Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: vernontown, October 1, 2020, 10:14pm
has anyone actually had any information from the club?

They took the money several weeks ago, but have not had any contact from them. Starting to regret bothering, as the club appear to have no regard for the supporters!  Just an email update would be polite!  At the end of the day we have paid for what may well be a season without any live games, We took the risk. Now the club are taking the urine! Absolutely no communication from them at all, even though the first home game should have taken place. Tempted to do a charge back on my credit card to be honest.  I've put my money in and been shown utter contempt. Meanwhile the board appear to have put nothing in.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 1, 2020, 10:21pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from vernontown
has anyone actually had any information from the club?

They took the money several weeks ago, but have not had any contact from them. Starting to regret bothering, as the club appear to have no regard for the supporters!  Just an email update would be polite!  At the end of the day we have paid for what may well be a season without any live games, We took the risk. Now the club are taking the urine! Absolutely no communication from them at all, even though the first home game should have taken place. Tempted to do a charge back on my credit card to be honest.  I've put my money in and been shown utter contempt. Meanwhile the board appear to have put nothing in.

I said it weeks ago, you’d have to be mad to part with your cash for a season ticket. At ANY club. But particularly ours.

I think GTFC are good people and well meaning, but to the core, they’re useless. From top to bottom. And always have been.

I’m not saying that I’d do a better job, but it’s the truth.

In fact, you know what? I WOULD do a better job!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 1, 2020, 10:36pm; Reply: 2

I supported the club last season by not asking for a refund but Jeez I'm glad I didn't renew this season.

Bring on the red crosses.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 1, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

I supported the club last season by not asking for a refund but Jeez I'm glad I didn't renew this season.

Green cross from me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 1, 2020, 10:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Heisenberg

Green cross from me.

Does that mean you agree or not?   :)

Posted by: friskneymariner, October 1, 2020, 11:16pm; Reply: 5

Said the same at the time,they knew the risks when they renewed their tickets,they must have known there was a risk of a second wave.I saw  renewing my season ticket was  too risky when the club expected the fans to carry all the risk.

.I feel those who bought their season tickets should view it as making a very magnanimous donation to the club something I was not in a position to do.
Posted by: davmariner, October 2, 2020, 12:21am; Reply: 6
Not sure what there is to say really? The pilots were delayed and it’s pretty clear there won’t be any spectators for many months and ST holders will have to watch via iFollow. I suspect the club has as much details as we do regarding any progress in this respect.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 2, 2020, 6:13am; Reply: 7
I purchased mine because it’s just something I do and I was able to do that.

I know the club are hiding behind the government guidance and the like but I’m still expecting us to receive a fine and or worse for not fulfilling our fixtures...at this stage I’m not even getting a game on iFollow to watch.

Whether fans are allowed in is anybody’s guess. I guess it depends which side of the COVID fence you sit. The clubs leadership imitates that of government...clueless and chaotic.

Whilst I’m not sure what the club could do, as mentioned, a courtesy email to say sears and so forth have been allocated and tickets, should purchasers wish to, are available for collection.

It’s beginning to feel again like the club were happy to take the cash but aren’t even having the courtesy to thank and keep those people abreast of any developments; even if it to simply say “we don’t know at this stage but thank you for spending your hard earned cash on essentially a hobby in these difficult times”.

It’s alright though, the club will be safe, the enigmatic and inspirational Vickers is on the case so I feel safe now...
Posted by: pizzzza, October 2, 2020, 7:01am; Reply: 8
I didn't renew but feel the club should be bending over backwards to show their gratitude to those that were brave enough to do so. An email or a statement of thanks on the OS wouldn't cost them anything.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 2, 2020, 7:17am; Reply: 9
I’ve said it before, the terms and conditions GTFC released aren’t compatible with consumer protection laws. The whole basis of the consumer protection laws are that customers are not put at an unfair disadvantage. Paying for something and getting nothing or a token replacement valued far less than you paid for is about as slam dunk an example of customers being put at an unfair advantage.

I did suggest everyone who could pays with a credit card. Your CC provider won’t care about GTFC’s hastily written t&c’s. They’ll follow the relevant consumer protection laws and will just give you a refund.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 2, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 10
If they’ve told you clearly in advance that this might happen and that you are buying tickets entirely at your own risk, I don’t think the right to have your money back applies. The devil will be in the detail - exactly what the club said, how they said it and when.
Posted by: brigg_mariner, October 2, 2020, 9:14am; Reply: 11
I bought my season ticket same as I do every year with the "HOPE" of perhaps attending a game this season, I didn't expect too, it was more in hope.

