Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 12, 2011, 11:25am
At home in the 2nd Round of The FA Trophy
Posted by: forza ivano, December 12, 2011, 11:28am; Reply: 1
eh? thought he draw was at 12 and still regionalised?
Posted by: 1106 (Guest), December 12, 2011, 11:30am; Reply: 2
Decent home draw decent chace of progressing. Could have been worse, could have been draw away to Nowheresville or Luton.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 12, 2011, 11:30am; Reply: 3
Full draw.

Ebbsfleet United v Chester
Wealdstone v Barrow AFC
Weymouth v Alfreton Town
Worksop Town v Newport County or Forest Green Rovers
Gateshead v Braintree Town
Lincoln City v Carshalton Athletic
Vauxhall Motors or Kidderminster Harriers v Droylsden
Dartford v Boston United
East Thurrock United v Hampton & Richmond Borough
Grimsby Town v AFC Hornchurch or Farnborough
Cambridge United v AFC Telford United
Northwich Victoria v Staines Town or Maidenhead United
Hinckley United v Luton Town
Salisbury City v York City or Solihull Moors
Guiseley AFC v Stockport County or Stalybridge Celtic
Bath City v Basingstoke Town
Posted by: DJ Mera, December 12, 2011, 11:31am; Reply: 4
AFC Hornchurch or Farnborough Forza as Les said.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10417~2545207,00.html
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 12, 2011, 11:44am; Reply: 5
They drew 0-0 at Hornchurch on Saturday. The replay is this Wednesday at Farnborough.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 11:47am; Reply: 6
i see that town (as winners) will receive £5000 for winning the 1st round. whats the prize for the 2nd round?
was that when we lost to chasetown & plumbers/electricans athletic?
Posted by: mariner83, December 12, 2011, 11:51am; Reply: 7
£6k if we win the 2nd round
http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFATrophy/FATrophyPages/FATrophyPrizeFund200809
Posted by: acko338, December 12, 2011, 11:58am; Reply: 8
How much does that go towards running the stadium for that day ?

I hope that that sum is taken into account for ticket prices so soon into the new year !
Posted by: upthestripes, December 12, 2011, 11:59am; Reply: 9
Quite a treck for both teams, don't reckon we'll see many away fans.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 12, 2011, 12:08pm; Reply: 10
We even get a special mention on the FA site

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFATrophy/NewsAndFeatures/2011/2RP-draw-121211

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but I'd hope we could get past both of the two teams who have to replay  :)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, December 12, 2011, 12:18pm; Reply: 11
At least its at home, from a sporting point of view anyway. What league are Hornchuch in? Are Farnborough still a Conference South team?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 12, 2011, 12:23pm; Reply: 12
Wow! Salisbury,Hornchurch,Farnborough.It's like the good old days again. ;D
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 12, 2011, 12:24pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Paris Mariner
What league are Hornchuch in?

Ryman Prem.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, December 12, 2011, 12:25pm; Reply: 14
When you look at the draw, can't help thinking there's a real chance of a Wembley visit if the remaining rounds are kind to us.  Would be great for morale at the club and for the coffers.  Nice platform for keeping a settled side into next year and getting promoted.  (Though I wouldn't say no to a double Wembley visit next year and go up via the play offs).
Posted by: alvinghammariner, December 12, 2011, 12:28pm; Reply: 15
When is the 2nd round weekend?
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 12, 2011, 12:28pm; Reply: 16
Wrexham and Fleetwood both went out on Saturday and Luton don't seem to be interested having played a 2nd string on Saturday. Not really that many teams left to frighten us really. At the moment I reckon we could beat anyone at home.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 12:33pm; Reply: 17
w/end 14th jan
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 12, 2011, 12:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
We even get a special mention on the FA site

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFATrophy/NewsAndFeatures/2011/2RP-draw-121211

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but I'd hope we could get past both of the two teams who have to replay  :)

"Grimsby Town beat holders Darlo 3-0 and their reward is a home tie against the winners of Wednesday night’s replay between Farnborough and AFC Hornchurch."

I hope they're being facetious.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 12:51pm; Reply: 19
well, tbh, i think it is a reward, very decent chance of progressing into the next round
Posted by: oldun, December 12, 2011, 2:59pm; Reply: 20
Plenty of banana skins left in this competition. Still can't believe we have to take part but that is where we are unfortunately.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 3:08pm; Reply: 21
i would like a day out at wembley again tbh (if its at wembley)
Posted by: moosey_club, December 12, 2011, 3:13pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from LondonMariner43
When you look at the draw, can't help thinking there's a real chance of a Wembley visit if the remaining rounds are kind to us.  Would be great for morale at the club and for the coffers.  Nice platform for keeping a settled side into next year and getting promoted.  (Though I wouldn't say no to a [b]double[b] triple Wembley visit next year and go up via the play offs).

