Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 28, 2012, 5:24pm
For another Season of non league football how do you sleep at night
Posted by: topuphere666, April 28, 2012, 5:26pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Not entirely his fault this season.

It wasn't his fault the players couldn't get the right results from march till now.

We had unfortunate injuries and silly suspensions.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, April 28, 2012, 5:29pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from topuphere666

Not entirely his fault this season.

It wasn't his fault the players couldn't get the right results from march till now.

We had unfortunate injuries and silly suspensions.

and terrible refs like the one at fleetwood
Posted by: Super Clive, April 28, 2012, 5:30pm; Reply: 3
Sonik has assured me hearn will be here next season ;)

Things are moving forward as I expected fairly slow but they are.

UCUNT

Posted by: 2578 (Guest), April 28, 2012, 6:15pm; Reply: 4
Another sharp object another fenty hate post, go and play with roundballs you can both slag fenty off to each other until your hearts content then you might feel a bit better.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 28, 2012, 6:20pm; Reply: 5
Better Mr Fenty than Mr Singh (Darlington).
Posted by: Ipswin, April 28, 2012, 7:02pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

At least he fu(ked off and please please don't let's start blaming injuries, suspensions and referees. Mid table at best and that is all we were ever going to be, the play-off talk was always stupid ill-informed wishful thinking
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), April 28, 2012, 7:05pm; Reply: 7
And what happens when he f'cks off and we have nothing. Oh yeah cause everybody wants to buy a non league team dont they, get a grip.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 28, 2012, 7:16pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 1739
And what happens when he f'cks off and we have nothing. Oh yeah cause everybody wants to buy a non league team dont they, get a grip.

And under whose control did we become a non-league team? And under whose control are we likely to remain so?

There has been no improvement in terms of league position and returning to the Football League only the relegation routine has been broken (for a couple of seasons at least.)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 28, 2012, 7:19pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 1739

Didn't really want to waste my 2000th post, but just look at who has caused non-league status, perpetrated non-league status and caused a mountain of unsustainable debt.
Posted by: DarlingtonFC1883, April 28, 2012, 8:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Agreed.
Posted by: newfootballer, April 28, 2012, 8:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 290[b
]For another Season of non league football how do you sleep at night UCUNT

[/b]

Look I have to reply to this post, could you verify whether you are  a young person or even a old person who has got to get the frustrations out of his system, you have put a word in your post which is appalling.
Maybe I should not reply and just ignore your post, are you one of these people who are aged around eleven who come on the Fishy make these comments under a name and Post what ever they want because you do not have to put in your real name.
Well John Fenty on this site has took some stick over the last few years, and he has been brave enough to face the accusers in the press head on which I greatly admire him for.

Let me take your quote
(ANOTHER SEASON OF NON LEAGUE  FOOTBALL HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT)

I was at the presentation night last week Paul Hurst spoke up and mentioned that in the year previous he was sat in the McMenemy room and could not bring himself up to say how they would perform in the forthcoming season, simply because the two Managers had to get rid of a lot of players that they had inherited.

This year and these were his words the players that are here to night are players that we have brought to the club, and in the first season of having our own players to be accountable we have just missed out on the play/offs.

Yes I am peronally dissapointed we did not get out of this horrible league this season but we are moving in the right direction and with a couple of signings in the summer I feel we could be up there with a strong challenge to get promoted next season

For please sake get of the John Fenty`s back. If I was him I would not want to put up with the crazy remarks and accusations that are pointed in his direction,

There could be a danger that all the rubbished thats slung at him he will get fed up and leave the club, then what would we do

NEWFOOTBALLER
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), April 28, 2012, 8:28pm; Reply: 12
Yes he got us into this mess and he has admitted that but has anyone got the money to get us out of this mess. Do you think anyone who is a serious Town fan or know what he is doing be prepared to invest a million a year into a non league football club?
Posted by: Pelham, April 28, 2012, 8:37pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from newfootballer

[/b]

Look I have to reply to this post, could you verify whether you are  a young person or even a old person who has got to get the frustrations out of his system, you have put a word in your post which is appalling.
Maybe I should not reply and just ignore your post, are you one of these people who are aged around eleven who come on the Fishy make these comments under a name and Post what ever they want because you do not have to put in your real name.
Well John Fenty on this site has took some stick over the last few years, and he has been brave enough to face the accusers in the press head on which I greatly admire him for.

Let me take your quote

I was at the presentation night last week Paul Hurst spoke up and mentioned that in the year previous he was sat in the McMenemy room and could not bring himself up to say how they would perform in the forthcoming season, simply because the two Managers had to get rid of a lot of players that they had inherited.

This year and these were his words the players that are here to night are players that we have brought to the club, and in the first season of having our own players to be accountable we have just missed out on the play/offs.

Yes I am peronally dissapointed we did not get out of this horrible league this season but we are moving in the right direction and with a couple of signings in the summer I feel we could be up there with a strong challenge to get promoted next season

For please sake get of the John Fenty`s back. If I was him I would not want to put up with the crazy remarks and accusations that are pointed in his direction,

There could be a danger that all the rubbished thats slung at him he will get fed up and leave the club, then what would we do

NEWFOOTBALLER

Rubbish. They havent 'just missed out' they've failed miserably. If Hurst genuinely said he thought last year's team were worse then he is a cretin.

Posted by: aaron rattray, April 28, 2012, 8:41pm; Reply: 14
At least i use my real name, and i give slot of personal info out unlike pelham and others
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 28, 2012, 8:44pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Pelham

Rubbish. They havent 'just missed out' they've failed miserably. If Hurst genuinely said he thought last year's team were worse then he is a cretin.

Or maybe they haven't 'failed miserably' maybe they have just failed (this season).  And BTW, if you haven't failed then my friend you have never tried.  

BTW, I'd love to see you call Hurst a cretin to his face, I really would.
Posted by: TAGG, April 28, 2012, 9:14pm; Reply: 16
TOPUPHERE666
"We had unfortunate injuries and silly suspensions"

MARINER RONNIE
"and terrible refs like the one at fleetwood"--- FFS get a grip both of you.

NEWFOOTBALLER
"There could be a danger that all the rubbished thats slung at him he will get fed up and leave the club"--- Good I hope he felicitations off tomorrow the girl private. There will always be someone to step in.

We have FAILEDanyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. We never came close.    

Posted by: Garth, April 28, 2012, 9:34pm; Reply: 17
Same old same old from the anti JF brigade, well spoken Dave every one has an opinion its a message board, you never hear too much from them when the results are in our favour
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, April 28, 2012, 9:36pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 1mickylyons
For another Season of non league football how do you sleep at night UCUNT

Out of order you moron.  Irrespective of your thoughts on the team's / club's performance there is no need for that.....or should I just call you a wank3r?
Posted by: sonik, April 28, 2012, 10:02pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Saddened and annoyed that we have to put up with remarks such as this.  WHY?
Posted by: TAGG, April 28, 2012, 10:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Garth
Same old same old from the anti JF brigade, well spoken Dave every one has an opinion its a message board, you never hear too much from them when the results are in our favour

Just look at TOTW he has loads of votes every week.
Why can't all the Fenty bum lickers get it through there heads that its been yet another season of embarrassment & failure with him in charge.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 28, 2012, 10:07pm; Reply: 21

Paul Hurst spoke up and these were his words in the first season of having our own players  we have just missed out on the play/offs.

NEWFOOTBALLER

If he thinks that he is even more deluded than I thought. We didn't 'just miss out' - we weren't in the same street FFS

I do however agree with you that it is totally inappropriate to call Fenty 'a c*nt'

C*nts are useful

Posted by: GTFC R MASSIVE, April 28, 2012, 10:18pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Put your money where your mouth is - or shut up.
Posted by: ska face, April 28, 2012, 10:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from GTFC R MASSIVE

Put your money where your mouth is - or shut up.

I imagine he does, every Saturday, like thousands more of us.
Posted by: Pelham, April 28, 2012, 10:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Devonmatt

Or maybe they haven't 'failed miserably' maybe they have just failed (this season).  And BTW, if you haven't failed then my friend you have never tried.  

BTW, I'd love to see you call Hurst a cretin to his face, I really would.

Do you think he'd ask me ow to spell it?
Posted by: newfootballer, April 28, 2012, 10:54pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ipswin

If he thinks that he is even more deluded than I thought. We didn't 'just miss out' - we weren't in the same street FFS

I do however agree with you that it is totally inappropriate to call Fenty 'a c*nt'

C*nts are useful

Alright Mr.Bill Shankly

I suppose you have got all the answers, where was you when we went on a fifteen run with out getting beat something we have not done for a long time, You had your head in the sand to cover your tonge probally which kept it shut for fifteen games.
Sad to have ago at John Fenty especially with the terminology that as been used shame on you.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Posted by: STB, April 29, 2012, 12:12am; Reply: 26
I think JF has done his best to be fair.

Whether his best has been good enough for GTFC is another issue.

Personally, I think we are in a bit of a rut as we have no new ideas and very little chance of fresh investment.

If we can hang on to our better players and bring in a few decent replacements for the ones who leave, we may have a chance to push on next season but we will need a bit of luck as well.

IMHO, the remaining three from the playoffs will be up there again along with FGR and a couple of surprise teams, hopefully, one of them can be us.
Posted by: tashee69, April 29, 2012, 1:27am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Ipswin

And under whose control did we become a non-league team? And under whose control are we likely to remain so?

There has been no improvement in terms of league position and returning to the Football League only the relegation routine has been broken (for a couple of seasons at least.)

