Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 6, 2013, 10:31am
Left the club. On the O.S now.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 6, 2013, 10:34am; Reply: 1
Hell, that was out of the blue! I know there's always tittle-tattle on here regarding Scott in particular, I guess the slow easing him out of interviews and the like of recent weeks had something a bit more to it.
Just wonder how this leaves the two as a duo? I'd have thought they came as a package.
Not sure what to make of it, it's surely a bust up or Fenty's patience has been eroding for a while now and somethings had to give.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 6, 2013, 10:39am; Reply: 2
Can't say I'm disappointed . Bye bye nutbar .
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 6, 2013, 10:43am; Reply: 3
Given that him and Hurst do everything together I can't see Paul remaining in charge on his own for too long (unless the two of them have fallen out?).

Jesus, can we just have one nice season without a flipping implosion for once?
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 6, 2013, 10:44am; Reply: 4
I don't think Fenty is to blame this time. Maybe he has just got bored of the fan at the club slagging him off for showing that he cares although alot of the time it was unprofessionalin the manner he displayed his emotions. I honestly thought we were going to turn it around and it didn't take that much to do. The last thing we needed was change in September and now we have got it. UTM...
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 6, 2013, 10:44am; Reply: 5
I wonder if hurst is strong enough for the job, can't say am too surprised thought Scott had become a bit of a loose cannon lately
Posted by: forza ivano, September 6, 2013, 10:52am; Reply: 6
total guesswork here - scott and hurst have grown apart ; possibly now had  a fundamental disagreement over tactics etc and scott ,having throughly piissed off everybody at the club, was the man that fenty chose to get rid of.
sounds like hurst has been consulted and presumably wants to give it a go.
further guessing that he'll bring in someone to be his assistant
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 6, 2013, 10:54am; Reply: 7
Just heard about this myself

First thing I assumed is a bust up with the board (ok the majority share holder) but then again it might be a falling out with Hurst

Doubt if it were the latter though that you'd leave your job, especially as Scott's not the type to back down in an argument  :-/
Posted by: RoboCod, September 6, 2013, 10:55am; Reply: 8
I'd say Scott has been dismissed and Hurst is contractually obliged to take the next game or two, failure to do so would mean he's resigned which leaves him without a claim for compo.
I really think Hurst will leave within the next 2-3 games and rejoin Scott. Which would leave us looking through the CV's again. And Gary Mills just joined Gateshead :-/
Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 10:58am; Reply: 9
Not surprised, I posted this on Just Back 5 days ago, regarding one of my earlier posts, seems to me that the guy had more mouth than sense and it seems that my so called yes man was not

I predicted about four weeks ago that RS would go before Christmas leaving Hurst to manage on his own if he required, I can`t see anything yet that would change this way of thinking, one tries to manage the other one bullys.

If twin management is so successful every team would be at it, truth is with two of them every decision turns into a committee meeting, what we need is a leader at the helm not a dictator and his yes man
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 11:00am; Reply: 10
I would like to see a hurst give it a go riding solo!! But as other state think he will leave in a few weeks time. The players really need to pull together and show everyone they want to succeed with Hurst!!!

Can't say I'm too fussed about RS going if I'm honest, seems like he tried to dictate too much and finally snapped.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 6, 2013, 11:01am; Reply: 11
Very shocked by this, Especially with it being so soon, Would love to know what has actually happened.
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 11:02am; Reply: 12
Agreed CM, the club shouldn't put what they did out in the public domain without a reasonable explanation to go alongside it. Once again Poor PR in my opinion.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 6, 2013, 11:02am; Reply: 13
Quoted from topuphere666
I would like to see a hurst give it a go riding solo!! But as other state think he will leave in a few weeks time. The players really need to pull together and show everyone they want to succeed with Hurst!!!

Can't say I'm too fussed about RS going if I'm honest, seems like he tried to dictate too much and finally snapped.

Agree with that. Never warmed to Scott or his methods but the timing isn't great and we are back to square 1 and rebuilding etc if the little one leaves as well.
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 11:04am; Reply: 14
Time for Buckey mk viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Ironically - Slade won manager of the month today!!! ;-)
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 6, 2013, 11:06am; Reply: 15
Apart from being shocked I don't really have any other feeling about this news.

Could this be as a result of what happened on the side lines against Nuneaton?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 6, 2013, 11:07am; Reply: 16
Who would want Buckley back?
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 11:09am; Reply: 17
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Big no no from me. Way too much time out the game! Things have changed too much.
Posted by: Neilo83, September 6, 2013, 11:09am; Reply: 18
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I'd be happy of he came back. I think he'd get this inherited team playing some cracking football..
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 6, 2013, 11:10am; Reply: 19
Quoted from cmackenzie4

My heart shouts YES but my mind says can we have him on the interview board vetting possible new managers should Hurst go or if Hurst is only managing until we find someone.
Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 11:11am; Reply: 20
Is AB still involved with the club as earlier reported?
Posted by: forza ivano, September 6, 2013, 11:12am; Reply: 21
i think hurst will give it a go alone and bring in someone to be his assistant.

mind you i'm feckin useless at predicting stuff, so put your money on hurst leaving next week!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 6, 2013, 11:13am; Reply: 22
Should think Doig will be assistant or Moore for the time being.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 6, 2013, 11:13am; Reply: 23
I have a few die hard mariners fans who are good friends of mine and they swear by him and would love him back. I don't know if i would if i am honest!  There is no doubting his knowledge of football but like the above poster said things have changed since Alan was in the game.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 6, 2013, 11:16am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Marinerz93
Apart from being shocked I don't really have any other feeling about this news.

