Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2019, 9:23am
Set to be the New scunts manager. Good Appointment
Posted by: psgmariner, May 10, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 1
That will make the derby even tastier.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 10, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 2
Toto and Nolan will never take a pay cut to go there.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 10, 2019, 9:26am; Reply: 3
That should make for a lively fixture !!!

Should Town be winning I'm sure the Scunts will be reminded that they're fcuking spoilt  ;)  UTM
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 10, 2019, 9:35am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Hagrid

That`s something to look forward to PH cupping his ears to the Grimsby crowd again and a proper Derby atmosphere!!!!!

I think he will get an even more hostile reception than Sir Alan Buckley got with WBA all those year`s ago and this time around not sure he won`t deserve the earache? I just hope Jolley keeps his nerve and utilises the hostile crowd to our team`s advantage a right fast start required whilst PH worries about keeping us shape and such . :) UTM
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 10, 2019, 9:44am; Reply: 5
Didn't know they'd sackef thier manager
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 10, 2019, 10:03am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Hagrid

You mean it's closer to Rotherham? ;D

Well, if this turns pear shaped he won't be able to blame the budget.

Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 10, 2019, 10:09am; Reply: 7
I hate to say it but that's a top seven finish in the bag for scunny
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2019, 10:17am; Reply: 8
Quoted from AdamHaddock

wouldn't say its in the bag Adam, but they've given themselves a damn good chance with that appointment
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 10, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 9
Quoted from forza ivano

wouldn't say its in the bag Adam, but they've given themselves a damn good chance with that appointment

Teams that come down SHOULD be amongst the favourites to go back up and Scunny will have a decent budget.Ex Grimsby Manager though and a slow start their fan`s will be on him like a pack of wolves they make Town fan`s seem like a patient bunch when you hear them bleating on Hullberside.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, May 10, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 10
Could be another Brian Laws situation. We train ‘em up and they get the best of out them
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 10, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 11
Quoted from 1mickylyons

That`s something to look forward to PH cupping his ears to the Grimsby crowd again and a proper Derby atmosphere!!!!!

I think he will get an even more hostile reception than Sir Alan Buckley got with WBA all those year`s ago and this time around not sure he won`t deserve the earache? I just hope Jolley keeps his nerve and utilises the hostile crowd to our team`s advantage a right fast start required whilst PH worries about keeping us shape and such . :) UTM

Be a bit odd really.

Hurst, whilst splitting the fan base during his time here, didn't really leave under a cloud.  A lot of people, myself included, felt it was the right time for him to go and that we needed someone else in to freshen things up/take us onto the next level.

He never returned here to raid the dressing room and as more and more things have emerged since his departure, it feels like he was more than justified in wanting to go elsewhere because of the constraints placed on him from the boardroom - despite his desire to move us up to the next level in terms of infrastructure.

Buckley on the other hand wasted little time in coming back to Blundell Park to take half the team with him, which annoyed a lot of people.  I seem to think he made some quite disparaging remarks about the club and also developed a bit of a rivalry with Brian Laws too.  

Not sure how I would react to Hurst coming back here to be honest, it'll add an extra bit of spice I guess but it's hardly a grudge return is it?  If people genuinely got upset about the ear-cupping thing and are still holding onto it, they might want to let go at some point...
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 10, 2019, 10:46am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Teams that come down SHOULD be amongst the favourites to go back up and Scunny will have a decent budget.Ex Grimsby Manager though and a slow start their fan`s will be on him like a pack of wolves they make Town fan`s seem like a patient bunch when you hear them bleating on Hullberside.

What all 2500 of them ?!!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 10, 2019, 10:59am; Reply: 13
That’s us not winning scunny next season
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 10, 2019, 11:00am; Reply: 14
Quoted from OllieGTFC
That’s us not winning scunny next season

No, it'll be 1-1 like 60% of their games.
Posted by: rancido, May 10, 2019, 11:02am; Reply: 15
Quoted from AdamHaddock

If his time here is anything to go by, he will do well until Jan/Feb and then start to tail off.
Posted by: nightrider, May 10, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 16
0-0
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 10, 2019, 11:18am; Reply: 17
Quoted from diehardmariner

Be a bit odd really.

Hurst, whilst splitting the fan base during his time here, didn't really leave under a cloud.  A lot of people, myself included, felt it was the right time for him to go and that we needed someone else in to freshen things up/take us onto the next level.

He never returned here to raid the dressing room and as more and more things have emerged since his departure, it feels like he was more than justified in wanting to go elsewhere because of the constraints placed on him from the boardroom - despite his desire to move us up to the next level in terms of infrastructure.

Buckley on the other hand wasted little time in coming back to Blundell Park to take half the team with him, which annoyed a lot of people.  I seem to think he made some quite disparaging remarks about the club and also developed a bit of a rivalry with Brian Laws too.  

Not sure how I would react to Hurst coming back here to be honest, it'll add an extra bit of spice I guess but it's hardly a grudge return is it?  If people genuinely got upset about the ear-cupping thing and are still holding onto it, they might want to let go at some point...

You make some valid points but PH was never ever universally popular with the GTFC fanbase even when things were going well , Shrewsbury at one time had Henderson,Toto,Nolan,Lewis and another attacker who`s name escapes me in the starting eleven plus Danny Coyne at the Club along with Hurst and Sniffer Doig
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2019, 11:39am; Reply: 18
Rodman did well for the Shrews (and for us, for that matter).
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 10, 2019, 11:42am; Reply: 19
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You make some valid points but PH was never ever universally popular with the GTFC fanbase even when things were going well , Shrewsbury at one time had Henderson,Toto,Nolan,Lewis and another attacker who`s name escapes me in the starting eleven plus Danny Coyne at the Club along with Hurst and Sniffer Doig

No he wasn't, he definitely was the Marmite man here.  As said, I thought it was the right time for him to go.

