Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: JUANTAYLOS, September 14, 2010, 7:22pm
Greetings from the famous 'Cod Army'  ;). Looking forward to our visit on Saturday, anyone suggest any good pubs nearby for a few drinks?  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2010, 7:30pm; Reply: 1
Greetings fellow fishy.

Plenty of pubs down the seafront.

Don't go in the Imp near the ground.Home fans pub.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 14, 2010, 7:43pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from JUANTAYLOS
Greetings from the famous 'Cod Army'  ;). Looking forward to our visit on Saturday, anyone suggest any good pubs nearby for a few drinks?  :)

Plenty of decent pubs on Cleethorpes High St and Market Place and if you're into your real ale there's a cracking pub on Cleethorpes Railway Station (The No.2 or Under The Clock) if you're coming by train. Also don't forget to sample our famous haddock and chips though I suppose you should be used to decent fish n chips coming from Fleetwood. Try Ernie Becketts in Cleethorpes Market Place or The Ocean Fish Bar in St.Peters Ave but don't use the one near the ground as I hear it's not very good now.

The only pubs really near the ground are The Imp which is usually a "home fans" only pub or The Blundell Park Hotel just across the road from the ground which usually allows small numbers of away fans in.
Posted by: gtfczak, September 14, 2010, 7:51pm; Reply: 3
the market streets good for pubs, go to steels for quality fish and chips. ( i work their and hopefully my boss will give me a pay rise if he sees this :P)
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 14, 2010, 7:53pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from gtfczak
the market streets good for pubs, go to steels for quality fish and chips. ( i work their and hopefully my boss will give me a pay rise if he sees this :P)

I was going to mention Steels but although I haven't been recently more that one person has told me that it's not as good as what it used to be.
Posted by: MarinerMatt24, September 14, 2010, 8:39pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was going to mention Steels but although I haven't been recently more that one person has told me that it's not as good as what it used to be.

dunno about that, best chippy i've eaten at  :)
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 14, 2010, 8:44pm; Reply: 6
Why doesn't someone do a pub / restaurant / hotel sticky for away fans (unless there already is one)!!
Posted by: Mariner16, September 14, 2010, 8:44pm; Reply: 7
We urine on your fish.

Do you urine on ours?
Posted by: Bignic69, September 14, 2010, 8:44pm; Reply: 8
Steels do a fantastic haddock n chips, best around by a mile
Posted by: carrot top, September 14, 2010, 8:45pm; Reply: 9
The best chippy is Harry Ramsbottoms near Seaway
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 14, 2010, 8:57pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from JUANTAYLOS

You know is riddled with worm  :P

Harry the Haddock is the chosen fish, ask Jesus.
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 14, 2010, 9:06pm; Reply: 11
Steels has gone down hill, portions appallingly small, chips very scrappy, stopped going earlier this year, waitress asked everything ok, told her no, she said sorry about that! Didn't seem bothered so ain't been back since. Ocean Bar is far better or becketts takeaway not eating in!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 14, 2010, 9:10pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from JUANTAYLOS

Filthy cod is only fit for neaderthals from Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield etc. Lincolnshire sophisticates have always eaten the Queen of Fish.

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 14, 2010, 9:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Filthy cod is only fit for neaderthals from Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield etc. Lincolnshire sophisticates have always eaten the Queen of Fish.

Too true, cod is only fit for pet food and Yorkies.

Posted by: Tinymariner, September 14, 2010, 9:58pm; Reply: 14
I went to Ernies last week and had the worst Fish Ever, really really thick greasy batter that left an awful taste. I won't be going back there in a hurry.
Can't beat the Ocean Bar on St. Peters Ave at the minute.
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 14, 2010, 11:44pm; Reply: 15
Went wiv Matty n it was ok, no consistency I suspect!
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 15, 2010, 12:12am; Reply: 16
Quoted from ticker_1610
Steels has gone down hill, portions appallingly small, chips very scrappy, stopped going earlier this year, waitress asked everything ok, told her no, she said sorry about that! Didn't seem bothered so ain't been back since. Ocean Bar is far better or becketts takeaway not eating in!

