Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 2, 2010, 9:20pm
Ok, we've had a worst Town players that has thrown up all the usual suspect but most only played a handful of games, so who would you say is the worst player Town have ever had who played over 100 games for us. If you click the link ut will give you a list of Town players and appearances and although it's not a list of EVERY Town player, I'm sure it includes every player to have played over 100 games.

For me it's either Tom Newey or Bob Mitchell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grimsby_Town_F.C._players
Posted by: grimps, December 2, 2010, 9:24pm; Reply: 1
Adam Buckley
thread finished  ;)
Posted by: 01472, December 2, 2010, 9:26pm; Reply: 2
was never a fan of either
craig shakespere
or
jim dobbin
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 2, 2010, 9:30pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from grimps
Adam Buckley
thread finished  ;)

Adam Buckley can't have played more than 20 games surely.
Posted by: mumbo, December 2, 2010, 9:31pm; Reply: 4
Michael Reddy. Never rated him, always ran away from goal into the corner rather than go for goal, and was too injury prone
Posted by: thornemariner, December 2, 2010, 9:34pm; Reply: 5
Newey.
Posted by: theicenian, December 2, 2010, 9:37pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Adam Buckley can't have played more than 20 games surely.

10 and 8 sub appearances.

Posted by: grimps, December 2, 2010, 9:37pm; Reply: 7
oops i didnt read the title les
still buckley was easily the worst ever  ;)
Posted by: Mariner88, December 2, 2010, 9:38pm; Reply: 8
Anybody who's played more than 100 games for a club is generally not that bad a player.

Speaking of which Tom Newey played in two finals for the club and we only got relegated after he left. Scapegoat.
Posted by: siy2k5, December 2, 2010, 9:43pm; Reply: 9
Danny Boshell.  Thread closed! ;D
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 2, 2010, 9:43pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mumbo
Michael Reddy. Never rated him, always ran away from goal into the corner rather than go for goal, and was too injury prone

Did you go to any games in the 2005-2006 season?
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, December 2, 2010, 9:47pm; Reply: 11
Stacy Coldicott
Posted by: Green27, December 2, 2010, 9:52pm; Reply: 12
Reddy only played 94 apparently. Got to be Newey an absolute nincompoop
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, December 2, 2010, 10:06pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Green27
Reddy only played 94 apparently. Got to be Newey an absolute nincompoop

Did you go to any games in the 2005-2006 season?
Posted by: Poojah, December 2, 2010, 10:09pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mumbo

Can't work out if you're being entirely serious or not, but Reddy has to be one of the best players to have played for the club since we were relegated from the Championship. The only others who come close for me would be Gary and Rob Jones, Martin Paterson and Jamie Devitt. Even Alan Connell has a long way to go before he can be considered in the same league, for me. If you need your memory refreshing, watch this:

A bit painful to watch actually; can you see our current lot scoring goals like these?
Posted by: ska face, December 2, 2010, 10:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mumbo

You're off your bloody nut man.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 2, 2010, 10:10pm; Reply: 16
Newey and Barnes were immense at the seige of Morecambe Bay in the JPT. They may have gone excrement but both had some excellent games for Town.

Same with Heywood, he looked ok in his first game for Town and has played over 200 games in the league so can't be that bad can he? I know he was guff for us but like a lot of our signings he just couldn't be arsed with it.

Tomi Ameobi for me. If he didn't have a famous brother I doubt he would have got in his school team.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 2, 2010, 10:12pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from psgmariner

Tomi Ameobi for me. If he didn't have a famous brother I doubt he would have got in his school team.

Are the words "To have played over 100 games" really that hard to understand?
Posted by: psgmariner, December 2, 2010, 10:13pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah

Can't work out if you're being entirely serious or not, but Reddy has to be one of the best players to have played for the club since we were relegated from the Championship. The only others who come close for me would be Gary and Rob Jones, Martin Paterson and Jamie Devitt. Even Alan Connell has a long way to go before he can be considered in the same league, for me. If you need your memory refreshing, watch this:

A bit painful to watch actually; can you see our current lot scoring goals like these?

Fully agree.

