Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, April 29, 2013, 5:26pm
passed Away
Thoughts with his family
Posted by: Gary Haddock, April 29, 2013, 5:27pm; Reply: 1
R.I.P. Kev More.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), April 29, 2013, 5:28pm; Reply: 2
RIP Kev, never saw him play but have heard my Granddad speak highly of him.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2013, 5:28pm; Reply: 3
Jeez, knew he was ill but didn't realise how bad he was.

Not very old either.

Great player for this club.

RIP Kevin.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 29, 2013, 5:29pm; Reply: 4
RIP    Kev, one of Grimsby's  Greats
Posted by: forza ivano, April 29, 2013, 5:32pm; Reply: 5
Can only echo pete's sentiments. real tragedy was such a good player for us, local lad had everything going for him - intelligent and he created a career after his playing days were over. will raise a glass to him tonight
Posted by: Alfie, April 29, 2013, 5:34pm; Reply: 6
Before my time but having interviewed many from that era, I have never heard a bad word said about the guy.
Horrible disease. Thoughts with Dave and the family.

Hope you join me in donating a few quid to Dementia UK: http://www.dementiauk.org/donate/single-donation/

RIP Kev Moore.
Posted by: Tom13, April 29, 2013, 5:35pm; Reply: 7
RIP
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, April 29, 2013, 5:37pm; Reply: 8
RIP to a true legend before my time, thoughts are with his family :(
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 29, 2013, 5:41pm; Reply: 9
RIP Kev, a very sad day.
Posted by: petethemariner, April 29, 2013, 5:41pm; Reply: 10
Kev was a quality defender, he was the same age as me, so that really brings it home to you, but with that
dreadful disease its  probably a blessed relief for him and  his family.
RIP Kev Moore  GTFC legend.
Posted by: Mingmariner, April 29, 2013, 5:41pm; Reply: 11
RIP True town legend
Posted by: jointhetrust, April 29, 2013, 5:42pm; Reply: 12
RIP Kevin Moore, leader of the side when i first went to see town - top player.

Have many pics of him as he was skipper when i was a mascot.

Hope the club can pay tribute, e.g. at player of the year night and/or the George Kerr night

Posted by: Les Brechin, April 29, 2013, 5:43pm; Reply: 13
Awful news.

Kev has a place in my all-time best Town XI and I doubt that he will ever be ousted.

RIP Kev, a true Grimsby legend.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, April 29, 2013, 5:47pm; Reply: 14
Terrible news
He was centre back when I first started watching GTFC - never seen a better one since.
Tremendous header of a ball with cultured left foot and very intelligent player
RIP
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, April 29, 2013, 5:51pm; Reply: 15
RIP Kevin
Condolences to Dave and the rest of his family
Abiding memory of this true legend is at Derby, the baseball ground.
1-0 down moving into injury time, i nip for a pee before getting on the coach home, get back just in time to see kev pick the ball up midway in his own half and drive forward.
The derby side parted like Moses parting the Red Sea and from about 30 yards out he blasted the ball in for a last gasp equaliser.
Cue mental scenes in the away end and Derby fans in the stand above us throwing things and spitting at us.

Superb Player and a true Ambassador for this club
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 29, 2013, 5:57pm; Reply: 16
R.I.P. Kev Moore, my thoughts are with the family and friends.
Posted by: Garth, April 29, 2013, 5:57pm; Reply: 17
Great player,  was the best of three decent footballing brothers  RIP Kevin,  also my condolences to Dave and family
Posted by: Perkins, April 29, 2013, 5:59pm; Reply: 18
So sad. Class player and a real nice guy. Once a mariner always a mariner.
RIP Kev.
Posted by: Tinymariner, April 29, 2013, 6:05pm; Reply: 19
RIP Kev Moore. A true Grimsby Town Legend who will be remembered for many years.
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 29, 2013, 6:11pm; Reply: 20
RIP

Condolences to Dave and family
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 29, 2013, 6:21pm; Reply: 21
Kevin's , dad, uncle and brothers Dave and Andy all played for town,

