Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 10, 2012, 8:43pm
Just wondering if there are any fellow Mariners fans in the London are that go to games. Lived down south for a while now and would be interested in going with some fellow loyal fans rather than on my own.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Ash
Posted by: Belfast Town, January 10, 2012, 8:50pm; Reply: 1
There are quite a few - you should send a message to EastEndMariner.
Posted by: Super Clive, January 10, 2012, 8:50pm; Reply: 2
Sure someone can help you, a few of um post on here.
Posted by: Simariner, January 10, 2012, 8:51pm; Reply: 3
There is a few. I know a couple.
Repost this tomorrow as a few of them may of gone tonight
Posted by: Harlem mariner, January 10, 2012, 8:53pm; Reply: 4
My brother lives in harrow and will travel in the south east to watch us but not much further
Posted by: Dan, January 10, 2012, 8:56pm; Reply: 5
I live in Battersea. If I'm ever driving to games I'll post on here :)
Posted by: livosnose, January 10, 2012, 8:57pm; Reply: 6
there are loads of town fans down in london
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 10, 2012, 9:48pm; Reply: 7
Thanks for the reply guys, still not sure how to use this site fully but will try keep an eye out. Will also update this for tomorrow. Fantastic performance tonight hope to see many more
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 10, 2012, 10:06pm; Reply: 8
The Queen's a secret Mariner!
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, January 10, 2012, 10:08pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jock dock tower
The Queen's a secret Mariner!

Prince Phillip is a cunningly disguised Harry Haddock.
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 10, 2012, 10:36pm; Reply: 10
I live in Sutton, south east London, where abouts do you reside mate?

UTM
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2012, 10:41pm; Reply: 11
One of my pups lives near Turnpike Lane but is moving soon: not sure where yet, but still in de Smoke.
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 10, 2012, 10:46pm; Reply: 12
I'm in North London, West Hampstead Area but I wouldnt mind travelling to meet people
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 10, 2012, 11:09pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from LondonGTFC
I'm in North London, West Hampstead Area but I wouldnt mind travelling to meet people

How are you getting to H&Y/ Woking?
Posted by: Dan, January 10, 2012, 11:37pm; Reply: 14
+ Luton

There was talk a few weeks ago about gathering in a pub somewhere before one of the London games.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 11, 2012, 12:47am; Reply: 15
just got back from another fine away win at the cow patch.

we are thinking of forming a london car pool to home and away games ?  at least 1/2 games a month

Having traveled to to gy games for the last 30 years from the London area this is not new to me. I go as often as pos but not week in week out !
but it would be great to organise some travel plans at least for 1/2 games a month.

utm Town were superb tonight !
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 11, 2012, 7:24am; Reply: 16
Quoted from sutton mariner

How are you getting to H&Y/ Woking?

Hayes and yeading- I was just going to look up how to get there via the tube and buses and hadn't even thought about Woking to be honest. Is it easy to get too?

Regarding Luton, would love to go to that one but not sure how id get there
Posted by: Green27, January 11, 2012, 7:33am; Reply: 17
Quoted from LondonGTFC

Hayes and yeading- I was just going to look up how to get there via the tube and buses and hadn't even thought about Woking to be honest. Is it easy to get too?

Easy as fella. Trains from Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour always go through Woking takes 25 minutes. Zone 6 only goes as far as Surbiton though.
Posted by: Grim_Exile, January 11, 2012, 7:51am; Reply: 18
Quoted from LondonGTFC

Re: Luton, trains go direct frm West Hampstead Thameslink to Luton.  It's then a 25 min walk to the ground.

Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 11, 2012, 8:01am; Reply: 19
Quoted from LondonGTFC

The best way is on the overground rail links. West Hampstead has brilliant train links on the Thameslink line to Luton and Wellingborough (for Nene Park if they survive). The North London line from the other station takes you across to Richmond and Clapham Junction to get to Woking for the H&Y game. You could get across to Willesden Junction and pick up the London Midland train to get to Tamworth too.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 11, 2012, 8:41am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Welwynmariner

The best way is on the overground rail links. West Hampstead has brilliant train links on the Thameslink line to Luton and Wellingborough (for Nene Park if they survive). The North London line from the other station takes you across to Richmond and Clapham Junction to get to Woking for the H&Y game. You could get across to Willesden Junction and pick up the London Midland train to get to Tamworth too.

The quickest way to get to Luton is via St Pancras. The West Hampstead line is painfully slow (but it does the job if you live in that area). If you get one of the East Midlands trains on the raised platform at SP, Luton is about 25 minutes. They go every half hour on the hour and half past.

Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 11, 2012, 9:50am; Reply: 21

The quickest way to get to Luton is via St Pancras. The West Hampstead line is painfully slow (but it does the job if you live in that area). If you get one of the East Midlands trains on the raised platform at SP, Luton is about 25 minutes. They go every half hour on the hour and half past.

eh?? when was the last time you tried that journey? It's exactly 30 minutes from West Hampstead Thameslink to Luton these days. It'll take you that to get from West Hampstead to St Pancras on the Jubilee/Circle line.
Posted by: marinerian, January 11, 2012, 10:03am; Reply: 22
Is this a train spotters thread?  ;D :P
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 11, 2012, 11:36am; Reply: 23
Woking?  Have I missed something
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2012, 11:40am; Reply: 24
Woking?  Have I missed something

Hayes are playing at Woking this season so don't go to Hayes!!!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 11, 2012, 11:42am; Reply: 25
OIC  Have they moved ground from last season then?

Thanks FI
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2012, 11:45am; Reply: 26
new ground is being developed so they are lodging temporarily with woking. will be like a home game for us down there - nearly every team has outnumbered the home support this season
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2012, 12:10pm; Reply: 27
have to agree, didnt used to take that long to get from west hampsted to luton. but, think there is a quick train and a slow train. just dont get on at moorgate when youve had a few and fall asleep!!!!
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 11, 2012, 1:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from marinerian

Just London commuting that does it to you.

