Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Croxton, March 24, 2019, 9:05am
His loan at Boston United is only 'until March'. Given that he added a 'spectacular equaliser' in a MOM performance yesterday, should he not be rewarded with a few cameos in our remaining games?  He fits the ' hit them on the break' style we employed yesterday.
Let Clifton drop back into Woolie's spot for a half and then attack down both sides with pace. If Hendrie could play on the left, Max would not let us down at wing back. Yesterday, Rose played down the right mostly to accomodate a tiring Ring.  Max is 21 in April and has earned a birthday boost.  (I am not related BTW)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 24, 2019, 9:15am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Croxton
His loan at Boston United is only 'until March'. Given that he added a 'spectacular equaliser' in a MOM performance yesterday, should he not be rewarded with a few cameos in our remaining games?  He fits the ' hit them on the break' style we employed yesterday.
Let Clifton drop back into Woolie's spot for a half and then attack down both sides with pace. If Hendrie could play on the left, Max would not let us down at wing back. Yesterday, Rose played down the right mostly to accomodate a tiring Ring.  Max is 21 in April and has earned a birthday boost.  (I am not related BTW)

Jolley intimated a week or so ago that he was there for the season but that theirs finishes before ours so he might get thro n in at Meadow Lane last day of the season.

In the system we play he will probably end up as cover for Hendrie or in a 2 behind a lone striker.
Posted by: Rik e B, March 24, 2019, 9:30am; Reply: 2
He a winger and there's no wingers in 3-5-2 so need to make some adaptations
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 24, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Croxton

That would be a good thing to do for sure.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 24, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 4
I’m told max played wing back against one of our local semi pro teams I forget who pre season and he looked out of sorts , he’s a winger imo and hopefully will get his chance shortly
Posted by: RonMariner, March 24, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 5
I'm hoping that Max and Rose will both feature next season. Be great to have some real pace going forward. Need a good finisher to lead the line though.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 24, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Rik e B
He a winger and there's no wingers in 3-5-2 so need to make some adaptations

Can’t see why he couldnt do the embleton role, runs at people, scores goals, doesnt have to stay down the middle all the time, go out wide either side cause trouble
Posted by: devs, March 24, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 7
No forgetting he's been playing Conference North all season!
Posted by: ska face, March 24, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from devs
No forgetting he's been playing Conference North all season!

Clifton had been playing below that at the bottom of the Northern Premier League - now he’s a decent squad player, regular starter and training with the Wales u21s.

Better players around him and better quality opposition might bring him on much quicker than another year at Boston or wherever.
Posted by: devs, March 24, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 9
Take your point but it's a still a big step up
However, him Akheem Cardwell Pollock Vernam will only get better with more game time
It's obvious the club want these lads to stay and be developed so I expect them to feature in end of season games, summer friendlies
We need pace and Wright, Rose and Vernam have it

Future is bright...
Posted by: Hagrid, March 24, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 10
Cardwell wont. Ive seen enough of him to know he’s not good emough
Posted by: wigworld, March 24, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 11
Hasn't Max also played for Scarborough this season? Don't think he can play for another club.
Posted by: mariner91, March 24, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 12
I would like us to have more tactical flexibility than our squad currently allows so would be great to have an actual wide player available. A friend of mine is a big Boston fan and he can't speak highly enough of Max.
Posted by: sydney, March 24, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 13
Get Him Back
Get him played
Sooner the better
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 24, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 14
For me it’s now or never get him back be looks more than ready
Posted by: mariner chopper, March 24, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from wigworld
Hasn't Max also played for Scarborough this season? Don't think he can play for another club.

That was 2017/18 mate
Posted by: ScarboroughMariner, March 25, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 16
Yes he was at Scarborough last season and was brilliant for large parts.. If the same is being said a league higher up then he certainly deserves a proper shot sooner rather than later..

One further point Scarborough played Middlesbrough under 23 in the final of a local area cup at the end of last season and we was at least as good if not better than any of the championship/premier league under 23 players on show (even though we lost 1 nil)

