Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 1, 2011, 1:41am
you all know me by my username, but my proper name is Matthew, but everyone just calls me Matty or Matt...  :)

well i've got alot of stuff on my mind at the moment and i thought i may share it with you all...

on May 1st 2008, i was diagnosed with a form of cancer called "RHADOMYOSARCOMA", complicated name, i know. i was 16 when i was diagnosed and to tell you truth, i couldn't believe it at the time, a normally healthy, slightly athletic person like me, to te be quite honest i couldn't believe it at the time. the fact is, it had been coming...

in november 2007 i was studying sport at my local 6th form college, when i started to notice something abnormal on a certain part of my anatomy, and it wasn't until the day after i broke up for the christmas holidays, 21st of december, when i mentioned it to my parents,. yeah i know it was stupid of me to leave it till that late to mention it to my mum n dad, but how else could i put it to them at the time  :B

well we had a family holiday to Florida coming up at the end of march, ironically we flew out while town were playing franchise at Wemnley, and i was damn well determined to go on this holiday at the time ...

so came back middle of april, went straight in hospital, and had this massive tumour removed. well a week and a half after being diagnosed i began a 6 month long course of really aggressive chemotherapy that left me really ran down and feeling awful, especially when i couldn't eat solid food for a long period. well all my friends from school and college were there, and they came over on my 17th in June

note how i look really gaunt there, that was just before my 3rd round of chemo

the highlight of my birthday was getting that seasons new home shirt, and a letter from Alan Buckley saying that "i hope you get well soon, and that your back at Blundell Park in the near future"  :) . in November i had a major operation to remove Lymph Nodes and other bits of tumour, aswell as the right spermatic chord  :B , and then in the middle of December i began a 5 week long course of Radiotherapy. The only Home game i made that season was the 5-1 win over Lincoln City  :) so it felt really good to be back at Blundell Park after missing the majority of the season, i did attend the scunny game in pre-season aswell as the paint trophy game against them, so 3 games in one season was about it...

then a week before my 18th, i got the phone call i'd been waiting for saying that they'd given me as much treatment that they could throw at me, and that they would take out the tubes that had been in me for the best part of 11 months  :) , of course that wasn't to happen until after going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. well i've had routine check-ups and chest x-rays since, and my recent scan a few weeks ago i'll be getting the results back thursday, but i'm god damn terrified about the results though  :(

but you look at me now, and i feel as good as i did this time 4 years ago  :)
Posted by: Biccys, February 1, 2011, 9:27am; Reply: 1
Quite a journey you've had fella. Really hope things go well on thursday. Keep fighting.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 1, 2011, 9:28am; Reply: 2
Will be thinking of you on Thursday Matt - really hope it's good news for you.
Posted by: gobby, February 1, 2011, 9:46am; Reply: 3
So much Trauma for one so young, but keep fighting buddy, really hope Thursday brings the reults you want. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 1, 2011, 12:50pm; Reply: 4
All the best mate and I hope you get the results you want.

I also got a signed shirt and a get well card too from Mr Buckley when I was laid in in Hull Royal just after I had treatment to remove a brain tumour but I was lucky as it wasn't cancerous and I haven't had to have any chemo or radiotherapy.

Family will certainly help you get through this mate, I know I couldn't have got through what I did without mine.
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 1, 2011, 1:02pm; Reply: 5
best of luck mate....try not top worry....you cant alter the results now .......it will be ok....sometimes you just know these things
Posted by: dave12, February 1, 2011, 1:27pm; Reply: 6
glad you've got a lot better mate.Having such a problem with your health for someone so young must have been really hard .Glad you feel much better  and I hope the test results bring good news for you
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2011, 1:28pm; Reply: 7
All the best and I hope it is good news.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2011, 4:06pm; Reply: 8
Keep your chin up Matt you are a fighter,

You will beat this thing mate,
Posted by: MargeMariner, February 1, 2011, 5:22pm; Reply: 9
I know  only too well, what you and your parents are going through,  people tell you to be positive, it's hard, but you have youth and fitness on your side. It's great you feel you can talk about it on here. Chin up and hope it's a good report on thursday.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 1, 2011, 6:25pm; Reply: 10
All the best for Thursday mate. I'll be thinking of you.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 1, 2011, 8:57pm; Reply: 11
"but you look at me now, and i feel as good as i did this time 4 years ago"

Fingers crossed for you mate, hell of a journey.  Hopefully the way you feel, the part I quoted is a sign that you've won through.
Posted by: alvinghammariner, February 1, 2011, 10:40pm; Reply: 12
Good luck buddy, you on the coach for newport?
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 2, 2011, 1:23pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from alvinghammariner
Good luck buddy, you on the coach for newport?

i'm thinking about it, and thanks for the support guys  :)

Quoted Text

"but you look at me now, and i feel as good as i did this time 4 years ago"

Fingers crossed for you mate, hell of a journey.  Hopefully the way you feel, the part I quoted is a sign that you've won through.

it's a 5 year stretch from the day you get diagnosed, so with a bit of luck, i'll be hitting 22, when/if i get the all clear
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 2, 2011, 1:48pm; Reply: 14
I've had illnesses before, and I've seen my children grow up, luckily, without anything you've gone through - and for that I count myself very lucky indeed. The very best of luck with fighting your illness, and hoping you pull through to see Town in the Premiership one day.
Posted by: bladerunnner, February 2, 2011, 6:29pm; Reply: 15
like someone said,you have youth and fitness going for you,hope you will be ok,you look like a decent young lad. all the best son,let us on here know how your treatment and that is going,and if you need owt im sure no-one on here will mind you sending them a "p.m" for what you want doing. :)
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, February 2, 2011, 7:36pm; Reply: 16
Good Luck for 2moz matt,You can ring me if you wanna Talk  :P
Posted by: topuphere666, February 2, 2011, 11:16pm; Reply: 17
All the best !
Posted by: kingofthekippers, February 2, 2011, 11:35pm; Reply: 18
For a 38 year-old who is 5 6 stone overweight, you put me to chronic shame. Here's looking at you kid, as they say.  

Take comfort that we Fishies may be a small-ish community but we are gunning for you,
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, February 3, 2011, 10:06am; Reply: 19
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago mate and then I had my ball ache of an accident. . . . Its not how many times you fall over, its how many times you pick yourself that counts.

I used to hate people feeling sorry for me, but people just dont know how to react or offer their support, I had a form of cancer in my palette a few years back and came back from that (I'm not trying to top trump you or anything). . .Its not sympathy that gets you through its encouragement.

All I can say is the same thing I get told. . Persistance pays off, The only person who can tell you you cannot come back from a setback is yourself.

All the best mate and I will buy you a pint when I next see you
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, February 3, 2011, 12:09pm; Reply: 20
Hope everything went alrite mate.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, February 3, 2011, 12:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Hope everything went alrite mate.

I'm in Grimsby I'll pop over in a bit . . .I'd text but I cant reach my mobile telephone
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, February 3, 2011, 1:40pm; Reply: 22
It's looking like bad news I'm affraid Matt's just txt me And something has showed up on his scan  :(

I really hope its nothing matt, he said he will tell us more as he find's it out  :(

UTM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 3, 2011, 7:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WELLSY_GTFC
It's looking like bad news I'm affraid Matt's just txt me And something has showed up on his scan  :(

I really hope its nothing matt, he said he will tell us more as he find's it out  :(

UTM

and i said i would do...

yep, something showed up on the scan, looks like another lump, same as where it was last time, now so far the scan shows it as being in one spot, and having not spread  :)

now the consultants are having a meeting on monday, to suggest what to do, so looks like a bone scan and a c.t. scan, and possibly surgery

IT AIN'T OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS, AND SHE ISN'T EVEN GOING TO NEITHER  ;)
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 3, 2011, 7:11pm; Reply: 24
Keep up the good spirits Matt....
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, February 3, 2011, 7:37pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MarinerMatt24

and i said i would do...

yep, something showed up on the scan, looks like another lump, same as where it was last time, now so far the scan shows it as being in one spot, and having not spread  :)

now the consultants are having a meeting on monday, to suggest what to do, so looks like a bone scan and a c.t. scan, and possibly surgery

Thats better news than matt, good luck mate Hope you can make the cambrigde game there will be a pint or two going your way  :P ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 3, 2011, 7:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from WELLSY_GTFC

Thats better news than matt, good luck mate Hope you can make the cambrigde game there will be a pint or two going your way  :P ;)

Sly2k5 owes me one anyway  :P

i'm going into round 2 "all guns blazing"  ;D
Posted by: Townfantom, February 3, 2011, 8:02pm; Reply: 27
I hope everything will be OK for you Matt, I'm sure it will be mate.  :)

P.s Just seen the Facebook link at the bottom of your signiture. I'll add you  ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 3, 2011, 8:24pm; Reply: 28

With global support (I'm currently in the Falklands) you've got the Gods on your side, best of luck buddy.
Posted by: barralad, February 3, 2011, 8:39pm; Reply: 29
Sorry it wasn't better news. Keep positive mate!!
Posted by: kingofthekippers, February 3, 2011, 9:14pm; Reply: 30
Sorry to hear the news today. We're all behind ya. As barra says, keep positive.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 3, 2011, 10:42pm; Reply: 31
you know, i'm not sure how i'm feeling at the minute, but it's a mix of...

urined off
shook up
gloomy

but then you guys just make life worth living :)

anyway...

2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, 2-0!!!, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0, I'M GONNA WIN 2-0!!!  :) ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 4, 2011, 12:06am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Townfantom
I hope everything will be OK for you Matt, I'm sure it will be mate.  :)

i may have to make some "pointless posts" just for a bit of humour  ;) ;D

Posted by: Les Brechin, February 4, 2011, 7:42am; Reply: 33
You won the first battle mate, now you've just got to go on and win the war.

