Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: 470 (Guest), April 23, 2012, 12:00am
I don't think we will ever get a new stadium if this goes ahead, where the hell else could we of built one, Great Coates was one big farce over the last 15+ years, so waste of time there.

And before the usual pessimists say "we will never need a new stadium" plenty of clubs the size of Grimsby or less! have new stadiums!
Quoted Text
Developers hoping to build homes at former Macaulay Lane rubbish tip

DEVELOPERS aiming to transform the former Grimsby rubbish tip at Macaulay Lane into a residential area and country park have renewed proposals for the site.

Talks between North East Lincolnshire Council planning officials and Millennium Park Grimsby Ltd are ongoing about an extension of the planning consent.
Further reading here >> Link
Posted by: STB, April 23, 2012, 12:05am; Reply: 1
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 23, 2012, 1:35am; Reply: 2
Quoted from STB
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.

I'm sure Cummins, Hudson, Makofo and Colgan will be the first to buy houses there. Anyway, getting a new stadium is impossible as long as we're relying on retail partners. It'll only happen if NELC back us (just seen something pink floating past my window).
Posted by: aldi_01, April 23, 2012, 7:16am; Reply: 3
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...
Posted by: rancido, April 23, 2012, 3:57pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...

The reason JF pushed for the new stadium was to ensure non-football income streams to help fund the club. At the time he proposed this we were not in the position we are in now. If the Council had been more pro-active at the time then things could have been different. Of course that didn't allow for Great Coates residents wanting to preserve their olde worlde village and the discovery of a bird that could only fly to the one site we identified.
The club could never have funded the project on its own and needed an anchor tenant to make the scheme financially viable.
Posted by: hook line and sinker, April 23, 2012, 7:54pm; Reply: 5
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.
Posted by: TAGG, April 23, 2012, 7:55pm; Reply: 6
This makes no odds because we will never have a new ground while we have the 5Star member running things.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 23, 2012, 8:41pm; Reply: 7
My latest information is that the former Western School site is an option, council looking to sell on  as its costing them money, win win.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 24, 2012, 7:24am; Reply: 8
That's a good shout but it's got awful road links and absolutely no links to station or any parking etc...plus i'm sure the people around it would object and their is still an education provision in some of the buildings....

That said, it will be another site that could be investigated, or should've been at the time but won't be...
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 24, 2012, 11:48am; Reply: 9
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.

Can't really disagree with that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 24, 2012, 11:49am; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
My latest information is that the former Western School site is an option, council looking to sell on  as its costing them money, win win.

That is what I heard.
Posted by: marinerian, April 24, 2012, 12:14pm; Reply: 11
Build it near the Humber Bridge and move the Town of Grimsby with it  :P
Posted by: rancido, April 24, 2012, 3:55pm; Reply: 12

I think that is unfair as regards the club . Both BC and JF have tried to instigate a move to a new ground . The biggest stumbling block has always seemed to be the council. If I remeber correctly the council were quite keen on the club having a new ground but never offered any practical or financial help. Then again if any financial help had been forth coming then a lot of NE Lincs ratepayers would have been up in arms about council cash been used to support the club.
Posted by: Maringer, April 24, 2012, 4:44pm; Reply: 13
The Western site would be ideal if we could improve the transport links enough. I propose that we widen the A1136 into a dual-carriageway for easier access to the ground direct from the A180.

I'm sure nobody will argue with this.  :)
Posted by: marinerian, April 24, 2012, 5:24pm; Reply: 14
Make a floating ground in the Humber!
Posted by: bradzmilne, April 24, 2012, 6:35pm; Reply: 15
I remember john saying that good news was coming up on the stadium at the fans fourm. I'm still waiting  ;D
Posted by: lawsman, April 24, 2012, 7:17pm; Reply: 16
We will never get a new ground until we can get a council who is prepared to back the club. It always never fails to annoy me when this council talks about providing facilities for leisure and sports activities, and then goes and shoot themselves in the foot by saying that it all depends on private investment.
Instead of hiding money away in Icelandic and other overseas banks, ( £7 million +) why not use our money to provide these facilities and rebuild out of date facilities for the future of our children and ultimately grand children, after all it is our money and why should councillors claim it all in expenses.
           This and subsequent councils should back GTFC both financially and services should be provided.

I am not saying spend £7 million on the club but at least look at ways it can help.

Someone mentioned Bradley, well it has less football played on there on a sunday than before it was developed. Incidentally next season I have heard that Cleethorpes Town will be sharing the ground with Grimsby Borough. On this team Gy Borough how many games do they have to lose before they sack the management, it just goes to show they are only pub team players, as the better players go out of town to play as they get paid.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 25, 2012, 1:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from bradzmilne
I remember john saying that good news was coming up on the stadium at the fans fourm. I'm still waiting  ;D

Which leads on to another old song

Some of the other lines ring true for us fans...

