Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 26, 2020, 9:40am
They had 3 positive tests and their game is on.

We’ve now surrendered 2 weeks of training whilst other teams come up with solutions.

Losing Vernam, no pre season and now this all seem to end up being problems we naively create for ourselves. What on earth is going on?
Posted by: denni266, September 26, 2020, 9:46am; Reply: 1
Could be in trouble if we have took things on our own backs..
Posted by: golfer, September 26, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 2
Seems strange to me. Game at Bradford which has a high rate of virus in any case.
Posted by: ska face, September 26, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 3
Sounds to me like someone didn’t really fancy a trip to a decent Cheltenham with a half-fit squad off the back of a 4-0 humping...
Posted by: Croxton, September 26, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 4
Quoted from ska face
Sounds to me like someone didn’t really fancy a trip to a decent Cheltenham with a half-fit squad off the back of a 4-0 humping...

And now face an EFL investigation plus accusations of unprofessional notification from Bradford?
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 26, 2020, 10:10am; Reply: 5
We should all probably wait till we know if there are any differences in the circumstances.

Listening to Phillip Day (who always comes across well) we tried to arrange testing but were advised that would be pointless.

The options open to us are ones given by EFL ie closing training ground. I get the sense it’s the EFL that don’t really know what they are doing and making it up as they’re going along.

To me it seems we’ve acted in good faith in there advise... Very strange why Scunthorpe, ourselves, Orient, Stevenage and The Hull match have all had different outcomes on the face of it.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 26, 2020, 10:22am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mikey_345
We should all probably wait till we know if there are any differences in the circumstances.

Listening to Phillip Day (who always comes across well) we tried to arrange testing but were advised that would be pointless.

The options open to us are ones given by EFL ie closing training ground. I get the sense it’s the EFL that don’t really know what they are doing and making it up as they’re going along.

To me it seems we’ve acted in good faith in there advise... Very strange why Scunthorpe, ourselves, Orient, Stevenage and The Hull match have all had different outcomes on the face of it.

Day comes across very well, yet always seems to come out of things looking absolutely naive.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 26, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 7
Quoted from pontoonlew

Day comes across very well, yet always seems to come out of things looking absolutely naive.

He comes across well because he doesn't speak Fentyisms, but he will be under orders to cut costs to the bone, and is what he says correct?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 26, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 8
How on earth can they play, I thought it was a government requirement for issolation?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 26, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 9
It feels like we took this decision unilaterally. Decided we needed to isolate the squad and couldn't fulfil the fixture. Something doesn't add up.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 26, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
How on earth can they play, I thought it was a government requirement for issolation?

You’d imagine it’s because the contact was more than 5 days ago, thus making a test accurate, which is reasonable.

What that doesn’t cover is how our games against Hull and Bradford are off.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 26, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 11
I haven't listened to PD's interview (anyone got a link?). We got a positive test result on a Friday. I guess that probably wipes out Saturday and Tuesday games just because of the lack of days. Maybe the days worked out better for Stevenage?

Found link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08qr5zb
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 26, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 12
It looks like the chain of events is one player tested positive so they tested everyone yesterday, two more came back positive from the latter test yesterday.

So when does the five days start?
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 26, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 13
This club lol
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 26, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 14
I’m guessing Stevenage can afford multiple testing with all that Burger King money.
Posted by: davmariner, September 26, 2020, 10:55am; Reply: 15
We aren’t playing because of the incubation period. To get an accurate idea of if other players have contracted it from the player that tested positive, you need to wait a certain number of days before doing the test. Hence no game. No idea how or why Stevenage are playing. But they shouldn’t be according to the letter of the law.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 26, 2020, 11:04am; Reply: 16
Is the incubation period 5 days? I had an op 11 days ago and was tested 3 days before I went in DPOW.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 26, 2020, 11:17am; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

Philip Day comes on 9:30 minutes in if it's any help.

Posted by: Bigdog, September 26, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
It feels like we took this decision unilaterally. Decided we needed to isolate the squad and couldn't fulfil the fixture. Something doesn't add up.

££££££
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), September 26, 2020, 12:10pm; Reply: 19
I think we’ll end up losing the points for the Cheltenham game and potentially the Bradford one.