Another brain tumour survivior told me that when he was a kid his dad told him "Don't ever START a fight with anyone son, but if someone starts a fight with you, then make damn sure YOU FINISH it" What a great way to think.
Posted by: gobby, February 4, 2011, 7:47am; Reply: 34
Keep fighting Matt., I am not a gambling man but i would put a fiver on 2 - 0 to the Mattmeister 8)
UTMM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 4, 2011, 2:44pm; Reply: 35
i've got an update for you...

got a Positron Emission Tomography "PET" Scan booked for wednesday 9th (next week), so i should get a much better idea on what's about to come  :)
Posted by: mariner91, February 4, 2011, 5:47pm; Reply: 36
i've got an update for you...

got a Positron Emission Tomography "PET" Scan booked for wednesday 9th (next week), so i should get a much better idea on what's about to come  :)

Here's hoping for some positive news.
Posted by: CairnsMariner, February 6, 2011, 10:16am; Reply: 37
Just to echo what's already been said Matt, good luck for Wednesday. I know it is easier said than done, but a positive outlook is a hell of a way to start any battle. You sound like a battler mate and i reckon that bodes well for your future. As one of the farther flung members of the Mariners extended family, I'm sending some poitive antipodean thoughts your way. UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, February 6, 2011, 2:02pm; Reply: 38
All the best mate, keep fighting.
Posted by: Corkyefes, February 7, 2011, 7:14pm; Reply: 39
Inspiring story mate!

If anybody can beat this f*cker you can!!

Keep your chin up fellow mariner! You can do it!!
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 7, 2011, 9:06pm; Reply: 40
so it's the Positron Emission Tomography "PET" Scan on Wednesday and then a Bone Scan on the thursday, and both scans involve being injected with something, which i need to let settle into me for a certain amount of time...

in the pet scan's case i need to have a radioactive substance injected into me, lay still for an hour, and then get on the scanner for another half hour, and the worst thing...

NO BLOODY BREAKFAST OR ANYTHING TO EAT BEFOREHAND
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

and in the case of the bone scan, injected with something or other, leave it to settle in for 3 hours, go and do whatever i want in that time, and then on that scanner...

you ever get the feeling somebody just doesn't like you
???
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2011, 9:11pm; Reply: 41
so it's the Positron Emission Tomography "PET" Scan on Wednesday and then a Bone Scan on the thursday, and both scans involve being injected with something, which i need to let settle into me for a certain amount of time...

in the pet scan's case i need to have a radioactive substance injected into me, lay still for an hour, and then get on the scanner for another half hour, and the worst thing...

All the best Matt, hope all goes ok. It sounds a bit similar to the MRI scan I have to have each year. They stick me in a tube for about half an hour, noisy as hell, bring me out and inject me with some sort of ink or dye then stick me back in for another half hour or so. It's a bloody good job I'm not claustrophobic cos you just can't move in that bloody scanner.
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 7, 2011, 9:40pm; Reply: 42
I really hope everything goes well for you Matt, My thoughts are with you right now and I hope you remain
as positive as ever. You seem like a real fighter, take inspiration from Wrawbz, cos that lad knows how to fight too.

Good luck for Wednesday mate. Regards, Tiny.  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2011, 8:50pm; Reply: 43
Positive vibes going your way mate.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 10, 2011, 8:57pm; Reply: 44
that's 2, yes 2!!! scans in 2 days over and done with...  :)

now let me get to Blundell Park on saturday, pre-match pint in The Imp... sly2k5 your buying, just remember my shirt number  ;) ;D
Posted by: Biccys, February 11, 2011, 8:28am; Reply: 45
Blimey, with your descriptions of the scans, Fenty will be using you as a cheap power source for the floodlights.

Hope everything's fine and dandy for you fella.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 14, 2011, 5:26pm; Reply: 46
just had confirmation guys...

there is a lump, PET/CT Scan doesn't show it as having spread, so it could just be a case of knockout gas and under the knife...

chemo could still be an option, but need to wait and see...  :)
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 14, 2011, 7:04pm; Reply: 47
Good luck with it all Matt. Keep Positive.  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2011, 7:28pm; Reply: 48
I'll second that,keep your pecker up mate.
Posted by: topuphere666, February 15, 2011, 2:34pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings
I'll second that,keep your pecker up mate.

Oeerrr
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 15, 2011, 4:34pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Biccys
Blimey, with your descriptions of the scans, Fenty will be using you as a cheap power source for the floodlights.

Hope everything's fine and dandy for you fella.

the funny thing is, even though i had the radioactive substance injected into me on the wednesday, on the thursday when i had the other scan, i walked through a door at the hospital, and then an alarm started going off afterwards
;D
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 15, 2011, 4:54pm; Reply: 51

the funny thing is, even though i had the radioactive substance injected into me on the wednesday, on the thursday when i had the other scan, i walked through a door at the hospital, and then an alarm started going off afterwards
;D

You walked straight through a door?

Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 15, 2011, 5:43pm; Reply: 52
meant to say walked through the open door way and then the alarm went off as i went through
Posted by: bladerunnner, February 15, 2011, 8:29pm; Reply: 53
;)
meant to say walked through the open door way and then the alarm went off as i went through

kin' hell mate!....they haven't left a pair of forceps inside you have they ??)......it happens ;)....regarding the lump they found? is it in the same area as the original tumours? if so then they haven't cleared all the dodgy bits up first time round?........i don't wanna say anything to jonah you or owt matt but it sounds as if it ain't spread mate,which is kinda good news eh mate?  at least now you know what your'e up against.  good luck mate all town fans wish you a speedy recovery im sure,iv'e seen your picture on here so when i see you in the imp i,ll get you one in son, utm. ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 15, 2011, 11:05pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from bladerunnner
;)

kin' hell mate!....they haven't left a pair of forceps inside you have they ??)......it happens ;)....regarding the lump they found? is it in the same area as the original tumours? if so then they haven't cleared all the dodgy bits up first time round?........i don't wanna say anything to jonah you or owt matt but it sounds as if it ain't spread mate,which is kinda good news eh mate?  at least now you know what your'e up against.  good luck mate all town fans wish you a speedy recovery im sure,iv'e seen your picture on here so when i see you in the imp i,ll get you one in son, utm. ;)

same area as last time, partly because the 5 weeks of Radiotherapy i had, left a little spot glowing around there, and nope it HASN'T spread.  :)

now i just want them to get me booked in for surgery sooner rather than later  :)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 17, 2011, 12:17pm; Reply: 55
it feels like i'm getting somewhere now lads, and ladies ;)

i've got an appointment on tuesday afternoon (22/02/11) at Nottingham City Hospital, with a Dr Hennig, so long as i'm back for the Forest Green match, i don't mind...

;) ;D

think i may ask them, before the operation, if they'll remove my appendix while i'm on the operating table...
Posted by: mariner91, February 17, 2011, 4:18pm; Reply: 56
Great news Matt, keep fighting.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 18, 2011, 8:10pm; Reply: 57
Keep up the fight mate, your fighting spirit should be used to inspire the Town players.  You got that Grimsby grit the old boys talk about.  I would suggest that the players come and rub themselves up and down on you but it wouldn't look right.  You'll have to find another way of passing that Grimsby grit on to them ;D

Best of luck from the Falklands Matt.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 18, 2011, 8:17pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Marinerz93
Keep up the fight mate, your fighting spirit should be used to inspire the Town players.  You got that Grimsby grit the old boys talk about.  I would suggest that the players come and rub themselves up and down on you but it wouldn't look right.  You'll have to find another way of passing that Grimsby grit on to them ;D

Best of luck from the Falklands Matt.

Always thought you'd get walked all over our there  ;)  :P

Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 21, 2011, 10:13pm; Reply: 59
wish me luck tomorrow guys, finding out what's going on with this tumour tomorrow, i'll try and get an update to you afterwards, if Wellsy doesn't mind posting it for me on here  ;)

hope you got me txt mate.
Posted by: kingofthekippers, February 21, 2011, 11:15pm; Reply: 60
wish me luck tomorrow guys, finding out what's going on with this tumour tomorrow, i'll try and get an update to you afterwards, if Wellsy doesn't mind posting it for me on here  ;)

Fingers crossed, all the best.
Posted by: Biccys, February 22, 2011, 8:23am; Reply: 61
I think the collective fishy are crossing fingers, legs, fins, toes, the lot. Good luck fella.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 22, 2011, 2:01pm; Reply: 62
Best of British Matt.
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, February 22, 2011, 2:14pm; Reply: 63

Yep sure did mate good luck speak to you at the match tonight  ;)
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, February 22, 2011, 3:26pm; Reply: 64
Looking like fantastic news they don't think it has spread and could go under the knife in around 2 weeks

Great news matt

UTFM
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 22, 2011, 3:52pm; Reply: 65
great news ........chuffed to bits and best of luck the the stuff to come
Posted by: mariner91, February 22, 2011, 6:24pm; Reply: 66
Great stuff.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 22, 2011, 8:07pm; Reply: 67
Great to hear. Sure you'll kick it's bottom Matt.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 22, 2011, 10:40pm; Reply: 68
ok so you all know, cheers wellsy, though unfortunately this will be a b@$t@rd to operate on, as they will literally be cutting into my groin area (they did describe it as being like a hernia operation), so whatever happens afterward, i'm likely to miss the majority of the last 15 games,, may be at the odd home game, but i'm hell bent on making Wimbledon away, last game of season  ;)

terry if you read this, it's been a pleasure to travel on the battlebus this season, i'll be back for pre-seaon hopefully  :) ;)
Posted by: kingofthekippers, February 22, 2011, 11:46pm; Reply: 69
Glad to hear the news and TBH after tonight missing the last 15 games of the season may not be as bad as it sounds  ;).  Seriously though great news.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 24, 2011, 3:04pm; Reply: 70
just so you all know, i'm going under the surgeons knife, on tuesday (01/03/11), the surgeons had a slot come available at last minute, shame they won't take my appendix out while they're at it...
:B ;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 24, 2011, 7:04pm; Reply: 71
Best of luck mate, my thoughts are with you.
Posted by: gobby, February 25, 2011, 7:37pm; Reply: 72
Nice to meet you and your dad last Tuesday Matt. Good luck with everything mate. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 25, 2011, 9:42pm; Reply: 73
likewise mate  ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, February 27, 2011, 11:53pm; Reply: 74
well it's gonna be a long week guys, and depending on internet access, you probably won't hear much from me during atleast the next 7 days i'll try and get an update out to you via Wrawbz or Wellsy, it's only a simple case of texting one or the other. cheerio lads and i'll be back in around a weeks time, be around 2 or so before i'm back at Blundell Park to cheer the lads on  :)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 2, 2011, 2:11pm; Reply: 75
Hey Matt, keep going.  The are you seeing anything good quip was just a bit of fun.  I didn't realise you were battling cancer.

