaos33, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 133
Well I don't understand the selections, the performance sounds ragged with lots of the usual shortcomings, but that is a massive 3 points!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 22, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 134
Someone said it is better to win and lose rather than drawing games.  That is what we are doing.

Well done.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 4:56pm; Reply: 135
Brilliant result in a tricky game. Clean sheet, 3 points, Mcdonald back, up to 5th - not a bad day at all.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 22, 2014, 4:56pm; Reply: 136
Everyting looks brighter! Come on!!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 22, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 137
Great result with a poor performance.

We will take the points , very weird game.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), March 22, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 138
In the play-off spots. Lets hope we can stay there, UTM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 22, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 139
Brilliant....brilliant......brilliant.......

Well done town
Posted by: ginnywings, March 22, 2014, 4:58pm; Reply: 140
Thank God for that. Don't know how we won that but 3 points is 3 points.

Another game without a striker scoring for us and the usual not being able to look after the ball, but the table looks a lot better tonight and that's all that counts right now.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 5:01pm; Reply: 141
Sounded like they had a lot of the ball but they didn't seem to create loads - 3 shots on target according to the BBC. JT always makes it sound edgier than it is.
Posted by: grimsbyjack, March 22, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 142
A great result away from home.
3 pts in the bag.(clap2)

Onwards and Upwards.
UTM!!
Posted by: KK_DOG, March 22, 2014, 5:03pm; Reply: 143
Now in the play off spot. All we have to do now is stop there  :)
Posted by: gobby, March 22, 2014, 5:03pm; Reply: 144
Need to keep Boyce as Pearson will be suspended for 3 games when he gets 2 more cautions. 3 points on the board, that will do. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2014, 5:07pm; Reply: 145
Just got in and managed to listen to the last 25 minutes on Humberside, Sounded a bit scrappy but a wins a win, Roll on Tuesday!

Great support by the fans - nearly 500 is absolutely brilliant, well done to all!
Posted by: Grimal, March 22, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 146
Well done Town,great scrap all the way,didn't sound pretty but a win is a win. Lets give the manager a bit of credit with his team selection.Fantastic support from the Towns travelling fans,they are like an extra player. Sounds like the ref was shite,once again,didn't sound like he gave us a lot. 3 more points on Tuesday would be brill. UTM.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 22, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 147
A very rare 3 points against a part time side. First time we have EVER beaten them, even if we had to spend 82 minutes defending a 1-0 lead.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 22, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 148
On a positive note, we have gone from 50 to 60 points far quicker than we did from 40 to 50.
Posted by: chaos33, March 22, 2014, 5:13pm; Reply: 149
Fortunate for Hurst that we won because I think there would have been a lot of anger and confusion over selections. I imagine there are one or two very unhappy players.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2014, 5:13pm; Reply: 150
You would hope this will give us confidence going into Tuesdays game, I will be at the Luton game too, Looking forward to it.

UTM
Posted by: Caesar, March 22, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 151
We are actually in the playoffs! Thrilled we have managed to hold in today and hope all those eager to jump on or poor form can give some credit to an important victory. Still have concerns about our lack of goals and form but we are in a good position going into Tuesday and lets back the team! UTM indeed!
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 22, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 152
Great result and in the play offs,

Bring on Luton !!!!!!!!!1
Posted by: GrimRob, March 22, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from ginnywings
On a positive note, we have gone from 50 to 60 points far quicker than we did from 40 to 50.

0-60 in 7 months
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 22, 2014, 5:31pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from chaos33
Fortunate for Hurst that we won because I think there would have been a lot of anger and confusion over selections. I imagine there are one or two very unhappy players.

He has a pretty thankless task really; when we lose or draw his ability to do the job is questioned and some label him incompetent or worse but when we win he's fortunate.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 22, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 155
We are 6th in the current form table.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=5

everyone drops points, every single one dropped can be treated as a terminal disaster sometimes, but the reality is we are plodding along tucked behind the leaders with a few laps to go and plenty left in the tank
Posted by: marinette, March 22, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 156
I've been a bit uncertain about Rodders this season, but that was a crucial, crucial goal, so very well done to him.  Just been having a sneaky look at Rob's breadwinners table, and for those players who have made over 20 appearances, Sam Hatton (!) seems to be doing very well  - why does his name keep cropping up continuously all of a sudden?  Rodders is also doing well.  So glad he played today.