Could this be as a result of what happened on the side lines against Nuneaton?

I do feel that incident was the last straw. Apart from being embarrassing it shows a manager more concerned with the oppositions bench and what they're saying than the problems on the pitch (of which there were MANY)
Posted by: mariner91, September 6, 2013, 11:22am; Reply: 25
I think Hurst will give it a go solo. He has, in my opinion, always seemed the more sensible of the two and perhaps Scott leaving was due to Hurst becoming sick of him and Fenty deciding he'd rather keep Hurst than Scott? Pure guesswork but I reckon I'd have got sick of working with RS after about a fortnight.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 6, 2013, 11:23am; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91
I think Hurst will give it a go solo. He has, in my opinion, always seemed the more sensible of the two and perhaps Scott leaving was due to Hurst becoming sick of him and Fenty deciding he'd rather keep Hurst than Scott? Pure guesswork but I reckon I'd have got sick of working with RS after about a fortnight.

sums up my thoughts exactly
Posted by: psgmariner, September 6, 2013, 11:24am; Reply: 27
A week earlier and we could have got Mills. We have half his York squad here so he would have been ideal.
Posted by: mariner91, September 6, 2013, 11:26am; Reply: 28
Quoted from psgmariner
A week earlier and we could have got Mills. We have half his York squad here so he would have been ideal.

We still have a manager. For now.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, September 6, 2013, 11:29am; Reply: 29
Am I missing something? What happened on the touchline vs Nuneaton?
Posted by: RoboCod, September 6, 2013, 11:30am; Reply: 30
Quoted from psgmariner

Of course Fenty could always whip the chequebook out and poach lure Mr Mills away :) As you say, half his team are here and Towns setup and footballing pedigree suit his background, pity he couldn't hold on for a week or so.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 6, 2013, 11:36am; Reply: 31
We might be crap, but it's never dull supporting THE TOWN.

We'll never know the real reason he's gone, just like so many others, only us long suffering fans remain year in, year out and some of us are thinking of leaving!
Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2013, 11:36am; Reply: 32
WOW, was not expected, more concerned now about wtf do we do- goodness knows what has happened- dont like scott but i am concerned about what is going to happen next
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 11:44am; Reply: 33
Did he offer out someone on their bench ?
Posted by: mariner91, September 6, 2013, 11:46am; Reply: 34
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Did he offer out someone on their bench ?

That was a weekly occurrence wasn't it?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 11:53am; Reply: 35
I heard tondeur say on radio ull that he was offering someone outside, i wasnt there so cant confirm tbh
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 6, 2013, 12:13pm; Reply: 36
I heard tondeur say on radio ull that he was offering someone outside, i wasnt there so cant confirm tbh

As he would have been commentating, I guess it wasn't Tondeur himself then who was offered out?  ;)

Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 12:14pm; Reply: 37
[quote=353]Did he offer out someone on their bench ?[/quote

Apparently when they refused, he then offered the bench out, you can`t run a club like that
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 12:17pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

As he would have been commentating, I guess it wasn't Tondeur himself then who was offered out?  ;)

Someone on nuneatons bench , a player a coach ill tweet jt and get him to clarify this (sheep)
Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 12:21pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano
i think hurst will give it a go alone and bring in someone to be his assistant.

mind you i'm feckin useless at predicting stuff, so put your money on hurst leaving next week!

I think if its a case of loyalty between the two or a [i]secure[/i] job with a team he had a lot to do with picking, he would be foolish not to carry on, afterall how easy is it to get another job with a similar club, applying as a twosome
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, September 6, 2013, 12:23pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from cmackenzie4

No way! He had his time and his last spell proved utterly fruitless, it showed how clueless he was about his knowledge of players at the time, the majority of players he brought in weren't great and if he hadn't of gone Im sure we would have ended up going down with him at some point. I love the guy for what he did for us in his first and second spells but there is no way we could appoint him again and expect him to lead us up. The game has changed too much for Mr Buckley.
Posted by: alvinghammariner, September 6, 2013, 12:30pm; Reply: 41
The merry go round continues! Not surprised by the Buckley suggestions, even though it would be utterly ridiculous
Posted by: DavidB, September 6, 2013, 12:32pm; Reply: 42
Intrigue rules!

Interesting to hear what will be revealed in due course, both officially by the Club and on the grapevine (who on the 'new Fishy' has an inside link?). Being patient for news isn't easy though - hence the rush to speculate!

There's various posts about possible new managers....but at the moment we still have one!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 6, 2013, 12:35pm; Reply: 43
I guess contractually now Scott has gone, Town would need to go through the process of making a "new" managerial appointment

Scott might well want Hurst to go with him at some stage but if the latter intends to stay and be a candidate in his own right, do you think that when interviews are being arranged, he'd go straight on to the short list?  ;)
Posted by: Meza, September 6, 2013, 1:08pm; Reply: 44
I heard Scott will be back as Pauls assistant haha
Posted by: GrimRob, September 6, 2013, 1:15pm; Reply: 45
Hope we get someone to assist Hurst who knows his stuff at this level rather than someone like Macca who mainly played in much higher divisions and some time ago. Be gutted if we get rid of Hurst as well, you might as well forget about the next two years.
Posted by: Alfie, September 6, 2013, 1:18pm; Reply: 46
Crass bullyboy.
Novelty of his petulance wore off big time over the past six months. Obviously he's done something particuarly unsavory this time.

Really not bothered about keeping the stumpy one either tbh. Reckon he'll struggle to 'keep' the dressing room over this. Far too big of a change. Bit of a Judas thing to do to his mate as well.

