Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), July 28, 2012, 6:01pm
Can't see another thread so here we go...

Dry bobbly pitch made it tough for passing but quick surface and small pitch gave the feel of a of a 5 a side game.

1st half
.................Fleming
Wood....Ford?....Miller...Thomas
.......Disley..Thanoj..Artus
Colbeck........Cook.......Southwell

Went with 4-3-3 today which merged into 451 but we spread the ball well and Colbeck got into the wide spaces well.

2nd half (generally)

............Fleming
YT.......Wood....Pearson...Morell
..........Hatton.......Niven
................Soares
.Southwell...G Pearson...Elding

Trlalist centre back did alright but not the biggest and would like to see him again.
Youth right back impressed me 2nd half.

MOM for me today was Southwell for control, skill and ball retention.
Think it was him who put a delightful left footed cross in for Hatton to nod home ? (who I thought did alright in the middle)

Not as top notch a perfromance as previous games(though that's a tough ask) and would have liked to see a bit more creativity on show to open up the space instead of being forced to pass back. (though maybe this was the plan to keep the ball)

But a fair perfromance and good workout and given the conditions don't think you can read too much into it either way.
Posted by: Garth, July 28, 2012, 6:13pm; Reply: 1
I too was impressed with Southwell  looks promising for the near future, IMO Cook and Colbeck are our strongest alternative on todays showing along with Southwell, Hatton alongside Niven in midfield with Thanoj as play maker would be my choice on Tuesday.Bradley has to start at RB
Posted by: cardiffmariner, July 28, 2012, 6:16pm; Reply: 2
What was the score?!
Posted by: Ollie, July 28, 2012, 6:21pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from cardiffmariner
What was the score?!

Won 4-2
Posted by: upthestripes, July 28, 2012, 6:30pm; Reply: 4
Barton looked much better than they did last year when we played them, but still I was disappointed with conceding 2 against them.
Not the best performance but by no means poor. Asked Liam if he'd be fit for Lincoln but doesn't know, "not up to me", but says his (ankle?) is much better.
Also, good to meet you FishoutofWater & Catchoftheday, nice chatting - Jonnyboy where the heck were you?! :P
Posted by: CatchOfTheDay, July 28, 2012, 6:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from upthestripes
Barton looked much better than they did last year when we played them, but still I was disappointed with conceding 2 against them.
Not the best performance but by no means poor. Asked Liam if he'd be fit for Lincoln but doesn't know, "not up to me", but says his (ankle?) is much better.
Also, good to meet you FishoutofWater & Catchoftheday, nice chatting - Jonnyboy where the heck were you? :P

Nice to meet you aswell, thought they seemed to play quite well passing the ball about also an interesting fact, their striker has scored 260 goals in 5 seasons
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 6:48pm; Reply: 6
I thought it was a tough game, Fleming could of done better with their 2 goals, did anybody see me? And thanks for the free burger  barton
Posted by: CatchOfTheDay, July 28, 2012, 6:51pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from aaron rattray
I thought it was a tough game, Fleming could of done better with their 2 goals, did anybody see me? And thanks for the free burger  barton

I'm guessing you didn't see me then ;)
Posted by: Fishfinger, July 28, 2012, 6:52pm; Reply: 8

You ask that on the fishy after EVERY game!!  ::)
Posted by: CatchOfTheDay, July 28, 2012, 6:53pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Fishfinger

You ask that on the fishy after EVERY game!!  ::)

;D
Posted by: RoboCod, July 28, 2012, 6:56pm; Reply: 10

Could we turn this into another unique Fishy thing? Along with the 'Just Back' threads could everyone who saw Aaron report it in their post? And maybe rate him out of 10?
Posted by: voice of reason, July 28, 2012, 7:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 1600
Can't see another thread so here we go...

Dry bobbly pitch made it tough for passing but quick surface and small pitch gave the feel of a of a 5 a side game.

