Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), April 8, 2021, 10:51am
No member of this board should call for the banning of another member.
Everyone has a right to an opinion.
Freedom of speech is precious but with it comes great responsibility. You have a right to free speech but not a right to break the confindes of free speech.
If you have a problem within the text of comments then report it.
Posted by: golfer, April 8, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 1
Have I missed something - what's this about.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 8, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 2
Quoted from golfer
Have I missed something - what's this about.

I guess it refers to the last few pages of the thread called "The deal"
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 8, 2021, 11:29am; Reply: 3
For as much as I disagree with 99.9% of what a certain member says I still believe he has the right to say what he does.
As long as the content remains with the rules of the forum.
Only rime have I called for members to be removed when it's overstepped the mark, ie blatantly racist or homophobic statements.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), April 8, 2021, 11:41am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
For as much as I disagree with 99.9% of what a certain member says I still believe he has the right to say what he does.
As long as the content remains with the rules of the forum.
Only rime have I called for members to be removed when it's overstepped the mark, ie blatantly racist or homophobic statements.

100% agree.
Posted by: DB, April 8, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 5
Everybody has an opinion, like them or not. We have freedom of speech and whether you like what one member posts or you are like 99.999999999999999999% of other members who don't. You still have to let him post, otherwise, democracy is dead and tyranny and anarchy rule.

I don't like standing up for him but he's not hitler!
Posted by: Mariner16, April 8, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 6
Please ban Thedonisthedon  :P
Posted by: Hagrid, April 8, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 7
i dont like Kris2, but i'd not say ban him, public form, folk can post what they like long as it doesnt cross an abusive line

remember a bloke called Fat Cobra, got himself banned off here
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 8, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 8
To be honest anyone can say anything they like, just because someone doesn't agree with it then there's no call to ban someone.

However if that person were to become abusive either to a person or by language then that's a different matter.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 8, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 9
Yep, I don't want to be a member of a board that only has one view.

Then again, I'm with Groucho Marx in that I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would accept me.....
Posted by: GrimRob, April 8, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 10
If you don't want to see someone's posts go to the "User Message Block" area on your Member Centre then you don't have to, but those who do still can.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 8, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 11
This is a forum at the end of the day and in the scheme of things people should be able allowed to speak freely but without offence to others.

It’s a message board an not the UN.
Posted by: devs, April 8, 2021, 1:48pm; Reply: 12
Freedom of speech has become muddied in past few years - largely by extremes on both right and left of politics
Social media has also given the bigots, idiots and uneducated/uninformed a platform to express their bigoted, idiotic and uneducated/uninformed thoughts and opinions

However, anyone has the right to express an opinion (honestly held) as long as it doesn't break rules/laws surrounding racism/sexism/homophobia etc

Problem is many thousands of social media commentators (and publications like the Daily Mail) are incapable of divorcing the two

Sadly, the genie is out of the bottle...
Posted by: Humbercod, April 8, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GrimRob
If you don't want to see someone's posts go to the "User Message Block" area on your Member Centre then you don't have to, but those who do still can.

This just sums up the snowflake world we live in!
Posted by: mimma, April 8, 2021, 2:54pm; Reply: 14
' I disagree with every word you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it"

This should be pinned to the top of this forum.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 8, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 15
Technically Mr Noche’s post last night did use phrases that have been ‘banned’ by most media outlets as racially divisive.
Posted by: golfer, April 8, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hagrid
i dont like Kris2, but i'd not say ban him, public form, folk can post what they like long as it doesnt cross an abusive line

Hagrid - Please enlighten me on what Fat Cobra said to get him banned. Would he have been banned today ? I understand you had one or two spats with him.
Posted by: Dan, April 8, 2021, 3:34pm; Reply: 17
Actually Rob runs this forum at his discretion. No one has a ‘right’ to freedom of speech here. He can set whatever rules he wants as long as they’re not discriminatory. He doesn’t, but you have no rights here anymore than you would have if the local pub decided to bar you because you’re a knob.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, April 8, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Dan
Actually Rob runs this forum at his discretion. No one has a ‘right’ to freedom of speech here. He can set whatever rules he wants as long as they’re not discriminatory. He doesn’t, but you have no rights here anymore than you would have if the local pub decided to bar you because you’re a knob.

Do we have to wear a mask?

It's all getting very confusing. Shouldn't there be a poster called Karen screaming about freedom of speech, wearing masks and their 1st amendment rights?

Posted by: ska face, April 8, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 19
I agree, banning members is completely beyond the pale. The right thing to do is threaten legal action against those you don’t like, tell Rob to pull entire threads and invite those who disagree with you in for a ‘cosy chat’.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 8, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from golfer

Hagrid - Please enlighten me on what Fat Cobra said to get him banned. Would he have been banned today ? I understand you had one or two spats with him.

i never had spats. just didnt like his choice of language! and it was constant, think it was just a mutual call from the Mods at the time
Posted by: Sandford1981, April 8, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 21
Users should be able to call for the banning of members they don’t like, the same people should also expect not to like being called a ‘member’ by others for doing so.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 8, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 22
I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A
Posted by: Davec, April 8, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 23
I remember there used to be a poster on this forum who was only a kid, he was immature and very raw which showed in the posts but he was only a kid, this poster was never rude or abusive, never caused any trouble but some senior posters on this forum at the time demanded for this poster to be banned from the forum purely on the basis he is immature.

