Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Mendonca1995, November 12, 2019, 2:26pm
Was heading through the BP car park yesterday and noticed a 19 plate Rolls Royce Phantom parked up in the middle, with an unknown bloke being walked to his car with JF holding a few binders. Obviously unsure who the guy was, but with all takeover talk quieting down recently, could this be something different? It definitely wasn’t Mr Shutes! Might be clutching at straws and it’s only a car, but not every day that kind of motor is seen in Grimsby! Wondered if anyone else was at the shop/offices and saw anything/anyone? UTM!
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 12, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 1
Can only hope. There has to be an end to this 20 year nightmare.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 12, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 2
not sure, but if we're getting ring binders delivered by Rolls Royce we may have found an area the club can save some costs.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 12, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 3
Jingye Delegation heading to Scunthorpe just popped by BP to have a cuppa maybe??
Posted by: psgmariner, November 12, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 4
It was me formally submitting my proposal for topless barmaids.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 12, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 5
I saw them . I’m also a professional lip reader . The bloke in the back with the ring binders definitely said to his driver ...”get the fook out of here now!!!”
Posted by: Perkins, November 12, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 6
Probably millionaire Farage casing the joint for Thursday's electioneering stunt at BP.
Strange that he's targeting Grimsby but holding the event in Cleethorpes. Has anyone told him Grimsby ends at Park St?.
Posted by: Maringer, November 12, 2019, 4:15pm; Reply: 7
He's never let facts get in the way in the past.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Maringer
He's never let facts get in the way in the past.

But, miraculously, your preferred candidate is always a paragon of virtue, and would never dream of stating anything, anywhere that wasn't one hundred percent fact-checked, is as straight as a dye, always puts the interest of the public before any ideological beliefs and is kind to animals. ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 9

But, miraculously, your preferred candidate is always a paragon of virtue, and would never dream of stating anything, anywhere that wasn't one hundred percent fact-checked, is as straight as a dye, always puts the interest of the public before any ideological beliefs and is kind to animals. ;D

That is very perceptive of you. Glad you agree.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 12, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
not sure, but if we're getting ring binders delivered by Rolls Royce we may have found an area the club can save some costs.

That's Ring & his binders then.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That is very perceptive of you. Glad you agree.

I think you know I don't, but anyway it is non-football. But surely you have to laugh when someone makes such a daft lop sided comment, when every man and his dog knows politicians of all colours take part in, shall we say, stretching the truth?
Posted by: sisapon, November 12, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 12
Most probably Hanson,s agent.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 12, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 13
Was it Mr Fenty's new roller being delivered, after all he received a good wedge out of last years accounts.
Posted by: Maringer, November 12, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 14
Farage isn't a candidate in any case. For somebody with such strident political views who is leading what ought to be a significant political party, you'd think he'd have another attempt to get into parliament. It seems the bottom-kissing circuit in the US is much more of a draw for him these days.

Wonder why GTFC have agreed to host this event? I get that any income is considered a good thing by many at the club, but it's a pretty divisive decision.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Maringer
Farage isn't a candidate in any case. For somebody with such strident political views who is leading what ought to be a significant political party, you'd think he'd have another attempt to get into parliament. It seems the bottom-kissing circuit in the US is much more of a draw for him these days.

Wonder why GTFC have agreed to host this event? I get that any income is considered a good thing by many at the club, but it's a pretty divisive decision.

Would you think it divisive if the labour party held a meeting at BP? Would that be allowed in your world?
Posted by: Rik e B, November 12, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 16
Considering we 70% leave, not so devisive.

Anyway, was it Robbie Fowler?
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 12, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 17
I want the torys to have a meeting there, one of their Russian donors might buy the club
Posted by: moosey_club, November 12, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 18
As far as i have heard there is another potential investor out there, who has been shown sites and i presume is in preliminary stages. Regards a new ground,  I believe JF is now putting his eggs in a Freeman St basket as Shutes and the rumoured docks site are not going to happen.

No inside info on the above but an accumulation of little bits and bobs i hear.

One thing for sure....its gone very quiet all round. Not a bad thing as the repeated false dawns just become depressing

At one point we had the council leader raising the issue and seemingly trying to move along the process, now that the Tories have control and the council regeneration officer and club major shareholder are one in the same then it looks like a case of a very closed shop.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 19

I think you know I don't, but anyway it is non-football. But surely you have to laugh when someone makes such a daft lop sided comment, when every man and his dog knows politicians of all colours take part in, shall we say, stretching the truth?

I don’t think you have to laugh at what Maringer said. Regardless of how deliberately misleading many politicians of different parties can be, it doesn’t mean they are all the same or that their methods and causes are morally equivalent, or all are as economically or socially as valid as each other.

I tend to think Corbyn is better for the country than Farage or Johnson or others of their ilk. I’d trust him a lot more than either of those two lying girl privates. Tories like them have copulated over places like Grimsby far more than Labour ever has. They’ve been in power for 29 years to Labour’s 18 of the 47 years since we joined the Common Market.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 20

I don’t think you have to laugh at what Maringer said. Regardless of how deliberately misleading many politicians of different parties can be, it doesn’t mean they are all the same or that their methods and causes are morally equivalent, or all are as economically or socially as valid as each other.

I tend to think Corbyn is better for the country than Farage or Johnson or others of their ilk. I’d trust him a lot more than either of those two lying girl privates. Tories like them have copulated over places like Grimsby far more than Labour ever has. They’ve been in power for 29 years to Labour’s 18 of the 47 years since we joined the Common Market.

The fact that they have been in power for 29 years compared to 18 shows that most people do NOT agree with you! Why on earth do you think that your views are correct, and anybody supporting Farage or anybody else should be denied the opportunity to go along to BP as Maringer alluded to?

I guess you also think 17.4 million people were wrong? As I say, it is laughable that some people think only their colour rosette has any credibility.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 21

The fact that they have been in power for 29 years compared to 18 shows that most people do NOT agree with you! Why on earth do you think that your views are correct, and anybody supporting Farage or anybody else should be denied the opportunity to go along to BP as Maringer alluded to?

I guess you also think 17.4 million people were wrong? As I say, it is laughable that some people think only their colour rosette has any credibility.

Yes it does show more people disagree with me than agree. Doesn’t make them right though. And yes I do think 17.4 million people were wrong. It’d be totally illogical to change my view just because more people had a different view. I didn’t make my mind up on the basis of who I thought would win.

As for the Brexit Party event at BP, no one has said ‘only Labour must be allowed to hold an event there’. The original point made by a few people on Twitter and on Cod Almighty was that the Brexit Party shouldn’t be allowed to because they are more divisive than anyone else (apart from parties like the BNP or whatever they’re called these days). Personally I’d rather the club turned down any political group, especially now.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 12, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 22

Yes it does show more people disagree with me than agree. Doesn’t make them right though. And yes I do think 17.4 million people were wrong. It’d be totally illogical to change my view just because more people had a different view. I didn’t make my mind up on the basis of who I thought would win.

As for the Brexit Party event at BP, no one has said ‘only Labour must be allowed to hold an event there’. The original point made by a few people on Twitter and on Cod Almighty was that the Brexit Party shouldn’t be allowed to because they are more divisive than anyone else (apart from parties like the BNP or whatever they’re called these days). Personally I’d rather the club turned down any political group, especially now.

You are obviously entitled to your view that you think the majority are wrong, but why that equates to the club turning down legitimate income from a political meeting during a General Election campaign I have absolutely no idea.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 12, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 23

Corbyn reminds me of a friend at school who was always talking about being kind to animals and then he left school and became a butcher’s apprentice.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 12, 2019, 9:52pm; Reply: 24
Doesn't make you right either Kingston. In my opinion If you think Commie Corbyn would be good for the country you need your head testing!

"Jeremy Corbyn’s fitness for office was questioned today by three former Labour MPs who urged voters to back Boris Johnson instead.

Ian Austin, who worked a special adviser for Gordon Brown and in Downing Street, said that Mr Corbyn was an “extremist” who is “completely unfit” to be prime minister and told The Times that he would be voting for the Conservatives on election day.

“Voting for anybody other than Boris Johnson risks Corbyn getting into No 10 and I think that would be a disaster for Britain,” he said.
"

And I don't see why Brexit Party are at all devisive or should be lumped alongside BNP 🙄 They are no more so than the Liberal (un)democrats and if they were to hold a function at McMenemy's despite loathing their stance I wouldn't begrudge them and would welcome more income for the club.

I don't see their being vast swathes of rent-a-mob (il)liberal extremists foaming at the mouth in BP carpark come Thursday.

Personally, well done to the Club for welcoming people who represent the views of the vast majority of people in the area.
Posted by: denni266, November 12, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 25
I think an income to the club is fine from any political party so long as the club stays nutral
Posted by: denni266, November 12, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 26
Personally i would rather see pink floyd there, Could be a problem getting the crowd of 60 thou in but we live in hope as the football has left us all comfortably numb  ;)
Posted by: denni266, November 12, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 27
Personally i would rather see pink floyd there, Could be a problem getting the crowd of 60 thou in but we live in hope as the football has left us all comfortably numb  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, November 12, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 28
I wouldn't welcome any controversial hate-inciting group - far right or left, but anybody else in the spectrum welcome in my eyes, like I say, even if not views I agree with.

Money in the coffers the bottom line.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 12, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266
I think an income to the club is fine from any political party so long as the club stays nutral

Comedy gold.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 12, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 30
Labour just held an event in executive suite of Blackpool football club... Chance for income, take it. Simples. Typical Remoaner whingeing.
Posted by: mariner91, November 12, 2019, 10:26pm; Reply: 31

Posted by: mimma, November 12, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 32
17.4 million out of 45.6 million people eligible to vote. That means 28.2 million did not vote to leave.

Just a thought!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 12, 2019, 11:19pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mimma
17.4 million out of 45.6 million people eligible to vote. That means 28.2 million did not vote to leave.

Just a thought!