1st half
.................Fleming
Wood....Ford?....Miller...Thomas
.......Disley..Thanoj..Artus
Colbeck........Cook.......Southwell

Went with 4-3-3 today which merged into 451 but we spread the ball well and Colbeck got into the wide spaces well.

2nd half (generally)

............Fleming
YT.......Wood....Pearson...Morell
..........Hatton.......Niven
................Soares
.Southwell...G Pearson...Elding

Trlalist centre back did alright but not the biggest and would like to see him again.
Youth right back impressed me 2nd half.

MOM for me today was Southwell for control, skill and ball retention.
Think it was him who put a delightful left footed cross in for Hatton to nod home ? (who I thought did alright in the middle)

Not as top notch a perfromance as previous games(though that's a tough ask) and would have liked to see a bit more creativity on show to open up the space instead of being forced to pass back. (though maybe this was the plan to keep the ball)

But a fair perfromance and good workout and given the conditions don't think you can read too much into it either way.

Thanks for that 80's... What would you start with for the season, from what you've seen? 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, or something different...

Pleased Southwell is doing well, think he may well get an opportunity this year and take it...

What was the goals like? Counter attack, good football or hit & hopes?
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), July 28, 2012, 7:10pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Garth
Bradley has to start at RB

I'd agree with that right now.
Sure Hatton isn't far behind (if at all) but notice he lept into a challenge again giving away a free kick.
Just doesn't look quite as defensively solid as Brad and starting to look obvious he's better in a more forward role.  
That said, hope we give him another go at right back at Lincoln.

Quoted from upthestripes
Not the best performance but by no means poor.

Agree with all that though not overly worried about the conceded goals.
Maybe lower opposition see it as their cup final while we see it as just another friendly game ?
Suppose it wasn't our first choice centre back pairing too - taking nothing away from Ford, thought Miller looked the more reassuring of the two.
(think he needs to be careful to keep goalside of his man though, slight worry one day he might get turned...).
Posted by: upthestripes, July 28, 2012, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 1600

Agree with all that though not overly worried about the conceded goals.
Maybe lower opposition see it as their cup final while we see it as just another friendly game ?
Suppose it wasn't our first choice centre back pairing too - taking nothing away from Ford, thought Miller looked the more reassuring of the two.
(think he needs to be careful to keep goalside of his man though, slight worry one day he might get turned...).

Well, I'm not 'concerned' as such, was just a little disappointed, especially when they had a good chance to equalise quite early in the second half, I thought the comeback was on and 3-3 against a side so far below us with such a strong 11 would not have been good. But ho hum, didn't happen.
Who put the cross in for the 4th 80s, did you see? Was a nice ball in.
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), July 28, 2012, 7:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from voice of reason

Thanks for that 80's... What would you start with for the season, from what you've seen? 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, or something different...

Can I say I'm still not sure ? ;)

Probably 442 but not cos of anything particualr I've seen that says 433 won't work.
Some see improved performances playing 442 as the underlying reason but think it might be more co-incidence we've improved 2nd half playing 442 after a possible "kick up the bottom" (especially vs Donny).

That said, it's more balanced and with Niven, would hope we won't be overrun in the middle.

Main concern is whether 433 could really end up as 451 and if we want to regularly win away, would prefer not see a formation that too defensive in nature (presuming it is but we may need to cover those flanks)

Though perhaps worth noting 433 often changed to 442 today when Colbeck came back to cover the right side so perhaps the 433/442 question isn't as big as we think and it's a combination of the two ?...

Quoted from voice of reason
What was the goals like? Counter attack, good football or hit & hopes?

Other will probably remember better than me.
But I'll say good football (albeit scrappy ones) 1st half and a well worked move down the right for the 4th.
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), July 28, 2012, 7:41pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from upthestripes
especially when they had a good chance to equalise quite early in the second half

Oh really ?
Went for a slash so I missed that !  :)

Quoted from upthestripes
Who put the cross in for the 4th 80s, did you see? Was a nice ball in.

