Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 3, 2011, 9:35pm
But NOT the obvious ones.

Time for another feelgood thread I reckon. Which Town away games (apart from the obvious ones like Everton, Newcastle, Boro, Liverpool, Wembley etc) stick in your memory.

Although I've lost count of the number of Town away games I've been too, this is one of the more memorable ones for me for 4 reasons. 1) Super Clive's first ever goal for us. 2) 100 Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain at half-time. 3) A very rare Mark Lever goal. 4) Getting home at 5.30am and going to work at 8am the next morning.

Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, November 3, 2011, 9:43pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin
But NOT the obvious ones.

Time for another feelgood thread I reckon. Which Town away games (apart from the obvious ones like Everton, Newcastle, Boro, Liverpool, Wembley etc) stick in your memory.

Although I've lost count of the number of Town away games I've been too, this is one of the more memorable ones for me for 4 reasons. 1) Super Clive's first ever goal for us. 2) 100 Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain at half-time. 3) A very rare Mark Lever goal. 4) Getting home at 5.30am and going to work at 8am the next morning.

my first ever away game, a tuesday night away at watford mid 90s. town won 3-0 and there fans stormed the pitch at the end. my mate shat it coz he thought they were coming for us when it was just a protest against the board. he got ripped big time on the way home :)

Posted by: Simariner, November 3, 2011, 9:45pm; Reply: 2
Hudersfield away at Leeds Road. 90-91?
Night game in the snow and we won 1-0 (I think)
That was my first away game. It was bloody cold!
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, November 3, 2011, 9:48pm; Reply: 3
going to stoke on the train when they played at the victoria ground was memorable to. not good memorable though  :-/
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 3, 2011, 10:10pm; Reply: 4
Friday night game at Cheltenham, won 3-2, (2004-05) first time we'd ever played there: great pubs and game: used the same pubs the following season and we won 3-0 (don't want to remember our 3rd meeting with them that season).  
Posted by: aaron rattray, November 3, 2011, 10:11pm; Reply: 5
wimbledon away last season i dont know why but i can just remember every second of that day from waking up to going to bed others include millenium stadium and wembley i can remember every second of those days
Posted by: sonik, November 3, 2011, 10:21pm; Reply: 6
Going to Millwall in Bernard Morley's car boot in 79/80 season I think. ( Austin Allegro) We lost 2-0 if I remember. Bernard parked the car at High Barnet Tube and we ran the gauntlet getting to the Den and back. Not to clever as a youngster. I was pleased to get back in the boot on the way home I can tell you. LOL!  One of the many great memories of going to the game with the late great Bernard Morley. UTM!!
Posted by: Abdul19, November 3, 2011, 10:23pm; Reply: 7
Rotherham 2003. Oster's last minute winner from Livvo's cross.

Stoke 2002. Livvo's chip.

Wigan 1998. Can't remember why, but I enjoyed it!
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 4, 2011, 12:05am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19
Stoke 2002. Livvo's chip.

I can remember that day for entirely different reasons.

Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 4, 2011, 12:05am; Reply: 9

my first ever away game, a tuesday night away at watford mid 90s. town won 3-0 and there fans stormed the pitch at the end. my mate shat it coz he thought they were coming for us when it was just a protest against the board. he got ripped big time on the way home :)

Remember that game. Even Shakespeare scored.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 4, 2011, 12:11am; Reply: 10
Northampton away possibly 1978, when you stood behind a rope on the touchline at 2 sides like it was Sunday League. Think we won 2-1 to guarantee promotion that season with about 3 games to go.
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, November 4, 2011, 12:26am; Reply: 11

that game had me hooked with away travel. spent the next few seasons going to as many away games as my pocket money/part time job on the meggies beach fairground rides would allow. can honestly say they were some of the best days of my life

Posted by: aaron rattray, November 4, 2011, 6:04am; Reply: 12

i didnt know william shakespeare played for town?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 4, 2011, 7:04am; Reply: 13
Quoted from aaron rattray