But all of those players you mentioned, he never poached from us.

Henderson had already gone back to Manchester United, after Bignot quite literally pushed him under a moving bus according to Aaron.
Toto had gone to Hartlepool.
Nolan to Chesterfield
LJL - Newport?

Danny Coyne had no association with GTFC when Hurst was here and was already at Shrewsbury for 3 years before Hurst arrived.

Don't get me wrong, there will be a bit of needle there and if nothing else it'll add a real fiery element to what should be a decent atmosphere anyway.  But I can't imagine how it would be anything like the Buckley return.  That was really intense, it was personal because he had come back to the club and taken so many of our players.  
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 10, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 20
If he does go there, then with him being interviewed weekly on RH, it will be interesting to be able to keep a closer eye on him than was possible during his last two stints. Mainly to see if he's developed in terms of being able to accept a bit of responsibility and whether or not he can take criticism from fans without snidey little digs back at them. I can't imagine he really had to deal with this at Shrewsbury as he was pretty much on one massive long honeymoon period and then his time at Ipswich was cut so short that it's difficult to take anything from.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 10, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 21
If the club back him they will be a force to consider next seseon,

BUT

If the board back MJ we will be a force as well.

Should be an interestinfg season for both of us.

Posted by: scrumble, May 10, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 22
If Carlsberg made derbys.....
Posted by: ROKERITE, May 10, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
If the club back him they will be a force to consider next seseon,

BUT

If the board back MJ we will be a force as well.

Should be an interestinfg season for both of us.

I'd rather have Jolley with money to spend than Hurst with money to spend.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ROKERITE

I'd rather have Jolley with money to spend than Hurst with money to spend.

why!? hurst got some great players in on FREE's, only ever had money with bogle
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 25
And Berrett  ;)
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 10, 2019, 1:08pm; Reply: 26
Darrell Clarke has got the Walsall job
Posted by: ROKERITE, May 10, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Darrell Clarke has got the Walsall job

An excellent appointment for them but I thought he'd a good chance of getting the Plymouth job. He's unlikely to have much money to spend with The Saddlers.

Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, May 10, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 28
When are we ever going to stop this f*****g obsession with Paul Hurst ?

F***S Sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move on everybody, he was bang average at best and we have had FAR better managers than him in the past and will continue to have in the future !
Posted by: devs, May 10, 2019, 1:41pm; Reply: 29
Hurst was/is a top manager at this level
He cupped his ear in a split second of emotion and he probably regrets it - but FFS can't some of you grow up and move on!
I will applaud him when he returns to GTFC (assuming he gets Scunny job) and then hope we thrash his team

The 'ear-cup' moaners do honestly sound like petulant 8 year olds who've had their favourite toy taken off them

Be positive and give thanks for second best manager of past 30 years... after Lenny Lawrence

Joke... before someone says anything
We all know it's Nicky Law
Posted by: ROKERITE, May 10, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from devs

Is he? He only managed a few matches at League Two level before upping sticks for Salop. If he gets the Scunny job his prowess, or lack of it, will become evident.

Posted by: Son of Cod, May 10, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
When are we ever going to stop this f*****g obsession with Paul Hurst ?

F***S Sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move on everybody, he was bang average at best and we have had FAR better managers than him in the past and will continue to have in the future !

Any ex-boss taking over at Scunny is big news and deserving of its own thread, surely?

Quoted from devs
He cupped his ear in a split second of emotion and he probably regrets it

Nah, he did that interview on NTT20 last season and it didn't come across like he regretted that at all. I think he might have even brought it up (or a similar incident) himself, without being asked about it.
Posted by: devs, May 10, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 32
We were 8th when he left - going along very nicely with one of lowest budgets in the league
He took Shrews from bottom of L1 (5/6 pts adrift) to two Wembley finals and narrowly missed out on promotion to Championship... yes, he lost both before some clever bottom reminds me, but there are many managers who wouldn't have achieved either
I think that is evidence he's a 'top' manager at this level - and an established Championship club thought so as well (and that didn't work out, I admit...not on his own there...but is 13 games enough time to totally transform a club?)

The main point is not whether he regrets #earcupgate - it was passion and can we all not move on FFS!!

Bit like a dressing room bust up - things are said in heat of moment; we all calm down; shake hands; move on...but it seems like that is not possible with some on here
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, May 10, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Son of Cod

Any ex-boss taking over at Scunny is big news and deserving of its own thread, surely?

Nah, he did that interview on NTT20 last season and it didn't come across like he regretted that at all. I think he might have even brought it up (or a similar incident) himself, without being asked about it.

Look forward not backwards, take the best from the past but don't live in it !
Posted by: RoboCod, May 10, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 34
He'll stop their slide down the divisions but, all said and done, he's a prickly little character and right now Scunny's chairman seems to be a fair old larger than life, tell it how it is prickly character.

Could be fun if the pressure cranks up,sacking McCall was a terrible, unnecessary decision for me, not impossible for Hurst to gather a similar set of results.
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from forza ivano

Why didn't we think of him ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 10, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 36
With his track record I can not see Swann giving Hurst 6years to get them promoted,

Seeing as it is a lot easier to go up from this division he might do it in 2 the same as us under MJ.
Posted by: devs, May 10, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 37
Sacking Alexander was their most stupid decision - got everything they deserved
They are top end L2 in terms of crowd and fan base but hovering around (and getting in) L1 play offs two seasons running (three?) was apparently not good enough
He was a victim of the ridiculous over-hyped football world we live in and chairmen/fans with delusions of grandeur - never quite happy with what they've got

I want Fylde to beat Salford (same reasons as not liking FGR) but it would be sweet for GA if he got City promoted - they would be in same division as Scunny
Posted by: geir, May 10, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 38

I`m checking media but there is no mention of Hurst being manager of Scunthorpe?
There is nothing on their official site either? I think they are quite surprised by this news in Scunthorpe...

