Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 17, 2020, 2:59pm
But IH confirms we were in discussion with him whilst stating it won't now happen. Clearly still wants a striker.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 17, 2020, 3:00pm; Reply: 1
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/grimsby-transfer-talks-omar-bogle-4525198.amp?__twitter_impression=true
Posted by: Davec, September 17, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 2
And there was some people on facebook and Twitter clinging onto the fact Bogle will never turn us down...
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 3
Surprised what he said about Loft. Seems scunny got him before we did rather than he wasn’t good enough.

To be honest, I think most had figured this out and I’m just naive.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 4

Shame we couldn't do the same as Dundee did with Charlie Adam and find some club sponsors willing to put money in to make the deal possible.
Posted by: Poojah, September 17, 2020, 4:07pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Shame we couldn't do the same as Dundee did with Charlie Adam and find some club sponsors willing to put money in to make the deal possible.

Operation Bogle? Which was, of course, essentially what Operation Promotion turned out to be.

In principle I'd have been happy to find a few quid from behind the sofa to help bring Omar back in a similar fashion, however I think any initiative that seeks to recruit a player substantially outside of the club's core wage structure is going to have its issues, particularly at a time when players are having to agree significantly reduced contracts.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 17, 2020, 4:26pm; Reply: 6
Who’s the other we’re after though!?!?
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 17, 2020, 4:56pm; Reply: 7
Imagine if this is the bluff of the century
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 17, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 8
this really is poor communication from Holloway.....one minute he's on his way down and he is not interested, the next minute he is in talks....

just what the intercourse is going on, underprepared players, playing 15 year old kids as opposed to more experienced players...

he needs to start winning, or this is going to end in tears.

Sort it Holloway
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 17, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Boris Johnson
this really is poor communication from Holloway.....one minute he's on his way down and he is not interested, the next minute he is in talks....

just what the intercourse is going on, underprepared players, playing 15 year old kids as opposed to more experienced players...

Sort it Holloway

No wonder he keeps his powder dry when he has hysterical fan's like you.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pontoonlew

Well Holloway was quoted as saying the deal is now highly unlikely, that to me means there's still a chance.

Posted by: Meza, September 17, 2020, 5:33pm; Reply: 11
Hmm interesting i just wish they stop having us on and just say they are joking.

[tweet]1306619676995313666[/tweet]
Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 12
Well pleased with that personally, dont think it would have been a happy/long term viable proposition. Its not as though he could bring in extra on the gate to help finance the deal, would undoubtedly break the wage structure and pee off other signings in the process.

Also not so sure advertising the fact we need goals when he has signed several people who he hasnt even given an opportunity to do so yet, not great for morale. I do wonder if the Hanson injury is worse than we are being told though.

Posted by: pontoonlew, September 17, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club
Well pleased with that personally, dont think it would have been a happy/long term viable proposition. Its not as though he could bring in extra on the gate to help finance the deal, would undoubtedly break the wage structure and pee off other signings in the process.

Also not so sure advertising the fact we need goals when he has signed several people who he hasnt even given an opportunity to do so yet, not great for morale. I do wonder if the Hanson injury is worse than we are being told though.

Several people who were signed to replace fringe players. Alongside an injury prone striker and one who couldn’t hit a barn door last season.

I’m not sure how anyone can look at our centre forwards and be totally comfortable with them, it’s obvious Holloway isn’t for starters.
Posted by: sam gy, September 17, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Sort it Holloway

I mean, we've literally played one league game, but sure
Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from pontoonlew

Several people who were signed to replace fringe players. Alongside an injury prone striker and one who couldn’t hit a barn door last season.

I’m not sure how anyone can look at our centre forwards and be totally comfortable with them, it’s obvious Holloway isn’t for starters.

Not sure i am either in all honesty but i dont think telling young fresh pro's that you have just signed they are basically not up to it is good for their development.....on the other hand maybe it was said to rile them up and fire them up...... i have my own theories on whether or not we will actually see Hanson play at all this season anyway....more to his absence than we know according to my gut feeling.

