Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 3, 2012, 7:22am
According to a Town tweet.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 3, 2012, 7:25am; Reply: 1
It's on the back page of today Telegraph too. Bosses decided not to renew his contract.
Posted by: aaron rattray, May 3, 2012, 7:25am; Reply: 2
Bad desicion, very bad
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 3, 2012, 7:27am; Reply: 3
Quoted from aaron rattray
Bad desicion, very bad

Inclined to agree - see my other thread
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 3, 2012, 7:31am; Reply: 4
What is the point of having when we have a better right back anyway. Pace vs Silk did not go well at all, UTM!
Posted by: ticker_1610, May 3, 2012, 7:39am; Reply: 5
Didn't like him as a person, unlike Artus, Elding and Pearson even Churchy, but as a RB when fit he was the better defender out of him and Woods. His crossing was also very good. Just hope we have replacements lined up. Just wondering if anyone else had imput into the decisions on a footballing basis, AB?
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 3, 2012, 7:39am; Reply: 6
I thought he was the best crosser of the ball in the team. He used to put some great balls over and we've scored a fair few goals from them too.
Posted by: kingster72, May 3, 2012, 7:41am; Reply: 7
I'm pleased he's gone, disappointed in too many games and didn't look interested. We can do better.  Just need Ianson to sign and it should be a good start to the squad sorting for next season.

Posted by: gobby, May 3, 2012, 7:51am; Reply: 8
Sorry to see Silk go, not the fastest but a better RB than anyone else we have. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: RoboCod, May 3, 2012, 7:53am; Reply: 9
Another ex-Mansfield...wonder how many Holdsworth could woo over to Lincoln out of Silk, Garner, and Duffy? (Duffy looks likely)
S&H must have someone else lined up, agree with Les, his crossing was excellent and he seemed an integral part of the Town team that stormed into that winning run at the start of the year.
Posted by: Biccys, May 3, 2012, 7:53am; Reply: 10
Shame. He's by far and away a better defender than Bradders and as others have said, his crossing was very good, especially from deep positions. If Brad is to be the right back, he's going to get som coaching from the managers (Wasn't Hurst a full back?) and Stockdale. They should be able to mould him quite readily. This is all assuming he will be their first choice rb and they haven't got someone else lined up.

Good luck Silky.
Posted by: Meza, May 3, 2012, 8:15am; Reply: 11
Unfortunately I can see it from the managers point of view they haven't got time for average players it's their neck on the line afterall.  We have brads but I've been told we've already been contacted by players agents.
Posted by: Tommy, May 3, 2012, 8:22am; Reply: 12
Quite surprised at this.

A bad move in my opinion. A quality, solid defender with decent use of the ball. Much better player than Wood at this moment in time.

It makes me laugh how people don't rate Silk because he's not quick, and prefer Wood because he can run around a lot more and is aggressive.

Pace does not equal quality.
Posted by: Meza, May 3, 2012, 8:27am; Reply: 13
I knew this on Monday from saturday's viewing definately not good enough, I don't care if he played well in some games we haven't got time to carry people, better options out there.
Posted by: boston fan, May 3, 2012, 8:49am; Reply: 14
I have been told Silk has gone for the same reason as Garner. That being wood is still under contract and silk wasnt, Pearson is under contract and garner wasnt ie easy to get rid
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 3, 2012, 8:54am; Reply: 15
Doesn't necessarily mean an automatic place for Wood. They may have a signing in mind. In any case, even if Silk is a reasonable RB he isn't going to get any better or faster.
Posted by: Biccys, May 3, 2012, 9:01am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Tommy
Quite surprised at this.

A bad move in my opinion. A quality, solid defender with decent use of the ball. Much better player than Wood at this moment in time.

It makes me laugh how people don't rate Silk because he's not quick, and prefer Wood because he can run around a lot more and is aggressive.

Pace does not equal quality.

Exactly. Theo Walcott? Fast as lightning, can't pass or cross to save his life.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 3, 2012, 9:06am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Biccys

Exactly. Theo Walcott? Fast as lightning, can't pass or cross to save his life.

Yeah, that's why he's only played 150 games for Arsenal, scoring every 6 games from the wing. Rubbish.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2012, 9:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Meza
I knew this on Monday from saturday's viewing definately not good enough, I don't care if he played well in some games we haven't got time to carry people, better options out there.