Or 29.6 million did not vote to remain.

Just thought.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 12, 2019, 11:33pm; Reply: 34
Back to the o p

Did he go for the quiz or in fact to see if pints of John smiths we're still £2
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 12:10am; Reply: 35
Quoted from grimsby pete

Or 29.6 million did not vote to remain.

Just thought.

😂😂😂 Like a boss Pete.

Owned.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 12:33am; Reply: 36
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 1:23am; Reply: 37
Posted by: Gibson617, November 13, 2019, 6:02am; Reply: 38
Some brilliant humour on this forum.
However bad things get we always seem to find a bit of nonsense to make us all smile.

Keep it coming
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 6:48am; Reply: 39
What like Corbyn would be great for country? 😂

Anyway, its either laugh or cry... 🤪
Posted by: wuffing, November 13, 2019, 6:55am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rik e B
Doesn't make you right either Kingston. In my opinion If you think Commie Corbyn would be good for the country you need your head testing!

"Jeremy Corbyn’s fitness for office was questioned today by three former Labour MPs who urged voters to back Boris Johnson instead.

Ian Austin, who worked a special adviser for Gordon Brown and in Downing Street, said that Mr Corbyn was an “extremist” who is “completely unfit” to be prime minister and told The Times that he would be voting for the Conservatives on election day.

“Voting for anybody other than Boris Johnson risks Corbyn getting into No 10 and I think that would be a disaster for Britain,” he said.
"

And I don't see why Brexit Party are at all devisive or should be lumped alongside BNP 🙄 They are no more so than the Liberal (un)democrats and if they were to hold a function at McMenemy's despite loathing their stance I wouldn't begrudge them and would welcome more income for the club.

I don't see their being vast swathes of rent-a-mob (il)liberal extremists foaming at the mouth in BP carpark come Thursday.

Personally, well done to the Club for welcoming people who represent the views of the vast majority of people in the area.

So he put his words in the Times did Mr. Austin? That nice newspaper owned by that er, nice man Rupert Fu****ng Murdock. Think you might need your head testing a bit Rik e B! Any Labour man worth his salt would NEVER EVER say such words or suggest to voters to defect to the enemy party of the working man.

Posted by: golfer, November 13, 2019, 7:56am; Reply: 41
If Corbyn said that everybody over 59 should be given a tablet all you 60 year old life long labour supporters would vote for him
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 8:16am; Reply: 42
Quoted from wuffing

So he put his words in the Times did Mr. Austin? That nice newspaper owned by that er, nice man Rupert Fu****ng Murdock. Think you might need your head testing a bit Rik e B! Any Labour man worth his salt would NEVER EVER say such words or suggest to voters to defect to the enemy party of the working man.

Either that CGI or this life long Labour man a true patriot putting country before party.
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 43
With Austin, it's mostly down to the fact he'll do anything to avoid a pro-Palestinian PM getting into power. That's what the whole (mainly confected) antisemitism scandal is all about. He left the Labour Party months ago and is already a trade envoy to Israel. I'm sure he'll be well-rewarded elsewhere as well.

It is perhaps understandable that Austin has this approach as he was apparently adopted and raised by a holocaust survivor. A lot of the original Zionist movement came from the idea of a defensible homeland for Jews and, after the events of the Second World War, can you really blame them? Only problem, of course, is that they basically stole the land from under the Palestinians and, allied with the religious Zionist side, you get the apartheid state you see today with millions of Palestinians living in refugee camps many decades later.

You'll note that all the claims about endemic antisemitism in the party only came around after Corbyn won the leadership then survived the attempted coup by the Labour right-wingers. Considering he's a lifelong anti-racism campaigner, it's a strange stick to beat Corbyn with, but it's all they had.

One thing, though, let's stop with this 'Commie' nonsense. I get tired of noting that he's just really a moderate social democrat whose policies you would find in most of the western European countries. In fact, most of them wouldn't have been out of place in a Tory manifesto from the 60s and early 70s. The extremism began with Thatcher as she oversaw a transfer of capital and assets from the state to private hands (i.e. the already wealthy).
Posted by: wuffing, November 13, 2019, 8:28am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Maringer
With Austin, it's mostly down to the fact he'll do anything to avoid a pro-Palestinian PM getting into power. That's what the whole (mainly confected) antisemitism scandal is all about. He left the Labour Party months ago and is already a trade envoy to Israel. I'm sure he'll be well-rewarded elsewhere as well.

It is perhaps understandable that Austin has this approach as he was apparently adopted and raised by a holocaust survivor. A lot of the original Zionist movement came from the idea of a defensible homeland for Jews and, after the events of the Second World War, can you really blame them? Only problem, of course, is that they basically stole the land from under the Palestinians and, allied with the religious Zionist side, you get the apartheid state you see today with millions of Palestinians living in refugee camps many decades later.

You'll note that all the claims about endemic antisemitism in the party only came around after Corbyn won the leadership then survived the attempted coup by the Labour right-wingers. Considering he's a lifelong anti-racism campaigner, it's a strange stick to beat Corbyn with, but it's all they had.

One thing, though, let's stop with this 'Commie' nonsense. I get tired of noting that he's just really a moderate social democrat whose policies you would find in most of the western European countries. In fact, most of them wouldn't have been out of place in a Tory manifesto from the 60s and early 70s. The extremism began with Thatcher as she oversaw a transfer of capital and assets from the state to private hands (i.e. the already wealthy).

Praise the Lord...someone that actually knows what is going on!!!

Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 8:44am; Reply: 45
Well you didn't as you said he'd never say that 😂

Momentum are clearly far-left socialist extremists, listen, I've voted Labour several times in younger years but the truth is they abandoned the working man a long time ago and their metropolitan champagne socialists are not representing their Northern and Welsh heartlands at present.

The Tory lot the best of a bad bunch at the minute for me, once Brexit guaranteed I could maybe be persuaded to vote otherwise with a more centrist leader and outlook.

Apologies to the normal Fishy folk for stringing out the non-football 😬
Posted by: wuffing, November 13, 2019, 9:03am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Rik e B

Momentum are clearly far-left socialist extremists, listen, I've voted Labour several times in younger years but the truth is they abandoned the working man a long time ago and their metropolitan champagne socialists are not representing their Northern and Welsh heartlands at present.

The Tory lot the best of a bad bunch at the minute for me, once Brexit guaranteed I could maybe be persuaded to vote otherwise with a more centrist leader and outlook.

Fifth richest economy in the world: Nine years of Tory cutbacks. People having to use food banks. Growing homelessness on our streets. Crime and violence going through the roof. Young people with no chance of owning their own property. Rents ridiculously high. Yes lets vote for some more of this folks.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 13, 2019, 9:06am; Reply: 47
Quoted from wuffing

Fifth richest economy in the world: Nine years of Tory cutbacks. People having to use food banks. Growing homelessness on our streets. Crime and violence going through the roof. Young people with no chance of owning their own property. Rents ridiculously high. Yes lets vote for some more of this folks.

Wanting to fix all of this is socialist apparently. Fully mad how blinkered some people are.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Rik e B

No need to apologise Rik - after all you didn't start it.

It is telling how some so called Town fans would starve the club of much needed funds, because they had the temerity to hold a meeting from a main stream political party that doesn't agree with their world view.
Posted by: golfer, November 13, 2019, 9:24am; Reply: 49
A lot of people calling Boris, FFS he's only been P.M. for 5 minutes. People are bringing things up when he was only in short trousers. He has cleared out a lot of the 2 faced gits like Hammond so as far as I can see he has only done good .
Posted by: wuffing, November 13, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Chrisblor

Wanting to fix all of this is socialist apparently. Fully mad how blinkered some people are.

...so Capitalism and total privatisation of life is the way to go then. Me blinkered? FFS.

Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 51
2010:

The former chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne (Labour), left a note in a desk (to new Conservative government) stating, ''I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,''

Austerity unfortunately needed to save a Greece-style bankruptcy
Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 52
Frankly I wouldn't mind BP hosting a National Socialist rally led by the Hitler himself if it led to us staying in the EU (and a new ground being built in the next 50 years)
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 9:49am; Reply: 53
Now that is seriously f**ked up.

(not the new ground part)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 9:53am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Rik e B
2010:

The former chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne (Labour), left a note in a desk (to new Conservative government) stating, ''I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,''

A nice story but the occasion on which this really happened was when James Callaghan took over from Reginald Maudling following Wilsons election victory. The Tories left a defcit of £800,000,000

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 13, 2019, 10:11am; Reply: 55
Anyway, this Brexit thing, has anyone decided what it means yet?
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 56

It is telling how some so called Town fans would starve the club of much needed funds, because they had the temerity to hold a meeting from a main stream political party that doesn't agree with their world view.

And so it begins. You're trying to claim I'm not a Town fan because I think Farage is a populist chancer whose links to the far right and divisive and dishonest rhetoric shouldn't be supported. Just look who he's been consorting with in the US and you'll see what he's really all about.

I'm not going to turn up and protest or anything, but for me, Farage represents all that is the worst about the leave side of the debate. He's made a very lucrative career out of it, taking our money to do so (he's not done his job as an MEP but has taken every penny available and then some for 20 years) and he's clearly in it for himself before anything else. His current vehicle, The Brexit Party, is a private company with 3 owners (one of whom is Farage, of course). The bulk of their funding comes from small donations which can remain anonymous and don't need to be reported to the Electoral Commission - absolutely ripe for illegal payments from outside the UK. About as dodgy as you can get, even before you consider the fact that they've just unilaterally withdrawn their candidates from over 300 constituencies - no refunds for these aspiring candidates who had to pay for it, either.

If you're happy with all this, by all means go and wave your Union Jack, but I'm quite entitled to my view that it is disappointing that the club is accepting money from this charlatan.

For reference, by the way, I am a Town fan, which is why I got to the games, have had a season ticket for the past 30-odd years and post on this message board. Not quite sure why you think this makes me a 'so called' Town fan?
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Rik e B
Labour just held an event in executive suite of Blackpool football club... Chance for income, take it. Simples. Typical Remoaner whingeing.