Clean slate please.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 6, 2013, 1:38pm; Reply: 47
If Hurst is in sole charge then that might suggest a disagreement between the pair especially as Hurst has been doing most if not all of the Telewag interviews for the past week or more. Possibly the spat with Tondeur has something to do with it as well.

I think it's a pity it hasn't worked out but we will never know the full story. It always seemed to me that RS was trying to be a bit of a Cloughie but the only definite similarity is the mouth. It's understandable that they sat down after last year and looked at the York example but it was a big mistake. The one factor in their favour for most of last year was team spirit and that looks to be lacking in players who don't really look sure about what they are meant to be doing. We shall see which one really wanted 4-3-3 in tomorrow's team selection, won't we?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 6, 2013, 1:42pm; Reply: 48
Did it go to a boardroom vote? How did the two Trust member vote?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 6, 2013, 1:44pm; Reply: 49
If Hurst is in sole charge then that might suggest a disagreement between the pair especially as Hurst has been doing most if not all of the Telewag interviews for the past week or more. Possibly the spat with Tondeur has something to do with it as well.

I think it's a pity it hasn't worked out but we will never know the full story. It always seemed to me that RS was trying to be a bit of a Cloughie but the only definite similarity is the mouth. It's understandable that they sat down after last year and looked at the York example but it was a big mistake. The one factor in their favour for most of last year was team spirit and that looks to be lacking in players who don't really look sure about what they are meant to be doing. We shall see which one really wanted 4-3-3 in tomorrow's team selection, won't we?

OS just states :

Paul Hurst will take sole charge of team matters at this time.

The club will make a further statement in due course.

Read more at http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-1039140.aspx#W7JcHvLkGCE0WVsV.99

Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out...if anything ever does?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 1:52pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob
Did it go to a boardroom vote? How did the two Trust member vote?

I think the trust would have voted to have a vote
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 6, 2013, 1:57pm; Reply: 51
I think Hurst will stay for a while then we will appoint a  new manager,

Hurst has no option but to stay because he will lose his payoff if he walks out,

I would not mind him having a few games by himself  to see what happens,

He might even get the job full time as long as he does not insist that his assistant is Rob Scott. ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 6, 2013, 1:58pm; Reply: 52
Somebody says in the GT that Scott is going to Gillingham? True or not?
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 2:03pm; Reply: 53
I'd say keep Shorty as manager and get Buckley in as Director of Football.
Posted by: Tommy, September 6, 2013, 2:05pm; Reply: 54
He hasn't left the club.

Fenty saying on Telegraph website that there discussions now ongoing as to how we progress. And nowhere does it say Scott has left GTFC. Possibly suspended pending a decision or further action???
Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2013, 2:07pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Tommy
He hasn't left the club.

Fenty saying on Telegraph website that there discussions now ongoing as to how we progress. And nowhere does it say Scott has left GTFC. Possibly suspended pending a decision or further action???

gardening leave maybe?
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 2:10pm; Reply: 56
Gillingham rumours seem to be steam rolling on twitter!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 6, 2013, 2:16pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Alfie
Crass bullyboy.
Novelty of his petulance wore off big time over the past six months. Obviously he's done something particuarly unsavory this time.

Really not bothered about keeping the stumpy one either tbh. Reckon he'll struggle to 'keep' the dressing room over this. Far too big of a change. Bit of a Judas thing to do to his mate as well.

Clean slate please.

A bit previous is that Alfie. Don't you think we should wait to find out exactly what's gone on before making statements like that?

Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 2:17pm; Reply: 58
What's this about Gillingham?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2013, 2:21pm; Reply: 59
tondour on twitter saying adam smith YT coach has gone too!
Posted by: RoboCod, September 6, 2013, 2:22pm; Reply: 60
If Scott is still at the club then Town need to clarify it and post another update for the fans AND the press: Currently on the BBC footy site;
"Paul Hurst takes sole charge as Rob Scott departs"
Posted by: Neilo83, September 6, 2013, 2:23pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Hagrid
tondour on twitter saying adam smith YT coach has gone too!

Not related to rob Scott leaving tho.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2013, 2:44pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Neilo83

bit of a big coincedince then! but sorry if that is what it said- was just a quick glance
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 6, 2013, 2:46pm; Reply: 63
And on sky sports news!

So it must be right
Posted by: Tommy, September 6, 2013, 2:51pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from RoboCod
If Scott is still at the club then Town need to clarify it and post another update for the fans AND the press: Currently on the BBC footy site;
"Paul Hurst takes sole charge as Rob Scott departs"

Think that's more a case of Radio Humberside jumping to a (perhaps reasonable) conclusion from the info posted on the town website. Think they've just assumed RS has left and reported it as such.

As BigChris said on the other thread, the club may be unable to comment further as yet due to having to carefully follow procedures and do everything right, legally.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 3:12pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Neilo83

Very strange timing for the youth coach to be going
Posted by: Tommy, September 6, 2013, 3:27pm; Reply: 66
Sure its just coincidence that Adam Smith is leaving.

Probably just found a better paid job at a higher grade academy.
Posted by: Neilo83, September 6, 2013, 3:31pm; Reply: 67
I'm only going on what jt put on twitter.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 6, 2013, 3:34pm; Reply: 68
Everyone including myself when I wrote it up for the Fishy assumed RS had gone because that's the way things normally work. But "once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".

Why can't we be normal?
Posted by: psgmariner, September 6, 2013, 3:46pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from GrimRob
Everyone including myself when I wrote it up for the Fishy assumed RS had gone because that's the way things normally work. But "once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".

Why can't we be normal?