Thought it was Southwell but I could be wrong. (see earlier comment)
It was certainly a great cross !  :)
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 8:01pm; Reply: 16
Southwell definitely officialy set up the 4th goal
Posted by: slide to unlock, July 28, 2012, 8:08pm; Reply: 17
Today. Well thought it was a very sloppy game by town today having player how good they have against Donny hull and scunny..

Southwell played very well.

For how good cook and g pearson was tuesday thought both was poor today didn't show any movement In behind the defence. Looked leggy if I'm honest, as did s pearson.

Thanoj has a great pass but looks as tho he doesn't want to do the other side of the game.

Keeper should have done better for both goals..

So so performances all round. Hope now they refocus ready for lincoln..
Posted by: Teesknees, July 28, 2012, 8:35pm; Reply: 18

I thought I saw you, was you eating a burger??
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 8:48pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Teesknees

Yeah before the game, i didn't even pay for it, where was you?
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2012, 8:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Teesknees

;D ;D
Posted by: cod.gtfc, July 28, 2012, 9:04pm; Reply: 21

Stood behind you, wearing a town top

Posted by: tintowner, July 28, 2012, 9:09pm; Reply: 22
People eating burgers, people wearing town tops..................that narrows it down . ;)
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 9:37pm; Reply: 23
No i didn't have a town top on, i had a black addidas jacket with red stripes down the sleeves and i was behind the goal where the cricket ground is
Posted by: cod.gtfc, July 28, 2012, 9:40pm; Reply: 24
No i didn't have a town top on, i had a black addidas jacket with red stripes down the sleeves and i was behind the goal where the cricket ground is

No the person somewhere behind you had a town top on, as did someone about 20 yards from you
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 28, 2012, 9:46pm; Reply: 25
You couldn't make this up..............
Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 28, 2012, 9:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from jock dock tower
You couldn't make this up..............

lol  ;D
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), July 28, 2012, 9:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from slide to unlock
Today. Well thought it was a very sloppy game by town today having player how good they have against Donny hull and scunny..

Southwell played very well.

For how good cook and g pearson was tuesday thought both was poor today didn't show any movement In behind the defence. Looked leggy if I'm honest, as did s pearson.

Thanoj has a great pass but looks as tho he doesn't want to do the other side of the game.

Keeper should have done better for both goals..

So so performances all round. Hope now they refocus ready for lincoln..

Won't say I noticed the same but can certainly appreciate where you're coming from.

Nearly mentioned Thanoj myself but wasn't sure what to say.
Not sure if he'll ever be a combative player but wonder if he sees himself too much in the playmaker role ?
Or perhaps that's his role but at times, he seemed to be spraying it up in the air more than he needed to.
Must admit I was wondering whether Artus in the centre might be a more combative (and creative option).
That said Andi got better as the game went on and it's all too easy to read too much into these games.

But for all the talk of huge potential has he progressed as much as we'd like or is it still to early to say ?
Not sure...

Right now perhaps it could be a tricky deicsion whether to start him or not.
On the one hand he's probably the best option to come good and young players need the experience (and ultimately the chance to sink or swim.)
But on the other hand no-one has a divine right to a starting place.

Can't say he's generally done anything wrong and I'd probably go with him but guess the others are snapping at his heels. (and that's good !  :))
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 9:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from cod.gtfc

No the person somewhere behind you had a town top on, as did someone about 20 yards from you

Oh yeah the bunch of guys 20 yards away are my mates
Posted by: Super Clive, July 28, 2012, 9:59pm; Reply: 29
;D
Posted by: lukeo, July 28, 2012, 10:03pm; Reply: 30
This is better than Lee Evans, literally can't stop laughing. What a legend.
Posted by: Teesknees, July 28, 2012, 10:31pm; Reply: 31

I was stood next to you!!