Incidentally - the old East London line now runs from Highbury and Islington to Norwood Junction - very useful for the next time we play at Selhurst Park
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2012, 1:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from marinerian

and the train i was on to chesterfield on friday, was really old rolling stock being pulled by a deltic.............................<---------------geek!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2012, 2:40pm; Reply: 30

Just London commuting that does it to you.

Incidentally - the old East London line now runs from Highbury and Islington to Norwood Junction - very useful for the next time we play at Selhurst Park

and you can now get a train direct from hemel/watford to white city and imperial wharf - excellent news for when we next play qpr and chelski :)
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), January 11, 2012, 3:29pm; Reply: 31
I live in Sutton, south east London, where abouts do you reside mate?

UTM

If you live in Sutton, you  know that it is not in South EAST London surely????????????  South Yes. . . but its further west than the West End. Or have they moved Bow bells me old cockney sparra???
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 11, 2012, 3:53pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 1054

If you live in Sutton, you  know that it is not in South EAST London surely????????????  South Yes. . . but its further west than the West End. Or have they moved Bow bells me old cockney sparra???

Mehhh, Croydon, 5 minute drive away is classed as South East, I've just always said s.e for some reason.
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 11, 2012, 3:54pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from LondonGTFC

Train From Waterloo to Woking mate.

Luton there's a direct train too.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2012, 4:04pm; Reply: 34
its that damn thameslink again isnt it that goes all the way to sutton from luton?
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 11, 2012, 7:29pm; Reply: 35
Lived in London for a while now but all this talk is confusing the hell out of me but glad to have learnt about the H&y situation. I will hopefully try and tag along with someone to the games I think. West hampstead is just down the road so ideal!
Posted by: barralad, January 11, 2012, 9:30pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from forza ivano

Hayes are playing at Woking this season so don't go to Hayes!!!

Or Yeading... 8)
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 11, 2012, 9:38pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
its that damn thameslink again isnt it that goes all the way to sutton from luton?

That's the one, dead easy away trip for me! :)
Posted by: Neilo83, January 11, 2012, 9:51pm; Reply: 38
Nice thread!
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 11, 2012, 10:23pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano

and you can now get a train direct from hemel/watford to white city and imperial wharf - excellent news for when we next play qpr and chelski :)

That......could be quite a long time (thinks back to Groves scoring in the 1-0 win at Loftus Road)

Crossrail will get us to Ipswich??
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 11, 2012, 10:34pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from forza ivano

And HS2 will get you directly to Brum to see us play the Blouse - should be ready by the time we get back up to the second tier.

Posted by: TownLad87, January 12, 2012, 3:35am; Reply: 41
Moving to Northampton on Tuesday for abit, so if any London based town fans who have a spare space to a home game and don't mind picking up en route to Grimsby on the M1 that would be spot on, obvs I'd contribute for petrol.
Probs nearer march/April il be hoping to get to a home game.
So if you need a space filled just message me on here. Thanks.
Posted by: LondonGTFC, January 12, 2012, 6:46am; Reply: 42
Remember being there for that groves goal against Fulham
Last game of the season to stay up. Pitch invasion from the pontoon end good times.

Ok well thanks to everyone for the input I'll keep an eye out on here regarding people travelling. How far ahead to people tend to plan so I know when to look out for what game
Posted by: forza ivano, January 12, 2012, 10:24am; Reply: 43

That......could be quite a long time (thinks back to Groves scoring in the 1-0 win at Loftus Road)

Crossrail will get us to Ipswich??

will get me to
1) oxford & mk tosserrs - being optimistic
2) cambridge - being realistic
3) bedford - being pesimistic
4) bicester town - being suicidal
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 12, 2012, 10:42am; Reply: 44
on that note the west coast link will get me to :

1) bristol rovers & torquay - being optomistic
2) forest green & plymouth - being realistic
3) worcester - being pessimistic
4) wales - being suicidal
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 12, 2012, 11:10am; Reply: 45

eh?? when was the last time you tried that journey? It's exactly 30 minutes from West Hampstead Thameslink to Luton these days. It'll take you that to get from West Hampstead to St Pancras on the Jubilee/Circle line.

I use it regularly (live in Bedford, commute often into LDN). Must admit my only experience of stopping at WH is late on a Friday when all the fast trains home have gone. That one is a mare (stops at Cricklewood, Mill Hill etc). Didn't realise there was a fast one running from there.

Still quicker from St Pancras tho.

BTW, the Thameslink direct through London (in regards to getting to Woking) does not run at the weekend, it stops at St Pancras and you have to change. I often have to get flights from Gatwick on Saturdays and Sundays and it's a right pain. Gah, can't believe I'm posting about bloody trains. This is what 30 years in LDN does to you.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 12, 2012, 11:21am; Reply: 46
used to use it all the time. worked just off moorgate (finsbury circus) so could get the train straight thru from west hampsted where i lived to there, without having to bother with the northern line
Posted by: Fishymo, January 12, 2012, 11:33am; Reply: 47
Quoted from LondonGTFC
Lived in London for a while now but all this talk is confusing the hell out of me but glad to have learnt about the H&y situation. I will hopefully try and tag along with someone to the games I think. West hampstead is just down the road so ideal!

I too am a lone GTFC supporter trapped in London. The Cambridge game i took my missus, but she just complains about queues and feeling cold.
Id be up for meeting up for the London area games.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 12, 2012, 12:03pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
used to use it all the time. worked just off moorgate (finsbury circus) so could get the train straight thru from west hampsted where i lived to there, without having to bother with the northern line

My first real job was in Finsbury Circus  :o and I lived in West Hampstead up by the Black Lion. Loved that bakers near the green
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 12, 2012, 12:08pm; Reply: 49
lol wow. where in finsbury circus? i used to go to bar med on a friday night (if i finished early enough)
and lived down west end lane, near a pub opposite a pizza place! name pass me! but it was near both tube and train and the o2 shopping centre
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 12, 2012, 12:22pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
lol wow. where in finsbury circus? i used to go to bar med on a friday night (if i finished early enough)
and lived down west end lane, near a pub opposite a pizza place! name pass me! but it was near both tube and train and the o2 shopping centre

River Plate House (it was a BT building at the time). Used to eat in the Red Lion in South Place (there were no wine bars in those days). I lived in Lyncroft Gardens.