Genius ;D
Posted by: Biccys, November 4, 2011, 8:26am; Reply: 14
Donny Rovers, Mayday bank holiday weekend 1989 I believe when Andy Tillson scored a cracker. That game had it all. 5 goals, a carried off GK, plenty of bookings and 3 points! I do believe male private O'Kelly broke his leg that game as well? Or maybe not... Maybe he already had broken it...
Posted by: tintowner, November 4, 2011, 8:27am; Reply: 15
Droylsden away in the mid 70s in the FA Cup. My first ever away game. A frightening sort of  'what /why am I here' sort of feeling, especially when you are about 11 years old.
Posted by: oldludensian, November 4, 2011, 9:10am; Reply: 16
Coventry away in League Cup circa 1989. Went with mates from school on coach, great atmosphere, loads of Town even thogh we lost in end (to a Drinkell goal?). West Mids police at their worst. Knackered for school the next day that I had to bunk off.

Rotherham away in about 1992ish. We won 4-1, Clive scored for them. About 1500 town fans in fine voice in the dark, even the p1ssers had no lights. Great game. Got lost on the Rotherham/Sheffield ring road on way home. Just remember driving around souless industrial areas with (I kid you not) an inch of soot on the pavement. Lived upto Southern it's-grim-oooop-north gags. Top, top night out - never to be forgotten.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2011, 9:23am; Reply: 17
A memorable one for me was when i was in the Navy i see town beat Plymoth at Plymouth with mendonca and woods scoring, it ended 2.1 to town, it was 1991 - 1992 season,it was a tuesday night i think.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 4, 2011, 10:33am; Reply: 18
I am rubbish with dates but here are a few games that stick out,

Oldham             won 4-1  Tees 2  Green 2

Middleborough   won 4-1   It took us to the top of the league (  I think )

Preston  (  cup )  won 1-0 Dave  Boylen played in that one,

Ipswich              A few good results over the years that I have lived down here.

Bolton           won   2-1   Drinkell plus a screamer from Bobby Mitchell that I missed because I went to the toilets.

Derby           Won 2-1    Drinkell  2

Are you reading this Mr Fenty ?(anger3)(anger4)
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 4, 2011, 10:34am; Reply: 19
Any of the away games I went to in the 1971-72 season, 19 in total. It was just such an enormous feeling of "We are Town" seeing my first ever Mariner's promotion season. It was also the days before any kind of segregation so we used to walk around the towns before the game in mobs of huge numbers like we owned the place. Lincoln, Scunthorpe and Doncaster anyway!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 4, 2011, 10:52am; Reply: 20
Quoted from jock dock tower
Any of the away games I went to in the 1971-72 season, 19 in total. It was just such an enormous feeling of "We are Town" seeing my first ever Mariner's promotion season. It was also the days before any kind of segregation so we used to walk around the towns before the game in mobs of huge numbers like we owned the place. Lincoln, Scunthorpe and Doncaster anyway!

Yes, great times Jock,

We took over 5,000 fans to a few away games that season.

I must have been stood next to you at a few of them games. 8)
Posted by: Phillycheese, November 4, 2011, 12:31pm; Reply: 21
FA Cup game at Middlesboro, they'd just beat Man Utd the week before and we went there and played brilliantly with Marc North coming off the bench and cracking in two. Always remember this match as we the boro fans coming out the seats were chucking coins at us, came out the ground with a couple of quid extra ;D
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, November 4, 2011, 1:54pm; Reply: 22
Rotherham & Mansfield 79 -80 season. Rotherham cos there was a fair bit of trouble and I remember seeing a guy on the floor who looked like his leg was the wrong way round. It was in the paper the next day that he had a false leg! Mansfield cos we needed a point for promotion if I remember correctly and we filled 3 sides of the ground - great days!
Posted by: codhead91, November 4, 2011, 2:19pm; Reply: 23
There's two away games that are particularly memorable for me. The first being Notts County a few years ago when we were fighting relegation, we took over 2000 fans and won 2 nil after being battered for the first half. Didn't one of our players punch the ball through to Bosh to score the 2nd?