I was wearing a colostomy bag, it leaked a bit when the second goal went in!
Posted by: biggles9999, July 28, 2012, 10:38pm; Reply: 32

And even they stand 20 yards away from you?
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 28, 2012, 10:45pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from biggles9999

And even they stand 20 yards away from you?

They wanted to stand behind the goal where the net is but i didn't want too
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 28, 2012, 10:52pm; Reply: 34

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/23s6wie.jpg[/IMG]

You really are the next Barrymore.....
Posted by: biggles9999, July 28, 2012, 10:52pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Marinerz93

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/23s6wie.jpg[/IMG]

You really are the next Barrymore.....

For a split second I thought the Jarman picture had reappeared....
Posted by: lukeo, July 28, 2012, 10:54pm; Reply: 36
lol!
Posted by: cod.gtfc, July 28, 2012, 11:01pm; Reply: 37

no he was the other side 20 yards away

Posted by: Alfie, July 28, 2012, 11:03pm; Reply: 38

They wanted to stand behind the goal where the net is but i didn't want too

You sound a real hoot.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 28, 2012, 11:04pm; Reply: 39
I saw 11 blokes in Town shirts but they were on the green bit.
Posted by: gary_elton, July 28, 2012, 11:11pm; Reply: 40
those guys in town shirts... were they the bunch to the left or the right of the goal ??
Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 28, 2012, 11:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from gary_elton
those guys in town shirts... were they the bunch to the left or the right of the goal ??

is that looking from the pitch or the supporters pov?
Posted by: gary_elton, July 28, 2012, 11:14pm; Reply: 42
ahh... now depends which end you were standing....

if you were to one side... thats a whole new ball game...
Posted by: Martz86, July 29, 2012, 12:15am; Reply: 43
Considering we haven't played our best against the excrement teams, would that suggest the players aren't trying enough knowing a win is a certainty?
Posted by: upthestripes, July 29, 2012, 1:55am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Martz86
Considering we haven't played our best against the excrement teams, would that suggest the players aren't trying enough knowing a win is a certainty?

Certainly a possibility. OR, they just don't cope well with 'in-your-face' sides. Bloody hope that's not the case or we're going nowhere again.
Posted by: aaron rattray, July 29, 2012, 6:39am; Reply: 45
Im talking about the bunch of lads directly behind the goal where the cricket ground is, anyway hoping for a better peformance against Lincoln
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 29, 2012, 2:00pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from upthestripes

Certainly a possibility. OR, they just don't cope well with 'in-your-face' sides. Bloody hope that's not the case or we're going nowhere again.

Good to put a face to a name and chatting yesterday mate...

I don't think we can read too much into our own performance really other than that were neat and tidy and gave us a good game (for their level maybe) but in a competitive game we could step up if needed

Take your point about the "in your face" teams but I'm hoping now we have the likes of Cook and Niven to give us a bit of a presence we won't be anyone's pushovers

Posted by: upthestripes, July 29, 2012, 2:18pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good to put a face to a name and chatting yesterday mate...

Yes mate it certainly was :) Although I did forget to nag you about getting the Anthology videos, knew there was something  ;D

Quoted Text
I don't think we can read too much into our own performance really other than that were neat and tidy and gave us a good game (for their level maybe) but in a competitive game we could step up if needed

Take your point about the "in your face" teams but I'm hoping now we have the likes of Cook and Niven to give us a bit of a presence we won't be anyone's pushovers

You're probably right mate, just me getting cynical and moany in my old age! I just feel like the pressure is really on this year.

Posted by: indianwells, July 29, 2012, 2:46pm; Reply: 48
Expectation certainly is high this year. I'm not sure investment can be sustained for another season so "going for it" seems to be the theme for next season. My logic may be flawed but on that basis I have placed 50 English pounds at 9/1 on us winning the BSP this time round. :)
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:27pm