Posted by: denni266, September 17, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 16
Is this the same injury Hanson had at the end of last season or is it a new one ?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 17, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from moosey_club
dont think it would have been a happy/long term viable proposition. Its not as though he could bring in extra on the gate to help finance the deal, would undoubtedly break the wage structure and pee off other signings in the process.

I agree. Looking at his stats since leaving GTFC on 31st January 2017 he has been very goal-shy. Who knows? Maybe his eye for goal has upped and left.

These figures include League and Cup appearances

3 in 14 for Wigan
3 in 12 for Cardiff
1 in 9 for Peterborough (loan)
1 in 16 for Birmingham (loan)
4 in 14 for Portsmouth (loan)
1 in 12 for Cardiff
1 in 5 for ADO Den Haag

It seems odd to still rate a player who last hit more than 5 goals in a season when he last played for us 4 years ago. He hasnt exactly set the world alight with his performances since leaving us. Who is to say he still has the ability? Its a big ask to want him back AND expect him to perform like he did 4 years ago.

He played more games in 2 seasons for GTFC than he has played in the last 4 years for 6 teams.

Personally, Im probably in the minority who would rather he didnt come back. The truth hurts sadly.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2020, 6:46pm; Reply: 18
Not surprised he's not signing for us and as for Hanson, think we'll be lucky to get a handful of games out of him and although, after watching Holloways pre-match press conference, he seemed happy and jovial in the photo shoot for this year's squad pictures. I'm hoping Gibson shows something up front, looked good against Harrogate and Green, for as much as he works hard and gives 100%, not sure he's the answer to our striker woes
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 17, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 19
I’d say that players need a while in a team before they become efficient or play to their full potential. How many players get written off a couple of months into a loan spell and all of a sudden, it just clicks. Especially for strikers.

I still think we’ll see him back at BP this season playing for us for what it’s worth
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 17, 2020, 7:05pm; Reply: 20
Suggestions earlier seemed to be he was heading to Charlton but the Court of Appeal has just blocked their takeover so who knows.......
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2020, 7:10pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I’d say that players need a while in a team before they become efficient or play to their full potential. How many players get written off a couple of months into a loan spell and all of a sudden, it just clicks. Especially for strikers.

I still think we’ll see him back at BP this season playing for us for what it’s worth

Love your optimism and should Bogle get no other offers then maybe he'll come but I just can't see it, my gut feeling (sadly) is he'll be at Lincoln come 1st October
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, September 17, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 22
Get real chaps no sentiment here - the lad will go to the highest bidder- it won't be us.
Posted by: Garth, September 17, 2020, 7:54pm; Reply: 23
Hell of a player in the conference against mediocre defences, played 80 odd games since and only scored a few goals, has not torn any trees up anywhere.
Would be one hell of a gamble
Posted by: Abdul19, September 17, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Garth
Hell of a player in the conference against mediocre defences,

Was a much better player in League 2 than he was in non league.
Posted by: Scenes on toast, September 17, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 25
14 Goals in 4 years for 6 different clubs, not really prolific. If his name was'nt Bogle we would'nt even be discussing it. Time to move on and find a new Omar.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 17, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Abdul19

Was a much better player in League 2 than he was in non league.

Bang on. Tore them apart in this division.
Posted by: Poojah, September 17, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Heisenberg

Bang on. Tore them apart in this division.

Bang average.

[youtube]-s45mwbwVkM[/youtube]
Posted by: livvo, September 17, 2020, 10:25pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Poojah

Bang average.

[youtube]-s45mwbwVkM[/youtube]

Forgot how good he was then
Posted by: livosnose, September 17, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from livvo

Err what’s with the name pal ? Imitation is construed by some as flattery but not me pal.
Posted by: livosnose, September 17, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from livvo

Err what’s with the name pal ? Imitation is construed by some as flattery but not me.
Posted by: livvo, September 17, 2020, 11:30pm; Reply: 31
Deal with it pal 👍🏽
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2020, 11:44pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Garth
Hell of a player in the conference against mediocre defences, played 80 odd games since and only scored a few goals, has not torn any trees up anywhere.