My thoughts are with all the family, Kev was probably the best local lad to ever play for town.
Posted by: Vance Warner, April 29, 2013, 6:23pm; Reply: 22
Very sad news. RIP
Posted by: tintowner, April 29, 2013, 6:27pm; Reply: 23
One of the best players of the best team I was fortunate to witness play  during my youth...  a true Town legend.
Posted by: 4134 (Guest), April 29, 2013, 6:36pm; Reply: 24
Goodnight Kev,my friend,sleep tight and thank you for the  joyous hours I watched you in Towns colours.A true Gentleman,sincere thoughts and prayers to all the Moore family.RIP mate.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 29, 2013, 6:36pm; Reply: 25
Classy is about the most apt description I can think of both on and off the field. A true GTFC legend. RIP Mooro
Posted by: snottsmariner, April 29, 2013, 6:41pm; Reply: 26
He was a great for the town at a time we where very good. Didn't know he was so ill. RIP and hope all his family see the condolences and affection on this board?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 29, 2013, 6:43pm; Reply: 27
Puts yesterdays events into perspective really.
Posted by: Munster, April 29, 2013, 6:46pm; Reply: 28
RIP thoughts with all the Moore family who have added so much to GTFC history
Posted by: Pint of Mild Please Batchy, April 29, 2013, 6:50pm; Reply: 29
Kevin was part of the team for which I used to watch in the Main Stand with my dad when I was a kid growing up in the eighties. Its always sad to lose a fellow Mariner. RIP Kev - GTFC Legend.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, April 29, 2013, 7:04pm; Reply: 30
RIP to a club legend.
Posted by: marinernige, April 29, 2013, 7:05pm; Reply: 31
R.I.P A true Grimsby Legend, more important one of our own.
Posted by: Richard, April 29, 2013, 7:08pm; Reply: 32
R.I.P  KEV  thanks for all the memories  
Posted by: MrFisherman, April 29, 2013, 7:09pm; Reply: 33
RIP Kevin Moore good defender and brill bloke to talk to  :o :o :o
Posted by: Shithouse Rat, April 29, 2013, 7:10pm; Reply: 34
Legend is used too often nowadays but Kev Moore is and always will be a GTFC legend.  Local lad, who was a class player and a nice bloke.

Very sad news and my thoughts go out to his family and close friends.
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 29, 2013, 7:11pm; Reply: 35
R.I.P Kev

UTM
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 29, 2013, 7:17pm; Reply: 36
RIP Kev Moore a fantastic player went with Laurie to Southampton a great Product of the GTFC youth team.

Condolences to ex town phisio Dave ex player Andy and the rest of Kev's family, feck town not going up this is far more sadder  what a sad day knew he was ill but he was no age. :'( :( :( :( :B :B :B :B
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 29, 2013, 7:20pm; Reply: 37
Makes yesterday irrelevant. Top Class Player, and played in the greatest Town side I ever saw

I am truly saddened by this
Posted by: CatchOfTheDay, April 29, 2013, 7:31pm; Reply: 38
RIP Kev, never saw you play but sound like a true legend.
Posted by: mrsd, April 29, 2013, 7:38pm; Reply: 39
RIP Kev. A true Town legend. My thoughts go out to Mandy and family.
Posted by: Badger57, April 29, 2013, 7:40pm; Reply: 40
Was year below me at school. We had our differences but got over them as we grew older and wiser. Great footballer and also very intelligent. God bless you and all your family. You were a credit to all and sundry. Many happy memories. R.I.P. Kev
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 29, 2013, 7:44pm; Reply: 41
Just seen this, very sad news, Kev awarded our team (bradley park) in 1981 runners up trophy in the final against old clee, he was a very nice man.

RIP kevin Moore
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 29, 2013, 7:49pm; Reply: 42
Just when you thought the GTFC news can not get any worse the most devastating news of all, can't believe it he was a massive player at gtfc so brave as were the other Moore brothers.

Sunday was a just a disappointment but this is a tragedy that puts everything else in perspective.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, April 29, 2013, 7:53pm; Reply: 43
R.I.P. Kevin Moore. A true Grimsby Town legend. He was an absolute rock at the heart of our defence when I started watching Town. Thoughts are with the family.
Posted by: shotandcursed, April 29, 2013, 7:58pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin
Awful news.

