Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2020, 11:14am
Anyone traveling south down the A1 heading for the M11 part of the new A14  is open a few miles south of the usual Huntingdon turn off and joins up with the old A14 near Cambridge services.

Fine bit of road, once on the older A14 the usual speed restrictions but traffic moving fine.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 11, 2020, 12:18pm; Reply: 1
And anyone that’s gone/going further down the A1, northbound shut and southbound snarled up because of said accident so traffic stationary...
Posted by: toontown, January 11, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 2
Still stuck on A1 hasn't moved in ages. Just hoping I can still get to the game in time :(
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 11, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 3
The ‘new A14’ from the A1 Junction is excellent.  Used to take me 45 minutes to get from Higham Ferrers in Northants to my boat in Fen Stanton, now takes 25 minutes.  Means I get to a place of pleasure much quicker on a Saturday.  Far better than driving to Grimsby for the pleasure of being surrounded by tattooed, pierced, negative, down-trodden, council house dwelling underlings.  Of course, this is just my opinion......
Posted by: Grimal, January 11, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from 139914
The ‘new A14’ from the A1 Junction is excellent.  Used to take me 45 minutes to get from Higham Ferrers in Northants to my boat in Fen Stanton, now takes 25 minutes.  Means I get to a place of pleasure much quicker on a Saturday.  Far better than driving to Grimsby for the pleasure of being surrounded by tattooed, pierced, negative, down-trodden, council house dwelling underlings.  Of course, this is just my opinion......

Can't understand the point of this post but do find it disrespectful to myself and would imagine many other people from Grimsby and there's no need for it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 11, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from 139914

Jesus Christ, with that attitude why bother even associating yourself with Grimsby!!....I live on the Northbank and i am loud n proud about being from Grimsby, amongst all these Yorkshire folk...hang your head in shame...
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 11, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 6
No matter where your from you should never forget and have pride, unless it’s Scunny and I can understand wanting to leave.
Posted by: Poojah, January 11, 2020, 9:47pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Gaffer58
No matter where your from you should never forget and have pride, unless it’s Scunny and I can understand wanting to leave.

I left Grimsby seventeen years ago when I was eighteen. Putting it like that, it feels weird and also slightly sad that I’ve spent almost half my life outside of my home town.

For work and family reasons I’ll probably never move ‘home’, and I acknowledge that the area has its challenges.

But fúck me, am I proud of where I come from. It’s a fundamental part of who I am. It’s a hard town, it’s grim in places, but you grow up here and you learn a certain work ethic. You graft. You make the most of whatever you’re blessed with.

My upbringing has carried me further than any talent I have might have taken me. Further than many people I encounter who are more naturally talented, intelligent or privelaged than me.

I couldn’t make it to Leyton Orient today, and I’m gutted. But there’s little in life more special than being a couple of hundred miles away from home with thousands of your brethren, going fúcking mental! People you don’t necessarily know, but have this natural, innate connection with.

To disown your own town in the way the previous poster did says more about their own insecurities than it does about the place itself. If you don’t support the town, I don’t see how you can support its football team.

I’m Grimsby ‘til I die.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 11, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 8
Actually feeling just more than a little bit angry now. Like Poojah, I've lived away from Meggies for 29 years now, but have never forgotten what it gave me, and how it shaped the person I eventually became. Hang your head in shame, kunt.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 11, 2020, 11:21pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Gaffer58

You see, you've come across as a bit cuntish too.
I'm born Scunthorpe but been supporting Town and battered for it since 1972.
Proud of the town, the steel industry and my 40 year contribution to it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2020, 11:36pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 139914

Have you been living under you f*****g boat for the last 2 weeks?

Things have changed a bit recently or at least it feels that way to most people who associate themselves with GTFC
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 12, 2020, 6:02am; Reply: 11
Quoted from toontown
Still stuck on A1 hasn't moved in ages. Just hoping I can still get to the game in time :(

Did you make the game?
Posted by: grimps, January 12, 2020, 7:52am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Poojah

I left Grimsby seventeen years ago when I was eighteen. Putting it like that, it feels weird and also slightly sad that I’ve spent almost half my life outside of my home town.

For work and family reasons I’ll probably never move ‘home’, and I acknowledge that the area has its challenges.

But fúck me, am I proud of where I come from. It’s a fundamental part of who I am. It’s a hard town, it’s grim in places, but you grow up here and you learn a certain work ethic. You graft. You make the most of whatever you’re blessed with.

My upbringing has carried me further than any talent I have might have taken me. Further than many people I encounter who are more naturally talented, intelligent or privelaged than me.

I couldn’t make it to Leyton Orient today, and I’m gutted. But there’s little in life more special than being a couple of hundred miles away from home with thousands of your brethren, going fúcking mental! People you don’t necessarily know, but have this natural, innate connection with.

To disown your own town in the way the previous poster did says more about their own insecurities than it does about the place itself. If you don’t support the town, I don’t see how you can support its football team.

I’m Grimsby ‘til I die.