He said Remoaner instead of Remainer, that's so funny!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Rik e B
2010:

you forgot to mention that this was as a result of a GLOBAL recession. Do you really believe everything you read in the Murdoch press?
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 13, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 59
non-football?
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 10:43am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Rik e B
2010:

The note was a joke (though Byrne is a clueless twonk).

Your comments about Greece show a serious lack of knowledge, unfortunately. It seems you've bought into the nonsense propaganda pumped out by the Tories and their billionaire chums in the media. The 'Magic Money Tree' shtick is nonsense as is the idea that government spending in the economy is like that of a household.

The UK government is the sole issuer of GBP Sterling and, as such, can never, ever run out of money. The Bank of England (owned by the UK government) either creates or authorises private banks to create every pound in existence and, as QE showed, if we want to simply create another £435 billion out of thin air, we can do so at the stroke of a pen. People think governments tax and then spend, but this is actually entirely the wrong way around. With a fiat currency such as Sterling, the government spends and then taxes later. When we decide to spunk several billion on some aircraft carriers, we don't have to save up tax receipts to be able to pay for it. We just create the money by writing a cheque and most of this is then recouped through taxation.

On the other hand, the sole issuer of the Euro is the European Central Bank (and private banks authorised by the ECB). Greece could not create more Euros to pay their debts because they didn't control the ECB singlehandedly (it's the Germans and French who effectively do this).
Posted by: AdamHaddock, November 13, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 61
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It means we won't be dictated to by these Brussels bureaucrats. We'll be dictated to by corporate America lobbyists instead
Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 62
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Therein lies the problem and my argument against the first vote.It was held too soon and people voted without knowing what leaving would entail (they just had Farage and Boris's lies about the NHS and immigration to go on)

In fairness we still don't know exactly what leaving will mean unless or until an agreement is reached. One thing's for sure it isn't going to be all nuts and honey and a wonderful future for the UK

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 13, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 63
"One thing's for sure it isn't going to be all nuts and honey and a wonderful future"

My grandad was right Swin, whoever you vote for, the government always wins.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 11:05am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Maringer

The note was a joke (though Byrne is a clueless twonk).

Your comments about Greece show a serious lack of knowledge, unfortunately. It seems you've bought into the nonsense propaganda pumped out by the Tories and their billionaire chums in the media. The 'Magic Money Tree' shtick is nonsense as is the idea that government spending in the economy is like that of a household.

The UK government is the sole issuer of GBP Sterling and, as such, can never, ever run out of money. The Bank of England (owned by the UK government) either creates or authorises private banks to create every pound in existence and, as QE showed, if we want to simply create another £435 billion out of thin air, we can do so at the stroke of a pen. People think governments tax and then spend, but this is actually entirely the wrong way around. With a fiat currency such as Sterling, the government spends and then taxes later. When we decide to spunk several billion on some aircraft carriers, we don't have to save up tax receipts to be able to pay for it. We just create the money by writing a cheque and most of this is then recouped through taxation.

On the other hand, the sole issuer of the Euro is the European Central Bank (and private banks authorised by the ECB). Greece could not create more Euros to pay their debts because they didn't control the ECB singlehandedly (it's the Germans and French who effectively do this).

That is far too sensible for the fishy. Please take these logical opinions elsewhere.
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, November 13, 2019, 11:40am; Reply: 65
So what's this about that bloke and the car then?
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, November 13, 2019, 11:57am; Reply: 66
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
So what's this about that bloke and the car then?

Fu(k all, as far as I can see.
Posted by: sam gy, November 13, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 67
The same people who cry out “keep politics out of football” seem to be the same people who have absolutely no problem with a POLITICAL party holding an event at our FOOTBALL stadium.

It’s extremely naïve to think the Brexit party are merely hiring a room and we should take money from whoever we can. If you don’t think the Brexit Party will see holding an event at the home of the only thing that unites thousands of people in our community together will be seen as a feather in their cap, then you’re wrong.

I strongly disagree with the politics of Farage, The Brexit Party, and this Christopher Barker bloke is an absolute flipping joker, but I don’t think any political party should hold events at our club – it divides the fan base more than it already is (this event has clearly led to a lot of disagreements on social media between fans – same as it would if Labour held an event here), when we should be uniting, and GTFC should be the one thing that unites us for 90 minutes on a Saturday. It leaves a bad taste, and I think it’s a short-sighted move from the club….no surprise there, then.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Ipswin

Therein lies the problem and my argument against the first vote.It was held too soon and people voted without knowing what leaving would entail (they just had Farage and Boris's lies about the NHS and immigration to go on)

In fairness we still don't know exactly what leaving will mean unless or until an agreement is reached. One thing's for sure it isn't going to be all nuts and honey and a wonderful future for the UK

For those of you who don't know how currency markets work I'll explain exactly how I see this panning out and what Johnson's puppet masters (the likes of Crispin Odey) are banking on happening;

I'll base the figures on £100m as this is the kind of money that they'll be gambling with (probably more in truth).

GBP/USD is currently at 1.28 which means that £1 buys $1.28. So currently £100m = $128m

If Johnson gets a majority the GBP/USD exchange is expected to rise to 1.35-1.45. I'll base it on 1.35 to be conservative. So in that instance the likes of Odey (oh and also Jacob Rees-Mogg) will sell £100m and receive $135m.

Here comes the interesting (and infuriating part) and why honest Nige claims he's dropped his opposition to Johnson's deal. The transition period won't be extended beyond December 2020 according to Johnson, so all it's doing is delaying our crash out on WTO terms by a year because there is absolutely no way on earth that we can negotiate a free trade arrangement in a year. On average it takes 3-7years. the forecast GBP/USD exchange for this kind of crash out on WTO terms is 1.12.

So on January 1st 2021, the currency crashes, these grifters sell their dollars. They have $135m which they purcahsed on December 13th 2019, they then sell them at 1.12 which leaves them with £120.5m making them a tidy £20.5m profit on their initial £100m while the rest of us are left with a destroyed economy in a net importing economy and ultimately become much, much poorer because, no matter what Liz Truss tells us, we're not able to be self sufficient! Look at us, we're a tiny island with a large population, it's obvious.

I don't know who's car it was though.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 13, 2019, 11:59am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Rik e B
2010:

If Boris had been in power it would said     ' the Crown Jewels are one the 3.30 at Kempton''
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 13, 2019, 11:59am; Reply: 70
Cant see any problem with hold political meetings in a football stadium,
Very popular in Chile back in the day apparently
Posted by: mimma, November 13, 2019, 12:28pm; Reply: 71
The Taliban use to use football stadiums for their political purposes
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 13, 2019, 12:36pm; Reply: 72
Right then folks
If you care To go to the non footy bit of the fishy, feel free to continue this POLITICAL debate.
We have gone from a possible takeover bid (which I’m interested in, so have to keep reading this thread), to yet more politics (which I‘m also interested in but not 24/7).  So if you would kindly take your discussion to the appropriate site I would be most grateful.  😄😴😴
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Civvy at last
Right then folks
If you care To go to the non footy bit of the fishy, feel free to continue this POLITICAL debate.
We have gone from a possible takeover bid (which I’m interested in, so have to keep reading this thread), to yet more politics (which I‘m also interested in but not 24/7).  So if you would kindly take your discussion to the appropriate site I would be most grateful.  😄😴😴

Maybe the club should do the same.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Maringer

And so it begins. You're trying to claim I'm not a Town fan because I think Farage is a populist chancer whose links to the far right and divisive and dishonest rhetoric shouldn't be supported. Just look who he's been consorting with in the US and you'll see what he's really all about.

I'm not going to turn up and protest or anything, but for me, Farage represents all that is the worst about the leave side of the debate. He's made a very lucrative career out of it, taking our money to do so (he's not done his job as an MEP but has taken every penny available and then some for 20 years) and he's clearly in it for himself before anything else. His current vehicle, The Brexit Party, is a private company with 3 owners (one of whom is Farage, of course). The bulk of their funding comes from small donations which can remain anonymous and don't need to be reported to the Electoral Commission - absolutely ripe for illegal payments from outside the UK. About as dodgy as you can get, even before you consider the fact that they've just unilaterally withdrawn their candidates from over 300 constituencies - no refunds for these aspiring candidates who had to pay for it, either.

If you're happy with all this, by all means go and wave your Union Jack, but I'm quite entitled to my view that it is disappointing that the club is accepting money from this charlatan.

For reference, by the way, I am a Town fan, which is why I got to the games, have had a season ticket for the past 30-odd years and post on this message board. Not quite sure why you think this makes me a 'so called' Town fan?

I have read quite a few of your political posts on the non footy site, and to be honest I don't believe a word you say as you seem to so blinded by anything that does not fit your narrative.

Like it or not The Brexit party is a mainstream political party (because the majority did not agree with you about the EU) and either you accept their right to hold meetings at BP, or you ban all political parties from having meetings there which would ludicrous.

Feeling passionate about something does not make you right, and the majority of voters do not share your views, but you seem unable or unwilling to accept that simple fact.

Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 75
"One thing's for sure it isn't going to be all nuts and honey and a wonderful future"

My grandad was right Swin, whoever you vote for, the government always wins.

I just hope that whoever I vote for becomes the government

Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 76

The Brexit party is a mainstream political party

With no seats? Presumably then the late Lord Sutch's Monster Raving Loony party would qualify

Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from golfer
as far as I can see he has only done good .

You should have gone to Specsavers, those rose tinted specs are clearly worn out ;)

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Ipswin

With no seats? Presumably then the late Lord Sutch's Monster Raving Loony party would qualify

They have yet to contest a General Election. They won the Euro elections earlier this year.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 13, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from golfer
If Corbyn said that everybody over 59 should be given a tablet all you 60 year old life long labour supporters would vote for him

Asking for a friend.... would these be blue by any chance?  ;)
Posted by: mimma, November 13, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 80
Voting for the Brexit party is a wasted vote IMHO.  We get Brexit sorted in a few months,  so what do they do for the next four and a half years? They don't have another meaningful policy on anything so their MPs will just sit there pocketing their allowances and quaffing cheap booze waiting for the next election.