Fenty has chosen his time quite well to take up a seat in the background whilst Philip Day takes all the flack!! I don’t doubt for one minute that this all centres around his decisions.

I am really concerned as I genuinely think the Club is on its arris!!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 20
Well Day is clear in his view that he has sought and followed EFL guidance all the way regards the decision to isolate / postpone..........why does that still make me nervous ?  :o

Intersting to hear that he is also quite adamant that League's 1 & 2 shouldnt have started without crowds and that he cannot see it being completed. Weekly testing would help manage the control, spread and isolation avoid postponements but at £5k a week clubs cant afford that without crowds.

My view is that any EFL/Premier League bail out package should now be negotiated to include testing costs for each club to be included as well as the loss of income to allow the season to either be completed behind closed doors with players fully tested or .....just scrap it completely which i cant see happening given the relegation and promtion issues up and down the leagues and what happens to contracts of the players ??

Proper fck up all over.
Posted by: golfer, September 26, 2020, 2:21pm; Reply: 21
Seeing that Boris now wears our kit surely it's worth a try to get him to be a shareholder and use his influence to get a grant towards a new stadium. " We are the only team to follow your advice Boris "
Posted by: lee65, September 26, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 22
Have listened to PD on Humberside just now, and he said EFL gave conflicting information, first saying 10 days isolation needed (so we could’ve played next Saturday and only missed one game), but then they changed to 14 days.  We are looking to seek clarification on Monday.
Posted by: lee65, September 26, 2020, 2:37pm; Reply: 23
Also interesting this Hull v West Ham spat

I may have got this wrong, but I believe West Ham offered to pay for testing of Hull players but Grant McCann refused saying they all felt healthy (idiotic stance if true in my opinion)

Apparently Karen Brady now getting involved in the media, questioning why they didn’t take up the offer.

Were they worried about what testing might show?
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 26, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 24
Not be surprised at all that any information/ guidance from he EFL would be confusing, contradictory or just basically wrong, I don’t think they know what there doing, especially for cup games when a premiership club or Sky are involved.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 26, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from lee65
Also interesting this Hull v West Ham spat

I may have got this wrong, but I believe West Ham offered to pay for testing of Hull players but Grant McCann refused saying they all felt healthy (idiotic stance if true in my opinion)

Apparently Karen Brady now getting involved in the media, questioning why they didn’t take up the offer.

Were they worried about what testing might show?

That'd be an interesting spat if Karren Brady & Ehab Allam had a set to...... can't abide either of them so hope they'd both lose out on points!   ;)
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 26, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 26
“We are aware of a number of questions from fans regarding the confusion arising from the decision for the Bradford v Stevenage game today to go ahead despite three Stevenage players testing positive for Covid compared to the decision to postpone our game at Cheltenham today because of one positive test.

As stated yesterday, the decision to postpone is at the club's discretion and given the medical advice received, we remain satisfied that we made the correct decision.

It would not be appropriate for us to comment on the Stevenage decision, they know the background and circumstances involved and have also had medical advice.

On Monday, we will be seeking clarification on the key differences and we will update fans accordingly.“

So as expected, the ball was actually in our court and yet again we’ve managed to make a pigs ear of it.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 26, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew
“We are aware of a number of questions from fans regarding the confusion arising from the decision for the Bradford v Stevenage game today to go ahead despite three Stevenage players testing positive for Covid compared to the decision to postpone our game at Cheltenham today because of one positive test.

As stated yesterday, the decision to postpone is at the club's discretion and given the medical advice received, we remain satisfied that we made the correct decision.

It would not be appropriate for us to comment on the Stevenage decision, they know the background and circumstances involved and have also had medical advice.

On Monday, we will be seeking clarification on the key differences and we will update fans accordingly.“

So as expected, the ball was actually in our court and yet again we’ve managed to make a pigs ear of it.

Or the others have made a pigs ear of it allowing their games to go ahead? Two ways of looking at it, but what's clear is that the EFL have no clear guidelines, and have basically said " you decide".

Seems we have put the health of the players and their families first and foremost. Will wait and see what transpires on Monday...
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 26, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

Or the others have made a pigs ear of it allowing their games to go ahead? Two ways of looking at it, but what's clear is that the EFL have no clear guidelines, and have basically said " you decide".

Seems we have put the health of the players and their families first and foremost. Will wait and see what transpires on Monday...

