Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 19, 2019, 3:17pm
Really poor game. Both teams poor with town poorer. Created next to nothing and played into the gimps hands with long ball. Felt aorry for cardwell but he was woeful. Dean made the game about him, failing to show red for 2 forearm smashes on Ohman in the first half. Ohman i thought was superb. I hate lincoln, hate the way they play and hate that male masturbator cowley. But they are good at what they do. Score stop play win games. We desperately need a striker
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 19, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 1
Mike Dean is a shocking referee who is clearly not used to league two football let alone a local derby. It wasnt necessarily a nasty game yet he books about 7 players and sends macca off. Not convinced Macca caught the man and instead just about won the ball as it rolled forward. I thought we responded well to conceding what was a good goal and we bossed the rest of the first half without testing their keeper.
2nd half we never got going and the effective Embleton in the 1st half disappeared in the 2nd. The sending off killed the game off though we defended well throughout. We have got no cutting edge going forward.
We really need to sign a pacey wide man and a physical unit centre forward before the window closes as no goals in 4 games now..

We move on.
UTM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 19, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 2
360 minutes without a goal. Is this a record?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 19, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 3
Why do we abandon the formation that served us well last few months to go to a 352 ? Baffling.

Oh and am glad no one took me up on my offer of 70 quid for 2 tickets  ;D
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 19, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 4
270 of those minutes were against a premier league team and the 2 biggest spenders in our division, it isn't ideal but we'll find our way again.
Posted by: Yoda, January 19, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 5
Another toothless display we are too nice and too short.
Could be another winless run.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 19, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 6
Cardwell was terrible we need a striker and it showed yet again today I’m sorry but he’s just not good enough if we want to progress then we need better had nothing upfront today 😔
Posted by: ska face, January 19, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Yoda

I take it we’ll be seeing more of your tedious shiite then.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 19, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 8
Don't doubt Mr.Jolley at all or nor am I looking for a scapegoat but Harry Cardwell is a Vanarama North player at best. He really doesn't offer anything and he doesn't score goals. He looks excrement scared of the ball and protecting it for his size. I can't see how he's been offered an early extension of his contract.
Posted by: Helgy, January 19, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 9
You can play the ball about but lack a cutting edge in the final third.
Mike Card Dean instead of letting the game flow it was all about him card crazy.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2019, 4:43pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Helgy
You can play the ball about but lack a cutting edge in the final third.
Mike Card Dean instead of letting the game flow it was all about him card crazy.

This we know. Need recruitments in forward areas to progress the team, but i'm sure the manager knows that. I didn't expect us to score today against a very well drilled Lincoln, who are further along in their progression than we are, and have a lot more dosh than we do right now.

Not a surprising result for me and i think Lincoln will almost certainly be a League 1 side next season. Just hope we can join you the season after.
Posted by: Perkins, January 19, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 11
Thought Ohman (sorry no umlaut) was immense today, battered and bruised but gave everything, great signing imo. Ring seems a good signing too. Kardwell just not good enough and Rose, well words dont describe how poor he can be sometimes. Probably me but I thought the game lacked the atmosphere of previous derbys.
Posted by: mimma, January 19, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 12
Couldn't get a ticket so had to settle for listening to it.

Seen the red card, a typical Macca challenge. He can't tackle so he decides to go in with his body and cleans the player out. No complaints.

However, how can a player break a taller players nose with his arm and only get a yellow?

When it comes to contentious decisions, Lincoln seem to get them all the time. Dubious penalty last game, the Gowling sending off, they certainly get the rub of the green. It can't just be down to luck. They say it evens itself up in time, so next time we play them we should get five penalties and they have three players sent off!!
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, January 19, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Why do we abandon the formation that served us well last few months to go to a 352 ? Baffling.

Oh and am glad no one took me up on my offer of 70 quid for 2 tickets  ;D

Totally agree.  He insisted on that formation at his previous club, they got relegated.  When he came here, he started with that formation and we kept on losing.  It was not until he went 4 4 2 that we started getting results.

We have now played 4 games in January, not scored a single goal, not got a single point, all under the 3 5 2 formation.  Coincidence?  I think not

Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 19, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Totally agree.  He insisted on that formation at his previous club, they got relegated.  When he came here, he started with that formation and we kept on losing.  It was not until he went 4 4 2 that we started getting results.

We have now played 4 games in January, not scored a single goal, not got a single point, all under the 3 5 2 formation.  Coincidence?  I think not

Is it just me or do we have this discussion with every manager, like we've been cursed to only perform when we play 4-4-2 forever
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 19, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 15

Well, his future is at stake but more importantly so is the club's. You score goals if you create chances but you have to take those chances. We need someone to do that and we need someone who can make a chance from nothing like Podge.