This is not another referendum on the EU but a general election to vote how we want the government to run our country.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 13, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 81
[quote=3362]

I have read quite a few of your political posts on the non footy site, and to be honest I don't believe a word you say as you seem to so blinded by anything that does not fit your narrative.

Like it or not The Brexit party is a mainstream political party (because the majority did not agree with you about the EU) and either you accept their right to hold meetings at BP, or you ban all political parties from having meetings there which would ludicrous.

Feeling passionate about something does not make you right, and the majority of voters do not share your views, but you seem unable or unwilling to accept that simple fact.

They are not a political party in the normal sense of the word. They are a company, mainly owned by Farage who determines whatever policies they are likely to end up with, and therefore being a "member" confers none of the usual benefits that one would expect from belonging to any organisation.

The worrying thing is, Farage is the biggest snake oil salesman ever seen, and his idea of democracy is what suits his needs. So much for taking back control, his party "membership" can't do that.Those unfortunate folk who have been dumped as Brexit Party candidates have found out just what a conman Farage is as they have been refused their £100 deposits to the Party for standing in the first place. That's a cool £31,000 now lining his pockets, an awful lot of very nice claret on very good terms indeed! Those same candidates have all their access to the BREXIT Party database rescinded, so not only is grand theft larceny it's totally blanking the folk who basically idolised him. He will have made some enemies with these actions, but would he care? I think we know the answer to that.

....and yet. A good number of working class folk think the sun shines out of his nether regions because they've been blinded by the lies. If the election does see a Tory administration, a big crashing out of the EU by the end of 2020, I hope these same folk understand their health, wealth, and well being all depend on geting things right.

Posted by: SomeSanity, November 13, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 82
This is all well and good but what about the bloke in the f*cking Rolls Royce?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from jock dock tower
[quote=3362]

They are not a political party in the normal sense of the word. They are a company, mainly owned by Farage who determines whatever policies they are likely to end up with, and therefore being a "member" confers none of the usual benefits that one would expect from belonging to any organisation.

The worrying thing is, Farage is the biggest snake oil salesman ever seen, and his idea of democracy is what suits his needs. So much for taking back control, his party "membership" can't do that.Those unfortunate folk who have been dumped as Brexit Party candidates have found out just what a conman Farage is as they have been refused their £100 deposits to the Party for standing in the first place. That's a cool £31,000 now lining his pockets, an awful lot of very nice claret on very good terms indeed! Those same candidates have all their access to the BREXIT Party database rescinded, so not only is grand theft larceny it's totally blanking the folk who basically idolised him. He will have made some enemies with these actions, but would he care? I think we know the answer to that.

....and yet. A good number of working class folk think the sun shines out of his nether regions because they've been blinded by the lies. If the election does see a Tory administration, a big crashing out of the EU by the end of 2020, I hope these same folk understand their health, wealth, and well being all depend on geting things right.

You don't like Farage which is fair enough. According to your strapline you don't like the Tories either, which is fair enough.

Other people do like both the Brexit party and/or the Tories.  They have a right to hold a political meeting at BP.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 1:57pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from mimma
Voting for the Brexit party is a wasted vote IMHO.  We get Brexit sorted in a few months,  so what do they do for the next four and a half years? They don't have another meaningful policy on anything so their MPs will just sit there pocketing their allowances and quaffing cheap booze waiting for the next election.

This is not another referendum on the EU but a general election to vote how we want the government to run our country.

I don't disagree, as I think the Brexit party will needlessly split the leave vote, but it is defending their right to hold a meeting at BP that is the issue.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 13, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 85
Why don't you lot set up your own political party, go to Westminster to settle your debate and let the rest of us discuss who the bloke in the roller was, getting Fenty to carry his ring binders for him....in the words of Jimmy from Quadrophenia...."BELLBOY!!!!"...😂
Posted by: mariner91, November 13, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 86

You don’t believe anything that Maringer writes even though he often accompanies his posts with evidence and is generally pretty well informed on these subjects. Yet he’s the one blinded by things not fitting his narrative. The hypocrisy is on another level.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 13, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Why don't you lot set up your own political party, go to Westminster to settle your debate and let the rest of us discuss who the bloke in the roller was, getting Fenty to carry his ring binders for him....in the words of Jimmy from Quadrophenia...."BELLBOY!!!!"...😂

Just returning to this point, and this is obviously second hand info from a mate, but I was told back in September there was another interested party in buying the club. My mate is very reliable and was telling me what a current director had told him. Surprisingly a figure of £5M was mentioned but as until this thread this rumour has never raised its head I thought it may be the normal balderdash but your guess is as good as mine.

I will reiterate though that this information came directly from a club Director
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from mariner91

You don’t believe anything that Maringer writes even though he often accompanies his posts with evidence and is generally pretty well informed on these subjects. Yet he’s the one blinded by things not fitting his narrative. The hypocrisy is on another level.

That's the mindset of the Brexiteer though. They rely on nostalgia and a misplaced (and down right offensive) belief that we can "rally on the Empire" to get us out of this mess. Whoever presents them with facts, be it the Bank of England, The WTO, Human Rights Experts, Trade Experts they give the same response "THAT'S JUST PROJECT FEAR". You can't reason with these people.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 2:47pm; Reply: 89

They have yet to contest a General Election. .

Hardly mainstream then and anyway the Brexit party is just a re-incarnation of the UKIP party and I can't recall them winning any seats at the last election either. In fact I think that drunken idiot Farage has tried to get elected to the House on a number of occasions without result hence his fear of failure again leading to his refusal to stand himself

Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 90

I think the Brexit party will needlessly split the leave vote,.

Oh I do hope so!

Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2019, 2:51pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Just returning to this point, and this is obviously second hand info from a mate, but I was told back in September there was another interested party in buying the club. My mate is very reliable and was telling me what a current director had told him. Surprisingly a figure of £5M was mentioned but as until this thread this rumour has never raised its head I thought it may be the normal balderdash but your guess is as good as mine.

I will reiterate though that this information came directly from a club Director

The interested party is Nigel Farage on the basis that GTFC are one of the clubs most unlikely ever to get into Europe

Posted by: Azimuth, November 13, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 92

If you think a marxist who hates everything about our country and way of life and is a friend of terrorist organisations is just what our country needs then I really feel for you and worry about the logic of your thinking.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 13, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 93
FOR GOD SAKE....PLEASE TAKE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS AND START A NON FOOTBALL THREAD...
WHERES THE MODS WHEN YOU NEED ONE...
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Azimuth

If you think a marxist who hates everything about our country and way of life and is a friend of terrorist organisations is just what our country needs then I really feel for you and worry about the logic of your thinking.

He's not a Marxist, doesn't hate everything about our country and way of life and isn't a friend of terrorist organisations. That's a 100% record there, but not in the right way.

A lifelong campaigner for peace isn't a friend of terrorist organisations, even if they enter into dialogue with them. Just like, ooh, the Thatcher and Major governments did with the IRA, in fact.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 13, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 95
FOR GOD SAKE....PLEASE TAKE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS AND START A NON FOOTBALL THREAD...
WHERES THE MODS WHEN YOU NEED ONE...

Probably in the same place you lost your caps lock key  ;)
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 96

Please do feel free to point out where I've posted something demonstrably incorrect.

If something is an opinion, I do try to remember to note it as such, but I might have slipped up somewhere.

My points about Farage were based on fact though obviously, calling him a charlatan or shyster is just an opinion I've come to from reading the facts.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 97
I'm ever so sorry to continue this charade, but the wise sage Maringer thinks we can just print more money and never have any problems. Nonsense. Inflation would rise, everything costs more, square one.

See Zimbabwe.

Hence why governments borrow money from banks and prefer to pay back with interest.

Your long posts seem so well informed but there's usually a fundamental flaw (see above). Let's print 100 trillion sterling and make ourselves the richest country on the planet. Oh sh!t a packet on nobbys nuts now costs me £27.60, I can't afford to eat or pay my bills.

Im sure you've got some sort of magical comeback but can we all just agree to disagree in this particular zone of the Fishy for now? At the end of the day opposite views are entrenched and won't be swayed hence I don't waste much time over on non-footy banging my head against a brick wall while the aggrieved vocal minority witter on and on.

I could bang on about how loads of Establishment Remainer's stand to continue having their pockets lined by the EU if we Remain, I'm sure it's far more than any Eurosceptics dastardly plans to crash the pound and quickly cash in. Never mind the fact they likely life long Eurosceptics, probably from way before they had such funds to do so. But again, let's just leave it eh?

Anyway, any more scoop on rich business folk been seen of by Fents and Co. with bundles of plaggy binders?

I know it excites the tastebuds cooing over any potential takeover bid and makes for some great time passing chatting away about it bug in a way I'd kinda like it to actually be kept in the dark then *boom* there you go one day (hopefully!) instead of the deflated feeling of it not happening.

But sod it no I'm nosey I wanna know what's going on always 😂
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 13, 2019, 4:53pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Probably in the same place you lost your caps lock key  ;)

That was my best attempt at being shouty!!🙄
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 99
You still don't understand how a fiat currency works.

Zimbabwe borrowed in foreign currencies over which they had no control. As did Venezuela, for that matter. We don't. They are also massively corrupt countries with barely functioning governments. We're not there quite yet.

If we need to pay off a debt in Sterling, we just create more and the only place that our creditors can spend their money is ultimately with the UK. As even the Tories have now realised, investors are buying UK government bonds at effectively negative rates - once inflation is taken into account, they pay to lend us money and have been doing so for about 5 years now.