It has changed a lot in the meantime but when I lived in St Albans it was nostalgic to change from the Thameslink onto the Jubilee line.

Funnily enough I've just got myself a new contract working in St Mary Axe so it's back to Moorgate station on Monday
Posted by: Coley Surfer, January 12, 2012, 12:23pm; Reply: 51

Mehhh, Croydon, 5 minute drive away is classed as South East, I've just always said s.e for some reason.

Have relatives in Croydon. I stayed there last year for the Crawley and Wimbledon games.
I'm sure there is a direct train to Luton which can be caught at East Croydon

Posted by: sutton mariner, January 12, 2012, 12:28pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Coley Surfer

Have relatives in Croydon. I stayed there last year for the Crawley and Wimbledon games.

Unlucky you haha!  Nahh, some of Croydons alright but some bits are right rough.

And there is that train yepp
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 12, 2012, 12:30pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Coley Surfer

Yes - that's the Thameslink from Brighton through to Bedford line, though as someone says it doesn't run at weekends at the moment (think it's engineering work between Farringdon and City Thameslink). However as Forza says - you can get from West Hampstead on the old North London line over to Willesden Junction and then down to Shepherds Bush and Clapham Junction and from there you can get to Croydon or Woking (for the H&Y game).

When I first moved to London I was amazed by people (a lot older than I was) who could tell you how to get everywhere on the bus. You'd say - how do I get to Brisbane Road from West Hampstead and this series of bus routes would be offered.
Posted by: Coley Surfer, January 12, 2012, 12:35pm; Reply: 54

Unlucky you haha!  Nahh, some of Croydons alright but some bits are right rough.

And there is that train yepp

Niceish area nestled between Wandle Park and the Purley Way. Two minute walk to the tram and London is your Oyster. Heh Heh

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 12, 2012, 12:36pm; Reply: 55
am a bit of a geek in that way with trains/tubes in london.

and dont forrget the tram service you can get all the way to croydon/wimbledon now

sh1t...........at this rate i'll be wanting to move back!
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 12, 2012, 5:37pm; Reply: 56
I'd be interested in meeting up with the London fans for Hayes and Yeading and Luton away as I'll be getting the train over from Saint-Etienne for those matches. It's all booked already - I can't wait!
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 13, 2012, 12:24am; Reply: 57
For anyone heading down to the H&Y game (from London or elsewhere) the club bar at Woking is very decent.  Large space and (at least the Woking/England C games I've been to) offers prompt service and has the only naturally occurring "post office-like snaking queue" that I've ever come across (no need for those flexible barriers and shiny metal posts). The ground is a reasonable walk from the station. Loads of trains there from Waterloo and you can get fast ones if you pick your time right.

Still a long way off, but you gotta look forward.

PS I don't know how Sutton can say Sutton is in SE London. Its in facking Sarf West for Gawds sake. Cwoydon is due south. But then I bet he thinks Ewell is the other side of the moon.  ;)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 13, 2012, 12:32am; Reply: 58

Funnily enough I've just got myself a new contract working in St Mary Axe so it's back to Moorgate station on Monday

Hah, I work on London Wall...and sadly also have to go to work on Monday

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2012, 8:03am; Reply: 59
nothing wrong with the london wall area either :)

just wish i still managed a boozer in "the city". could of been a great meeting point for all exiled working in the smoke
Posted by: gary_elton, January 13, 2012, 8:34am; Reply: 60
Woking for the H & Y match.... 8 minutes by train from my place....  hic (clap)(wine)(yes)
Posted by: forza ivano, January 13, 2012, 9:17am; Reply: 61
are any london mariners going by train to tamworth? maybe they could post details on here and could meet up at the bar in euston ?

incidentally is wetherspoons the best bet for pre match pint/meeting point in tamworth?
Posted by: gary_elton, January 13, 2012, 9:24am; Reply: 62
pm is the best way to let people know where townies meet up... Staffordshire old bill will be
there in force.... havin sed that... if town carry on the way the're playin at the moment every single
pub in Tamworth will be full of townies  ;D
Posted by: the brownnut, January 13, 2012, 9:40am; Reply: 63
Hey

Another lone mariner living in north london (manor house area), would be great to get a pre match atmosphere on the train, however i'm a bit skint atm from both lincoln games and cambridge.

WORTH EVERY PENNY THOUGH!!

UTM!!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 13, 2012, 9:45am; Reply: 64
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
nothing wrong with the london wall area either :)

just wish i still managed a boozer in "the city". could of been a great meeting point for all exiled working in the smoke

Which boozer did you manage? Interested if it's still there as it's likely I've drank there

Tend to head over to the Shooting Star just off Bishopsgate for beer after work. Not the best of pubs but convenient. Some proper pubs around though: Old Street:The Old Fountain, Farringdon: The Jerusalem Tavern (St. Peters beer!) are a couple of my favourites.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2012, 10:15am; Reply: 65
managed 3 or 4. worked for a company called davys (old school type wine bars) and managed a couple of new style wine bars.

davys creed lane (next to st pauls)
davys bangers (wilson st)
heel tap and bumper (worship st)
davys pulpit (worship st now closed down)

and i had a place in exchange square (above liverpool st station near corney and barrow)

used to drink in the globe and the flying horse around moorgate, and a few others more towards old st.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 13, 2012, 10:45am; Reply: 66
ah yes...davys I enjoy. Wood chippings on the floor, beer in pewter tankards. I do suspect their Old Wallop is a shepherd neame beer rebranded though

Davy's bangers is one I go to now and then. The one I really like is the mughouse just underneath London Bridge on the south bank.
Posted by: Dan, January 13, 2012, 10:53am; Reply: 67
Quoted from forza ivano
are any london mariners going by train to tamworth? maybe they could post details on here and could meet up at the bar in euston ?

incidentally is wetherspoons the best bet for pre match pint/meeting point in tamworth?