As already mentioned, we’ve just blindly followed the advice without seemingly using our own heads at all. Exactly as what happened with Vernam.

The EFL are absolutely useless, so why do we keep taking their advice (and that’s all it is, advice) as gospel? Makes us just as useless as they are IMO
Posted by: Sigone, September 26, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 29
Just said on sky that Plymouth have had 2 positive cases as well, yet are playing.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 26, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from pontoonlew

As already mentioned, we’ve just blindly followed the advice without seemingly using our own heads at all. Exactly as what happened with Vernam.

The EFL are absolutely useless, so why do we keep taking their advice (and that’s all it is, advice) as gospel? Makes us just as useless as they are IMO

But the EFL have clearly not given any definitive advice. They have more or less left it to each club and each club has decided on a different outcome.

There is no consistency, or clear rules. To my mind, peoples health comes first and I think the season should have been scrapped altogether until it was safe to start, but that's just me, others will think differently.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 26, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from pontoonlew

Surely if we have followed the EFL advice at least we can't be punished.

Posted by: sapper mariner, September 26, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 32
its also worth noting that Leyton orient could be fined for breaching covid protocols. Its seems as if we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't
Posted by: Sammo, September 26, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 33
If we have followed EFL advice then surely we cannot punished. Surely without testing we hdve followed the correct procedure with regards to isolating and chose not to put others at risk.

The EFL are an utter joke organisation and can only see this situation being more chaotic.  

Scrap the season now, two games in no harm, no arguments regarding promotion and relegation.
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 26, 2020, 3:55pm; Reply: 34
Not sure why you’ve such a hostile view to the club over this decision. Surely it was a common sense decision. I’d certainly be questioning it more if we had played today. And if we had, and Cheltenham players caught Covid, can you imagine the backlash.

As others have said, this season is already a farce and needs to be cut short.
Posted by: lee65, September 26, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner93er
Not sure why you’ve such a hostile view to the club over this decision. Surely it was a common sense decision. I’d certainly be questioning it more if we had played today. And if we had, and Cheltenham players caught Covid, can you imagine the backlash.

As others have said, this season is already a farce and needs to be cut short.

No to be fair, can’t see as the club have done a lot wrong given the current situation
As with much of the COVID situation, total lack of clarity from governing bodies,

For EFL and football starting, read Government with schools and Uni’s going back, no consistent guidance in place for what to do when the obvious likely outcome happens  :(
Posted by: Bigdog, September 26, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 36
Like the rest of the country, football and GTFC have to get on with the season. It was never going to be perfect, but with a financial package on the way, we're going to have to make the best of it. There's no assurance Covid is going to go away anytime in the near future and there could be bigger dangers for clubs going into extended hibernation, especially Leagues One, Two and below.

I'm a bit ashamed to read that most of our fanbase on here want the season ending. Just as bad as one or two Premier League clubs trying to cancel relegation in the summer, and most probably influenced by a poor transfer window, ins and outs, and an horrific start to the season. Opinions wouldn't be the same if we'd kept the best players out of last season's squad and we'd have beaten Walsall away and smashed Salford at home 4-0. The pedantic attitude of the club has rubbed off on the fans and GTFC as a whole has become as meek as mice..

Stop wittering, take blows on the chin, make the best of circumstances like others have and get on with it FFS. Excuse after excuse, self pity ad nauseum..
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 37
It maybe that we actually help on having some clear guidance or additional assistance given ,  

looking inwardly it looks like we have maybe done the bare minimum to avoid playing when we have had a sh1t start, full of injuries, suspension and bemoaning fitness....
looking outwardly we have followed the EFL guidance...

With so many various decisions by individual clubs/ chairman already surely the EFL will have to now issue a rigid guidance so all clubs know where they stand and what to do.

Posted by: Bigdog, September 26, 2020, 4:54pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club
It maybe that we actually help on having some clear guidance or additional assistance given ,  

looking inwardly it looks like we have maybe done the bare minimum to avoid playing when we have had a sh1t start, full of injuries, suspension and bemoaning fitness....
looking outwardly we have followed the EFL guidance...

With so many various decisions by individual clubs/ chairman already surely the EFL will have to now issue a rigid guidance so all clubs know where they stand and what to do.