I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia in November and had chemo in December.  I am making a full recovery and at the moment I am feeling better than I have done for years. On top of that I was made redundant on Christmas Eve, had to fight my employers for my entitled holiday pay and had my car broken into and written off, so its all been a bit of a shitter for the last three months or so.

Keep going and you are dead right when you say, its doesnt matter how often you fall over, its getting up that counts, and that encouragement is better that sympathy.

UTM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 2, 2011, 5:35pm; Reply: 76
Hey Matt, keep going.  The are you seeing anything good quip was just a bit of fun.  I didn't realise you were battling cancer.

I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia in November and had chemo in December.  I am making a full recovery and at the moment I am feeling better than I have done for years. On top of that I was made redundant on Christmas Eve, had to fight my employers for my entitled holiday pay and had my car broken into and written off, so its all been a bit of a shitter for the last three months or so.

Keep going and you are dead right when you say, its doesnt matter how often you fall over, its getting up that counts, and that encouragement is better that sympathy.

UTM

it's nothing to worry about TLM

they discharged me this afternoon, one night in and that was it, i'm somewhat shocked myself as i was expecting a few days in atleast...

7 days of bed rest now, which i've got no problem with, it's just missing the Wimbledon game on saturday i'm more peeved about  :'( :'( :'(
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 2, 2011, 7:23pm; Reply: 77
Good lad Matt, keep your chin up mate.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 3, 2011, 1:35am; Reply: 78
Take it easy Matt, slowly slowly catchy monkey, tell them you need more bed baths  ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 3, 2011, 4:24pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Marinerz93
Take it easy Matt, slowly slowly catchy monkey, tell them you need more bed baths  ;)

funny really as the discharged me yesterday morning  :), goes to show they're desperate for beds, seeing as i was in for one night  ;D

only downside is no attractive female nurse to give me a bedbath  :'(
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 4, 2011, 12:25am; Reply: 80

funny really as the discharged me yesterday morning  :), goes to show they're desperate for beds, seeing as i was in for one night  ;D

only downside is no attractive female nurse to give me a bedbath  :'(

A young lad like yourself, it was probably best you didn't get a fit nurse to give you a bed bath.  Years ago the college used to do massage, young fit lasses would rub you down for a few quid.  One of the lads I worked with was a bit of a jack the lad so he was bragging about going and how great it would be.  I asked him a few days later because he hadn't mentioned how he got on.  "Mate" he said "it was going brilliantly until I got a hard on, the bird looked at my towel and saw I had a hard on, she said do you fancy a male masturbation. I tried to play it cool and said yeah why not. Anyway she went out the room, I thought it was to get some lube and I must have been sat there for a few minutes before I realised she wasn't coming back, so I legged it"  ;D
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 7, 2011, 3:48pm; Reply: 81
got a letter in the post today, says that...

"due to unforeseen circumstances, your appointment for 29th of March, has been brought forward to 15th of March"

could mean anything really...
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 8, 2011, 9:34am; Reply: 82
got a letter in the post today, says that...

"due to unforeseen circumstances, your appointment for 29th of March, has been brought forward to 15th of March"

could mean anything really...

Hopefully, it's the consultant or whoever your appointment is with, are going on holiday then so they have brought it forward.

Best of luck fella
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 8, 2011, 9:36am; Reply: 83
Quoted from Marinerz93

Hopefully, it's the consultant or whoever your appointment is with, are going on holiday then so they have brought it forward.

Best of luck fella

mum figured out it was because i got the op done somewhat earlier than they (surgeons) had planned...
;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 11, 2011, 7:02pm; Reply: 84
ok so on tuesday, i see the consultants for the follow up appointment, and hopefully i'll be back at Blundell Park which IS WHERE I BLOODY BELONG!!!
(groupwave)

also at the minute the time i'm spending to recover is really starting to get me down  :(
Posted by: voice of reason, March 11, 2011, 7:04pm; Reply: 85
ok so on tuesday, i see the consultants for the follow up appointment, and hopefully i'll be back at Blundell Park which IS WHERE I BLOODY BELONG!!!
(groupwave)

also at the minute the time i'm spending to recover is really starting to get me down  :(

There is always someone else worse off though matt, keep reminding yourself that and count your blessings...
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 15, 2011, 11:39pm; Reply: 86
i've really got to think about how to put this now, but i've had really excrement news today...

the thing is, they didn't get all the tumour out, they want me in again sooner rather than later, they reckon they make take a chunk, unno how big a chunk yet, out of my abdomen area, and they'll end up doing a skin-graft and bit of plastic surgery aswell...
Posted by: Biccys, March 16, 2011, 8:08am; Reply: 87
i've really got to think about how to put this now, but i've had really excrement news today...

the thing is, they didn't get all the tumour out, they want me in again sooner rather than later, they reckon they make take a chunk, unno how big a chunk yet, out of my abdomen area, and they'll end up doing a skin-graft and bit of plastic surgery aswell...

Yoikes. Still, they've found out now rather than later. That can only be a positive.

And you'll have a cool scar for the beach!
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 20, 2011, 1:18am; Reply: 88
Agree with Biccy's here Matt and you could tell them the scar/scars was from fighting off scunt whores who wanted your genes  ;)
Posted by: Codstrewth, March 25, 2011, 7:11am; Reply: 89
Hey Matty, don’t be worrying about scars mate, they will have a look when it starts healing whether you need a graft, most times they don’t. Watch out for infection mate, keep it covered up.
Just spent the last 7 months backwards and forwards to Sheff children’s hospital with our daughter, who had AML and ALL so know what your going through mate, more than most people, your in the best hands possible, make no mistake, stay positive.
Our Emma didn’t make it; I can say no more................
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 25, 2011, 6:38pm; Reply: 90
the thing is, they reckon taking a chunk out of me is the better option, instead of cutting into and stitching back up again, now all i know, from having phoned them on wednesday about it, is that they want to do it in the next 30 days, but i don't have an exact date yet...
(wallbash2)(wallbash2)(wallbash2)

they reckon that ripping a piece out of me, and then doing the skin graft while i'm out for the count is the better option, as they reckon that throwing chemo and radio at me won't be as effective, this one popped up in the same spot that i had radiotherapy blasted at me...
:-/
Posted by: bradzmilne, March 31, 2011, 9:23pm; Reply: 91
hi matt, just keep battling pal a really inspiring story. You have a lot of people supporting you just remember me and the whole of thefishy is behind you. Keep going mate  :)
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 31, 2011, 9:34pm; Reply: 92
the thing is, they reckon taking a chunk out of me is the better option, instead of cutting into and stitching back up again, now all i know, from having phoned them on wednesday about it, is that they want to do it in the next 30 days, but i don't have an exact date yet...
(wallbash2)(wallbash2)(wallbash2)

they reckon that ripping a piece out of me, and then doing the skin graft while i'm out for the count is the better option, as they reckon that throwing chemo and radio at me won't be as effective, this one popped up in the same spot that i had radiotherapy blasted at me...

It sounds aggressive what they are doing but don't let the buggers get the better of you Matt, keep fighting and keep your chin up.  Hopefully they'll clear it out so that you won't have to go through radiotherapy or chemo.  Your a tough cookie Matt and as always I'm right behind you, not literally, no need to turn round, all though that would be spooky, especially if I was speaking the words as you read them, I'll stop now ;D
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, March 31, 2011, 10:07pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Marinerz93
as always I'm right behind you, not literally, no need to turn round, all though that would be spooky, especially if I was speaking the words as you read them, I'll stop now ;D

funnily enough i did happen to turn around, expecting you to be breathing down my neck...
;D ;D ;D
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 5, 2011, 1:34pm; Reply: 94
meeting plastic surgeons on monday...

but still no date yet...
:(
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 5, 2011, 3:02pm; Reply: 95
Matt, when you meet the [/b]real [b] surgeons they'll give you a date ;)
Posted by: Redfish, April 7, 2011, 8:21pm; Reply: 96
Didnt know this thread was on, just read it right through. Jeeeez, you have been through it. Keep up the fight Brother.
Posted by: ponnyfan, April 8, 2011, 9:38pm; Reply: 97
All my very best wishes to you Matt for your continued fight against this terrible disease. I can also relate to the battle to recover from ill health but for different reasons.My thoughts and hopes are with you.UTM !
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 11, 2011, 6:54pm; Reply: 98
and they are to do the operation on April 27th, so my last game of the season will be vs Altrincham Town on Easter Monday...
Posted by: gobby, April 11, 2011, 7:12pm; Reply: 99
You will be up and running for all the pre- seasons tho Matt 8)
UTMM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 11, 2011, 7:20pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from gobby
You will be up and running for all the pre- seasons tho Matt 8)
UTMM

true  :)
Posted by: Fishfinger, April 11, 2011, 7:29pm; Reply: 101
health is priority, then GTFC! Keep going...
Posted by: Redfish, April 12, 2011, 12:04pm; Reply: 102
Glad you got the date sorted Matt, not to long to wait. Good luck with it, keep us posted on how you doing.
Posted by: upthestripes, April 12, 2011, 2:07pm; Reply: 103
Let's hope you're not told to avoid stress Matt or you'll have to give up town full stop!
Best of luck for the op mate. My mate had a lump in his leg which they cut out and it's never been back since (that was about 15 years ago)
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, April 12, 2011, 5:08pm; Reply: 104
and they are to do the operation on April 27th, so my last game of the season will be vs Altrincham Town on Easter Monday...