Kev has a place in my all-time best Town XI and I doubt that he will ever be ousted.

RIP Kev, a true Grimsby legend.

This  :o

(and I also agree that it puts yesterday into perspective)

Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 29, 2013, 8:07pm; Reply: 45
Rest in piece Kev a true legend best wishes to all his family
Posted by: newfootballer, April 29, 2013, 8:09pm; Reply: 46
   Sad to see a very close friend pass away so tragically

We all knew that this was going to happen but of course when it happens we are all shell shocked.
Kev was a young apprentice while I was at Town and he was a very dedicated  person who wanted to achieve his target by getting into the first team Quickly

Kevin did that and followed his dad who I got told actually played for Town, so along with his other brothers who were already connected to Town, there was a strong Moore presence already at Town.

Memories of Kevin to me are, what a very nice person, especially when he was an apprentice I went back every afternoon along with other young lads and worked on our problems in certain areas and try to put them right.

Kev always had an answer, a;ways questioned what we were trying to teach them , but let me say this that was very healthy exercise.

I always knew that he was going to go a higher standard and he did and I am sure that he would have got into Management if not for his illness that he has know taken his life.

KEV YOU WERE SPECIAL
DAVE BOYLEN EX TEAMATE
Posted by: thevera, April 29, 2013, 8:10pm; Reply: 47
Sadly dies on his 55th birthday.
Rest in Peace Kev.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 29, 2013, 8:10pm; Reply: 48
Condolences to the family, rest in peace.
Posted by: STB, April 29, 2013, 8:11pm; Reply: 49
Great words Dave.
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 29, 2013, 8:13pm; Reply: 50
RIP Kevin, thoughts go to dave and family
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 29, 2013, 8:16pm; Reply: 51
So powerful words Dave, im sure he is having a laugh now in heaven with the others about your height
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, April 29, 2013, 8:20pm; Reply: 52
Legend is a word used too lightly, but not in Kev Moore's case, an absolute class act in that remarkable team that was my first set of GTFC heroes. RIP, God Bless and thank you.
Posted by: Running like emson, April 29, 2013, 8:24pm; Reply: 53
Saw Kev play many times for town. Not seen many better in the black and white stripes since. RIP
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2013, 8:24pm; Reply: 54
Great player loved his commitment and passion for our club, brings back so many great memories thinking about his era RIP fellow mariner
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 29, 2013, 8:24pm; Reply: 55
Saw him play a handful of times when I was a nipper. Don't think I can quite remember how good he was, but was undoubtably a legend.

Rip to a hero to many and legend to many more
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, April 29, 2013, 8:25pm; Reply: 56
RIP Kev Moore. My first ever town game was his testimonial
Posted by: iimariner, April 29, 2013, 8:27pm; Reply: 57
My first ever post on here - my memories are of Kevin Moore bringing the ball out of crowded chaotic penalty box with calmness and authority.  Kev - thank you for great memories.  Thoughts with Dave, Andy and family.  
Posted by: misterx, April 29, 2013, 8:29pm; Reply: 58
R.I.P Kevin. My thoughts are with his family, true GTFC Legend was lucky enough to support Town throughout  his career.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2013, 8:42pm; Reply: 59
I remember the 80/81 season when we hardly ever conceded at home.

Just looked at the stats and we only conceded 13 league goals all season at home, and West Ham were responsible for 5 of those when they thrashed us.

