Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, September 23, 2020, 8:12pm
https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/sgm-names-of-potential-investors-released-following-vote

Mad
Posted by: Poojah, September 23, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 1
Yep, didn’t see that coming. Still, it’s been that kinda year, hasn’t it?
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 23, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 2
Good job they weren't ever interested in investing at BP, eh?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 23, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jock dock tower
Good job they weren't ever interested in investing at BP, eh?

Do you really think 2 massive names in the film industry would have proof of funds?
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 23, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 4
Knowing town we will get Kerry catona and Katie price
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 23, 2020, 8:41pm; Reply: 5
Going the same way as Pompey and Notts County. Fools.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, September 23, 2020, 9:01pm; Reply: 6
Yep, these guys will only be in it for what they can get out of it  - Wrexham beware guys.
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 23, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 7
Mac wants to take over Wrexham- the world really has gone mad!
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 23, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 8

I feel for proper clubs like Wrexham, stuck in the National League for what seems like forever now while these tinpot clubs with rich owners seem to be cropping up all over the place moving up the pyramid.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 23, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

I feel for proper clubs like Wrexham, stuck in the National League for what seems like forever now while these tinpot clubs with rich owners seem to be cropping up all over the place moving up the pyramid.

It’s a reflection of the fact wealth is concentrated in fewer hands in society generally.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 23, 2020, 9:40pm; Reply: 10
Wrexham have been stuck in the non league abyss with a well meaning but skint fan ownership model for years.

If I was a Wrexham fan I would be 100% behind giving this a go. It’s nice to be excited. I think. It’s been a while.
Posted by: ska face, September 23, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Yep, these guys will only be in it for what they can get out of it  - Wrexham beware guys.

And what do you think a multi-millionaire, A-list Hollywood actor can get out of owning a welsh conference football club with no assets?
Posted by: psgmariner, September 24, 2020, 7:27am; Reply: 12
Meet Shaun Pearson?
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 24, 2020, 7:31am; Reply: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

I believe that Wrexham are the longest serving team in the national league and have been for a number of years.

They’ve had some good teams down there too. Can’t help for feeling for the fans somewhat - proper club
Posted by: pen penfras, September 24, 2020, 8:08am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face

And what do you think a multi-millionaire, A-list Hollywood actor can get out of owning a welsh conference football club with no assets?

Publicity. Unless he has some ties to Wrexham or Wales, why else would he do it. I don't see how it's necessarily a bad thing for them, the article says investing, not buying the club. Probably a small amount of money, go to a couple of games, get some publicity for both parties and that's about it.

He's also invested in a couple of businesses and been on the American version of Dragon's den. I think he's involved with a liquor company that is about to be sold for mega money.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 24, 2020, 8:16am; Reply: 15
Quoted from pen penfras

. Probably a small amount of money, get some publicity for both parties and that's about it.

Bit like Holloway really

Posted by: pen penfras, September 24, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Ipswin

Bit like Holloway really

Except Holloway is a football man, Ryan Reynolds isn't. Holloway wants a project to build something and leave a legacy. Yes, he clearly likes publicity, but that's a good thing for us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 24, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 17
Tyre kickers.
Posted by: Poojah, September 24, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 18
Quoted from pen penfras

Except Holloway is a football man, Ryan Reynolds isn't. Holloway wants a project to build something and leave a legacy. Yes, he clearly likes publicity, but that's a good thing for us.

I would add to this, that Holloway has also invested significant amounts of his own time and energy, which is much more involved than investing cash when you have dispensable reserves.

On a related note, I came across this just now, about Stevenage's marketing partnership with Burger King. Interesting marketing technique, but hugely patronising:

https://twitter.com/GoodMarketingHQ/status/1308398851192164354
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 24, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 19
Putting £2m in apparently
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 24, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from psgmariner
Wrexham have been stuck in the non league abyss with a well meaning but skint fan ownership model for years.

If I was a Wrexham fan I would be 100% behind giving this a go. It’s nice to be excited. I think. It’s been a while.

And excitement is all that eh?!

Woooooh! There you go. Excitement. It’s over now and I’ve sold my club. Oh wait in an ego trip they’ve splashed the cash, it’s all gone wrong and we’re massively in debt. Let’s have a crowd funder so the fans can take over and run it properly. Until the next tart flashes her knickers at us.
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 24, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ska face

A tax rebate.

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:42pm