Hes very quick scores the odd worldy but needs to work on his left foot as well as finishing.
Posted by: rancido, March 25, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 17
IMO we should trust MJ's judgement of how to manage Max's progress. The fact that he gave him a deal shows that he thinks he has potential. MJ's past experience in coaching the Under 23's at Burnley is a key factor on how he will coach Max and how best to develop his abilities.
Posted by: wiggers, March 25, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 18
Not even sure where he fits into an MJ side. He’s either gonna have to play as a wingback or wide in a front three. Don’t know if he can do either tbh, looks like an old school winger to me. He might just be at GTFC at the wrong time......
Posted by: Abdul19, March 25, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 19
The wrong time would've been during the non league days. He'd have been released after his first pro season, as it is he'll be starting his fourth soon!
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, March 25, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 20
Saw him play right wing back the other week against Wigan reserves and he was the best player on the pitch that day from either side
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 25, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 21
Everything I've seen of Wright suggests he would be a good fit for our system as a wingback. He's relatively quick, direct, full of running, tenacious and of reasonable technical ability.  Attributes we lack for effective use of a 3-5-2, especially down the left hand side. Hendrie and RHJ down the right is fine as both can move forward but RHJ overlapping gives a real impetus. Down the left Ring doesn't look ready for the English game yet and some of his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Time will tell on him. The left sided centre back has often been Collins who won't offer any overlap at all, nor would you expect him to.

Wright did struggle in the pre-season games at wingback but across the board we looked quite poor over the summer. I'm not sure any real judgement can be made of a player over that period.

I know it's disappointing how the season has fizzled out a bit but this is now a perfect opportunity to see how the fringe players perform on a consistent basis.  Wright, Rose, Vernam maybe even Cardwell (is he fit?) should be all be given decent runs in the starting line up from now on in my opinion, but I'd also like to see the younger lads like Pollock, Buckley and Burrell get chances. Loan spells and reserve games are fine but you never really know how a player will do until they're playing properly. Jack Lester was absolutely floundering here until his loan spell at Doncaster, where he hardly pulled trees up, but once he got in our first team he became a different animal.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 22
We are a bit like England by having a few very promising players ready to break through and establish themselves in the team.

So England to win the Euro's and Town to win the league.  2020
Posted by: BackHeelTony, March 25, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 23
Watched him play for Boston against Stockport a couple of weeks ago(Limberick and Rodger were there watching him)
He did ok and looked comfortable at that level although end product not always the best.
Be good to get him back and see how he fairs in league 2
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 25, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 24
Friend of mine who's a season ticket holder at York Street thinks he'll handle league football no problem - see below.

Aye, 100% comrade. If he can ride the tackles in this pub league he'll be fine in L2.
Check out his goal York on Saturday, a thing of rare beauty
Posted by: forza ivano, March 25, 2019, 4:43pm; Reply: 25
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-3614674/videos/144283

If you can handle the infernal ads, her's the video.max's goal is in the final minute of the video.
Good crowd for that level and decent Boston following
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from forza ivano
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-3614674/videos/144283

If you can handle the infernal ads, her's the video.max's goal is in the final minute of the video.

What ads ?

Have you not got ad blocker Forza ?

Good clip though mate. :)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 25, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 27
Great composure for the goal when most others would have blasted it.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 25, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 28
I think I've gone deaf.(wacko)
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 26, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 29
Max is playing in today's reserve game against Rotherham.  :)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 26, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 30
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1110277198634717186

no ads, just liquid football
Posted by: TonySmith, March 26, 2019, 1:57pm; Reply: 31
Great goal. You would think he'd look a bit happier though after scoring a goal like that to save his side a point late in a game.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), March 26, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Croxton
should he not be rewarded with a few cameos in our remaining games?

We've nothing to lose. Our chances for a play-off spot are slim and we won't be fighting for survival like last year
I agree. I hope MJ gives the youngsters (Pollock, Rose, Grayson, Buckley and co.) some game time for the upcoming remaining fixtures
Posted by: Croxton, March 28, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 33
Staying with Boston till end of their season.

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc
Posted by: sydney, March 28, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 34
Bad Decision
He is GTFC
We have another Clifton here
Hope he features next season
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Maringer, March 28, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 35
If he's unlikely to play, then staying at Boston for the rest of the season is a good idea. More game time, more experience and this will hopefully help him develop into a player we can use next season.
Posted by: Grimal, March 28, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from sydney
Bad Decision
He is GTFC
Come on Town!!

I think you are being a bit unfair here, Boston are on the verge of a play off place and I think it's good judgement by our club to extend his loan until the end of their season and hopefully Max helping them to that play off place.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 28, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Grimal

I think you are being a bit unfair here, Boston are on the verge of a play off place and I think it's good judgement by our club to extend his loan until the end of their season and hopefully Max helping them to that play off place.

That's a pretty big verge.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 28, 2019, 10:21pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Grimal

Max has done well for Boston this season and having annoyed them in recent years with the tapping up of Hurst and Scott plus the tribunal for Pearson it is good to see us trying to build a good relationship again.