The other is Crawley last season. First game in the 'unknown' that is the Conference, against a side everybody fancied to do well and scraped a 1 nil victory. Great goal from Peacock, and fondly remember the sense of optimism leaving the ground that day. It was also the first game I'd seen us win in around 18 months!
Posted by: NorthLeedsMariner, November 4, 2011, 2:23pm; Reply: 24
Charlton away mid 90's I think. Ivano's debut.

Only game where I remember the warm up and thought we had signed a football genius
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 2:45pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from cmackenzie4
A memorable one for me was when i was in the Navy i see town beat Plymoth at Plymouth with mendonca and woods scoring, it ended 2.1 to town, it was 1991 - 1992 season,it was a tuesday night i think.

See my post which began this thread Chris. It was Lever who scored our winner btw.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 2:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from NorthLeedsMariner

Only game where I remember the warm up and thought we had signed a football genius

Ivano's debut was Charlton at home. He signed the contract on the pitch before the game.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2011, 3:16pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

See my post which began this thread Chris. It was Lever who scored our winner btw.

Oh i see now Les  ;D

yes thats right it was Lever,there were not to many town fans there that night,i only had a 15 minute walk back to the ship  ;),it was on the local telly the next night on the highlights,the lads thought we was a good team.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 3:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Oh i see now Les  ;D

yes thats right it was Lever,there were not to many town fans there that night,i only had a 15 minute walk back to the ship  ;),it was on the local telly the next night on the highlights,the lads thought we was a good team.

Just a shame the YouTube clip doesn't show the Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain.

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 4, 2011, 3:20pm; Reply: 29
I remember a game at derby, losing 1-0 deep into injury time, i went for a pee and came back te see Kev Moore pick up te ball on the halfway line and run straight through thier midfield to the edge of the area and let fly,  what a cracker
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2011, 3:21pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just a shame the YouTube clip doesn't show the Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain.

I have just watched it,i can see me sat on my own on the green seats  ;D as mendonca makes the run you will see the green seats on the left,im half way up there,i can remember the lads doing the conga  :),just to think Les thats 20 year ago,how time flies.
Posted by: goolemariner, November 4, 2011, 3:26pm; Reply: 31
So many to remember, best one for me probably QPR away (2001?) Crouch was playing for QPR then, we were under the cosh all game. They had chance after chance, Coyne unbeatable that day and then Paul Groves miscued a tame shot into the bottom corner right in front of us. We went mental!
Posted by: oldludensian, November 4, 2011, 3:27pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Oh i see now Les  ;D

Mr McKenzie

This might be a long shot, but did you and your mates (one of which was massive and had a beard) used to stand near the back of the ponny? I'm thinking about 89/90 - 93/94ish? Just that I kind of remember overhearing one of the blokes in the group that used to stand in front of my group once saying that he was stationed in Plymouth and used to go watch them when he was down there..................
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 4, 2011, 3:27pm; Reply: 33
Port Vale in the early 90s, last game of the season and Vale needed a win to stay up, Im not sure if we were still mathematically involved too. We won 1-0 with a Tommy Watson goal and it absolutely chucked it down, just remember rain water constantly dripping off my nose. At Full time all the Vale fans invaded the pitch and made their way over to our end. They didnt enjoy the rendition of always look on the bright side of life with a fair few trying to breach the police and stewards line separating us.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2011, 4:08pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from oldludensian

Mr McKenzie

This might be a long shot, but did you and your mates (one of which was massive and had a beard) used to stand near the back of the ponny? I'm thinking about 89/90 - 93/94ish? Just that I kind of remember overhearing one of the blokes in the group that used to stand in front of my group once saying that he was stationed in Plymouth and used to go watch them when he was down there..................

Hello there oldludensian

It was not me but it may have been civvy at last who posts on here,he was based down Plymouth when i was,could be him mate.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 4:13pm; Reply: 35
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 4, 2011, 4:19pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.