Did you play the part of Private Fraser in Dads Army. We're Doomed !! (surrender)
Posted by: wmacky200, April 29, 2012, 7:27am; Reply: 28
y do people always blame john fenty when results dont go our way. he doesnt buy the players we have, he doesnt play the games we have...this 1 guy is the reason we still have a football club at all. i for 1 think that town have moved up alot since the last year and i really enjoyed the games i managed to get to this year. i think with a couple more additions (MIDFIELD) then we got a great chance next year oh yeah and whos going to be paying for these new additions....Mr Fenty so lay of the poor fella coz if it was me who kept getting all the abuse i would just take my money and intercourse off, but Fenty wont because he loves GTFC like we all do. So get behind the Mariners and lets start next season with a bang
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 29, 2012, 8:29am; Reply: 29
Quoted from wmacky200
y do people always blame john fenty when results dont go our way. he doesnt buy the players we have, he doesnt play the games we have...this 1 guy is the reason we still have a football club at all. i for 1 think that town have moved up alot since the last year and i really enjoyed the games i managed to get to this year. i think with a couple more additions (MIDFIELD) then we got a great chance next year oh yeah and whos going to be paying for these new additions....Mr Fenty so lay of the poor fella coz if it was me who kept getting all the abuse i would just take my money and intercourse off, but Fenty wont because he loves GTFC like we all do. So get behind the Mariners and lets start next season with a bang

Highly amusing. Just think that we've got rid of our most potent midfield threat because of money....or lack of it!
Posted by: mariner2000, April 29, 2012, 9:49am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Pelham

I've never read such tosh on this board, this years team are a million times better than last years, it may not be reflected in league position at the moment but I know this seasons team would have played last seasons off the park.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2012, 10:23am; Reply: 31
Quoted from wmacky200
y do people always blame john fenty when results dont go our way.

Because he controls the club, he owns it, no one farts unless he says so. He has made it so that everything is dependent on him and his wallet. He appoints the managers, he agrees their player purchases. He can't have it both ways. In a dictatorship the buck has to stop with the top man.

Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2012, 10:43am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Ipswin

Because he controls the club, he owns it, no one farts unless he says so. He has made it so that everything is dependent on him and his wallet. He appoints the managers, he agrees their player purchases. He can't have it both ways. In a dictatorship the buck has to stop with the top man.

Agree 100%
I cant understand all these people that want to lick his bottom.
If we fail again next season I hope we go into Admin so all the excrement in the Boardroom can be cleaned out for someone else can step in and sort this club out.
Before anyone says it, no I dont know who will take on this club but there will be someone out there.
Fenty out out out
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2012, 10:51am; Reply: 33

I suppose you have got all the answers, where was you when we went on a fifteen run with out getting beat something we have not done for a long time, NEWFOOTBALLER

I'm not paid to have the answers. I don't have total control of Grimsby Town Football Club.
A 15 match unbeaten run is a total waste if they can't put two wins together for the rest of the season.
It doesn't matter if it's a 15, 20 or even 25 match unbeaten run if we finish in 11th place, 11 points off the last play-off position. Call that a 'near miss' ?
The biggest problems at Blundell Park are blind (stupid) optimism refusing to recognise the true situation and then regarding failure and second best as acceptable

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 29, 2012, 11:00am; Reply: 34

I suppose you have got all the answers, where was you when we went on a fifteen run with out getting beat something we have not done for a long time, You had your head in the sand to cover your tonge probally which kept it shut for fifteen games.

NEWFOOTBALLER

I understand your loyalty Dave, but it's a little misplaced. We beat and drew with teams at our level or below during that run - no-one significant enough for us to think that the play-offs were anything other than an outside chance.

Surely you are wise enough to realise that the club is in hock to Mr Fenty, who seems to have ditched the Chairman tag for that of Supreme Emperor. We are 11th in the 5th tier of English football, a far cry from the days when we would have given the likes of Reading & West Ham a game, and as far as I can see we will continue to be in the 5th tier for some time, assuming we can't afford to keep the likes of Michael Coulson.
Posted by: cleefish, April 29, 2012, 11:11am; Reply: 35
Quoted from 1mickylyons

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
(Here we go again so called fans who open their mouth with out thinking ) we are very lucky that Fenty pours his wealth into the club many chairmen would have walked by now  just look at other clubs around us in this league and see no the players should get all the abuse not the chairman things have not gone right this last part of the season because of having in charge very poor officials.
Also the players not only let down the fans they let down the club they got in their minds that after so many wins clean sheets that this league was a cake walk well they became lazy and dropped down the table
unable to catch up  time for a good clear out.
I don't mind if we spend 2 more seasons down here if it means getting the sqaud right as IMHO  S&H are the right management team and we have some top young players here already so thing are not so bad we never got our share of luck.UTMM. :) ;)
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 11:16am; Reply: 36
Quoted from cleefish

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
(Here we go again PRATTS who open their mouth with out thinking ) we are very lucky that Fenty pours his wealth into the club many chairmen would have walked by now  just look at other clubs around us in this league and see no the players should get all the abuse not the chairman things have not gone right this last part of the season because of having in charge very poor officials.
Also the players not only let down the fans they let down the club they got in their minds that after so many wins clean sheets that this league was a cake walk well they became lazy and dropped down the table
I don't mind if we spend 2 more seasons down here if it means getting the sqaud right as IMHO  S&H are the right management team and we have some top young players here already so thing are not so bad we never got our share of luck.UTMM. :) ;)

Maybe you should take some of your own advice...
  ;)

Very lucky indeed, I mean look at the success he has brought with his money and pearls of wisdom...
  ??)

Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 29, 2012, 11:19am; Reply: 37
S&H are definatley the right guys for the job as are the majority of players we have here, i just feel we need a complete clear out of the backroom staff/facilities. We now have something to build on with the playing management squad we have we just need to get in modern times and start acting like a professional once proud football outfit if that means a new stadium/training facillities then thats what we'll have to do.if only pigs could fly eh!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), April 29, 2012, 11:24am; Reply: 38
Because if you have spent alot of your history in the football league you bounce back in the first two seasons. Halifax, Mansield , Luton , Lincoln , Stockport , York, Darlo  have all shown this  :-/
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 29, 2012, 11:26am; Reply: 39
Quoted from 1739
Because if you have spent alot of your history in the football league you bounce back in the first two seasons. Halifax, Mansield , Luton , Lincoln , Stockport , York, Darlo  have all shown this  :-/

Maybe you should have told Fenty this when he gave Woods a big playing budget two years ago - talk about being selective with your facts!
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), April 29, 2012, 11:31am; Reply: 40
Right decision to invest but unfortunately the wrong manager.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 11:34am; Reply: 41
Quoted from 1600

who S & H ?
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 11:35am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 1600

The wrong manager, who, got the sack whilst having the team in a better place than these two, who, most seem to think the sun shines out of their bottom....

This isn't a pop at the two managers, its a fact... One that certain people ignore...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 29, 2012, 11:38am; Reply: 43
S&H are definatley the right guys for the job as are the majority of players we have here, i just feel we need a complete clear out of the backroom staff/facilities. We now have something to build on with the playing management squad we have we just need to get in modern times and start acting like a professional once proud football outfit if that means a new stadium/training facillities then thats what we'll have to do.if only pigs could fly eh!

...and start by getting the Osmond end clock fixed/replaced.

If it is still stuck at 8.55 in August I will pay to have it replaced myself.

We cant be bothered to put a stadium clock right - tells you everything really.Make do and mend and a complete lack of foundation laid for any sort of success.

Whilst we have stood still in time (literally!!) other clubs much smaller than us have got their act together and have left us far behind.  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 11:41am; Reply: 44
Quoted from sonik

Saddened and annoyed that we have to put up with remarks such as this.  WHY?

most people i talk to dont have anything positive to say about jon fenty (con)
Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 29, 2012, 11:52am; Reply: 45

...and start by getting the Osmond end clock fixed/replaced.

If it is still stuck at 8.55 in August I will pay to have it replaced myself.

We cant be bothered to put a stadium clock right - tells you everything really.Make do and mend and a complete lack of foundation laid for any sort of success.

Whilst we have stood still in time (literally!!) other clubs much smaller than us have got their act together and have left us far behind.  

may sound daft but doing something of the sort could actually see a change in fortune,its the little things that count FIX THE OSMOND CLOCK CAMPAIGN
Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2012, 11:52am; Reply: 46

They have done no better than Woods.
If management duos were the way to go everyone would have them. Sack one of em and save some money for players.
The last few games have summed them up for me. Total lack of organisation on the pitch.
I cant understand that we have a striker with 29 goals and they play him out wide where hes anomymous. Makes me think that after that spat when he was injured they are punishing him.  
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2012, 11:53am; Reply: 47
Quoted from cleefish

things have not gone right this last part of the season because of having in charge very poor officials.
thing are not so bad we never got our share of luck.UTMM. :) ;)

Oh FFS

Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 29, 2012, 11:55am; Reply: 48
Quoted from TAGG

They have done no better than Woods.
If management duos were the way to go everyone would have them. Sack one of em and save some money for players.
The last few games have summed them up for me. Total lack of organisation on the pitch.
I cant understand that we have a striker with 29 goals and they play him out wide where hes anomymous. Makes me think that after that spat when he was injured they are punishing him.  

A squad of kempson,arthur,ridley,ademeno,hudson etc i know which squad i'd rather have
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:00pm; Reply: 49

A squad of kempson,arthur,ridley,ademeno,hudson etc i know which squad i'd rather have

Me too... The one that finishes higher in the league... Now which one was that?
Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2012, 12:02pm; Reply: 50

Well the question is why have S&H & there squad not done any better than this lot?
Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 29, 2012, 12:07pm; Reply: 51
at least now going into next season there is a bit of belief, under woods there wasn't we was still living in the past,the club wasnt going anywhere, we appointed the cheap option and signed journeymen.A backbone of a side such as mkeown,miller,thanoj and hearn would beat that excrement we have had tp put up with for many a season hands down.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:08pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from TAGG

Well the question is why have S&H & there squad not done any better than this lot?

if woods had been left in charge we would have flirted with relegation this season il give you a quote from a player at the club (whos no longer withus) "hes a really good guy who knows his stuff but just cannot command the respect of the players"
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), April 29, 2012, 12:08pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

who S & H ?