I went up for the game last year, will probably go again as it falls the right side of payday.
Posted by: Dan, January 13, 2012, 10:54am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Which boozer did you manage? Interested if it's still there as it's likely I've drank there

Tend to head over to the Shooting Star just off Bishopsgate for beer after work. Not the best of pubs but convenient. Some proper pubs around though: Old Street:The Old Fountain, Farringdon: The Jerusalem Tavern (St. Peters beer!) are a couple of my favourites.

Besty Trotwood in Farringdon was always a choice watering hole when I worked round there :) I'm currently undertaking an attempt to drink in every Sam Smiths in London in January. Got about 15 left to go :)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 13, 2012, 11:28am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Dan

Besty Trotwood in Farringdon was always a choice watering hole when I worked round there :) I'm currently undertaking an attempt to drink in every Sam Smiths in London in January. Got about 15 left to go :)

ah yes....I once tried to organise my own Jack the ripper tour (used to work round the corner from the first murder) but it ended up just being a sam smiths pub crawl in the end.

Think my favourite sam smiths is the Angel at rotherhithe. Not overly crowded and a decent walk along the thames. Although if you get the tube across to Wapping you've got a small crawl on with the Town of Ramsgate, Captain Kidd (sam smiths), Prosepect of Whitby and then up to the Grapes at Limehouse.

Best ever comment from some stupid barmaid was when I asked for a pint of Taddys and she said "We don't serve Tetleys"

But I digress from the football ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 13, 2012, 12:14pm; Reply: 70
worked for davys straight from uni. great company to work for though, pay wasnt the best!!
and dont know what the wallop is these days, but, the lager they served was holsten export, which is lovely!!!!
still have a bottle of 1995 port that remains unopened and waiting for a special occasion!
Posted by: Trawler, January 13, 2012, 1:04pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from forza ivano

Defo going Forza and will be pleased to meet if it happens on Feb 4th but it could be FA trophy R3?
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 13, 2012, 1:13pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from forza ivano

I'd hang fire on getting train tickets for Tamworth until after tomorrows game.
Posted by: Dan, January 13, 2012, 2:57pm; Reply: 73

Think my favourite sam smiths is the Angel at rotherhithe. Not overly crowded and a decent walk along the thames. Although if you get the tube across to Wapping you've got a small crawl on with the Town of Ramsgate, Captain Kidd (sam smiths), Prosepect of Whitby and then up to the Grapes at Limehouse.

Best ever comment from some stupid barmaid was when I asked for a pint of Taddys and she said "We don't serve Tetleys"

But I digress from the football ;)

Still got to venture over that end of London, the best by far at the moment has been the Dover Castle just near regents park. Wonderful pub.
Posted by: Green27, January 13, 2012, 4:32pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from gary_elton
Woking for the H & Y match.... 8 minutes by train from my place....  hic (clap)(wine)(yes)

A two minute walk from here  8)
Posted by: POOLSMARINER, January 14, 2012, 5:20pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Harlem mariner
My brother lives in harrow and will travel in the south east to watch us but not much further

got a spare seat in car from northeast england ie hartlepool any town fans in region want to go to blundell park or local home games :)
Posted by: Kentmariner, January 14, 2012, 5:27pm; Reply: 76
I live in orpington, me and my son would like to get to games when we can, not may fixtures this way on this season though....
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 14, 2012, 8:28pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
and i had a place in exchange square (above liverpool st station near corney and barrow)

Great totty viewing around that area and the Circle at Broadgate.  ;)

Posted by: gary_elton, January 14, 2012, 8:38pm; Reply: 78
There's some fit birds around Farnborough too...  well... they're all wearin track suits....   :)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 14, 2012, 8:48pm; Reply: 79
Was in Farnborough Tuesday to pick up a couple of mates before going to Cambridge.
Posted by: gary_elton, January 14, 2012, 8:49pm; Reply: 80
Farnborough based... lookin forward to H & Y in Woking.... that'll be a beer day  :)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 14, 2012, 9:00pm; Reply: 81
Woking is dead quick for me ....by car. But a right pain by train. So that buggersup the supping unless I get a full day pass from the Higher Authority.
Posted by: gary_elton, January 14, 2012, 9:06pm; Reply: 82
ahhh.... I have no higher authority...

so a nice wet day out... starting about 11 in wetherspoons in Farnborough....

continuing in some nice Woking watering hole...

ending up back in the Swan in Ash Vale afterwards...   hic...  ;D
Posted by: londonchap, January 14, 2012, 9:14pm; Reply: 83
Blimey. I'm an urchin living in Farnham. Can we have a Grimsby - hornchurch Celebratory/ comiseratory love fest at The Swan in farnborough one night?  
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 14, 2012, 9:26pm; Reply: 84
There's three of us who work in the Farnborough area too. So that makes at least 5 in The Surrey Heath Mariners Exiles. SHaME!
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 14, 2012, 9:27pm; Reply: 85
Sorry misread your post Urchin. Thought you were one of us for a mo.
Posted by: gary_elton, January 14, 2012, 9:35pm; Reply: 86
would that be The Swan at the end of the runway , or the Swan by the Canal in Ash Vale ??
always up for a couple of bevvies.....
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 16, 2012, 9:12am; Reply: 87

Great totty viewing around that area and the Circle at Broadgate.  ;)

cant say i ever noticed!!! lol
we used to have events for pimms and veuve cliquot and some of the girls that used to come along were absolutely stunning!!
Posted by: codcheeky, January 16, 2012, 1:16pm; Reply: 88
£9.50 each way to bath from london on the train on the east coast web site
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 16, 2012, 2:57pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

cant say i ever noticed!!! lol
we used to have events for pimms and veuve cliquot and some of the girls that used to come along were absolutely stunning!!

Can't beat Summer in the City (and I'm not talking about that 60s hit). Or Spring & Autumn come to that.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 16, 2012, 3:13pm; Reply: 90
telling me mate. always a good atmosphere :)
used to head down to a bar at the back of tooley street during the summer that was on the river. loved it and the eye candy was ok too
i used to go to the strand in chiswick for some great drinks. always a hit before international days (rugby) was richmond
Posted by: oldludensian, January 16, 2012, 4:20pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
managed 3 or 4. worked for a company called davys (old school type wine bars) and managed a couple of new style wine bars.

davys creed lane (next to st pauls)
davys bangers (wilson st)
heel tap and bumper (worship st)
davys pulpit (worship st now closed down)

used to drink in the globe and the flying horse around moorgate, and a few others more towards old st.