Approximately 25% of the current UK debt was created by QE. So we increased our debt by a full third and inflation has still remained below the 2% BoE target. Nothing magical about it. If there is excess capacity in the economy, government spending isn't going to lead to runaway inflation when you are borrowing in your own currency, especially when most of it is recouped by taxation. Our economy has been crying out for investment throughout the awful and stupid austerity years and this is why the NHS and infrastructure is falling to pieces and large amounts of money needs to be spent. This doesn't even consider what the long term costs of climate change will be if it isn't checked.

Never quite understood why people complain about non-football comments in these threads. After all, nobody has any idea of who the fatcat with a flash car actually is and whether or not he is actually serious about becoming a sugardaddy for a struggling football club.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 13, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Maringer

He's not a Marxist, doesn't hate everything about our country and way of life and isn't a friend of terrorist organisations. That's a 100% record there, but not in the right way.

A lifelong campaigner for peace isn't a friend of terrorist organisations, even if they enter into dialogue with them. Just like, ooh, the Thatcher and Major governments did with the IRA, in fact.

No he just hates Jews.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 13, 2019, 5:28pm; Reply: 101
Back on subject, maybe the person in this Rolls Royce was a debt collector looking for approximately £600k.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 13, 2019, 5:31pm; Reply: 102
The Zimbabwe thing was plucked out of the air, I don't have the time to delve into things as much as you seemingly do but as far as I'm aware, simply printing money can only be done to a certain degree as I remember the US considering or doing during credit crisis but could only go so far.

I appreciate your knowledge on such and some matters though I do think some is heavily focused in one direction whilst being blind to shenigans on the side supported. As humans we all guilty if not careful of reading and accepting what fits our world view and card must be taken to try and view matters from different angles and opinions to try gain a clearer overview.

Im as guilty as any at times but do try to skim sources from all spectrums to try garnish a bit of an overview. Unfortunately there a ton of 'fake news' and often it's the ones that screaming fake news that actually the proponents of it.

Whichever way you look there's usually some uber-rich puppetmasters f**king us all over to fill their endless greed. Take Greta Thurnberg, yes we have a problem but I should be able to point out the huge firms and organisations behind her who stand to gain massively from any Green Bill without being screamed at as a climate denyer.

I have further points but making myself late for work!

As well as boring plenty I'm sure....
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 13, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 103

That was my best attempt at being shouty!!🙄

It does not seem to have had the desired affect sadly  ;D
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 13, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 104
You lost me at binders
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 13, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

It does not seem to have had the desired affect sadly  ;D

Reckon this lot have been using the same "how to listen to me" book my missus has!!...🤭🤭
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from arryarryarry

No he just hates Jews.

Also incorrect.

Unless you're one of those trying to redefine criticism of Israeli government policy as being an antisemitic act. This is what many of those accusing Labour of antisemitism are actually doing, which is just ridiculous.

I do wonder, however, if all the accusations of antisemitism are going to win Labour more of the muslim vote!  :P

Ain't religion crap?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 13, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Maringer

Ain't religion crap?

Although I respect your views I mainly disagree with you,

BUT

On this quote I am with you 100%  ;)

Posted by: gaz57, November 13, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Rik e B

"

What concerns me is that everyone posting on here would I hope call out any racist at BP on match
day, but some would vote for Mr Johnson who has made racist comments. The comments not just by the spoken word but the written word for all to see.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 13, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Maringer

Also incorrect.

Unless you're one of those trying to redefine criticism of Israeli government policy as being an antisemitic act. This is what many of those accusing Labour of antisemitism are actually doing, which is just ridiculous.

I do wonder, however, if all the accusations of antisemitism are going to win Labour more of the muslim vote!  :P

Ain't religion crap?

I’m no fan of labour, but I agree with you here, this anti-semitism thing is a red herring - how dare they criticise the Israeli government?! Ridiculous.
Posted by: Biccys, November 13, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 110
Let's keep this thread on subject and not meander off into another non footy political thread please folks.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 13, 2019, 6:38pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Biccys
Let's keep this thread on subject and not meander off into another non footy political thread please folks.

Typical busybody MOD. Spoiling a good discussion. The sort of person that takes  part in Neighbourhood watch I reckon.  ;).
Posted by: golfer, November 13, 2019, 6:50pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from gtfc98

For those of you who don't know how currency markets work I'll explain exactly how I see this panning out and what Johnson's puppet masters (the likes of Crispin Odey) are banking on happening;

I'll base the figures on £100m as this is the kind of money that they'll be gambling with (probably more in truth).

GBP/USD is currently at 1.28 which means that £1 buys $1.28. So currently £100m = $128m

If Johnson gets a majority the GBP/USD exchange is expected to rise to 1.35-1.45. I'll base it on 1.35 to be conservative. So in that instance the likes of Odey (oh and also Jacob Rees-Mogg) will sell £100m and receive $135m.

Here comes the interesting (and infuriating part) and why honest Nige claims he's dropped his opposition to Johnson's deal. The transition period won't be extended beyond December 2020 according to Johnson, so all it's doing is delaying our crash out on WTO terms by a year because there is absolutely no way on earth that we can negotiate a free trade arrangement in a year. On average it takes 3-7years. the forecast GBP/USD exchange for this kind of crash out on WTO terms is 1.12.

So on January 1st 2021, the currency crashes, these grifters sell their dollars. They have $135m which they purcahsed on December 13th 2019, they then sell them at 1.12 which leaves them with £120.5m making them a tidy £20.5m profit on their initial £100m while the rest of us are left with a destroyed economy in a net importing economy and ultimately become much, much poorer because, no matter what Liz Truss tells us, we're not able to be self sufficient! Look at us, we're a tiny island with a large population, it's obvious.

I don't know who's car it was though.

What a load of codswallop
Posted by: WesternMariner, November 13, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from golfer

It’s not codswallop at all - I completely believe that he doesn’t know who’s car it is.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 13, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Biccys

Biccys reminds me of Johnson and the flooding, only taken him a few days to realise there is a problem :P ;D ;D

Ps so if I've got this straight.farage came to b.p. To hire a box in order to hold one of his massdebates, met Fenty and was so impressed by his fashion sense and lucidity that he immediately paid off Fenty's  loans and has bought the club (hence the ring binders) .
The initial money came from Brexit party coffers, the cash for the actual purchase is coming in roubles from his Russian backers and then team 're building and a new stadium will come when the country is in meltdown and he can cash in on the currency dealing he's been doing?
Meanwhile the team will be renamed Red Star Grimsby, will be sponsored by Gazprom and will only select white Anglo Saxon protestants.
Well it's a good a plan as any i suppose.....
Posted by: Biccys, November 13, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Civvy at last

Typical busybody MOD. Spoiling a good discussion. The sort of person that takes  part in Neighbourhood watch I reckon.  ;).

*Debates whether to expose Civvy as the whistleblower or not.....*
Posted by: gaz57, November 13, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Rik e B
I'm ever so sorry to continue this charade, but the wise sage Maringer thinks we can just print more money and never have any problems. Nonsense. Inflation would rise, everything costs more, square one.

See Zimbabwe.

Hence why governments borrow money from banks and prefer to pay back with interest.

Your long posts seem so well informed but there's usually a fundamental flaw (see above). Let's print 100 trillion sterling and make ourselves the richest country on the planet. Oh sh!t a packet on nobbys nuts now costs me £27.60, I can't afford to eat or pay my bills.

Im sure you've got some sort of magical comeback but can we all just agree to disagree in this particular zone of the Fishy for now? At the end of the day opposite views are entrenched and won't be swayed hence I don't waste much time over on non-footy banging my head against a brick wall while the aggrieved vocal minority witter on and on.

I could bang on about how loads of Establishment Remainer's stand to continue having their pockets lined by the EU if we Remain, I'm sure it's far more than any Eurosceptics dastardly plans to crash the pound and quickly cash in. Never mind the fact they likely life long Eurosceptics, probably from way before they had such funds to do so. But again, let's just leave it eh?

Anyway, any more scoop on rich business folk been seen of by Fents and Co. with bundles of plaggy binders?

I know it excites the tastebuds cooing over any potential takeover bid and makes for some great time passing chatting away about it bug in a way I'd kinda like it to actually be kept in the dark then *boom* there you go one day (hopefully!) instead of the deflated feeling of it not happening.

But sod it no I'm nosey I wanna know what's going on always 😂

" I can't afford to eat or pay my bills" Isn't that the case for millions under the Tories today?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from gaz57

What concerns me is that everyone posting on here would I hope call out any racist at BP on match
day, but some would vote for Mr Johnson who has made racist comments. The comments not just by the spoken word but the written word for all to see.

You cannot be serious?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 13, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from gaz57

" I can't afford to eat or pay my bills" Isn't that the case for millions under the Tories today?

Funny how most of the population manages, even those who have to take advantage of a generous welfare system. I suppose it is down to personal responsibility.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 13, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from Biccys

*Debates whether to expose Civvy as the whistleblower or not.....*

Well,  despite my whistle blowing (nearly as much as Saturdays ref) and your swift action. It would appear that the sad fookers are still blathering on about non footy.
No game this weekend so I doubt things will improve any time soon.  😴😴😴😴😴😴
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 13, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 120
No “referees an onanist “ this week then
Posted by: golfer, November 13, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from golfer

For those who gave red x's you have been taken in by GTFC98-write it down on a piece of paper and treat it as a simple maths sum-in the meantime if anybody phones you up don't give them your bank details.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 13, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from golfer

For those who gave red x's you have been taken in by GTFC98-write it down on a piece of paper and treat it as a simple maths sum-in the meantime if anybody phones you up don't give them your bank details.

How is it codswalop? It's called currency shorting.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 13, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 123
This is mostly non-football so moved. Please carry on the discussion but in a more appropriate place.
Posted by: golfer, November 13, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from gtfc98

How is it codswalop? It's called currency shorting.