No Woods.
This time round I fear it's gonna be a case of right managers, wrong decision not to invest.
Posted by: Garth, April 29, 2012, 12:08pm; Reply: 54

And most people I talk to do, lets face it you are one of the few noisy minority,  stones rattling in empty cans ;D
Posted by: cleefish, April 29, 2012, 12:09pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from voice of reason

Maybe you should take some of your own advice...
  ;)

Very lucky indeed, I mean look at the success he has brought with his money and pearls of wisdom...
  ??)

;D ;D;D.maybe with a name like your perhaps you could give him some good advice its ok coming on here saying things but how long have you been a fan going to games 1945 me with my dad and his ship m8s
so I have seen both good and bad and had some moans along the way I am not perfect but one sure thing I won't call for the paymasters head like many .
Because myself I do belive that the club is on a turn around with good young managers and some young talent.UTMM
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:10pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from 1600

No Woods.
This time round I fear it's gonna be a case of right managers, wrong decision not to invest.

agreed my thoughts exactly
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:15pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Garth

And most people I talk to do, lets face it you are one of the few noisy minority,  stones rattling in empty cans ;D

it beggers belief you can be happy at the way the club as been run,fenty as saddled our club with so much debt do you honestly believe anyone will come aboard and help the burden or takeover the club, and dont forget one thing the first opportunity he got to get out he tried
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), April 29, 2012, 12:17pm; Reply: 58

The wrong manager, who, got the sack whilst having the team in a better place than these two, who, most seem to think the sun shines out of their bottom....

This isn't a pop at the two managers, its a fact... One that certain people ignore...

See what you mean and I'm not ignoring it, just use a different set of benchmarks to measure progress.

Not sure if we were in such a great place when Woods got the bullet.
Personally I think we've got problems but most of them are off the field and don't read much into whether we finish 7th or 11th after the playoffs are over.
I found yesterday a bit disappointing because we always seem to perform poorly when we stick on an offer - maybe the players are gonna be flat but I'd have thought we'd have treated it like a cup final and avoided all this.
Posted by: mariner91, April 29, 2012, 12:21pm; Reply: 59

Finished higher in a weaker league. We have a lot more points this year than we did last year and have scored a lot more goals.
Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2012, 12:21pm; Reply: 60

if woods had been left in charge we would have flirted with relegation this season il give you a quote from a player at the club (whos no longer withus) "hes a really good guy who knows his stuff but just cannot command the respect of the players"

What a stupid statement.
Posted by: ska face, April 29, 2012, 12:25pm; Reply: 61

Can we just maintain a semblence of commom sense and remember that Woods was sacked mid-season - he never finished a season in this division.
Posted by: TAGG, April 29, 2012, 12:29pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from mariner91

Finished higher in a weaker league. We have a lot more points this year than we did last year and have scored a lot more goals.

The fact is we failed yet again  :(
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:30pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from 1600

See what you mean and I'm not ignoring it, just use a different set of benchmarks to measure progress.

Not sure if we were in such a great place when Woods got the bullet.
Personally I think we've got problems but most of them are off the field and don't read much into whether we finish 7th or 11th after the playoffs are over.
I found yesterday a bit disappointing because we always seem to perform poorly when we stick on an offer - maybe the players are gonna be flat but I'd have thought we'd have treated it like a cup final and avoided all this.

Sorry, wasn't specifically pointing to you...

But yeah I agree, things wasn't great when Woods was sacked... We deffo needed to improve but my point is, most of the people on here was shouting for Woods to be sacked but now they are saying the sun shines out of these two's arses, when arguably, they have taken us to a worse place than Woods did...

I know there was are other factors, like the financial package is less this season etc but it is still good enough to be doing better than we are...

Dapperz, i'm not sure I would read too much into players quotes - you also quoted a player as saying something like, these two will bring success etc... Well there isn't much sign of that yet is there? not even any progress, well not in my eyes anyway...

We still have a team, that, despite one good run is very inconsistant from game to game, a poor midfield, a lack of creativity, a lack of belief, a lack of ideas and a management team that, no longer just stands on the touchline with his arms folded but instead jumps around shouting at everybody acting like a complete twit, embarassing the club and probably costing us fines, oh and yeah, it still gets us nowhere....

Rob Scott would have us believe it's passion and some fans have been sucked into that, I would call it a lack of self control...
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:31pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ska face

Can we just maintain a semblence of commom sense and remember that Woods was sacked mid-season - he never finished a season in this division.

Mid season? really?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:33pm; Reply: 65
[quote=932]

What a stupid statement.[/quot

imo we would have struggled big time with woods in charge and the reason is he didnt lose his players/team he never actually had them in the first place
Posted by: ska face, April 29, 2012, 12:37pm; Reply: 66
Unless that season finished in February?

If you want a real comparison, then at the same point we were 6th this season.

What does that prove? intercourse all, either way.
Posted by: mariner91, April 29, 2012, 12:37pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from TAGG

The fact is we failed yet again  :(

Yes that is true. However, there is a basis of a decent team to build on. Our defence and goalkeeper are fairly strong. We have one or two half decent midfielders and a couple of good strikers who can get us goals. Certainly much better than the position we were in this time last year.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:37pm; Reply: 68
[quote=932]

What a stupid statement.[/quot

imo we would have struggled big time with woods in charge and the reason is he didnt lose his players/team he never actually had them in the first place

Maybe says more about the players than him... Still they was his players...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:39pm; Reply: 69

Sorry, wasn't specifically pointing to you...

But yeah I agree, things wasn't great when Woods was sacked... We deffo needed to improve but my point is, most of the people on here was shouting for Woods to be sacked but now they are saying the sun shines out of these two's arses, when arguably, they have taken us to a worse place than Woods did...

I know there was are other factors, like the financial package is less this season etc but it is still good enough to be doing better than we are...

Dapperz, i'm not sure I would read too much into players quotes - you also quoted a player as saying something like, these two will bring success etc... Well there isn't much sign of that yet is there? not even any progress, well not in my eyes anyway...

We still have a team, that, despite one good run is very inconsistant from game to game, a poor midfield, a lack of creativity, a lack of belief, a lack of ideas and a management team that, no longer just stands on the touchline with his arms folded but instead jumps around shouting at everybody acting like a complete twit, embarassing the club and probably costing us fines, oh and yeah, it still gets us nowhere....

Rob Scott would have us believe it's passion and some fans have been sucked into that, I would call it a lack of self control...

i still believe these 2 will bring success and progress as been made i dont think you realise what a farce the club was,of course i want it quick like everybody but a decade of sh1te (bar 1 yr)isnt goint to change over night and as much as it pains me mike newell (spit) was right about one thing the club had a deep rooted negative vibe running right through it
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 12:41pm; Reply: 70

Maybe says more about the players than him... Still they was his players...

that is not the case with the players we have at the club now thankfully
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:42pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from ska face
Unless that season finished in February?

If you want a real comparison, then at the same point we were 6th this season.

What does that prove? intercourse all, either way.

Not suggesting the season finished in Feb, I thought he was sacked with about 10 - 12 to play and not mid season....

I take your point it doesn't prove too much, other than, given the rest of the season Woods could quite easily have finished in or around the same position, so compared to Woods, these two aren't much of an improvement if any at all...
Posted by: mariner91, April 29, 2012, 12:44pm; Reply: 72

Not suggesting the season finished in Feb, I thought he was sacked with about 10 - 12 to play and not mid season....

I take your point it doesn't prove too much, other than, given the rest of the season Woods could quite easily have finished in or around the same position, so compared to Woods, these two aren't much of an improvement if any at all...

If you compare the two teams, player for player, the team we have now is an improvement. Admittedly, still not good enough for promotion but there is the basis for a good team.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 29, 2012, 12:48pm; Reply: 73

We are 8 points better off this season than last and have finished in the same position.  How would have Woods team done in this season, keeping in mind that this season there are stronger teams.

Fleetwood last season finished 5th on 78 points, this season Luton finished 5th on 81 points.  This seasons total of 70 points would have seen us finished 9th last season.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:49pm; Reply: 74

i still believe these 2 will bring success and progress as been made i dont think you realise what a farce the club was,of course i want it quick like everybody but a decade of sh1te (bar 1 yr)isnt goint to change over night and as much as it pains me mike newell (spit) was right about one thing the club had a deep rooted negative vibe running right through it

But Woods was expected to get it right in his first full season...

You said it yourself, Woods knew what he was talking about but just didn't get the respect of the players, like I said, it says more about the players than him...

Looking from the outside in, these two have probs got the respect of the players, or at least the players are scared shitless of them, but the managers don't really seem to be overly clued up tactically...

I will see how next season progresses before I say whether they should be sacked or not, I don't think the season has been a disaster but I don't think it has been full of promise like some on here are making out... I think they should be given 15 or so games to see where we are at, then re-assess the situation... If we start off like this season has ended or the season started, then they should go...
Posted by: Abdul19, April 29, 2012, 12:53pm; Reply: 75

Table when Woods was sacked:

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10417~20110222,00.html
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 12:57pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Marinerz93

We are 8 points better off this season than last and have finished in the same position.  How would have Woods team done in this season, keeping in mind that this season there are stronger teams.

Fleetwood last season finished 5th on 78 points, this season Luton finished 5th on 81 points.  This seasons total of 70 points would have seen us finished 9th last season.