We have 2 difficult matches this week and unless we score we will lose them both and be sinking fast again. Optimism is great, long term team building is great, confidence in the manager is great too. But none of them will pay the bills unless we score some goals and win some games quick.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 19, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 16

When did we play 3-5-2 before today in the past month? We've barely had a fit centre back!
Posted by: mariner91, January 19, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 17

Except today was the first time we've played a 352 formation since the start of the season.
Posted by: barralad, January 19, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 18
Just back home and if I'm honest a little underwhelmed. They say you build a good team from the back and, if that is the case then we are well on the way. Jolley obviously thinks he has the personnel to make a better fist of 3-5-2 and defensively at least you'd be hard pushed to argue with him. I thought Ring, Ohman and Hendrie were superb-particularly the big Swede whose full debut was "eventful". I did note the irony in the MOTM selection giving it to a player whose interest in the game should have ended after five minutes.
Thought Hess had just about his best game for Town, Embleton hustled and bustled but other than that nothing much. Although Cardwell had a game to forget the service to him was shocking and Thomas let his frustration show (after a game of wasted movement) when after pointing to where he wanted Rose(?) to play the ball it sailed harmlessly over his head to their keeper. I have no idea how good their keeper is because I can only remember an Embleton shot on target. It is easy to say after the event but surely Vernam would have made a better fist at the striker role. In any event most people in my vicinity thought the substitution was at least fifteen minutes too late. I actually thought Lincoln were poor. Time wasting to the point where yellow cards are issued in the first half of a game? We kind of knew they would fall down - a lot. The goal was a decent strike although I'd like to see it again because I thought it took a slight deflection. Cannot comment on the sending off as it was far too far away (although Dean was only slightly nearer). I wonder how many of the proper Lincoln fans are a bit uneasy about how they go about the game. If O'connor and whoever else it was who assaulted Ohman had done that on a Saturday night outside a pub in Cleethorpes they might have found themselves in the back of a police wagon. If Dean looks back at either of those challenges I suspect he might regret his leniency.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 19, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 19
I'm going to try and be pragmatic about this game. New formation, two new players working towards being fully match fit, best engine in the team missing and the wrong end of two important refereeing positions and we lost 1-0 to a team that's clear at the top and had a few quid chucked at it. Some games aren't free flowing bundles of joy to watch and some are, just depends how the teams match up. For most of the game both teams cancelled each other out. I understand the calls for a striker, every team needs better strikers than they've got no matter what position they are in the league. I'd accept one tomorrow but our lack of goalscoring could be atrributed to lack of quality chance making just as much. I don't get the outrage on here about wanting one after this game and a terrible run of injuries over the past few games after scoring plenty in the weeks beforehand. If we were toothless up front, so were they. I think we shaded it in chances created tbh. They started brightly for the first twenty minutes using the ball well with some accurate balls to the feet of Akinde and their wide men. They got their foothold because our central midfield three stood off them and looked a little disorganised. They knocked some decent crosses in, all were dealt with well by our defence but we paid by being slow to the second ball and got punished by their winner which was a decent strike to be fair. Then somehow after twenty minutes we relaxed and started knocking it around a bit and with the three or four chances created mostly from set pieces before half time, it was a bit of an injustice that we went in behind at the break. Some reports were saying that one of our efforts was over the line and it looked that way on TV.

Second half was a non event. Lincoln showed their ability to manage games out and we showed a lack of composure on the ball when trying to get into the final third although some credit has to be given to the standard of their defending.With some of the talent they had in their side, I think we need to give our players some credit in making them look quite ordinary for long spells in the game. Apart from a shaky first twenty minutes for Ring, I thought the wing backs and back three all had decent games. Hessenthaler had a decent ninety minutes, Embleton had a decent twenty minutes before half time and Rose's physicality grew into the game after a poor thirty minutes, but the overall effect of our midfield three was pretty ineffective. Clifton would have made a difference, but I think we'll still need an added ingredient of steel and athleticism in there if we're going to challenge next season. The front two were largely ineffective but they had poor service and were shackled by probably the best defence I've seen this season in open play although they looked a bit shaky at set pieces as did their keeper who seemed get attable.

Onto Mike Dean. I actually thought he got a large percentage of decisions right but got two huge ones wrong. O'Connor should have walked for his cynical elbow, I thought Akinde's was a yellow and no way should Macca have got sent off, although Macca created the situation himself by being extremely indecisive, their forward made up 50 yards whereas JM only had to make half that distance. And onto Lincoln. They looked excellent for twenty minutes and ordinary for the rest of the game. They've got some decent players and you can see with their strength how they can steamroller some teams yet we didn't lay down and die for them. I think they've got one or two weaknesses but they'll have enough to go up this season. Couldn't watch them every week though, I much prefer watching how Jolley is developing our work in progress side. Wish we could be a little more like them, we need to add a cynical edge to our play if we want to be successful, at times I think we're a little bit too nice and naive. Not throwing elbows in faces or play acting like them but getting away with a nudge here and there and being more adept in reading game situations. Nearly every team that plays Lincoln will say they're a horrible team to play against and we need our opponents to say the same about us because in our present guise we're never going to have a budget to buy the quickest and most skilful players for this level.

I like the look of Ohman and Ring, Ohman looks very strong in the air and not bad with his feet and Ring looks good with the ball but first impressions are that I'd like him to be a yard quicker if he's going to fill that wing back role. I can understand the calls for a forward but I couldn't see how a different one to the two today could have made much of a difference in today's game, I think our relatively small shortcomings compared to Lincoln can't be laid solely at Cardwell and Thomas's feet, even though their movement wasn't great the service they received was poor, although I was disappointed not to see Vernam start as I think we'd have got more joy with him running at their defence alongside Embleton rather than playing two with their backs to goal.