And while I`m very grateful for Hurst giving me a wonderful moment at Wembley in the play-off final a few years back, it has to be said that he was very unpopular among the staff (paid and unpaid) at Blundell Park. He was very cold towards them and didn`t, for most of the time, even recognise their existence.
Inside information from people at Blundell Park tell me that Jolley is the complete opposite of Hurst.
Personally I judge people by their actions, and I don`t approve of a boss who doesn`t acknowledge their employees and volunteers by not giving them attention or a pat on the back sometimes.
That`s why I hope that Jolley will be successful at our club - he deserves it on personality alone!
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 10, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 39
If, he gets the job when we he derbys come along his pre match  interview on hullberside will be interesting, he'll make us sound like world beaters, scare the scunny players to death.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from geir

I`m checking media but there is no mention of Hurst being manager of Scunthorpe?
There is nothing on their official site either? I think they are quite surprised by this news in Scunthorpe...

And while I`m very grateful for Hurst giving me a wonderful moment at Wembley in the play-off final a few years back, it has to be said that he was very unpopular among the staff (paid and unpaid) at Blundell Park. He was very cold towards them and didn`t, for most of the time, even recognise their existence.
Inside information from people at Blundell Park tell me that Jolley is the complete opposite of Hurst.
Personally I judge people by their actions, and I don`t approve of a boss who doesn`t acknowledge their employees and volunteers by not giving them attention or a pat on the back sometimes.
That`s why I hope that Jolley will be successful at our club - he deserves it on personality alone!

Well thats all hearsay because i was told the exact opposite! Hurst was very popular, and ive been told MJ isn't. rumours go around all the time, always found Hurst cheerful and approachable when I spoke to him
Posted by: Stadium, May 10, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from geir

I love how people invent stories from "inside" people at BP.
Good luck to Hurst were ever he ends up.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 10, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 42
I think the bookies shortening Hurst's offs to 1 / 20  on gives some people the idea he has got the job. :P
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 10, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 43
My next door neighbour said as much two days ago, told him balderdash and didn't have the bottle to start a rumour thread for fear of looking a girl private.
Meant to nip in bookies for price and put a tenner but forgot.
Fcuking neighbours.
Posted by: Davec, May 10, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner

No he wasn't, he definitely was the Marmite man here.  As said, I thought it was the right time for him to go.

But all of those players you mentioned, he never poached from us.

Henderson had already gone back to Manchester United, after Bignot quite literally pushed him under a moving bus according to Aaron.
Toto had gone to Hartlepool.
Nolan to Chesterfield
LJL - Newport?

Danny Coyne had no association with GTFC when Hurst was here and was already at Shrewsbury for 3 years before Hurst arrived.

Don't get me wrong, there will be a bit of needle there and if nothing else it'll add a real fiery element to what should be a decent atmosphere anyway.  But I can't imagine how it would be anything like the Buckley return.  That was really intense, it was personal because he had come back to the club and taken so many of our players.  

If you're going to post things get your facts right

I didn't start that Dean Henderson and bus rumour and I have never even mentioned or commented on it so get your facts right ffs
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 10, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 45
These posters saying that is Scunny beating us is a taken Scunny win
???????????????????????????

WTF NO it is not, we have a good academy young decent local lads breaking through.

Get behind the lads instead of drinking out of a half empty glass M.J. as a good training team around him he needs a couple of good signings.

This team went to Palace and held them at bay for most of the match with TEN MEN.

Get a grip Scunny and Hurst will know they are in a game here and at Scunny.

UTM.
Posted by: Meza, May 10, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 46
Heard on RH that PH is apparently in talks with Plymouth and Scunny.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, May 10, 2019, 8:31pm; Reply: 47
I will appluard him when he returns. He's the best manager we've had for many years. 4 years in a row in the top 5. Then we was in the playoffs when he left. I do however hope scunny struggle next year but I can't see it.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, May 10, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 48
WHAAAAAATTTT!!!! It’s got to 5 pages on this thread and that little man syndrome from Suffolk hasn’t mentioned the ear cupping incident, must be a record!

Probably a good appointment for them in my opinion, best they could hope for in the current climate.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 10, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Ashby mariner
I will appluard him when he returns. He's the best manager we've had for many years. 4 years in a row in the top 5. Then we was in the playoffs when he left. I do however hope scunny struggle next year but I can't see it.

The one thing we did was a team that scored gosls.. something we have sorely missed in the last 2 seasons.
Not my kind of person but he did bring a promotion and a feel good factor back to the club..
As for Scunthorpe, don't be surprised if they struggle this upcoming season, we all know it's a culture shock dropping down a division but to be hypocritical to myself they have a string squad which could storm this league  
Only time will tell
Posted by: moosey_club, May 10, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 50
well definately will spice it up if it turns out to be true...definately Marmite and will definately recieve a frosty reception from some quarters.

Key appointment for him and his career as another unsuccesful appointment will start to taint his previous achievements.