Great link as well - boring boring Sladeball! We have never had it so good since.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 2, 2010, 10:14pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

Are the words "To have played over 100 games" really that hard to understand?

Oops wrong thread!

Whay is there 2 on almost exactly the same thing?!
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 2, 2010, 10:18pm; Reply: 20
Almost all the names on the "Worst ever player" are mainly people who only played just a handful of games for Town and it's quite hard to judge a player on such few appearances.

I was just interested in which players who played regularly for Town over a number of years, people though were the worst.
Posted by: Poojah, December 2, 2010, 10:19pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from psgmariner

Fully agree.

Great link as well - boring boring Sladeball! We have never had it so good since.

I never really got the Sladeball thing - in the main I enjoyed Town's performances under Russell. Yeah, there were some games which were poor to watch but that's more indicative of League Two football than a particular regime. I can remember us playing some pretty attractive, not to mention effective, football at times that season.

Problem was, I believe, given our swift demise from the second tier, that people were comparing performances to those of our Div One days - which is just unfair and unrealistic. With an insight into what was to follow, I genuinely think opinion would've been different.

Ain't hindsight a wonferful thing...
Posted by: psgmariner, December 2, 2010, 10:19pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin
Almost all the names on the "Worst ever player" are mainly people who only played just a handful of games for Town and it's quite hard to judge a player on such few appearances.

I was just interested in which players who played regularly for Town over a number of years, people though were the worst.

Fair enough mate.

I will go for Antoine Curier then.

;)
Posted by: ska face, December 2, 2010, 10:22pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Poojah

I never really got the Sladeball thing - in the main I enjoyed Town's performances under Russell. Yeah, there were some games which were poor to watch but that's more indicative of League Two football than a particular regime. I can remember us playing some pretty attractive, not to mention effective, football at times that season.

Problem was, I believe, given our swift demise from the second tier, is that people were comparing performances to those of our Div One days - which is just unfair and unrealistic. With an insight into what was to follow, I genuinely think opinion would've been different.

Ain't hindsight a wonferful thing...

I think too many people had written him off after his first season and saw his tactics, ones that were efficient and did lead to enjoyable, attacking football, as an easy stick to beat him with, rather than admit they might have been wrong.

Town fans eh?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, December 2, 2010, 10:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from psgmariner

Oops wrong thread!

Whay is there 2 on almost exactly the same thing?!

To be fair, the game Ameobi played against Barnet felt like it lasted for 5 seasons. Ameobi's "performance" was nothing short of paedophilic, revolting, humiliating, racist, tragic, comedic and heart breaking. Not all of those things make sense. That's how bad he was.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, December 2, 2010, 10:24pm; Reply: 25
Never in a million years is Tom Newey the worst GTFC player.
Posted by: 01472, December 2, 2010, 10:25pm; Reply: 26
the people who say newey is crap are the same people who use to give danny butterfield grief
Posted by: psgmariner, December 2, 2010, 10:27pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

To be fair, the game Ameobi played against Barnet felt like it lasted for 5 seasons. Ameobi's "performance" was nothing short of paedophilic, revolting, humiliating, racist, tragic, comedic and heart breaking. Not all of those things make sense. That's how bad he was.

;D

He really is a revolting, racist peado you're right.
Posted by: Poojah, December 2, 2010, 10:34pm; Reply: 28
On the Tom Newey side of things, it amazes me that people slate him so badly without a word about his predecessor. Ronnie Bull, come on down...

Now there was a shít footballer - his performance against Bury away on Good Friday a few years back was both one of the funniest and saddest things I've ever seen happen on a football pitch. Honestly, if you'd have slapped a Town shirt onto a downs syndrome monkey and stuck him into the starting line-up instead, you'd have seen a creature running around with more method and intellect that day.

Woeful ain't the word.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 2, 2010, 10:38pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from siy2k5
Danny Boshell.  Thread closed! ;D

WHS
Posted by: Mariner88, December 2, 2010, 10:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Poojah
On the Tom Newey side of things, it amazes me that people slate him so badly without a word about his predecessor. Ronnie Bull, come on down...

