Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 25, 2013, 9:41am
Gary Lineker, Kev Keegan, Charlie Nicolas,Andy Gray,Mark Hateley,Micky Thomas, Dean Saunders,Gazza,Alan Shearer, Trev Wymark (oh yes) there must be loads more but that's for starters.
Posted by: oldun, January 25, 2013, 9:44am; Reply: 1
Sir Stanley Matthews
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 25, 2013, 9:46am; Reply: 2
Ray Wilson
Posted by: lukeo, January 25, 2013, 9:57am; Reply: 3
Ala Shearer? ;)
Posted by: lukeo, January 25, 2013, 9:57am; Reply: 4
Alan Shearer? ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 25, 2013, 10:00am; Reply: 5
Ruud Gullit
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2013, 10:03am; Reply: 6
The only man to score in the World Cup for 2 different countries: Robert Prosinecki.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 25, 2013, 10:05am; Reply: 7
Trevor brooking, Paul Merson.
Posted by: chiumento, January 25, 2013, 10:05am; Reply: 8
Didn't Ian Wright come here with Palace towards the end of his career??
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2013, 10:06am; Reply: 9
Ashley Cole's league debut.
Posted by: vespa mariner, January 25, 2013, 10:08am; Reply: 10
Alan Ball - Southampton
Posted by: RoboCod, January 25, 2013, 10:08am; Reply: 11
Andy Cole for Bristol City (?)
David James, Watford (the most outstanding save EVER from Tony Fords effort)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2013, 10:08am; Reply: 12
Mike Newell ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 25, 2013, 10:13am; Reply: 13
Didn't Gazza play at blundell park ???
Posted by: wigworld, January 25, 2013, 10:27am; Reply: 14
Adam le Fondre
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2013, 10:28am; Reply: 15
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Yes for Burnley Chris
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2013, 10:33am; Reply: 16
All the above plus  Johnny Haynes, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Ray Clemence, Kevin Keegan,Chris Waddle, Nat Lofthouse, and little me  8),

Oh the memories, many more when I can think of them.
Posted by: grimps, January 25, 2013, 10:34am; Reply: 17
Gazza and Gullit have to have been the biggest world renowned players that ive seen at the park in my life time .Maybe Keegan too but he was a twit
Posted by: andygtfc247, January 25, 2013, 10:40am; Reply: 18
Mickey Channon - Milk Cup 1/4 final!

Bloody freezing that night but a cracking game.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 25, 2013, 11:01am; Reply: 19
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Mentioned on the initial post Chris. Are your eyes going.  ;D

Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 25, 2013, 11:03am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Les Brechin

Mentioned on the initial post Chris. Are your eyes going.  ;D

Oh yes just noticed, Obviously not Les, These early starts don't agree with me mate.. ;D
Posted by: lukeo, January 25, 2013, 11:10am; Reply: 21
Defoe ? joe Hart ? :)
Posted by: Neilo83, January 25, 2013, 11:14am; Reply: 22
Quoted from wigworld
Adam le Fondre

Eh?
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2013, 11:16am; Reply: 23
Michael Carrick
Posted by: A dingo stole my baby, January 25, 2013, 11:50am; Reply: 24
Quoted from RoboCod

Agreed - How did he keep it out!

Add to the players list - Gary Birtles, Neil Webb, Dave Beasent
Posted by: nico, January 25, 2013, 12:09pm; Reply: 25
Schmicheal (sp) and Brian laudrop for bromby in friendly in late 80s
Posted by: Kris2, January 25, 2013, 12:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Abdul19
Ashley Cole's league debut.

Remember that quite well. People in the pontoon just commented how stupid his name sounds and the rest of him being there was pretty forgettable.  

Who knew that he'd go on to be as big as he is in football.
Posted by: Caveman, January 25, 2013, 12:57pm; Reply: 27
Stan Matthews, Stan Mortenson, Frank Swift, Billy Wright, Bert Williams, Raich Carter, Billy Steel, Ted Sagar, etc,etc

Oh, and George Tweedy, Billy Cairns, Harry Betmead, Ginger Hall, Tommy Briggs, Paddy Johnston and ( in a friendly ) Jackie Bestall, to name a few

That Luton fan doesn't know what a real football club and its history is ...........
Posted by: aaron rattray, January 25, 2013, 1:03pm; Reply: 28
Robbie keane, des walker, spurs and newcastle squads
Posted by: scoregasm, January 25, 2013, 1:03pm; Reply: 29
Dale Banton and his wonderful hair lol
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 25, 2013, 1:07pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Caveman
Stan Matthews, Stan Mortenson, Frank Swift, Billy Wright, Bert Williams, Raich Carter, Billy Steel, Ted Sagar, etc,etc

Oh, and George Tweedy, Billy Cairns, Harry Betmead, Ginger Hall, Tommy Briggs, Paddy Johnston and ( in a friendly ) Jackie Bestall, to name a few

That Luton fan doesn't know what a real football club and its history is ...........