Big question is .....does Doig know anything about this ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 10, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 51
One of only two managers to get us promoted in nearly 40 years. The sharp object.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 52
Hey northbank! How about this as this season's wAger? If he's appointed imho the Scunts will finish above us. What's your thoughts?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 10, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from forza ivano
Hey northbank! How about this as this season's wAger? If he's appointed imho the Scunts will finish above us. What's your thoughts?

I'll take that wager, we'll finish above them, best them at BP and draw at Glumford Park..if PU gets them into the play offs I'll double my £25 from this year... how's that sound to you Forza?!
Posted by: chaos33, May 10, 2019, 10:59pm; Reply: 54
I suppose, if you're out of work, then an income is welcome, but I would have thought that Hurst would have wanted and expected a L1 job. He probably earned that. So, it surprises me to some extent, that he'd take a L2 job, at a smaller club than his last L2 employer, albeit undoubtedly on more money and with a bigger budget. Fair play to him. I hope he's applauded when we play them because I think he deserves thanks, but that's not going to be what he hears I suspect. Probably his status was tainted a bit by the manner in which he left, which I did think was cowardly (sending sniffer Doig out to pretend he didn't know anything). Maybe both Hurst and some supporters could have treated each other with a bit more respect, but, hey....that's in the past.

Really, I don't care. I'm thankful that he got us promoted eventually, but I always thought he made bloody hard work of it given the payers he had at his disposal, many of whom are better than those who currently play for us. By the time he left I was glad to see the back of him really.  Should make the derby interesting next year.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2019, 12:33am; Reply: 55

Strange one this for me....I was happy when he left but I also respected the fact that he got us back into the Football League.

Yes it took him six seasons to do it but I bet clubs like Wrexham and quiet a few more ex league clubs would have taken that in hindsight.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2019, 12:43am; Reply: 56

I'd just like to inform Jolley that Hurst only starts to make substitutions on 70 mins and after if that's a help   :)
Posted by: thevera, May 11, 2019, 7:53am; Reply: 57
Quoted from moosey_club
well definately will spice it up if it turns out to be true...definately Marmite and will definately recieve a frosty reception from some quarters.

Key appointment for him and his career as another unsuccesful appointment will start to taint his previous achievements.

Big question is .....does Doig know anything about this ?

Mother of God you're H aren't you?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 11, 2019, 8:34am; Reply: 58
I think he will get a torrid reception from some in the main stand but Hurst will not lose It not like Scot infamously did with a fan in the pontoon.

Hurst always had an eye for a good loan player he kept us top half for most of the non league time some memorable away days.

After we was robbed at Wembley by the ref bottling a key decision early on then admitting to Palmer if he had sent their keeper off it would have ruined the game as a spectacle.

We took the loss as though an injustice had been done and the fans rallied round to help Hurst the likes of Boggle,Podge, and Nolan was a good combo.

Of course that was rectified against F.G. a season later.

The famous FISH echoing all round Wembley

He did not do bad for us.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2019, 8:52am; Reply: 59
I predict big sales of giant comedy ears in GY near the home game.  ;)
Posted by: Poojah, May 11, 2019, 9:12am; Reply: 60
He’s an interesting one, Paul Hurst. I always felt that his major frustration was that many of the fans’ perception of the club as being League One in size and stature was out of kilter with the budget he ultimately had in the Conference. He wasn’t judged in a fair context. We had a top 5 budget during our time down there, and we consistently finished top 5 - for me he did a good, if not brilliant job.

That said, I think he equally failed to acknowledge some of the things fans had had to witness and experience before his arrival. Years of failure and decline - those things naturally contribute towards an atmosphere of anxiety, anger and animosity. None of that was Hurst’s fault of course, I’m just not sure he ‘got’ what the club had been through and from time to time he would make naive comments that antagonised our support.

Still, I’m surprised that even with the benefit of hindsight, some posters (and generally pretty sensible ones at that) still feel that they felt it was time for him to go or they were glad to see the back of him. Going into his final game against Cheltenham we were 6th, which if I’m not mistaken would have been quite literally the highest we’d been in the division since 2006 (and still is). As we stand, is anyone willing to bet their house on hitting those heights next season?

Be careful what you wish for...
Posted by: forza ivano, May 11, 2019, 10:04am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I'll take that wager, we'll finish above them, best them at BP and draw at Glumford Park..if PU gets them into the play offs I'll double my £25 from this year... how's that sound to you Forza?!

You're on! And I will double it if jolle Y gets us in the top 7. God, I hope i lose this bet!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2019, 10:22am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Ashby mariner

Just shows how expectations have fallen we were non league
Posted by: ROKERITE, May 11, 2019, 10:36am; Reply: 63
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Just shows how expectations have fallen we were non league

That's what I can't understand. A manager who had Grimsby Town in the top six of League One or top seven of League Two for four years in a row then credit to him, but not top five of the fifth division.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ROKERITE

That's what I can't understand. A manager who had Grimsby Town in the top six of League One or top seven of League Two for four years in a row then credit to him, but not top five of the fifth division.

Exactly ... our budget was top 5 we finished on par every season , hardly remarkable in my book.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 11, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from thevera

Mother of God you're H aren't you?

i can categorically deny i have never been a member of Steps.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 11, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Poojah
He’s an interesting one, Paul Hurst. I always felt that his major frustration was that many of the fans’ perception of the club as being League One in size and stature was out of kilter with the budget he ultimately had in the Conference. He wasn’t judged in a fair context. We had a top 5 budget during our time down there, and we consistently finished top 5 - for me he did a good, if not brilliant job.

That said, I think he equally failed to acknowledge some of the things fans had had to witness and experience before his arrival. Years of failure and decline - those things naturally contribute towards an atmosphere of anxiety, anger and animosity. None of that was Hurst’s fault of course, I’m just not sure he ‘got’ what the club had been through and from time to time he would make naive comments that antagonised our support.