Now there was a shít footballer - his performance against Bury away on Good Friday a few years back was both one of the funniest and saddest things I've ever seen happen on a football pitch. Honestly, if you'd have slapped a Town shirt onto a downs syndrome monkey and stuck him into the starting line-up instead, you'd have seen a creature running around with more method and intellect that day.

Woeful ain't the word.

Or his successor
Posted by: Poojah, December 2, 2010, 10:41pm; Reply: 31
Danny Boshell. 99 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boshell

Unlucky.  ;)
Posted by: jungleland, December 2, 2010, 10:50pm; Reply: 32

phil  bonnyman
Posted by: ginnywings, December 2, 2010, 10:53pm; Reply: 33
Bobby Mitchell.

The Danny Boshell of a previous era.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 2, 2010, 11:18pm; Reply: 34
tom newey or danny boshell
Posted by: BIGChris, December 3, 2010, 12:20am; Reply: 35
Find it interesting that so many players who played in the holding midfield role are nominated. Mitchell, Coldicott ect?

Are they really poor players or just not appreciated???
Posted by: biggles9999, December 3, 2010, 12:29am; Reply: 36
Under-rated I would go for Chris.

People slated Hunt enough when he played for us, then pined for him when he left after our near miss season. I remember Coldicott getting plenty of stick for 'never going forward' or 'he only passes it 5 yards'. I would love to see somebody in our team who could break up play and pass it consistently over 5-10 yards.
Posted by: theicenian, December 3, 2010, 12:34am; Reply: 37
Quoted from BIGChris
Find it interesting that so many players who played in the holding midfield role are nominated. Mitchell, Coldicott ect?

Are they really poor players or just not appreciated???

I somehow knew you would come up with that.   I think Stacey was never the same after his busted leg (understandable) and tended to do what players do in the circumstances,run at the side of play.

Posted by: supertown, December 3, 2010, 12:37am; Reply: 38
Quoted from mumbo

are you for real, i dont believe what i am reading
Posted by: theicenian, December 3, 2010, 12:37am; Reply: 39
Quoted from 01472
the people who say newey is crap are the same people who use to give danny butterfield grief

Nope,never gave Danny grief but did give Newey a load latterly when he was almost sure to give away at least one goal.

Posted by: theicenian, December 3, 2010, 12:40am; Reply: 40
And Michael Reddy was never a clever footballer just had a bit of pace. Easy to stop,just stand infront of him, if you were quick enough. ;)
Posted by: supertown, December 3, 2010, 12:40am; Reply: 41
bobby mitchell for me, im still trying to come to terms with the michael reddy nomination!. TOTW
Posted by: BIGChris, December 3, 2010, 12:51am; Reply: 42
Quoted from theicenian

I somehow knew you would come up with that.   I think Stacey was never the same after his busted leg (understandable) and tended to do what players do in the circumstances,run at the side of play.

I just think that generally the holding midfield role is unglamourous and not often appreciated. The 'water carrier' if you like. This is not just at Town but football in general. Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down in the Champions League final was as much down to Hamman as anything.

Not all teams play a holding player but personally i would always play that way and think it is vital if you have a couple of attacking wide players. Gives you an insurance and licence to attack down the flanks
Posted by: Denby, December 3, 2010, 8:10am; Reply: 43
dave moore :)
Posted by: barralad, December 3, 2010, 8:32am; Reply: 44
Quoted from biggles9999
Under-rated I would go for Chris.

People slated Hunt enough when he played for us, then pined for him when he left after our near miss season. I remember Coldicott getting plenty of stick for 'never going forward' or 'he only passes it 5 yards'. I would love to see somebody in our team who could break up play and pass it consistently over 5-10 yards.

There is still time to join the (now) retro James Hunt fan club. Meetings before every home game in the bus shelter outside the Imp. One of the most underrated players for Town in the last 10 years.
Posted by: barralad, December 3, 2010, 8:40am; Reply: 45
100 games is too many. Bring it down to 85 and include Andy Parkinson the archetypal headless chicken.
Posted by: siy2k5, December 3, 2010, 9:03am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Poojah
Danny Boshell. 99 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boshell

Unlucky.  ;)

Wiki only counts league games. The OP didn't specify league games only. Therefore my point still stands. So ner :p ;)
Posted by: theicenian, December 3, 2010, 9:13am; Reply: 47
Quoted from barralad
100 games is too many. Bring it down to 85 and include Andy Parkinson the archetypal headless chicken.