Disappointed with the result today and disappointed with the game as a spectacle but quite prepared to be patient and see how our side progresses over the rest of the season and depending on budget analyse where we'll need to improve over the summer to become a promotion chasing side. Definitely wouldn't be hitting any panic buttons at the minute anyway..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 19, 2019, 5:49pm; Reply: 20

Well, his future is at stake but more importantly so is the club's. You score goals if you create chances but you have to take those chances. We need someone to do that and we need someone who can make a chance from nothing like Podge.

We have 2 difficult matches this week and unless we score we will lose them both and be sinking fast again. Optimism is great, long term team building is great, confidence in the manager is great too. But none of them will pay the bills unless we score some goals and win some games quick.

Bit in bold, really?

Posted by: Helgy, January 19, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 21
Ginnywings
Would striker solve it ,we are hard to break down thought your lad should have scored when he turned in the area but the shot flashed wide.
It’s more having that player with the ability to unlock defenses.
Your no5 why did he stay on for so long he kept going down several times seemed dazed it took an age to replace him?
Posted by: mariner91, January 19, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Helgy
Ginnywings
Would striker solve it ,we are hard to break down thought your lad should have scored when he turned in the area but the shot flashed wide.
Your no5 why did he stay on for so long he kept going down several times seemed dazed it took an age to replace him?

You mean the one your thugs assaulted?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 19, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Helgy
Ginnywings

Kept going down - as a result of forearm smashes into his face you mean?
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 24
After the first 20 minutes when I thought we were going to get well beaten I thought we played some OK stuff without really threatening too much. However apart from the goal and Akinde's chance when he was through on goal I didn't think they troubled McKeown too much up to the sending off.

Not sure why many are having a go at Cardwell as I thought he won more hoofball headers than Thomas, but neither player looks to me like they will score that many goals and I feel we should be looking to bring in another striker.

I did think that Ohman looked outstanding and looks like he could well become a fans favourite like Futch did.

The most disappointing parts of today's game for me were that we were playing against a bunch of cheating twits and a shite ref.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 25
I did think we looked amaturish when it took an age to replace McKeown. :-/
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2019, 6:09pm; Reply: 26
Sky highlights

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11612025/lincoln-1-0-grimsbymxf
Posted by: devs, January 19, 2019, 6:11pm; Reply: 27
Thought we were decent today...up to a point
Powder puff up top
No cutting edge
GK, defence were sound - and they had to be to face that style of play
Ohman and Ring will be cult heroes I feel
Hess was excellent
We missed Harry's energy
Cardwell is young and raw - lacks a physical presence, hardly ever scores..not good recipe
Thomas needs support and then he's decent

Not too down about result - they are top of the league blah blah

I think it's obvious were the problem lies but it's not easy to solve - money talks and those with the most get the best strikers

Need another win quick though to calm the nerves
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 19, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 28
Had a fantastic view of the first challenge on Ohman and I have to say it was one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. The ball had gone and he’s done him on purpose. Nailed on red and awful officiating as the linesman had a crystal clear view of it.

That said we were pretty woeful. Turned up to try and cope with them rather than play. Majority of our creative players on the bench and hugely missed Clifton.

We just look a little burnt out at the minute after a fine Christmas. Need a physical option up front also.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 19, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 29
Sorry but until we get a proper 'striker: through the door we are going to struggle...
I actually thought defensively we looked okay and reckon 3-5-2 would will work with the players we have with the exception of the front 2...
Ohman really impressed and Ring looks solid, has a bit of pace, tackles well and  put some good balls in and Hess works his socks off with a touch of quality too...
We are not a million miles off being a decent team and think next season will be more fruitful...
Today we got beat by one shot on target!!,cheats and a terrible ref!!!...
Posted by: golfer, January 19, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 30
First off i thought it was a definite foul-looking again Dean's a twatt
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 19, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 31
Why oh why oh why were we sat so deep today when we proved in the home leg (and at times today) that if you harrass Lincoln and press on the back 4 they are just as average as the rest of this league. We had 5 at the back get Cardwell, Thomas and a couple of the midfield pressing and rushing the Gimps into making mistakes.

I think the game today showed we are missing a shop or lump Jones style striker, someone to aim at when we have to pump the ball forward, but again that player would be wasted if our midifeld keeps sitting so deep. At one point in the match today Cardwell and Thomas were about 5 yards outside Lincolns box and the rest of the team were behind the half way line.

Thomas and Cardwell were too far apart at times as well so even if either of them did win the ball they couldn't support each other.

If we are going to be playing 532 for the rest of the season, Ring and Hendrie (not so much Hendrie) need to stay wider and create some width Ring especially drifted in far too many times (which cause problems defenisvely and we got caught out a few times), we can't have Whitmore and Davies being the ones wipping crosses in on the overlap as they should be covering for the wingbacks on possible counter attacks.

I loved the way the Gimps keeper was distributing the ball sometimes, long but low punts into the wide spaces to Akinde-Pen its something maybe we should be looking at especially without a recognised aerial threat up front to head the ball (I feel all dirty now after typing that).
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 19, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Yoda

Don’t go then!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 19, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 33
Time for Thomas and Vernam to play together for a few games, both good players IMO and both can score goals, but I agree, we need something else as Cardwell and Rose not great
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 34
Is it true that Lincoln have signed a Spanish midfielder and a Welsh striker? El Bow and Dai Vincunt.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Helgy
Ginnywings

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league. It's ok saying we should push up more, but when you are playing a better side, which Lincoln are, then that is easier said than done.