Does that include the AA (Artillery Arms) Bunhill row? Used to work on Bunhill Row 8 - 10 years ago.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 16, 2012, 4:25pm; Reply: 92
off chiswell street somewhere????
if so the name rings a bell.
Posted by: oldludensian, January 16, 2012, 4:35pm; Reply: 93
Yes off Chiswell st on a corner opposite a burial ground and near to the Artillery grounds off City rd - hence Artillery Arms. Very small pub on the corner with a small upstairs too. Was a cracking boozer, though that was mainly due to all the skirt from work being in there  :P
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 16, 2012, 4:54pm; Reply: 94
as i said, name rings a bell, but never really went drinking over that way a lot. tended to stay liverpool st/finsbury square/old st sides.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 16, 2012, 6:13pm; Reply: 95

ah yes....I once tried to organise my own Jack the ripper tour (used to work round the corner from the first murder) but it ended up just being a sam smiths pub crawl in the end.

I used to work at The Grapes. Dr 'Death' David Owen lives next door.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 16, 2012, 9:02pm; Reply: 96

I used to work at The Grapes. Dr 'Death' David Owen lives next door.

I think it's a pretty good pub, decent fish restaurant (overpriced ofcourse) and with a nutter landlady. I think since I went last it's been bought by Sir Ian McKellen!!

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2011/09/sir-ian-mckellen-why-i-took-ov.html
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, January 16, 2012, 11:34pm; Reply: 97
Went in the Artillery Arms years ago. Good little boozer as I remember it.

Yes Woz. Richmond is heaving with totty on international rugby days. Never been free to enjoy it though!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2012, 12:47pm; Reply: 98
lol we used to go straight in o'neills next to the train station then onto the cricketers.
oh good times indeed :)
Posted by: BIGChris, January 17, 2012, 1:42pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
lol we used to go straight in o'neills next to the train station then onto the cricketers.
oh good times indeed :)

and now you're not allowed out at all!! ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2012, 1:46pm; Reply: 100
LOL only when i dont make the bacon sarnies big guy  :'(
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 18, 2012, 8:20am; Reply: 101
oh, many town fans in kent? and no, croydon is not in kent OR sarf east larndan!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 23, 2012, 11:05am; Reply: 102
going back to this thread, and dont want to trawel through it, just wondered if there are any town supporters in sevenoaks area???
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 23, 2012, 11:17am; Reply: 103
I'm in east Grinstead , about 20 miles away
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 23, 2012, 11:27am; Reply: 104
AH yeah. not too far. is there anything formed yet with regards to a london branch supporters group????
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 23, 2012, 11:41am; Reply: 105
well I'm getting the 6.50 from KX on Friday back to Grimsby if anyone else is going.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 23, 2012, 11:53am; Reply: 106
havent moved back there yet mate ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 31, 2012, 8:06am; Reply: 107
official, move on the 18th to sevenoaks!!!

unless something goes t1ts up!
Posted by: Dan, January 31, 2012, 10:46am; Reply: 108
Might be driving over to the Bath game this weekend. Although the weather looks a bit iffy.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 31, 2012, 11:16am; Reply: 109
its freezing cold down this way at the moment.

weather forecast looks iffy too.

where you travelling from dan?
Posted by: Dan, January 31, 2012, 11:33am; Reply: 110
Clapham, SW London.

I'll have 3 spare seats if anyone in the area wants to go (and it's on of course)
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 31, 2012, 5:32pm; Reply: 111
I would of taken up your offer but already booked the train I hope the game is on ?
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 31, 2012, 5:52pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
official, move on the 18th to sevenoaks!!!

unless something goes t1ts up!

Very nice place to live. Check out the Spice Garden at the top of the hill
Posted by: sutton mariner, January 31, 2012, 8:17pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Dan
Clapham, SW London.

I'll have 3 spare seats if anyone in the area wants to go (and it's on of course)

To Bath mate? Small chance I'll be taking your offer up!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 8:47am; Reply: 114

Very nice place to live. Check out the Spice Garden at the top of the hill

may just have to do that my good man. though will be very busy helping run a pub!

and before anyone asks, no you cant!
may be a good place to set up a regular meeting of the grimsby supporters london branch though!>?!?!?!?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 1, 2012, 9:55am; Reply: 115
Sounds like a good excuse for a urine up . What pub is it ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 9:57am; Reply: 116
do you know sevenoaks ??
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 10:03am; Reply: 117
Sevenoaks! nice and central then!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 10:14am; Reply: 118
I know. there was a tad of tongue in cheek with it!!!!
maybe we could get an invite to the punch and judy in cov garden again! pmsl

be good to get a london branch supporters club on the go, and even better to get a flag done
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 1, 2012, 10:39am; Reply: 119
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
do you know sevenoaks ??

Not really but it's not the biggest of towns . Sure I could offer to take the mrs out there and fortunately stumble across a pub run by a town fan ! What would the chances of that be ?

If were going to do a London branch tho suppose it does need to be a bit more in town though . Could be a good spot for a mid summer meet though
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 10:39am; Reply: 120
I was going to say it would be like setting up the Mariners Trust head office just outside of Barnetby
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 10:41am; Reply: 121
MID SUMMER!!! monthly more like!! lol
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 10:52am; Reply: 122
the old meeting point and spiritual home for london mariners was a little boozer named the pineapple (?) just off the strand. thorne, brough and east end mariner know it far, far better than I ;) ;) ;)
the other spiritual home would be the Moscow Arms in Bayswater. was run by a grimbarian at the time of the 2 wembley trips and we packed the feckin place out - the tourists didn't have aclue what was happening!

we also had some good times meeting up at the boozer on the south bank of the thames overlooking st pauls.big newish place right on the tow path.
the other place would be the wetherspoons at baker street - big, cheap, easy to find and would bring back memories of wembley trips
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 11:12am; Reply: 123
and of course there was the globe (?) before our last visit to the smoke.