As you well know "short selling" is illegal in certain cases in this country and to make it legal a law would have to be passed. I don't for one minute think this would be passed in parliament even though the government did try to persuade the EU not to ban it. It would be a conflict of interest and carry a custodial sentence
Posted by: Maringer, November 13, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Rik e B
The Zimbabwe thing was plucked out of the air, I don't have the time to delve into things as much as you seemingly do but as far as I'm aware, simply printing money can only be done to a certain degree as I remember the US considering or doing during credit crisis but could only go so far.

I appreciate your knowledge on such and some matters though I do think some is heavily focused in one direction whilst being blind to shenigans on the side supported. As humans we all guilty if not careful of reading and accepting what fits our world view and card must be taken to try and view matters from different angles and opinions to try gain a clearer overview.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Back in 2017, there was a poll of MPs which indicated that only 15% of them actually understood how money was created in the modern economy! That's politicians of all parties who decide what is spent and invested and the vast majority of them didn't have a flipping clue how money was created - most of them probably thought there was a finite supply of the stuff. Pillocks.

It's counter-intuitive, but when you take out a loan with a bank, they don't give you the money from their reserves. They quite literally create it with a keystroke. When you pay the loan back, the money is destroyed. Crazy stuff, eh? But that's what happens with every bank working with a fiat currency today and this has been the case for decades.

If you want your head to explode even more, you'd perhaps be interested to know that the First World War was partially funded by QE? A blog from Bank of England employees revealed this in 2017:

https://bankunderground.co.uk/2017/08/08/your-country-needs-funds-the-extraordinary-story-of-britains-early-efforts-to-finance-the-first-world-war/

TLDR. To sum up, the first War Bond issue to try and raise money was a terrible failure because not enough rich people were willing to invest in the bonds, despite a good rate of interest. To cover up the disaster, the BoE created a load of money and gave it to their chief cashier and his deputy who secretly bought loads of the bonds. Cue propaganda (i.e. bullshite) about the bond issue being massively oversubscribed and the guns and bombs were bought.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 126

PS you're missing the point.  Who's had more chance to improve the lot of people in towns like Grimsby?

Who took us 'into Europe'?
Who sold out the fishing grounds?
Who signed us up to the single market?
Who was in power when fishermen finally got some compensation?
Who cut public spending which disproportionately affected poor towns?

Go ahead. Vote for the BrexCon alliance. I'm alright Jack.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 10:52pm; Reply: 127

Corbyn reminds me of a friend at school who was always talking about being kind to animals and then he left school and became a butcher’s apprentice.

Plenty of people who work in the food industry are like that. Kind to animals but recognise they are a food for many people. Seems normal.

Not sure what your point is. Are you trying to imply he's some sort of hypocrite? If so it's a bit like saying if you're a sheep farmer you're cruel to animals.

Must try harder.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Rik e B

"

So there you go Rik. Resorting to insults rather than arguments. Ian Austin (who was on the radio this morning and completely exposed by that Tory journalist at the BBC, Andrew Marr) is a clueless mercenary. Yeah, vote Tory he says because of anti-semitism in the Labour party. Vote Tory despite the Islamophobia - don't believe me, have a listen to Baroness Warsie.

Now Commie you say. Let's see how capitalism worked out.... oh hang on, the last Labour government had to rescue the whole banking sector in 2008. Labour saved capitalism from itself. Now what does the evidence tell you there?

As for jibes like "rent-a-mob liberals". Really? You think people are paid to do that? Liberal "extremists"?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Rik e B

Im as guilty as any at times but do try to skim sources from all spectrums to try garnish a bit of an overview. Unfortunately there a ton of 'fake news' and often it's the ones that screaming fake news that actually the proponents of it.

Whichever way you look there's usually some uber-rich puppetmasters f**king us all over to fill their endless greed. Take Greta Thurnberg, yes we have a problem but I should be able to point out the huge firms and organisations behind her who stand to gain massively from any Green Bill without being screamed at as a climate denyer.

I have further points but making myself late for work!

As well as boring plenty I'm sure....

So take the time. Or present the evidence of which firms will gain massively from Greta Thurnberg's campaigning. If you can't, then why repeat such claims? Come on we all know oil companies have a lot to lose with environmental campaigners gaining influence but who benefits from her?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:08pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from golfer

So insightful.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from Azimuth

So who told you that eh? Which rag did you read that in? The Sun? The Mail?

Corbyn opposed wars that we got involved in. Proved right on most of them. He talked to Sinn Fein. So did the Tory government in the 80s! He believes Palestinians deserve a safe homeland - what the intercourse is wrong with that?

All fair British values as far as I can see. If you are worried about anyone's logic it should be your own.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:18pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Maringer
You still don't understand how a fiat currency works.

Zimbabwe borrowed in foreign currencies over which they had no control. As did Venezuela, for that matter. We don't. They are also massively corrupt countries with barely functioning governments. We're not there quite yet.

If we need to pay off a debt in Sterling, we just create more and the only place that our creditors can spend their money is ultimately with the UK. As even the Tories have now realised, investors are buying UK government bonds at effectively negative rates - once inflation is taken into account, they pay to lend us money and have been doing so for about 5 years now.

Approximately 25% of the current UK debt was created by QE. So we increased our debt by a full third and inflation has still remained below the 2% BoE target. Nothing magical about it. If there is excess capacity in the economy, government spending isn't going to lead to runaway inflation when you are borrowing in your own currency, especially when most of it is recouped by taxation. Our economy has been crying out for investment throughout the awful and stupid austerity years and this is why the NHS and infrastructure is falling to pieces and large amounts of money needs to be spent. This doesn't even consider what the long term costs of climate change will be if it isn't checked.

Never quite understood why people complain about non-football comments in these threads. After all, nobody has any idea of who the fatcat with a flash car actually is and whether or not he is actually serious about becoming a sugardaddy for a struggling football club.

And you haven't even started on 'who does the government owe the money to?'

[the answer is mostly us]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:21pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from gtfc98

That's the mindset of the Brexiteer though. They rely on nostalgia and a misplaced (and down right offensive) belief that we can "rally on the Empire" to get us out of this mess. Whoever presents them with facts, be it the Bank of England, The WTO, Human Rights Experts, Trade Experts they give the same response "THAT'S JUST PROJECT FEAR". You can't reason with these people.

If they've ever bothered to listen to anyone from the Commonwealth, they'd know there is going to be no special treatment for us.

It'd be funny if it wan't so serious.

To be fair, not all Brexiteers are like that though. Just the loud ones.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:30pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from golfer
A lot of people calling Boris, FFS he's only been P.M. for 5 minutes. People are bringing things up when he was only in short trousers. He has cleared out a lot of the 2 faced gits like Hammond so as far as I can see he has only done good .

Listen chum, he may have only been in charge of something that covered your part of the country for 5 minutes, but I was a resident of the city he was mayor of for 8 years. The guy's a muppet, a chancer, a comedian. I'd have a laugh with him in the pub over a few pints but I wouldn't leave him in charge of my cat.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:39pm; Reply: 135

No need to apologise Rik - after all you didn't start it.

Oh! Last resort of the desperate!. Not a Town fan because they don't want the club earning a few quid from someone like Farage. I appreciate you might not agree with me on him and his cause. I get that. But which definition of 'fan' are you working from? Is any politician allowed to book the facilities at BP just because it means money for the club? Are we not allowed to draw any line?

As I said in another post, personally I don't think ANY political party should be allowed to. But to accuse someone of being a 'so-called" Town fan because on principle (rightly or wrongly) they disagreed with a source of money.

Who is out of bounds? Pol Pot? Adolf Hitler? Robert Mugabe? Leonid Brezhnev? Augusto Pinochet? Leopoldo Galtieri? No. All fine as long as it means money for the club.

How about El Chappo Guzman? I'm sure he's not a Commie. or a Brexiteer. That should be OK.

Union Carbide! How about them. Not done us any harm.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 13, 2019, 11:41pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Ipswin

A nice story but the occasion on which this really happened was when James Callaghan took over from Reginald Maudling following Wilsons election victory. The Tories left a defcit of £800,000,000

And took us into the Common Market and signed up to the CFP!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, November 13, 2019, 11:59pm; Reply: 137
Love you Kingston ✊🏻
Posted by: gaz57, November 14, 2019, 1:41am; Reply: 138

Oh! Last resort of the desperate!. Not a Town fan because they don't want the club earning a few quid from someone like Farage. I appreciate you might not agree with me on him and his cause. I get that. But which definition of 'fan' are you working from? Is any politician allowed to book the facilities at BP just because it means money for the club? Are we not allowed to draw any line?

As I said in another post, personally I don't think ANY political party should be allowed to. But to accuse someone of being a 'so-called" Town fan because on principle (rightly or wrongly) they disagreed with a source of money.

Who is out of bounds? Pol Pot? Adolf Hitler? Robert Mugabe? Leonid Brezhnev? Augusto Pinochet? Leopoldo Galtieri? No. All fine as long as it means money for the club.

How about El Chappo Guzman? I'm sure he's not a Commie. or a Brexiteer. That should be OK.

Agree, isn't it funny how the Tories like to call Corbyn a commie when their party is financed by the Russians. Should it be commie Johnson?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 14, 2019, 3:13am; Reply: 139
Quoted from gaz57

Agree, isn't it funny how the Tories like to call Corbyn a commie when their party is financed by the Russians. Should it be commie Johnson?

Well he is a flipping moron.

About the death of IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

"I have only seen various statements put out by the US about it...surely that would have been the right thing to do. If we want to live in a world of peace and justice we should practice it as well."
Posted by: wuffing, November 14, 2019, 7:45am; Reply: 140
Reported on Radio Humberside this morning: Farage at Blundell Park for Brexit  Party Conference!
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 7:58am; Reply: 141

Listen chum, he may have only been in charge of something that covered your part of the country for 5 minutes, but I was a resident of the city he was mayor of for 8 years. The guy's a muppet, a chancer, a comedian. I'd have a laugh with him in the pub over a few pints but I wouldn't leave him in charge of my cat.