Recalling Max now could be detrimental to future business. Much like how we want to be seen as the place for clubs to send their promising young players, it is also important that clubs see us as a good club to deal with when it comes to loaning our young players.
Posted by: Stew0_0, March 29, 2019, 9:35am; Reply: 39
Will be back for the last game of the season. Give him a run out then in Embletons position
Posted by: 1mickylyons, March 29, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 40
Decent Boston following at York to celebrate the goal.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, March 29, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Decent Boston following at York to celebrate the goal.

Quite surprising how many they took, normally have a pretty shoddy away following.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 29, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from sydney
Bad Decision
He is GTFC
Come on Town!!

Interesting comment from the manager yesterday and today’s GT about playing young players.

“We want to put anyone in the first team that can help the first team in winning games. Of course it’s always nice to develop young players and put them in, and we’ll do that if it’s appropriate for the team and those players. But we wouldn’t do it just for the sake of it or ticking the box, we’d do it if we genuinely felt they could help the team.”

A bit disappointing and to be honest I expected better from someone whose management career has been mainly with young players and who has said he wants to develop long term the playing side of the club. There will never be a better opportunity than now to give some youngsters a taster of the first team and see how they fare. Surely that helps everyone.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 29, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 43

Interesting comment from the manager yesterday and today’s GT about playing young players.

“We want to put anyone in the first team that can help the first team in winning games. Of course it’s always nice to develop young players and put them in, and we’ll do that if it’s appropriate for the team and those players. But we wouldn’t do it just for the sake of it or ticking the box, we’d do it if we genuinely felt they could help the team.”

A bit disappointing and to be honest I expected better from someone whose management career has been mainly with young players and who has said he wants to develop long term the playing side of the club. There will never be a better opportunity than now to give some youngsters a taster of the first team and see how they fare. Surely that helps everyone.

Sorry RRFC I have to disagree as that statement doesn't hold any disappointment for me, if anything it's just an honest and frank answer.
We are developing a decent youth set up at town but if the manager doesn't think any of those players can cut the mustard in the first team then why should he play them??...
He's already shown the ones that stand out a commitment to their future by offering them their first professional contracts, so I have to say, the club do believe in the young guns, but only the ones that are good enough...all sounds fair to me
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 29, 2019, 1:59pm; Reply: 44
That sounds as though it is straight out of the Paul Hurst School Of Management! ;D

Nobody is talking about sticking players in before they are ready, I am saying that that now, with nothing to play for, is a good time to give some youngsters some minutes to see how ready they are. Part of their education and also helpful for planning. If a manager just takes a totally blanket view that points come before youngsters it will not help him or them.
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 29, 2019, 2:04pm; Reply: 45

Which will instill confidence in any youngster getting a game.  (Even if MJ doesn't really think they are quite ready and is in reality giving them a run out for experience).

Good man management in my book.
Posted by: oochiad, March 29, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 46
Disappointing my bottom!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 29, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Civvy at last

Which will instill confidence in any youngster getting a game.  (Even if MJ doesn't really think they are quite ready and is in reality giving them a run out for experience).

Good man management in my book.

You could be right Civvy as a psychological ploy, if they understand it that way. Thing is with kids, it is hard to tell what they really think from what they say. I would rather he had dangled a carrot for them yesterday and said there could be opportunities to stake claims for next season.

Posted by: moosey_club, March 29, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from forza ivano

i know we joke about inbreeding regards Boston but every player was called Turnbull   ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, March 30, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 49
Scored again today in a 4-1 win over Curzon Ashton. Now 6 points off the playoffs.
Posted by: lobsterpot, March 31, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 50
Also MOTM and slotted a great through ball in for a peno that Ben Davies smashed home, whilst wearing Max's spare boots may i add!
The lad is desperate to play for town. He's been here since aged 9 and got over 2 broken ankles. He is the 1st on the training ground and the last off it. He plays in reserve games when struggling with cuts and bruises when asked whereas certain other 'superstars' say no thanks when theyre asked to play!. He volunteers to clean the boots. The B team take on the 1st team in training and the majority of the time he and Akheem batter, bruise, skin and beat the 1st team into defeat by playing a different way whereas the 1st team must stay in Jolleys shape obvs. He can't do anymore to get a recall. He's just does not fit into the way Jolley wants the team to play and it's pretty gutting to know that he has nearly given up hope. We will end up losing him to another medeocre club where he will shine if given the chance which is a real shame. Jolley will go, we will still be here, yet another local lad, few and far between, may not make it through no fault of his own. It's ok trusting in Jolley, he knows what he is doing etc but it doesnt always mean he is right, he is just implementing what he believes in. Fingers crossed he succeeds. Similar to what someone said earlier, Max is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 31, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from lobsterpot
Also MOTM and slotted a great through ball in for a peno that Ben Davies smashed home, whilst wearing Max's spare boots may i add!
The lad is desperate to play for town. He's been here since aged 9 and got over 2 broken ankles. He is the 1st on the training ground and the last off it. He plays in reserve games when struggling with cuts and bruises when asked whereas certain other 'superstars' say no thanks when theyre asked to play!. He volunteers to clean the boots. The B team take on the 1st team in training and the majority of the time he and Akheem batter, bruise, skin and beat the 1st team into defeat by playing a different way whereas the 1st team must stay in Jolleys shape obvs. He can't do anymore to get a recall. He's just does not fit into the way Jolley wants the team to play and it's pretty gutting to know that he has nearly given up hope. We will end up losing him to another medeocre club where he will shine if given the chance which is a real shame. Jolley will go, we will still be here, yet another local lad, few and far between, may not make it through no fault of his own. It's ok trusting in Jolley, he knows what he is doing etc but it doesnt always mean he is right, he is just implementing what he believes in. Fingers crossed he succeeds. Similar to what someone said earlier, Max is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A good prospect, maybe you need to meet with MJ and discuss.

