Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 3, 2011, 9:41am
Carrying on the recent trend who were the worse band you ever saw live.

For me it was The Farm, circa All Together Now. Saw them at Hull City Hall and they were,dreadful. The support act The Frank n Walters were superb though.
Posted by: Paddymariner, August 3, 2011, 10:04am; Reply: 1
The worst live acts I've seen are Elton John closely followed by Bob Dylan.
Posted by: grimsbyreaper, August 3, 2011, 10:20am; Reply: 2
Saw Jay-z (ok technically not a band) as the support act to U2 in Sydney ANZ Stadium last year. Absolutely dreadful. We left and headed to the bar, which was packed with eveyone else who had exited the arena to avoid the assualt on the eardrums.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, August 3, 2011, 10:40am; Reply: 3
U2
The new Guns N Roses
MGMT(great first album, they just cant cut it live)
Papa Roach
Posted by: gobby, August 3, 2011, 11:46am; Reply: 4
The Men They Couldnt Hang, supported David Bowie at The Milton Keynes Bowl and were dreadful. Another support act on the same bill was a group called 2way Street who were very good.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2011, 11:59am; Reply: 5
The White stripes are the worst band i have seen live by a country mile...followed by the Libertines and Embrace...intercourse me, all very dreadful...Infact, the White Stripes are a band which should have never been...i can't see how they are good and live they are shocking, were shocking...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 3, 2011, 12:02pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from aldi_01
The White stripes are the worst band i have seen live by a country mile...followed by the Libertines and Embrace...intercourse me, all very dreadful...Infact, the White Stripes are a band which should have never been...i can't see how they are good and live they are shocking, were shocking...

I would put a White Stripes headline slot at Leeds Festival as one of the best gigs I've been at. Also saw The Raconteurs in Manchester which was excellent.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2011, 12:03pm; Reply: 7
Each to their own but i just got bored and my ears were offended at their awful sound shoddy timing etc...i know some say its part of it blahblah but for me its not, they aren't avant garde or jazz or something weird, therefore there is no excuse for bad timing...unless you are an awful drummer like she was....
Posted by: forza ivano, August 3, 2011, 12:08pm; Reply: 8
gary numan at shepherds bush - god it was so boring.i was driving, so couldn't even prop up the bar., was reduced to counting how many tracks he'd done in the hope that it couldn't go on for much longer
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 3, 2011, 12:20pm; Reply: 9
I went to see Spiritualized in Leeds. I really like them but they're quite low key live and it was a Tuesday or something so I was having a quiet one. The first hour was great, the second hour started to drag and I left somewhere during the third hour.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2011, 12:25pm; Reply: 10
Agreed on Spiritualized...yes, its all very clever etc but i was bored half way through and spent the remainder of the gig just looking up at the ceiling of the venue and wondering which pub would be best to go to after...
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 3, 2011, 12:27pm; Reply: 11
Plus the White Stripes are responsible for the "We're the black n white army" riff.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 3, 2011, 12:28pm; Reply: 12
Sad thing is, i prefer the football fan version...we keep time better...
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 3, 2011, 12:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from aldi_01
Agreed on Spiritualized...yes, its all very clever etc but i was bored half way through and spent the remainder of the gig just looking up at the ceiling of the venue and wondering which pub would be best to go to after...

Shouldn't you have been gazing at your shoes rather than the ceiling.  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, August 3, 2011, 12:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I went to see Spiritualized in Leeds. I really like them but they're quite low key live and it was a Tuesday or something so I was having a quiet one. The first hour was great, the second hour started to drag and I left somewhere during the third hour.