Need a good send off then Matt.

Anyone got any numbers for big black female(preferably) strippers?  ;)

Hope the Op goes well matt .

UTM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 14, 2011, 1:02pm; Reply: 105
i've got my mansfield ticket...
i'm booked on the battlebus...

and then what happens?

the MRI people happen to book me a scan for 3pm on the same afternoon...
(wallbash)(wallbash)(wallbash)

still atleast i'm being admitted to the burns unit on the 26th
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 14, 2011, 2:24pm; Reply: 106
Keep it up Matt , you will get through this,

AND

Town will get better too,

Well they can not get any worse can they ? ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 14, 2011, 3:14pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from grimsby pete
Town will get better too,

Well they can not get any worse can they ? ;D

We've been saying that for the past 4 or 5 seasons though Pete.  ;D

All the best Matt, good luck mate.

Posted by: PrestwichMariner, April 14, 2011, 4:37pm; Reply: 108
Good Luck mate hope it all works out OK for you!
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 14, 2011, 8:54pm; Reply: 109
All the best Matt
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 16, 2011, 5:59pm; Reply: 110
they pushed the op back to May 4th.
(wallbash)(wallbash)(wallbash)

so i can atleast get down to london for the wimbledon game now...
:)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, April 21, 2011, 5:53pm; Reply: 111
well what can i say?

first they pushed the op date back from April 27th to May 4th, and now it's been pushed back to May 11th...

definite date this time aswell, thank fook...
Posted by: Brazilnut, April 27, 2011, 9:28pm; Reply: 112
CHIN UP MATE..........STAY POSITVE
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, May 6, 2011, 8:43am; Reply: 113
ok...

CT/PET Scan today at 3
Pre-Op on tuesday
Op on the wednesday

weekend at home...

YES PLEASE!!!
Posted by: gobby, May 6, 2011, 8:56am; Reply: 114
ok...

CT/PET Scan today at 3
Pre-Op on tuesday
Op on the wednesday

weekend at home...

YES PLEASE!!!

Hey Matt its really nice of them to let you take your pet with you for a scan, will it be a CAT SCAN? LMAO, On a serious note good luck mate see you at BP soon. 8)
UTMM

Posted by: MarinerMatt24, May 6, 2011, 9:44pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from gobby

Hey Matt its really nice of them to let you take your pet with you for a scan, will it be a CAT SCAN? LMAO, On a serious note good luck mate see you at BP soon. 8)
UTMM

something tells me i should keep putting the full name of  what said scan is...
:P ;D
Posted by: Redfish, May 8, 2011, 6:57pm; Reply: 116
Hey Matt, thoughts with you this week, hope all goes well.  I'm back at hospital Monday and Tuesday for CT's and check up so wont be on before you have your op. Will check in to hear how things went, keep us posted mate.
Posted by: GrimsbyOllie, May 8, 2011, 7:14pm; Reply: 117
Hope all goes well mate :)
Posted by: Mr Happy, May 9, 2011, 9:34am; Reply: 118
Good luck Matt.  Hope all goes well for you.  You will get through this.  

God bless.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, May 10, 2011, 8:08pm; Reply: 119
they cancelled it

thanks to the scan results from friday gone (06/05/11)

and it's not good news, seems some lymph nodes have started glowing around my chest and stomach areas, so i have no idea what's going to happen now...

unfortunately...
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 10, 2011, 8:15pm; Reply: 120
they cancelled it

thanks to the scan results from friday gone (06/05/11)

and it's not good news, seems some lymph nodes have started glowing around my chest and stomach areas, so i have no idea what's going to happen now...

unfortunately...

keep going bud, it will all turn out fine. Am sure.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, May 10, 2011, 8:20pm; Reply: 121

;)
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 10, 2011, 8:32pm; Reply: 122
You will be okay.
Posted by: Corkyefes, May 10, 2011, 11:04pm; Reply: 123
Positivity can beat anything....

Remember that.

All the best!
Posted by: Redfish, May 11, 2011, 11:41am; Reply: 124
Not the best news mate, but I guess the good side is with the regular checks, at least they find things early which is so important. Some more sh*tty treatment and you'll have it beat. POSITIVITY!! doesnt come naturally to GTFC  fans but you've got the best support possible from your Fishy mates.
Posted by: alvinghammariner, May 14, 2011, 3:52pm; Reply: 125
Spoken to matt over facebook and he's asked me to write this on his behalf, he had a scan and they found some hotspots which suggest that it may have spread towards his lungs, and this is why there's no op at the moment, and why they're putting off chemo/ radiotherapy until they find out what the exact situation is. He's on oral chemo for now and he will find out in the next week or so what the situation is. He's feeling low at the moment and i know the support on the fishy really helps him. Cheers, Henry.
Posted by: GrimsbyOllie, May 14, 2011, 4:03pm; Reply: 126
Stay positive mate,everything will be fine :)
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 16, 2011, 11:22pm; Reply: 127
It seems to be a tough journey for someone so young.  

Beating this will need lots of small goals, set yourself things that you want to achieve, some may be tougher than others and some will be achieved quicker than others.  By varying your goals you will change your focus and hopefully this will give you a bit of a lift as you over come each thing that you have set yourself.  It can be as mudane as painting your bedroom or time consuming as making a GTFC video.  Keep slogging away Matt, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you Matt.
Posted by: ponnyfan, May 19, 2011, 11:26pm; Reply: 128
My Mother in law is currently undergoing treatment for terminal lung cancer and has an attitude similar to Matt - the moment you let cancer win, you might as well jump in your box.Keep positive Matt and make every single day, the potential achievement of a dream! We are all behind you ! Keep the faith mate and fight the illegitimate ! You WILL pull through - Best wishes Mike  
Posted by: Tinymariner, May 20, 2011, 12:19am; Reply: 129
We are all thinking of you Matt, Hope you and your family are remaining positive during such a difficult and worrying time.

All the best mate and I look forward to seeing you during the pre season mate, Take care, Tiny. UTMM
Posted by: Redfish, May 28, 2011, 10:07am; Reply: 130
Any news Matt, how you getting on?
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, July 2, 2011, 4:29pm; Reply: 131
i've been keeping this to myself since may, only a few people like Alvingham Mariner and Wrawbz know this, and i DON'T want to repeat what i'm about to say...

because they found 3 tumours in my lungs and 2 around my stomach, it's pretty much terminal cancer now. now i could have chemo to make it easier for me, but i don't want that. so i intend to live my life for aslong as i can do now, i'm not sure how long i've got left to live and i don't plan to find out any time soon neither...

cheers for all the support in the last 6 months guys, it's been much appreciated...
;)
Posted by: upthestripes, July 2, 2011, 4:42pm; Reply: 132
Mate, I want to write something but I just don't know what to say.

Can't they do anything? Have the doctors told you there's a chance you can still beat it?
Won't the chemo give you a better chance?

Tears in my eyes mate, you're amazingly brave.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, July 2, 2011, 4:50pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from upthestripes

Can't they do anything? Have the doctors told you there's a chance you can still beat it?
Won't the chemo give you a better chance?

nope, they can't cure me, they can't get rid of it...
i don't want chemo partly for my own selfish reasons, mainly being that i don't want to be hooked up to a drip stand for an hour or so a day for 5 days on the bounce before taking 2 weeks off it, and lastly because i want to be able to go to as many home games as possible...
Posted by: Biccys, July 2, 2011, 5:14pm; Reply: 134
Mate, words cannot describe. All you can do is keep fighting and fighting.

UTM.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 2, 2011, 6:53pm; Reply: 135
Keep fighting it Matt.