We've had a horrendous run of injuries and suspensions, quickly followed by a very tough run of fixtures. We are also blending new players into the team, and changing formation at the same time. I think it will be a rough few weeks before we start to hit our straps again. I didn't panic when we had that losing run, and i didn't get too excited when we had a good winning run. This season is about building the squad and the team, and there will be ups and downs along the way.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 19, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league. It's ok saying we should push up more, but when you are playing a better side, which Lincoln are, then that is easier said than done.

We've had a horrendous run of injuries and suspensions, quickly followed by a very tough run of fixtures. We are also blending new players into the team, and changing formation at the same time. I think it will be a rough few weeks before we start to hit our straps again. I didn't panic when we had that losing run, and i didn't get too excited when we had a good winning run. This season is about building the squad and the team, and there will be ups and downs along the way.

God I wish I had your patience. I’m frankly fed up with Grimsby Town playing second fiddle to the likes of Lincoln and others.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

God I wish I had your patience. I’m frankly fed up with Grimsby Town playing second fiddle to the likes of Lincoln and others.

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the major refereeing decisions.

I'm just trying to look at it pragmatically. I've learned over the years that getting wound up about defeats is pointless, because it doesn't change anything. You either keep plodding on and hoping, or you give up and stay home. Look where Lincoln were at 3 to 4 years ago.

Patience? No.

Blind faith? Yes.

Posted by: promotion plaice, January 19, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 38

For what it's worth I thought for the little service he got........Thomas's ball control was excellent today.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 19, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the major refereeing decisions.

I'm just trying to look at it pragmatically. I've learned over the years that getting wound up about defeats is pointless, because it doesn't change anything. You either keep plodding on and hoping, or you give up and stay home. Look where Lincoln were at 3 to 4 years ago.

Patience? No.

Blind faith? Yes.

Yes,they’re ahead of us with their development but they were non league two years ago. They’ve kicked on , we haven’t....sound familiar?
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 19, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 40
Felt we were worth a point over the whole match, however we need to create more chances if we are to get back into games like this. Would like Vernam or Rose to get a few starts up front.

Also would just like to add that every single one of Toffolos throw ins were “foul throws”. Stood half a yard on the pitch for most of them (including the one just before they got the corner they score from).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 19, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes,they’re ahead of us with their development but they were non league two years ago. They’ve kicked on , we haven’t....sound familiar?

Multiple Investors creating a large cash flow buffer, lucky cup draws, cup wins versus teams who are “focusing on the league” TV money on the back of all that and a manager who’s a media whore no wonder they’ve “kicked on”!

Lots of things have clicked to provide them with the budget to win this league. They only have a couple of lads on long term deals so when they go up their financial commitments will inevitably increase but their gates won’t so like the Scunts they’ll need propping up by directors to kick on again.

Time will only tell whether their growth is sustainable or not.
Posted by: LH, January 19, 2019, 11:06pm; Reply: 42
Back hours ago. Poor contest but I don’t expect much from derby games in an aesthetical sense. Don’t think Dean got much wrong other than the ‘robust’ aerial duels he gave yellows for. Not much consistency with his bookings for time wasting though because their keeper should have gone off for a second yellow for the same offence. He is good value though I’ll give him that - he would have been brilliant in the old silent black and white films for his facial expressions.

We didn’t threaten them at all really other than the one their keeper nearly threw in and they didn’t need to move up to second gear at all after their goal. We have five (?) strikers on our books but as others have said it is undoubtedly our weak point. For various reasons this is not an easy position for us to fill but we won’t progress until it is addressed.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 19, 2019, 11:10pm; Reply: 43
I'd give the young lad Burrell a go in the next game, even if it's just from the bench. Looked mobile and lively in the reserves the other day
Posted by: Davec, January 20, 2019, 7:57am; Reply: 44

Have you been to any of the 3 previous games in January? Apart from yesterday we haven't played 3-5-2 since first game of the season.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 20, 2019, 7:59am; Reply: 45
360 minutes without a goal. Is this a record?

Yep. Longest run since September.
Posted by: golfer, January 20, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 46
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Is it true that Lincoln have signed a Spanish midfielder and a Welsh striker? El Bow and Dai Vincunt.

Source please.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 20, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 47
If we are going to play 3-5-2 why the fr!g do Thomas and Cardwell come out wide to collect the ball....??...surely the idea is to have your wing backs bomb forward and your 2 front men to be in the box to accept the cross...
I have to say MJ obviously wants to go this way but I'm just not convinced it's a formation that will reap real success in league 2...
Young manager wanting to play modern football in a league that is old school....maybe he needs to have a rethink, get stability through the squad, be contented with mid table this season then push for promotion/play offs next season...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 20, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 48
Quoted from golfer

Source please.

It was that well-known journalist May Dupp.
Posted by: Helgy, January 20, 2019, 9:55am; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

If you had pushed up too much and we would have hit you on the break more
You need pace in this division wingers than can unlock the defences ,we are hard to break down and will press to try to make teams made mistakes.
So it was hard for you to get at us because of the way we are set up,
Carlisle did us using pace & some neat football.

January window is the toughest ,teams don't want to sell their best players ,prices can be over inflated ,then add agents to the mix.

Getting that player in that will gel straight away isnt easy ,we had a few signings that took time to bed in last January.
Things can take time to blend together its not like Jolly is Russell Slade who was clueless.