Still, I’m surprised that even with the benefit of hindsight, some posters (and generally pretty sensible ones at that) still feel that they felt it was time for him to go or they were glad to see the back of him. Going into his final game against Cheltenham we were 6th, which if I’m not mistaken would have been quite literally the highest we’d been in the division since 2006 (and still is). As we stand, is anyone willing to bet their house on hitting those heights next season?

That is all perfectly true. It is also true that Scunthorpe's manager(s) this season had a top ten budget despite Swann cutting back. Down they come. Budgets are not everything. Norwich are going up on a shoestring. Huddersfield come down on the same. It just doesn't work consistently. You need luck and you need some clever management of your squad in terms of teamwork and playing systems to keep overachieving. To me Hurst played the percentages far too much and was too easily satisfied with a point when two were more than possible. In fact he was doing what you say here, taking the club's position relative to its budget as success when success would have been exceeding expectations.

I also think he is easily frightened. He had Shrewsbury at the top of L1 for a while and in the automatic places for a while longer but seemed to get scared of continuing the play that got them there and went back to his old ways and lost games against the relegation fodder sides. The Shrews fans posted about this a few times as the season came to an end and then they lost in the playoffs. It surprised me that Ipswich took the gamble on him.

Now I think he has been found out as a "nearly manager" so he has to reinvent himself somewhere. It will be interesting to see where and if he carries on with the same conservative system. If he goes to Scunny he ought to get them back up according to the budget theory, but it won't be with free flowing footie and a Luton style charge at the top of the table. It will be the hard way, crawling through the playoffs.
Posted by: chrissy, May 11, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 67
I could never really make my mind up about Hurst first thinking yes he could do it then no he was not up to it.

It was his sly digs at the fans and constant bigging up of part time opposition  that finally turned me off him,

Yes he got us up but at most other clubs he would not have been given as long to do it.

He is a decent L1/L2 manager but if he wants to manage at a higher level he will have to take his club up there,  ( after Ipswich ) I only hope it is not with Scunthorpe
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 11, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 68
Hurst was unlucky at Wembley against Bristol Rovers.  The gods were not on our side.

Subjectively, I think that his reputation suffered because a) he could not deliver promotion earlier, b) he did not have a good rapport with the fans, c) his press conferences were uninspiring, and d) he was very cautious  - even against weaker opposition - and would accept a draw when 3 points were achievable. The fans wanted promotion back to the FL and some excitement.

All these factors combined over the years to give fans a poor view of Paul Hurst.  Their own frustrations (and mine) with being stuck in NL needed a scapegoat (or 2).  We had the view that we were better than where we were. Every manager has a limited lifespan.  Deserved or not.

What Hurst achieved at Shrewsbury (going from bottom to top in less than a season) was truly exceptional.  

Michael Jolley is more charismatic, articulate and outgoing than Paul Hurst.  This has helped to build up some credit with the fans.  However, results and performances must improve next season as these are the key indicators - not personality.

Posted by: arryarryarry, May 11, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Poojah

I certainly don't think that many fans thought we were a League One club, I thought his main problem was his at times negative tactics and his failure to beat one man and his dog teams.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 11, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 70
I’d have hurst and the position he left us in against the shower of excrement we’ve had this season anyday. “ oh but Jolley comes across so well in how he speaks”. Load of crap
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 11, 2019, 4:15pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Exactly ... our budget was top 5 we finished on par every season , hardly remarkable in my book.

??
Really when the likes of Forest green and now Salford are bank rolled by a rich chairman it is still a very unbalanced situation what happened to your only allowed to spend based on Gate recipts.

A lot of these small clubs ARE bank rolled big time.
Posted by: Meza, May 11, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 72
There is no FFP in national league.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 11, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Meza
There is no FFP in national league.

not sure there is in the Football League either in reality.....clubs always finding ways around it.....or the EFL forget they have a backbone and back down.

A billionaire owner brings up Salford from non League. Just another difficult season and greater competition for the players we may want to attract to our club. Hopefully they will try and spend their way out so maybe shopping for players we wouldnt be looking at anyway.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2019, 4:51pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

??
Really when the likes of Forest green and now Salford are bank rolled by a rich chairman it is still a very unbalanced situation what happened to your only allowed to spend based on Gate recipts.

A lot of these small clubs ARE bank rolled big time.

Gates are irrelevant almost in football now 😂 , Wembley as we speak is empty ( Salford Fylde ) both of which are bankrolled beyond status and potential imo. My point was hurst finished in the top 5 and had a top 5 non league budget, he was lucky to keep his job you could say after the Newport / Gateshead play offs.  Luton sacked manager after manager until they got it right , play off failures to them was failure and look how they’ve turned it around , different mentality I suppose  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 11, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Hurst was unlucky at Wembley against Bristol Rovers.  The gods were not on our side.

Subjectively, I think that his reputation suffered because a) he could not deliver promotion earlier, b) he did not have a good rapport with the fans, c) his press conferences were uninspiring, and d) he was very cautious  - even against weaker opposition - and would accept a draw when 3 points were achievable. The fans wanted promotion back to the FL and some excitement.

All these factors combined over the years to give fans a poor view of Paul Hurst.  Their own frustrations (and mine) with being stuck in NL needed a scapegoat (or 2).  We had the view that we were better than where we were. Every manager has a limited lifespan.  Deserved or not.

What Hurst achieved at Shrewsbury (going from bottom to top in less than a season) was truly exceptional.  