just reminded me of another terrible gig - half a dozen two tone heroes/heroines decided to do a tour just doing acapella/guitar versions of their tunes. tickets sold well and the place was packed with skins/rude boys n girls ready for arollocking good night of skanking. got into the hall, and got  my first inkling that something was badly wrong when we found rows of seats set out. wtf? anyway we duly took our seats and our hearts began sinking - the first people left after the 2 nd song, with many more streaming out as each terrible version was played out. we lasted until the break and headed to the pub. the venue must've been deserted  for the 2nd half. have never left a gig early before or since.simply awful
Posted by: CairnsMariner, August 3, 2011, 2:15pm; Reply: 15
Kim Wilde supporting Michael Jackson on the Bad tour. Rubbish (we started complaining about the shoddy condition of Wembley's floodlights, such was the tedium)
Clolsely followed by CCCP supporting Big Country a long time ago. Embarrassing to watch otherwise instantly forgettable.
Posted by: Japers, August 3, 2011, 2:53pm; Reply: 16
Worst band ever saw Blur on the Rollercoaster tour just dreadful.
Limp Bizkit at Reading 2000
Puressence (who i had seen before and really enjoyed , but this time small venue some guy made Manc joke and they could not be bothered after that.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 3, 2011, 9:43pm; Reply: 17
Level 42.Whatever possessed me to go in the first place i don't know and they turned out to be worse than i imagined.Lasted about 5 songs and hit the bars of Manchester.

Elvis Costello at York Barbican.Not a huge fan but he has written some good songs.Think it was the most boring gig i've ever attended and i've been to some boring ones.

Journey a few weeks back were boring as well.Seen them twice before in smaller venues and they were excellent.T'other week at the G-Mex,they just went through the motions.First support band Styx were better and i don't even like them.Second support band Foreigner were the best of the night and again i'm not a big fan.Plus it drunk down all day and all the pubs shut about 11,which is strange when you are in a big city.
Posted by: Youngy, August 3, 2011, 10:04pm; Reply: 18
Red Hot Chili Peppers, just a boring boring live act
Posted by: jungleland, August 4, 2011, 2:09pm; Reply: 19

the two that stand out for me .. watching paul weller going thru the motions in sheffield arogant twit never once acknowledged the crowd stood in the rain watching him   and the same  vain bob dylan  at nec  very boring  had hoped for better
Posted by: Biccys, August 4, 2011, 3:24pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Youngy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, just a boring boring live act

I concur. Even though I love the band, live they were poor. They treat it as if it were just a jam session and were at many points during the set huddled round together it appeared to be discussing what to play next. That's not a show, it's a cop out.
Posted by: Townfantom, August 4, 2011, 3:31pm; Reply: 21
Saw Bob Dylan at Sheffield arena 2 years ago and he sounded awful. Good in his early years though.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, August 5, 2011, 10:08am; Reply: 22
I've seen both sides of the chilli peppers at the Reading festival, first pre-Californication which was ace and the second a few years ago again at Reading and they were abysmal, as previously said it was just like a long jam session and not a particularly good one either.
Posted by: siy2k5, August 9, 2011, 12:35am; Reply: 23
Quoted from aldi_01
Each to their own but i just got bored and my ears were offended at their awful sound shoddy timing etc...i know some say its part of it blahblah but for me its not, they aren't avant garde or jazz or something weird, therefore there is no excuse for bad timing...unless you are an awful drummer like she was....

Gilly's a better drummer than that talentless bint.

Posted by: Brazilnut, August 9, 2011, 12:48pm; Reply: 24
Meatloaf at sheffield......might as well put a cd on and hung a poster  for all the interaction.....just never acknowledged the crowd at all
Posted by: coddy60, August 10, 2011, 2:57am; Reply: 25
Took my missus to watch the Kooks, would rather lick p*ss off a nettle than watch them again...
Posted by: carrot top, August 10, 2011, 2:19pm; Reply: 26
Went to see Deep Purple in the early nineties. They were disappointingly crap
Posted by: siy2k5, August 10, 2011, 3:21pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from carrot top
Went to see Deep Purple in the early nineties. They were disappointingly crap

Agree there! Saw them at the auditorium must have been mid-late '90s and they were disappointing.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, August 10, 2011, 4:37pm; Reply: 28
Edison Lighthouse: years ago (late 70's) in South Shields, they seemed to be more p1ssed than I was!
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 13, 2011, 7:22am; Reply: 29
Saw Marilyn Manson whilst waiting for Linkin Park at the download and Manson was excrement, couldn't sing and was just a big nosed weirdo.  I also got a clip round the ear off the missus for gawping at how the women were dressed.  Manson slaughtered Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), August 13, 2011, 8:05am; Reply: 30
Guns and Roses at Maine Road in 1992. Making us all wait five or six hours for you to come on does not endear the crowd. By the time they made it on, people weren't bothered anymore.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 13, 2011, 9:46am; Reply: 31
I think axl Rose was the beginning and first rock star in the 'style over substance' genre, a la Peter docherty, johnny borrell, etc.