You must have forgotten about the FA Cup  :)
Posted by: Perkins, December 12, 2011, 3:23pm; Reply: 23
No doubt the persistant moaners who always have a whinge when we play lower opposition will no doubt crawl out from underneath their stones if there is a sniff of Wembley in the air. Who do you go to BP to see for goodness sake, Town or the opposition? . Just because they are in a lower league than us doesn't mean the game will be any the less for that.
Posted by: pseudonym, December 12, 2011, 3:36pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Perkins
No doubt the persistant moaners who always have a whinge when we play lower opposition will no doubt crawl out from underneath their stones if there is a sniff of Wembley in the air. Who do you go to BP to see for goodness sake, Town or the opposition? . Just because they are in a lower league than us doesn't mean the game will be any the less for that.

True. Many of them have nearly reached a semi. They will have a full hard on if we get to the final !!
Posted by: forza ivano, December 12, 2011, 3:46pm; Reply: 25
another treat in store if we were to get a replay at hornchurch- average crowd is just over 200! although to be fair it looks a nice set up for that level

http://www.afchornchurch.com/bridgetour.htm
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 3:53pm; Reply: 26
i was thinking exactly the same. :)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, December 12, 2011, 3:55pm; Reply: 27
Let's go with it. If we can get a good run it will do us no harm at all.

Still I'd have rather had Hornchurch away. Farnborough are a pretty decent side though by all accounts so don't write them off.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 12, 2011, 4:02pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano
another treat in store if we were to get a replay at hornchurch- average crowd is just over 200! although to be fair it looks a nice set up for that level

Looks like Hornchurch fans are already looking forward to playing at our MASSIVE ground.

http://www.nonleague.co.uk/topic/167943-trophy-draw/page__pid__1781370#entry1781370
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2011, 4:08pm; Reply: 29
too much time on your hands les ;)
Posted by: Biccys, December 12, 2011, 4:21pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

It's a bit....pink..
Posted by: voice of reason, December 12, 2011, 4:37pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Perkins

Get over it... Would you rather it be just the 1500 who went to the game against Darlo turn up at Wembley...??? People have a life outside of Blundell Park... You may plan your whole life around going to the games but not everyone does or can...
Posted by: Perkins, December 12, 2011, 4:50pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from voice of reason

Get over it... Would you rather it be just the 1500 who went to the game against Darlo turn up at Wembley...??? People have a life outside of Blundell Park... You may plan your whole life around going to the games but not everyone does or can...

Nerve touched, my mission accomplished.
Posted by: voice of reason, December 12, 2011, 4:55pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Perkins

Nerve touched, my mission accomplished.

Just pointing out the obvious whilst you lot battle it out to be GTFCs greatest supporter...  

You lot can go on about how you go to every game and how the floating supporters are arseholes or wrong in some way blah blah as much as you like but the fact remains that the floating supporters are just as important as you, a concept some of struggle with and find hard to stomach...
Posted by: STB, December 12, 2011, 4:59pm; Reply: 34
If we get to Wembley, the whole fkin family will want to go, loads of grief and money, can't they have the final at Bradley or somewhere more local.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, December 12, 2011, 5:05pm; Reply: 35
Hornchurch looks more like a garden centre with a bar.
Posted by: Perkins, December 12, 2011, 5:06pm; Reply: 36

Just pointing out the obvious whilst you lot battle it out to be GTFCs greatest supporter...  

You lot can go on about how you go to every game and how the floating supporters are arseholes or wrong in some way blah blah as much as you like but the fact remains that the floating supporters are just as important as you, a concept some of struggle with and find hard to stomach...

Nice try mate, but i made it my policy years ago never to argue about Poltics or Football with a wind up merchant. Although i did have a chuckle at your reference to you being a floater. Byeeeee.

Posted by: voice of reason, December 12, 2011, 5:10pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Perkins

Nice try mate, but i made it my policy years ago never to argue about Poltics or Football with a wind up merchant. Although i did have a chuckle at your reference to you being a floater. Byeeeee.

Haha, I lik what you tried to do there with the floater ref... However it did fail because there was no reference to me being a floater at all, have another read...

Anyway I applaud you bailing out so soon though, some people would try and argue the toss despite knowing what I said was right so, well done you...
Posted by: Perkins, December 12, 2011, 5:16pm; Reply: 38

Haha, I lik what you tried to do there with the floater ref... However it did fail because there was no reference to me being a floater at all, have another read...

Anyway I applaud you bailing out so soon though, some people would try and argue the toss despite knowing what I said was right so, well done you...