Michael Jolley is more charismatic, articulate and outgoing than Paul Hurst.  This has helped to build up some credit with the fans.  However, results and performances must improve next season as these are the key indicators - not personality.

I’d agree with this but I do t think Jolley’s press conferences are anything special to be honest especially after a game.

Hurst is a good Manager and I felt a bit sorry for him at Ipswich as he was never going to have the backing he needed and a lot of ex Ipswich players got stuck into him in the media which didn’t help.

If the Scunts where going for him why didn’t they do it after McCall got binned ? He might have just saved them........ glad they didn’t though🤣
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 76
Hurst is the best manager we have had since Buckley
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 11, 2019, 6:08pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from golfer
Hurst is the best manager we have had since Buckley

Nah he's not, Lennie Lawrence was...he may have been the only manager to have a smidging of success since Buckley but Lawrence was a better manager..got us to nearly top spot in the championship...circa week maybe but he got us there..
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 11, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 78
Lawrence was woefull spunked a pile of money and had nothing to show for it except a tax bill and escaping relegation by 1 point. Liverpool away was brilliant but any other day but for Coyne we would have lost by a hatfull.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 11, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 79
Most wanted him gone for years before he did, why we going on about him now?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 11, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Because some people can't let go of the past..and it's a shame really, because he could have left with fond memories, instead all he does is leave a sour taste in your mouth....time to let sleeping dogs lie and hope for a brighter future under the stewardship of MJ...
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2019, 7:50pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Seeing the crap we have had since he left a lot of people would turn the clock back. I would turn it back to McMenemy
Posted by: RonMariner, May 11, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 82
Like him or loath him, just look at the players he brought to the club when we were non league....

The Shop
Toto
Nolan
Podge
Bogle
Tait
Magnay
Rodman
Roberson

You have to admit he has a pretty good eye for a player.
Posted by: Teesknees, May 11, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 83

Because some people can't let go of the past..and it's a shame really, because he could have left with fond memories, instead all he does is leave a sour taste in your mouth....time to let sleeping dogs lie and hope for a brighter future under the stewardship of MJ...

I've never forgiven Ron Ashman for his association with Scunthorpe when he went back there in 1976. Ok so he died in 2004 but still drive past his old house every third Wednesday in the month and push some haddock through the letterbox!  
Posted by: Poojah, May 11, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from RonMariner
Like him or loath him, just look at the players he brought to the club when we were non league....

The Shop
Toto
Nolan
Podge
Bogle
Tait
Magnay
Rodman
Roberson

Interesting that you include the shop at the top of your list; not that I disagree, just that he was even more divisive than Hurst during his time here.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 11, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 85
This will not be popular with many but give Fenty his due he stuck by him until he fulfilled his mantle.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 11, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Poojah

Interesting that you include the shop at the top of your list; not that I disagree, just that he was even more divisive than Hurst during his time here.

The only time I've known a 20 goal a season striker as divisive!
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 87
We've got to talk about something P.P.-had nothing to talk about for such a long time.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 11, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from promotion plaice

Bloody hell.....we'll still be going over the same old ground (on here) about Hurst in thirty years time at this rate.....we desperately need some hairs on the back of your neck new signings to talk about   (hide1)

With the season being over 2 months early for us were gonna be going out of our minds, Im chomping at the bit already for a LENGTHY discussion when our friendly against Brigg Town gets announced
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 11, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

Bloody hell.....we'll still be going over the same old ground (on here) about Hurst in thirty years time at this rate.....we desperately need some hairs on the back of your neck new signings to talk about   (hide1)

"And here we are in the close season 2049 still waiting for Mr. Fenty to accept the final payment of his benign loans. Mr Fenty has said that he fully expects the Mariners to struggle now his involvement is coming to an end. Had he not put in the £50 last month it would have meant certain relegation to the Evo stick 7th divison eastern section and ungrateful fans would miss things like the recent FA Cup run, where the Mariners managed to get into the last 2000 of the competition."
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from golfer
We've got to talk about something P.P.-had nothing to talk about for such a long time.

I somehow managed to delete my post...technology.... :)

Posted by: chaos33, May 11, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 91

That is all perfectly true. It is also true that Scunthorpe's manager(s) this season had a top ten budget despite Swann cutting back. Down they come. Budgets are not everything. Norwich are going up on a shoestring. Huddersfield come down on the same. It just doesn't work consistently. You need luck and you need some clever management of your squad in terms of teamwork and playing systems to keep overachieving. To me Hurst played the percentages far too much and was too easily satisfied with a point when two were more than possible. In fact he was doing what you say here, taking the club's position relative to its budget as success when success would have been exceeding expectations.

I also think he is easily frightened. He had Shrewsbury at the top of L1 for a while and in the automatic places for a while longer but seemed to get scared of continuing the play that got them there and went back to his old ways and lost games against the relegation fodder sides. The Shrews fans posted about this a few times as the season came to an end and then they lost in the playoffs. It surprised me that Ipswich took the gamble on him.

Now I think he has been found out as a "nearly manager" so he has to reinvent himself somewhere. It will be interesting to see where and if he carries on with the same conservative system. If he goes to Scunny he ought to get them back up according to the budget theory, but it won't be with free flowing footie and a Luton style charge at the top of the table. It will be the hard way, crawling through the playoffs.

