Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner55, May 10, 2019, 11:05am
Conor Washington, just released by Sheffield United.  Scoring record somewhat inflated by 80 games/54 goals at St Ives Town but may do the business in League 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Washington
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 1
Decent record in League 1 at Peterborough. Played against us for Newport in the playoffs.
Posted by: davmariner, May 10, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 2
He’ll get a League 1 club no problem.
Posted by: mariner91, May 10, 2019, 11:53am; Reply: 3
There is literally no chance of us signing him.
Posted by: fiveallive, May 10, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 4
No chance of him coming here, we can't afford his wages.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mariner55
Conor Washington, just released by Sheffield United.  Scoring record somewhat inflated by 80 games/54 goals at St Ives Town but may do the business in League 2:

great spot mariner55 - i'm sure he could do a job at league 2 and i'm equally sure that fenty is dusting off his cheque book as i type in order to pay his £10-£15k a week wages

where's FFS when you need him?
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 10, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 6
Agree with Forza, his very basic will be £5 grand a week and could be nearer to £10 grand, him and his agent will not want to take too much of a pay cut to play league 2.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 10, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 7
If we are going to be linked with looking at players already,  for no other reason than they are  out of contact with their club.   It’s gonna be a long old close season on here !!
Posted by: Stadium, May 10, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner55

Give your head a wobble.
Posted by: bawarmy, May 11, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 9
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/premier-league-efl-retained-lists-2837975

Any realistic targets on this early list of released players?
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 11, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from bawarmy

Players are released for various reasons, but 1 of them is not because he is young with a good footballing brain and pace with ability. So accept that whoever comes in it will mainly be because he has failed at his previous club.
Posted by: Meza, May 11, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Gaffer58

Players are released for various reasons, but 1 of them is not because he is young with a good footballing brain and pace with ability. So accept that whoever comes in it will mainly be because he has failed at his previous club.

or the new manager wants his own team, not all players are useless, some are let go because they were signed by the previous regime.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, May 11, 2019, 6:58pm; Reply: 12
I know we we’ve a pretty young front line on the books at the moment but how about a loan for this kid https://www.hullcitytigers.com/lewis-potter-proud-to-be-named-academy-player-of-the-year/
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 13
I think James Keatings would be worth taking a look at. Has had health problems but remember him playing for Hibs. Can get stuck in and has a good right foot
Posted by: coddy60, May 12, 2019, 8:29am; Reply: 14
Quoted from bawarmy

Yeah,Charlie Adam, Josh Mceachran, Tommy Spurr and Ched Evans 🤞🤣
Posted by: Garth, May 12, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 15
Or the old chestnut Arthur Scargill
Posted by: Mallyner, May 12, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Garth

You are digging deep there.  :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 12, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 17
Quoted from bawarmy

Jonathon Obika
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, May 12, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from golfer
I think James Keatings would be worth taking a look at. Has had health problems but remember him playing for Hibs. Can get stuck in and has a good right foot

I reckon I'd look good playing for Hibs.

Posted by: RichMariner, May 12, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 19
The disparity in wages between leagues is growing all the time. A back-up Championship player released this summer will be on 5x more than we can pay.

A League 1 player released (presumably because they couldn't cut the mustard at that level) will be on more than we can pay. That's not to say they wouldn't be interested in joining us, but can you imagine how hard it must be to go from earning, say, £2,500 a week to something closer to £1,000?

There comes a time in the summer when players need to make those decisions, and some have no choice if interest in them is scarce. The manager has a real job on his hands to motivate these players given the significant drop in salary.

Then you look at non-league. Guys who are playing week in, week out, for something like £600 a week. Then they get their chance in the FL for a bit more money - suddenly the motivation to play for your salary is one less thing for a manager to worry about.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 12, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Garth

Possibly the best striker of all time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 12, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimsby pete

Nah, he had one good season. Red Robbo was consistent for several years.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 12, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from RichMariner
The disparity in wages between leagues is growing all the time. A back-up Championship player released this summer will be on 5x more than we can pay.

A League 1 player released (presumably because they couldn't cut the mustard at that level) will be on more than we can pay. That's not to say they wouldn't be interested in joining us, but can you imagine how hard it must be to go from earning, say, £2,500 a week to something closer to £1,000?

There comes a time in the summer when players need to make those decisions, and some have no choice if interest in them is scarce. The manager has a real job on his hands to motivate these players given the significant drop in salary.

Then you look at non-league. Guys who are playing week in, week out, for something like £600 a week. Then they get their chance in the FL for a bit more money - suddenly the motivation to play for your salary is one less thing for a manager to worry about.

Know a lad who as on £10k p.w. Whilst playing reserve football for a  Prem team, moved to Bolton in the championship and he certainly didn't take a pay cut! Another friend moved to creepy Crawley for that far Scottish c@nt for £5k p.w.
Posted by: golfer, May 12, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

Surely if you are only on £600 a week the government will make it up. It's inhuman if they wont.
Posted by: jaygy, May 12, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 24
Some players in non league can be on £600 a week part time whilst also holding down a regular job too so to take a one year contract in the football league just isn’t attractive for them. I believe we’ve had that dilemma with a player before?
Posted by: moosey_club, May 12, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bobby Sands ?
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 12, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from moosey_club

Bobby Sands ?

;D

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4oo3uJM.gif[/img]
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 12, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

Bobby Sands ?

Nah.

Fcuking lightweight 😉

Posted by: Posh Harry, May 12, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 28
Reminds me of the old joke

What’s the difference between bobby sands and a ping pong ball?

About 4 ounces

😎
Posted by: Spatchcock, May 12, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 29
[quote=120966]Reminds me of the old joke

What’s the difference between bobby sands and a ping pong ball?

About 4 ounces

😎[/quote

When I went in my first tour of Northern Ireland in 1994 with the Paras the lads when on patrol would often leave a ham sandwich on Bobby Sands gravestone 🤣🤣🤣
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2019, 1:09am; Reply: 30
Quoted from moosey_club

Bobby Sands ?

Nah, he just never had that hunger.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 13, 2019, 2:25am; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Nah, he just never had that hunger.

And starved of service
Posted by: AidansArmy99, May 13, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from golfer

He's gone to Inverness anyway
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 5:10pm