So you have heard the Newell rumours as well eh?
Posted by: forza ivano, September 6, 2013, 3:48pm; Reply: 70
btw what are the gillingham rumours?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 6, 2013, 3:51pm; Reply: 71
Maybe Deputy Doig will become the new No 2?
Posted by: chaos33, September 6, 2013, 4:14pm; Reply: 72
Just trying to find out some stuff now....
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 4:21pm; Reply: 73
Just read on Twitter that it's to do with an alleged incident with a player... Not going to post what it is as I'm not sure how true it is and wouldn't want to get Rob into any bother. I'm sure it could probably be seen if you put #gtfc into Twitter.
Posted by: Tommy, September 6, 2013, 4:27pm; Reply: 74
I don't think there are any Gillingham rumours forza. Someone commented on the telegraph website that they'd seen on the bbc website about him going to Gillingham. There's nothing on the bbc site saying anything like that, but it probably hasn't stopped a load of people believing the comment and passing it on to people they know.... "oh have you heard mate, Scott's off to Gillingham" then so many people get to hear it that people think it must be true.

Baffles me when people think there must be some truth to a rumour just because a lot of people have heard it.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2013, 4:27pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from davmariner
Just read on Twitter that it's to do with an alleged incident with a player... Not going to post what it is as I'm not sure how true it is and wouldn't want to get Rob into any bother. I'm sure it could probably be seen if you put #gtfc into Twitter.

IF true, oh dear me :(
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 4:29pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from davmariner

Someone tweeted he headbutted aswad at half time against nuneaton, obviously unconfirmed and probably bollox who knows ?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 4:31pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Tommy
I don't think there are any Gillingham rumours forza. Someone commented on the telegraph website that they'd seen on the bbc website about him going to Gillingham. There's nothing on the bbc site saying anything like that, but it probably hasn't stopped a load of people believing the comment and passing it on to people they know.... "oh have you heard mate, Scott's off to Gillingham" then so many people get to hear it that people think it must be true.

Baffles me when people think there must be some truth to a rumour just because a lot of people have heard it.

We just have the same #gtfc
Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 4:32pm; Reply: 78

Someone tweeted he headbutted aswad at half time against nuneaton, obviously unconfirmed and probably bollox who knows ?

If that was true he would have gone the same day, bolloxs if you ask me
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 6, 2013, 4:33pm; Reply: 79

What did JT say?? about Nuneaton??
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 6, 2013, 4:36pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from GrimRob
Hope we get someone to assist Hurst who knows his stuff at this level rather than someone like Macca who mainly played in much higher divisions and some time ago. Be gutted if we get rid of Hurst as well, you might as well forget about the next two years.

Agreed with that
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 4:44pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Garth

If that was true he would have gone the same day, bolloxs if you ask me

Rumour mill going into over drive maybe
Posted by: Garth, September 6, 2013, 4:54pm; Reply: 82
Will he have to hand his Reliant Robin back, or does it automatically go to Hurst?
Posted by: Abdul19, September 6, 2013, 5:17pm; Reply: 83

Did he do it naked, Tony Pulis-style?!
Posted by: chaos33, September 6, 2013, 5:21pm; Reply: 84
Surely it's got to be be about an accumulation of issues relating to attitude and conduct which, IMO, have been appalling for some time.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 6, 2013, 5:30pm; Reply: 85
John Fenty: Rob Scott's apparent Grimsby Town departure not performance related

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/John-Fenty-Rob-Scott-s-apparent-Grimsby-Town/story-19763607-detail/story.html

Read in to it what you will....until we get a formal statement it's all speculation
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 5:33pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Abdul19

Did he do it naked, Tony Pulis-style?!

I have no idea why dont you ask on twitter # gtfc
Posted by: Meza, September 6, 2013, 5:41pm; Reply: 87
I'd have Buckley for coach not manager
Posted by: ginnywings, September 6, 2013, 5:45pm; Reply: 88
Suspended pending an investigation apparently.
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 6, 2013, 5:49pm; Reply: 89
Bring back Shankly.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 6, 2013, 5:49pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from mariner91

That was a weekly occurrence wasn't it?

It was for me when I was managing PFC
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 6:21pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

It was for me when I was managing PFC

That club is on the up now!! ;-)
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 6, 2013, 6:23pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from topuphere666

That club is on the up now!! ;-)

It sure is Sam.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 6, 2013, 6:25pm; Reply: 93
I'm staking a claim for the maddest new manager suggestion;
Daryl Clare assisted by a yoda-like Buckkers.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 6, 2013, 6:41pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I'm staking a claim for the maddest new manager suggestion;
Daryl Clare assisted by a yoda-like Buckkers.

I will go with Buckley and his assistant McDermott  8)
Posted by: LH, September 6, 2013, 6:55pm; Reply: 95
The woman who just served me in the bookies said it is money related. Anybody else heard that one?
Posted by: Freemoash88, September 6, 2013, 6:55pm; Reply: 96
Paul Groves to be Assisted by Graham Rodger

You heard it here first.

UTM
Posted by: Meza, September 6, 2013, 6:58pm; Reply: 97
One thing I've noticed on btsports between hyde and town they showed the dressing rooms before the game at half time and at full time something you dont see on sky or motd.  Anyway at fulltime after town won you can see rob scott pointing his finger at certain players probably moaning, ok it wasnt the best performance but imagine being a player you win the game yet still get moaned at is this acceptable will this instill confidence and a happy dressing room?