Ooooh,Marinette will be after you.

Don't tell her but I agree with you.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 3, 2010, 10:24am; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings
Bobby Mitchell.

The Danny Boshell of a previous era.

Can't believe that. He wasn't my favourite player by any means but Bob Mitchell knew where and how to pass the ball and his technique was way beyond Boshell's. OK his tackling wasn't brilliant but he wasn't there to do that.

If you went back to some old timers they'd say Mike Cullen was rubbish for the same reasons. Some might even say it about Johnny Scott. There's some kind of mistrust of playmakers at Grimsby. If a midfielder doesn't tackle like Bobby C and score goals like Joe Waters then they are considered crap. It's a team game and managers fit players' different strengths together to cover individual weaknesses as well and make that team work.
Posted by: maxfox44, December 3, 2010, 10:25am; Reply: 49
Quoted from barralad

He's what I call a TV player.  Only shows up when the match is on the box.
Posted by: theicenian, December 3, 2010, 10:29am; Reply: 50

Can't believe that. He wasn't my favourite player by any means but Bob Mitchell knew where and how to pass the ball and his technique was way beyond Boshell's. OK his tackling wasn't brilliant but he wasn't there to do that.

If you went back to some old timers they'd say Mike Cullen was rubbish for the same reasons. Some might even say it about Johnny Scott. There's some kind of mistrust of playmakers at Grimsby. If a midfielder doesn't tackle like Bobby C and score goals like Joe Waters then they are considered crap. It's a team game and managers fit players' different strengths together to cover individual weaknesses as well and make that team work.

Yup,Johnny couldn't tackle and couldn't take a tackle,always looked like he would burst into tears if someone went in hard. But by god he could cross a ball and he could make a leather ball twist in the air like a corkscrew. By far the best winger I've seen play in black & white at BP.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 3, 2010, 10:45am; Reply: 51
Quoted from theicenian

Yup,Johnny couldn't tackle and couldn't take a tackle,always looked like he would burst into tears if someone went in hard. But by god he could cross a ball and he could make a leather ball twist in the air like a corkscrew. By far the best winger I've seen play in black & white at BP.

You may remember a night game in 1961 at the end of the season against Southampton who were already promoted from Div 3. Alan Barnett saved a penalty and we won 3-2. Scott was magnificent that night and the way he played with Don Donovan was magic. The crowd were just entranced every time he got the ball. In the Southampton team was Terry Paine who was nearly ready to play for England and Scott made him look like an amateur.

Quite right about his non-physical approach though. ;)

Posted by: cannylad68, December 3, 2010, 12:06pm; Reply: 52
Bob Mitchell was an excellent player, and as previously stated was part of a 'team'.
Information for Ron Rafferty Fan Club, a friend of mine who was involved at Blundell Park at the time, told me that Ron Rafferty headed all Johnny Scot's crosses on the up.
No wonder he got the power on the ball as he did.
Didn't Mickey Cullen play midfield for us?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 3, 2010, 2:11pm; Reply: 53
Seems it's just me and Les who didn't rate Bob Mitchell then.

I do understand the importance of a midfield anchor man,i even played that position myself but i never thought Bobby Mitchell was owt special.Far better than anything we have now but he never did it for me.
Posted by: upthestripes, December 3, 2010, 2:20pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Poojah

That's a nice video, brought a tear to the eye especially as I watched clips of the Spurs and Liverpool games straight afterwards.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), December 3, 2010, 3:19pm; Reply: 55
Anyone else finding it difficult to think of players who've managed 100 games over the last ten years? It seems to have been an endless procession of loan players, mercenaries and sh1t twits.
Posted by: jungleland, December 3, 2010, 4:02pm; Reply: 56
regarding  bobby mitchell  i remember  george  kerr saying   his  was the first  name on the team  sheet ...  his  midfield  replacement   bonnyman  really was crap
Posted by: siy2k5, December 3, 2010, 4:12pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 97
Anyone else finding it difficult to think of players who've managed 100 games over the last ten years? It seems to have been an endless procession of loan players, mercenaries and sh1t twits.