I thought that was Padraig ‘Flat Track Bully’ Amond
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2020, 11:46pm; Reply: 33
I never thought Bogle was never not coming back.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2020, 11:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from pontoonlew

You’re getting your 70s panel games and quiz shows mixed up.
Posted by: livosnose, September 18, 2020, 2:57am; Reply: 35
Quoted from livvo
Deal with it pal 👍🏽

Look pal make no mistake you may wake up some time soon with a dead parmo in your bed.  :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2020, 6:17am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Garth

For him not us,
Posted by: Ipswin, September 18, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 37
I think there will be a lot of clubs after him but they will be waiting until the last moment hoping to get him as cheaply as possible

Similarly I think Bogle is probably holding out waiting for those seeking his signature to get desperate and start upping the cash as they compete for his signature.

Either way I doubt he is ever going to be as cheap as what we were offering
Posted by: RichMariner, September 18, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 38
If ever there was a striker who thrives off being first name on the team sheet it's Omar.

His goalscoring record since leaving Town is barely worth critiquing. We're at the same level now as when he left, and I have no doubt that given a few games to get himself up and running — presuming Ollie treats him as our first-choice striker — he'd start knocking them in again.

He was in the very literal term prolific in our first season back in the FL. He was on for 30 goals before he left at the end of Jan.

He also scored twice in the play-off final. He clearly loves being the star player and loves a big game.

In amongst all the other highly-paid pros at Championship level, he didn't stand out. He was never anyone's first choice. The guy who signed him at Wigan was out of there before he could get going.

Omar needs to start enjoying football again. He needs a club that will adore him and a manager that will play him week in, week out. If he gets that, he'll start scoring again.

Ultimately it's up to him. I know we get knocked on this board for living in the past and we should stop this obsession with bringing former players back but, you know, just occasionally they're worth the effort.

I'd be very happy to see Omar play for Town again at this level. If crowds could go, he'd bring more in. Ollie understands that. Sad if he doesn't return. If it's not 100% dead I'll retain a chink of hope.
Posted by: Mariner8, September 18, 2020, 12:08pm; Reply: 39
All I'm saying, is Holloway said before that he wasn't interested, wasn't In talks etc... Now has been... Clearly loves throwing smoke up , knows if he says we're close and then it falls through that fans will kick off.

He outright said no interest, but was actually in talks,  so 'its v unlikely' may well not mean so.

Agree that Bogle is v much a confidence player that loves being the centre of a club.

Everyone discounted Holloway coming, but the board got it done, so let's not lay into them just yet.
Posted by: thefish, September 18, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mariner8
All I'm saying, is Holloway said before that he wasn't interested, wasn't In talks etc... Now has been... Clearly loves throwing smoke up , knows if he says we're close and then it falls through that fans will kick off.

He outright said no interest, but was actually in talks,  so 'its v unlikely' may well not mean so.

Agree that Bogle is v much a confidence player that loves being the centre of a club.

Everyone discounted Holloway coming, but the board got it done, so let's not lay into them just yet.

I'm confused- do I get Bogle on my new town top or not?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 41
Despite the doubters at this level he'd be a good addition for any club, but it won't be us as his agent has an obligation to get him the best deal possible, though looking at some of the moves he's has I'm not sure if his agent is all that clever TBH.

I hope that he gets some stability as given a good run of games he'll start scoring for sure, not only for what he did in the short time he was with us but also it looks like he's been treated like a commodity over the last few years and deserves much better.    
Posted by: RichMariner, September 18, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 42
Bogle is 27. If he signs for us and has an explosive year then, at 28, he might get another big move next summer.