That made me think about their management style.
Posted by: topuphere666, September 6, 2013, 7:00pm; Reply: 98
But to be fair Meza we were awful against Hyde and the players needed a good talking to about it. Approach is key though and Scott hasn't got that. I'd imagine players like Thomas, colbeck, neilson will need an arm around their shoulder rather than a full on blast of swear words
Posted by: Sigone, September 6, 2013, 7:01pm; Reply: 99
Lisa(ticket office) eagerly assisted by steve (fraggle) wraith
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 6, 2013, 7:03pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Meza
One thing I've noticed on btsports between hyde and town they showed the dressing rooms before the game at half time and at full time something you dont see on sky or motd.  Anyway at fulltime after town won you can see rob scott pointing his finger at certain players probably moaning, ok it wasnt the best performance but imagine being a player you win the game yet still get moaned at is this acceptable will this instill confidence and a happy dressing room?

That made me think about their management style.

His management style crossed my mind when he told his supporters to basically fook off and dont come erhh. But as big chris pointed out if he had got us out of the dog and duck the fans wouldnt have been bothered apparently  (no)
Posted by: Meza, September 6, 2013, 7:07pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from topuphere666
But to be fair Meza we were awful against Hyde and the players needed a good talking to about it. Approach is key though and Scott hasn't got that. I'd imagine players like Thomas, colbeck, neilson will need an arm around their shoulder rather than a full on blast of swear words

Hmm I put that across wrong lol

yeah nothing wrong with a bollocking what I meant to say is I get the impression thats all he does.  Having said that Buckley locked the players in the dressing room lol and didn't Buckley lock someone in the ground I.e the grounds man.
Posted by: carrot top, September 6, 2013, 8:28pm; Reply: 102
I think something had to be done anyway. The interest in following Town after just 6 games is dwindling fast. All you have to do is ask around. I went to he Aldershot game and could not believe how poor we were. The reports on here suggest we were worse against Nuneaton and we are supposed to have an improved squad compared to last season. Nobody is bigger than the club and the board have to ensure the manager/s are really acting in he best interests of it and not just about themselves an their egos. Worrying times at BP
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 10:05pm; Reply: 103
How this has been handled is pathetic don't you think?! Reading between the lines I think we know what has gone on so why has it taken nearly a week to unfold and happened the day before a fairly important match?
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 6, 2013, 10:11pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from davmariner
How this has been handled is pathetic don't you think?! Reading between the lines I think we know what has gone on so why has it taken nearly a week to unfold and happened the day before a fairly important match?

Haven't you heard of due process and getting your facts right before you gob of.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 6, 2013, 10:59pm; Reply: 105
It was always going to end this way. Scott, and to a lesser degree Hurst, have never endeared themselves to the Mariners faithful, and i don't believe they ever will, whatever they do.

I have said before that fan apathy and falling gates will get Fenty readying his trigger finger, and it sounds as if some opportunity has presented itself for Fenty to take action.

I have been told that the players don't like Scott and refer to him as the Goldfish because he is forever changing what he wants from them. It is clear from the performances that something is amiss and the players are totally lacking in confidence. Aswad Thomas has gone from the best to the worst left back in the division in the last 9 months for example. Scotts' constant outbursts cannot be good for team morale.

It was said on RH tonight that S&H aren't happy at the negativity of the fans, which is maybe a fair comment, but we have not had a lot to be positive about for the last few seasons. The club seems to be dying on it's bottom at the moment and i think a change was inevitable. I can't see Scott coming back to be honest, so we will either run with Hurst or be looking for yet another manager.

Let's hope that in either instance the right decision is reached, because a lot of fans are fed up and losing their appetite for GTFC.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 6, 2013, 11:16pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from ginnywings
I have said before that fan apathy and falling gates will get Fenty readying his trigger finger, and it sounds as if some opportunity has presented itself for Fenty to take action.

Gates haven't fallen under S&H they have gone up, quite a lot. Last year we averaged 3800, it was 3100 the year before and a bit less the year before that. 3500 so far in the 3 games to date this season.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 6, 2013, 11:22pm; Reply: 107
This is the highest they have managed and it's common practice to have a go at the fans.  Neweel had a go at us for not having a go at him when the team was failing.

They never really gained our trust because they haven't put a side together with the money they have had hence the negativity.
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 11:25pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Haven't you heard of due process and getting your facts right before you gob of.

Due process? The club released a statement this morning saying Rob Scott had left the club, they subsequently decided to retract it an hour after hence the confusion. Can't see why it would take 6 days to suspend someone following an alleged incident that occurred last Saturday. He should have been suspended on Sunday pending an internal investigation and an outcome as a result of findings, that my friend is due process.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 6, 2013, 11:29pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from davmariner

Due process? The club released a statement this morning saying Rob Scott had left the club, they subsequently decided to retract it an hour after hence the confusion. Can't see why it would take 6 days to suspend someone following an alleged incident that occurred last Saturday. He should have been suspended on Sunday pending an internal investigation and an outcome as a result of findings, that my friend is due process.

I agree with your thought process but it depends were the information came from 'cough cough' because a certain person didn't know what went on pitch side  ;)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 6, 2013, 11:29pm; Reply: 110
In Ginnywings corner here. After the first game I said that we should change managers not because of that result but something about the atmosphere at the club seems wrong. I am not an advocate of sacking managers and really thought these two would get us out this league. But if Clayton Mcdonald is imprving quality within this club I'm a Dutchman. He is an embarassment to the club and the release of Miller defies credibility and if there were external or other reasons for his departure the fans should have been told.

I believe they have put some pride back in the club both for us fans and the players wearing the shirt but I think this season they have lost direction both in the quality of player signed on and the formation to be used. Any system will work if the team is good enough and the way we played last autumn was an example, however, since that boxing day performance everything about the club has gone backwards despite the trip to Wembley.