bayswater i sort of know. been to the casino there a couple of times and there are a good couple of pubs there.
southwark may be able to help here, but the only one i can think of is the foundars arms near(ish) to the tate. but, over lookng st pauls it wouldnt have been (though you may have been able to see the roof). unless you were loaded and went to OXO for a meal ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 11:23am; Reply: 124
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
and of course there was the globe (?) before our last visit to the smoke.

bayswater i sort of know. been to the casino there a couple of times and there are a good couple of pubs there.
southwark may be able to help here, but the only one i can think of is the foundars arms near(ish) to the tate. but, over lookng st pauls it wouldnt have been (though you may have been able to see the roof). unless you were loaded and went to OXO for a meal ;)

WOZ - yes it was the globe - directly opposite wetherspoons
moscow arms has now closed down apparently :(
yes it was the founders arms.and yes you can see st pauls from there:
http://img01.beerintheevening.com/0f/0f2fff19f71a871c3854a9baac24be53.jpg

and yes have lunched at the oxo - very nice! ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 11:30am; Reply: 125
i know mate. OXO is lovely. was manager of a bar/restaurant just off ludgate hill, and popped in there (lets say) a couple of times!!! love that neck of the woods. though, i would haver to live in my beloved chiswick :) if i ever moved back into town. had a few good beers in the founders too and a couple of others on the south bank. though more up towards westminster @NAMCO WORLD.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 11:33am; Reply: 126
Youngs!!! how could you! Almost as bad as Greene King

apologies if Woz is running a Youngs or Greene King pub in Sevenoaks ;D
Posted by: oldludensian, February 1, 2012, 11:36am; Reply: 127
Presume you guys have been to the Tattershall Castle too?
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 11:37am; Reply: 128
Youngs!!! how could you! Almost as bad as Greene King

apologies if Woz is running a Youngs or Greene King pub in Sevenoaks ;D

what???????? youngs is gorgeous.  stocked up at xmas with a good few bottles of their double chocolate stout - nectar from heaven

almost sacrilege to put them in the same bracket as greene king - lol
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 11:43am; Reply: 129
Quoted from oldludensian
Presume you guys have been to the Tattershall Castle too?

pint of Becks = £4.30

sad thing is that's not far off ordinary pub prices

Youngs in a bottle I'll accept ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 11:47am; Reply: 130
not too keen on greene king. though, their ipa is supposed to be quality and dont forget youngs do bomabardier and directors! both very good cellers  :P sellers.

more of a london pride man myself, IF i was to drink bitter. more onto cider these days and love a good quality european lager.

now, i know ther are a few sam smith fans on here, but, please never let me in one of their pubs again. went into one on the strand (before the arsenal game a few years ago) and thought its the worst pub ive ever been in. seem to think its divided into 2 sections straight from the front door
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 11:48am; Reply: 131
and the tatt, yeah, been a couple of times. all those lovely ladies getting battered on pimms, champagne and rohypnol vodka ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 12:08pm; Reply: 132
bombardier is like greene king imho - very, very rare to find it kept properly, but when you do they're both good ales, bombardier in particular.
both pubs in the village keep london pride, again when it's kept nice or 'new' it's a lovely pint. prefer fuller's summer ale myself and the their hsb (gales) is wonderful but mind bending!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 12:20pm; Reply: 133
a bit like me on the black rat or the old rosie!!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 1:09pm; Reply: 134
where you based then forza?
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 1:18pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
where you based then forza?

rural bucks mate
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 1:21pm; Reply: 136
ah right. hows the thatched cottage ;)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 1, 2012, 1:23pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from forza ivano
bombardier is like greene king imho - very, very rare to find it kept properly, but when you do they're both good ales, bombardier in particular.
both pubs in the village keep london pride, again when it's kept nice or 'new' it's a lovely pint. prefer fuller's summer ale myself and the their hsb (gales) is wonderful but mind bending!

Unfortunately Youngs is now brewed at Charles Wells in Bedford. Greene King took over Ruddles - tragic losses I'd say

Fullers London Pride and the other Fullers beers continue thank goodness

Which is the pub in Sevenoaks. Sevenoaks is pretty twee by the way. Highly refined and all that - and only 20 minutes from London on the train (Charing Cross or London Bridge)
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2012, 1:28pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
ah right. hows the thatched cottage ;)

getting the thatched one as and when i get settled down again ;)

been in my cottage for about 25 years now - small 2 bed gaffe but did manage to get 12 of the imp lads in for a night when we played at wimbledon all those years ago (harry the haddock spent the night in the pond!)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 1:32pm; Reply: 139

Which is the pub in Sevenoaks. Sevenoaks is pretty twee by the way. Highly refined and all that - and only 20 minutes from London on the train (Charing Cross or London Bridge)

its in riverhead. do you know the area????
and think the nearest station is dunton green i think
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 1:33pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from forza ivano

been in my cottage for about 25 years now - small 2 bed gaffe but did manage to get 12 of the imp lads in for a night when we played at wimbledon all those years ago (harry the haddock spent the night in the pond!)

very similar to my place in chiswick!!!! lol
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 1:44pm; Reply: 141
about the only time I've been to Chiswick was because I was in charge of organising work's christmas do. So naturally I contacted Fullers and booked a tour. The pub at the brewery was unsurprisingly the best pint of London Pride I've ever had.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 1:54pm; Reply: 142
lol....yeah. its nice over there. i lived in turnham green, so was a bit of a distance for me
Posted by: oldludensian, February 1, 2012, 2:33pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Bullfinch? Don't know area very well but often drive through Dunton Green and Riverhead to get to 7oaks.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2012, 2:35pm; Reply: 144
thats the one fella :)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 1, 2012, 6:24pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Yes - used to live in Borough Green, a bit further down the A25. It's a little way outside Sevenoaks itself near the M26. I liked living there
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 1, 2012, 11:04pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
i know mate. OXO is lovely. was manager of a bar/restaurant just off ludgate hill, and popped in there (lets say) a couple of times!!! love that neck of the woods. though, i would haver to live in my beloved chiswick :) if i ever moved back into town. had a few good beers in the founders too and a couple of others on the south bank. though more up towards westminster @NAMCO WORLD.