You can bet your bottom dollar that GTFC have met the minimum requirements re Covid, ie the cheapest. And as yet we have only seen or heard the club's interpretation of the EFL's guidance.. just like the Vernam situation. I have the same low level of trust in GTFC as I have for the EFL, which is a crying shame having committed my allegiance for a lifetime..
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Bigdog

You can bet your bottom dollar that GTFC have met the minimum requirements re Covid, ie the cheapest. And as yet we have only seen or heard the club's interpretation of the EFL's guidance.. just like the Vernam situation. I have the same low level of trust in GTFC as I have for the EFL, which is a crying shame having committed my allegiance for a lifetime..

We probably have....but if we have met the minimum requirements then we are still compliant, understandable from a business position especially from a man/board who has no money or desire to finance the club themselves.
If it comes to light that we have not followed guidance and are penalised in anyway then we know who to hold accountable.  
Posted by: scrumble, September 26, 2020, 5:16pm; Reply: 40
"Guidance" and advice is a lovely get out for the FA and EFL. What we should have had is rules "if a player tests positive then that quarantines for x number of days" but they don't want the responsibility. Instead they pass the buck and leave it for clubs to interpret and ignore
Posted by: pen penfras, September 26, 2020, 5:26pm; Reply: 41
If this season was to start, the bare minimum that was needed was a protocol on what happens when a player tests positive. Right now we seem to have the clubs calling the shots and seemingly threats of punishment for following the governments advice. Leyton Orient had 5 players with it, now 17 have. How on earth clubs can play whilst saying the affected players are isolated and the rest of the squad are ok when it spreads so easily and has up to 10 day incubation period is beyond me.

That also brings up the question of how a 14 day isolation period after being in contact with somebody is enough. 10 days incubation period, then you're symptomless so carry on as normal after 14 days and spread it around. Particularly at a football club where the players are all young and healthy individuals. I bet if every football player was tested, we'd have cases almost everywhere.
Posted by: Meza, September 26, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 42
What are the rules for when a player gets covid and a fixture is postponed?  Have the EFL explained if there will be a fine \ points deduction even if a player test positive for covid.  Sounds like the EFL want to keep the covid hush hush from reading other statements and posts online, and i bet if Town did pay for the tests the EFL would have allowed the game to go ahead even if they were advised not to bother.  I certainly hope they have this in writing.

I fear a points deduction.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 26, 2020, 5:34pm; Reply: 43
The EFL have released a 142 page document of guidelines on covid "stage 3 guidance", whatever that means. Along with 4 other 40+ page doucments.

page 6 of that lists the medical requirements as being up to the team to decide. How on earth does it make sense that every team in the country should do the same bit of work with a medical team, and they will all come up with different answers.

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/image/201920/covid-19-documents/updated-stage-three--guidance--socially-distanced-21.08.20-full-version.pdf

Quoted Text

MEDICAL PLAN
A full medical plan will need to be produced that includes all aspects relating to Covid-19. Advice
and guidance in this respect should be sought from the relevant medical authorities including the
Clubs own medical team. It is likely that there will be a number of new processes to consider. As a
minimum, these should include the following:
 process for self-reporting/self-declaration (questionnaire example, see Annex 2)
 consideration of temperature check on entering the stadium / multiple entry / testing
points at the discretion of the Club
 process for staff displaying symptoms / provision of isolation room
 self-isolation policy
 hygiene policies and procedures
 minimum medical staff required (both on pitch and off pitch)
 equipment required on site including first aid facilities / ambulances where required
under the Regulations etc.
 processes for social distancing throughout stadium
 PPE requirements including donning and doffing areas and safe disposal of used PPE
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, September 26, 2020, 7:36pm; Reply: 44
I don't post here often but for those not on twitter I thought I'd share this here too;

Hopefully to try and make things a bit clearer for anyone confused here's an explanation of the situation with the testing, why it's was right for us not to have played today, why the Stevenage v Bradford game was a huge risk and what the EFL should've already had in place incase of, or even better to try and avoid this exact situation.