Amond was 27 when he decided to drop into non-league and sign for us. While Hartlepool may not have been the sort of club (or level) he was hoping for, being at Town put him in the shop window and I'd argue the move to Town kick-started a career that struggled to get going before then.

I'd be surprised if a Championship club comes in for Bogle now. A League 1 club could take a punt but, given that he hasn't played much football, would they chuck him in as their star striker and play him every week?

I'm totally biased but purely on football terms Bogle needs to play at a level where he excels, find a club that will adore him and bang some goals in. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but it must beat sitting at home, twiddling your thumbs, holding out for a club that may pay you a decent wage but end up sitting on benches or — worse still — fading from the game before you even turn 30.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, September 18, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Despite the doubters at this level he'd be a good addition for any club, but it won't be us as his agent has an obligation to get him the best deal possible, though looking at some of the moves he's has I'm not sure if his agent is all that clever TBH.

I hope that he gets some stability as given a good run of games he'll start scoring for sure, not only for what he did in the short time he was with us but also it looks like he's been treated like a commodity over the last few years and deserves much better.    

I think his agent has been very good to him. Consider the various signing on fees over the last few years and then his wages on top of that. If he’s coming back, he’s coming back a far richer man than when he left. He’s also given Bogle the opportunity to play continuously at a higher level - whether he’s been capable of full filling that is another thing.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 18, 2020, 4:27pm; Reply: 44
With hindsight is Bogle now thinking what might have happened if he had seen that particular season out with us knocking in a few goals, I would believe his options would have been increased as to where he next went, but as said earlier he will have already had a couple of decent sign on fees and weekly wages of a few thousand.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 18, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Gaffer58
With hindsight is Bogle now thinking what might have happened if he had seen that particular season out with us knocking in a few goals, I would believe his options would have been increased as to where he next went, but as said earlier he will have already had a couple of decent sign on fees and weekly wages of a few thousand.

So you mean the club didn’t force the sale through ?? 🤷🏻🤔
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 18, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 46
Ah, I forgot about that, just assumed nowadays the players had all the power regarding transfers as to if and where they went. At least his fee enabled the club to pay off another wedge of the non chairman’s ( at the time) loan.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 18, 2020, 5:57pm; Reply: 47
At 27 he should be in his prime and needs to be playing every week. League 1 or a League 2 club with a bit of wedge would be his level given his (not very impressive) recent history. It could have been us but we don't have the cash - we are relatively well supported for League 2 and because we don't have a wealthy sugar daddy it means we've lost more than others through COVID - 1,700 season ticket holders to start with.
Posted by: livvo, September 18, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from livosnose

Look pal make no mistake you may wake up some time soon with a dead parmo in your bed.  :)

Enough said, I will stop masquerading as you immediately 🤣🤣
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 18, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
.... we've lost more than others through COVID - 1,700 season ticket holders to start with.

We may have lost a good few ST sales BUT who's to say that those who have chosen not to gamble on paying out for a ST haven't bought an iFollow season ticket or pay on a match to match basis. If the club get money from each pass purchased, then possibly the club won't lose out by such a large margin as you are insinuating.
Posted by: Kris2, September 18, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 50

We may have lost a good few ST sales BUT who's to say that those who have chosen not to gamble on paying out for a ST haven't bought an iFollow season ticket or pay on a match to match basis. If the club get money from each pass purchased, then possibly the club won't lose out by such a large margin as you are insinuating.

If anything the fact matches are streaming live might encourage more people than usual to watch matches than would have been at the game. Granted, that revenue is not as high as with ticket prices but there are people who might pay a cheaper price to watch the game at home without having to go all the way to the ground and pay double the cost to watch it live. You also get people who maybe can't make it to every game buying more tickets than usual. It does some to close the margin.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 18, 2020, 10:51pm; Reply: 51

The downside revenue wise with games streamed Live on iFollow is that a group of people can watch the games at someones house for just a tenner.  
Posted by: LH, September 18, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from promotion plaice

The downside revenue wise with games streamed Live on iFollow is that a group of people can watch the games at someones house for just a tenner.  