I've got the footage from Calendar or Look North on that Reading game. There's inflatable Haddocks, Bananas and a huge fried egg behind the goal when we get the winner....looks right mental ;D
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 4, 2011, 4:19pm; Reply: 37
Town vs Wolves at Derby. Went on a coach from the Lynton with a load of mates. Robbed during the game, but the enduring moment for me was back on the coach waiting to go when we saw a couple of schoolteachers admonishing some pupils who were obviously on a trip from school. About 20 odd guys down the front of the coach all mooned up at the coach window whilst everyone else sang "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone" Pure Grimsby!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2011, 4:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from jock dock tower
Town vs Wolves at Derby. Went on a coach from the Lynton with a load of mates. Robbed during the game, but the enduring moment for me was back on the coach waiting to go when we saw a couple of schoolteachers admonishing some pupils who were obviously on a trip from school. About 20 odd guys down the front of the coach all mooned up at the coach window whilst everyone else sang "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone" Pure Grimsby!

Was you a mooner or a singer on that coach Jock ?  ;D
Posted by: danny pacquiao, November 4, 2011, 4:39pm; Reply: 39
Away at west brom, can't remember the year 2001? Luke cornwall scored the only goal, a line of stewards seperating us and their fans. Burnley in the auto windscreen was brilliant, cracker from donovan, got a black eye outside the ground by some burnley fan who elbowed me though, i was only ten, ah well didn't care as we won. Scunny in one of the previous rounds was quality aswell. Although the victories are great, it's the atmosphere in the away end that makes them memorable, remember losing to liverpool 3-0 (owens first hatrick) but still really enjoyed it.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 4, 2011, 4:44pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Les Brechin

went in a furniture type van,a few mouthy locals nearly shat themselves when they saw how many got out of the van(whistling)(whistling)(whistling)
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 5:07pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from RoboCod

I've got the footage from Calendar or Look North on that Reading game. There's inflatable Haddocks, Bananas and a huge fried egg behind the goal when we get the winner....looks right mental ;D

I had a black and white zebra that night.
  ;D
Posted by: RoboCod, November 4, 2011, 5:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Les Brechin

I had a black and white zebra that night.
  ;D

I'll check my VHS and see if I can see you  :)
Posted by: oldludensian, November 4, 2011, 5:51pm; Reply: 43
If anyone's got youtube links for any of these games, I'd love to re live those nights. Why is it night games, especially away from home with loads of Town there stick in the memory?
Posted by: BIGChris, November 4, 2011, 6:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was living in Herts at the time and remember I got home in a ridiculously quick time. I must have averaged around 100mph for some reason!!
I also seem to think Macca was carried off early on following a horendous tackle??
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 4, 2011, 6:35pm; Reply: 45
One that sticks out for me was a 4-1 win at Huddersfield in the League Cup....September 1979

We absolutely pulled them apart and we were all celebrating in the open end at Leeds Road before it started raining bricks...

Most of their lot left the game early totally demoralised but a few then tried to get their own back on us throwing debris from the back of the ground

All part and parcel of travelling away in those days I guess...coming away from there with a few walking wounded, little did we know that we'd be going to the last eight of the competition and taking Wolves to a second replay

Still my favourite season ever with some other great away games (Chesterfield for example, winning both times 3-2)....those were the days
Posted by: conscorner, November 4, 2011, 7:34pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Northampton away possibly 1978, when you stood behind a rope on the touchline at 2 sides like it was Sunday League. Think we won 2-1 to guarantee promotion that season with about 3 games to go.