Whatever the outcome I am sure we all want the same thing thats success for town and I do not care who delivers it but it needs delivering sooner rather than later
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 11:49pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Marinerz93

I agree with your thought process but it depends were the information came from 'cough cough' because a certain person didn't know what went on pitch side  ;)

Fair point! I personally feel that this could have been handled slightly better in a way that would limit the amount of disruption caused to the club and the team.

For what it's worth I can't help feeling slightly sorry for Rob Scott tonight. If he has done what is alleged then that is completely wrong and appropriate action should be taken and it looks as if that is happening. He obviously has gone about things the wrong way and behaved unprofessionally at times, but I genuinely had the feeling that he wanted the club to do well and worked hard towards it. The way he behaved stemmed from frustration. Frustration that referees have been appalling at times, frustration that maybe fans have got on players backs too easily and frustration at the general negativity around the club. I think his approach to management is dated and not necessarily appropriate in the professional game of today and has contributed to his downfall.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 6, 2013, 11:52pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from davmariner

Fair point! I personally feel that this could have been handled slightly better in a way that would limit the amount of disruption caused to the club and the team.

For what it's worth I can't help feeling slightly sorry for Rob Scott tonight. If he has done what is alleged then that is completely wrong and appropriate action should be taken and it looks as if that is happening. He obviously has gone about things the wrong way and behaved unprofessionally at times, but I genuinely had the feeling that he wanted the club to do well and worked hard towards it. The way he behaved stemmed from frustration. Frustration that referees have been appalling at times, frustration that maybe fans have got on players backs too easily and frustration at the general negativity around the club. I think his approach to management is dated and not necessarily appropriate in the professional game of today and has contributed to his downfall.

We don't know what's happened but I am sad for Rob who has always given his all. Perhaps too much of his all and I hope he comes back from this a more reasoned yet still passionate manger, best of luck Rob.
Posted by: davmariner, September 6, 2013, 11:58pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from 75

We don't know what's happened but I am sad for Rob who has always given his all. Perhaps too much of his all and I hope he comes back from this a more reasoned yet still passionate manger, best of luck Rob.

Good point that maybe I should have addressed. Hopefully what is alleged isn't true, I think it could only be bad for the club if that has happened. One thing for sure is that since their arrival, tactics and formations aside, I've seen players that are professional and that have given their all for the club which is a mentality instilled by the managers. Many have and will draw similarities between a certain ex scouse manager and Rob Scott. This is complete tosh and couldn't be more untrue.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 7, 2013, 12:05am; Reply: 114
Quoted from davmariner

Good point that maybe I should have addressed. Hopefully what is alleged isn't true, I think it could only be bad for the club if that has happened. One thing for sure is that since their arrival, tactics and formations aside, I've seen players that are professional and that have given their all for the club which is a mentality instilled by the managers. Many have and will draw similarities between a certain ex scouse manager and Rob Scott. This is complete tosh and couldn't be more untrue.

Im told by our former left back from scuntsville scott was a professional person in all the things he did football and a more importantly a decent coach aswell, he will get more work
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 7, 2013, 12:07am; Reply: 115
Only just seen this, pretty delighted he's out of the club to be fair. I also don't agree with the worry that a new manager could set us back 2 years, this isn't a case of a manager leaving behind a excrement squad. We've actually got a very very good squad imo just tactically inept managers and one in particular who is that self obsessed that he was failing to see that his tactics were not working. This gives Hurst a golden opportunity to put things right without it looking like he's back tracking on himself. For that reason alone I hope he stays and makes the club his own, he seems a decent enough bloke and could thrive without flipping motor mouth going off on his own tangent because he just wants to be right.

Tomorrows squad selection will be very very interesting. If it's a starting 11 we've been crying out for I reckon we will see a huge positive from Hurst in charge, if it's the same old shite then I can't see him being here this time next week.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 7, 2013, 12:09am; Reply: 116
Good debating points davmariner and BP Vicar, and to a point they both have brought in players who for large parts of the season tried.  It's the back end of last season and the beginning of this and maybe a host of other variables that has brought us to this point.
Posted by: mariner91, September 7, 2013, 12:10am; Reply: 117
I don't think we have a "very, very good squad". It's decent but not amazing.
Posted by: davmariner, September 7, 2013, 12:15am; Reply: 118

Im told by our former left back from scuntsville scott was a professional person in all the things he did football and a more importantly a decent coach aswell, he will get more work

Interesting to hear that, maybe Rob was a bit misunderstood in the end after all? On a match day we see a bit of a show from a ranting buffoon that apparently has a go at his players at every opportunity. The more I think about it the more I realise that whenever I've heard him interviewed and he's acted like a bit of an idiot it's usually been in defence of his players on the back of criticism. He may be a bit of a muppet who is all mouth but I can't imagine him as a violent thug. Starting to now doubt these rumours myself to be honest.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 7, 2013, 12:16am; Reply: 119
Quoted from mariner91
I don't think we have a "very, very good squad". It's decent but not amazing.

Totally agree, I think we went backward letting Miller and Nivan go, TBH the replacements have not shown anything better yet,
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 7, 2013, 12:19am; Reply: 120
I agree with the Miller point, but these two have hardly got the best out of the good players we've had. Paddy Mclaughlin was one of the best midfielders in the league two seasons ago, now he just looks half decent with us. Jamie Devitt looked really poor under them, Hearn looks out of sorts too.

A good manager would get this squad promoted (with the addition of a center back and left back).
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 7, 2013, 12:20am; Reply: 121

Totally agree, I think we went backward letting Miller and Nivan go, TBH the replacements have not shown anything better yet,

Hi Rob, sure you're a top lad but how come you are one of the 'elite' when I don't remember you posting on the normal fishy too much?