Should be more revenue this week then as only a max of 6 people can meet rather than 30!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 19, 2020, 1:00am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Kris2

If anything the fact matches are streaming live might encourage more people than usual to watch matches than would have been at the game. Granted, that revenue is not as high as with ticket prices but there are people who might pay a cheaper price to watch the game at home without having to go all the way to the ground and pay double the cost to watch it live. You also get people who maybe can't make it to every game buying more tickets than usual. It does some to close the margin.

Exactly the point I was aiming at. When you consider an average day out to watch a home game could easy amount to £40+ including a ticket (travel to and from BP, a few beers, cup of tea, pie etc), then a tenner to watch at home with a four pack is a much more viable option.
Posted by: Rasen 17, September 19, 2020, 1:15am; Reply: 54
Or consider that as an exile Mariner l can get to every game on I follow instead of 4-6 home matches a season, and a similar number of away matches.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 19, 2020, 7:14am; Reply: 55

I've gone down that route, I'm paying game by game for myself and my lad, just couldn't see crowds exceeding 50% this season therefore all games will be available on ifollow. I've bought 2 tops and will keep ploughing as much cash in varying forms into the club, hoping beyond hope we are back to normal for the 21/22season and I will again buy myself and my son season tickets.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 19, 2020, 8:06am; Reply: 56
I’ve bought my ST as usual, I haven’t done it to feel like I’m putting money in the club, I’ve done it because I just always do it.

In all honesty, I’ll watch ifollow because it’s town but I can’t get get excited about it. Quality isn’t great, it’s not how I want to watch football but it’s the only solution at present. I guess for most fans it’s normal hence why few of been moaning but watching town is about going to the match, and it’s not just about football.

I’ll naturally purchase the away games as I’d be going anyway. In terms of rule of 6, we all know that will go out of the window before it even gets off the ground; that’s where the ifollow thing can be a negative for the club...I know several people who watched last weeks game with a large group, all chipping in a quid rather than all 6/7/8 buying an actual match ticket and heading to BP.

No expense spared though with the voucher codes for iFollow so the club have saved a few pounds there.

Back to the Bogle thing though, I honestly don’t believe he’s sign or is likely to. Could be a lot of bluster from Holloway again, I really just can’t see Bogle pulling on a town shirt again...not this season anyway.
Posted by: smokey111, September 19, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 57
Was wrong on the Bogle signing. Had heard they got pretty close wages wise, so either he is being realistic or Town were pushing the boat out. Imagine it was the first. Would have loved to have seen him back and feel IH would have been good for him. He seems quite a complicated character with, in my opinion, quite fragile confidence  which is easily knocked. Two experienced heads please IH. Think it will be a very up and down season. Certainly won't be putting them in my accumulator every week but the minute they are above 3/1 will back them!!!!! A fool and his money.........
Posted by: Garth, September 19, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 58
Still think its a risk, although I have this feeling that big John with an extra 100 grand of Ollie's money burning a hole in his pocket can afford a couple of grand a week above what he was originally offering him for a season anyway.
What that might do to the rest of the team is anyone's guess
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 19, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Garth
Still think its a risk, although I have this feeling that big John with an extra 100 grand of Ollie's money burning a hole in his pocket can afford a couple of grand a week above what he was originally offering him for a season anyway.
What that might do to the rest of the team is anyone's guess

I suppose what we can offer him will be partly determined (limited) by the £1.5M wage cap whether or not JF was willing to stump up a few extra readies.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 19, 2020, 10:39am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I suppose what we can offer him will be partly determined (limited) by the £1.5M wage cap whether or not JF was willing to stump up a few extra readies.

Possibly, but players already under contract from last season count at "the divisional average", whatever that means, so high earners like Hanson might cost less towards that than they actually cost us.
Posted by: golfer, September 19, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 61
??
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 19, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 62
Do you think the covid clause killed this off?
Posted by: BrMarin, September 19, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Do you think the covid clause killed this off?