Kev was a great defender and played in a very good Town side.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 29, 2013, 8:43pm; Reply: 60
A great loss to the family and the club.  Kevin was an a excellent defender, very solid and reliable under pressure.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 29, 2013, 8:59pm; Reply: 61
Nice words Dave he was about my age and I watched that squad rise with Lawrie Mac to become the best sides I have seen in my lifetime anyway. Seeing the likes of Kev Moore, Andy Moore , Dave Moore, Kev Drinkall, Tony Ford and other local lads break through into the first team was the most exiting thing ever being a GTFC fan. Lawrie got those players playing incredible football and the whole town came to watch them. Feel sorry for today's fans they will never ever hear the wall of noise like the days Kev Moore had playing for GTFC.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2013, 9:04pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Nice words Dave he was about my age and I watched that squad rise with Lawrie Mac to become the best sides I have seen in my lifetime anyway. Seeing the likes of Kev Moore, Andy Moore , Dave Moore, Kev Drinkall, Tony Ford and other local lads break through into the first team was the most exiting thing ever being a GTFC fan. Lawrie got those players playing incredible football and the whole town came to watch them. Feel sorry for today's fans they will never ever hear the wall of noise like the days Kev Moore had playing for GTFC.

Lawrie Mac had been and gone by the time those players came along.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, April 29, 2013, 9:06pm; Reply: 63
Anyone remember that header he had against Wolves in the 0-0 draw at home in the League Cup in 79-80. Three minutes from the end. Would've put us into the semis. Hit the bar, just missed.

There's also this goal at Wembley in the ZDS:

He was such a brilliant player. RIP.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 29, 2013, 9:11pm; Reply: 64
RIP Kevin Moore. I remember him from when I first started watching Town as a kid. I think I've got his autograph somewhere as well! My dad used to teach him at Wingtringham I think, he was quite academic in comparison to most footballers who are only interested in sport. One of our own. We had 4 or 5 Grimsby lads in the team then. How times have changed.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 29, 2013, 9:13pm; Reply: 65
a True Town Legend.
rip Kevin
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 29, 2013, 9:40pm; Reply: 66
what a sad loss.  as a youngster i have vague memories of him as a player, and his brothers.   all of them gtfc through and through.  
rip kevin.    thoughts go out to all his family and friends at this sad time.
Posted by: lawsman, April 29, 2013, 9:47pm; Reply: 67
R I P Kev, you were a cultured player who never got flusterred. You are now needed up there because they are putting a team of greats together and they need a great defender.
Thoughts to your family at this sad time.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 29, 2013, 9:51pm; Reply: 68
my memory is him being sent off at Chesterfield, in a vital game towards the end of the 79-80 season, didnt complain, didnt talk back, just walked....

we won 3-2 in an amazing game....
Posted by: South Lincs Mariner, April 29, 2013, 9:52pm; Reply: 69
Very sad news which hurts more as he was a local lad whose desire to play for his home town team was driven by passion for the club, gone but not gorgotten!
Posted by: Paul62, April 29, 2013, 9:54pm; Reply: 70
Classy intelligent player and very genuine person, qualities hard to find with modern players. For those of us lucky enough to see you play it was a privilege, thank you Kevin.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 29, 2013, 10:03pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

Lawrie Mac had been and gone by the time those players came along.

Yep sorry sands of time got me it was George Kerrs side I think lawrie did go to Southampton and Kev went there my minds not what it use to be lol

Posted by: Les Brechin, April 29, 2013, 10:03pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen
my memory is him being sent off at Chesterfield, in a vital game towards the end of the 79-80 season, didnt complain, didnt talk back, just walked....

we won 3-2 in an amazing game....

I get those 2 Chesterfield games mixed up. We played them away twice that season and won both 3-2. One was in the league when we were 3-0 up and one an FA Cup Replay where we were losing 2-1 going into the final minute and scored 2 goals in stoppage time.

The 3 Kevs scored in one of those games too (Moore, Kilmore and Drinkell) but not sure which. I think it was the league game that Kev Moore was sent off in.
Posted by: supertown, April 29, 2013, 10:05pm; Reply: 73
RIP Kev, great player
Posted by: lee65, April 29, 2013, 10:17pm; Reply: 74
I grew up watching Kevin and that great George Kerr team, in those days you turned up at BP expecting a result, and it was a surprise if we didn't get it.
Great player, very calm on the ball.

RIP Kevin
Posted by: lawless29, April 29, 2013, 10:19pm; Reply: 75
R.I.P KEV a town and southampton legend
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 29, 2013, 10:23pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from tintowner
One of the best players of the best team I was fortunate to witness play  during my youth...  a true Town legend.