Mean no disrespect, but I think people on here are a little worried about potential legal action each word they type and I don't think I know you? Maybe it's me but the North Koreans are watching.

Cheers

Jason Paget
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 7, 2013, 12:28am; Reply: 122
Quoted from 75

Hi Rob, sure you're a top lad but how come you are one of the 'elite' when I don't remember you posting on the normal fishy too much?

Mean no disrespect, but I think people on here are a little worried about potential legal action each word they type and I don't think I know you? Maybe it's me but the North Koreans are watching.

Cheers

Jason Paget

To keep control you must make sure you don't lose it in the first place.  I know your not happy Padge but not everyone is a club spy!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 7, 2013, 12:29am; Reply: 123
Jason
I have been on the Fishy from the off but don't post to often, I for my sins I am the person responsible for the Fishy logo when Rob moved the forum from the Electronic Fish cake. Not sure why people think I am anyone but myself TBH

Rob Andrews
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 7, 2013, 12:33am; Reply: 124
Quoted from Marinerz93

To keep control you must make sure you don't lose it in the first place.  I know your not happy Padge but not everyone is a club spy!

;D  ;D
Posted by: davmariner, September 7, 2013, 12:34am; Reply: 125
Just seen a tweet from Matt Dannatt from the Telegraph: "Aswas Thomas' apology and #GTFC announcement regarding Rob Scott are not linked, so I'm told". Interesting! Is this worth its own thread maybe?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 7, 2013, 12:36am; Reply: 126
Quoted from Marinerz93

I've nothing to hide but my love for my football club and I've not been one to hide behind a username. It's stupid, we are all Town, we all want the same thing and I for one am passionate about my football club. I only have one club, I'll never have another but I am so so disillusioned after recent events on a personal basis, I've never felt so isolated from the club - that's the truth. I understand a senior member of the board has asked admin to consider my membership of this forum, or at least questioned it - hence never so isolated from my own club.

I cant' comment on why this forum, the busiest of all GTFC forums has been driven underground (or perhaps the owner chose to for a reason I am not aware of).

That's the way I feel and intercourse it, I'll say it, or I'll type it. So if I've gone in the next day or two, I wish you all well. UTM.

If anybody feels I have violated any conditions or caused any upset by my post above, please PM me and I will deal with your request ASAP.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2013, 12:44am; Reply: 127
Quoted from GrimRob

Gates haven't fallen under S&H they have gone up, quite a lot. Last year we averaged 3800, it was 3100 the year before and a bit less the year before that. 3500 so far in the 3 games to date this season.

Fair enough, the overall trend may be up but we scraped just over 4000 for the first home game, which promptly fell by 700 for the second game, and then went up very slightly for the third home game on the back of two wins.

The general feeling of apathy around the ground is apparent and lots of diehards who have sat around me for years and years have started to vote with their feet. The ones that are left are starting to question their allegiance as the football and atmosphere is non existant.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 7, 2013, 12:44am; Reply: 128
Quoted from 75

I've nothing to hide but my love for my football club and I've not been one to hide behind a username. It's stupid, we are all Town, we all want the same thing and I for one am passionate about my football club. I only have one club, I'll never have another but I am so so disillusioned after recent events on a personal basis, I've never felt so isolated from the club - that's the truth. I understand a senior member of the board has asked admin to consider my membership of this forum, or at least questioned it - hence never so isolated from my own club.

I cant' comment on why this forum, the busiest of all GTFC forums has been driven underground (or perhaps the owner chose to for a reason I am not aware of).

That's the way I feel and intercourse it, I'll say it, or I'll type it. So if I've gone in the next day or two, I wish you all well. UTM.

If anybody feels I have violated any conditions or caused any upset by my post above, please PM me and I will deal with your request ASAP.

I hear every word Padge and know how you feel.  There is always a way to get your point of view across, at this minute in time I would advise some chill time.  We have already lost too many, we don't want to lose any more.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 7, 2013, 12:49am; Reply: 129
Jason
I have been on the Fishy from the off but don't post to often, I for my sins am the person responsible for the Fishy logo when Rob moved the forum from the Electronic Fish cake. Not sure why people think I am anyone but myself TBH

Rob Andrews

I do apologise Rob. Sorry, it's just the atmosphere on here isn't great at the moment. Nothing to do with you of course but it appears to be an oppressive atmosphere on here at the moment. Still, sorry about that one and UTM. Cracking logo by the way!

Padge
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 7, 2013, 12:51am; Reply: 130
Quoted from 75

I do apologise Rob. Sorry, it's just the atmosphere on here isn't great at the moment. Nothing to do with you of course but it appears to be an oppressive atmosphere on here at the moment. Still, sorry about that one and UTM. Cracking logo by the way!

Padge

Now kiss

Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 7, 2013, 12:54am; Reply: 131
Quoted from Marinerz93

Now kiss

;D
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 7, 2013, 2:38am; Reply: 132
Quoted from davmariner

Second part agree with. Rest total XYZ Maters of this sort need investigating and must follow due process.  
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 7, 2013, 2:40am; Reply: 133
Quoted from davmariner

Just what is alleged. Does anyone really know?
Posted by: wigworld, September 7, 2013, 8:36am; Reply: 134
His pitchside behaviour, whether with the fans or with the opposing bench, gives the club no credibility at all, and should have been addressed a long time ago.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 7, 2013, 9:04am; Reply: 135
Quoted from wigworld
His pitchside behaviour, whether with the fans or with the opposing bench, gives the club no credibility at all, and should have been addressed a long time ago.

