Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 5, 2014, 2:07pm
Huddersfield v Charlton or Oxford

What might have been eh? :-/

Oh well - we move on

Onwards and upwards

UTM
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 5, 2014, 2:19pm; Reply: 1
5 FA Cup home draws on the bounce... kinda amazing luck that would have been.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 5, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 2
Who do you want to win now? I'm with Forest, a team I briefly supported in my distant Uni days!
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, January 5, 2014, 2:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GrimRob
Who do you want to win now? I'm with Forest, a team I briefly supported in my distant Uni days!

Huddersfield. Least we can say we lost to the winners then ;-)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 5, 2014, 2:35pm; Reply: 4
Not really bothered who wins, would be nice if a non premier league team won it.  It's more interesting to me before the final watching the lower league teams trying to do a giant killing.

Interesting >> [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup#Winners_from_outside_the_top_division]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup#Winners_from_outside_the_top_division[/url]
Quoted Text
Since the foundation of the Football League, Tottenham Hotspur in 1901 have been the only non-league winners of the FA Cup. They were then playing in the Southern League and were elected to the Football League only in 1908. At that time the Football League consisted of two 18-team divisions.

In the history of the FA Cup, only eight teams who were playing outside the top level of English football have gone on to win the competition, the most recent being West Ham United, who beat Arsenal in 1980. With the exception of Tottenham in 1901, these clubs were all playing in the old Second Division. No other Third Division or lower side has won the trophy or even reached the final since the Football League was founded.

One of the most notable upsets in the final occurred when Sunderland beat Leeds United 1–0 in 1973. That season, Leeds finished third in the First Division, while Sunderland were in the Second Division. Three years later, Second Division Southampton also won the Cup, when they beat First Division Manchester United by the same 1–0 scoreline. The other Second Division winners of the FA Cup are Notts County in 1894; Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1908; Barnsley in 1912; and West Bromwich Albion in 1931. West Bromwich Albion are the only team to have won the FA Cup and promotion from the Second Division in the same season.

The FA Cup final has never been contested by two teams from outside the top division. Uniquely, in 2007–08 three of the four semi-finalists (Barnsley, Cardiff City and West Bromwich Albion), were from outside the top division, although the single Premier League team remaining, Portsmouth, went on to win the competition that year.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 5, 2014, 3:01pm; Reply: 5
A shit Premier League team won it last time, which is nearly the same thing!
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 5, 2014, 4:36pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19
A shit Premier League team won it last time, which is nearly the same thing!

A excrement Premier team who now ARE a non-premier team.  ;D
Posted by: marinerian, January 5, 2014, 5:06pm; Reply: 7
Delighted. Said to a bloke next  to me, I hope they get a excrement tie like Charlton,though I did say away :-D
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 5, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 8
Remember the prize money though, we would have got £67K if we had won yesterday, plus gate receipts from next round which would have been useful. Still league results went our way plus Kiddi got replay and had their new years day game called off. Lets hope we can get all players back fit and consolidate our play off spot.

If weather does not intervene think we will have a good idea where our fortunes lie by the end of this month.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 5, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 9
We would not have got Man United anyway.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 5, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 10
We did better than Man Utd, at least we were winning most of our tie. Bristol Rovers/Crawley must have expected to get Man Utd now they get Swansea instead.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 5, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 11
How gutting would it have been to draw Man Utd or Swansea away and then have that happen?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 5, 2014, 7:29pm; Reply: 12
Not one outstanding match in R4,

We should have a few lower placed teams in the 5th round.

A great chance for some to get to the Quarter or semi finals,

Pity it will not be us.  :-/
Posted by: Abdul19, January 5, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 13
Man U going out is one in the eye for ITV and BT Sport. I'm guessing they'll have to make do with:

Stevenage v Everton
Bournemouth/Burton v Liverpool
erm, and 2 others. How about the Phil Brown derby?!
Posted by: Meza, January 5, 2014, 7:57pm; Reply: 14
Alex Fergusons worst signing

David Moyes haha
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 5, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 15
I wonder how long Moyes's job will be safe for?
Posted by: GrimRob, January 5, 2014, 8:32pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Sunderland v Man Utd and Man City v West Ham this week in the League Cup. Man Utd and West Ham could both lose their managers if results go the wrong way. Then they'll all appoint someone who has just been sacked by another club.  :)
Posted by: mariner91, January 5, 2014, 8:33pm; Reply: 17
I can't believe that somewhere at Old Trafford there aren't people now having private conversations wondering if they've made a massive mistake.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 5, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from mariner91
I can't believe that somewhere at Old Trafford there aren't people now having private conversations wondering if they've made a massive mistake.