The only thing I can add is that he was a great bloke too. I remember George Kerr bringing the squad to train at the school I was at and Kev was brilliant with the kids. Such a shame he suffered so long from that terrible condition and a sad loss to the football world.

Posted by: Les Brechin, April 29, 2013, 10:41pm; Reply: 77
A great tribute from John Kirk.

Quoted Text
KEVIN Moore was academically bright, a great golfer (Lincolnshire Schoolboy Champion in the 1970s) and one of the best players ever to don the black and white stripes.

As soon as he had finished his A Levels, Kevin joined the Mariners, and within weeks was in the first team against Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup. Better than that, even at that stage in his career he kept his first team place for the next 13 games!

That was just an early example of what was to come from the high-jumping winger - full back - midfielder - centre-half!

His first matches against big-club opposition came in the three-times played games with Southampton - ironic really, bearing in mind his later career, but he had to wait until the second league game of the 1978-9 Fourth division season to record his first goal for the Mariners (versus Wigan Athletic).

By this time, one of the great Mariners sides of recent times was beginning to take shape, so let's just have a look at the team that Kevin scored in that day ....

Batch; Mawer, Kevin Moore, Waters, Barker, Crombie, Tony Ford, Terry Donovan, Mike Lester, Bobby Mitchell, Bob Cumming

Town stormed up the table, aided by Kevin's goals - often scored from soaring headers - and Town fans had the delight to see Kevin and brother Dave playing alongside one another for most of those games!

December 1979 saw Town facing the then mighty Wolves in the League Cup after beating Everton a week or two earlier at Blundell Park. Drawn at home, the game was heading for a goalless draw when, in the dying minutes Kev sent the ball crashing against the underside of the Pontoon bar in front of over 23,000 hoarse Mariner fans!

Although Wolves eventually won on neutral territory after another draw at Molineux.

Kevin missed the Liverpool FA Cup game due to injury. Perhaps had he played the Mariners wouldn't have been overwhelmed 5-0.

The rest of that season saw Town march on to the Third Division Championship, with Kevin scoring his final goal of the season in the penultimate home game versus Oxford. A great Evening Telegraph photo from the end of the Sheffield United game shows Mike Brolly and Kevin Moore being carried shoulder high by the fans, with Kevin giving a delighted "thumbs up" to all and sundry, with a broad grin on his face; and a later photo shows him spraying the fans with champagne from the old Directors Box.

Kevin's aerial power and tackling ability was bringing in the scouts, and in 1980 there were very strong rumours of a move to Liverpool, and his second year running selection for the PFA Select XI.

More highlights followed, though perhaps we Town fans were beginning to take Kevin's terrific abilities and the club's high league placing too much for granted!

In January 1982, Kevin was of course in the team that won 6-1 away in the FA Cup at Millwall, followed by a great 2-1 triumph at St James Park, under new manager Dave Booth. The team won the League Group Cup when they beat Wimbledon 3-2 at Blundell Park. Later he went on to play in the same team as his younger brother Andy!

Kevin eventually took over the captaincy from Joe Waters, leading the team with his inimitable style, and in 1986 was granted a Testimonial against Sheffield Wednesday. I had the honour of supplying the ball boys for that game, and afterwards Kevin was still enthusing over the football played, particularly over the movement of the Sheffield Wednesday forwards, and giving me a few tips of how to coach the lads! Then a few days later, a letter arrived from Kevin in his own writing, thanking the lads for their work!

Soon afterwards though, in 1987, with Kevin looking as though he would become the new appearance record holder, he was sold to Oldham by Mike Lyons to raise cash for team strengthening .... and it's now history that the team went down at the end of the season!

Oldham - then a second division side failed to make it to the (old) first division, and due to a clause in his contract, Kev was able to sign for a First Division side - that being Southampton, managed by his old team-mate Chris Nicholl! He was captain at Southampton too. After finishing his playing days at Fulham, Kevin served as safety officer, training ground manager and stadium manager at the Cottage.

For all the matches that I watched him play, my abiding memory of Kevin will be his trademark leap and practice header as he ran onto the pitch at the start of each game. With the opposition watching that, they knew they were never going to beat him in the air! He'd won, before ever setting his foot on the Blundell Park turf!