I’ve lived away for a few years and I’m always proud of where I come from .
I’ve often found the ones that move away and continue to slag it off was the ones that never fitted in when they was here anyway .
Usually the Bullshiters , odd balls and chancers that Grimsby folk soon suss our
Posted by: Croxton, January 12, 2020, 8:44am; Reply: 13
Quoted from 139914

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3064726,-0.5927874,3a,75y,144.48h,101.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srIin9l7VEBM4JYdsSIogJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No wonder you feel superior if you live in one of these houses Ferrers. Perhaps the one with the blue plaque? I always feel privileged to be rubbing shoulders with folk who have gold edged signposts. Do you slum it down at the local Home Bargains perchance? My favourite shop in Hillsborough.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 12, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 14
Quoted from 139914

sharp object
Posted by: mariner83, January 12, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 15
Quoted from GiveUsAG

Quoted from 139914

Can't understand the point of this post but do find it disrespectful to myself and would imagine many other people from Grimsby and there's no need for it.

I'm not even from Grimsby and I think GyFerrers post is bloody disrespectful.

The truth is you could drive through areas of most towns & cities in England and find people such as those described.  It's not unique to Grimsby.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 12, 2020, 9:16am; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Have you been living under you f*****g boat for the last 2 weeks?

Things have changed a bit recently or at least it feels that way to most people who associate themselves with GTFC

with the possible exception of the 'negative' tag, which has lifted recently, the rest of his description is an extremely accurate one of many who inhabit the town
Posted by: LH, January 12, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 17
What is it about Town fans who live in the East of England on this forum?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 12, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Ipswin

with the possible exception of the 'negative' tag, which has lifted recently, the rest of his description is an extremely accurate one of many who inhabit the town

And pretty much every Town in the UK.,
Posted by: Ipswin, January 12, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 19
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And pretty much every Town in the UK.,

Not where he lives Herts or where he keeps his boat

Posted by: Davec, January 12, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 20
The fact of the matter is that every town/city in the entire world has its issues, they all have council estates, they all have a red light district, they all have scruffy and clean parts they all have drug addicts and homeless, I would like to know which town/city does not?
Posted by: Hagrid, January 12, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Davec
The fact of the matter is that every town/city in the entire world has its issues, they all have council estates, they all have a red light district, they all have scruffy and clean parts they all have drug addicts and homeless, I would like to know which town/city does not?

I went to Zante, i can assure you they have absolutely no clean parts😫😂
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, January 12, 2020, 11:32am; Reply: 22
I’m running out of gas myself to keep saying that I’m incredibly proud of we’re I come from and the history the town has created has been nothing short of incredible.

The thing is when your in London (writing this from st. Pancras station) you see they’re constantly building stuff and progressing, you drive to Meadowhall, there’s always stuff getting built.

In town it’s taken them about a month to take a line up down scartho road. You go to cafe Nero on a Sunday and Victoria street is completely full of smack heads, the OAP’s who probably remember Grimsby in it’s full glory must be terrified of it all.

I live in scartho myself and have to start a mile up the property ladder because it’s too rough where I was brought up, you could never bring a child up there now, though I had an excellent childhood in that area  :) :)

Anyway sorry to bore you all.

All town are we! UTM!
Posted by: golfer, January 12, 2020, 11:32am; Reply: 23
Quoted from 139914

What puncture repair kit do you use if your boat gets deflated
Posted by: Grimal, January 12, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from golfer

What puncture repair kit do you use if your boat gets deflated

Don't give him the opportunity to reply to your post Golfer,he'll only want to brag that it's a 60ft Birchwood Cruiser and not an inflatable and he drives to his mooring in his Bentley and how lucky he is knocking his petrol bill down now the new A14 link road is open. He's obviously had luckier breaks or inherited wealth in his life unlike us less fortunate beings.

Posted by: Gaffer58, January 12, 2020, 12:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GYinScuntland

You see, you've come across as a bit cuntish too.
I'm born Scunthorpe but been supporting Town and battered for it since 1972.
Proud of the town, the steel industry and my 40 year contribution to it.

Very similar myself, never lived in Grimsby/Cleethorpes, basically been Brigg and Bottesford for 60 years, plus also did 40 years on the steel work, it was just a jest comment about leaving scunny.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 12, 2020, 12:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 139914

Are you boasting about your wealth and lifestyle? If so I have to wonder about your upbringing. Actually  I shouldn’t blame your parents: you are presumably a grown up now and responsable for your own lack of class. Not really the done thing to show off. That sort of thing is for nouveaux riches Americans and Russian oligarchs and other tasteless scum.

As for living in a council house, what the f is wrong with that?!
Posted by: toontown, January 12, 2020, 12:14pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you make the game?

Cheers arry. Yes just
Posted by: Rik e B, January 12, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 28
I find it it quite sad when people brag about their wealth, material gain isn't everything and can often leave you sadly lacking in other more meaningful areas. Does your wife truly love you or love your money? Do your kids secretly despise you as you're more interested in your business? Are you spiritually at one with yourself or wrapped up in all your trappings?