Our first identified case was 4 days ago. Covid 19 has what's called an incubation period. This means somebody who has caught the virus can be infected but not show any symptoms, there is a chance that if somebody is tested during this incubation period they will return a negative test - it's also important to note that during this time a person who has the virus is still able to pass it on to others despite not showing any symptoms and receiving a negative test result. This means that if we'd have tested our whole team now as we originally suggested, there's a chance any further cases could've actually returned a negative test result while still being infectious. That is the reason it's right that we didn't play, the most important thing is protecting ourselves as far as possible and of course to avoid putting Cheltenham at risk which we now have done.

There is absolutely no way the Stevenage v Bradford game should've gone ahead today, I don't care what the EFL or their advisors say, medically it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been played.

Stevenage are in almost an identical situation, except their players and staff last had contact with the initial infected player only 2 days ago. They tested the rest of their squad yesterday which identified a further two cases. The problem is the incubation period means there's a reasonable chance they do actually have even more cases within their squad that weren't identified on tests (again because of the incubation period). This made it a huge risk for the Stevenage v Bradford game to have gone ahead today... not only are their health concerns which is the main thing but if anything was passed on to Bradford that'd cause even more disruption, especially if they now play and pass it on to another club - it could easily become a domino effect through the league.

The issue is for me, there doesn't (or at least we aren't aware of) any clear guidance from the FA/EFL that sets out exactly what should happen of a club has a positive case. The season should never have been allowed to start without this in place (nor without consideration for the financial burden on clubs who's only income is from fans but that's a whole different saga).

Further to this, (not that it matters what I think but I'm going speak my mind anyway)

The EFL and FA have to set out clear RULES (not guidance) on what needs to happen if a club identifies a potential case of COVID-19.

1) From the moment the first player or staff member develops symptoms the club should isolate. The initial symptomatic player should be tested immediately, if that test is negative everyone else can return to normal.

2) If that case is positive, the rest of the club should enter a mandatory self isolation period of 6 days, with everyone tested on the 7th. Any matches scheduled during this time should be postponed.

3) Anybody who receives a negative test result from these tests should be able to return to training. Anybody who tests positive should enter a 10 day period of isolation from the date of the test, or onset of symptoms - whichever was first.

4) At the end of the 10 day isolation period, those people can return to training. UNLESS they still have a fever, in which case they just remain isolated until their temperature has returned to normal.

5) Players and staff should have their temperature taken by club medical staff in level 2 PPE before training and on match days before they come into contact with another player or staff member to reduce the risk of infection.

6) Clubs should not be penalised for failing to fulfil fixtures if they are unable to play due to a COVID outbreak.

7) A clear threshold should be set, where if so many clubs report cases within a similar time period the league should be temporarily suspended for 14 days, with review. Clubs can train during this time if they have no cases.

Ideally we'd have regular testing on top of these measures but it doesn't look like that will happen at our level. I realise this is less than ideal but small disruptions to individual clubs could be the only way to avoid a domino effect of disruption through entire league, possibly several leagues which would be even more catastrophic for clubs already on the edge. I think there should be questions as to why the league was started anyway but if we are going to press ahead then clear and exact rules have to be set by those in charge.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 26, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
I don't post here often but for those not on twitter I thought I'd share this here too;

Hopefully to try and make things a bit clearer for anyone confused here's an explanation of the situation with the testing, why it's was right for us not to have played today, why the Stevenage v Bradford game was a huge risk and what the EFL should've already had in place incase of, or even better to try and avoid this exact situation.

Our first identified case was 4 days ago. Covid 19 has what's called an incubation period. This means somebody who has caught the virus can be infected but not show any symptoms, there is a chance that if somebody is tested during this incubation period they will return a negative test - it's also important to note that during this time a person who has the virus is still able to pass it on to others despite not showing any symptoms and receiving a negative test result. This means that if we'd have tested our whole team now as we originally suggested, there's a chance any further cases could've actually returned a negative test result while still being infectious. That is the reason it's right that we didn't play, the most important thing is protecting ourselves as far as possible and of course to avoid putting Cheltenham at risk which we now have done.

There is absolutely no way the Stevenage v Bradford game should've gone ahead today, I don't care what the EFL or their advisors say, medically it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been played.

Stevenage are in almost an identical situation, except their players and staff last had contact with the initial infected player only 2 days ago. They tested the rest of their squad yesterday which identified a further two cases. The problem is the incubation period means there's a reasonable chance they do actually have even more cases within their squad that weren't identified on tests (again because of the incubation period). This made it a huge risk for the Stevenage v Bradford game to have gone ahead today... not only are their health concerns which is the main thing but if anything was passed on to Bradford that'd cause even more disruption, especially if they now play and pass it on to another club - it could easily become a domino effect through the league.