I actually got to know a 23 year old girl from Nottingham through a brain tumour support group I joined after my op. 2 years ago the doctors told her she would be lucky to survive more than 6 months as she has a Grade 4 (the worst) cancerous brain tumour. She's still going strong now mate and actually had a baby a couple of months ago and says she still feels fine, so the doctors aint always right mate.
Posted by: bradzmilne, July 2, 2011, 6:56pm; Reply: 136
Matt, if theres anything any of us can do just ask, keep going mate
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 2, 2011, 7:00pm; Reply: 137
i've been keeping this to myself since may, only a few people like Alvingham Mariner and Wrawbz know this, and i DON'T want to repeat what i'm about to say...

because they found 3 tumours in my lungs and 2 around my stomach, it's pretty much terminal cancer now. now i could have chemo to make it easier for me, but i don't want that. so i intend to live my life for aslong as i can do now, i'm not sure how long i've got left to live and i don't plan to find out any time soon neither...

cheers for all the support in the last 6 months guys, it's been much appreciated... ;)

You keep ya chin up matt,you have got lots of friends who care on this site and i am one of them,hope you and your family are coping,stay positive matt

chris mackenzie
Posted by: GrimsbyOllie, July 2, 2011, 7:07pm; Reply: 138
Stay positive Matt,here if you need anything mate
Posted by: pseudonym, July 2, 2011, 8:39pm; Reply: 139
Why is it the good people always suffer ? Stay brave Matt. You are well respected by all of the battle bus.
Posted by: samg, July 2, 2011, 8:49pm; Reply: 140
INSPIRATION TO US ALL MAT - ALL THE BEST MATE
Posted by: 97 (Guest), July 2, 2011, 10:01pm; Reply: 141
Come on mate, we're going to have a stormer of a season this year. Make sure you hang on in there.
Posted by: petethemariner, July 3, 2011, 12:53am; Reply: 142

cheers for all the support in the last 6 months guys, it's been much appreciated...
;)

Matt, i've seen your posts from an early stage, never commented, but hoped for the best for you and i'm horrified the way it seems to have turned out for you, i know it is easy for us all to sit here and tell you to fight it -its not that easy unfortunately, i lost my Dad to it, but they can prolong life for so much longer thes days now and none of us know what breakthrough is round the corner, keep fighting and be there to watch the mighty Mariners return to league football and beyond.
The very,very best of luck to you mate.

Posted by: 470 (Guest), July 3, 2011, 4:39am; Reply: 143
Hi Matt, like Pete has said I have also read through the post from when you started this thread, you truely are an inspiration to us all, everyone knows how much watching the Mariners means to you, especially with the comments you have made in various threads as well as this one, keep on fighting and see the good times come back with the mighty mariners.
Posted by: Redfish, July 3, 2011, 12:13pm; Reply: 144
Hey Matt,
Guessed from your last post things were not good, but really did not want to hear this news, my thoughts are with you mate. You know my situation, not made it public on here, think only you and Wrawby know, but I'm in the same situation now. Was told I was terminal last July and had 12 months max. Had 2 ops, half my left lung and a third of the right removed last christmas, and things were looking fairly good. Still terminal, still gonna come back, but got more time. 1st June I went to Florida for 6 weeks, 18th I had to fly home as I could hardly breath. Turns out my left lung had collapsed. Scarborough hospital drained off 6ltrs of fluid but found a 4" tumour in my chest when they did an x ray. Spent a week in Jimmys in Leeds, been home this weekend but go back in Monday to begin chemo. 3 day treatment every 4 weeks for 6 months, not gonna be nice. Like you I did not want chemo, but I feel to well to be beaten just yet, still got things to do. I've been a biker all my life and have long hair and beard. My oncologist told me I will lose my hair and may look a bit strange, told him I've looked a tw*t all my life, not gonna start worrying now.
Only you know your own mind, there are some hard decisions and hard times ahead, make as much of time as possible, I'm sure you will. We will have a beer or 2 together this season, keep fighting Brother.
Posted by: mariner marc, July 3, 2011, 12:25pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Les Brechin

so the doctors aint always right mate.
agree

keep going Matt.I know it must be hard for ya dealing with all the medicines doctors and hospitals but keep fighting
Posted by: Fishfinger, July 3, 2011, 9:03pm; Reply: 146
keep fighting it Matt.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 3, 2011, 9:34pm; Reply: 147
Your a inspiration to us all at the football club . Hope you get through it bud . If there is anything  you need just inbox me .
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 3, 2011, 10:06pm; Reply: 148
Just keep fighting Matt and enjoy watching town win as many games as poss, Pete
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 3, 2011, 11:24pm; Reply: 149
:)
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just keep fighting Matt and enjoy watching town win as many games as poss, Pete

Maybe we could raise the awareness of matts type of cancer possibly what les did  :)
Posted by: gobby, July 4, 2011, 8:13am; Reply: 150
Words escape me at the moment Matt but will see you at the friendly V Doncaster and will have a chat. Stay strong mate 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Corkyefes, July 4, 2011, 11:06am; Reply: 151
Never give up buddy!

A true inspiration!
Posted by: petethemariner, July 4, 2011, 12:01pm; Reply: 152
Awful news for Redfish and Matt that really keeps everything in perspective, all our  own petty complaints are tiny in comparison   and even Football pales into insignificance when you read such things.
All we can do is wish you both the very, very best and   hope you can somehow  continue to find the Inner strength to battle this awful disease - i'm sure everyone on the Fishy  are with you both in these difficult days.
Strive to be there to celebrate GTFC's return to the league and climb up the divisions.
Posted by: theicenian, July 4, 2011, 12:05pm; Reply: 153
I never know what to say on these sort of occassions.  You may rest assured we are all rooting for you and that we wish you the strength to keep up the fight.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 4, 2011, 12:07pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Redfish
Hey Matt,
Guessed from your last post things were not good, but really did not want to hear this news, my thoughts are with you mate. You know my situation, not made it public on here, think only you and Wrawby know, but I'm in the same situation now. Was told I was terminal last July and had 12 months max. Had 2 ops, half my left lung and a third of the right removed last christmas, and things were looking fairly good. Still terminal, still gonna come back, but got more time. 1st June I went to Florida for 6 weeks, 18th I had to fly home as I could hardly breath. Turns out my left lung had collapsed. Scarborough hospital drained off 6ltrs of fluid but found a 4" tumour in my chest when they did an x ray. Spent a week in Jimmys in Leeds, been home this weekend but go back in Monday to begin chemo. 3 day treatment every 4 weeks for 6 months, not gonna be nice. Like you I did not want chemo, but I feel to well to be beaten just yet, still got things to do. I've been a biker all my life and have long hair and beard. My oncologist told me I will lose my hair and may look a bit strange, told him I've looked a tw*t all my life, not gonna start worrying now.
Only you know your own mind, there are some hard decisions and hard times ahead, make as much of time as possible, I'm sure you will. We will have a beer or 2 together this season, keep fighting Brother.

All the best to you as well redfish,you are an inspiration mate, great post.

chris
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 4, 2011, 12:49pm; Reply: 155
Words are awfully meaningless when put into context of these two guy's situations. Along with everybody else I wish you both the very best in your endeavours to lead as wholesome a life as is humanly possible in your time remaining. I hope the Mariners can draw some kind of inspiration from you as well, and provide you with something that can hopefully light up part of your life.
Posted by: SuperBobbyC, July 4, 2011, 7:31pm; Reply: 156
Matt and Redfish - brave as fook.  Hope you guys ahieve all you're wanting to and much more beyond.
Posted by: ponnyfan, July 5, 2011, 7:03pm; Reply: 157
This is tragic news - Make the most of your time guys.My Mother-in-law is currently going through this terrible trauma and is making the very best of her remaining time.Above all she makes the most of every day!I don't know Redfish, but all the best to you mate. I do know Matt, who is a passionate Mariner - look forward to seeing you at a game soon Matt - I know the Mariners are a huge part of your life.Remain positive in the face of adversity guys, giving up will not be an option for you both, because you both appear to be very positive people.
Words can simply not describe the way I feel, reading this tragic news! Warmest wishes to you both.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 5, 2011, 7:06pm; Reply: 158
Can only reiterate what everybody else has said; so sorry to hear your sad news guys but make sure you get everything out of your life that you can. I know you'll both fight long and hard and be at Blundell Park to see Town back in the league where they belong.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 5, 2011, 7:30pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from ponnyfan
This is tragic news - Make the most of your time guys.My Mother-in-law is currently going through this terrible trauma and is making the very best of her remaining time.Above all she makes the most of every day!I don't know Redfish, but all the best to you mate. I do know Matt, who is a passionate Mariner - look forward to seeing you at a game soon Matt - I know the Mariners are a huge part of your life.Remain positive in the face of adversity guys, giving up will not be an option for you both, because you both appear to be very positive people.
Words can simply not describe the way I feel, reading this tragic news! Warmest wishes to you both.

Great words ponnyfan,its fans like you who make me proud to be a mariner.
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 5, 2011, 9:57pm; Reply: 160
Matt, When you told me in the club shop in June I felt absolutely deflated. You are such an inspirational and brave person. I know you will stay strong and your Mam said to me that you always live life to the full and nothing is going to stop that. All the best mate, Keep fighting and I'll see you at the games. Regards, Tiny.
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 6, 2011, 9:21am; Reply: 161
Quoted from jock dock tower
Words are awfully meaningless when put into context of these two guy's situations. Along with everybody else I wish you both the very best in your endeavours to lead as wholesome a life as is humanly possible in your time remaining. I hope the Mariners can draw some kind of inspiration from you as well, and provide you with something that can hopefully light up part of your life.

I've been trying to find the right words since Matt made his last post and the post above best sums up what I have been looking to say.

Stay strong fella's you've always got a shoulder to lean on with your fellow Mariners.

Dave.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, July 6, 2011, 2:24pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from ponnyfan
I do know Matt, who is a passionate Mariner - look forward to seeing you at a game soon Matt - I know the Mariners are a huge part of your life.

damn straight!!!
;)
Posted by: ticker_1610, July 29, 2011, 11:02pm; Reply: 163
Matty didn't make tonights game, his father explained Matty is very very poorly and doesn't think he will be making another game! Absolutely gutting to see his dad so cut up trying to be brave for his lad.
Posted by: ponnyfan, July 29, 2011, 11:06pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from ticker_1610
Matty didn't make tonights game, his father explained Matty is very very poorly and doesn't think he will be making another game! Absolutely gutting to see his dad so cut up trying to be brave for his lad.
Absolutely soul destroying news Ticker - this is truly tragic news.Is he in hospital ?