Kevin Moore
29th April 1958 - April 2013.
Posted by: realityman, April 29, 2013, 10:45pm; Reply: 78
A sad day. A really nice guy and a very good player.
Posted by: chaos33, April 29, 2013, 11:00pm; Reply: 79
Such a sad loss. A fantastic Grimsby Town representative and player who led by example. Consistent, intelligent, committed. Kev scored in my very first Town game in January 1980 and was a superb defender for several seasons. One of the best Town players ever. We will always remember you Kevin Moore. We love you. You did us all proud.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 29, 2013, 11:11pm; Reply: 80
It a real shame that the season has ended and we can't pay tribute to Kev. I hope the club arrange for something to be done at the next game played, however long away that may be.
Posted by: MrFisherman, April 29, 2013, 11:24pm; Reply: 81
Just read on Twitter via Matt Le Tissier that it was Kevins birthday and wedding anniversary as well today RIP GTFC Legend
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, April 29, 2013, 11:39pm; Reply: 82
RIP Kevin

Condolences to all the family.
Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2013, 11:52pm; Reply: 83
Local boy dun good.
Was the best of his generation IMO
RIP  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 30, 2013, 12:07am; Reply: 84
It seems a long time ago now that I played in the same team as he did. I was never quite good enough to make the Wintringham First XI but got the chance to play in some house matches when we were both in the 6th form (me Upper and him Lower) so consider myself privileged to have had him as a team-mate (albeit for Raynor house and not anything better...the competition back then was pretty tough mind)

A year later though Kev showed his true potential when starting off with Town and what a star he was for us in the glory years of the late 70s and early 80s. I swapped my place alongside him for just supporting from the terraces but could appreciate soon enough that he was soon destined to go on to bigger and better things in his career.

This is such a sad loss at a relatively young age and in terrible circumstances...when a contemporary passes on it brings home how short a time we have to enjoy our days but Kev, I take my hat off to you (and your other local Town compatriots) as you in the Black & White stripes gave me and thousands of others some of the best days we can ever have wished for watching the club we love

My sincere condolences go to wife Mandy and the rest of his family....all in all a true club legend, a scholar and a gentleman has left us today

RIP Kevin Moore
Posted by: paddymariners, April 30, 2013, 12:12am; Reply: 85
Very saddened to hear this news. Kev was an outstanding player for us and a thoroughly nice bloke as well. My condolences to Kev's family.  :'(
Posted by: Grim up north, April 30, 2013, 12:43am; Reply: 86
The true Captain , Leader , Legend .
Posted by: TonySmith, April 30, 2013, 2:28am; Reply: 87
Sad news indeed. To get such an awful disease at such a young age is just tragic and so unfair. Kevin was one of my favorite players in the great Town teams of my late teens and early 20's. I can see him on the field in my mind right now, first as a young full back and later as a truly magnificent central defender and leader of the team.My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 30, 2013, 4:31am; Reply: 88
RIP Kevin
Condolences to Dave and the rest of his family
Abiding memory of this true legend is at Derby, the baseball ground.
1-0 down moving into injury time, i nip for a pee before getting on the coach home, get back just in time to see kev pick the ball up midway in his own half and drive forward.
The derby side parted like Moses parting the Red Sea and from about 30 yards out he blasted the ball in for a last gasp equaliser.
Cue mental scenes in the away end and Derby fans in the stand above us throwing things and spitting at us.

Superb Player and a true Ambassador for this club

That's always the moment I remember when anyone mentions Kevin, stood at the back and went barmy.

Such a shame.

Posted by: Saudimariner, April 30, 2013, 6:17am; Reply: 89
Perhaps the best of that generation of local lads who made up the great team of the 80s.  RIP Kev.
Posted by: gtfcbean, April 30, 2013, 6:52am; Reply: 90
RIP
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 30, 2013, 7:11am; Reply: 91
A  truly lionhearted defender who could play a bit and scored some important goals for Town and was one of my idols when groing up RIP .
Posted by: RonMariner, April 30, 2013, 8:43am; Reply: 92
So many superlatives listed above, and all of them merited.