You lot voted him in as mayor-Chum-and then again-Chum
Posted by: Maringer, November 14, 2019, 10:44am; Reply: 142
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well he is a flipping moron.

About the death of IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

"I have only seen various statements put out by the US about it...surely that would have been the right thing to do. If we want to live in a world of peace and justice we should practice it as well."

Putting criminals on trial? What a crazy concept! Al-Baghdadi was certainly an appalling excuse for a human being but once you start trying to ignore the rule of law, it's a slippery slope.

A few of his young kids were apparently killed in the raid - collateral damage, I suppose? (I know the Yanks say he blew himself up, killing the children himself and it may well be the case, but I wouldn't put my money on it being the truth.)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 143
Quoted from golfer

You lot voted him in as mayor-Chum-and then again-Chum

Don't mention democracy - they seem to think when they lose it is really what the majority want! Like you say, he was sooo bad they voted him in twice in the most Labour leaning city in the UK.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 10:57am; Reply: 144

It is you that is getting desperate I'm afraid.

You are trying to equate Farage who is the leader of a British political party which won the last UK wide election, to some despots around the world.
Posted by: Perkins, November 14, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 145
Quoted from wuffing
Reported on Radio Humberside this morning: Farage at Blundell Park for Brexit  Party Conference!

That's why this thread has been running for the last two days.
Posted by: mimma, November 14, 2019, 11:50am; Reply: 146
So we now know who the mysterious rolls Royce belongs to.

Farage
Posted by: LH, November 14, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from Maringer

Putting criminals on trial? What a crazy concept! Al-Baghdadi was certainly an appalling excuse for a human being but once you start trying to ignore the rule of law, it's a slippery slope.

A few of his young kids were apparently killed in the raid - collateral damage, I suppose? (I know the Yanks say he blew himself up, killing the children himself and it may well be the case, but I wouldn't put my money on it being the truth.)

Err no. The only answer is killing people. Be that terrorists, using nuclear weapons or continually voting in austere policies.
Posted by: Maringer, November 14, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 148
You have to say, the Tories have done a great job over the past decade:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

Imagine being diagnosed with cancer and urgently referred but then having to wait over 2 months to start treatment? Must be hellish.

Bevan was right - lower than vermin.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 14, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from golfer

As you well know "short selling" is illegal in certain cases in this country and to make it legal a law would have to be passed. I don't for one minute think this would be passed in parliament even though the government did try to persuade the EU not to ban it. It would be a conflict of interest and carry a custodial sentence

So here's another example;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/26/nigel-farage-raemain-won-brexit-bloomberg

Crispin Odey alone made £220m that night. He doesn't hide that fact. It's only illegal if there's inside trading (I think this example is illegal but it's hard to prove.

If you want to tell me I'm talking codswallop at least come back with something sensible.
Posted by: wuffing, November 14, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Was heading through the BP car park yesterday and noticed a 19 plate Rolls Royce Phantom parked up in the middle, with an unknown bloke being walked to his car with JF holding a few binders. Obviously unsure who the guy was, but with all takeover talk quieting down recently, could this be something different? It definitely wasn’t Mr Shutes! Might be clutching at straws and it’s only a car, but not every day that kind of motor is seen in Grimsby! Wondered if anyone else was at the shop/offices and saw anything/anyone? UTM!

From ONLY £363,000

Vote Brexit party....maybe he can upgrade to the deluxe model!! :'(

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 14, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 151

If all those dead people wanted to hire Blundell Park the club would make thousands with all the ewido's  coming from all over the world  ;D
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 3:24pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from gtfc98

So here's another example;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/26/nigel-farage-raemain-won-brexit-bloomberg

Crispin Odey alone made £220m that night. He doesn't hide that fact. It's only illegal if there's inside trading (I think this example is illegal but it's hard to prove.

If you want to tell me I'm talking codswallop at least come back with something sensible.

The Guardian  :K) :K) :K) :K)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Maringer

Imagine being diagnosed with cancer and urgently referred but then having to wait over 2 months to start treatment? Must be hellish.

I don't have to imagine it, I flipping experienced it!

Posted by: Marinerz93, November 14, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from AdamHaddock

It means we won't be dictated to by these Brussels bureaucrats. We'll be dictated to by corporate America lobbyists instead

When the Polish MEP Róża Thun was elected five years ago, she thought the job would be fairly straightforward. She hadn't reckoned with the lobbyists.

Take mobile phone charges. She saw the fact that EU citizens pay eye-watering sums in other EU states as an anomaly that needed fixing. But it wasn't that simple. "We had telephone companies and lobbyists who started to invade us," she recalls. "They obviously didn't want to reduce roaming charges because it would hit them in the pocket."

To stroll around the vast, ugly and permanent building site that is Brussels' European district is to brush up against the power of the lobbies. Every office block, every glass and steel construction within a kilometre of the European commission, council and parliament is peopled by Europe's biggest corporate names.

Thousands of companies, banks, law firms, PR consultancies and trade associations are there to bend ears and influence the regulations and laws that shape Europe's single market, fix trade deals, and govern economic and commercial behaviour in a union of 507 million.

Lobbying is a billion-euro industry in Brussels. According to Corporate Europe Observatory, a watchdog campaigning for greater transparency, there are at least 30,000 lobbyists in Brussels, nearly matching the 31,000 staff employed by the European commission and making it second only to Washington in the concentration of those seeking to affect legislation. Lobbyists sign a transparency register run by the parliament and the commission, though it is not mandatory.

By some estimates, they influence 75% of legislation. In principle, lobbyists give politicians information and arguments during the decision-making process. In practice, the corridors of the parliament often teem with individuals, who meet MEPs in their offices or in open spaces such as the "Mickey Mouse bar" (nicknamed so because of the shape of its seats) inside the parliament.

They explain their concerns, provide a "position paper", and send in suggestions for amendments to legislative proposals. Of course, the final decision is taken by MEPs. But examples are legion of the tail wagging the dog.

Lobbying is such a crucial part of the climate in Brussels that it has spawned manuals, a documentary (Who Really Runs the EU?) and even "the worst lobby awards". Not surprisingly, the biggest movers and shakers agitate for the biggest industries with the most to gain – and lose – from European legislation.

Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 155
17 Romanians arrested in London on charges involving 29 women of Slavery, prostitution,drugs and firearms offences-another reason why we have to get Brexit done through Johnson or Farage. The other lot are a waste of space.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from golfer
17 Romanians arrested in London on charges involving 29 women of Slavery, prostitution,drugs and firearms offences-another reason why we have to get Brexit done through Johnson or Farage. The other lot are a waste of space.

British people also commit crimes overseas. Based on that contorted and myopic logic nobody with a British passport should ever be permitted to travel to another country for work.
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 157
Name 1 instance where a crime like this has been committed in Europe by British people
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from Maringer

Isn't it correct that the Conservative governments have put more money in than Labour ever did?

Grotesque population growths and people living much longer are very difficult problems to overcome. If Labour has any solutions let us all know.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 14, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Chrisblor

British people also commit crimes overseas. Based on that contorted and myopic logic nobody with a British passport should ever be permitted to travel to another country for work.

Quoted from golfer
Name 1 instance where a crime like this has been committed in Europe by British people

Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 160
According to the Government's own Migration Advisory Committee there's no evidence that migration affects the overall level of crime in the UK (source on p109 here - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/741926/Final_EEA_report.PDF).

"Getting brexit done" won't reduce crime, so why are you cherry picking an example of Romanians offending in this country? Racism? Xenophobia? Ignorance? What is it?
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 161

Isn't it correct that the Conservative governments have put more money in than Labour ever did?

Grotesque population growths and people living much longer are very difficult problems to overcome. If Labour has any solutions let us all know.

Because of inflation, technically yes, but in real terms controlling for inflation, certainly not. Healthcare expenditure per person has fallen under the Tories and so has the percentage of overall government spending on healthcare.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 14, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 162
What we want to know now is has the Rolls returned tonight ?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from Chrisblor

Because of inflation, technically yes, but in real terms controlling for inflation, certainly not. Healthcare expenditure per person has fallen under the Tories and so has the percentage of overall government spending on healthcare.

...And the Labour solution?

Don't worry too much, we know they haven't got one and it is all the evil Tories fault.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 164

...And the Labour solution?

Don't worry too much, we know they haven't got one and it is all the evil Tories fault.

You can read it in detail here you terminal bore - https://labour.org.uk/page/labours-nhs-rescue-plan/
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 165
Have just read the detail as supplied by Mr. Chrisblore it is laughable and reminds me of when I asked the grandkids what they would spend their money on when they started getting pocket money
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 166
ok boomer
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 167
No cause to be derogatory
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from Chrisblor

You can read it in detail here you terminal bore - https://labour.org.uk/page/labours-nhs-rescue-plan/

I know its tough when people don't share your views. Thanks for the information though, lets see if voters think Labour has the answers.
Posted by: mariner91, November 14, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 169

I know its tough when people don't share your views. Thanks for the information though, lets see if voters think Labour has the answers.

So you either think the Tories, who have overseen the decline in NHS performance, have the answer now despite not doing so for the last 9 years OR you're quite happy for healthcare in this country to continue to struggle. Which one is it? And if it's the former, what is their answer when they've failed so miserably already?

And don't tell me there aren't problems in the NHS, I work in A+E.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 14, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 170
Nige enjoying a cuppa

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 14, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from mariner91

So you either think the Tories, who have overseen the decline in NHS performance, have the answer now despite not doing so for the last 9 years OR you're quite happy for healthcare in this country to continue to struggle. Which one is it? And if it's the former, what is their answer when they've failed so miserably already?

And don't tell me there aren't problems in the NHS, I work in A+E.

I would have thought it blindingly obvious that the NHS will struggle whichever party is in power.

Too many patients, too many people living longer with multiple medical conditions; it needs a major overhaul which neither party will countenance because it is politically toxic.    
Posted by: mariner91, November 14, 2019, 10:40pm; Reply: 172

I would have thought it blindingly obvious that the NHS will struggle whichever party is in power.