Posted by: samg, July 29, 2011, 11:09pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from ticker_1610

Don't know Matt or his dad personally but please pass my best wishes onto them as a town fan
Posted by: ticker_1610, July 29, 2011, 11:13pm; Reply: 166
His dad said Matty was at home, very ill.
Posted by: tonyfordsmicrofro, July 29, 2011, 11:26pm; Reply: 167
COME ON MATT, YOU ARE GONNA GET THROUGH THIS!!!!! WE KNOW YOU ARE. WE'RE GONNA HAMMER FLEETWOOD ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON. STUFF LUTON HOME & AWAY, NOT GIVE AWAY DAFT POINTS TO PUB TEAMS LIKE THE HAYES & flipping YEADING'S OF LAST SEASON AND HAVE A GREAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR WITH THE BEST PRESENT OF TAKING SIX POINTS FROM THE GIMPS.

WE ARE ALL BEHIND YOU MATT AND WE ARE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU NEXT SEASON!!!!
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 29, 2011, 11:32pm; Reply: 168
Don't give up Matt, keep going lad, fight this all the way.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 30, 2011, 1:12pm; Reply: 169
I can only echo the sentiments left by other gtfc fans on here,i hope matt pulls through,it amazes me the support people on this forum give,look at grimsby pete and theicenian the support from us fans is truly amazing,it makes me proud to be a mariner.

all the very best matt from the mackenzie household.

chris
Posted by: deckard_9732, July 30, 2011, 2:13pm; Reply: 170
I'm a bit late finding this thread. But find it I have. I've just sat and read through every post and every page. I'm running a Jane Tomlinson 10k in York tomorrow. The first 10k is for you Matt. All the best fella.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 30, 2011, 2:32pm; Reply: 171
Really gutted to hear about Matty. I was only talking to him a couple of weeks ago.

If you're reading this Matty, keep fighting fella, don't you dare give up on us yet.
Posted by: ponnyfan, July 30, 2011, 9:28pm; Reply: 172
Does anyone have contact details for Matt - If you do please PM me - I have something I would like to get to him - thanks everyone !
Posted by: mariner91, July 31, 2011, 12:02am; Reply: 173
Best of luck Matt, keep fighting.
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 31, 2011, 8:21pm; Reply: 174
Just to add my few words of wisdom for you Matt...just keep going...think of it in terms of getting to the next match...the first win...the first time top of the league (it will happen) Go for it lad!
Posted by: captaincodfish19, July 31, 2011, 9:06pm; Reply: 175
hope u get better soon matty m8 and hope to see u on the 13th august takin 3 points off fleetwood , be strong mate , UTFM!! :)
Posted by: deckard_9732, July 31, 2011, 9:11pm; Reply: 176
And boy was that 10k today hot. The first k was for you Matt.  :)
Posted by: Redfish, July 31, 2011, 9:33pm; Reply: 177
Dont know if you well enough to get on line Matt, but gutted to hear you not doing so well, my thoughts are with you brother.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 31, 2011, 9:45pm; Reply: 178
I've only just caught up on this thread and am just about lost for words....such a sad sad story but the one thing that comes through loud and clear is the bravery in the face of such adversity

I don't know you Matt and maybe I never will but your approach to your illness is an inspiration to everyone who feels down in the dumps whenever something goes against them. Jeez, you've had the mother of all fights going on all this time and still kept your hopes high....

Things may have taken a turn for the worse recently but I hope you have one more chance, just to turn a corner to allow to see your beloved Mariners once again

If guts and determination were what it takes to get through this then you absolutely deserve another shot.

Good luck Matt - I'll keep my fingers crossed and like everyone else here in our Fishy community, I'll be willing things get better for you.

Posted by: Super Clive, August 1, 2011, 9:34am; Reply: 179
Yet another thread that makes me proud to be as GTFC FAN, you are a credit to yourself matt, you are so strong, keep fighting mate, I was wondering were you was on Friday night, I really hope you make the fleetwood game mate, you deserve to be stood in the Pontoon singing your heart out for the mighty mariners, you are so mighty yourself.

Keep fighting Matt we are all behind you in every single way possible.

Unbelievable Lad, your mum and Dad will be so proud of you mate.

All the Best

Wellsy
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, August 1, 2011, 11:30am; Reply: 180
Quoted from Super Clive
Yet another thread that makes me proud to be as GTFC FAN, you are a credit to yourself matt, you are so strong, keep fighting mate, I was wondering were you was on Friday night, I really hope you make the fleetwood game mate, you deserve to be stood in the Pontoon singing your heart out for the mighty mariners, you are so mighty yourself.

Keep fighting Matt we are all behind you in every single way possible.

Unbelievable Lad, your mum and Dad will be so proud of you mate.

All the Best

Wellsy

I can echo the comments of everyone else. Your part of the reason I got out of that chair because 'If Matt can get on without a fuss then so can I'. I'm so proud to call you my friend.

Wrawbz
Posted by: pseudonym, August 1, 2011, 8:14pm; Reply: 181
You know my thoughts Matt. Everyone connected with the travel club send their best wishes
Posted by: ponnyfan, August 4, 2011, 7:27pm; Reply: 182
Keep going Matty - great to see you the other day ! Don't let your Mum wash the shirt  ;)
Posted by: Dan_Barker, August 4, 2011, 8:39pm; Reply: 183
Although i don't know you pal, as a town fan, just keep fighting and think of rob atkinson's face when we beat fleetwood
Posted by: bradzmilne, August 5, 2011, 11:02am; Reply: 184
Keep going matt, can only echo what others have said. Your a credit to the club, and an overall inspiration. Keep fighting and see you at fleetwood!
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 6, 2011, 8:30pm; Reply: 185
ok guys, thursday night i was rushed to Louth A&E with breathing difficulties, turned out the fluid around the left lung was causing me some problems, well basically hte fluid was adding pressure to my heart and trachea/gullet/tube your food goes down. spent the night in hospital where they tried to insert a chest drain into me, couldn't get it in, so the tried again the next morning, they were thankfully successful and got it in...

didn't help that my heart and trachea were forced to the right side of my chest neither...

came off it this morning, but still got the drain in my chest, though thankfully i'm at home at the minute, i'm going back in tomorrow morning to get an ultrasound down on my chest, and may have the drain removed hopefully...
Posted by: barralad, August 6, 2011, 8:45pm; Reply: 186
ok guys, thursday night i was rushed to Louth A&E with breathing difficulties, turned out the fluid around the left lung was causing me some problems, well basically hte fluid was adding pressure to my heart and trachea/gullet/tube your food goes down. spent the night in hospital where they tried to insert a chest drain into me, couldn't get it in, so the tried again the next morning, they were thankfully successful and got it in...

didn't help that my heart and trachea were forced to the right side of my chest neither...

came off it this morning, but still got the drain in my chest, though thankfully i'm at home at the minute, i'm going back in tomorrow morning to get an ultrasound down on my chest, and may have the drain removed hopefully...

Jesus mate! You are really going through it. At times like this one feels powerless to do anything but echo the words of many, many others on here. KEEP FIGHTING!! All true Town fans are behind you every step of the way...
Posted by: upthestripes, August 6, 2011, 8:56pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from barralad

All true Town fans are behind you every step of the way...

Damn straight! Reckon  you'll be at Fleetwood Matt?
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 6, 2011, 10:59pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from barralad

Jesus mate! You are really going through it. At times like this one feels powerless to do anything but echo the words of many, many others on here. KEEP FIGHTING!! All true Town fans are behind you every step of the way...

Barra, you've put into words exactly how I feel, it's often very difficult to put across what you want to say when someone is up against it.  Matt you've always got your extended fishy family to fall back on, I hope the players do you and us proud this season.
Posted by: petethemariner, August 6, 2011, 11:28pm; Reply: 189
How do you put it into words? So much utter admiration for the way you are handling this , i d'ont know you Matt,
i understand you are a young chap, but it is  also  easy to understand from your posts that you will not give in - its also very easy for me to say it,  but NEVER give in, i'm with you and rooting for you every step of the way,
good luck Matt.
Posted by: NewtoN, August 7, 2011, 10:24am; Reply: 190
Quoted from barralad

Posted by: mariner marc, August 7, 2011, 12:05pm; Reply: 191
Just want to say Matt hope you still are fighting this shitty illness.Your only young which makes it even harder to deal with.I have known mates who have also dealt with other serious illnesses as well  and know how tough it can be.Not just the physical toll but the mental as well.Really feel for you pal
Posted by: jungleland, August 7, 2011, 1:41pm; Reply: 192

all the best Matt hope it gives  you strenght to fight this knowing  everybody is behind you on this board ...  you are our hero so keep fighting ..
Posted by: pseudonym, August 7, 2011, 6:41pm; Reply: 193
I also understand that Pete Walker that runs Cottees has similar problems. I know many of you don't like his attitude but he is still and has been for a long time a big GTFC fan. All the best Pete
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 7, 2011, 6:55pm; Reply: 194

spent 90 minutes talking to Michael Leary earlier today, even gave me his tracksuit top which was signed aswell...
;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 7, 2011, 6:58pm; Reply: 195
Glad to see you doing well Matt.

What a great bloke Michael Leary is, he isn't even with us now but still takes time out to visit you, fantastic.  