Showing your age there caveman. Biggest player i've seen play at BP has to be Ruud Gullit.
Posted by: livosnose, January 25, 2013, 1:11pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Abdul19
The only man to score in the World Cup for 2 different countries: Robert Prosinecki.

class player how he rolled it over with his foot all the time , bossed it and prob still had a homosexual at half time !
Posted by: psgmariner, January 25, 2013, 1:11pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from livosnose

class player how he rolled it over with his foot all the time , bossed it and prob still had a homosexual at half time !

Love the swear filter on here!
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 25, 2013, 1:36pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from livosnose

;D
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 25, 2013, 1:41pm; Reply: 34
Lee Nogan!! ;D
Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 25, 2013, 2:05pm; Reply: 35
Paul Futcher is the most famous and graceful footballer ever to play on the hallowed turf.

Aside from Lord Fucher, I enjoyed watching an aging but still magnificent Glenn Hoddle more than any other, blimey he could pass a football.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 25, 2013, 2:41pm; Reply: 36
Two of the greatest ever goalscorers in English football history both played at BP in the mid 1960's John Atyeo 351 goals for Bristol City, and Arthur Rowley who scored 434 goals for 4 different clubs. When we used to run the club shop, one of the directors at the time asked my old pal Sid Woodhead if he'd mind being in the company of Nat Lofthouse for the day when Bolton played at BP in the late 1980's. As they also gave him £20 for drinks the pair of them Sid was in his element.

Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 25, 2013, 3:01pm; Reply: 37
Andy Cole for Newcastle

Peter Crouch for Portsmouth

Hnmm there are lots...Paul Merson, Stan Collymore, Steve Claridge, Paolo Di Canio, Paul Robinson, Jermaine Defoe, Robbie Keane, Alan Shearer, Scott Parker to name but a few
Posted by: MrFisherman, January 25, 2013, 3:56pm; Reply: 38
Murray Jones  :)
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, January 25, 2013, 4:04pm; Reply: 39
Emlyn Hughes, Chris Nichol, George Berry, Bob Latchford
Posted by: DocDock, January 25, 2013, 5:15pm; Reply: 40
Bruce Grobbelaar for Oldham in the 1997-1998 season.

Seem to recall he got quite a fair bit of stick from people in the pontoon (people waving notes at him) but to his credit he took it all very well and had a bit of banter with the fans in the pontoon as well. Liked the way he mimicked holding a fishing rod, pretending to reel them all in.

Suppose it also helps that we lost that game 2-0 but fair play to him.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 25, 2013, 5:22pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from DocDock
Bruce Grobbelaar for Oldham in the 1997-1998 season.

Seem to recall he got quite a fair bit of stick from people in the pontoon (people waving notes at him) but to his credit he took it all very well and had a bit of banter with the fans in the pontoon as well. Liked the way he mimicked holding a fishing rod, pretending to reel them all in.

Suppose it also helps that we lost that game 2-0 but fair play to him.

Yeah forgot about Bruce, I was at that game in the Pontoon, He saw the funny side to it though..
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, January 25, 2013, 5:33pm; Reply: 42
Jason Lee
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 25, 2013, 8:15pm; Reply: 43
Stan Bowles.  A very talented player.  Good dribbler.  Great entertainer in the Rodney Marsh role.  Ace gambler, or should that be "not a good gambler".

Kevin Drinkell.  Ok included as the first player (I believe) recruited by Glasgow Rangers when they came into money and bough loads of English players.

Gary Lineker.  Gland to see him mentioned.  We could have bought him when he was a teenage. Also, Golden Boot winner at the World Cup with 8 goals.

Barry Wagstaff.  Great Hull City player in the 60s.

David Cross.  Well he scored 4 goals at Grimsby when we had a great team.
Posted by: barralad, January 25, 2013, 8:32pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from RoboCod

This with knobs on!!
Posted by: barralad, January 25, 2013, 8:35pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Ray Wilson

Played for Shrewsbury in the 71/72 League Cup run..
Posted by: RalphFilthy, January 25, 2013, 8:50pm; Reply: 46
we should extend this to ex-great players who were managers when they came here - in which case kenny daglish would be worth a mention. Any others??
Posted by: mimma, January 25, 2013, 9:26pm; Reply: 47
Joe Hart for Shrewsbury.

European Footballer of the year, Alan Simonson(sp) played for Charlton

Finidi George played for Ipswich
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2013, 9:27pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from RalphFilthy
we should extend this to ex-great players who were managers when they came here - in which case kenny daglish would be worth a mention. Any others??