Eventually he this poster was made a Moderator for a brief period which literally made older posters almost cry. In the end this poster did get banned purely on the basis his opinions were unpopular and nothing to do with abuse or causing trouble.

I'm sure many people will remember this poster and all you have to do is Google the posters name and the fishy and you'll find many threads on the archive section with posters demanding for this poster to be banned and also some other posters who didn't want him banned as he was harmless.

It is clear there are some posters on here who don't like people who has a different opinion to them.

This is what a forum is for, for people to voice their opinions and debate, going to be excrement if everybody had the same opinion.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 8, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Davec
I remember there used to be a poster on this forum who was only a kid, he was immature and very raw which showed in the posts but he was only a kid, this poster was never rude or abusive, never caused any trouble but some senior posters on this forum at the time demanded for this poster to be banned from the forum purely on the basis he is immature.

Eventually he this poster was made a Moderator for a brief period which literally made older posters almost cry. In the end this poster did get banned purely on the basis his opinions were unpopular and nothing to do with abuse or causing trouble.

I'm sure many people will remember this poster and all you have to do is Google the posters name and the fishy and you'll find many threads on the archive section with posters demanding for this poster to be banned and also some other posters who didn't want him banned as he was harmless.

It is clear there are some posters on here who don't like people who has a different opinion to them.

This is what a forum is for, for people to voice their opinions and debate, going to be excrement if everybody had the same opinion.

Hi Aaron!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 8, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 25
I thought Aaron was a character. A persona adopted by someone taking the pish.
Posted by: Kris2, April 8, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid

For the record I don't dislike you and think you post a lot of good stuff. Do think you can be a bit of a moaning git and obsessively attack a single player though, like you're not happy unless you have somebody you can focus on and moan about.

Somebody else doesn't like me on here because I pointed out that every week they have a go at Macca for every little thing, even goals that were not his fault. Ryan Bennett also didn't like me because I made a joke about him and Danny North buying sweets in Tesco with some of the youth team members making them unfit, he was so salty that he made an account just to come shout me down, he claimed they were buying sandwiches that were in a completely different aisle  ;D and then confronted me at Tesco a week later after he recognised me as the only person who was in the aisle while they were feeding their goodie habit. I didn't moan that he had a go at me here though because it wasn't that big of a deal to me.

In the end opinions are opinions, as long as you're not disruptive or trolling for the sake of it then you should be entitled to them. You can't please everyone though.  ;)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 8, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Sandford1981
Users should be able to call for the banning of members they don’t like, the same people should also expect not to like being called a ‘member’ by others for doing so.

Calling for someone to be banned is merely an expression of freedom of speech. As you say, you have a right to call for it.

Actually banning them is a different matter.

Anyway, I don’t think the poster calling for Fills Notches to be banned was doing so because he disagreed with Notches, but because Notches is obnoxious.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 8, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Calling for someone to be banned is merely an expression of freedom of speech. As you say, you have a right to call for it.

Actually banning them is a different matter.

Anyway, I don’t think the poster calling for Fills Notches to be banned was doing so because he disagreed with Notches, but because Notches is obnoxious.

Obnoche- A person who is darkly obnoxious.

It will be in the OED next edition.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, April 8, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

i never had spats. just didnt like his choice of language! and it was constant, think it was just a mutual call from the Mods at the time

Fat Cobra never went anywhere unlike your blue font you flipping sharp object
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 8, 2021, 6:49pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Fishy clapper

And there you go, crossed the line and getting aggressive when there's no need...
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, April 8, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 31
Thats what did for the Grim Outlook. Everyone was banned for being foul mouthed and obnoxious, oh and some of them didn't know the difference between a Camembert and a Reblochon.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 8, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Hello Cobra
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 8, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 33
Thats what did for the Grim Outlook. Everyone was banned for being foul mouthed and obnoxious, oh and some of them didn't know the difference between a Camembert and a Reblochon.

It was so sweary that one of the posters even called himself ‘That Cunf Swin’.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 8, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 34
I thought Aaron was a character. A persona adopted by someone taking the pish.

The new Michael Barrymore, they said.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 8, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 35

It was so sweary that one of the posters even called himself ‘That Cunf Swin’.

Swin banned himself   8)

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 8, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 36
Good to hear this.

Let’s keep discussing things in a healthy manner hey, whether we agree with each other or not
Posted by: realist, April 8, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 37
I have blocked noche and Penfras. Happy days
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 8, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 38
Blocking someone is quite comical though don’t you think?

It’s a bit like sticking your fingers in your eyes, closing your eyes and shouting lah lah lah lah lah
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 9, 2021, 12:24am; Reply: 39
You may as well say lah lah lah where you are concerned.
Posted by: realist, April 9, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 40
Noche, someone forwarded your post to me. I think you have caused more hate and distress than any other poster on this forum, whilst at the same time claiming you are being bullied. My own little world is a far nicer place without you so say whatever you like. You will end up with no one to play with
Posted by: wigworld, April 9, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 41
We do have a number of vexatious wind-up merchants who seem to have abundant free time to post their rubbish.
Rather than banning them, maybe the mods should politely ask them to tone it down, which might remove the need to ban them.
Posted by: golfer, April 9, 2021, 7:55pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Blocking someone is quite comical though don’t you think?

It’s a bit like sticking your fingers in your eyes, closing your eyes and shouting lah lah lah lah lah

How can you close your eyes if you have got your fingers stuck in them ?
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:35am