I did not but shares as you don't actually get anything out of it.
I did not put into the crowd funder as again you didn't actually get anything out of it.

I bought my season in the hope I would get something out of it, if not then I am happy for my money to go the club as that's what supporters do, support the club on and off the field.

As per the above posters, I do agree that a simple email or article on the OS wouldn't go a miss, but did we really expect any different?

UTM
Posted by: mariner83, October 2, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 12
Quoted from brigg_mariner
I bought my season ticket same as I do every year with the "HOPE" of perhaps attending a game this season, I didn't expect too, it was more in hope.

I did not but shares as you don't actually get anything out of it.
I did not put into the crowd funder as again you didn't actually get anything out of it.

I bought my season in the hope I would get something out of it, if not then I am happy for my money to go the club as that's what supporters do, support the club on and off the field.

As per the above posters, I do agree that a simple email or article on the OS wouldn't go a miss, but did we really expect any different?

UTM

Agree with this.  I knew it was a risk, when I bought them.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 2, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 13
Oh boo hoo I haven’t got a thank you email from the club . You bought a season ticket because you love GTFC and you knew they needed the ££ more than ever . Get over yourselves and get behind the club instead of bitc.hing ffs
Posted by: pen penfras, October 2, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 14
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Oh boo hoo I haven’t got a thank you email from the club . You bought a season ticket because you love GTFC and you knew they needed the ££ more than ever . Get over yourselves and get behind the club instead of bitc.hing ffs

Completely agree. The club have far more important things to sort out right now, such as the mess that we're in than spending time writing a thank you note to supporters who purchased a ticket. I thought people who bought them were by and large doing it to support the club more than attend games, because there was always a risk that this would happen.

There have been lots of statements saying how great our supporters have been in supporting the club through these difficult times. How many times does it need to be said before you're happy?
Posted by: LH, October 2, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 15

This. Although I want a 4 page feature on myself in the programme the first season we go back to normal as thanks for stumping the money up.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 2, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 16

spot on, bought it with risks attached, gutted we cant go but was my decison, maybe when things are normal club may say oh heres 10% off next years price, but doesnt bother me, clubs more important
Posted by: Croxton, October 2, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 17
I bought a Share, a Champions book, a season ticket, chucked a tenner at the crowd funder and will buy iFollow for away games. If we could sponsor players I'd buy Hanson a walking stick. The more those of us who can afford to help towards the survival of The Mariners the better. I'm aware that I'm a privileged retiree with no mortgage or young family so I won't be troubling my credit card provider.

The letter from the Chairman which accompanied the ST renewal pack was thankful for all our efforts and crystal clear about the conditions of purchase. It took a few days for the FAQ's to appear on the OS but no one can have been in any sense misled.

Yes, a confirming email would have been nice and the iFollow codes were done at a rush but there are far more concerning issues now around testing, no training and EFL governance.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 2, 2020, 11:11am; Reply: 18
I don't want a massive fawning thank you or a refund as I understood the risks in buying a season ticket. I'm really disappointed the club haven't bothered to send out a basic e-mail acknowledgment to everyone who applied and has now been charged though. They've got all our e-mail addresses from the application forms - it's not exactly hard or time consuming to knock together an e-mail saying 'your season ticket application has been processed and your card has been charged. we'll be in contact again as soon as we're able to confirm our plans for letting fans back in' etc
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 2, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 19

Does that mean you agree or not?   :)

Ha, I now see the 3 pints I had clouded my answer there! I agree.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 2, 2020, 2:16pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Chrisblor
I don't want a massive fawning thank you or a refund as I understood the risks in buying a season ticket. I'm really disappointed the club haven't bothered to send out a basic e-mail acknowledgment to everyone who applied and has now been charged though. They've got all our e-mail addresses from the application forms - it's not exactly hard or time consuming to knock together an e-mail saying 'your season ticket application has been processed and your card has been charged. we'll be in contact again as soon as we're able to confirm our plans for letting fans back in' etc

This is pretty much how I feel but also I’m still optimistic that we’ll see something this season at some point. I knew the risk and what will be will be.