Too many patients, too many people living longer with multiple medical conditions; it needs a major overhaul which neither party will countenance because it is politically toxic.    

Of course it's a big ask but there are different degrees of struggling. In virtually any measurable parameter it is doing worse now than it was 9 years ago. But evidently that doesn't bother you.
Posted by: Maringer, November 14, 2019, 11:35pm; Reply: 173

Are you playing Devil's Advocate or are you really just being wilfully ignorant to support your political leanings? Serious question.

I've been posting on here about the Coalition/Tory underfunding of the NHS for years now. We've got an aging population and need to deal with all the healthcare issues that entails. Here's an easy to understand chart about what has occurred since 2010:

Further reading in the following link which, let's not forget, dates back to 2015:

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2015/10/nhs-spending-squeezed-never

At a point where we have needed to spend more on healthcare simply due to the demographics of the aging population the Tories have been spending a proportionally smaller amount. That was a political choice, as was raising the higher rate of taxation (which helps the wealthy) and raising the lower threshold for tax (which, counterintuitively mostly helps the wealthy). And the thing is, they knew that more money would need to be spent on healthcare - it's blindingly obvious and all the research shows it is required. Yet still they made the cuts. Those who believe the Tory claims that they don't want to privatise the NHS are missing the wood for the trees, especially now the 'Britannia Unchained' mob are somehow in government.

Honestly, I'm flabbergasted anybody can seriously respond to a news report about the impending collapse of NHS services (and that's what we're seeing) by ignoring the cause of the problems i.e. Tory underspending and then attempt to deflect and claim there aren't isn't any obvious way to improve the situation when there is. SPEND MORE FECKING MONEY ON THE COUNTRY'S HEALTHCARE. Just what the Labour Party (and many others) have been saying for the past decade. Train more doctors and nurses instead of stealing them from poorer countries, don't cut the bursaries to make it incredibly expensive for nurses to train, don't freeze then cap the pay of NHS workers for 7 years which makes the average worker £2,000 worse off in real terms than back in 2010. It's not bloody rocket science. If you can afford to give the wealthy tax cuts, you can afford to spend more on the nation's healthcare.

It's only the dedication and unpaid work of those within the NHS which has held it off until now, but we nearly got there last winter and it was only the fact that there were few serious influenza outbreaks which kept it just about going then. We may not be so lucky this year.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 15, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 174
I think this actually has legs.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), November 16, 2019, 10:52am; Reply: 175
All I want out of this election is for the SNP to field a candidate in mid Northants, I’d definitely vote for them.  How is it possible to have a group of MP’s voting on the future of something they don’t want to be part of?
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 16, 2019, 11:29am; Reply: 176
NHS budgets are one thing and easy to cry that budgets are being cut but look how much of GDP is still being spent, you want a true reflection of what is happening with NHS break down the costs, Maringer bleats on about an aging population but what about the unnecessary costs of the drugs / methadone and some cosmetic surgery that is being drained out of the NHS resources pot. Then the mega wages of some doctors / consultants and other managers, you can argue you want the best you pay the price but there needs to be a wage ceiling on all posts in the NHS, and a more flexability in sourcing equipment and drugs the NHS uses, I have worked in a hospital for 3 years fixing medical and dental equipment from X-ray machines, blood gas analysers to little sister sterilisers. It isn't always the budget but how it is managed and spent this is the current biggest failure of the NHS, it's mismanagement and being bled dry from people at the top.

My solution to costs to NHS concerning drug users is jail them until they have gone through cold turkey, not sure how long that takes but they have put themselves in that position, reap what you sow.

Additionally talking about budgets show how labour supported the forces during it's governance, please include pay increases too, you won't though will you.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 17, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 177
Jailing all drug users to save money is just genius. Have you got your costings?
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 178
Never argue with a fool Rodley.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 17, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Jailing all drug users to save money is just genius. Have you got your costings?

Cost of a bivvy and £1.50 food allowance a day, cheap as chips. What is the cost of Methadone and other drug treatment?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 17, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from chaos33
Never argue with a fool Rodley.

I know you're right but it's hard to completely ignore him when he spouts stuff as moronic as this!
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Marinerz93

Cost of a bivvy and £1.50 food allowance a day, cheap as chips. What is the cost of Methadone and other drug treatment?

It currently costs the country £37,543 per year for each person in prison.
Posted by: Maringer, November 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from Marinerz93

Probably not too much, but then the cost of keeping somebody in prison is tens of thousands a year. You silly sodomist.

Quoted from Marinerz93
NHS budgets are one thing and easy to cry that budgets are being cut but look how much of GDP is still being spent, you want a true reflection of what is happening with NHS break down the costs, Maringer bleats on about an aging population but what about the unnecessary costs of the drugs / methadone and some cosmetic surgery that is being drained out of the NHS resources pot. Then the mega wages of some doctors / consultants and other managers, you can argue you want the best you pay the price but there needs to be a wage ceiling on all posts in the NHS, and a more flexability in sourcing equipment and drugs the NHS uses, I have worked in a hospital for 3 years fixing medical and dental equipment from X-ray machines, blood gas analysers to little sister sterilisers. It isn't always the budget but how it is managed and spent this is the current biggest failure of the NHS, it's mismanagement and being bled dry from people at the top.

Has a smaller portion of GDP been spent on healthcare under the Tories (including the coalition)? Yes, as the diagram I linked clearly showed.
Is the general population aging rapidly? Yes.
Do the aged cost more to keep in acceptable health? Yes.
Is the amount of expenditure on medication and other treatments going up? Yes.
Is this because of the ever-aging population and new treatments for illnesses which were once death sentences? Yes, of course it is.
Does methadone take up a large part of the NHS budget? Nope.
Does giving methadone to an addict save the country the greater costs of the criminality usually required to pay for heroin? Yup.
Does cosmetic surgery take up a large part of the NHS budget? Nope.

No easy cures here. If your population is aging, you've got to pay to look after them. This is far and away the biggest issue and it is impossible not to increase expenditure greatly if it is going to be dealt with. Some of the Tories possibly thought that opening up the NHS to competition would automagically improve things because that's standard right-winger belief. They simply don't get the fact that a natural monopoly will benefit much more from economies of scale and creating a false market doesn't do anything but create more inefficiencies. Of course, many other Tories know the truth but simply want to cash in when bits of the NHS get sold off. People such as Virginia Bottomley and Andrew Lansley, for example (both former Tory Health Secretaries) though not sure yet if Hunt (Bottomley's cousin, believe it or not who 'inherited' her seat in parliament) has got his snout in the trough yet. Won't be long now, if he hasn't.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 17, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Maringer

Probably not too much, but then the cost of keeping somebody in prison is tens of thousands a year. You silly sodomist.

Has a smaller portion of GDP been spent on healthcare under the Tories (including the coalition)? Yes, as the diagram I linked clearly showed.
Is the general population aging rapidly? Yes.
Do the aged cost more to keep in acceptable health? Yes.
Is the amount of expenditure on medication and other treatments going up? Yes.
Is this because of the ever-aging population and new treatments for illnesses which were once death sentences? Yes, of course it is.
Does methadone take up a large part of the NHS budget? Nope.
Does giving methadone to an addict save the country the greater costs of the criminality usually required to pay for heroin? Yup.
Does cosmetic surgery take up a large part of the NHS budget? Nope.

No easy cures here. If your population is aging, you've got to pay to look after them. This is far and away the biggest issue and it is impossible not to increase expenditure greatly if it is going to be dealt with. Some of the Tories possibly thought that opening up the NHS to competition would automagically improve things because that's standard right-winger belief. They simply don't get the fact that a natural monopoly will benefit much more from economies of scale and creating a false market doesn't do anything but create more inefficiencies. Of course, many other Tories know the truth but simply want to cash in when bits of the NHS get sold off. People such as Virginia Bottomley and Andrew Lansley, for example (both former Tory Health Secretaries) though not sure yet if Hunt (Bottomley's cousin, believe it or not who 'inherited' her seat in parliament) has got his snout in the trough yet. Won't be long now, if he hasn't.

Across England and Wales, it cost an average of £37,543 a year to keep a prisoner in jail. Who said the jail had to have hot running water, TV's and comfy beds, games rooms. They'll get gruel to eat and a bivvy to sleep under the stars, two weeks should be enough time to do cold turkey.

It is estimated that half of all recorded crime is drug related, with associated costs to the criminal justice system in the UK estimated at over £1 billion per annum. and there are estimates of around 306,000 heroin and / or crack users in England, with around 200,000 of them in treatment in any one year. That is a lot of theft, burglary, fraud or shoplifting if all are stealing to pay for things, over £2 billion in good stolen goods.

It is an expensive business: in 2014 the former National Treatment Agency (NTA) estimated the cost to the NHS of treating drug misuse at around £500m a year.  I can't find a more up to date costs to NHS.

So with the justice system costs and NHS costs and stolen goods costs, that's £3.5 billion, So sleeping under a bivvy in the elements and going through cold turkey for a couple of weeks, I wonder what the reoffending rate would be.

The GDP spent on NHS may be getting smaller but it is still considreably higher than when Labour had the reigns, it's how the money is being spent and how the NHS is being managed.
Posted by: Maringer, November 18, 2019, 7:22am; Reply: 184
Quoted Text
It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

If you don't fancy living in a civilised society in which citizens have both rights and responsibilities, then urine off elsewhere. Otherwise, you need to accept that we need to treat prisoners well and provide care for those with problems of addition.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 185
Would it be cheaper to hang them and then burn them on a bonfire,

Cost =  length of rope + a match

For those without a sense of humour it was a joke   ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 19, 2019, 1:56pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from grimsby pete
Would it be cheaper to hang them and then burn them on a bonfire,

Cost =  length of rope + a match

For those without a sense of humour it was a joke   ;D

Made me laugh Pete..... but I do have a bit of a sick sense of humour  ;)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:47pm