The Founders. Some t@ nicked my jacket in there one night.

Problem is for pre-football pint it's a brisk walk to any station.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 1, 2012, 11:06pm; Reply: 147
There's a nice village a few stops up the slow line from Sevenoaks called Shoreham. Nice pubs there, or least there was 20 years ago.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 1, 2012, 11:16pm; Reply: 148

The Founders. Some t@ nicked my jacket in there one night.

Problem is for pre-football pint it's a brisk walk to any station.

well Blackfriars station now has an entrance on the South bank....that is pretty close!

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2012, 8:45am; Reply: 149
thinking how cold it is this week reminds me of working off ludgate hill one winter. finishing work at 12ish and getting the last tube back to chiswick. absolutely freezing having been in a nice warm bar all day. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2012, 8:46am; Reply: 150

Yes - used to live in Borough Green, a bit further down the A25. It's a little way outside Sevenoaks itself near the M26. I liked living there

oh great :) might need to get some local info off you as not got a scooby about the area!
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, February 2, 2012, 4:55pm; Reply: 151
I lived in Leyton for a couple of years - about 200 yards from Brisbane Rd so used to take in a few games. Typically as soon as I moved we ended up in the same division as them!
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 2, 2012, 8:01pm; Reply: 152

well Blackfriars station now has an entrance on the South bank....that is pretty close!

Blimey. It's been a while since I was in town!

Thing is it's still a bit out the way. Not really on route/good enough to make it worth the effort pre-match.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2012, 1:30pm; Reply: 153

Blimey. It's been a while since I was in town!

Thing is it's still a bit out the way. Not really on route/good enough to make it worth the effort pre-match.

no but a good excuse for a few beers :)
Posted by: forza ivano, February 6, 2012, 2:35pm; Reply: 154
with all this interest and in depth knowledge of the london pub scene, may I suggest that someone arranges a meeting point around waterloo for those going to woking on the 28th??
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2012, 5:20pm; Reply: 155
i thought hayes was gonna be postponed IF we beat bath.

If not, can certainly recommend a couple. think theres a fire station opposite the tube station at waterloo thats been converted into a boozer
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2012, 5:25pm; Reply: 156
http://www.thefirestationwaterloo.com/menu.php?menu=6720

8)
Posted by: 0ld timer, February 6, 2012, 5:28pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from forza ivano

was everything intact when they all left andy
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 6, 2012, 7:14pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The Old Fire Station is OK - but it's pricey and does organic food. The Duke of Sussex round the corner is a traditional London boozer, the Hole in the Wall opposite Waterloo station sells cheap beer but that's it's only plus point
Posted by: Dan, February 6, 2012, 7:17pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Good pub this
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 6, 2012, 8:19pm; Reply: 160
Alternatively...if people fancy some grub before the game, this restaurant is next to Waterloo (round the corner from the fire station pub) and does bring your own booze for I think 50p corkage. It's fairly basic but the price is right. Just round the corner is an offlicence too.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/550/maries-cafe

It's a greasy spoon by day and a thai restaurant by night.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 6, 2012, 11:03pm; Reply: 161
The Duke of Wellington opposite Waterloo is big and has reasonable range of beers. Not necessarily the best in the area but convenient. Tellies for the Premiership watchers. A short dash to the end of the station where trains for Woking run from.

The curry house under the railway bridge just a few yards down the road from the Welly serves good food and is not bad price for London. And (IIRC) Cubana on Lower Marsh is good for an end of evening jolly esp if you've erm....had your Anglo-Saxon inhibitions removed by a few libations. 8)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 7, 2012, 5:18am; Reply: 162
Alternatively...if people fancy some grub before the game, this restaurant is next to Waterloo (round the corner from the fire station pub) and does bring your own booze for I think 50p corkage. It's fairly basic but the price is right. Just round the corner is an offlicence too.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/550/maries-cafe

It's a greasy spoon by day and a thai restaurant by night.

I used to work in Waterloo and Marie's Cafe was my regular lunch place. It's a pretty tiny place though. The Thai food was brilliant (I think it was run by this group of Thai women). Excellent Chicken Chow Mein. Calling it a greasy spoon is bit harsh. The Duke of Sussex was the best boozer around there too
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 8:12am; Reply: 163
there is also this one :

http://www.fullershotels.com/rte.asp?id=317
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 7, 2012, 10:35am; Reply: 164
That's the one I was on about Woz.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 10:58am; Reply: 165
i had totally forgotten about it. and looks like its had a decent refurb too
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 7, 2012, 1:04pm; Reply: 166
Been like that a while now. 2-3 years? Looks less of a tip without any people in there though!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 1:13pm; Reply: 167
havent been round that was since i lived opposite the ring (on the cut). thats the only reason i can remember the fire station. used to love going in there. and seem to remember them doing a really good quiz. but, that was some 10 years ago!
Posted by: Dan, February 7, 2012, 1:47pm; Reply: 168
I like this thread.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 1:47pm; Reply: 169
what part of the smoke you in dan?
Posted by: Dan, February 7, 2012, 2:05pm; Reply: 170
Clapham. Been there 2 years, probably gonna move to Putney or somewhere like that soon though.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 2:10pm; Reply: 171
going up in the world eh  mate ;)
Posted by: Dan, February 7, 2012, 3:35pm; Reply: 172
Hahaha, graduallly moving into the suburbs at 25 years old. I hate myself.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2012, 3:52pm; Reply: 173
I moved away 9 years ago. next week, am moving back!
Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2012, 10:10am; Reply: 174
looks like that meet up will have to be postponed. any idea when the h&y game will be rearranged for?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 8, 2012, 10:29am; Reply: 175
for some reason i think it would be around the 13th march maybe.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 8, 2012, 10:57am; Reply: 176
that would mean 8 games in March as it stands. Pretty busy month!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 8, 2012, 11:00am; Reply: 177
i cant see when else it would be SM
Posted by: lancspontooner, February 9, 2012, 9:58pm; Reply: 178
Any of you guys know a decent pub in central London (Westminster) which might be showing the Southport match on Premier Sports next Friday night?
Posted by: Dan, February 10, 2012, 12:34am; Reply: 179
I believe the O Neils in Chinatown has Premier Sports, but whether it will be shown is another matter
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 10, 2012, 1:57am; Reply: 180