So we haven't got time to carry Silk but have got to time to carry Wood? Silk is a much better right back.
Posted by: bax, May 3, 2012, 9:34am; Reply: 19
They've already got someone else lined up as first choice RB.
Posted by: Super Clive, May 3, 2012, 9:39am; Reply: 20
Good decision Scott and hurst...I await who they bring in..
Posted by: TheCurlyMariner12, May 3, 2012, 9:41am; Reply: 21
Very shocked they've let him go, thought he was a qualitiy player at this level.
Posted by: TheCurlyMariner12, May 3, 2012, 9:42am; Reply: 22
Quoted from bax
They've already got someone else lined up as first choice RB.

Any idea who they're looking at too replace him ?
Posted by: psgmariner, May 3, 2012, 9:43am; Reply: 23
Very much replaceable from what I saw of him. Ok Conference player but hopefully a young, hungry and cheap non league trier will take his place and bust a gut for the cause.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 3, 2012, 9:55am; Reply: 24
I quite liked him but I'll save any disappointment about him going depending on who's brought in. Maybe Hull have a right -footed Townsend lined up for us or maybe the managers have identified a rough diamond from the league below who they think has potential. We'll see.
Posted by: Maringer, May 3, 2012, 10:02am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Yeah, that's why he's only played 150 games for Arsenal, scoring every 6 games from the wing. Rubbish.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's rubbish, but he is certainly overrated.  :P

Walcott's problem is that he's not a winger as, other than enormous pace, he doesn't have the correct attributes. He's not that good at crossing and isn't tricky, either. At international level, pace alone isn't enough to be a successful winger. Ultimately, I can see him playing a Michael Owen-style poacher role as he's a good finisher. The problem is that he's not going to get the chance to play in this manner at Arsenal where being good in possession is the most important attribute.

Anyway, back on to Silk.

My guess is that his lack of pace means that he doesn't fit into the managers' preferred 4-3-3 formation. If you've only got three in the middle, you could do with some pace at the back to help close spaces down quickly when the opposition are breaking. Watching Silk jogging back from attacking positions this season when the opposition has been on the break has been painful at times.

I'm happy enough with Wood as first choice right-back though there is still room for improvement in his game.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 3, 2012, 10:33am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Maringer

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's rubbish, but he is certainly overrated.  :P

Who over-rates him? When was the last time you heard anybody talking him up? I think initially he was over-rated but I think it's now swung the other way to where we see comments like Biccy's suggesting he has nothing other than pace. Strange that Wenger keeps picking him and he has 8 goals and 8 assists for the team in 3rd place in the Premiership. No Michael Coulson obviously but not a bad record.

I do agree with you that he struggles to fit comfortably into any one position, certainly at Arsenal.
Posted by: Maringer, May 3, 2012, 10:53am; Reply: 27
Don't worry about it - I've been having a discussion elsewhere with a lad who thinks Walcott is world-class and I've been trying to point out to him that he isn't. My comments were just a continuation of that.

The lad in question is a fan of T'Owls, however, which perhaps goes some way to explaining his delusion...  ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 3, 2012, 11:00am; Reply: 28
No probs - I'm probably similarly set the other way - my mates a big Arsenal fan and he can scapegoat players to Grimsby Town fan standard. His current hate-figure is Walcott and whenever I've watched a game with him he follows Walcott in a hawk-like manner revelling in any mistake he makes. I watched the North London derby with him and I swear he was a tiny bit disappointed when Walcott scored his goals.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 3, 2012, 11:47am; Reply: 29
I quite liked him but I'll save any disappointment about him going depending on who's brought in. Maybe Hull have a right -footed Townsend lined up for us or maybe the managers have identified a rough diamond from the league below who they think has potential. We'll see.

good summing up of my thoughts rodley. imho was a safer, more reliable r/b than wood. if only stockdale, hurst and mcdermott could only rub off some of their ability onto him;then we'd have a decent right back! i suspect that there will be several young, enthusiatic ,athletic r/b's out there either in this division or in bsp north
Posted by: AndyGTFC, May 3, 2012, 1:00pm; Reply: 30
Bit surprised by this. I like Silk. He's a very solid defender and I thought he was a better right back than Wood. If we can get someone better in then it won't matter but still, he hasn't done too much wrong.
Posted by: Garth, May 3, 2012, 1:08pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Bit surprised by this. I like Silk. He's a very solid defender and I thought he was a better right back than Wood. If we can get someone better in then it won't matter but still, he hasn't done too much wrong.