To be on message boards boasting of your wealth and your superiority over lowly peasants suggests the chatterbrain ego is overpowering your peaceful inner self and you in fact unconscious to reality.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 12, 2020, 12:20pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from toontown

Cheers arry. Yes just

Well done 👍.

Did you come back that way as there were signs on the M11 that the northern  A1 was still closed.?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 12, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin

Not where he lives Herts or where he keeps his boat

Indeed, clearly he sold his council house for a massive profit.........  
Posted by: Ipswin, January 12, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Indeed, clearly he sold his council house for a massive profit.........  

and bloody good luck to him if he did! Wish I could live where he lives, nice place

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 12, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 32
OP obviously has fishing in his blood as he’s made you all take his bait
Posted by: scarthotownfan, January 12, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 33
Now that Internet shopping has taken over, Grimsby's weakpoint -- town centre -- isn't such a weak point as most Town/City centre's are shutting down.

"Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's high streets gutted by vacancies"
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/01/everythings-leaving-can-sheffields-high-street-survive

I've lived in Chesterfield, visited most towns of 100,000 in the midlands and north, and I'd rate Grimsby/Cleethorpes as better than most. All of them have a good percentage of council estates and run down terraced housing. Grimsby due to the fish industry boom years has a stock of high grade -- People's Park etc -- houses you won't find in the likes of Chesterfield. We only get the criticism because of the name of the town and visitors drive into the town at the most run down part of it.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 12, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

:)

He would seem to be a masterboater.  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 12, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 35
https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/higham-ferrers.html
Posted by: golfer, January 12, 2020, 6:27pm; Reply: 36
I normally find that people who do a lot of bragging about what they have actually have fkall and have an inferiority complex. If you have wealth you don't have to brag or tell people. I have 1/2 million in the bank,own a full street which i rent out,have a different Porche for each day of the week, and when not staying at Chequers will be found on my yacht somewhere off Bahamas - and I don't tell anybody. The gobby bstad
Posted by: Ipswin, January 12, 2020, 6:31pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from golfer
I normally find that people who do a lot of bragging about what they have actually have fkall and have an inferiority complex. If you have wealth you don't have to brag or tell people. I have 1/2 million in the bank,own a full street which i rent out,have a different Porche for each day of the week, and when not staying at Chequers will be found on my yacht somewhere off Bahamas - and I don't tell anybody. The gobby bstad

FFS The bloke's got a boat, so have lots of folk, we don't know how big it is and he used a thread about a new bit of road to say he preferred messing about on it than driving for 2 hours to sit with the great unwashed at BP.

I'm not aware he's claiming to rival Abramovich

Up to him, his choice, and he'll be at Wembley with the rest of us next time we're there

Posted by: Rik e B, January 12, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from scarthotownfan
houses you won't find in the likes of Chesterfield.

I dunno, along the last street as exited Chesterfield for the Peaks on the way to Macc I noticed an area of great affluence with massive houses... Unless that's a village that's been latched on as Chesterfields expanded?
Posted by: toontown, January 12, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well done 👍.

Did you come back that way as there were signs on the M11 that the northern  A1 was still closed.?

Yes it said the roads were back open on the signs but it was stationary traffic as soon as I reached junc 6, it did clear after 15 or 20 mins tho.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 12, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 40
As I said to my butler the other day some people are preoccupied with showing off their wealth.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 12, 2020, 7:28pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

i hope his boat has a canopy to cope with all the chav's p!ss!ng off the bridges  ;D
Posted by: Teesknees, January 12, 2020, 9:17pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from moosey_club

i hope his boat has a canopy to cope with all the chav's p!ss!ng off the bridges  ;D

Or better still.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrOBqn0asug
Posted by: Rik e B, January 12, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 43
[url]https://youtu.be/jOlbOZ9w84I[/url]
Posted by: moosey_club, January 12, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Teesknees

if Carlsberg did karma
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 12, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Which would mean he’s got the maturity of a 13 year old boy.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 13, 2020, 7:44am; Reply: 46
Excellent spot of fishing from the original poster...
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 47
Quoted from aldi_01
Excellent spot of fishing from the original poster...

???
Posted by: aldi_01, January 13, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 48
Quoted from arryarryarry

???

Didn’t mean the original poster...meant the idiot with low self esteem posting nonsense to get some attention...
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 13, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 49
I once lived near Fenstanton (correct spelling). Tedious retirement village. The local town of St Ives remains the unfriendliest place I've ever been.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 50
Quoted from aldi_01

Didn’t mean the original poster...meant the idiot with low self esteem posting nonsense to get some attention...

OK no problem, just wondered if you had something against the trunk road A14 ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 13, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 51
Quoted from marinerdazza
I once lived near Fenstanton (correct spelling). Tedious retirement village. The local town of St Ives remains the unfriendliest place I've ever been.

St.Ives is a lovely place. You can't beat that Cornish fresh air.  ;)
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 13, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Les Brechin

St.Ives is a lovely place. You can't beat that Cornish fresh air.  ;)

Imagine my surprise when I turned up with a surfboard.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:26pm