Yes 🙂
Posted by: denni266, September 19, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 64
It will cost us more than an odd thou or two if we go down
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 19, 2020, 7:37pm; Reply: 65
Just said on Twitter, we need to pay Hanson off now, he's not going to play much this season, too injury prone and hardly a spring chicken.
As one of the highest earners it would free up some of the salary cap to maybe allow the signing of Bogle..just a thought
Posted by: Poojah, September 19, 2020, 7:45pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Just said on Twitter, we need to pay Hanson off now, he's not going to play much this season, too injury prone and hardly a spring chicken.
As one of the highest earners it would free up some of the salary cap to maybe allow the signing of Bogle..just a thought

You recognise that ‘paying someone off’ requires reaching a mutual agreement, right? Let’s say for example James Hanson has £80k to run on his contract (and I’m plucking that figure out of the air), he’s not going to agree to walk away for significantly less than that. Certainly not in the current environment.

Right now, our best hope for Hanson is to have him fit and in the team.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 19, 2020, 8:02pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Poojah

You recognise that ‘paying someone off’ requires reaching a mutual agreement, right? Let’s say for example James Hanson has £80k to run on his contract (and I’m plucking that figure out of the air), he’s not going to agree to walk away for significantly less than that. Certainly not in the current environment.

Right now, our best hope for Hanson is to have him fit and in the team.

I understand all that poojah but we either pay Hanson off, who I think would jump at the offer as I don't think he wants to be here right now, or accept we've got a very expensive commodity we can't get much use out of. Chances are what his wage would cost us for the remainder of his contract would get us a more reliable striker on a 2-3 year deal. At the moment I believe he's a liability we could do with getting rid of
Posted by: Poojah, September 19, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 68

I understand all that poojah but we either pay Hanson off, who I think would jump at the offer as I don't think he wants to be here right now, or accept we've got a very expensive commodity we can't get much use out of. Chances are what his wage would cost us for the remainder of his contract would get us a more reliable striker on a 2-3 year deal. At the moment I believe he's a liability we could do with getting rid of

I’m not sure you’ve registered what I pointed out there. We don’t ‘save’ what the remainder of his contract is worth, only the difference between that figure and the cost of any golden goodbye agreement we could reach for him not to be here anymore.

First of all, what gives you the impression that he doesn’t want to be here anymore?

Secondly, how much do you think we would have to offer before he ‘jumps at the chance’ to write off some of the value of his contract? Thirdly, where do you imagine we are going to find a ‘more reliable’ striker for the amount we’d stand to save, or less? Keep in mind we already have three totally unproven, recently non-league strikers in our squad.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 8:51pm; Reply: 69

We had a reliable striker but allowed him to leave for a bigger contract with the monkey hangers....... who oddly enough fell into oblivion after p1ssing away loads on players wages.

I can’t see any evidence that Hanson does not want to want be here but there’s plenty of evidence that “reliable strikers“ aren’t that keen.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 19, 2020, 9:23pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure you’ve registered what I pointed out there. We don’t ‘save’ what the remainder of his contract is worth, only the difference between that figure and the cost of any golden goodbye agreement we could reach for him not to be here anymore.

First of all, what gives you the impression that he doesn’t want to be here anymore?

Secondly, how much do you think we would have to offer before he ‘jumps at the chance’ to write off some of the value of his contract? Thirdly, where do you imagine we are going to find a ‘more reliable’ striker for the amount we’d stand to save, or less? Keep in mind we already have three totally unproven, recently non-league strikers in our squad.

This. Someone earlier plucked a figure of £80k out of the air. If you are under contract now, getting another one on similar terms won't be easy so you are going to want as much of your money as possible. If it cost us half of that to get rid, are people really suggesting we could get an adequate replacement for £40k in wages?

Judging by recent interviews, I think we've struggled to attract players. Holloway raves about the big man but people seem to think he wants away on the basis that he's currently injured.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:56am