Though I do think the match passes should have just been emailed out automatically rather than asking people to collect them, but maybe that’s just me.

I don’t want any thank you’s as I do believe that Phil Day etc.. appreciates what people have done here but I think from an engagement point of view the club now need to think quickly how they reach out to EVERY possible and potential supporter as for lots of reasons I don’t think it’s a given that people will come flooding back straight away.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 2, 2020, 4:04pm; Reply: 21
They’ve not even had the courtesy to tell us which seats we’ve been allocated...I mean that’s a really simple thing to do.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2020, 4:09pm; Reply: 22
I get the impression they are not really that bothered if the season is curtailed. Not being very pro-active.

I think they should be pushing the iFollow streams hard as a way of bringing in income, if and when we start playing matches again, whether with crowds or not. Some kind of season pass at a discount would be something I would be interested in, as would others I've spoken to.

Cod Almighty have touched on the season ticket issue in their latest diary:

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7659
Posted by: Stadium, October 2, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Hagrid

spot on, bought it with risks attached, gutted we cant go but was my decison, maybe when things are normal club may say oh heres 10% off next years price, but doesnt bother me, clubs more important

Genuine question.
Have you had any communication at all after purchasing?
Posted by: LH, October 2, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Though I do think the match passes should have just been emailed out automatically rather than asking people to collect them

At a time when we should be limiting contact with others and spending any time with others outside this seemed a pretty obvious thing to do.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 2, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Stadium

Genuine question.
Have you had any communication at all after purchasing?

No i havent
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 2, 2020, 5:13pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from LH

At a time when we should be limiting contact with others and spending any time with others outside this seemed a pretty obvious thing to do.

I sent them a slightly arsey e-mail about it and suggested they just automatically e-mailed out the passes to every season ticket holder. Got a reply from them stating "this is in the works as we are currently migrating over to a new ticketing system", so I presume based on that the new ticketing system also contains some kind of CRM functionality. This was over two weeks ago now and there hasn't been any further communication with season ticket holders since then, so I guess the migration must still be taking place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 2, 2020, 5:40pm; Reply: 27
In these very difficult times it is par for the course that the Mariners, under this board, have looked way off the pace.

The only thing they have have been interested in is keeping costs to a bare minimum, at the expense of everything else.

The failure to invest in modern systems of communications and bringing internal procedures up to even 20th century standards, make us look like what we are - a poorly run club with zero ambition with no discernable investment in the stadium, the infrastructure or indeed the playing staff. Even the manager had to put money in himself!

Fenty doesn't know what investment means. To him it seems to be what most other clubs would see as minor improvements or the important day to day workings of a professional outfit. Even the most basic improvement sees him crowing - the floodlights bright enough to see or a lift put in for disabled supporters seems to be the pinacle of his ambition.

We had better wake up soon - it may come to a shock to the clubs hierarchy but the season has actually started, and despite everything will no doubt continue to a finish one way or another.

I suppose Holloway must have had his eyes wide open but to leave a legacy under this lot will take a miracle.

Posted by: moosey_club, October 2, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 28
Day is making it no secret that he feels the season should not have even started, get the impression he would gladly see it ended sooner rather than later, especially if that means we save money..........happy enough to sell season tickets on a no refund basis though.
Posted by: Stadium, October 2, 2020, 6:28pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

No i havent

Thank you.
Posted by: mimma, October 2, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Stadium

Thank you.

I had a phone call to tell me I couldn't have my seat in the lower Findus, and which stand would I prefer instead.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 2, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Stadium

Thank you.

See Mr Day. That’s how easy it is. 😆
Posted by: Stadium, October 2, 2020, 7:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from KingstonMariner

See Mr Day. That’s how easy it is. 😆

Simple😉
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 2, 2020, 9:37pm; Reply: 33
Everyone contributes in some way to keep the club going , that’s what a club means . Whether some people think they’ve done more than others is open to their opinion.
ST holders deserve the same respect as someone who can only afford to stick £30 into a crowdfund or through the club shop .
Steaming into the directors , the antiquated ticketing system , the lack of marketing of iFollow game passes is just pi.ss poor . Most intelligent people are more than able to find the iFollow link if they really want to or not give a fook they haven’t been allocated a seat when they’re not going to be in BP till march ffs . It’s actually laughable that we have a vocal minority who seem incapable of coping by themselves.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 2, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 34
Everyone contributes in some way to keep the club going , that’s what a club means . Whether some people think they’ve done more than others is open to their opinion.
ST holders deserve the same respect as someone who can only afford to stick £30 into a crowdfund or through the club shop .
Steaming into the directors , the antiquated ticketing system , the lack of marketing of iFollow game passes is just pi.ss poor . Most intelligent people are more than able to find the iFollow link if they really want to or not give a fook they haven’t been allocated a seat when they’re not going to be in BP till march ffs . It’s actually laughable that we have a vocal minority who seem incapable of coping by themselves.