How did that come about Matt.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 7, 2011, 7:01pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from Marinerz93

How did that come about Matt.

he lives right around the corner from, that and the fact i was talking to steven watt's missus on the phone lastnight, so she had a part to play in it...
Posted by: gobby, August 7, 2011, 7:10pm; Reply: 197
Nice to see you posting Matty, good of Michael to take the time out and spend it with you. Keep fighting Mate we are all behind you. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: 470 (Guest), August 8, 2011, 12:05am; Reply: 198
spent 90 minutes talking to Michael Leary earlier today, even gave me his tracksuit top which was signed aswell...
;)
Really good of him to visit you, read this thread regularly - keep on battling away, hopefully the Mighty Mariners will bring back the goodtimes and give you some happy smiles.  :)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 8, 2011, 5:58pm; Reply: 199

also keep your eyes on the matchday program on saturday  ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 8, 2011, 6:19pm; Reply: 200
I think it's great that the players and managers are taking time out for fans going through tough times.  You can't just flash a picture up with no details, come on Matt spill the beans  ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 8, 2011, 6:34pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Marinerz93
I think it's great that the players and managers are taking time out for fans going through tough times.  You can't just flash a picture up with no details, come on Matt spill the beans  ;)

got a signed away shirt, mug, baseball cap and pennant, but you'll have to wait till saturday till you see the matchday program, i'm keeping schtum...  ;)

still, i don't suppose anybody knows who matey in the white polo shirt is, do they?
Posted by: Super Clive, August 8, 2011, 7:32pm; Reply: 202
It's great seeing the club giving there support just like you have them home and away Matt, will you be making Saturday mate ?
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 8, 2011, 7:50pm; Reply: 203
Quoted from Super Clive
will you be making Saturday mate ?

i'll be in a wheelchair, most likely with an oxygen cylinder and i'll most likely be right on the bottom row at the loud end, i won't have the energy to get up the steps to the upper rows...
Posted by: jungleland, August 8, 2011, 7:57pm; Reply: 204

great news that you will be saturday  matt ... hope  you have a great day with the right result ..  on the downside looks like i will have to buy a programe for first time in about 20 yrs ..  all the best matt
Posted by: siy2k5, August 9, 2011, 12:01am; Reply: 205
Wow.  First time I've seen this thread, words absolutely fail me!  Didn't realise you'd had such bad news Matt, it doesnt seem 2 minutes since I was talking to you in the Imp and you were looking really well.

Just read the thread all the way through, and all I can do is echo the sentiments of the fishy family, in being proud of you in the way you've conducted yourself throughout your trauma.  All the best mate, GTFC are lucky to have you :)

If you need anything at all, PM me :)
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 9, 2011, 12:05am; Reply: 206

i'll be in a wheelchair, most likely with an oxygen cylinder and i'll most likely be right on the bottom row at the loud end, i won't have the energy to get up the steps to the upper rows...

I will have a chat with you there then mate and cannot wait to see the programme now. :)
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 9, 2011, 12:06am; Reply: 207

i don't suppose anybody knows who matey in the white polo shirt is, do they?

He is a football in the community person.  :)
Posted by: Youngy, August 9, 2011, 7:15am; Reply: 208
I too have only just starting reading this thread, I've got a very close family member going through cancer at the moment and it's inspiring to see you so postive and upbeat throughout your experience. I hope the clouds lift for you brother.

Did Rob Scott give the Doctor a hairdryer to try and get them to work harder for you? :)

The dude in the polo shirt is Mark Westerby who is the Football in Community officer for Louth
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 9, 2011, 9:17am; Reply: 209
Quoted from Youngy
Did Rob Scott give the Doctor a hairdryer to try and get them to work harder for you? :)

The dude in the polo shirt is Mark Westerby who is the Football in Community officer for Louth

Don't Know about the hairdryer treatment...  ;D

aha, me and the old man were stomped as to who it was...
Posted by: NewtoN, August 9, 2011, 9:20am; Reply: 210
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Brave-cancer-patient-meets-Mariners-managers/story-13096589-detail/story.html

Matty Dawson Grimsby's 24! nanananananana

Lucky Barsteward fella :P

Great to see the club are being so attentive!

Keep fighting mate!
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 9, 2011, 9:23am; Reply: 211
Quoted from NewtoN
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Brave-cancer-patient-meets-Mariners-managers/story-13096589-detail/story.html

Keep fighting mate!

balderdash, THEY GAVE AWAY MY SECRET FOR SATURDAY...
;D ;D ;D

although to be fair, the squad number bit did leave me somewhat gobsmacked yesterday...
Posted by: siy2k5, August 9, 2011, 10:29am; Reply: 212
Bloody hell matt, if you're not careful you'll get a game! ;D
Posted by: gobby, August 9, 2011, 10:31am; Reply: 213
Fantastic! What a honour for you Matt, and a superb gesture from all at GTFC. Will see you on Saturday mate, keep smiling :) 8)
UTMM
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 9, 2011, 10:49am; Reply: 214
Absolutely brilliant....well done to the Town for making a superb gesture...the squad shirt is a magnificent gesture.
Posted by: Devonmatt, August 9, 2011, 10:54am; Reply: 215
Matt, stay strong fella, going to be a big season for the Mighty Mariners.....
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 9, 2011, 11:23am; Reply: 216
Quoted from NewtoN

Keep fighting mate!

Have you got a chant thought up for Matty yet!  ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 9, 2011, 11:27am; Reply: 217
On the OS now too Matty.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10417~2414279,00.html
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 9, 2011, 11:37am; Reply: 218

balderdash, THEY GAVE AWAY MY SECRET FOR SATURDAY...
;D ;D ;D

although to be fair, the squad number bit did leave me somewhat gobsmacked yesterday...

So will they read out your name and number in the squad for this season then matty if so cant wait to see your face. :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 9, 2011, 11:43am; Reply: 219
I really feel for you Matt, lets hope Town do you proud on saturday,

I am sure the players will win for you and the ponny will be singing your name,

All the best you are an inspiration.
Posted by: upthestripes, August 9, 2011, 12:42pm; Reply: 220
Make sure you're ready Matt in case they bring you on!
No pressure but a debue hat trick would be nice!  ;D

Seriously, that's awesome!
Posted by: NewtoN, August 9, 2011, 12:58pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from Les Brechin

Have you got a chant thought up for Matty yet!  ;D

i'll have a think :P
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 9, 2011, 3:02pm; Reply: 222
Wasn't there another famous Matt who once played for the Town?
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 9, 2011, 3:11pm; Reply: 223
Quoted from siy2k5
Bloody hell matt, if you're not careful you'll get a game! ;D

i wish, be brilliant if i could run about a kick a football again, sadly my lungs and legs just won't let me do so anymore...
:'(
Posted by: GG, August 9, 2011, 3:12pm; Reply: 224
Just had to post a comment on the Telewag.
Posted by: siy2k5, August 9, 2011, 3:27pm; Reply: 225

i wish, be brilliant if i could run about a kick a football again, sadly my lungs and legs just won't let me do so anymore...

You'd still be more effective than last seasons midfield ;)

Seriously though, hope you can make it on Saturday, and the mariners to you proud :)
Posted by: GG, August 9, 2011, 3:30pm; Reply: 226

That's actually made me feel a bit bad, my legs and lungs won't allow me to play football at the moment but that's nothing medical, it's me being a lazy twit sitting at my PC writing scripts all day.

Stay strong mate, thinking about you.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 9, 2011, 4:31pm; Reply: 227
well what i mean is that one of my lungs has pretty much had it, so using oxygen to help me breath is doing me favours, and the fact that my legs are really weakened now, it's really impossible for me to run about now...

that's the really bitter part of having cancer, you go from feeling fit and athletic to downright exhausted...
Posted by: Dan_Barker, August 9, 2011, 7:09pm; Reply: 228
well done to Town for their nice gesture and well done to you mate for showing more fight than our midfield last year, keep it up pal UTM
Posted by: pseudonym, August 9, 2011, 7:20pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from jock dock tower
Wasn't there another famous Matt who once played for the Town?
Matt Harrold, Matt Bloomer, Matt Heywood ? ;)

Posted by: Les Brechin, August 9, 2011, 7:39pm; Reply: 230
Quoted from pseudonym

And a Matt Finish in the changing rooms.  ;D

I'll get my coat.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 9, 2011, 10:58pm; Reply: 231
Matt as you are now a squad player, don't forget your fishy friends when you get your complimentary tickets  ;)
Posted by: upthestripes, August 10, 2011, 12:14am; Reply: 232
Quoted from pseudonym

You big tease ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 10, 2011, 12:03pm; Reply: 233
Quoted from Marinerz93
Matt as you are now a squad player, don't forget your fishy friends when you get your complimentary tickets  ;)

that'll be Super Clive, Wrawbz and Alvingham Mariner then...  :P
Posted by: upthestripes, August 10, 2011, 12:07pm; Reply: 234

Are you getting them, seriously?
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 10, 2011, 12:38pm; Reply: 235
Quoted from pseudonym

...or the African triallist a few years back, Matt Abele Land ;)
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 10, 2011, 2:55pm; Reply: 236
Quoted from upthestripes

i'm joking with Marinerz93
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 10, 2011, 3:10pm; Reply: 237
I've never had the privilege to have met you Matt, but if they do get to announce your name as a squad member on Saturday, I will be joining in with the rousing appreciation from the stands

We always go on about players not caring about the club so I don't think anyone can disagree with you being given a squad number given your dedication to our club and your pride in the black and white stripes. You deserve this and the club recognise it....you certainly are fit to wear the shirt :)

Good luck in your ongoing fight "Dawson 24"...we're right behind you
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 10, 2011, 9:57pm; Reply: 238

You can go off people you know Matt  ;D

Hope you have a great day on Saturday, I'll certainly give you a cheer if I hear your name.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 10, 2011, 9:57pm; Reply: 239
Quoted from upthestripes

;D would be another great gesture if he did.
Posted by: sutton mariner, August 11, 2011, 1:30am; Reply: 240
Matty, somehow I've only just come to find this thread!
I've read it from the start. I'm just gob smacked. I really don't know what to say. I know this is what everyone says and it's just one mere comment nestled between hundreds of others but I'd just like to say what a true honour it is to know you. Just speaking to you on Facebook, reading your posts on here, and hearing about your awful experience with this horrible disease, really inspires people. Your bravery , commitment to the club and willingness to fight and fight is just draw dropping. A few posts have brought More than a tear to my eye. I really am speechless.
Matt , your an amazing and inspiring person, I'm so chuffed about your squad number!!!
I think I've only me you once at the Wimbledon game when you took a picture with my Harry Haddock but I hope and I'm sure I'll have the honour of meeting you again one day.
Keep strong Matty
God bless you
UTMM
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 11, 2011, 3:35pm; Reply: 241
thought i'd post a few pics from the training ground for you guys  :)

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 11, 2011, 7:07pm; Reply: 242
Did S + H  tell what the team will be for saturday Matt ?
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 11, 2011, 7:30pm; Reply: 243
Quoted from grimsby pete
Did S + H  tell what the team will be for saturday Matt ?

sorry Pete, don't want to JINX the team with that info, but yes i did find out the starting 11...
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 11, 2011, 8:40pm; Reply: 244

sorry Pete, don't want to JINX the team with that info, but yes i did find out the starting 11...