Hence why we are where we are :/
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 3, 2010, 5:45pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from cannylad68
Bob Mitchell was an excellent player, and as previously stated was part of a 'team'.
Information for Ron Rafferty Fan Club, a friend of mine who was involved at Blundell Park at the time, told me that Ron Rafferty headed all Johnny Scot's crosses on the up.
No wonder he got the power on the ball as he did.
Didn't Mickey Cullen play midfield for us?

In the Southampton game Ralph Hunt headed a goal from a Scott cross that was the most powerful I've seen. What Johnny did was put his crosses just between the penalty spot and the goal area. Hunt & Rafferty just had to arrive there at the right time and ball would go in like a bullet.

Mick Cullen was in midfield for that team. I liked him but he wasn't over-popular with the fans. His replacement a couple of seasons later was Ronnie Foster who really was a class act. When Ron went back down south we had little Billy Rudd from York. Every side had a playmaker in those days.

Posted by: 1600 (Guest), December 4, 2010, 4:56am; Reply: 59
Quoted from jungleland

phil  bonnyman

Agree.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 7:31am; Reply: 60
Quoted from jungleland

phil  bonnyman

I did consider Mr Bonnyman for this accolade but I forgave him on the fact that it was him who placed that free kick on Wilko's head at Goodison back in 1984.
Posted by: barralad, December 4, 2010, 8:14am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Les Brechin

I did consider Mr Bonnyman for this accolade but I forgave him on the fact that it was him who placed that free kick on Wilko's head at Goodison back in 1984.

I cannot believe the stick Phil Bonnyman is getting in this thread. A regular in midfield in the team that attained our highest league placing since just after the war. Are people trying to say that the rest of his team mates carried him?

Far more deserving candidates IMO
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2010, 8:28am; Reply: 62
Boshell - 118 appearances in all competitions.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 9:22am; Reply: 63
Quoted from barralad

I cannot believe the stick Phil Bonnyman is getting in this thread. A regular in midfield in the team that attained our highest league placing since just after the war. Are people trying to say that the rest of his team mates carried him?

Far more deserving candidates IMO

I think it may have something to do with the big build-up and anticipation when we signed him.

IIRC it was announced in the paper that we were signing a well-renown central midfielder who was a household name and I think most people just thought "Who?" when his name was announced. I think he was on a loser even before he had kicked a ball.
Posted by: barralad, December 4, 2010, 11:24am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think it may have something to do with the big build-up and anticipation when we signed him.

IIRC it was announced in the paper that we were signing a well-renown central midfielder who was a household name and I think most people just thought "Who?" when his name was announced. I think he was on a loser even before he had kicked a ball.

Ah the good old cult of stardom..... :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2010, 11:42am; Reply: 65
Phil was a good player. This is just the same criticism of a central midfield player who holds the ball and picks the pass that we seem to get all the time at BP. One minute we are screaming for midfielders to get rid and get stuck in, the next we are dreaming about having a class passer in there. Can't win can they?

The only midfielder who could possibly suit the Town fans would have to

dribble like Johnny Scott or Dave Gilbert
pass like Andy Peake or Dave Boylen
run all day like Joe Waters
get in the box like Shaun Cunnington or John Cockerill
shoot like Ron Cockerill
tackle like Bobby C

Anything less and they are a Boshell. ;)
Posted by: Kris2, December 4, 2010, 11:47am; Reply: 66
Not sure how many games overall he played but it seemed like more than bloody 100. Jason Pearcey couldn't do anything right. Couldn't catch couldn't block and was generally only made to look good by Tommy Forecast
Posted by: Youngy, December 4, 2010, 11:49am; Reply: 67
Clearly Mumbo didnt see any of Slades 2nd season because the amount of games Reddy put the jeepers up defenders with his pace was amazing. He was rough round the edges but he was an impact player. I'm with Poojah on the Sladeball thing, I thought in the second season we played some really attacking pacey stuff, espically the home smashing of Notts County