The issue is for me, there doesn't (or at least we aren't aware of) any clear guidance from the FA/EFL that sets out exactly what should happen of a club has a positive case. The season should never have been allowed to start without this in place (nor without consideration for the financial burden on clubs who's only income is from fans but that's a whole different saga).

Further to this, (not that it matters what I think but I'm going speak my mind anyway)

The @EFL and @FA have to set out clear RULES (not guidance) on what needs to happen if a club identifies a potential case of COVID-19.

1) From the moment the first player or staff member develops symptoms the club should isolate. The initial symptomatic player should be tested immediately, if that test is negative everyone else can return to normal.

2) If that case is positive, the rest of the club should enter a mandatory self isolation period of 6 days, with everyone tested on the 7th. Any matches scheduled during this time should be postponed.

3) Anybody who receives a negative test result from these tests should be able to return to training. Anybody who tests positive should enter a 10 day period of isolation from the date of the test, or onset of symptoms - whichever was first.

4) At the end of the 10 day isolation period, those people can return to training. UNLESS they still have a fever, in which case they just remain isolated until their temperature has returned to normal.

5) Players and staff should have their temperature taken by club medical staff in level 2 PPE before training and on match days before they come into contact with another player or staff member to reduce the risk of infection.

6) Clubs should not be penalised for failing to fulfil fixtures if they are unable to play due to a COVID outbreak.

7) A clear threshold should be set, where if so many clubs report cases within a similar time period the league should be temporarily suspended for 14 days, with review. Clubs can train during this time if they have no cases.

Ideally we'd have regular testing on top of these measures but it doesn't look like that will happen at our level. I realise this is less than ideal but small disruptions to individual clubs could be the only way to avoid a domino effect of disruption through entire league, possibly several leagues which would be even more catastrophic for clubs already on the edge. I think there should be questions as to why the league was started anyway but if we are going to press ahead then clear and exact rules have to be set by those in charge.

Brilliant, should replace the EFL's 142-page document which obviously nobody will have read!
Posted by: norfuk mariner, September 26, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 46
Be ironic if GTFC v Bradford is called off because Bantam players have contracted Covid ??
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 26, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Be ironic if GTFC v Bradford is called off because Bantam players have contracted Covid ??

Bradford will soon be moaning that they have positives. I bet they get a positive before next weekend after today. If the EFL make us go ahead with Bradford next weekend and they subsequently get a positive test result before the weekend, I hope we stand up for ourselves.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Bradford moaning that they have positives. I bet they get a positive before next weekend after today. If the EFL make us go ahead with Bradford next weekend and they subsequently get a positive test result before the weekend, I hope we stand up for ourselves.

Eh ??(Confused)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 27, 2020, 12:05am; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

Which given the club is the players’ employer may be the sensible thing to do. It’s machine the outcry if we’d gone ahead, played games and had an outbreak and then got sued for knowingly endangering employees health.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 27, 2020, 12:11am; Reply: 50
Hopefully this is where we’ll see Day’s experience as a lawyer come good, and he got all his ducks in a row (and had it all documented).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 27, 2020, 12:12am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Bigdog
Like the rest of the country, football and GTFC have to get on with the season. It was never going to be perfect, but with a financial package on the way, we're going to have to make the best of it. There's no assurance Covid is going to go away anytime in the near future and there could be bigger dangers for clubs going into extended hibernation, especially Leagues One, Two and below.

I'm a bit ashamed to read that most of our fanbase on here want the season ending. Just as bad as one or two Premier League clubs trying to cancel relegation in the summer, and most probably influenced by a poor transfer window, ins and outs, and an horrific start to the season. Opinions wouldn't be the same if we'd kept the best players out of last season's squad and we'd have beaten Walsall away and smashed Salford at home 4-0. The pedantic attitude of the club has rubbed off on the fans and GTFC as a whole has become as meek as mice..

Stop wittering, take blows on the chin, make the best of circumstances like others have and get on with it FFS. Excuse after excuse, self pity ad nauseum..