Also well done to the Town fans for their absolutely crucial backing of the team today  - you were coming across loud and clear on the radio, and I'm sure you played a large part in dragging our players over the finishing line without conceding.  Now that's what I call support, and it makes me proud!   :)
Posted by: GrimRob, March 22, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from marinette
I've been a bit uncertain about Rodders this season, but that was a crucial, crucial goal, so very well done to him.  Just been having a sneaky look at Rob's breadwinners table, and for those players who have made over 20 appearances, Sam Hatton (!) seems to be doing very well  - why does his name keep cropping up continuously all of a sudden?  Rodders is also doing well.  So glad he played today.

Thanoj doing well too, although he hasn't made 20 yet

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8502461
Posted by: bobbyturtle, March 22, 2014, 5:55pm; Reply: 158
Well done, a valuable win.

The fans sounded ace on the radio.
Utm
Posted by: Badger57, March 22, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 159
Sounded like another poor performance though. Of course I want Town to  do well and I want them back where I think our "natural position in the order of things" should be, which is hovering between the first and second divisions of the football league. (Yes, I fully accept that we are where we are and we have no right whatsoever to be where I'd like us to be!) On the other hand, I don't think I'm ever going to be won over by Hurst so I don't want us to fluke promotion from a urine poor league which we should be dominating for the most part, and then being stuck with a negative thinking manager who provides boring hoofball football when I actually think these players are quite capable of playing much much better and in the "right" way. Personally, I'd LOVE Sir Alan back in some capacity to get us playing proper attractive football again. Not as happy as I should be after a very important victory!!!  
Posted by: Caesar, March 22, 2014, 6:09pm; Reply: 160

He has a pretty thankless task really; when we lose or draw his ability to do the job is questioned and some label him incompetent or worse but when we win he's fortunate.

Spot on! It is always Hurst's fault for being a useless tactician, and today is just Hurst getting lucky with his useless tactics.  But even with that and our poor run of form we are 5th with still some games in hand! On that basis he is either very lucky or not quite as bad as is made out. There are still issues to be dealt with but some should not be so keen to jump on him every time we have a poor result!
Posted by: chaos33, March 22, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 161

Jeez, I didn't say he was fortunate to win did I. The point was - if we'd lost or drawn that game he would have been given a lot of stick for the changes he made to the team. Because we won the game, he probably won't have to face that lashing. Ok?
Posted by: easypeersy, March 22, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 162
I could only tell what was going on by BBC text and it looked exceptionally unconvincing against a team of part timers. However we deserved to win last Tuesday so I would say what goes around comes around. Nice to beat Nuneaton for a change! Would be amazed if we beat Luton but whatever happens it'll be a great atmosphere. From then on we have a run of easy on paper games right to the end of the season so should be in the mix. Then... A complete lottery!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 22, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from easypeersy
I could only tell what was going on by BBC text and it looked exceptionally unconvincing against a team of part timers. However we deserved to win last Tuesday so I would say what goes around comes around. Nice to beat Nuneaton for a change! Would be amazed if we beat Luton but whatever happens it'll be a great atmosphere. From then on we have a run of easy on paper games right to the end of the season so should be in the mix. Then... A complete lottery!

A team of part timers 4th in the table with 61 points and above us! I'll give Hursty some credit today, our record against them is awful, they're big and physical and how many times has that been our undoing? I'll win ugly against these teams and be delighted, no moaning from me,it's how we set out against Luton that will be interesting because they play better football and we're more than capable of matching them.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 22, 2014, 6:56pm; Reply: 164
I know we won and I don't know anything about what happened in the game because I was at work, but I still feel a bit annoyed that he took thanoj out the team but left disley in, thanoj seemed to be really coming good last few games, some really nice passes, finally looked ready. Even if disley did ok today, just irritates me that we have someone in our team who's guaranteed a place no matter what.
Posted by: nightrider, March 22, 2014, 7:03pm; Reply: 165
A great 3 points. That's the only positive I can take from the game. I can't remember us playing so poorly and winning.
Whatever you think of the manager, he must be on borrowed time - only promotion can save him.
Rodmans goal was a nice strike. He does quite well when presented with a chance.
Posted by: monkeyboy, March 22, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 166
the most confusing selection for me is disley, why on earth he is starting is beyong me, not the player he was and now reminds me of jamie clarke. lets be honest he's been gash all season. thanoj and kerr for me but we need someone in the centre mid better than the ginger bloke.!
Posted by: petethemariner, March 22, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 167
Very important win, but sounded like a real struggle, i think the thing that disappoints a lot of
fans is that we rarely totally dominate games and the inability to dominate opponents usually
comes back to haunt you in the important games (eg Newport in the play offs). We really need
to start keeping the ball better, moving opponents around and cutting out the often
unnecessary hoofball to LJL, because that usually results in possession lost.
Hurst has done OK, but his tactics and team selection do baffle and disenchant a lot of fans,
none of us will care if we get back into the FL playing that way, but  either way ,FL or conference,
we still need to look at fresh tactics and ideas for next season IMHO.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, March 22, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 168
Id assume the reason Disley started instead of Thanoj is that he is more physical and Thanoj has gone hiding in more physical games in the past. Don't get me wrong I think Thanoj deserves a run in the side, but I can see the nanager's reasoning.