My experience not quite as bad but getting on that way.  Portions down and fish not as good.  I know of one local fish mercheant who complained that the fish he was served had been frozen.  After a big denial originally, the management accepted that he knew his stuff and the meal was then a freebie. Ernie B's is now my preferred choice
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, September 15, 2010, 12:27am; Reply: 17
How's the Pea Bung these days? Always used to be good. Haven't been in about 20 years though.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 15, 2010, 4:17am; Reply: 18
Was shut, now reopened. Pea Bung is legendary in our family as my Grandma worked there and we always got proper looked after even long after she had passed away. The scraps there are known as unmentionables btw. Cannot vouch for it's new owners, but they seem to want to do things right way, and so they should.
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 15, 2010, 8:48am; Reply: 19
Have to try the new pea bung this week, as long as it ain't doing cheap offers for pensioners, god you'll never get a seat, the hainton n jug n bottle carverys are infested with em every day, crap food anyway!
Posted by: trawldoor, September 15, 2010, 10:11am; Reply: 20
Thank`s for the Pub info fellow Deckies . Looking forward to our visit should be home from home to us lot.Big links between the ports back in our halycon days with Grimmy lads settling in God,s little acre FD. Anyway can we get some nice Ray Nobs anywhere ?
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 15, 2010, 10:15am; Reply: 21
I'm very suprised that we can't invite likeminded individuals from a sister fishing port into the Imp for pre match drinks! On our away trips we have been in numerous home team bars and pubs, with no trouble at all! It's a bit embarrassing really that a fellow fishing towns fans have to watch their backs and stay out of the Imp!
Posted by: ginnywings, September 15, 2010, 10:20am; Reply: 22
Quoted from trawldoor
Thank`s for the Pub info fellow Deckies . Looking forward to our visit should be home from home to us lot.Big links between the ports back in our halycon days with Grimmy lads settling in God,s little acre FD. Anyway can we get some nice Ray Nobs anywhere ?

Riby street for Ray Nobs and Ginnywings ;)
Posted by: stevieh, September 15, 2010, 10:33am; Reply: 23
Quoted from ticker_1610
I'm very suprised that we can't invite likeminded individuals from a sister fishing port into the Imp for pre match drinks! On our away trips we have been in numerous home team bars and pubs, with no trouble at all! It's a bit embarrassing really that a fellow fishing towns fans have to watch their backs and stay out of the Imp!

IMO It is a bit embarrassing that away fans from any club can't be welcomed into the Imp on matchdays, especially while we are in the BSP. The best part of watching Town away is visiting the pubs and mixing with the away fans before the game, almost always better than the game itself. I don't know whether it's because I don't look for it but I have NEVER had any trouble at any away game, not even Scunny.
Posted by: Paddymariner, September 15, 2010, 10:37am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ticker_1610

I look forward to the next visit of Taaargers then.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2010, 10:55am; Reply: 25
This "home fans only" policy at The Imp is quite frankly draconian but like most things Grimsby does seem to be about 30 years behind the times.

I've regularly been in pubs close to grounds at away games and always enjoyed a beer and some banter with the home fans and I don't see why this can't be the case in The Imp, especially this season.

If it did happen though, no doubt some of our more neanderthal followers would spoil it for the majority.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 15, 2010, 11:12am; Reply: 26
Quoted from ticker_1610
Have to try the new pea bung this week, as long as it ain't doing cheap offers for pensioners, god you'll never get a seat, the hainton n jug n bottle carverys are infested with em every day, crap food anyway!

One day you will be a pensioner son !   :)
Posted by: trawldoor, September 15, 2010, 2:10pm; Reply: 27
My mate is in the fish game and his contact in Grimsby has told us to head for the Market Square in Cleethorpes. Where setting of at 8.30am by minibus for a jolly good day out. Like minded footie fans are more than welcome to met up with our mixed age group for a good drink and chat about the days when you could,nt get another Trawler in our respective Fish Dock`s. How sad that a once proud Fleet in Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull, Lowesoft etc has had it`s heart ripped out due to bad foresight from the government in power at the time.
Anyway I used to stay at my Auntie`s in Scartho when I was little and thought it was quite posh am I right?
Posted by: Lambretta Mariner, September 15, 2010, 2:35pm; Reply: 28
Steels it is for me, and this is my phone screensaver!