I think this is absolutely bob-on and I alluded to several of these points in my post. When you look at the calibre of players we had in the year we were promoted, and to a lesser extent, in the years previous, you wonder how Hurst was always about trying to sneak us up through the play offs, playing the percentages and needing luck. We never made a proper assault on auto promotion, and I believe that Hurst's conservative, predictable philosophy was the reason for that. That's why I'd had enough of him by the time he went. Some of those players he signed went on to play at a higher level - Bogle, Amond, Nolan, Toto, Rodman, Tait, Shop, Arnold, Palmer etc and yet he still managed to make his teams scratch around looking for points, playing it conservative, lacking the drive and the confidence that we should have had to take games to lowly opposition and crush them.
After six years of playing this game I was sick of it. Some of those teams we lost to or failed to beat in that period were entirely down to tactical weaknesses and small time management thinking. Keeping it tight, making sure we didn't lose etc. Look at the mess he made of the last part of the season we were promoted......with those players! We should have smashed it, not hung in there hoping for some luck.

Sure he finally got us promoted, and thanks, but boy did he make hard work of it, and not without a huge amount of luck. I hate that kind of management style. I know he got us into contention, but every year I felt his restricted, conservative thinking held us back. He never projected confidence, ambition, a winners mentality. The year we lost to Bristol Rovers in the play off final he spoke like a loser before the game. An underdog. A man with low expectations and low ambition. That projected, and it influenced the result and it contrasted with how their manager set his stall out. I'd had enough by then. Sure, he finally got us promoted with a large slice of luck but he should have made a much better job of it with those players.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 11, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
This will not be popular with many but give Fenty his due he stuck by him until he fulfilled his mantle.

And then he left, strongly insinuating that the main reason was Fenty failing to honour commitments he'd made about backroom staff. I'm sure it's not true that we were just trying to cut immediate cost with no foresight or aspiration to see the bigger picture but that's what he suggested.....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from RonMariner

The Shop
Toto
Nolan
Podge
Bogle
Tait
Magnay
Rodman
Roberson

There's a longer list of forgotten about shite players.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 11, 2019, 11:10pm; Reply: 94
He was one shirt pull away from leaving anyway. One shirt pull. Despite everything.
Posted by: chaos33, May 11, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 95
Despite what I've said about him, I don't blame him for leaving. He had no resource to work with once we'd made it back to the EFL. Cr@p facilities, no staff etc....

Hurst did sign some good players. Fair play to him for that. You just knew that the budget was turd when you saw us turning out that God awful midfield of Berrett and Summerfield.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 11, 2019, 11:20pm; Reply: 96
Summerfield ok.

Berrett omfg
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, May 12, 2019, 1:46am; Reply: 97
Toto ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: topuphere666, May 12, 2019, 6:23am; Reply: 98
Has he been appointed yet, I expected by page 10 to have news.

He’s like the ex girlfriend that you want to forget but deep down you can’t  ;D
Posted by: lukeo, May 12, 2019, 7:00am; Reply: 99
Cdajatl
Posted by: somersetmariner, May 12, 2019, 7:25am; Reply: 100
Most exciting period for being a fan of Grimsby Town in the last generation was when Paul Hurst was in charge.

no ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 12, 2019, 7:44am; Reply: 101
Quoted from somersetmariner
Most exciting period for being a fan of Grimsby Town in the last generation was when Paul Hurst was in charge.

no ?

We got S&C coach for other managers after he left and they haven't exactly set the world on fire, have they? I'm not an apologist for PH and I didn't like his stubborn approach but his 18 months at Shrewsbury were pretty remarkable.
Posted by: golfer, May 12, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 102
FFS ask him back-you know you want to  (oops)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 12, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 103
Funny to think that in nearly 3 years since hursty left us, he could very well be back in the same league as us, some progression that is
Posted by: moosey_club, May 12, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 104
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
Toto ;D ;D ;D ;D

First signing for Scunny if Hurst gets appointed i reckon.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 12, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 105
Would be a good move for Hursty, given his teams tendency to find 4,000+ crowds a bit scary.
Posted by: Mallyner, May 12, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from moosey_club

Somebody to shore midfield up, to turn a win into a draw?  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 12, 2019, 1:36pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from moosey_club

Nah. It'll be the Shop.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 12, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Funny to think that in nearly 3 years since hursty left us, he could very well be back in the same league as us, some progression that is

Im sure his bank balance alot fatter
Posted by: Garth, May 12, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from moosey_club

Omar will be Scunny,s first loan signing I believe they can afford his wages and he's crap outside league 2, one thing about Hurst he likes his old players
Posted by: Abdul19, May 12, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 110
4 in 7 starts in League 1  :-/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 12, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Garth

Omar will be Scunny,s first loan signing I believe they can afford his wages and he's crap outside league 2, one thing about Hurst he likes his old players

Not in the summer window but definitely in the Jan one especially if Pompey get promoted.
Posted by: Poojah, May 12, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Garth

I think I would probably vomit if that happened. It was bad enough seeing Martin Paterson in a Scunny shirt. Anywhere but there, Omar.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 12, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 113
I would take the shop right now...
Posted by: forza ivano, May 12, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I would take the shop right now...

Me too
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 12, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 115
I miss the shop as much as he misses the target
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2019, 1:10am; Reply: 116
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I miss the shop as much as he misses the target

Now that is one of those logical paradoxes that will keep me awake all night.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, May 13, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 117
Scunt fan at work says Hurst to be named today. Doig as deputy - although he knows absolutely nothing about it yet...
Posted by: mariner91, May 13, 2019, 9:09am; Reply: 118
Quoted from Garth

Pompey fans love him and they finished 4th in League One...
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 13, 2019, 10:00am; Reply: 119
Quoted from Davec

If you're going to post things get your facts right

I didn't start that Dean Henderson and bus rumour and I have never even mentioned or commented on it so get your facts right ffs

Apologies Dave/Aaron, my mistake...
Posted by: Abdul19, May 13, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 120
Quoted from mariner91

Pompey fans love him and they finished 4th in League One...