What financial package?!
Posted by: aldi_01, September 27, 2020, 8:26am; Reply: 52
If we’d managed to assemble a decent squad and had started well and won every game would people be so quick to want to curtail the season?

We’ve sat around waiting for a bailout which isn’t a definite, we started back late so we’re playing catch up, spent 16 weeks pleading poverty and now we’re miles off the pace when we actually play.

The club must take some responsibility as much as the EFL. It’s clearly just being made up as we go along and nobody seems to have a flipping clue what to do; art imitating life once again (our football is less artistic than previous though).
Posted by: Bigdog, September 27, 2020, 8:38am; Reply: 53
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What financial package?!

There will be one to cover gate receipts by Xmas. Too much of an uproar otherwise..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 27, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 54
Quoted from moosey_club

Eh ??(Confused)

Typed it in a rush. It should have read Bradford will soon be.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 27, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 55
Quoted from aldi_01
, spent 16 weeks pleading poverty

We might be very grateful for our spending policy before this lot is over

Posted by: Bigdog, September 28, 2020, 12:19am; Reply: 56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08smn7x
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2020, 3:20am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Bigdog

Bradford City director of communications Ryan Sparks speaks ahead of Stevenage fixture.

He makes a damning assessment of the way Mr Day and GTFC have gone about announcing that next Saturday's game was not going to be played.

If true that it was announced to Radio Humberside before anyone spoke to Bradford City then that is a terrible lack of manners.

Mr Day should clarify the situation.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 58
So we did make a unilateral decision then. Makes us look like amateurs.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 28, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

Bradford City director of communications Ryan Sparks speaks ahead of Stevenage fixture.

He makes a damning assessment of the way Mr Day and GTFC have gone about announcing that next Saturday's game was not going to be played.

If true that it was announced to Radio Humberside before anyone spoke to Bradford City then that is a terrible lack of manners.

He just sounds like a moaning yorkie to me.

- The rules on covid are very clear.
- They may have been interpreted differently by different clubs (how on earth it is clear if it can be interpreted differently).
- Grimsby game should go ahead
- Stevenage game shouldn't have gone ahead
- Grimsby shouldn't be locking down their training ground
- Why have EFL said Grimsby should lock down training ground

Almost everything he says contradicts something he said less than a minute earlier.

The only point he's got that is valid is that not being officially informed by either club is bad etiquette. In our case, we seemingly don't know whether or not we're allowed to play.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 28, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 60
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's simple.isnt it, it was called off fri pm and he gave his opinion in a radio interview within an hour or.two, saying via the efl guidance he expected a couple of other games to be called off.

You would think there are bigger current issues  for all efl chair and directors......

Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 61
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

It's simple.isnt it, it was called off fri pm and he gave his opinion in a radio interview within an hour or.two, saying via the efl guidance he expected a couple of other games to be called off.

You would think there are bigger current issues  for all efl chair and directors......

So he didn't have time for a quick call to Bradford before going on air.

Are you for real or never been involved in a commercial business?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 28, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 62
It never said anything about the Bradford game being off in the official GTFC statement. PD said in the interview that the other games might get called off.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 28, 2020, 12:25pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from aldi_01
If we’d managed to assemble a decent squad and had started well and won every game would people be so quick to want to curtail the season?

We’ve sat around waiting for a bailout which isn’t a definite, we started back late so we’re playing catch up, spent 16 weeks pleading poverty and now we’re miles off the pace when we actually play.

The club must take some responsibility as much as the EFL. It’s clearly just being made up as we go along and nobody seems to have a flipping clue what to do; art imitating life once again (our football is less artistic than previous though).

In defence of the club, they have taken a very responsible approach here.  There was a threat in-house, i.e the virus and we've done what we can to mitigate the spread of that risk.

The EFL are an absolute shower, I don't think it's an easy task but their lack of clarity across the board (and governance) is appalling.  The situation here and with the league cup farce just highlights that they don't know what they're doing.  Town were in a completely unenviable position here but I think they did the right thing in calling the game off.  

What I think is becoming a concern is that Day seems a bit too fond of giving interviews out to Radio Humberside.  I'm all for transparency and I welcome this open approach that he's quite keen to have.  But it feels like the local radio station are getting the scoop on everything, even before our own in-house media outlets are reporting anything.  It feels messy and is already leading to confusion.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:03pm