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2010, 2:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from trawldoor
My mate is in the fish game and his contact in Grimsby has told us to head for the Market Square in Cleethorpes. Where setting of at 8.30am by minibus for a jolly good day out. Like minded footie fans are more than welcome to met up with our mixed age group for a good drink and chat about the days when you could,nt get another Trawler in our respective Fish Dock`s. How sad that a once proud Fleet in Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull, Lowesoft etc has had it`s heart ripped out due to bad foresight from the government in power at the time.
Anyway I used to stay at my Auntie`s in Scartho when I was little and thought it was quite posh am I right?

Scartho(e) is one of the nicer areas of Grimsby but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's posh.

Now if you'd said she lived down Humberston Avenue I would have been impressed.
Posted by: EvilFish, September 15, 2010, 2:50pm; Reply: 30
Often seen away fans in the Rutland without a hint of trouble. Not sure why anyone would want to drink in the Imp anyway, other than it being close to the ground.
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 15, 2010, 4:06pm; Reply: 31
At one time you couldn't fit fish chips n peas on the plate, which look considerably smaller in the photo and the peas came in a separate dish! There's no denying it Steels ain't as good as one or two chippys in the same area. It's a shame but it's the truth, I used to regularly frequent it but nowadays nah, wide berth!
Posted by: ticker_1610, September 15, 2010, 4:08pm; Reply: 32
Oh yeah n as I said the chips look small and scrappy in the photo!
Posted by: Lambretta Mariner, September 15, 2010, 4:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ticker_1610
Oh yeah n as I said the chips look small and scrappy in the photo!

I'll delete the photo if it pains you too much to look at them.

One thing about eating anywhere is it's down to personal opinion on whether you like it or not. It really annoys me when you tell somebody you are going to eat somewhere and they say 'I wouldn't go there, when I went it was crap'.
'Well when I went it was good, hence I'm going back!'

Regarding away fans and the Imp. Perhaps they are missing out on some trade here. They have 2 other bars which are rarely used and have their own access door so they could serve both home and away fans without them really coming into contact.

In these times of hardship in the pub trade the extra customers that teams like Histon etc will bring may help them stay open!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 15, 2010, 4:36pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ticker_1610
At one time you couldn't fit fish chips n peas on the plate, which look considerably smaller in the photo and the peas came in a separate dish! There's no denying it Steels ain't as good as one or two chippys in the same area. It's a shame but it's the truth, I used to regularly frequent it but nowadays nah, wide berth!

theres nothing to touch steels locally
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 15, 2010, 5:11pm; Reply: 35
Have always headed to Steels for the Jumbo when back in Meggies. Usually tank up on decent ale under the clock beforehand as there's only room for a few wee drams afterwards. Used to frequent my local chippy every Friday, the Chirpy Chippy in Bentley Street, who would fry the fillets I took up to him - superb. Whatever happened to the crass "fish and chip wars" of the 1990's when places were falling over themselves to sell God's fare for pennies? Remember going into one Grimsby hostelry whose names escapes me - but obviously sold real ale - where fish, chips and peas was available for about £1.50. Great food, but obviously unsustainable, and I assume a good number of chippies closed in the aftermath of it?
Posted by: barralad, September 15, 2010, 5:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin

Scartho(e) is one of the nicer areas of Grimsby but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's posh.

Now if you'd said she lived down Humberston Avenue I would have been impressed.

Oi!! I live there and it's dead posh! Other people have speed bumps. we have patios :)
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, September 15, 2010, 5:53pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from trawldoor

Not since they built the ghetto at Scartho Top...... ;)
Posted by: barralad, September 15, 2010, 6:20pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

Not since they built the ghetto at Scartho Top...... ;)

Err surely you mean Nunny bottom??
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 15, 2010, 7:27pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from barralad

Oi!! I live there and it's dead posh! Other people have speed bumps. we have patios :)

It's only Scartho if you live there.  To the rest of the English speaking world it's "Scaffa" as in Scaffa Baffs swimmin pool.   ;)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 15, 2010, 8:46pm; Reply: 40

I am not from Grimsby/Cleethorpes so am objective as far as great fish and chips are concerned in the area.  As a family, we tried Steele's about 3 years ago. Good but not overly-impressed. The view was it was a bit old-fashioned and maybe living on its past glories.