Over time and many listens  also starting to think that guns n roses fit into the very over rated bracket.
I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing the libertines not once but twice, the second time to see if they'd improved, they hadn't, they'd got even worse...a truly awful awful over rated pile of male masturbation.
Posted by: Biccys, August 15, 2011, 2:23pm; Reply: 32
I know people that slated Oasis's live performances as well. Just over an hour of playing after waiting for more than 2 hours after the proposed start time didn't endear them either!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 15, 2011, 3:04pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Biccys
I know people that slated Oasis's live performances as well. Just over an hour of playing after waiting for more than 2 hours after the proposed start time didn't endear them either!

I've seen Oasis live probably a dozen times. Very erratic, often depending on if Liam could be arsed. When he's on top of his game, he's fantastic. I took the missus to Nottingham to see Oasis once, Liam sung two songs during which he continually shouted abuse at the sound crew before throwing his miicrophone at them. When he got another microphone back he tried to finish the gig after three songs. He left and Noel took over - urine poor. Liam reckoned he'd had a hard night the night before.
Posted by: Biccys, August 15, 2011, 3:31pm; Reply: 34
That's appalling. I thought it was the norm that they just played the hour long set but for him to behave like a spolit kid is just disgraceful. No wonder Noel packed it in!
Posted by: Perkins, August 15, 2011, 4:21pm; Reply: 35
Went to see the Beatles at Lincoln ABC in 63 (i think) See was the operative word as i heard sod all for the screaming, although they did have a habit of not even turning their amps on as it was nearly impossible to hear anything themselves with all the racket going on.
Years later, i was in Liverpool and was given a free ticket to Mcartney's homecoming concert with Wings. Now being a confirmed non Mcartney fan i went along to see if i could flog the ticket. Flog it? i couldn't give the bloody thing away, so i used it myself and have to say it was without a doubt the worst gig i have ever been too, and iv'e been to some bad ones over the years. Even his confirmed fans were walking out after 25 minutes.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 16, 2011, 12:08am; Reply: 36
They packed it in because unfortunately, Noels ego got too big and henbecame a bigger girl private than liam. Having met Liam, he like any other big rock star front man has an act. Having seem oasis 25 times they were only late once and Liam was only excrement once. Bands are like football teams, they'll peak and trough simple as...

The libertines are still the worst band I have ever seen along with the White stripes, although on reflection, the libertines were far worse.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 16, 2011, 12:10am; Reply: 37
Adding to the mcartney comments...I know  several people who have seen him an have said he's bloody awful and boring. Then again I know people who have said the same about te rolling stones, who incidentally charge their support bands to watch the gig...
Posted by: Mariner_501, August 16, 2011, 1:33am; Reply: 38
Quoted from aldi_01
They packed it in because unfortunately, Noels ego got too big and henbecame a bigger girl private than liam. Having met Liam, he like any other big rock star front man has an act. Having seem oasis 25 times they were only late once and Liam was only excrement once. Bands are like football teams, they'll peak and trough simple as...

The libertines are still the worst band I have ever seen along with the White stripes, although on reflection, the libertines were far worse.

Never saw The Libertines live but their music isn't bad? In fact one of the better British bands since Oasis, who happen to be my all time favorite band, no other compares.
Posted by: mothafunda, August 16, 2011, 6:52pm; Reply: 39
the worst bands I have seen are in no particular order

dirty pretty things
lost prophets
the fratellis
happy mondays
Posted by: 97 (Guest), August 16, 2011, 8:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from mothafunda
the worst bands I have seen are in no particular order

happy mondays

I bet this was post 1991 and the smack habit? In any case, you expect some degree of a shambles when you watch a band like Happy Mondays, it's all part of the show. I saw Black Grape at Doncaster Dome in 1995 and it was genuinely mental. More like being in an away end than a gig.
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 8:07am