I'm just a fool
Don't you know I'm waiting
I'm just a fool to keep waiting

;)
Posted by: 470 (Guest), April 26, 2012, 2:08am; Reply: 18
Well the council were looking to close schools down, to obviously save costs - imagine the outcry knowing a school would be closed to build a Town stadium.
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 26, 2012, 6:34am; Reply: 19
We shall still be playing at blundell park in 50 years, provided we are still a club then
Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 5, 2012, 8:46pm; Reply: 20
The land next to Bradley pictures, where the rapeseed field is, this would make an ideal place for a new stadium.

Posted by: mariner91, May 5, 2012, 8:57pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 470
The land next to Bradley pictures, where the rapeseed field is, this would make an ideal place for a new stadium.

Would it? Its a bit out of town.
Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 5, 2012, 9:05pm; Reply: 22
I wonder who owns this land... (Confused)
Quoted from mariner91

Would it? Its a bit out of town.
Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

It's around 3 miles to get to Bradley Road, I could walk there no problem.
Posted by: mariner91, May 5, 2012, 9:07pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 470
I wonder who owns this land... (Confused)Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

I mean in terms of pubs and shops around the area.
Posted by: craigy, May 5, 2012, 9:08pm; Reply: 24
You got the Bradley crossroads pub
Posted by: marinerian, May 5, 2012, 9:43pm; Reply: 25
I say the land near Wybers Cross Roads and The River Freshney, sod the house owners next to it  :P
Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 5, 2012, 9:59pm; Reply: 26
Surely their is some disused land in Grimsby that no one uses that could be sold for use as a Stadium.  :o

Plenty of spare land when you look on http://maps.google.co.uk/ around the Grimsby area.  Take for example Aylesby Road, plenty of land around there.

Posted by: marinerian, May 5, 2012, 11:20pm; Reply: 27
How much of it is green belt or has building restrictions?

Would have been a good place with it being near the colleg,next to A46 and 3 routes to A180
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 7, 2012, 6:36pm; Reply: 28
We could always go back to our 1st home  at Abbey Road,

Before anybody says it,

We could knock the houses down. ;D
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 7, 2012, 7:08pm; Reply: 29
There's loads of farmland between Scaffa, New Waltham and Hewitt's Curcus but to be honest I think the only realistic sites would be the Macauley tip and King George. Doubt the local schools would be happy with the latter one
Posted by: pseudonym, May 7, 2012, 7:12pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from AdamHaddock
There's loads of farmland between Scaffa, New Waltham and Hewitt's Curcus but to be honest I think the only realistic sites would be the Macauley tip and King George. Doubt the local schools would be happy with the latter one
Wasn't the last indication on Peaks Parkway, Waltham end  ?

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 7, 2012, 7:15pm; Reply: 31
Why can we not increase Blundell Park to a 15,000 stadium and add a conference centre behind the Old Findus Stand,

Parking would be a problem,

BUT

Parking has always been a problem,

Underground car park ? (tank)
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 7, 2012, 7:16pm; Reply: 32
Don't know, never heard that. I remember after last year's fans forum this board was rife with rumours about the Western School site.
Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 7, 2012, 7:31pm; Reply: 33
Just so annoying, we hear something about once a year and then it's like dead, would be nice to know if the club is still pursuing a new stadium.

Might have to e-mail Mr Fenty.

All these bloody teams who were languishing in League 2 or below for literally years and years! Rotherham, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Morcambe, Doncaster etc etc while we were in the Championship twice over a good 10 years and we are just languishing still at Blundell Park with bad facilitys.  If we had got a ground back then while we was in the Championship we may not be in the circumstances we are in now.

Can't look into the past though, all about the future, just wish the club would push on and stop messing about - 20 years of this and that, it's ridiculous and gives false hope for the fans all these years.  :o
Posted by: cleefish, May 7, 2012, 7:31pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from 470
I wonder who owns this land... (Confused)Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

I believe it all as far as the eye can see belongs to Strawsons estates wasn't a piece next to it originally offered to the club far a ground.utmm. :) :) :)
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 7, 2012, 7:36pm; Reply: 35
Just had a quick peruse through Google Earth and one decent sized site that jumps out is the sports pitches between Humberstone Road Bluecrest and Colombia Road. Council owned I assume?
Posted by: semilapsedmariner, May 7, 2012, 7:57pm; Reply: 36
The ploggers isn't big enough by itself.'cuase car parking would be a big problem.
And acess would be a nightmare.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 7, 2012, 8:02pm; Reply: 37
We could build it out of lego like fish fingers and call it the fish finger butty stadium. Synchronises luvverly with our fishy heritage, and Cap'n Bird's Eye of course.
Posted by: semilapsedmariner, May 7, 2012, 8:22pm; Reply: 38
The ploggers would do if they could get the old birds eye site for car parking.
Then us locals could still live in peace.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 7, 2012, 8:41pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimsby pete

Underground car park ? (tank)

Why not. Ajax's ground has what looks like a motorway running under it so yeah. A stadium on ploggers with a car park underneath
Posted by: wigworld, May 7, 2012, 8:47pm; Reply: 40
Ploggers is a long trek from the train stations.