Touche'

Posted by: AndyGTFC, December 12, 2011, 5:20pm; Reply: 39
Really good draw, can't have asked for much better. A home game against opposition from a lower league.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 12, 2011, 5:56pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Really good draw, can't have asked for much better. A home game against opposition from a lower league.

A true voice of reason amongst all the bickering on here!  ;)

Posted by: Garth, December 12, 2011, 7:03pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from STB
If we get to Wembley, the whole fkin family will want to go, loads of grief and money, can't they have the final at Bradley or somewhere more local.

You should be able to afford the trip mate on the savings you make by staying away all season ( on your own admission ) ;)
Posted by: Martz86, December 12, 2011, 8:48pm; Reply: 42
If we was to win we'd have received 92k in prize money, so it's a cup worth trying to win even if it is excrement.
Posted by: upthestripes, December 12, 2011, 9:39pm; Reply: 43
Would we actually have suffered a loss from winning the Darlo game? 5k plus a small turnout is peanuts & wouldn't cover the cost of the game surely?
Posted by: siy2k5, December 12, 2011, 10:05pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from upthestripes
Would we actually have suffered a loss from winning the Darlo game? 5k plus a small turnout is peanuts & wouldn't cover the cost of the game surely?

It surely doesn't cost £5k+ to stage a game...does it?!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 13, 2011, 8:14am; Reply: 45
no, the £5k is for winning through the round.
we would have received nowt for getting knocked out.
though am not sure if gate receipts are split
Posted by: siy2k5, December 13, 2011, 12:01pm; Reply: 46
I was referring to the poster who posed the question whether the 5k would cover the cost of staging the fixture.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, December 13, 2011, 12:05pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from siy2k5
I was referring to the poster who posed the question whether the 5k would cover the cost of staging the fixture.

I doubt it - didn't Fenty say that they budgeted for something like £20k and £19k for the Stockport and Mansfield games and got nowhere near that. As there less people at Darlo gam I'd imagine we'd still be struggling to break even on the 3 game ensemble anyway.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 13, 2011, 12:14pm; Reply: 48
as i half heartidily said in a previous thread, doesnt it cost a hell of a lot more because of floodlights??? they cant be cheap to use!! hence tonight is a needed win to progress
Posted by: upthestripes, December 13, 2011, 12:23pm; Reply: 49
So it may be a cup that you actually have to pay to be in? At least in the 1st round. FA should look at that.

@Si, mate I have absolutely no idea, which is why I was asking.
Posted by: Biccys, December 13, 2011, 2:01pm; Reply: 50
The cost of staging a game at BP is between £5-7000, according to Steve Wraith's interview on the Thisisgrimsby site a few weeks ago.

I'd suggest a cull (not literally!) of the stewards on a matchday to save some money.

Lincoln (similar reputation and similar sized crowds at present) employ a MAXIMUM of 30 match day stewards. That's for the "bigger" games. I'd suggest we have approaching 50 for every game. (I don't know this figure is accurate but just by glancing around at the number of oh-so-very-important hi-vis jackets, I think I'm in the ball park.)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, December 13, 2011, 2:34pm; Reply: 51
Fenty did mention in his latest mp interview that he was interested in the Trust becoming more involved in support on matchdays and gave examples of voluntary barwork and stewarding. Telegraph article today says they're meeting on Thursday to establish what the Trust 's ideas are and how to bring them onboard.

I think it was Salisbury who said the real direct cost relating to a matchday is paying off the police....or something like that.
Posted by: lukeo, December 13, 2011, 3:40pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
i would like a day out at wembley again tbh

agreed. no matter what cup it is, a day out in London and a trip to Wembley would be perfect  8)

Posted by: lukeo, December 13, 2011, 3:41pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Fenty did mention in his latest mp interview that he was interested in the Trust becoming more involved in support on matchdays and gave examples of voluntary barwork and stewarding. Telegraph article today says they're meeting on Thursday to establish what the Trust 's ideas are and how to bring them onboard.

I think it was Salisbury who said the real direct cost relating to a matchday is paying off the police....or something like that.

Sadly I work until 2:30pm on Saturdays .. I'd work for free providing i got to watch the game. helps the club out and i still get to watch the game
Posted by: upthestripes, December 13, 2011, 5:16pm; Reply: 54
Anyone have any preferences with this tie? Personally would prefer Hornchurch. Is their game tomorrow?
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 13, 2011, 5:19pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from upthestripes
Anyone have any preferences with this tie? Personally would prefer Hornchurch. Is their game tomorrow?

Yes, it's tomorrow. Farnborough are at home.

I'm not bothered either way.
Posted by: upthestripes, December 13, 2011, 5:42pm; Reply: 56
Cheers Les.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:03pm