Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 30, 2020, 9:04am
So they are getting a government bailout in Grant's not loans and will start on the weekend.

Looks like we will have to avoid a place in the bottom two this season after all
Posted by: Poojah, September 30, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 1
Putting aside out own immediate predicament, I think this is brilliant news for non-league football as a whole. We know from our own time down in the darkest corners of the Conference just how easy it is to be forgotten about.

Posted by: ginnywings, September 30, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 2
Good news for them, and good news for football. The pyramid needs to be kept intact for the good of the game, not to mention all those players who are worried where their next pay packet is coming from.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54352735
Posted by: Croxton, September 30, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 3
Looks like Harry Cardwell can reboot his career now at Chorley. Chorley's CEO has detailed how much the club has spent on upgrading facilities and how they hope to bring live coverage of games to fans. Interesting to note that almost all staff and players are individually sponsored. I guess the two players not sponsored are recent arrivals.

https://www.chorleyfc.com/2020/09/29/terry-robinson-on-2020-21/
Posted by: toontown, September 30, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 4
Yeah this is actually good news for the footy pyramid, despite the risk of potential relegation it brings, hopefully that won't be an issue.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 30, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 5
Great news. Hopefully Billy Bunter's postal order is on its way to the EFL.
Posted by: Croxton, September 30, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 6
Martin Vickers , speaking in Parliament, just mentioned using former terraces when fans return. When was he last at BP?!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 30, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Croxton
Martin Vickers , speaking in Parliament, just mentioned using former terraces when fans return. When was he last at BP?!

He's there just about every Saturday home game.
Posted by: Croxton, September 30, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

He's there just about every Saturday home game.

He should know that the 'terraces' are no longer there then and BP is all seated.  
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 30, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Croxton

He should know that the 'terraces' are no longer there then and BP is all seated.  

You know what he means. Whilst the terrace isn’t there, it really wouldn’t hurt if there were a couple of hundred fans stood on the flat corners. But it won’t happen.

As for Vickers, I saw him at either the Scunny or Exeter game, not sure. Spoke to him too. Putting politics aside, nice guy.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 30, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Heisenberg

You know what he means. Whilst the terrace isn’t there, it really wouldn’t hurt if there were a couple of hundred fans stood on the flat corners. But it won’t happen.

As for Vickers, I saw him at either the Scunny or Exeter game, not sure. Spoke to him too. Putting politics aside, nice guy.

Scunny away?

Though he’s the wrong political colour for me at least he’s raising the question which is something the “member” for Great Grimsby has neglected to do.
Posted by: Croxton, October 1, 2020, 9:29am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Heisenberg

You are correct. A little hasty on my part. It just seemed a rather peripheral question when everyone else was stressing the urgency of acting on the successful pilots and allowing some fans in to help clubs survive. I don't doubt he's a loyal supporter and I think he was traduced unnecessarily in Findlater's article which hit the mark generally but was over personal in describing Vickers as inane.
I have never lived in N.E.Lincs so I can't comment on his effectiveness as an MP.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 1, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Croxton

You are correct. A little hasty on my part. It just seemed a rather peripheral question when everyone else was stressing the urgency of acting on the successful pilots and allowing some fans in to help clubs survive. I don't doubt he's a loyal supporter and I think he was traduced unnecessarily in Findlater's article which hit the mark generally but was over personal in describing Vickers as inane.
I have never lived in N.E.Lincs so I can't comment on his effectiveness as an MP.

Martin is a nice enough chap and very approachable. I used to work with him donkeys years ago, before he took up his career in politics and I actually inherited the job he did when he left here to set up his own business. (A newsagents/card shop down Freeman Street)
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 1, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Scunny away?

Though he’s the wrong political colour for me at least he’s raising the question which is something the “member” for Great Grimsby has neglected to do.

Home.  But I think it was Exeter, now I think about it.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2020, 8:02pm; Reply: 14
Just been confirmed that the National League will be starting on Saturday after they got a 10 million pounds loan, secured over 3 months. Good news.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 2, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 15
Good news, though I always wanted us back in the EFL there’s some great clubs in semi pro and lots who worked hard to make us welcome when we visited.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 2, 2020, 8:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings
Just been confirmed that the National League will be starting on Saturday after they got a 10 million pounds loan, secured over 3 months. Good news.

I disagree. It puts us in a perilous position. Where’s the money for the EFL?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Heisenberg

I disagree. It puts us in a perilous position. Where’s the money for the EFL?

Well, it's good news for the National League. We are not their problem.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 2, 2020, 11:28pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

Well, it's good news for the National League. We are not their problem.

The National League deal keeps our pyramid intact. If they hadn't started we could have ended up with a closed shop like Scotland. Government and the Premier League are obviously disagreeing about who bails league clubs out. Realistically, I suspect they will both contribute to it.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 3, 2020, 7:43am; Reply: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The National League deal keeps our pyramid intact. If they hadn't started we could have ended up with a closed shop like Scotland. Government and the Premier League are obviously disagreeing about who bails league clubs out. Realistically, I suspect they will both contribute to it.

Scotland isn't a closed shop. They have the Highland and Lowland league feeding into the league via a playoff.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 3, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

Scotland isn't a closed shop. They have the Highland and Lowland league feeding into the league via a playoff.

It was a "closed shop" last season thankfully. Otherwise Brechin would have been playing in The Highland League this season. (I assume they would have gone into The Highland League rather than the Lowland)

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/sport/highland-league-disappointed-and-frustrated-in-scottish-league-reconstruction-plans-being-killed-off-199165/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 3, 2020, 5:16pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Croxton

He was there on New Years Day as I almost bumped in to him on the corner of Imperial Avenue when he was being interviewed on TV by Simon Clark / Look North ahead of our game at home to Salford
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:33am