What happened to the idea of using land around the docks?
Posted by: voice of reason, May 7, 2012, 9:32pm; Reply: 41
Let it go guys... The new ground balderdash is JF's 'ace' card that he pulls out on special occassions, approx once a year... Usually the special occassion is we are playing extra shite and he is trying to re-ignite some interest...

The only good news is - apparently the tide is due in, can anyone confirm this???  :o
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 7, 2012, 9:35pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from voice of reason
Let it go guys... The new ground balderdash is JF's 'ace' card that he pulls out on special occassions, approx once a year... Usually the special occassion is we are playing extra shite and he is trying to re-ignite some interest...

The only good news is - apparently the tide is due in, can anyone confirm this???  :o

Not according to King Canute  ;)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2012, 9:54pm; Reply: 43
This really has been going on far too long to even warrant discussion eh lads and lasses? There was an idea , lost in the mists of time, of buying up the houses on Harrington St, spinning the ground round and developing it. If only that had happened we might now have a half decent ground. (sorry but I hate the word Stadium). sodomist! I've just discussed it.
Posted by: Poojah, May 7, 2012, 10:00pm; Reply: 44
Rotherham's new 'New York Stadium' is looking pretty tidy, especially considering it's only a 12,000 seater. It's amazing what can be done when you're forced into finding a new home (though it took Brighton a little longer, mind!).

Posted by: petethemariner, May 7, 2012, 10:12pm; Reply: 45
Rotherham's stadium looks brilliant - doesn't it make you sick that a club certainly no bigger than us and arguably smaller, can do this when they were almost bankrupt 3 years ago, while we have talked about doing this for 20 years and not one brick on a new stadium has been laid?
Even tiny clubs like Dagenham and the like  with gates of 1500 have made ground improvements, while BP continues to crumble - just how long will it be before the wooden  main stand is condemned as unsafe? - surely only a matter of time.
I'm not  sure who to blame, previous board members, current board members, Fentys spin, or the local council -  if the truth be known it's probably a mixture of the three, whatever the reason its just plain  depressing and i have  absolutely no confidence that any new stadium will be developed for the  next foreseeable  few years..
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2012, 10:12pm; Reply: 46
to be fair, thats what we should be modelling ourselves on. will we ever achieve 6000+ regular gates at the status we are now? no...........it would be fair to say that if we "should" achieve league status again then this IS a realistic possibility. the ground will never (ever) be built near king george because of the traffic infrastructure and the housing surrounding it.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2012, 10:30pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from petethemariner
Rotherham's stadium looks brilliant - doesn't it make you sick that a club certainly no bigger than us and arguably smaller, can do this when they were almost bankrupt 3 years ago, while we have talked about doing this for 20 years and not one brick on a new stadium has been laid?
Even tiny clubs like Dagenham and the like  with gates of 1500 have made ground improvements, while BP continues to crumble - just how long will it be before the wooden  main stand is condemned as unsafe? - surely only a matter of time.
I'm not  sure who to blame, previous board members, current board members, Fentys spin, or the local council -  if the truth be known it's probably a mixture of the three, whatever the reason its just plain  depressing and i have  absolutely no confidence that any new stadium will be developed for the  next foreseeable  few years..

Sums up perfectly how our club seems to have ground (no pun intended) to a halt. As I said previously, they had the chance of developing BP years ago but this Great Coates / Conoco white Elephant just keeps rearing it's ugly head. All the clubs mentioned in previous posts are smaller, or at least were, and in a lot of cases a new or vastly redveloped ground seems to have  been a deciding factor in their success.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2012, 10:33pm; Reply: 48
cant we just sue conaco! ;)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2012, 10:36pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
cant we just sue conaco! ;)

We aint a big enough club to do that.  :o
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2012, 10:39pm; Reply: 50
exactly!!!!!! lmao
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2012, 10:46pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
exactly!!!!!! lmao

Pity it aint against our 'uman rights not having a new ground  eh?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2012, 10:48pm; Reply: 52
i think the football is tho     ;)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2012, 10:52pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
i think the football is tho     ;)

Brilliant, you found a loophole.  ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2012, 10:57pm; Reply: 54
its all in the wording my good friend ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 8, 2012, 2:16pm; Reply: 55
Rotherhams ground looks great,

DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THE PITCH THOUGH. ;)
Posted by: big bad bob, May 8, 2012, 2:27pm; Reply: 56
Yeah is a bit sandy ;D
Posted by: 470 (Guest), May 14, 2012, 10:32pm; Reply: 57
I know it's only a new 4,000 capacity stadium but it's only taken Gainsborough Trinity a year or two to get it sorted ready to tender.

I know people mentioned the Western School area for a proposed stadium for Grimsby, funnily enough Gainsborough building there's on a former school >> Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-18020270
Posted by: mariner91, May 14, 2012, 10:51pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 470
I know it's only a new 4,000 capacity stadium but it's only taken Gainsborough Trinity a year or two to get it sorted ready to tender.

I know people mentioned the Western School area for a proposed stadium for Grimsby, funnily enough Gainsborough building there's on a former school >> Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-18020270

Shame really, the Northolme has bags of character.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 4:19am