Went to that match, think it was mid-week, and walking back to the car got stopped by three detectives looking for information on a murder that had occurred the previous week
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 4, 2011, 7:49pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from conscorner

Went to that match, think it was mid-week, and walking back to the car got stopped by three detectives looking for information on a murder that had occurred the previous week

Your right because my Dad picked me up outside school, didnt know he was planning on going. Dont remember there being a big crowd though considering how important the result would be.
Posted by: marinernige, November 4, 2011, 8:27pm; Reply: 48
One that always sticks in my mind was the rearranged F A Cup 3rd round match away at Millwall(old den),five off us in an old skoda,about 70 town there,losing 1-0 at half-time,but winning 6-1,days of trevor whymark.Tannoy playing Bucks fizz 'land of make believe'.After the match coming out into the car park fairing the worst,our little skoda the only car left,we left quietly but quick! remember ringing big keith Dawson(eggy 'D')from a phone box in the City,giving him stick as he couldn't make the match.
From Millwall it was onto Newcastle and another great win,before losing at QPR in the Firth round.
Great memories and great days out,with so many great mates. Sorry for the long story!
Posted by: conscorner, November 4, 2011, 8:49pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from marinernige
One that always sticks in my mind was the rearranged F A Cup 3rd round match away at Millwall(old den)

Went to the original fixture - got all the way to the ground, sitting on the coach outside the old Den, only to find out the match had been called off! Could not make it to the rearranged match!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 4, 2011, 9:19pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from conscorner

Went to the original fixture - got all the way to the ground, sitting on the coach outside the old Den, only to find out the match had been called off! Could not make it to the rearranged match!

Snap! I was just telling my son the same story CC....went there by car though

Another game that I got to just before it was called off at about 2.00 pm was a league match away at Bristol City (1981 ish)
Posted by: BIGChris, November 4, 2011, 9:27pm; Reply: 51
That fantastic victory @ Twerton Park on 5th Nov 2011? ;)
Posted by: conscorner, November 4, 2011, 9:31pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Snap! I was just telling my son the same story.

I think our coach ended up at Brisbane Road, and we all watched Orient v Charlton

Posted by: Abdul19, November 4, 2011, 9:37pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Les Brechin

Ivano's debut was Charlton at home. He signed the contract on the pitch before the game.

That contract was the one after the money had been raised during his trial period and the surrounding 'Ivano-mania'.

His first game for us (while on 'trial') was at the Valley - we won 1-0 and I think Paul Jewell scored.

IIRC, we turned rubbish as soon as he signed a proper deal, culminating in chicken-gate 2 and a half months later.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 4, 2011, 9:37pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from conscorner

I think our coach ended up at Brisbane Road, and we all watched Orient v Charlton

Rumour had it that the ref that day came from Barnet who happened to be playing Spurs that afternoon...allegedly he'd called our game off so he could get back to watch his local "derby"

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory....strange how our game was the only one around the whole of the London area that was called off!
Posted by: conscorner, November 4, 2011, 9:50pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Rumour had it that the ref that day came from Barnet who happened to be playing Spurs that afternoon...allegedly he'd called our game off so he could get back to watch his local "derby"

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory....strange how our game was the only one around the whole of the London area that was called off!

Yes, plenty of matches on in London that day I seem to remember - I think the coach driver chose Orient on the basis that there would be less hassle with a coach load of Town fans at that fixture!

Away travel before the invention of the mobile phone - great days!

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 4, 2011, 9:50pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Abdul19

That contract was the one after the money had been raised during his trial period and the surrounding 'Ivano-mania'.

His first game for us (while on 'trial') was at the Valley - we won 1-0 and I think Paul Jewell scored.

IIRC, we turned rubbish as soon as he signed a proper deal, culminating in chicken-gate 2 and a half months later.

You are indeed correct, I was getting my Charlton games mixed up. I think the game before the Charlton home game was away at Tranmere when Ivano scored the only goal to send us 2nd in the table.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 4, 2011, 11:17pm; Reply: 57
I travelled on my own to a non-glory match at the Den, Millwall in the mid 70s.  I was in the RAF at Brize Norton so did not have too far too travel.  It was not safe in your days to wear a scarf - certainly not at the Den and on your own.