Football has changed since we were out of the league ,if we go up to L1 then we will need investment to be able to compete in that league.

You have to have blind faith its part of being a fan
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 20, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Helgy

You need pace in this division wingers than can unlock the defences ,we are hard to break down and will press to try to make teams made mistakes.

January window is the toughest ,teams don't want to sell their best players ,prices can be over inflated ,then add agents to the mix.

Getting that player in that will gel straight away isnt easy ,we had a few signings that took time to bed in last January.
Things can take time to blend together its not like Jolly is Russell Slade who was clueless.

Football has changed since we were out of the league ,if we go up to L1 then we will need investment to be able to compete in that league.

Helgy you are normally quite pragmatic and put some good point up on this forum but yesterday we got beat by a ref and bully boys ...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Helgy

So what your saying is that you're great and we're crap............. that post above is not like you as it sounds like your looking down on us.  

Jolley is fully aware we are having problems breaking sides down he said so on RH last week so maybe he set up with 5 across the middle was his plan not sure but I know if Clifton had been playing he'd have got forward more than what Rose ever would and that shape allows Embelton to be more central and pull the sting so I get it.

I don't need blind faith in Jolley as he's doing what he can with what he has. Cowley is doing the same but the resources available to both managers sits at different ends of a spectrum.

When you go up you'll encounter sides with bigger budgets but I doubt you'll play many with less class.
Posted by: sam gy, January 20, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 52
Hey, you know what - we lost one nil away in a close encounter with probably the best team in the league, with one of the biggest budgets and we went down to 10 men too.

That's really not too bad. We're competing and yes there is room for improvement. Last year in the corresponding feature we got absolutely hammered and were never in the game. That's improvement.
Posted by: Helgy, January 20, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 53
HertsGTFC
It wasn’t meant to come over that way .i am saying L2 isn’t easy , it’s a tough division and the January window is a tough one to get players in no matter what your finances are.
L1 is tougher & without investment we will struggle to compete.
Don’t have any illusions last time we went up to L1 we came straight back down because we didn’t invest in new players.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Helgy
HertsGTFC
It wasn’t meant to come over that way .i am saying L2 isn’t easy , it’s a tough division and the January window is a tough one to get players in no matter what your finances are.
L1 is tougher & without investment we will struggle to compete.
Don’t have any illusions last time we went up to L1 we came straight back down because we didn’t invest in new players.

Thanks for clarifying, appreciate it. You’ll be ok in L1 but the likes of Akinde and Rhead will be exposed as L2 standard at best .

Your biggest risk is losing the Cowley’s.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, January 20, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm going to try and be pragmatic about this game. New formation, two new players working towards being fully match fit, best engine in the team missing and the wrong end of two important refereeing positions and we lost 1-0 to a team that's clear at the top and had a few quid chucked at it. Some games aren't free flowing bundles of joy to watch and some are, just depends how the teams match up. For most of the game both teams cancelled each other out. I understand the calls for a striker, every team needs better strikers than they've got no matter what position they are in the league. I'd accept one tomorrow but our lack of goalscoring could be atrributed to lack of quality chance making just as much. I don't get the outrage on here about wanting one after this game and a terrible run of injuries over the past few games after scoring plenty in the weeks beforehand. If we were toothless up front, so were they. I think we shaded it in chances created tbh. They started brightly for the first twenty minutes using the ball well with some accurate balls to the feet of Akinde and their wide men. They got their foothold because our central midfield three stood off them and looked a little disorganised. They knocked some decent crosses in, all were dealt with well by our defence but we paid by being slow to the second ball and got punished by their winner which was a decent strike to be fair. Then somehow after twenty minutes we relaxed and started knocking it around a bit and with the three or four chances created mostly from set pieces before half time, it was a bit of an injustice that we went in behind at the break. Some reports were saying that one of our efforts was over the line and it looked that way on TV.

Second half was a non event. Lincoln showed their ability to manage games out and we showed a lack of composure on the ball when trying to get into the final third although some credit has to be given to the standard of their defending.With some of the talent they had in their side, I think we need to give our players some credit in making them look quite ordinary for long spells in the game. Apart from a shaky first twenty minutes for Ring, I thought the wing backs and back three all had decent games. Hessenthaler had a decent ninety minutes, Embleton had a decent twenty minutes before half time and Rose's physicality grew into the game after a poor thirty minutes, but the overall effect of our midfield three was pretty ineffective. Clifton would have made a difference, but I think we'll still need an added ingredient of steel and athleticism in there if we're going to challenge next season. The front two were largely ineffective but they had poor service and were shackled by probably the best defence I've seen this season in open play although they looked a bit shaky at set pieces as did their keeper who seemed get attable.

Onto Mike Dean. I actually thought he got a large percentage of decisions right but got two huge ones wrong. O'Connor should have walked for his cynical elbow, I thought Akinde's was a yellow and no way should Macca have got sent off, although Macca created the situation himself by being extremely indecisive, their forward made up 50 yards whereas JM only had to make half that distance. And onto Lincoln. They looked excellent for twenty minutes and ordinary for the rest of the game. They've got some decent players and you can see with their strength how they can steamroller some teams yet we didn't lay down and die for them. I think they've got one or two weaknesses but they'll have enough to go up this season. Couldn't watch them every week though, I much prefer watching how Jolley is developing our work in progress side. Wish we could be a little more like them, we need to add a cynical edge to our play if we want to be successful, at times I think we're a little bit too nice and naive. Not throwing elbows in faces or play acting like them but getting away with a nudge here and there and being more adept in reading game situations. Nearly every team that plays Lincoln will say they're a horrible team to play against and we need our opponents to say the same about us because in our present guise we're never going to have a budget to buy the quickest and most skilful players for this level.