If you “contribute in some way” you’re entitled to an opinion, Ideally that opinion should be based upon true experience or fact and thus credible regardless of how fervently others may dismiss it.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 3, 2020, 12:38am; Reply: 35
.....And if it is a ‘club’ it ought to consider its members.

Some folk are happy to fork out on season tickets, to be ignored and not expect anything in return. Some people might need a bit of respect to encourage them to do the same again. What’s better for the club? To be a dwindling band of the selfless or to thrive more by giving some simple consideration?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 36
Nobody expected anything less from the club...we’re hardly forward thinking in the ‘looking after your fans’ category, nor are they remotely modern in their approach to marketing.

However, I don’t give a excrement about a thank you, I made the choice to purchase a ST but receiving my iFollow voucher on a tiny piece of paper, zero instructions (people can make Jones about anyone with half a brain, several folk I know are intelligent but have never used iFollow before) was ridiculous. There’s been some inconsistency in contact with the club for those that have bought one. I’ve had nothing for them regarding allocated seats and so forth yet others have.

I don’t think it’s relevant to discuss how much people put in to the club (ironically I’d imagine fans have put much more in than any of Fenty’s chums on the board during all this) and everyone should be given the same level of respect and thanks, but once again, it feels like a missed opportunity to build some bridges with the fans.

I don’t need thanking to be a town fan or a pat on the back, none of us do, but when some folk have spent a fair few hundred quid recently, on something which may be useless you can see why some are a little annoyed.

At this moment in time, whether people have bought shares or a ST, neither seems like a worthwhile purchase other than pouring money in to a private company with no return.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 37
The club are acting more like drug dealers every year, they know they have their addicts, regular clients and that because of our addiction we keep returning.....just like a dealer the product has been getting cut weaker and weaker while they keep prices high, this year, managing to sell a virtually zero content product for an even higher price.

People will eventually reach breaking point and like any addiction you can kick the habit, not having access to it is hard at first but in time you fill the hole with something else.

The club should be bending over backwards to keep fans interested, appreciated and feeling valued but general feedback appears they arent.

Whilst nowhere in sight yet,  the club will eventually open its doors .......they may well be in for a rude awakening at that point.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 38
Strange analogy ^^^^
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 39
Quoted from moosey_club
The club are acting more like drug dealers every year, they know they have their addicts, regular clients and that because of our addiction we keep returning.....just like a dealer the product has been getting cut weaker and weaker while they keep prices high, this year, managing to sell a virtually zero content product for an even higher price.

People will eventually reach breaking point and like any addiction you can kick the habit, not having access to it is hard at first but in time you fill the hole with something else.

The club should be bending over backwards to keep fans interested, appreciated and feeling valued but general feedback appears they arent.

Whilst nowhere in sight yet,  the club will eventually open its doors .......they may well be in for a rude awakening at that point.

Odd analogy but one that completely nails it to be honest.

At first I really missed going to football and I’ll be back as soon as but I have to admit I’ve been doing some different things on a weekend that I’ve really enjoyed and the thought has crossed my mind what I enjoy more. When I sat and thought about it the product on the pitch has often not been my main reason for attending.

Whilst the PR, media and web proposition remains in the hands of a few hard working and well meaning enthusiastic amateurs I think the likelihood of the club reaching out and engaging in creative ways that will ultimately result in ticket purchases remains low.

Once fans are allowed back it will be a much harder road to recovery than many imagine.

Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 40
It may be odd but it’s a perfect analogy. Fenty has spent his entire tenure telling us it’s important not to devalue the product but what’s actually done is the very opposite...

Going to football for many is a habit, same as going to the pub, using fruit machines, drugs, playing football and so on...they can all be kicked.

For some, the club have pleaded poverty, they’ve taken cash year on year and fans have seen nothing in return. Now granted, we all know that’s a gamble with sport but they’re hardly bending over backwards to try and keep people interested.