Is it that massive? Semi finals of the league cup, doing well in the Champions League and certainly not out of a top 4 finish (or qualify by winning the CL as Chelsea had to). Plus loads of injuries and hardly signed a "Moyes" player - and let's face it the squad Fergie left was probably  one of his worst. Quite a few home defeat but there are legions of fans willing to go to home games so it's not costing them anything in gate receipts.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 5, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91

[img]https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1005388_696059243758990_1705883083_n.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Abdul19, January 5, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

Is it that massive? Semi finals of the league cup, doing well in the Champions League and certainly not out of a top 4 finish (or qualify by winning the CL as Chelsea had to). Plus loads of injuries and hardly signed a "Moyes" player - and let's face it the squad Fergie left was probably  one of his worst. Quite a few home defeat but there are legions of fans willing to go to home games so it's not costing them anything in gate receipts.

I keep hearing it was a bad squad, but it was a squad that won the league by 10+ points. Moyes spent all summer signing no-one until he panicked and bought Fellaini for an inflated sum at 23.59 on the last day of the window.

It's also amusing to see Everton doing so well (and playing attacking football)
Posted by: alvinghammariner, January 5, 2014, 10:55pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Abdul19

I keep hearing it was a bad squad, but it was a squad that won the league by 10+ points. Moyes spent all summer signing no-one until he panicked and bought Fellaini for an inflated sum at 23.59 on the last day of the window.

It's also amusing to see Everton doing so well (and playing attacking football)

I think players like Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra are starting to show their age, declining rapidly.
Posted by: mariner91, January 5, 2014, 11:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob

I think it is pretty massive. In the space of six months of Fergie retiring Old Trafford is no longer somewhere to be feared and they have lost that aura of invincibility about them. The squad he has inherited isn't very good but it did win the league quite easily last season so it can't be as poor as it has seemed all season. They aren't' out of a top 4 finish but they haven't really played well in any game yet this season so I think it is unlikely they'll make the top 4. As for having hardly any Moyes players, I'd suggest that's a blessing judging by the inflated price he paid for Fellaini and I'm not even sure Fellaini's best position is CM. He had all summer to buy players, everyone knew that their midfield needed strengthening but he did nothing of note.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 6, 2014, 10:28am; Reply: 23
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Until Fergie decides to come out of retirement . ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2014, 10:46am; Reply: 24
David Moyes will be given time, just as Fergie was when he first went to Man Utd and struggled.

The difference is that Fergie had proved what a good manager he was by taking unfashionable Aberdeen all the way to European success and broke the Celtic Rangers dominance in Scotland. No mean feat.

Moyes on the other hand has won nothing and in 11 years at Everton, never once beat any of the top four on their own patch in over 40 attempts. I think he's over rated and a bad choice but time will tell.
Posted by: mariner91, January 6, 2014, 10:50am; Reply: 25
Quoted from ginnywings
David Moyes will be given time, just as Fergie was when he first went to Man Utd and struggled.

The difference is that Fergie had proved what a good manager he was by taking unfashionable Aberdeen all the way to European success and broke the Celtic Rangers dominance in Scotland. No mean feat.

Moyes on the other hand has won nothing and in 11 years at Everton, never once beat any of the top four on their own patch in over 40 attempts. I think he's over rated and a bad choice but time will tell.

I reckon Fergie nominated Moyes purely on the basis that he's a Glaswegian. It's not as though his record is fantastic, no trophies in 10 years at Everton is pretty poor, they're not what you'd call a "small" club like Wigan who managed an FA cup win in that time.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91

I reckon Fergie nominated Moyes purely on the basis that he's a Glaswegian. It's not as though his record is fantastic, no trophies in 10 years at Everton is pretty poor, they're not what you'd call a "small" club like Wigan who managed an FA cup win in that time.

Yeah, it's ironic that Martinez, who managed Wigan to a cup win is now at Everton and looks like he has taken them up a notch from where Moyes left them.

I think Utd should have gone for one of the more progressive thinking foreign managers. A club of their size and stature could have had their pick of Europes elite but stuck to the dour Scotsman model.

As successful as Fergie was, should he have been allowed to pick his successor?
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:25pm