I like the look of Ohman and Ring, Ohman looks very strong in the air and not bad with his feet and Ring looks good with the ball but first impressions are that I'd like him to be a yard quicker if he's going to fill that wing back role. I can understand the calls for a forward but I couldn't see how a different one to the two today could have made much of a difference in today's game, I think our relatively small shortcomings compared to Lincoln can't be laid solely at Cardwell and Thomas's feet, even though their movement wasn't great the service they received was poor, although I was disappointed not to see Vernam start as I think we'd have got more joy with him running at their defence alongside Embleton rather than playing two with their backs to goal.

Disappointed with the result today and disappointed with the game as a spectacle but quite prepared to be patient and see how our side progresses over the rest of the season and depending on budget analyse where we'll need to improve over the summer to become a promotion chasing side. Definitely wouldn't be hitting any panic buttons at the minute anyway..

Great post BigDog.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, January 20, 2019, 6:45pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think we can sum the reason for that up in two words OC - 'Russell Slade'.

Unfortunately we went backwards under him whereas they progressed and didn't have that setback of whatever Russell was trying to 'build'.

I think, all things considered, we look a lot better prospect squad wise than we did this time last year, even if we're not that different in terms of points on the board.

We've been incredibly unlucky with injuries that decimated our defence at the same time as probably our toughest run of games, but I've seen enough of these players to have some confidence we'll improve and think we'll finish mid-table.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

I think we can sum the reason for that up in two words OC - 'Russell Slade'.

Unfortunately we went backwards under him whereas they progressed and didn't have that setback of whatever Russell was trying to 'build'.

I think, all things considered, we look a lot better prospect squad wise than we did this time last year, even if we're not that different in terms of points on the board.

We've been incredibly unlucky with injuries that decimated our defence at the same time as probably our toughest run of games, but I've seen enough of these players to have some confidence we'll improve and think we'll finish mid-table.

The board need to take accountability for us not moving forward since getting back in L2,

- They wouldn’t back Hurst to retain players and develop our infrastructure

- They appointed Bignot then gave him money to chuck away and p1ss off what was left of Hursts squad who CHDAJATL at the same time as making a fool out of himself on a daily basis.

- Then they appoint Slade who in reality had failed at every job he’s had and then allowed him to nearly take us back down before pulling the trigger .

Yeah we may not have had Lincoln’s finances but there no excuse for not having as much common sense and strategy.

Jolley will take us forward if not up I’m sure.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, January 20, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The board need to take accountability for us not moving forward since getting back in L2,

- They wouldn’t back Hurst to retain players and develop our infrastructure

- They appointed Bignot then gave him money to chuck away and p1ss off what was left of Hursts squad who CHDAJATL at the same time as making a fool out of himself on a daily basis.

- Then they appoint Slade who in reality had failed at every job he’s had and then allowed him to nearly take us back down before pulling the trigger .

Yeah we may not have had Lincoln’s finances but there no excuse for not having as much common sense and strategy.

Jolley will take us forward if not up I’m sure.

Agree with all of that Herts - the appointment and trust in Slade took us backwards but yes in the bigger picture the board are accountable for not moving forward since getting back in L2, but also in getting us down into non-League in the first place.  

I'd be interested to hear what the views are on the current team against the team that Hurst assembled for our first season back in the league, and whether you feel we've a better squad now, worse or about the same?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 59

Agree with all of that Herts - the appointment and trust in Slade took us backwards but yes in the bigger picture the board are accountable for not moving forward since getting back in L2, but also in getting us down into non-League in the first place.  

I'd be interested to hear what the views are on the current team against the team that Hurst assembled for our first season back in the league, and whether you feel we've a better squad now, worse or about the same?

Starting with those that remain, James McKeown is in the form of his life but Danny Collins at 38 is 2 years older.

I would say we are stronger at the back, especially with the new additions.

Up front we had Bogle who hasn't been replaced and left in January with 19 goals to his name. Have our strikers even scored 19 goals since?

Other than that we have had that much upheaval since promotion that I can't remember who signed who!

Although it is worth noting that when Hurst left we were just outside the play offs so that team was arguably stronger.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from sam gy
Hey, you know what - we lost one nil away in a close encounter with probably the best team in the league, with one of the biggest budgets and we went down to 10 men too.

That's really not too bad. We're competing and yes there is room for improvement. Last year in the corresponding feature we got absolutely hammered and were never in the game. That's improvement.

Thanks for a sensible assessment of where we really are. We would be unrealistic to expect to be a new Manchester City without the resources or time need to develop.

At the start of the season many fans said they expected that we would be mid table, but build a base for a promotion push next season. I think that is exactly where we are.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 61

I think this one with a couple of additions has more long term potential than any sqaud we’ve had since coming up.