I don't really see why this season has been stronger for a start? Because the top teams got more points? If so, that could suggest the top few were stronger but the rest were weaker?

Also last seasons total was distorted by the fact S and H come in like a whirlwind and got about 8 points...

Can I just say, i'm not trying to argue whether we was right to sack Woods or not... I'm not trying to argue that these two should be sacked... I'm just pointing out in terms of progress, in the league, there hasn't been much improvement if any at all...
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 1:03pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Abdul19

Thanks for that...
Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 29, 2012, 1:12pm; Reply: 78
if we'd of started the season as an average side we'd of made the play offs,the poor start cost us and we peaked to early once we found our form,also bad reffing and conceding late daft goals killed us off. There would only be 1 player out of the woods regime i'd have in the squad and that would be alan connell for obvious reasons all the others i wouldnt have in this present squad.utm
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 29, 2012, 1:19pm; Reply: 79

I don't really see why this season has been stronger for a start? Because the top teams got more points? If so, that could suggest the top few were stronger but the rest were weaker?

Also last seasons total was distorted by the fact S and H come in like a whirlwind and got about 8 points...

Can I just say, i'm not trying to argue whether we was right to sack Woods or not... I'm not trying to argue that these two should be sacked... I'm just pointing out in terms of progress, in the league, there hasn't been much improvement if any at all...

As I pointed out the teams above us this season have more points than last and that means that the teams at the top are stronger.  Woods teams couldn't see games out or win games once we went behind.  Woods had better technical players but didn't take advice or warnings of what players he needed to bring to the club.  He wasted the budget on League players on their way out of the game instead of bringing in a mix of experience of BSP or up and coming players. We were in an ideal position to bring in the cream of the BSP.

The improvement is that we have players who will fight for every blade of grass, players who don't give up and players who other clubs want.  Also there is an improvement in belief, Woods never recovered from his time in charge when we went 21 games without a win, when NW was in charge most fans were frustrated and that's why Mr itchy trigger finger acted.

The good thing about H&S is that they are driven, they'll defend the players and club but will also tell the players when they aren't good enough.

I expect play-off's at least next year but that'll be down to JF's budget and who he allows the managers to bring in.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 29, 2012, 1:52pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Marinerz93

As I pointed out the teams above us this season have more points than last and that means that the teams at the top are stronger.  Woods teams couldn't see games out or win games once we went behind.  Woods had better technical players but didn't take advice or warnings of what players he needed to bring to the club.  He wasted the budget on League players on their way out of the game instead of bringing in a mix of experience of BSP or up and coming players. We were in an ideal position to bring in the cream of the BSP.

The improvement is that we have players who will fight for every blade of grass, players who don't give up and players who other clubs want.  Also there is an improvement in belief, Woods never recovered from his time in charge when we went 21 games without a win, when NW was in charge most fans were frustrated and that's why Mr itchy trigger finger acted.

The good thing about H&S is that they are driven, they'll defend the players and club but will also tell the players when they aren't good enough.

I expect play-off's at least next year but that'll be down to JF's budget and who he allows the managers to bring in.

Hope you're right about the play offs...

Not sure I neccessarily agree that these players fight for every blade of grass, never give up and that there is more belief now... I point to the fact that in recent weeks the players seem to have no belief and pretty much gave up on reaching the play offs before they was out of reach...

Also not sure I agree that they are more driven than Woods either... They certainly seem to jump about and shout more, or at least one of them does but like I said earlier, that to me shows more a lack of self control than passion but hey ho, it''s just a different take on it I suppose...

I think the fact that NW gave up what was probs a job life with the youths, in order to take the 1st team job, shows a little about his determination, ambition and desire to succeed... Maybe if the players fans and JF had given him the chance to command their respect with his knowledge and passion for the club, rather than rule with an iron fist, he could have been a success...

I agree with the fact Woods probs got the wrong blend to the squad and that the winless streak made it harder for him in the fact the fans were less patient...
Posted by: rancido, April 29, 2012, 1:54pm; Reply: 81

And most people I talk to don't have anything positive to say about dapperz fun pub ( sharp object ).
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 29, 2012, 2:40pm; Reply: 82

Not sure I neccessarily agree that these players fight for every blade of grass, never give up and that there is more belief now... I point to the fact that in recent weeks the players seem to have no belief and pretty much gave up on reaching the play offs before they was out of reach...

Also not sure I agree that they are more driven than Woods either... They certainly seem to jump about and shout more, or at least one of them does but like I said earlier, that to me shows more a lack of self control than passion but hey ho, it''s just a different take on it I suppose...

I think the fact that NW gave up what was probs a job life with the youths, in order to take the 1st team job, shows a little about his determination, ambition and desire to succeed... Maybe if the players fans and JF had given him the chance to command their respect with his knowledge and passion for the club, rather than rule with an iron fist, he could have been a success...

I agree with the fact Woods probs got the wrong blend to the squad and that the winless streak made it harder for him in the fact the fans were less patient...

I'd say the patience of even the staunchest of supporters would be tried when you have almost half a season without a win which is what happened with Woods

At least we almost managed half a season without a defeat under S&H
Posted by: Super Clive, April 29, 2012, 2:47pm; Reply: 83
S&H all the way.

Woods was dire and showed no promise and desire what so ever....

Big well done to Alan Connell btw swindons top scorer and on his promotion about the only thing woods achieved as GTFC manager.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 29, 2012, 3:01pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from rancido

And most people I talk to don't have anything positive to say about dapperz fun pub ( sharp object ).

its cuunts like you who are happy to accept  the sh1t weve put up with for yrs why nothing ever changes,tosser
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 29, 2012, 3:58pm; Reply: 85

A good and reasoned debate VOR, I agree that we have petered out towards the end but I believe that's down to players contracts and those who knew they wouldn't be a part of the managers plans.

I really felt for Woodsy and the position he was put in, I believe he was coerced into taking the managers job and he allow his heart to rule his head.  I believe Woodsy would have lost limbs to save the club which couldn't be said for the mercenaries previous managers brought to the club.  You should never appoint a caretaker manager who doesn't win games even against opposition from two leagues below.
Posted by: STB, April 29, 2012, 7:20pm; Reply: 86
We failed last season and we've failed this season but a least we've been able to employ 2 managers and that's one less person unemployed. Hip, hop, hooray  ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 29, 2012, 8:57pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from wmacky200
y do people always blame john fenty when results dont go our way. he doesnt buy the players we have, he doesnt play the games we have...this 1 guy is the reason we still have a Non League football club at all. i for 1 think that town have stayed in the same position since the last year and i really enjoyed the games i managed to get to this year. i think with a couple more additions (MIDFIELD) and a full back and a winger and a forward then we got a great chance next year oh yeah and whos going to be running up another £500,000 debt .....Mr Fenty so lay of the poor fella coz if it was me who kept getting all the abuse i would just take my money and intercourse off, but Fenty wont because the club owes him too much money he loves GTFC like we all do. So get behind the Mariners and lets start next season with a bang

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 30, 2012, 8:30am; Reply: 88
So in summary, we're a NON LEAGUE club with NON LEAGUE management and NON LEAGUE players in a NON LEAGUE ground.

The only thing that's stayed the same is that we've got LEAGUE size debts.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 30, 2012, 8:32am; Reply: 89
Oh, and a chairman/dictator/director/entrepreneur/local councillor/businessman/fish merchant with a NON LEAGUE mentality.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 30, 2012, 8:42am; Reply: 90
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's something we've got a real flair for. I know people will shoot me down but I still think we've got the potential to rack up debts at Championship level.
Posted by: Garth, April 30, 2012, 9:19am; Reply: 91
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Oh, and a chairman/dictator/director/entrepreneur/local councillor/businessman/fish merchant with a NON LEAGUE mentality.

And fans who think the team and them are bigger than what they are ;D
Posted by: STB, April 30, 2012, 9:38am; Reply: 92
Quoted from MuddyWaters
So in summary, we're a NON LEAGUE club with NON LEAGUE management and NON LEAGUE players in a NON LEAGUE ground.

The best post I've ever seen on here.

The biggest problem is that we have LEAGUE running costs with a NON-LEAGUE income.

Cut the costs right down so were not losing money and then look at building for the future.

Half the clubs that finished above us are not traditional league clubs (Fleetwood, Kiddy, Southport, FGR and Gateshead), they are smaller teams who have ambition and a business plan to match.  The only advantage (if it is one) that we have over those clubs is a larger fanbase which at this level means fkall.

I'm sure nothing will change at a boardroom level over the next few years so we'd better get used to non-league as the Crawleys and Fleetwoods of this world overtake us.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 30, 2012, 10:19am; Reply: 93
Quoted from STB

The best post I've ever seen on here.

The biggest problem is that we have LEAGUE running costs with a NON-LEAGUE income.

Cut the costs right down so were not losing money and then look at building for the future.

Half the clubs that finished above us are not traditional league clubs (Fleetwood, Kiddy, Southport, FGR and Gateshead), they are smaller teams who have ambition and a business plan to match.  The only advantage (if it is one) that we have over those clubs is a larger fanbase which at this level means fkall.

I'm sure nothing will change at a boardroom level over the next few years so we'd better get used to non-league as the Crawleys and Fleetwoods of this world overtake us.

I look forward to a positive in my reputation status at your leisure STB!!!
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 30, 2012, 10:29am; Reply: 94

[/b]

Let me take your quote

NEWFOOTBALLER

Just asking but why do you put your username at the end of everything you write Dave?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 30, 2012, 12:30pm; Reply: 95
The club has been run into the ground, we have made little or no progress since last season, the managers are yet to fully convince. I find it hard to be positive about the club when the current administration have turned it into a joke. I hope that we can turn it around but i think think if we do not go up in the next couple of seasons then the club's existence will be in real danger. The debts that the club has and still is being saddled with will stop it progressing and have put is in the place we are in.