For others, the club can do no wrong and seemingly deserve praise and support,
Posted by: Stadium, October 3, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 41
Strange analogy ^^^^

But a very good one which nicely sums the situation up.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 3, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Heisenberg

Green cross from me.

Is that some kind of code?  ;)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Stadium

But a very good one which nicely sums the situation up.

I’ve been doing drugs for the best part of 30 years and I’ve never likened it to supporting GTFC.
And I’ve never imagined Fenty as my dealer 😂😂😂😂
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 44
Fenty would be an awful dealer...it’s impossible for him to remain silent and inconspicuous...
Posted by: rancido, October 3, 2020, 1:50pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

At first I really missed going to football and I’ll be back as soon as but I have to admit I’ve been doing some different things on a weekend that I’ve really enjoyed and the thought has crossed my mind what I enjoy more. When I sat and thought about it the product on the pitch has often not been my main reason for attending.

Whilst the PR, media and web proposition remains in the hands of a few hard working and well meaning enthusiastic amateurs I think the likelihood of the club reaching out and engaging in creative ways that will ultimately result in ticket purchases remains low.

Once fans are allowed back it will be a much harder road to recovery than many imagine.

I know attitudes and circumstances were different but after a 5 year cessation of games due to world War 2 the comparative attendances make interesting reading. Our last home game before the war was in Division 1 on 2/9/1939 against Preston North End and the gate was 6,932.  When the season proper recommenced in 1946 the first home game was a Division 1 fixture, 3/9/1946, against Wolves with18,327 attending  followed by a home game 4 days later against Preston North End with 18,571 in BP. Our average home gate that season was 15,602 , so the appetite to watch town at home was still their. Admittedly there are many other distractions away from football now and a lot of fans would rather watch The Premiersh*t live on tv but the attraction for town fans to watch their home team will still be there.

I bought my ST knowing that there was a reasonable chance the season could be affected or even curtailed but that was a risk I was prepared to take. It's not as if I could afford to throw £255 away but I had already budgeted to that commitment so the money was going out anyway. The other fact , for me anyway , is that the money will help to ensure that when this situation is resolved then there is a strong possibility that I will still have a football club to support. I know it is a much derided expression but there is still a lot of truth in the expression " It's not what your country ( club ) can do for you , it's what you can do for your country ( club).
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 2:03pm; Reply: 46
Well said ^^^👍👍
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 3, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree... I guess the feeling of us following the team and getting high when Town win and then despair when they lose has the same effect on the brain as taking drugs, so whether they're produced by your body yourself on the back of our performances or bought in some shady deal I can see where the analogy comes from
Posted by: Stadium, October 3, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 48

I’ve been doing drugs for the best part of 30 years and I’ve never likened it to supporting GTFC.
And I’ve never imagined Fenty as my dealer 😂😂😂😂

But have you been aware you've even attended in your drug haze ???
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from rancido

I know attitudes and circumstances were different but after a 5 year cessation of games due to world War 2 the comparative attendances make interesting reading. Our last home game before the war was in Division 1 on 2/9/1939 against Preston North End and the gate was 6,932.  When the season proper recommenced in 1946 the first home game was a Division 1 fixture, 3/9/1946, against Wolves with18,327 attending  followed by a home game 4 days later against Preston North End with 18,571 in BP. Our average home gate that season was 15,602 , so the appetite to watch town at home was still their. Admittedly there are many other distractions away from football now and a lot of fans would rather watch The Premiersh*t live on tv but the attraction for town fans to watch their home team will still be there.

I bought my ST knowing that there was a reasonable chance the season could be affected or even curtailed but that was a risk I was prepared to take. It's not as if I could afford to throw £255 away but I had already budgeted to that commitment so the money was going out anyway. The other fact , for me anyway , is that the money will help to ensure that when this situation is resolved then there is a strong possibility that I will still have a football club to support. I know it is a much derided expression but there is still a lot of truth in the expression " It's not what your country ( club ) can do for you , it's what you can do for your country ( club).

I think that’s going to be the order of this season never mind the day.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Stadium

But have you been aware you've even attended in your drug haze ???

Unless the last 30 years has been a dream then yes thanks .
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 51
After watching our first two or three games this season then tripping ones mammaries off would at least make the games more palatable...
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:06pm