Bobby Kennedy , Mike Lyons , Mike Newell, What am I saying  ;D ;D

Allenby Chilton he was towns manager when I first started watching the town.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 25, 2013, 10:08pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bobby Kennedy , Mike Lyons , Mike Newell, What am I saying  ;D ;D

Allenby Chilton he was towns manager when I first started watching the town.

Bobby Kennedy laid the foundations for Big Lawrie Mac, Pete, and he bought Sir Matt Tees back.

Posted by: barralad, January 25, 2013, 10:31pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from jock dock tower

Bobby Kennedy laid the foundations for Big Lawrie Mac, Pete, and he bought Sir Matt Tees back.

People forget that we only lost one of our last 10 games in that 70/71 season and that was against eventual champions Notts C. 1-0 to drag ourselves out of the four re-election places. In that run we won 4-0 at Northampton.

I'm struggling to think of many changes that Lawrie made when he took over-Jim Thompson in midfield the only addition I can think of. It was into 72 before he strengthened with Gauden and Chatterley.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2013, 11:02pm; Reply: 51
Bobby Kennedy was a bit unlucky, he did not have a great start but like Barralad and Jock said he moulded a good team before he got the sack,

Lawrie then turned them into champions.
Posted by: Badger57, January 25, 2013, 11:20pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Stan Bowles.  A very talented player.  Good dribbler.  Great entertainer in the Rodney Marsh role.  Ace gambler, or should that be "not a good gambler".

Kevin Drinkell.  Ok included as the first player (I believe) recruited by Glasgow Rangers when they came into money and bough loads of English players.

Gary Lineker.  Gland to see him mentioned.  We could have bought him when he was a teenage. Also, Golden Boot winner at the World Cup with 8 goals.

Barry Wagstaff.  Great Hull City player in the 60s.

David Cross.  Well he scored 4 goals at Grimsby when we had a great team.

KEN Wagstaff surely?  8)
Posted by: Badger57, January 25, 2013, 11:32pm; Reply: 53
Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter (Barnsley)  Bobby Cummings getting Hunter sent off - CLASSIC!  :)
Posted by: gaz57, January 26, 2013, 10:00am; Reply: 54
A Lennon  Spurs
Posted by: Meza, January 26, 2013, 10:13am; Reply: 55
Did Jimmy Greaves play against us or Brian Clough?
Posted by: im the daddy, January 26, 2013, 11:32am; Reply: 56
liverpool res v town res 3000 + atten not sure what year molby defo played i think doglish correct me if im wrong pls ,lost 6-0 ?
Posted by: fishcake, January 26, 2013, 11:51am; Reply: 57
Di canio
Posted by: STB, January 26, 2013, 12:15pm; Reply: 58
Alan Mayes and Andy Rowland for Swindon in the 79/80 season, known as smash and grab.
Posted by: GodHelpUs, January 26, 2013, 12:24pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from barralad

People forget that we only lost one of our last 10 games in that 70/71 season and that was against eventual champions Notts C. 1-0 to drag ourselves out of the four re-election places. In that run we won 4-0 at Northampton.

I'm struggling to think of many changes that Lawrie made when he took over-Jim Thompson in midfield the only addition I can think of. It was into 72 before he strengthened with Gauden and Chatterley.

Dave Boylen was fantastic in those last 10 games. If Kennedy hadn't insisted on carrying on playing when he was past it he may have had some success!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 26, 2013, 12:32pm; Reply: 60
Mimma, good call for Joe Hart.  I was going to add him to my contributions last night.  

Bobby Kennnedy was a player manager as well.

Allan Simonsen was a very talented player. Built like Messi. At 5 foot 5, not much bigger than our Dave.   He was Euro Footballer of the year. I used to watch in Germany play for Gladbach. He won 2 Eufa cups there.  Also starred for Barca.  I was stationed nearby and we got cheap tickets. Saw Keegan play for Hamburg there.  

I googled the next bit.  Good quiz question:  "Who is the only player to have scored in the following 3 finals:  Eurepean Cup, Eufa Cup and Cup-winners Cup?  Yes, our friend from Charlton who played at Blundell Park.

Talking of Keegan, did he or Ray Clemence ever play at BP for Scunny?  I know we beat them 7-1 with both playing, but not sure where.  (Another good quiz question there).  

Badger57, you are right.  A good memory for football facts or as old as me.  I was thinking about this last night.  Post in haste.  I know a Barry Wagstaff.  Yes, it is "Ken".  

I  nearly added other players from that excellent Hull team, but they are not as well known.  "Houghton and Chilton? I "think" that Hull might have had 5 players that scored 20 goals each in one season or 100 between them.  Only a distance memory.  I remember listening to a very good FA Cup match against Chelsea. Quarter final?