Mr Fenty should write the Debt off and clear off. His associaition with the club has brought nothing but misery  :B
Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 30, 2012, 12:52pm; Reply: 96
I know we've seen some excrement over Fenty's tenure, well alot of excrement infact.
Buts its being and gone, we cant turn the clock back. we cant change it, so why dwell on it?
I see people moaning about the debts, then also moaning about not offering Coulson more money, we cant have it both ways.

Im also baffled by peoples expectations of this season, we used to be a league club, yes. But was you really expecting promotion in the managers 1st full season? Especially with all the s.hite they inherited last year, if you did, your very optimistic or just deluded.

Looking at the squad we've got this year, despite the league position, it shows alot more promise for next in my view.

I think the managers are good at bringing players in and addressing situations, they just seem abit naive tactically. Also if they play Hearn left wing next season we've got no chance at promotion.

Just out of interest, all the Fenty haters, if he did just up and leave, were would be then?
Im not really clued up on the ins and outs technically and financially, but could Fenty just up and leave and were would the funding come from then?
Posted by: TAGG, April 30, 2012, 1:03pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from brad_gtfc
I know we've seen some excrement over Fenty's tenure, well alot of excrement infact.
Buts its being and gone, we cant turn the clock back. we cant change it, so why dwell on it?
I see people moaning about the debts, then also moaning about not offering Coulson more money, we cant have it both ways.

Im also baffled by peoples expectations of this season, we used to be a league club, yes. But was you really expecting promotion in the managers 1st full season? Especially with all the s.hite they inherited last year, if you did, your very optimistic or just deluded.

Looking at the squad we've got this year, despite the league position, it shows alot more promise for next in my view.

I think the managers are good at bringing players in and addressing situations, they just seem abit naive tactically. Also if they play Hearn left wing next season we've got no chance at promotion.

Just out of interest, all the Fenty haters, if he did just up and leave, were would be then?
Im not really clued up on the ins and outs technically and financially, but could Fenty just up and leave and were would the funding come from then?

Sorry to drop a bombshell mate but its still going on.
The league position doesn't lie so I cant see where they are more promising.
Playing Hearn out wide sums those two idiots up for me.
I dont know where we would be without Fenty and no one else does but I would love to see him intercourse off for good.
Posted by: mike_d, April 30, 2012, 1:09pm; Reply: 98
Are we any bigger than Oxford, who took a long time to get out of the Conference?
Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 30, 2012, 1:13pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from TAGG

Sorry to drop a bombshell mate but its still going on.
The league position doesn't lie so I cant see where they are more promising.
Playing Hearn out wide sums those two idiots up for me.
I dont know where we would be without Fenty and no one else does but I would love to see him intercourse off for good.

I suppose so, its more me thinking, it cant get any worse, can it?

Also, its more promising with the players we have.

Miller instead of Kempson. Disley instead of Cummins. Elding instead of Duffy. Artus instead of Makofo. Anyone instead of Ridley.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 30, 2012, 1:35pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from brad_gtfc

I suppose so, its more me thinking, it cant get any worse, can it?

Also, its more promising with the players we have.

Miller instead of Kempson. Disley instead of Cummins. Elding instead of Duffy. Artus instead of Makofo. Anyone instead of Ridley.

And those players achieved what exactly, the same league position as last year which is the lowest in our history.

Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 30, 2012, 1:41pm; Reply: 101
I've said it before, unless you have unlimited funds you cant build a title winning team overnight, despite what some folk on here think.
I dont think you could argue that we dont have better players than last year.
Our horrid start of losing 10 of the 1st 18 games cost us massively, all if and buts, but if we hadn't have such a horrid start and had the squad we finished with, in my view we would've made the play offs.

Also, im not trying to stay they achieved anything, finishing 11th is a nothing, were still in a transitional stage, my point was next season, im more optimistic and feel we can make the play offs with some good additions to the squad.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 30, 2012, 3:05pm; Reply: 102

So was it down to the managers then?

Our horrid start of losing 10 of the 1st 18 games cost us massively

When we beat Southport away we had the same points as the final play-off place so in fact it was the run in to the end of season that cost us if you want to base it on "runs".
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 30, 2012, 6:17pm; Reply: 103
Until somebody comes in and buys the club ( don't hold your breath ) we are stuck with John Fenty,

Wether you love him or hate him, he has put his own money into the club and has done his best,

Maybe one day we will get back into the league and John might get a little praise instead of all the name calling,

I do not think he is perfect but I do actually thank him for his committment to our club.
Posted by: pseudonym, April 30, 2012, 6:32pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from grimsby pete
Until somebody comes in and buys the club ( don't hold your breath ) we are stuck with John Fenty,

Wether you love him or hate him, he has put his own money into the club and has done his best,

Maybe one day we will get back into the league and John might get a little praise instead of all the name calling,

I do not think he is perfect but I do actually thank him for his committment to our club.
Well said Pete

Posted by: EarAche, April 30, 2012, 6:53pm; Reply: 105
As always its easy to argue to the toss over the internet without being able to offer any constructive solutions. Where are all these moaners at fans forums, or at the POTY night when the managers and chairman are available to speak to?
Posted by: rancido, April 30, 2012, 7:37pm; Reply: 106
[quote=1253]As always its easy to argue to the toss over the internet without being able to offer any constructive solutions. Where are all these moaners at fans forums, or at the POTY night when the managers and chairman are available to speak to?[/quote]

Cowardly hiding behind their keyboards trying to think of more bile to anonymously throw at JF , The Dynamic Duo and anybody on here who doesn't agree with their views.
Posted by: rancido, April 30, 2012, 7:45pm; Reply: 107

its cuunts like you who are happy to accept  the sh1t weve put up with for yrs why nothing ever changes,tosser

Typical foul-mouthed reply. I don't accept the excrement we have had for years but I know there is nothing I , as an individual , can do about it. If I had the money then I would buy out JF but I don't so I can't. If it makes you feel good constantly berating JF knowing full well that you can do nothing about it then fair enough. You are just like a dog barking at a cat up a tree . You know you cannot get at the cat but you make sure that everybody hears your futile barking.
Posted by: Meza, April 30, 2012, 8:26pm; Reply: 108
Why do we always tread on old ground I have moved forward and actually looking forward to next season.  Getting in the playoffs would have been excellent but it was never meant to be, we was always playing catch up after a bad start waiting for the team to gel.  Woods team had a head start as most of the players that came down were still with us and only the new additions had to gel.

The managers I think have signed some good players and a couple of decent ones.  I think we have a very good management team and a bunch of players that want us to go up like Hearn said in the GET.

So let's just move on from the past ten years yes it's been shite, we've all experienced it but until we move forward we will never be united.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, May 1, 2012, 6:55am; Reply: 109
Quoted from arryarryarry

So was it down to the managers then?

Our horrid start of losing 10 of the 1st 18 games cost us massively

When we beat Southport away we had the same points as the final play-off place so in fact it was the run in to the end of season that cost us if you want to base it on "runs".

Yeah, I would say it was down to the managers.

Well if were basing it on runs, then surely both cost us?

Whatever anyway, we could do this all day probably.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 1, 2012, 7:43am; Reply: 110
Quoted from Meza
Why do we always tread on old ground I have moved forward and actually looking forward to next season.  Getting in the playoffs would have been excellent but it was never meant to be, we was always playing catch up after a bad start waiting for the team to gel.  Woods team had a head start as most of the players that came down were still with us and only the new additions had to gel.

The managers I think have signed some good players and a couple of decent ones.  I think we have a very good management team and a bunch of players that want us to go up like Hearn said in the GET.

So let's just move on from the past ten years yes it's been shite, we've all experienced it but until we move forward we will never be united.

Nice sentiments but far from likely bearing in mind the non-league mentality that the club now has.
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), May 1, 2012, 12:14pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Meza

WTF are you on about? the players that were inherited by Woods were Journeymen-losers.

Your point that we have players who want to get promoted is just nonsensical. . . . Please show me a professional player who would not want to have success!

When you say we have some good players and a couple of decent ones. . . what does this mean?  Is decent better than good?

We weren't playing catch up at all.  When our run came to an end, Mansfield were still below us and we were only not in the playoffs by a point or even goal difference.

Whilst we all need a bit of blind optimism, there is little evidence of any progress and I firmly believe we will not turn this club around until JF leaves the helm!!!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 1, 2012, 1:50pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Meza
Woods team had a head start as most of the players that came down were still with us and only the new additions had to gel.

Quoted from 1054
WTF are you on about? the players that were inherited by Woods were Journeymen-losers.

I can see where Meza is coming from because he's talking about Neil Woods' team at the start of 10/11 season and NOT when Newell left the club (and when NW took over Mission Impossible of keeping us in the league with just 33 games at his disposal )

I've checked back and as far as I can see the only players who Newell left behind that featured for us in our first BSP season were Peter Bore, Bradley Wood, Rob Atkinson and Michael Leary

Bore of course was our POTY when we went down so he must have had something Woods liked and wanted to keep, Atkinson was a player most of our recent managers favoured so not really a journeyman loser, Brad hardly featured at all in 09/10 under both managers so he can't be adjudged to have contributed to our fall from grace and then Leary....

OK I'll give you that one - but Woods must have liked something about him too because he kept playing him all throughout his time in charge, when he could have easily have moved him on like he did with many of those other players Newell favoured
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 1, 2012, 4:34pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Meza

Unfortunately the club hasn't moved forward though for all these so called good players that have been signed we are still where we were last season.

Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 1, 2012, 5:36pm; Reply: 114
What I find funny about these forums is, as much as a minority of people who actually use these forums who attend the games, the way it is, is the way it is, doesn't really matter what people moan about it's just tough.

We should be able to assemble a squad of players without having to pay League 2 wages, if Coulson didn't want a pay cut then so be it, good luck to him wherever he goes.

Fact is we get around 3,500 gates on average? and we have to arrange a squad of players based on what we can afford to sustain long term survivability.

Apart from location, their is no reason why we cannot sign a proportion of the best players in this and the lower leagues, fingers crossed Luton as well as Fleetwood go up as I think Luton would be our biggest competition in terms of possibly signing the same player.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 1, 2012, 10:00pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from mariner2000

I've never read such tosh *on this board, this years team are a million times better than last years, it may not be reflected in league position at the moment but I know this seasons team would have played last seasons off the park.

* I hadn't until you wrote it.

8 points better off than last season. Same position. Another £1million wasted.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 1, 2012, 10:03pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from cleefish

(Here we go again so called fans who open their mouth with out thinking ) we are very lucky that Fenty pours his wealth into the club many chairmen would have walked by now  just look at other clubs around us in this league and see no the players should get all the abuse not the chairman things have not gone right this last part of the season because of having in charge very poor officials.

Any more luck like this and we'll be part-time

Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 1, 2012, 10:08pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Marinerz93

That proves nothing. There's a wider spread of points arguably because the bottom half is worse than last season.

Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 1, 2012, 10:09pm; Reply: 118

And our form definitely took a turn for the worse AFTER Woods was sacked.

Not saying we would have made it under Woods last year. Just pointing out a fact.

Posted by: 1600 (Guest), May 1, 2012, 10:53pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Im also baffled by peoples expectations of this season, we used to be a league club, yes. But was you really expecting promotion in the managers 1st full season?

Certainly not.
But I didn't expect us to cut our cloth when things were looking rosy in our 2nd full season either !  :o

Quoted from brad_gtfc

I accept the point but what you're saying is, you just want a club to support, it doesn't need to be a successful one ?
Well good for you, but after 30 years not sure I will pay £16 a time for the joy of it. (or to watch part time football if that's the direction we're heading)
I'd be interested to know whether the possibility of reduced attendances was a factor even taken into account when the decision to cut our cloth to the tune of £200/wk was made too ! (doesn't personally inspire me to rush to BP)

And isn't it all based on the idea that we can be sustainable ?
How can we stop losing money and be sustainable by cutting our costs if the losses are £900K (or whatever) per season ?
We can keep getting smaller and smaller and somehow survive ?
If Fenty's bums on seats pleas are to believed then personally, I'm not convinced.

Time for the club to show some ambition (for this particular season at least !) before I'Anson, Silk & co get the hump and sodomist off too.
If we don't it's not unthinkable to imagine an understrength side will stretch the patience of fans if we don't get off to a flyer and gates could dip anyway.

Think we could quite easily look back, regret it and pay a higher price later if we don't... :B
Posted by: aaron rattray, May 2, 2012, 7:06am; Reply: 120
I can remember when Neil woods said that micky cummins was our our best player
Posted by: newfootballer, May 2, 2012, 8:58am; Reply: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unfortunately the club hasn't moved forward though for all these so called good players that have been signed we are still where we were last season.

This is where you are wrong, we have moved forward in terms of team spirit, players to be accountable to the two Managers on how they perform out on the football pitch we have now got that.

Every Pro footballer should have that fear factor that they have got certain football standards to live up to or else they could be out of the first team.

The teams we have had over the last five years did not have that attitude and that is why we are in the situation we are now.

I will go back to what Paul Hurst said on the presentation night last week, Paul said and I quote.

THIS TIME LAST YEAR AT THIS EVENT I COULD NOT GET UP AND SPEAK ABOUT THE FUTURE FORTUNES OF GRIMSBY TOWN DUE TO HAVING TO GET RID OF MOST OF THE STAFF, THIS SEASON i CAN SAY WE HAVE MOVED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION BY JUST MISSING OUT ON THE PLAY-OFFS.

Surely we at Grimsby Town  have got to be one of the favourites to at least be in with a chance for the play-offs and hopefully with a few additions auatomatic promotion, and at least we have not got a new Manager to start all over again, its stability we need at this club and hopefully we are now getting that. I really am looking forward to next season I think it could be a classic in the history of Grimsby Town.

NEWFOOTBALLER
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 2, 2012, 9:08am; Reply: 122
Is 6 places and 11 points just missing out? It's a bit like saying Liverpool are just missing out on a Champions League spot.
Posted by: newfootballer, May 2, 2012, 9:53am; Reply: 123
Quoted from 584[b
]Is 6 places and 11 points just missing out? It's a bit like saying Liverpool are just missing out on a Champions League spot.

[/b] Right so what would you do then sack the Managers and start all over again, this club needs stability do you know what that means. The good signs are there to see.

Some fans just do not want to see progress they would just like to see doom and gloom all the time for gods sake have a bit of patience will you and your mates.
NEWFOOTBALLER/dave boylen
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 2, 2012, 10:06am; Reply: 124
Deep breaths Dave - I'm not suggesting for one minute that they should be sacked. They deserve more time but your post suggests that Paul Hurst told you he felt confident as we'd just missed out on the play-offs and you take this is a sign of progress being made? I don't think we did just miss out - we missed out by 11 points and 6 places. I think the progress made is smaller than you and some others on here. Verdict is still out for me on the two of them but that doesn't mean I think they should be sacked.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 2, 2012, 2:00pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Deep breaths Dave - I'm not suggesting for one minute that they should be sacked. They deserve more time but your post suggests that Paul Hurst told you he felt confident as we'd just missed out on the play-offs and you take this is a sign of progress being made? I don't think we did just miss out - we missed out by 11 points and 6 places. I think the progress made is smaller than you and some others on here. Verdict is still out for me on the two of them but that doesn't mean I think they should be sacked.

I agree, I am not saying sack the managers (well not yet anyway) but there appears to be a misapprehension of what gets a club promoted.

"This is where you are wrong, we have moved forward in terms of team spirit, players to be accountable to the two Managers on how they perform out on the football pitch we have now got that"

2010/11  We finished 11th

2011/12  We finished 11th

That confirms we have not made any improvement.

Unfortunately team spirit does not get you any points, I wouldn't care if all our players were a bunch of b@stards and didn't talk to each other if it guaranteed promotion.

The teams we have had over the last five years did not have that attitude and that is why we are in the situation we are now.

So I ask again, what happened this season to not improve on last.

If Paul Hurst thinks we just missed out on the play-offs then he clearly knows frig all.

Some on here seem to have gotten all excited about our form this season but to break it down :-

First 18 games = 20 points
Next 14 games = 34 points
Final 14 games 16 points.

So all the expectations were actually built on a run of 14 games that were promotion form, the rest, 32 games would have acheived just over 51 points, not that much to pin your hopes of promotion on.

I sincerely hope these two get it right but so far I haven't been that impressed when you take into account Scott's outbursts and the continuing spat with Radio Humberside.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 2, 2012, 5:03pm; Reply: 126

[/b] Right so what would you do then sack the Managers and start all over again, this club needs stability do you know what that means. The good signs are there to see.

Some fans just do not want to see progress they would just like to see doom and gloom all the time for gods sake have a bit of patience will you and your mates.
NEWFOOTBALLER/dave boylen

A bit of patience? 10 years of mismanagement is plenty of patience in my eyes. Progress? A lot of bullshite about a new stadium and a management duo where one shouts his mouth off and pi$$es off talented kids doesn't seem much like progress to me.

Doom & gloom? As a former player, you of all people must be gutted to see this club at an all-time low. We are nowhere near progress.
Posted by: Chris, May 2, 2012, 9:34pm; Reply: 127
It's all about opinions. I don't see how Hurst/Scott can claim we've made progress really. We lost as many games as last season, and conceded just as many goals. I suppose you can argue we got more points and scored more but we've ended up in 11th again and as someone else has already mentioned, last seasons form slumped after Woods was dismissed. No one can say with any certainty that we couldn't have made the play off's under Woods. Just as we went on a run this season (which had looked unlikely) we could have done so last season too.

After Woods was dismissed we went through a spell of conceding late goals which Hurst and Scott blamed on us not being fit so its obviously still Woods' fault that the same happeend this season as well (ignore the fact that prior to Woods dismissal we would regularly come from BEHIND to get a result).

The reality is (IMO) that this season is a success because Hurst and Scott say so, and last season under Woods was disastrous because Hurst and Scott (and Fenty) say so. Further to this, Woods didn't abuse the supporters, embarrass himself on radio with (at best) questionable attitudes with the likes on Tondeur, and wasn't sent off (setting a poor example to his players in the process).

Fact is that we are where we are and now have to deal with the hand we have been dealt. Can these two get us promoted next year? Regardless of the answer to that question, they will have been given a proper crack at it, unlike Woods, and unlike Buckley before him. Concern is that the bigger spending clubs seem to be buying their way to promotion and we wont have that sort of backing. It will be an excellent achievement if we can gain promotion anytime soon.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 2, 2012, 9:53pm; Reply: 128
Wouldn't disagree with a word of that Chris.

(Never thought I'd ever say that  ;) )
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), May 2, 2012, 10:59pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from arryarryarry

2010/11  We finished 11th

2011/12  We finished 11th

That confirms we have not made any improvement.

I'm not completely convinced and was disappointed by the last result of the season.
Think some of your posts are good but sorry, these league position comparisons are provenly weak.

For one, what would you have said had we won and finished 7th ?
I know you'll say "we didn't" but one chance goes in rather than over the bar we might have - small margins !
What I'm saying is, the difference of one game alone blows the whole argument out of the water so it begs the question, how strong is it really ?... Weak as cats urine is my guess.