He was one of the greatest players ever to wear the shirt. We were so very very fortunate to have him in our team for so many years.

A legend,

Thank you, Kevin. You enriched the lives of all Town fans that had the pleasure of watching you.

Rest in peace.
Posted by: nickmariners, April 30, 2013, 10:09am; Reply: 93
Very sad.

A great player in a terrific team ---  and a really nice fellow.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), April 30, 2013, 11:10am; Reply: 94
Quoted from 1mickylyons
A  truly lionhearted defender who could play a bit and scored some important goals for Town and was one of my idols when groing up RIP .

Yep, pretty much sums it up for me.  :B
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 30, 2013, 11:17am; Reply: 95
He is also remembered very fondly by Southampton fans who are suggesting a minutes applause in the 5th minute (Kev's shirt number) in their forthcoming game against Stoke City and I'm sure the club itself will also be doing something official.

It's just a shame our season has finished and us fans cannot pay our respects in unison.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10387752.Ex_Saint_Kevin_Moore_passes_away/
Posted by: stuart brace was king, April 30, 2013, 11:37am; Reply: 96
Really saddened to read this yesterday; was at school with Kev and Dave.
It puts things in perspective though.  It makes you realise that life and family are so precious and  a miserably cold day culminating in penalty horror show and losing to Newport are but a sideshow in the main event of life itself.

All thoughts are with the Moore family.
RIP.
Posted by: BlackBoots, April 30, 2013, 12:30pm; Reply: 97
When football is now littered with egotistic money grabbing wasters it is sad that one of the games gentlemen has passed at such a young age.

My memories of Kev where as a young lad when we were both part of Towns youth set up. He was a couple of years older but as 14-15-16 year olds we looked up to him as he and Fordy in particular had an aura about them yet maintained an approachable yet driven demeanour.

As a player I saw him described as swashbuckling and fearless. Powerful and strong yet not the biggest.

As a man he was bright and intelligent. I chatted to him for ages once at Fulham were he was 'stadium manager' for a time.

We all have to go sometime but 55 is no age. It is even sadder, if possible, that it is suggested that his early demise may have been brought about by heading the ball.

A top player and a top man.

My thoughts are with Kevin's family at this time.

Maybe the Trust can promote the George Kerr evening as a celebration of Kevin's career whilst at GTFC, especially as it is said many of his ex team mates will be in attendance?
Posted by: DavidB, April 30, 2013, 1:23pm; Reply: 98
Very sad news, even after a difficult last few years - a quality player in a quality team, and by all accounts a quality person too.

I can only echo the many tributes and condolences in this thread.

R.I.P.
Posted by: Southernboy, May 1, 2013, 11:52am; Reply: 99
Saw him play throughout my earlier years supporting the Mariners - sad news indeed
Posted by: gobby, May 1, 2013, 1:32pm; Reply: 100
RIP Kev  :o
Posted by: GrimRob, May 1, 2013, 10:25pm; Reply: 101
The Fishy logo has been temporarily changed to reflect a time of mourning for all Mariners.....

Thanks to Chris for the idea.
Posted by: aaron rattray, May 2, 2013, 7:32pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from GrimRob
The Fishy logo has been temporarily changed to reflect a time of mourning for all Mariners.....

Thanks to Chris for the idea.

There should be a tribute article on the fishy, all mariners who has died (players)would be a good tribute
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 3, 2013, 7:13am; Reply: 103
Of all the home grown players in the Town team of the late 1970's / early 1980's Kev stood out like a beacon. Commanding on the ball, whether in the air or on the ground, a scorer of some cracking goals, and a true gentleman on and off the pitch. Has left a huge void with his passing.
Posted by: Zmariner, May 3, 2013, 7:31am; Reply: 104
RIP best central defender in my life as a town fan. A true Town legend
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 16, 2013, 2:39pm; Reply: 105
Just trawling the net looking for old Town players and stumbled upon this article

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10424685.Final_farewell_for_Saints_legend/

Kev Moore's funeral today...a final farewell to a true Town legend  :B
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 11:07am