Yeah but he'll definitely be signing for 4th division Scunthorpe because 2+2=587!
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 13, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah but he'll definitely be signing for 4th division Scunthorpe because 2+2=587!

Wow.  I Didn’t realise you are a Town fan Diane  ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 13, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 122
Paul Hurst

Latest rumour from the Ashby Lodge is PH is going to go in goal.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PPHWWCO.gif[/img]
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 13, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 123
Him and Doig just confirmed.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 13, 2019, 5:20pm; Reply: 124
Need some Kenny Everett comedy hands to cup over our ears on his return now... unless Swann sacks him before he returns to BP obviously...
Posted by: denni266, May 13, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 125
Could be the first time he has bigged us up before a game  ;D ;)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 13, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from denni266
Could be the first time he has bigged us up before a game  ;D ;)

hehe!
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 13, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from marinerdazza
Him and Doig just confirmed.

Has anyone told Doig yet?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 13, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Mikey_345

He’s sniffing around  ;)
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 13, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 129
Hope the scunts are ready for a season of functional football, end of season loss of nerve and absolutely dire post-match interviews.
Posted by: chaos33, May 13, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Mikey_345

Very good  ;)
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 13, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 131
If we're both up and around the playoffs it could be spicy, hope our matches against them are at decent times of the season
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 13, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 132
One thing that has just spring to mind, makes me wonder whether he'll try n prize macca away from us..🤔🤔
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 13, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 133
One thing that has just spring to mind, makes me wonder whether he'll try n prize macca away from us..🤔🤔

I assume he's one of our highest earners I doubt they'd pay enough extra + it'd have to be more than 2 years on the contract, also.. NO!
Posted by: chaos33, May 13, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 134
If Macca was going to move I can't really see why he'd move from a league 2 club to a league 2 club. At his age, it's got to be upwards, surely He's under contract. If Hurst came sniffing we'd surely ask a silly sum.
Posted by: denni266, May 13, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from chaos33
If Macca was going to move I can't really see why he'd move from a league 2 club to a league 2 club. At his age, it's got to be upwards, surely He's under contract. If Hurst came sniffing we'd surely ask a silly sum.

Would be Doigs job to sniff  ;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 13, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 136
[img]https://i.imgur.com/QFINo4R.gif[/img]
Posted by: Poojah, May 13, 2019, 11:46pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from chaos33

I’m fairness to him, I honestly think Macca is old school in his approach. I just don’t think he’d make that move for tarnishing the reputation he has here.

I expect him to make the 10 year mark which is frankly remarkable at this level in this day and age. Legend.

Posted by: Garth, May 14, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 138
Thought he might have gone to the Shrews at one time but Hurst never came calling, tbf he is more secure here than Scunny who could fire Hurst before Xmas
Posted by: Maringer, May 14, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 139
Regarding Hurst, if you assume Scunny are going to spend big again this season, I think I'm right in saying that it will be the first time he's been at a club which has been one of the top few spenders in the division. There were always 3 or 4 clubs spending more than us in the Conference and Shrewsbury and Ipswich wouldn't have been spending anywhere near the bigger clubs in their respective divisions.

This being the case, anything other than promotion would be seen as failure for them. Our division is the easiest to get out of by far and, if you splash enough cash, it ought to be enough to win you promotion. Obviously, the arrival of Salford onto the scene will affect the dynamic but you'd still think the onus will be on Hurst to win promotion or bust.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 14, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 140
I've probably missed something but where's the assumption that Scunny are going to spend big coming from?

They're losing money at a worrying rate, Swann has already tightened the strings within the last 12 months and only loosened them in January when it became apparent they were in danger.

Everything I've read suggests that he (or his wife) has had enough and is no longer prepared to bankroll the club.  

Paul Hurst isn't a manager I would be appointing if I had a lot of cash to spend.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 14, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding Hurst, if you assume Scunny are going to spend big again this season, I think I'm right in saying that it will be the first time he's been at a club which has been one of the top few spenders in the division. There were always 3 or 4 clubs spending more than us in the Conference and Shrewsbury and Ipswich wouldn't have been spending anywhere near the bigger clubs in their respective divisions.

This being the case, anything other than promotion would be seen as failure for them. Our division is the easiest to get out of by far and, if you splash enough cash, it ought to be enough to win you promotion. Obviously, the arrival of Salford onto the scene will affect the dynamic but you'd still think the onus will be on Hurst to win promotion or bust.

He doesn’t respond well to that kind of expectation does he? First season at Shrews was his style, making the rescue. Couldn’t fail, stop up and he’s a hero, go down and it was the other bloke’s fault. Then It seemed to frighten him the next year to be at the top of L1 and fans expecting him to carry on and get them automatically promoted. But he didn’t, he went back to his conservative ways, lost games to strugglers and then failed the playoffs. I think he was surprised by how hard life was at Ipswich. He was hoping for another miracle worker tag with them finishing mid-table.

But Scunny? Swann will expect results from Day One and right through the season. If they fail to get automatic promotion he will not be happy. Hurst will look at the budget and see it is 4th or 5th biggest and that will be his aim in the table. Not exactly compatible.

Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, May 14, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 142
Can I be the first to say it?...Hurst out.
Posted by: sam gy, May 14, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 143
Can I be the first to say it?...Hurst out.

Not seen those words typed since we were about to play the second leg of a playoff final.  ;)
Posted by: oochiad, May 14, 2019, 3:54pm; Reply: 144
And boy did he get lucky in that leg!!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 14, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 145
I thought we were by far the better team and deservedly won.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:05pm