If we went off league positions they'd have been long gone by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season and look what happened after.
Same for Woods, the warning signs were there and the table lied.
And look how many teams go downhill after they've won promotion, reached the playoffs or missed out on them - it's bloody loads !

In short, I think you're barking up the wrong tree and you should be supporting the managers and asking for a larger playing budget.
Quoted from arryarryarry
First 18 games = 20 points

Rebuilding, bringing in new players...
Quoted from arryarryarry
Next 14 games = 34 points

Exactly, compare that to Woods who couldn't beat Chasetown !
Quoted from arryarryarry
Final 14 games 16 points.

squad got knacked, had some bad luck and then tailed off(see above)
And they brought in new players too(not sure that was the right time tbh)

League tables never tell you the other side of the story it just lies, lies and statistics...

Quoted from arryarryarry
I sincerely hope these two get it right but so far I haven't been that impressed when you take into account Scott's outbursts and the continuing spat with Radio Humberside.

Good point, that's a bigger worry for me.
Will RH be back next season ?
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), May 2, 2012, 11:00pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We are nowhere near progress.

Of course we are, it's more a case of how much that's concerning me...
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), May 3, 2012, 3:09am; Reply: 131
Quoted from Chris
and as someone else has already mentioned, last seasons form slumped after Woods was dismissed.

Yes I saw the comment too, got to try to put this one to bed...

I specifically remember Hurst saying that when they came in backend of last season they were playing tactics NOT suited to the players.
So no wonder it didn't reap the rewards we all hoped it might.

So why did they do that ?
I guess because that's what you do when you're thinking ahead - you're looking to see who's up to the job next season for the style you want to adopt.

tbh I was pretty angry/disappointed at the time complaining about "long ball" tactics myself, but in hindsight it was always gonna be the case that they wanted to impose their own style, not choose a style to fit the players that they inherited.
Posted by: newfootballer, May 3, 2012, 7:37am; Reply: 132
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A bit of patience? 10 years of mismanagement is plenty of patience in my eyes. Progress? A lot of bullshite about a new stadium and a management duo where one shouts his mouth off and pi$$es off talented kids doesn't seem much like progress to me.

Doom & gloom? As a former player, you of all people must be gutted to see this club at an all-time low. We are nowhere near progress.

I am gutted and I care about this club, agreed mistakes have been made but I do not sit there just waiting to see the club dissapeaar into the depths of despair like some people wish on this site .

For instance I got the impression that when we were on the run of sixteen games with out getting beat, people on here were just waiting for Town to get beat so they could start moaning again.

I have said it on previous posts before this club needs stability in the Managerial field we cannot keep changing the Managers at this club.

Also my ex team mates ring me up on a consistant basis to ask what is happening at Blundel Park, because they care and cannot believe we are in non league status, and all agree that the club needs stability.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 3, 2012, 9:13am; Reply: 133
Quoted from 1600

I'm not completely convinced and was disappointed by the last result of the season.
Think some of your posts are good but sorry, these league position comparisons are provenly weak.

You have completely lost me there, how the hell can actual facts be weak. We finished 11th both seasons end of.

As for the Southport result, we never really looked like beating them.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 3, 2012, 9:14am; Reply: 134
Quoted from rancido

Typical foul-mouthed reply. I don't accept the excrement we have had for years but I know there is nothing I , as an individual , can do about it. If I had the money then I would buy out JF but I don't so I can't. If it makes you feel good constantly berating JF knowing full well that you can do nothing about it then fair enough. You are just like a dog barking at a cat up a tree . You know you cannot get at the cat but you make sure that everybody hears your futile barking.

point 1, it was you who started calling names
point2, ive told fenty what i think of him and his business model which is going to take us into the abyss imo
point3, on your basis of logic/business anyone who runs/owns a business should not be challenged on the basis that its theres to fook if they so do choose to?
point4,have a nice day (nar)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 10:54am; Reply: 135

[/b]

I am gutted and I care about this club, agreed mistakes have been made but I do not sit there just waiting to see the club dissapeaar into the depths of despair like some people wish on this site .

I'll just take you up on that point. Speaking as someone who is portrayed as negative, nothing could be further from the truth. I don't believe anyone who posts on here wants anything other than success at GTFC. Their point is that there is a culture of failure, poor leadership and negativity that comes from the top which rational thinkers see as an ongoing reason why we will remain non-league.

You, and others, back John Fenty. I, and others, don't. I can't deny that without his money the club might have gone into admin, but, as other clubs have proved, would that necessarily have been a bad thing. What can't be denied is that he has presided over the worst period in the club's history. He's right, the tide of footballing fortune may well turn in our favour, my view is that it won't be any time soon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 3, 2012, 11:01am; Reply: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You, and others, back John Fenty. I, and others, don't. I can't deny that without his money the club might have gone into admin, but, as other clubs have proved, would that necessarily have been a bad thing. What can't be denied is that he has presided over the worst period in the club's history. He's right, the tide of footballing fortune may well turn in our favour, my view is that it won't be any time soon.

I also back Fenty but agree with your point Old Codger,

BUT

Remember, a thing that is well built takes time and will last for longer.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 11:48am; Reply: 137
Quoted from grimsby pete

I also back Fenty but agree with your point Old Codger,

BUT

Remember, a thing that is well built takes time and will last for longer.

We'll agree to differ Pete, but the club had solid foundations that have been systemically dismantled both on and off the pitch. I think that Mr Fenty has a lot to answer for including the appointment of the two managers, one of whom is a joke.
Posted by: newfootballer, May 3, 2012, 12:06pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'll just take you up on that point. Speaking as someone who is portrayed as negative, nothing could be further from the truth. I don't believe anyone who posts on here wants anything other than success at GTFC. Their point is that there is a culture of failure, poor leadership and negativity that comes from the top which rational thinkers see as an ongoing reason why we will remain non-league.

Let me just ask this question in relation to John Fenty. Why has nobody come forward to get involved in replacing John Fenty and his board, you might say that Mike Parker put himself forward, and to me that is a mystery of what happened, but he is the only one person to put his name forward to get involved with the club.

How many Millionaires have we in Grimsby Cleethorpes and the surrounding areas, there is a quite a few lottery winners in this region as well.

What I am saying is this there seems to be be a lack of interest in indivuels or Companies wanting to get involved in Grimsby Town.

If I won the lottery, straight away I would invest in the purchasing of different players just to get us out of this horrible league.
But that is me, it will never happen of course I mean the winning of the lottery.

So to reality the non league sector next year hopefully for the last season.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Posted by: pier39, May 3, 2012, 12:13pm; Reply: 139
the guy at the top should take the flak in any organisation imo are we any better off with fentys money ? there will be no new investment while fenty is in charge the last fiasco saw to that,we should have gone bust and started again like chester/halifax whom both seem to be on the up.being a good businessman doesnt make you a good football club owner and anyone disagrees tell that to my 14 yr old lad who as only ever witnessed tosh supporting the club we both love.mark my words we will be part time within three yrs trying to run the club like a league club but only having non league finances
Posted by: Biccys, May 3, 2012, 12:13pm; Reply: 140
(tank)
Look out Dave, incoming....
Posted by: pier39, May 3, 2012, 12:16pm; Reply: 141

[/b]

Let me just ask this question in relation to John Fenty. Why has nobody come forward to get involved in replacing John Fenty and his board, you might say that Mike Parker put himself forward, and to me that is a mystery of what happened, but he is the only one person to put his name forward to get involved with the club.

How many Millionaires have we in Grimsby Cleethorpes and the surrounding areas, there is a quite a few lottery winners in this region as well.

What I am saying is this there seems to be be a lack of interest in indivuels or Companies wanting to get involved in Grimsby Town.

If I won the lottery, straight away I would invest in the purchasing of different players just to get us out of this horrible league.
But that is me, it will never happen of course I mean the winning of the lottery.

NEWFOOTBALLER

youve asked the key question why wont anyone get involved with club financially.....parker threw a million quid at it not loans i might add and yet now feels he cant attend matches,something hes done for decades ermm
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 3, 2012, 12:25pm; Reply: 142
[/b]

Let me just ask this question in relation to John Fenty. Why has nobody come forward to get involved in replacing John Fenty and his board,

Ooh ooh me Sir, I know this one.

Is it because we're a non-league club, with a delapidated stadium that are approximately £3million in debt?
Posted by: Denby, May 3, 2012, 1:05pm; Reply: 143

Why has nobody come forward to get involved in replacing John Fenty and his board

we don't know if anyone has or not, as fans we're not in a position to know.  someone posted a fenty email on here a while back stating that an investor had come forward but couldn't prove they had sufficient financial backing or something
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 1:20pm; Reply: 144

[/b]

NEWFOOTBALLER

Debts, benign loans, false promises, begging shares off the trust....are those enough or do you want more reasons as to why?
Posted by: Harlem mariner, May 3, 2012, 1:46pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Denby

we don't know if anyone has or not, as fans we're not in a position to know.  someone posted a fenty email on here a while back stating that an investor had come forward but couldn't prove they had sufficient financial backing or something

John in true blue style only tells the masses what they need to know, but i doubt anyone would invest while hes in charge anyway. Tragically parker is far more connected to the business world than fenty and that is something we have trully lost now,there really could have been investment from his peer group
Posted by: realityman, May 3, 2012, 2:18pm; Reply: 146
I guess i will get slagged off for saying this but the fact is that there are a lot of people who will not go back to BP while fenty is in charge. They will never foregive him for what he has presided over and whatever the results they will never go back until there is a genuine regime change.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 2:48pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from realityman
I guess i will get slagged off for saying this but the fact is that there are a lot of people who will not go back to BP while fenty is in charge. They will never foregive him for what he has presided over and whatever the results they will never go back until there is a genuine regime change.