Anyway, irrespective of performance a great result!
Posted by: BIGChris, March 23, 2014, 2:14pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from monkeyboy
the most confusing selection for me is disley, why on earth he is starting is beyong me, .!

I think it is quite easy to see why he is starting, 10 goals.
Posted by: Alfie, March 23, 2014, 2:26pm; Reply: 170
Disley is the new Stuart Campbell. So underrated.

One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.
Posted by: Mariners_15, March 23, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from BIGChris

I think it is quite easy to see why he is starting, 10 goals.

Yes he has scored goals this season but anyone who has been to a fair few games this season will admit he's been poor and a shadow of the player he's been for us the previous 2 seasons. That't not being harsh on Diz either as I swear I saw an article not long ago where he admitted he hasn't been at his best this season (or something along those lines). Along with LJL though he seems undroppable for some reason? Kerr and Thanoj on Tuesday for me, Thanoj IMO can feel hard done by being dropped yesterday...he has been one of our best players in the past few weeks despite missing some key chances.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 23, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from Mariners_15

Yes he has scored goals this season but anyone who has been to a fair few games this season will admit he's been poor and a shadow of the player he's been for us the previous 2 seasons. That't not being harsh on Diz either as I swear I saw an article not long ago where he admitted he hasn't been at his best this season (or something along those lines). Along with LJL though he seems undroppable for some reason? Kerr and Thanoj on Tuesday for me, Thanoj IMO can feel hard done by being dropped yesterday...he has been one of our best players in the past few weeks despite missing some key chances.

Chance have come his way I admit but I'm not sure he's missed any sitters though...there was a volley I remember that he might have done better with if he'd taken it down and been more composed and then another opportunity in the same game when he side-footed the ball instead of going for power and putting his foot through the ball

Easy for me to say I guess but he might have done better with both of those but his "misses" were nowhere near as bad as some of those that the Shop and Disley failed to put away in recent games

I too would like to see him back in again for another chance because once again all this start a couple of games and then not figure can't help with his development - but on the flip side he's not a junior any more so when he does get the chance maybe he should sieze it and make sure he can't be the one to be dropped again
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 23, 2014, 3:36pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from Alfie
Disley is the new Stuart Campbell. So underrated.

One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Agreed. Only have to see how we miss him when he's not there to see what he brings.
Posted by: ackomariner, March 23, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 174

Agreed. Only have to see how we miss him when he's not there to see what he brings.

But not playing on the left anymore please. Play him where he can hurt teams, but yes he would always be in my team
Posted by: Neilo83, March 23, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 175
We had a flare in our end yesterday?
Posted by: barralad, March 23, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from Neilo83
We had a flare in our end yesterday?

Yeah we did-a blue one! Dead clever seeing as they play in blue :)
Posted by: chicaneuk, March 23, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from monkeyboy
the most confusing selection for me is disley, why on earth he is starting is beyong me, not the player he was and now reminds me of jamie clarke. lets be honest he's been gash all season. thanoj and kerr for me but we need someone in the centre mid better than the ginger bloke.!

Really not sure what's happened to Disley lately. Even he knows it, judging by his recent interview on Radio Humberside. His form has really tailed off. That said though I do still agree with some of the above posts - he's a real workhorse and would definitely still be a first choice for me.

Quoted from barralad

Yeah we did-a blue one! Dead clever seeing as they play in blue :)

Think they let off three blue flares (well, smoke bombs) all told. Did seem a bit daft given it matched the Nuneaton shirt colours! :)
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:22am