You've changed since you got squad number Matty  ;D
Posted by: mariner marc, August 11, 2011, 9:50pm; Reply: 245
thought i'd post a few pics from the training ground for you guys  :)

quality pics Matt     hope your feeling ok mate

Posted by: Biccys, August 11, 2011, 9:54pm; Reply: 246
OMG!

Elding's wearing flip flops & socks...
Posted by: deckard_9732, August 13, 2011, 12:02am; Reply: 247
Brilliant pictures Matt. Superb.  :)
Posted by: Redfish, August 13, 2011, 10:16am; Reply: 248
Hey Matt. Only just had a chance to catch up. I know exactly what the collapsed lung feels like, and the drains, I,ve still only got 2/3 of one lung working now. And as for the weak legs, I've had 2 of 6 chemos and its hard to explain how weak it makes you feel. I would really have liked to get there today to share in your day, I hope somebody gets some youtube clips, congratulations on the squad number, I hope you get to play LOL
Stay strong brother and have a fantastic day.
We maynot be flying high but this whole thread proves we have the greatest club and supporters anywhere  
Posted by: bladerunnner, August 13, 2011, 10:50am; Reply: 249
i don't know you matt,but if i were the managers i would put a picture of you on the dressing room door,so everytime they walk out to play, they would look at it and be inspired.   the human spirit never fails to amaze me,on one hand wev'e got hundreds of scumbags running around causing grief,and then someone like you comes along to make us all realise what bravery,humour,and the bulldog british spirit is all about,good on yer young man you make me proud to be a town fan ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 13, 2011, 12:12pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from Redfish
Hey Matt. Only just had a chance to catch up. I know exactly what the collapsed lung feels like, and the drains, I,ve still only got 2/3 of one lung working now. And as for the weak legs, I've had 2 of 6 chemos and its hard to explain how weak it makes you feel. I would really have liked to get there today to share in your day, I hope somebody gets some youtube clips, congratulations on the squad number, I hope you get to play LOL
Stay strong brother and have a fantastic day.
We maynot be flying high but this whole thread proves we have the greatest club and supporters anywhere  

All the best to you too Redfish,

I hope you can fight this  dreadfull  cancer,  keep your spirits up mate,
Posted by: ponnyfan, August 13, 2011, 6:09pm; Reply: 251
Good to  see you at the game Matty ! Get some rest - you looked tired towards the end ! Keep fighting UTM
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, August 13, 2011, 6:29pm; Reply: 252
Fantastic to see you mate.
Posted by: GG, August 13, 2011, 6:53pm; Reply: 253
Saw the message on the scoreboard for you today Matty, gave you a big cheer although I got some funny looks from people sat around me. they probably didn't see it.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 13, 2011, 7:29pm; Reply: 254
Good to see you today Matty. Shame Town couldn't give you the result you wanted. Hope to see you again soon mate when I'm back out of hosptial.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 13, 2011, 9:09pm; Reply: 255
Quoted from ponnyfan
Good to  see you at the game Matty ! Get some rest - you looked tired towards the end ! Keep fighting UTM

well i did have a good long snooze when i got back in...
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, August 13, 2011, 9:10pm; Reply: 256
Quoted from GG
Saw the message on the scoreboard for you today Matty, gave you a big cheer although I got some funny looks from people sat around me. they probably didn't see it.

what message on the scoreboard?
Posted by: gobby, August 13, 2011, 9:12pm; Reply: 257
Really good to have a brief chat today Matt, keep plugging away mate,
Redfish, have read your responses on this thread mate and my thoughts are with you as well, you are both inspirational. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: GG, August 13, 2011, 9:46pm; Reply: 258

what message on the scoreboard?

Something along the lines of:

"Big welcome to Matty Dawson who has been handed number 24 shirt"
Posted by: bradzmilne, August 13, 2011, 11:33pm; Reply: 259
Good to see you in the pontoon today matt, shame the team wasnt up to much  :B  Keep going mate!

Also redfish, keep battling away and like matt you have mine and the whole of thefishy on your side
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 14, 2011, 7:17pm; Reply: 260
Just got back from scotland,have not been on the fishy for over a week,great to see matt is up beat and doing well,this is the 1st thread i looked for,keep going matt, the photos are brilliant by the way.

chris mackenzie
Posted by: kamakazebear, August 17, 2011, 8:39am; Reply: 261
Matty Dawson
The family of Matt Dawson, are sad to announce, that after a brave battle against cancer, for the last three and half years passed away at 12-20 am this morning with his family at his bedside.
A few seconds ago

Taken from Facebook.

RIP
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 17, 2011, 8:46am; Reply: 262
RIP Matt and condolences to all family and friends.

Gives last night some much needed perspective.
Posted by: Fishfinger, August 17, 2011, 8:53am; Reply: 263
Incredibly sad news. I had the privilage to meet him last season at AFC Wimbledon on the last day of the season and he seemed very nice and friendly. RIP Matty, you'll be missed.
Posted by: gobby, August 17, 2011, 8:56am; Reply: 264
RIP Matty, Black and White through and through, so sad so young :o
Posted by: Biccys, August 17, 2011, 8:56am; Reply: 265
Who gives a damn about football when this kind of thing happens.

RIP Matty, it was a pleasure to have met you young man.
Posted by: Super Clive, August 17, 2011, 9:07am; Reply: 266
cannot believe matty has passed away unbelievable, matt you was an inspiration, and a top lad, words don't describe how upset i am right now, this is a massive loss, to his family and club alike, I feel for mattys mum and dad who I have met a few times absolutely devastating also thoughts go to his siblings, I can't believe it

Love you man

UTM RIP special one   :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

WELLSY

very sad times indeed
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 17, 2011, 9:12am; Reply: 267
RIP Matty, tears in my eyes here. Was only talking to him  in The Imp on Saturday. Thoughts with Mattys family at this sad time.
Posted by: bradzmilne, August 17, 2011, 9:12am; Reply: 268
Why do the best peopld go through the worst pain? Its just not fair. Met matt a few times and he was such a great and up beat lad. Rip matt, you will be missed so much xx
brad milne
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 17, 2011, 9:29am; Reply: 269
Sat at my computer with tears in my eyes here,very sad news indeed, feel very sad,i had a recent death in my family too so know how this feels,his family must be distraught,till we meet again marinermatt  :'(

Condolences to matts family.

Chris Mackenzie
Posted by: sutton mariner, August 17, 2011, 10:30am; Reply: 270
RIP matty   Top lad :(
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 17, 2011, 10:36am; Reply: 271
So sad to hear this news,

IF

There is another place we pass over to,

I am sure Icey will have his arms around you now,

RIP  Matt you were a brave brave lad.
Posted by: Perkins, August 17, 2011, 11:13am; Reply: 272
What a sad, sad, day.Everything else pales into insignificance today. A truly brave lad and an inspiration to us all.
Goodnight Matty. R.I.P.
Posted by: mariner91, August 17, 2011, 11:56am; Reply: 273
If I were the managers I would seriously use Matt to inspire the players. Such a young lad but incredibly brave and kept going right to the end. If only our players had the same mentality as he did. RIP.
Posted by: semilapsedmariner, August 17, 2011, 1:05pm; Reply: 274
RIP Matt and my condolencies to his family and friends.
Makes you think how vunerable we all are.
Posted by: CairnsMariner, August 17, 2011, 2:27pm; Reply: 275
How very sad. Matt's comments (and the comments of a number of other posters) throughout this thread are a reminder of how difficult some people's lives are and how fortunate those of us in good health are. Also makes a game of football seem rather irrelevent ('though Matt himself would probably disagree).

Condolensces to all who knew and loved Matt.
Posted by: Townfantom, August 17, 2011, 9:45pm; Reply: 276
Such sad news, Don't know what to say. RIP Matty, Condolences to the family.
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, August 17, 2011, 9:50pm; Reply: 277
I didn't know you Matt, but my word you were certainly one positive brave young man. What sad news this is.

I hope you RIP young Mariner.
Posted by: siy2k5, August 17, 2011, 9:59pm; Reply: 278
Look after him Icey  :o
Posted by: we will return, August 19, 2011, 1:13am; Reply: 279
Terrible loss, gutted to never meet you. RIP Matty
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 22, 2011, 9:15pm; Reply: 280
RIP matt :(
Posted by: davmariner, August 23, 2011, 12:24am; Reply: 281
RIP Matty.
Posted by: Mariner_501, August 27, 2011, 4:35pm; Reply: 282
Reading back through it's amazing how he managed to stay so positive. I know I couldn't have managed it. RIP Matt x
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:56pm