Last time I tried seeing a Grimsby televised game I found a website saying such and such pub showed the game only to call them up and find out they didn't. Definately call up if you do find one just to check.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 10, 2012, 8:11am; Reply: 181
what about the sports cafe??
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 10, 2012, 8:32am; Reply: 182
What about the walkabouts ? There's shed loads os Aussie rugby league on prem sports all the time so they might have it
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 10, 2012, 9:55am; Reply: 183
ah, the walkabout.

one of my fave stomping grounds in sheps bush.

though, for those who know our antipodean friends drinking holes in west london, you may be saddened to know that the redback has closed down :(
Posted by: Dan, February 10, 2012, 10:39am; Reply: 184
The main problem with Walkabouts - and the Shebu one inparticular - is the amount of Australians.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 10, 2012, 10:54am; Reply: 185
I know that the Elbow Rooms in Leeds have shown Premier Sports games before - worth trying one of the London ones?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 10, 2012, 11:09am; Reply: 186
Quoted from Dan
The main problem with Walkabouts - and the Shebu one inparticular - is the amount of Australians.

thats also the main problem with australia!
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 10, 2012, 11:43am; Reply: 187
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
ah, the walkabout.

one of my fave stomping grounds in sheps bush.

though, for those who know our antipodean friends drinking holes in west london, you may be saddened to know that the redback has closed down :(

What about the Grog Shop or whatever it was called?
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, February 10, 2012, 11:44am; Reply: 188
Quoted from Dan

That New York habit has gone too far!

Posted by: Dan, February 14, 2012, 12:23pm; Reply: 189
For any London Mariners interested, this place will be showing the game:
http://www.jetlagbar.com/index.php/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2012/02/17/3666/-/southport-v-grimsby
It's kind of a cocktail / sports bar, right near the BT Tower.

I'll be watching it there :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 15, 2012, 1:59pm; Reply: 190
ah mate, dont move down til saturday!!! wouldve been there though!
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), February 15, 2012, 2:11pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from Dan

Last time I watched a town match in the walkabout there were zero Aussies in there, just me, my mate, couple of pist blokes and a businessman supporting Forest Green!

Oh. . . . and it is 'number' not 'amount' of Australians. . . small thing but grammar is important!
Posted by: Dan, February 15, 2012, 2:24pm; Reply: 192
Someone is in a bad mood. Go have a cup of tea, maybe a cigarette, take 10 steps back from the computer, and breathe.
Posted by: Dan, February 17, 2012, 3:07pm; Reply: 193
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
ah mate, dont move down til saturday!!! wouldve been there though!

Ah shame, I'm sure we met you in the station after the Alfreton game actually :)

Just another heads up if anyone is in central london tonight, game is on here :)

http://www.jetlagbar.com/index.php/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2012/02/17/3666/-/southport-v-grimsby
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 17, 2012, 3:21pm; Reply: 194
I reckon I'll be there....trying to persuade people at work that trekking over to West London, paying £4.60 for a bottle of foreign beer and watching a Grimsby  Southport game is their idea of fun. Who's tempted by the £6 pint?

There's a sam smiths down the road but even they charge a fortune now.
Posted by: Dan, February 17, 2012, 3:27pm; Reply: 195
There's a bloody brilliant Sam Smiths called the Dover Castle right nearby. It's one of the better ones, doesn't get busy with people empyting out the offices like some of the others in the area. Open fires, very nice.
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/63/6319/Dover_Castle/Marylebone

Quite agree though, the drinks are right pricey in Jetlag, and they don't even do ales. I emailed them to check and they are showing it though. Lucky for me, I work 2 minutes away :)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 17, 2012, 3:44pm; Reply: 196
I thought the jetlag did ales (in bottles)...seems to have a range of  fullers and Shepherd Neame
http://www.jetlagbar.com/images/stories/Menu/drink.pdf

If anything, a bottle of the brewers reserve at £9 is possibly the best value for money  ;D

I'm coming in from the East (below their radar) so will be stopping off at the Fitzroy Tavern but might have to pop in to the Dover Castle. I seem to remember going there once in about 2007 for Sunday Lunch but downstairs was shut and it was served upstairs in what looked like someone's sitting room.
Posted by: Dan, February 18, 2012, 1:30am; Reply: 197
Great turnout, 30 or so Mariners in full voice :)
Posted by: James77, February 18, 2012, 1:49am; Reply: 198
Quoted from Dan
There's a bloody brilliant Sam Smiths called the Dover Castle right nearby. It's one of the better ones, doesn't get busy with people empyting out the offices like some of the others in the area. Open fires, very nice.
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/63/6319/Dover_Castle/Marylebone

Quite agree though, the drinks are right pricey in Jetlag, and they don't even do ales. I emailed them to check and they are showing it though. Lucky for me, I work 2 minutes away :)

I worked near to the Dover Castle from 1999-2001. Always a good place for lunchtime pints. Haven't been back since, good to hear it's still in good nick.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 18, 2012, 4:27am; Reply: 199
just back m yself and have a very bad headache :(

but we won

;)

I loved it when we started singing at the two poor old Southport fans ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 19, 2012, 12:38pm; Reply: 200
Quoted from Dan

Ah shame, I'm sure we met you in the station after the Alfreton game actually :)

Just another heads up if anyone is in central london tonight, game is on here :)

quite likely that you did. i was with the lad that had the bizarre quiff and yellow anorak on!!!! ;)

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 19, 2012, 9:10pm; Reply: 201
alright folks, am gonna try and sort out a town flag with "london mariners" on it. is anyone willing to chip in?

just think it would be effing ace

also. we having a meet for hayes and also for luton?
all are very welcome in the pub btw

:)

and yes, am drunk!    lmao
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:28pm