I did wear a Town lapel badge though and this was noticed on the Tube. No hassle though. I did not see another Town fan at the match.  Not something to shout about though.  I had a radio with me as it was FA Cup day.  Millwall fans were asking about Palace who won 1-0 at Leeds - a big shock.

The match was a 1-1 draw I believe. Nothing special but a good point.  Being at the infamous Den was the highlight or the low light.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 6, 2011, 8:47pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Les Brechin

You are indeed correct, I was getting my Charlton games mixed up. I think the game before the Charlton home game was away at Tranmere when Ivano scored the only goal to send us 2nd in the table.

Happy days. I think the 2-1 at Sheff Utd was also around that time. Did Gary Childs score a brilliant volley that night?
Posted by: mothafunda, November 6, 2011, 10:14pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Abdul19

Happy days. I think the 2-1 at Sheff Utd was also around that time. Did Gary Childs score a brilliant volley that night?

yes, bonetti was left out of the team for some reason that night and southall played (and scored). Gary childs goal was one of the best I have seen - the highlights are on youtube. we could have won 5-1 that night we were ace
Posted by: mothafunda, November 6, 2011, 10:19pm; Reply: 60
the ones that stick out for me are

bradford 0 gtfc 2 (gilbert, watson)
coventry 0 gtfc 1 (jevons)

and that sheff utd won 2-1 (southall, childs)

I have seen more defeats than victories away from home
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 6, 2011, 10:27pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from mothafunda
the ones that stick out for me are

bradford 0 gtfc 2 (gilbert, watson)
coventry 0 gtfc 1 (jevons)

and that sheff utd won 2-1 (southall, childs)

I have seen more defeats than victories away from home

I remember our chant of "Yorkies, Yorkies what's the score" being mentioned on Goals On Sunday by that Nick geezer who went on to work for Sky Sports.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 6, 2011, 11:11pm; Reply: 62
Braintree - I'll never forget it - the most memorable ever -  and I've been watching Town since Christmas Day 1958   :(
Posted by: My cats dreams, November 6, 2011, 11:25pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Ipswin
Braintree - I'll never forget it - the most memorable ever -  and I've been watching Town since Christmas Day 1958   :(

Chasetown is unforgettable
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 7, 2011, 12:46am; Reply: 64
Quoted from aaron rattray

Yeah. He wrote Love's Labours Lost about that time. It was a bout a defeat when we had to field Youth Team goalie Andy Love in a first team match.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 7, 2011, 12:47am; Reply: 65
Quoted from cmackenzie4

There's a highlights clip floating around on You Tube of that game.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 7, 2011, 12:57am; Reply: 66
Quoted from BIGChris

I was living in Herts at the time and remember I got home in a ridiculously quick time. I must have averaged around 100mph for some reason!!
I also seem to think Macca was carried off early on following a horendous tackle??

You just wanted to be first with the "Just Back" thread but got home and realised you'd have to wait for another 7 years for the invention of the Electronic Fishcake!

Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 7, 2011, 12:59am; Reply: 67
Quoted from NorthLeedsMariner

Was a real eye-opener that night. Fabulous player. Despite it being Jewell's goal it was Ivano wot won it.

Andy Stephenson was quick off the mark with the Italian flag too.

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 7, 2011, 7:14am; Reply: 68

There's a highlights clip floating around on You Tube of that game.

It's also on the first post on this thread!  :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 7, 2011, 8:22am; Reply: 69
Quoted from goolemariner
So many to remember, best one for me probably QPR away (2001?) Crouch was playing for QPR then, we were under the cosh all game. They had chance after chance, Coyne unbeatable that day and then Paul Groves miscued a tame shot into the bottom corner right in front of us. We went mental!

i agree. was an amazing weekend!!!! had 10 people kipping at my flat in chiswick (most in the conservatory). got absoluttley hammered before and after the game.
got in free to the hammersmith palais that night too. got on the tube to find dopey nigel from eastenders on the tube. also found ourselves in sainsburys in chiswick at 1 am on the friday night/sat morning playing rugby with a load of stale tiger loaves after drinking an entire fridge full of two dogs (if anyone can remember that!)

was probably about 800-1000 town there and the atmosphere was amazing. just seemed to go mental when we scored and never stopped after!