WHS,  however being injury prone did not help him
Posted by: prestonmariner, May 3, 2012, 1:17pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Garth

WHS,  however being injury prone did not help him

Ye, i think Silk's tendency to get injured hasn't helped his cause. Shame though, great player to have in your squad.
Posted by: Fishfinger, May 3, 2012, 4:40pm; Reply: 33
Annoyed by this, to be honest. I thought he was more than capable at RB and preferred him to Wood. I really hope the managers can bring in someone better than Wood
Posted by: mariner2000, May 3, 2012, 6:39pm; Reply: 34

Sorry must agree with Biccy's if he could pass and cross he would have played 300 and scored 60.  He is very one dimensional. Run Run Run
Posted by: biggles9999, May 3, 2012, 7:09pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mariner2000

Sorry must agree with Biccy's if he could pass and cross he would have played 300 and scored 60.  He is very one dimensional. Run Run Run

Yeah, world football is littered with players who have played 300 games by the age of 23 for a top side in the country....

For the record hes been at Arsenal 6 seasons and played in 219 games, scoring 42 goals. Along with 42 caps for England at different levels along the way. I cant think of many players who have played nearly 300 games (when you factor in Southampton) just after their 23rd birthday.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 3, 2012, 7:14pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from AndyGTFC

WHS
Posted by: Shithouse Rat, May 3, 2012, 7:25pm; Reply: 37
Not bothered to see him go.  An average player who would drift out of a game if he made a mistake or got beat by a player.  
Posted by: mr viv, May 3, 2012, 8:35pm; Reply: 38
I have said many a time on here he was poor,the 1st time being his horrific display at york away. To be fair to the lad he did improve to just above average,but all in all another injury prone journeyman who has entered his name into our enormous endless list!!
Posted by: rancido, May 3, 2012, 8:40pm; Reply: 39
Not completely surprised he has been released. He was only signed on a 1 year contract which gives The Dynamic Duo time to completely assess a player that looked promising. He hasn't come up to the level they thought so let go. I'm sure they will have another RB in their sights in the same way they will have a replacement for I'Anson/Garner.
Posted by: Pelham, May 3, 2012, 10:02pm; Reply: 40
Brilliant! Flipping brilliant. They get rid of a really good right back, splendid crosser of the ball, in order to play 4-3-3 rubbish. Thank God they will be sacked soon enough.
Posted by: Shithouse Rat, May 3, 2012, 10:05pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Pelham
Brilliant! Flipping brilliant. They get rid of a really good right back, splendid crosser of the ball, in order to play 4-3-3 rubbish. Thank God they will be sacked soon enough.

Silk was in and out of a mid-table side in the BSP, I don't think that qualifies him as being brilliant at anything.  You also seem to be venting your spleen at assumption, unless of course you know for sure that Town will be playing 4-3-3 next season.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2012, 10:06pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Pelham

I'm pretty sure 4-3-3 still has a need for a right back that can cross. So I don't think this is the reason.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 3, 2012, 10:09pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Pelham

WUM.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, May 3, 2012, 10:26pm; Reply: 44
Thought Silk was solid enough, but it was evident as early as pre season that he was a yard off the pace. he just wasn't quick enough and we were made to pay for this at times when we played against anyone with pacey wingers. He often made up for his lack of pace with decent positioning, but at times that meant him sitting 5 yards deeper into our half than needed. We had a lack of attacking intent down the right hand side, often with Silk not venturing much further than the half way line, and no overlap of the winger. It's a shame he didn't have more pace and better fitness to get up and down the wing as he could deliver a good quality ball which led to several goals in the last 3rd of the season. But getting forward was always at a cost and left us exposed at the back.

I would have been content enough to see him here next year, but the fact he's been released shows the ambition of the 2 managers. They won't settle for average, and won't settle for middle of the road performances. I'm confident we'll see a pacey full back come in with a nasty streak in him Bradley Wood style.

just on the nasty streak point. For years the team have been too soft, mentally, physically and in the challenge. We need to be dirtier, rougher, harder in the tackle and nastier all over the pitch. Last season we were kicked off the park by Fleetwood. A team of bullies who would never go up we said. oh dear. I want to see us be harder, dirtier, nastier and more street wise next year please.
Posted by: aaron rattray, May 4, 2012, 7:38am; Reply: 45
Damien mccrory from dagenham, used to play for us on loan and Did well, could he come in?
Posted by: davmariner, May 4, 2012, 1:46pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from aaron rattray
Damien mccrory from dagenham, used to play for us on loan and Did well, could he come in?

Good left back and Dagenham's first choice left back in the league above. He went back down their as I seem to remember that his family are up there and that he wanted to stay in the football league. Why the hell would he come here?
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 12:30pm