Compared to Hursts squad? Not sure as when he left that one had a bit more experience as the average age was higher and Bogle had been in form. As Bignot loved to tell everyone there was “not enough technical ability” in that squad I actually think we’ve got some better footballers MJ just needs to develop them as pros and the future will be bright.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 21, 2019, 4:12am; Reply: 62
To be fair Hurst was given a long time to get the squad right the Cowley's equally so M.J. should be given a decent stint he has earned that.

The squad is small but the players have bonded and that makes bringing in new players easier.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 21, 2019, 7:00am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be fair Hurst was given a long time to get the squad right the Cowley's equally so M.J. should be given a decent stint he has earned that.

They won the title in their first season!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 21, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 64
Shocking game.  I agree with the sentiment that it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of previous derby games either.  Maybe the 'safe zone' or lack of tickets resulted in that, I don't know.  It just felt a little flat.

I can completely understand Jolley's thinking in going to a 3-5-2.  We went into the game knowing that Lincoln would be physical and look to bully us, we put our big lads in for it.  3 big centre-backs and Cardwell up top to come back for corners and free-kicks.  In hindsight it probably was probably over cautious.  With a back 3, you really need to have one of the three bringing the ball out and stepping into midfield, which in turns allows your more forward minded midfielder to support the attack.  Perhaps the idea was for Ohman (who was absolutely superb!) to do this but he was too busy taking blows to the head but we didn't do it.  I think Whitmore and Davis are both decent, solid types but neither are what I would call footballing centre-backs.  Perhaps we could have afforded to put Hendrie, as more of a footballer, in the 3 with RHJ out wide.  

The midfield badly lacked Clifton and it took Rose a good 30 minutes to get going.  Our system also meant Embleton wasn't able to get forward much but when he did that was when we looked at our best.  

Up top, nah just not good enough for me on the day.  The service was poor but there was a real lack of enthusiasm and zest from both Thomas and Cardwell.  Definitely from the stands it was Cardwell who was getting the lions share of the blame but I thought Thomas was borderline lazy at times.  Could have quite easily made the change to bring Vernam on at the break.  Neither did enough chasing down or trying to hustle their defence.  Was a point in the second half where Hendrie and Ring were chasing the Lincoln defence down which was just bizarre to see, especially when the strikers were jogging back to position.  Thomas seems to have got himself in a bit of a rut where he doesn't look capable of scoring or even making a chance for himself, previously he always looked a threat with this twists and turns.  Cardwell looked totally devoid of any confidence in his own ability, scared of his own shadow at times.

Overall the performance matched the result and the game, disappointing.  I think the wing-back system has some legs to it, especially with the bodies we've got in the building now.  But we need to make sure we've someone in our defence who can step forward to control the play and the energy in midfield is still there, allowing Embleton to get forward.  
Posted by: Tommy, January 21, 2019, 11:23am; Reply: 65
Quoted from diehardmariner
Shocking game.  I agree with the sentiment that it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of previous derby games either.  Maybe the 'safe zone' or lack of tickets resulted in that, I don't know.  It just felt a little flat.

I can completely understand Jolley's thinking in going to a 3-5-2.  We went into the game knowing that Lincoln would be physical and look to bully us, we put our big lads in for it.  3 big centre-backs and Cardwell up top to come back for corners and free-kicks.  In hindsight it probably was probably over cautious.  With a back 3, you really need to have one of the three bringing the ball out and stepping into midfield, which in turns allows your more forward minded midfielder to support the attack.  Perhaps the idea was for Ohman (who was absolutely superb!) to do this but he was too busy taking blows to the head but we didn't do it.  I think Whitmore and Davis are both decent, solid types but neither are what I would call footballing centre-backs.  Perhaps we could have afforded to put Hendrie, as more of a footballer, in the 3 with RHJ out wide.  

The midfield badly lacked Clifton and it took Rose a good 30 minutes to get going.  Our system also meant Embleton wasn't able to get forward much but when he did that was when we looked at our best.  

Up top, nah just not good enough for me on the day.  The service was poor but there was a real lack of enthusiasm and zest from both Thomas and Cardwell.  Definitely from the stands it was Cardwell who was getting the lions share of the blame but I thought Thomas was borderline lazy at times.  Could have quite easily made the change to bring Vernam on at the break.  Neither did enough chasing down or trying to hustle their defence.  Was a point in the second half where Hendrie and Ring were chasing the Lincoln defence down which was just bizarre to see, especially when the strikers were jogging back to position.  Thomas seems to have got himself in a bit of a rut where he doesn't look capable of scoring or even making a chance for himself, previously he always looked a threat with this twists and turns.  Cardwell looked totally devoid of any confidence in his own ability, scared of his own shadow at times.

Overall the performance matched the result and the game, disappointing.  I think the wing-back system has some legs to it, especially with the bodies we've got in the building now.  But we need to make sure we've someone in our defence who can step forward to control the play and the energy in midfield is still there, allowing Embleton to get forward.  

I think by the sounds of the new lad Grayson, he should be able to bring the ball out of defence quite comfortably.

The other thing with the 3-5-2 system is the slight variations to how you can shape it. I wasn't there on Saturday but I hear from others that our 3 in midfield was Rose sitting deep behind Hess and Embleton. Maybe that was a one-off with the opposition in mind, but it'd get much more out of Embleton and hopefully see us being more of an attacking threat if it was 2 midfielders then with Embleton ahead of them behind the strikers.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 21, 2019, 11:26am; Reply: 66
Forgot about Grayson, Tommy.  But that's the other point I wanted to make.  I thought the lack of a natural left footer in the back three (I don't think Whitmore is left footed!) was quite evident.  