Its tough to pick somebody who played over 100 games as generally the players who have played for Town and played over 100 games in my era of supporting (since 91) were good solid players. It's the players who have been here a season or less who are generally in my worst 11

I'm going to go for Danny Boshell, I only remember having one good game at BP. He was a midfielder who offered nothing coming forward or in a defensive role
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 12:08pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Kris2
Not sure how many games overall he played but it seemed like more than bloody 100. Jason Pearcey couldn't do anything right. Couldn't catch couldn't block and was generally only made to look good by Tommy Forecast

Pearcey played 49 times for Town.
Posted by: livosnose, December 4, 2010, 12:20pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Abdul19
Boshell - 118 appearances in all competitions.

he makes me feel sick
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 4, 2010, 12:48pm; Reply: 70

I will plump for Boshell, but I'd like to be the first person on this thread to mention Ciaran Toner, who according to that list played 90+ games, but he may have snuck on to the pitch and sulked for a few more.

Does Toner qualify Les?

Question for those slightly older than me; was Neil Robinson any good?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2010, 12:59pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I will plump for Boshell, but I'd like to be the first person on this thread to mention Ciaran Toner, who according to that list played 90+ games, but he may have snuck on to the pitch and sulked for a few more.

Does Toner qualify Les?

I thought Robinson was a good player but if i remember rightly,he had an injury that hampered him.Hernia or something?
Posted by: theicenian, December 4, 2010, 1:42pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought Robinson was a good player but if i remember rightly,he had an injury that hampered him.Hernia or something?

Bound to be hampered he was a vegan,even wore special non-leather boots.   Actually I don't think he gets into this category he's better than this. Played 119 times for town scoring 7 goals in his 4 years for us.

Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 1:45pm; Reply: 73
I remember Neil Robinsons debut at home v Oxford. Before 10 minutes were out he's scored an own goal and given away a penalty.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 1:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Does Toner qualify Les?

94 appearances according to wiki, so no.  :P
Posted by: theicenian, December 4, 2010, 1:50pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Les Brechin
I remember Neil Robinsons debut at home v Oxford. Before 10 minutes were out he's scored an own goal and given away a penalty.

True,was it as long as ten minutes. We were wondering why we'd payed 20 grand for him.  He did get better though.

Posted by: theicenian, December 4, 2010, 1:53pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Les Brechin

94 appearances according to wiki, so no.  :P

67 + 11 as sub.  with 11 goals.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2010, 2:05pm; Reply: 77
boshell was pure sh1te, for me bob mitchell was a decent enough player
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2010, 2:13pm; Reply: 78
Toner played 108 times. Much better than Boshell though!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 4, 2010, 3:16pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Les Brechin

that's the only robinson game i remember; but then again, i was the mascot that day!
Posted by: RonMariner, December 4, 2010, 8:30pm; Reply: 80
Boshell for me.

And by the way, Les is way off track citing Bob Mitchell. He was outstanding in the 1980 championship team. I realise that opinions varied on him, but still, he just would not have played so often in that team if he was crap.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 4, 2010, 9:32pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from RonMariner
Boshell for me.

And by the way, Les is way off track citing Bob Mitchell. He was outstanding in the 1980 championship team. I realise that opinions varied on him, but still, he just would not have played so often in that team if he was crap.

It's all about opinions Ron which is what makes for a decent discussion. Although I admit nominating him for the worst was wrong really as he played at a far higher level than our teams in recent years but I just thought that at that level, he was in my opinion, the weak link in the team at that time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2010, 10:14pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's all about opinions Ron which is what makes for a decent discussion. Although I admit nominating him for the worst was wrong really as he played at a far higher level than our teams in recent years but I just thought that at that level, he was in my opinion, the weak link in the team at that time.

The managers didn't think so at the time Les. I bet his name was close to first on the teamsheet. Consistently good passer of the ball. Did the simple things well. Good team player. Not a hero or a star but all teams need footsoldiers.

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:29am