Point worth making if we recalled the players we have out on loan when their hosts still mathematically have a chance of promotion clubs wouldn’t take our youngsters going forward.

As much as Town are playing a role in developing the likes of Embleton we need clubs to take our prospects too.

Max has a deal, he’s clearly a really good player he’ll get his chance 100%.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 31, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 52
If his deal was up at the end of the season, I'd have been a bit annoyed to see his loan extended. But as Herts says, he's under contract, so I don't see the harm in letting him see out the year where he is. Jolley must rate him, he gave him a 2 year deal.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 1, 2019, 4:07am; Reply: 53
At the end of the day with our meagre budget getting these young players into the side is:

A) The only way we are going to make any progress.

B) If he does well he would be an investment for the club able to generate extra income when clubs come sniffing around.

This is how it as always been here.

Jolley knows all about investments and assets at least that much is certain.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 1, 2019, 11:34am; Reply: 54
Quoted from HertsGTFC

A good prospect, maybe you need to meet with MJ and discuss.

Point worth making if we recalled the players we have out on loan when their hosts still mathematically have a chance of promotion clubs wouldn’t take our youngsters going forward.

As much as Town are playing a role in developing the likes of Embleton we need clubs to take our prospects too.

Max has a deal, he’s clearly a really good player he’ll get his chance 100%.

Spot on!

He is in a team, challenging for promotion, 5 points off play-offs with 5 games to play, and he's playing football.

What good is it, coming back to us, not starting, in a team with nothing to play for? makes no sense to me at all.

Akheem Rose, 18? years old.
Since the turn of the year, there has been 1260 minutes of league football played without added time, Rose has played 99mins of that...

I think Wright is benefiting a lot more than Rose is
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 1, 2019, 1:56pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Spot on!

He is in a team, challenging for promotion, 5 points off play-offs with 5 games to play, and he's playing football.

What good is it, coming back to us, not starting, in a team with nothing to play for? makes no sense to me at all.

Akheem Rose, 18? years old.
Since the turn of the year, there has been 1260 minutes of league football played without added time, Rose has played 99mins of that...

I think Wright is benefiting a lot more than Rose is

Akheem is 21 in November.

Completely agree with you, no point in coming back to sit on the bench or even in the stands. Physical condition and development needs to play a part more than age. It’s clear Max is a slight lad and playing regularly the last 2 years will have taught him how to ride challenges and deal with physical players. By all accounts he’s been excellent for Boston as he was for Scarborough last season. Hopefully he can come back in July and show Jolley what a winger is!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 1, 2019, 2:31pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from jimgtfc

Akheem is 21 in November.

Completely agree with you, no point in coming back to sit on the bench or even in the stands. Physical condition and development needs to play a part more than age. It’s clear Max is a slight lad and playing regularly the last 2 years will have taught him how to ride challenges and deal with physical players. By all accounts he’s been excellent for Boston as he was for Scarborough last season. Hopefully he can come back in July and show Jolley what a winger is!

My understanding from what I've been told is that the club are currently looking for Max to go out on loan until January before reassessing. I've seen him play for Boston a few times this season but on Saturday he was the standout player. His goal of was a poachers finish, he always looked to get his cross off but his through ball that led to the penalty was great.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 1, 2019, 2:43pm; Reply: 57
Seems bonkers* that they'd take that decision before this season has finished.

*to me, who basically knows nothing about how these things work
Posted by: oochiad, April 1, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 58
Just wait and see what happens before you start badmouthing Jolley. If I was Boston’s manager and Jolley recalled Max now at this point of the season I’d be fuming, he’s doing a great job there and needs to finish.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:00am