I'll sign up to that - I've only been to a handful of games this season because I resent sustaining a regime of abject failure.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 3, 2012, 3:35pm; Reply: 148

[/b]

NEWFOOTBALLER

It's not a mystery Dave, you have to look at the time line from when Mike Parker got involved to when he left and the resulting shares debacle which no one at the club seems to be able to give a reasonable answer to, that's why no one with money will get into the GTFC bed with JF.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 3, 2012, 3:45pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'll sign up to that - I've only been to a handful of games this season because I resent sustaining a regime of abject failure.

See, I don't get this. You will call yourself a true fan but won't go to games because of who owns the club, it shouldn't matter who owns the club. You have chosen to support Grimsby Town, not John Fenty. Nobody is asking you to sit next to him and buy him a half time pint just that you come along and support the club you claim to support. It's not really difficult & I don't understand the logic in boycotting games unless you cannot make it or afford it.
Posted by: Biccys, May 3, 2012, 3:55pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from pontoonlew

See, I don't get this. You will call yourself a true fan but won't go to games because of who owns the club, it shouldn't matter who owns the club. You have chosen to support Grimsby Town, not John Fenty. Nobody is asking you to sit next to him and buy him a half time pint just that you come along and support the club you claim to support. It's not really difficult & I don't understand the logic in boycotting games unless you cannot make it or afford it.

Not just me then....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 3:59pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not that I have to explain but - I've supported Town for over 40 years, GTFC is in my blood. There were plenty of games, even seasons, when the club struggled but you always believed that the Chairman, the managers and the players cared about the club. Over the past 5 - 10 years, I don't believe that to be the case.

There are countless examples of games in that period where we haven't looked bothered. We've changed managers, players, squads, shirts and we still don't really look bothered. There have been numerous bad decisions - Slade (twice), Rodger, Humberside/Compass, Newell and the farcical statements the week before, the Devon tournament. All I will say is that I post on here because I care, with a passion, about GTFC. I'm a member of the Trust because I care about GTFC. But I reserve the right to go when I want and not be blindly obsessed with the belief that things are going to turn round any time soon - though I would love to believe that they will.

If, in your eyes, that makes me less of a Town fan than you, that's fine.
Posted by: newfootballer, May 3, 2012, 5:34pm; Reply: 152
[quote=1122]

Not that I have to explain but - I've supported Town for over 40 years, GTFC is in my blood. There were plenty of games, even seasons, when the club struggled but you always believed that the Chairman, the managers and the players cared about the club. Over the past 5 - 10 years, I don't believe that to be the case.

There are countless examples of games in that period where we haven't looked bothered. We've changed managers, players, squads, shirts and we still don't really look bothered. There have been numerous bad decisions - Slade (twice), Rodger, Humberside/Compass, Newell and the farcical statements the week before, the Devon tournament. All I will say is that I post on here because I care, with a passion, about GTFC. I'm a member of the Trust because I care about GTFC. But I reserve the right to go when I want and not be blindly obsessed with the belief that things are going to turn round any time soon - though I would love to believe that they will.

Mystery though why you do not support your team physically at Blundel Park or even away games, surely that means if you do not see the majority of the games you cannot give a fair opinion of how Town are playing
NEWFOOTBALLER

Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2012, 5:51pm; Reply: 153
[

Mystery though why you do not support your team physically at Blundel Park or even away games, surely that means if you do not see the majority of the games you cannot give a fair opinion of how Town are playing
NEWFOOTBALLER

[/quote]

Not much of a mystery. We beat the teams below and take very few points off the teams challenging for the play-offs. Therefore we are a mid-table non-league club which surprisingly is exactly what we were 12 months ago as oppose to mid table Championship which is what we were 12 years ago.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 3, 2012, 6:29pm; Reply: 154

[/b]

NEWFOOTBALLER

Have you ever thought this might be because nobody wants to work with the current board?

The clubs debt to fenty stops people taking it on!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, May 3, 2012, 6:45pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Have you ever thought this might be because nobody wants to work with the current board?

The clubs debt to fenty stops people taking it on!

Both the other two members of the board said at the last AGM that they would stand down if somene else wanted to come on the board, The current company rules state that they need a min of 3 board members on the board not allowing the other two to leave.

What you cant seem to understand there  is not a single person hiding in the wings ready to swoop to invest in this club.
Posted by: newfootballer, May 3, 2012, 7:26pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Both the other two members of the board said at the last AGM that they would stand down if somene else wanted to come on the board, The current company rules state that they need a min of 3 board members on the board not allowing the other two to leave.

What you cant seem to understand there  is not a single person hiding in the wings ready to swoop to invest in this club.

So there you go that last line says it all, and there are people on this site wanting John Fenty to get out of the club.

Granted there are people who pretend to be interested in putting money in the club but the facts are John Fenty and Mike Parker are the only two people who in recent years have put money in the club.

NEWFOOTBALLER

Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 3, 2012, 7:30pm; Reply: 157
[/b]

So there you go that last line says it all, and there are people on this site wanting John Fenty to get out of the club.

Granted there are people who pretend to be interested in putting money in the club but the facts are John Fenty and Mike Parker are the only two people who in recent years have put money in the club.

NEWFOOTBALLER

No it doesn't really. the current situation just proves we are massively unattractive at the minute. I fenty walked away and wrote off the debt someone would take the club on.
Posted by: realityman, May 3, 2012, 8:26pm; Reply: 158
People on here are all passionate in their own ways, the difference is that some are settling for what they have got because they are afraid, afraid of losing their club, but with this chairman you are losing your club by its 'drip drip drip' of a slow death. Have you ever asked yourselves why parker would put money into the club (1.25 million) and walk away? lets put it this way ---- someone must have upset him an awful lot to lose that amount of money without him making a fight of it. parker puts money into the club his way,  through shares, and loses the lot as shares have no value,  but a certain individual puts money into the club in the form of loans and the club are beholding to him, and he also retains the value of his loans which are underpinned by the value of the stadium which the club owns. Now I know that i would not put money into a club which has seen a very loyal supporter (parker) become so disenchanted. I first went to a match in 1956 and have seen more games than most of you and i have never felt more ashamed of being a gtfc supporter. I want this club to succeed, i want this club to be competitive but i cannot see this happening under this regime. Life is not just about survival, but it is about what you achieve, something i am afraid a lot of people have forgotton.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 3, 2012, 9:12pm; Reply: 159
[/b]

NEWFOOTBALLER

I don't want him to get out of the club Dave, I want him to run the club properly and not saddle us with his mistakes in the form of benign loans.  Don't forget Dave that JF could have paid the tax debt back and the money Ramsden wanted then paid himself back over several years at a cost the club could afford.  Instead the club paid back the tax man at the same time we paid JF back in £150K plus installments over several seasons.  That coupled with his and the boards appointments and firings every season allowed JF to do what he wanted with the club footing the bill.

MP left the boardroom stating that certain promised changes weren't taking place and he highlighted the cosmetic problem of benign loans that puts off potential investors.  

Consider this Dave.
You take part in a joint venture, you both agree to invest a set amount.  You invest your agreed amount in full but your partner holds off in investing his.  He then says oh hang on, you own more of this venture than me, you have to buy me out, rule 9 says so and by the way I loaned the venture £3 million, so saying as you own the venture you can pay me that £3 million, I'll have it in 50's please.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, May 3, 2012, 9:35pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Harlem mariner

John in true blue style only tells the masses what they need he wants them to know, but i doubt anyone would invest while hes in charge anyway. Tragically parker is far more connected to the business world than fenty and that is something we have trully lost now,there really could have been investment from his peer group

Corrected your text

Posted by: Harlem mariner, May 3, 2012, 10:18pm; Reply: 161

Corrected your text

Thanks fella, :)luckily for me written grammar is not needed in my job
Posted by: tashee69, May 3, 2012, 10:42pm; Reply: 162
[/b]

NEWFOOTBALLER

Interesting to hear last night that Scunny are having problems at finding a new investor and they are two divisions higher. How many other clubs are in a similar position i wonder. Lets face facts, even if this club owed nothing it would struggle to find the investment to move us forward in the way some people want with the buy your way out and bring up a big debt.
GTFC havent got out of the 90's. The grounds got worse and things have gone downhill big time.

Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2012, 9:18am; Reply: 163
[quote=1122]

NEWFOOTBALLER

As someone who goes to all the home games and most of the away ones I really object to people commenting on how we played in actual matches if they haven't been, however taking the season as a whole and seeing where we cannot defeat teams as lowly as Tamworth and getting thrashed by Braintree and finishing 11th in a league where even part-time teams are better than us, even if you haven't been to a game all season, it doesn't take an Einstein to see how the club is doing.

Posted by: laitey, May 4, 2012, 9:39am; Reply: 164
I have been against JF in the past but i respect him for stepping down for someone new to come in, that just shows no one wants it thank you fenty for your work and money this season hopefuly next we'll go up UTFM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2012, 10:36am; Reply: 165
Quoted from laitey
I have been against JF in the past but i respect him for stepping down for someone new to come in, that just shows no one wants it thank you fenty for your work and money this season hopefuly next we'll go up UTFM

Stepping down allowed him to get Mike Parker out the way and no-one wants 'it' because of the debts and loans that he has saddled the club with.

Yes, thanks John!
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2012, 12:00pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from laitey
I have been against JF in the past but i respect him for stepping down for someone new to come in, that just shows no one wants it thank you fenty for your work and money this season hopefuly
next we'll go up UTFM

Oh dear.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 4, 2012, 12:25pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I fear we will both be saying the very same in a decade's time  ??)

Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 6:40am