:P

Posted by: psgmariner, November 7, 2011, 11:07am; Reply: 70

Yeah. He wrote Love's Labours Lost about that time. It was a bout a defeat when we had to field Youth Team goalie Andy Love in a first team match.

His entire oeuvre was based on his love for the Mariners.

Much ado about Nothing was primarily based on the hype surrounding super sub Terry Cooke.

The Taming of the Shrew was inspired by our 3-0 victory against Shrewsbury in 2010. Think the Telelgraph nicked that one.

The Two Noble Kinsmen was an ill thought out celebration of Fenty and Parker's stewardship of GTFC.

King John is the susbsequent damning biogrpahy of our glorious leader.

Oh and The Passionate Pilgrim is a poem about Danny Butterfield and Comedy of Errors needs no explantion.

Posted by: RoboCod, November 7, 2011, 11:12am; Reply: 71
Quoted from psgmariner

His entire oeuvre was based on his love for the Mariners.

Much ado about Nothing was primarily based on the hype surrounding super sub Terry Cooke.

The Taming of the Shrew was inspired by our 3-0 victory against Shrewsbury in 2010. Think the Telelgraph nicked that one.

The Two Noble Kinsmen was an ill thought out celebration of Fenty and Parker's stewardship of GTFC.

King John is the susbsequent damning biogrpahy of our glorious leader.

Oh and The Passionate Pilgrim is a poem about Danny Butterfield and Comedy of Errors needs no explantion.

He had a reserved seat in the Main Stand. I think it was row 2B. Or not 2B ??  ::)
Posted by: psgmariner, November 7, 2011, 11:18am; Reply: 72
Quoted from RoboCod

He had a reserved seat in the Main Stand. I think it was row 2B. Or not 2B ??  ::)

Top work!

This seems quiet appropiate at the moment as well:

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III).

Right I really should do some work now.
Posted by: Pontoon Steve, November 7, 2011, 11:50am; Reply: 73
Quoted from conscorner

Yeap i can remember that one aswell.
Went to watch Orient v Charlton instead, if i,m right in remembering 3 coach loads from town went to this match. We even went in wearing our town scarves and singing town songs.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 7, 2011, 4:39pm; Reply: 74
does anyone know if there is footage of the town v stoke game from circa 1990/1991 ??????
never got to see it and was my proper first away game
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 7, 2011, 4:54pm; Reply: 75
Unfortunately I'm of the generation that wasn't old enough to go to away games regularly until post 1998 and, by consequence, I've only seen us win away twice (out of many away days I assure you): Barnet 2006/7 1-0 and last season at Histon.

One of my favourites was Lincoln away in 2004/5 - the atmosphere was absolutely electric. And one to forget QPR away.

I can't remember the year but we lost 1-0 having been given a dubious penalty in front of the Town end of Loftus Rd only for Daryl Clare to miss and the ref to level it up giving QPR their own dubious one at the other end and Mikel Beck - the Danish international who feature on the day's match programme and who we met in the car park and signed an autograph on the cover for us -to duly slot is home. The 4 hour drive back to Skegness with 2 QPR fans was long to say the least. Memorable for the wrong reasons.

Posted by: timmo, February 20, 2012, 12:40pm; Reply: 76
Accrington in that fateful season, 2 - 0 down HT as we all know come back to win 3 - 2. Atmosphere was awesome in the 2nd half.

Also Histon last season, 6 - 1 after beating Mansfield 7 - 2. That day was awesome went in fancy dress few pints craught up with few friends before the game.

UTM
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, February 20, 2012, 8:02pm; Reply: 77
mansfield, 79/80 promotion season. i remember being in the side stand and spent most of the game watching the town fans behind the goal after a coppers helmet landed on the pitch. think the score was 0-0 in the end.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 7:49pm