This is the main point for me. I think he's a good coach, 90% of him ticks all the boxes required for a manager, but that missing 10%...this is what defines him in most peoples eyes. There's always been random speculation since these two joined that player x didn't like him/didn't rate him but in all honesty we have some great players such as Pearson, McKeown, Hearn etc who seem more than happy to extend their contracts under these two when they obviously would have other *possibly* better options away from Town.

I still think it's one outburst too many and enough is enough.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 7, 2013, 9:18am; Reply: 136
Quoted from RoboCod

This is the main point for me. I think he's a good coach, 90% of him ticks all the boxes required for a manager, but that missing 10%...this is what defines him in most peoples eyes. There's always been random speculation since these two joined that player x didn't like him/didn't rate him but in all honesty we have some great players such as Pearson, McKeown, Hearn etc who seem more than happy to extend their contracts under these two when they obviously would have other *possibly* better options away from Town.

I still think it's one outburst too many and enough is enough.

Pick up any tabloid and you'll read tittle tattle of players not getting on with managers, it happens at every club. He's a young inexperienced manager he's bound to make mistakes, like Lawsy did before him and went on to have a successful career. Personally I'd rather have a young promising manager any day than someone at the end of his career like AB. If he comes back to work with the team hopefully he'll learn from this.
Posted by: gobby, September 7, 2013, 9:19am; Reply: 137
He was always on a short fuse and brought troubles on himself at every oppotunity but he and Hurst gave us fans something to finally to cheer about, 4th in the table and a day out at Wembley last season. That for me was a good season no matter how bad Scotts management skills were. If he has finished with the club I for one would like to thank him and hopefully it was a big learning curve for him and the club. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Squarkus, September 7, 2013, 10:43am; Reply: 138
Quoted from wigworld

who say it wasnt time after time
Posted by: EY Mariner, September 7, 2013, 10:45am; Reply: 139
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Absolutely not.
Posted by: Badger57, September 7, 2013, 10:47am; Reply: 140
Quoted from pontoonlew
Only just seen this, pretty delighted he's out of the club to be fair. I also don't agree with the worry that a new manager could set us back 2 years, this isn't a case of a manager leaving behind a excrement squad. We've actually got a very very good squad imo just tactically inept managers and one in particular who is that self obsessed that he was failing to see that his tactics were not working. This gives Hurst a golden opportunity to put things right without it looking like he's back tracking on himself. For that reason alone I hope he stays and makes the club his own, he seems a decent enough bloke and could thrive without flipping motor mouth going off on his own tangent because he just wants to be right.

Tomorrows squad selection will be very very interesting. If it's a starting 11 we've been crying out for I reckon we will see a huge positive from Hurst in charge, if it's the same old shite then I can't see him being here this time next week.

I've got to agree with this 100%   8)

P.S. It's bloody GREAT gto be back on The Fishy!!!!   :) :) :)

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 7, 2013, 10:49am; Reply: 141
Quoted from GrimRob

If he comes back to work with the team hopefully he'll learn from this.

Can't really see how he could come back to the club now . Before the club changed their initial statement it sounded pretty final to me .
Posted by: EY Mariner, September 7, 2013, 10:55am; Reply: 142

The key word there is yet. It is far too early to be making a judgement when, in fact, we have actually started this season better than we did the last.
Posted by: Garth, September 7, 2013, 12:22pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from 75

His all is just not good enough though is it, no time for sentiment for anyone  in our once great club languishing in the darkest regions of English football, we need a leader who can orchestrate with his brain and not his mouth.

Should he go, its good luck Rob and the next club who employs you, should he stay IMO it would be a backward step
Posted by: rancido, September 7, 2013, 1:30pm; Reply: 144
I was reliably informed that allegedly RS nearly left the club prior to the Nuneaton game. Allegedly there has been issues with his foul-mouthed ranting to some of the players as well.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 7, 2013, 3:30pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Meza
I'd have Buckley for coach ..driver..not manager

mind you, scrap that thought...the team would always arrive late as they wouldnt take the most direct route and just as they pulled up in front of the destination they would reverse back to halfway and set off again..
Posted by: Badger57, September 7, 2013, 3:45pm; Reply: 146
At first the idea of Sir Alan coming back for Mark IV didn't appeal. I mean, after all, Mark III was not a success in any shape or form. Other league teams had long since sussed the way AB liked to play football. He was old hat and his time had gone. Therein lies the rub though. It was a long time ago and memories are short in football. I'm certain Alan could get this team playing decent football again, the way most of us like to see it played. I have no doubts about that. Also, we have very good strikers at this level who would love to be on the end of all the passing and movement that Alan would certainly like to instill into the players. Yes, I really quite the idea, certainly in the short to medium term. No great upheaval required as he's already at the club. yeah, I like it more and more!!!   8)
Posted by: RonMariner, September 7, 2013, 7:22pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from Badger57
At first the idea of Sir Alan coming back for Mark IV didn't appeal. I mean, after all, Mark III was not a success in any shape or form.  

Apart from keeping us comfortably in L2 and getting to a Wembley final..............
Posted by: Badger57, September 7, 2013, 9:00pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from RonMariner

Apart from keeping us comfortably in L2 and getting to a Wembley final..............

Sheesh! Yeah, you're right! My, how my expectations of what I expected from a Mariners side have changed over the last ten years or so!  :B
Well, from a certain ex player, who most definately shall remain nameless, I understand Sir Alan will be in charge of training from Monday!
I do hope so.  8)
Good second half from the lads today though. A little more ambition and Cookie on 10 minutes earlier and I think we'd have sneaked all 3 points today.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 1:23pm