Posted by: stuart brace was king, January 26, 2013, 12:53pm; Reply: 61
I remember Jackie Charlton in a testimonial match... Harry Wainman's ??
Got the programme somewhere... Mid 70s
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 26, 2013, 1:11pm; Reply: 62
Dan Petrescu, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Tim Flowers, Muzzy Izzet, Brad Friedel, Damien Duff, Mark Hughes, Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn, Fabrizio Ravanelli, Shaun Wright Phillips
Posted by: Abdul19, January 26, 2013, 2:02pm; Reply: 63
James Milner.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2013, 2:11pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from im the daddy
liverpool res v town res 3000 + atten not sure what year molby defo played i think doglish correct me if im wrong pls ,lost 6-0 ?

I was at that game. Craig Johnson and Paul Walsh also played for them. Can't remember the score but they run us ragged.

Mid eighties.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, January 26, 2013, 2:12pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from im the daddy

I was at that too, I remember Barry Vennison playing with his blonde mullet.
Posted by: paddymariners, January 26, 2013, 2:46pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I was at that too, I remember Barry Vennison playing with his blonde mullet.

Playing with his <'(((><  ?  How bizzarre, I've only ever heard of grey or red.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 26, 2013, 2:49pm; Reply: 67
Raheem Sterling for Eng u17s.
Posted by: 1972 (Guest), January 26, 2013, 3:04pm; Reply: 68
Stevie Sherwood..  Garry Birtles....
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 26, 2013, 3:40pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from im the daddy

I got the train from Great Coates to that game, IIRC it was 1986.
Posted by: Badger57, January 26, 2013, 5:14pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Mimma, good call for Joe Hart.  I was going to add him to my contributions last night.  

Bobby Kennnedy was a player manager as well.

Allan Simonsen was a very talented player. Built like Messi. At 5 foot 5, not much bigger than our Dave.   He was Euro Footballer of the year. I used to watch in Germany play for Gladbach. He won 2 Eufa cups there.  Also starred for Barca.  I was stationed nearby and we got cheap tickets. Saw Keegan play for Hamburg there.  

I googled the next bit.  Good quiz question:  "Who is the only player to have scored in the following 3 finals:  Eurepean Cup, Eufa Cup and Cup-winners Cup?  Yes, our friend from Charlton who played at Blundell Park.

Talking of Keegan, did he or Ray Clemence ever play at BP for Scunny?  I know we beat them 7-1 with both playing, but not sure where.  (Another good quiz question there).  

Badger57, you are right.  A good memory for football facts or as old as me.  I was thinking about this last night.  Post in haste.  I know a Barry Wagstaff.  Yes, it is "Ken".  

I  nearly added other players from that excellent Hull team, but they are not as well known.  "Houghton and Chilton? I "think" that Hull might have had 5 players that scored 20 goals each in one season or 100 between them.  Only a distance memory.  I remember listening to a very good FA Cup match against Chelsea. Quarter final?

Yes, PROBABLY same age ish! LOL! Anyway, Ken Houghton and, um, um, Thingy Chilton along with Ken Wagstaff and others formed a formidable side in the late 60's, early 70's? They regularly featured along with Ipswich and Norwich on Anglia TV's show on a Sunday afternoon. Match Of The Week I think? Went to see them one Saturday when they were pushing for promotion to the 1st Division , instead of Town who were also at home that day. Shame on me!!!!  :(   Hull drew 0-0 with fellow promotion seekers Cardiff City in a very boring game whilst Town won but can't remember who they were playing. Like I said, Shame on me!!!!!   ;D
Posted by: shotandcursed, January 26, 2013, 5:21pm; Reply: 71
. . . and you know what. . . . I wouldn't swap any of that lot for a Futcher, a Cunnington, a Waters, a Ford,  a Lever, a Cummings, a Macca . . Never!

UTM
Posted by: steve1971, January 26, 2013, 5:35pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from RalphFilthy

Steve Bruce

No as a manager, but Didn't Alan Kennedy play here for Wrexham
Posted by: jaygy, January 26, 2013, 6:10pm; Reply: 73
Ian rush in a friendly for leeds in 1995 came on as sub if i remember correctly? His first game for them too i think. Was my first ever town game
Posted by: Pie face, January 27, 2013, 3:13pm; Reply: 74
Jimmy Gilligan............ What a girl private
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, January 27, 2013, 6:30pm; Reply: 75
robin friday
Posted by: newfootballer, April 27, 2013, 4:07pm; Reply: 76
Nobby Stiles when he was at Preston North End as a player coach to Bobby Charlton who also was the player Manager and who played against us when we played at Deepdale Preston later on that season.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:31am