We went to Ocean and have been going ever since to the restaurant and takeaway. All elements have been excellent every time.   Fish and chips (etc) cannot be better.  
Posted by: ponnyfan, September 15, 2010, 10:13pm; Reply: 41
Steele's still the best in my humble opinion although I have to say that the Ocean fish bar does serve up a quality bit of fish.Marklew's is not what it was but generally I find takeaways are very much dependant on the day itself to determine the quality.What tastes fantastic one day could be average on the next - it's the luck of the draw  ;)
Posted by: kingofthekippers, September 15, 2010, 11:03pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I am not from Grimsby/Cleethorpes so am objective as far as great fish and chips are concerned in the area.  As a family, we tried Steele's about 3 years ago. Good but not overly-impressed. The view was it was a bit old-fashioned and maybe living on its past glories.

We went to Ocean and have been going ever since to the restaurant and takeaway. All elements have been excellent every time.   Fish and chips (etc) cannot be better.  

I am from Grimsby but to be honest the best fish and chips I've had were from Whitby.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 15, 2010, 11:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from trawldoor

hope you enjoy your day,ive got fond memories of fleetwood,its were my nanna came from,she moved here to grimsby during the war,the market place is a good place to be,have to agree with a majority of posters on here with regards to steeles fish and chips going down hill,the ocean bar on the main street just off the market place is worth a look,there is plenty of pubs,have a good day trawldoor
Posted by: I am reading it, September 18, 2010, 12:45pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from gtfczak

Hopefully, but not very likely.

Posted by: Welwynmariner, September 18, 2010, 12:58pm; Reply: 45
Let's hope we can be welcoming to Fleetwood on their first visit. I hope the same is true of AFC Wimbledon when they come given what happened to their club
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 18, 2010, 1:00pm; Reply: 46
cracking thread and good luck to Fleetwood after today.
Posted by: I am reading it, September 18, 2010, 1:00pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Civvy at last

My experience not quite as bad but getting on that way.  Portions down and fish not as good.  I know of one local fish mercheant who complained that the fish he was served had been frozen.  After a big denial originally, the management accepted that he knew his stuff and the meal was then a freebie. Ernie B's is now my preferred choice

OK, I'm posting under an alternative log in as a once only. I post a lot on here but it is a footy board and I dont want to mix work and pleasure. I am the owner/manager of Steels. Maybe I can get you to ask the local fish merchant involved to contact me as far as I am aware this has never happened. If someone is purported to be me then I would prefer to know about it. Thanks for all the nice comments above and I will take on board the negative ones. There has been no change in the fish, size of portions etc for many many years. However if there is a perception that this is so, I will look into it.

Thank you, standing off soap box now. GTFCZAK, dont be late for work. This username will now be retired again, if anyone does genuinely wish to contact me, I can be emailed directly via our website. This is not a place for advertising but the site is easy to find via a search engine for those that wish to.

Back to the footy please

Ian
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 18, 2010, 1:03pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from I am reading it

OK, I'm posting under an alternative log in as a once only. I post a lot on here but it is a footy board and I dont want to mix work and pleasure. I am the owner/manager of Steels. Maybe I can get you to ask the local fish merchant involved to contact me as far as I am aware this has never happened. If someone is purported to be me then I would prefer to know about it. Thanks for all the nice comments above and I will take on board the negative ones. There has been no change in the fish, size of portions etc for many many years. However if there is a perception that this is so, I will look into it.

Thank you, standing off soap box now. GTFCZAK, dont be late for work. This username will now be retired again, if anyone does genuinely wish to contact me, I can be emailed directly via our website. This is not a place for advertising but the site is easy to find via a search engine for those that wish to.

Back to the footy please

Ian

It was John Fenty so i heard.
Posted by: James77, September 18, 2010, 1:29pm; Reply: 49
Fair dos for posting on this Ian, but a good thread all the same.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 18, 2010, 1:35pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from I am reading it

Back to the footy please

Ian

didnt you work in a bank and have to leave quickly not that long ago ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 18, 2010, 1:46pm; Reply: 51
You do not get very good fish in Suffolk, :'(

They eat plaice and cod, I have to ask if they have any HADDOCK. :o
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 6:25pm