Agreed on Embleton, he's too good to have him sitting deep.  Benefit of Clifton and Hess is that they've got the legs to cover as lot ground, negating the need for someone to sit deeper.
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Multiple Investors creating a large cash flow buffer, lucky cup draws, cup wins versus teams who are “focusing on the league” TV money on the back of all that and a manager who’s a media whore no wonder they’ve “kicked on”!

Lots of things have clicked to provide them with the budget to win this league. They only have a couple of lads on long term deals so when they go up their financial commitments will inevitably increase but their gates won’t so like the Scunts they’ll need propping up by directors to kick on again.

Time will only tell whether their growth is sustainable or not.

Lincoln's "lucky" cup draws that generated most of the money, were from the 2nd round onwards against teams 2-4 leagues higher. As for the fixtures being against teams "focusing on the league" Lincoln also won the league that season (something non of their opposition did) so there must have also been a focus on that. Not bad for a manager who's just a media whore, and who at the time was managing a club half a million in debt with no training facilities.

Grimsby could do with doing something beyond finishing bottom half and complaining how their neighbours have more than them. Especially seeing as they have been in this league longer than Lincoln, and look to be staying in it for a while more.

As for sustainablity, that's a problem the majority of clubs in league 2 will have if they are climbing divisions. I doubt there will be many fans pining for the security of 15th place which Grimsby Town can offer.

Overall point being GTFC are going nowhere, slowly, and if the best they can do is have one shot on target against their closest league rivals that isn't changing. Whether 11 Lincoln player should be in the pitch or not, it's irrelavnt to how blunt Grimsby are.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 21, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from LJC

Lincoln's "lucky" cup draws that generated most of the money, were from the 2nd round onwards against teams 2-4 leagues higher. As for the fixtures being against teams "focusing on the league" Lincoln also won the league that season (something non of their opposition did) so there must have also been a focus on that. Not bad for a manager who's just a media whore, and who at the time was managing a club half a million in debt with no training facilities.

Grimsby could do with doing something beyond finishing bottom half and complaining how their neighbours have more than them. Especially seeing as they have been in this league longer than Lincoln, and look to be staying in it for a while more.

As for sustainablity, that's a problem the majority of clubs in league 2 will have if they are climbing divisions. I doubt there will be many fans pining for the security of 15th place which Grimsby Town can offer.

Overall point being GTFC are going nowhere, slowly, and if the best they can do is have one shot on target against their closest league rival
s that isn't changing. Whether 11 Lincoln player should be in the pitch or not, it's irrelavnt to how blunt Grimsby are.

Pretty damn condescending when you only had two shots on target yourself against a "going nowhere, pining for security of 15th" closest league rival..

It was a tight game in which both teams cancelled each other out for long periods of the game. You got your goal in your twenty minute spell of ascendency, we didn't.. nothing more nothing less..
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Bigdog

Pretty damn condescending when you only had two shots on target yourself against a "going nowhere, pining for security of 15th" closest league rival..

Don't really mind if you think it's condescending or not. I am saying being able to "kick on" hasn't been 100% luck, and that sustainability for most clubs is a challenge if they're progressing, but surely one most people wouldn't mind.

Reference the 2 shots on target to one, that's fine but kind of ignoring the point. The usual cliches apply with derbies, that form goes out the window, so a win in a derby is a win. The stats aren't too much of a concern, especially if you've won the game. What I am saying is that we did win the game, but overall we also had a lot more shots, and seeing as the league is going well it hardly feels like papering over the cracks by being happy with 2 shots to 1 against a team 15th just this once.
Posted by: ska face, January 21, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 70
I see we’ve attracted yet another footballing missionary from the enlightened ones up the A46. Fantastic.
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from ska face
I see we’ve attracted yet another footballing missionary from the enlightened ones up the A46. Fantastic.

Yeah, there seemed to be a bit of misinformation about us I could see nobody was rushing to correct.
Posted by: rancido, January 21, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from LJC

Yeah, there seemed to be a bit of misinformation about us I could see nobody was rushing to correct.

Maybe you were the only one to think it was misinformation!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 73
Taxi for LJC.....
If we want our face running the mud we'll do our ourselves thank you, we don't need a you and we don't want your style of foitbsll..
Even your own fans, well your real fans who have been there through thick n thin, don't appreciate the crap Cowley seems to play and they cannot believe you are where you are...that said, go to league 1, we'll see you in 2021 wether that's us coming up or you going down..be a right....be a right old buddy though if you got relegated and we got promoted....and would we jump on your forum?...nah, because we care what GTFC do and not other clubs, neighbours or not, pure and simple
Posted by: mariner83, January 21, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from LJC

if the best they can do is have one shot on target against their closest league rivals that isn't changing.

Lincoln only managed 2 - fair enough one of those went in.  Considering the difference in budgets/league positions I would have expected more.
Posted by: ska face, January 21, 2019, 1:58pm; Reply: 75
This new breed of Lincoln fans are like lottery winners who spend their time telling other people how to put a lucky dip on.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 21, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from ska face
This new breed of Lincoln fans are like lottery winners who spend their time telling other people how to put a lucky dip on.

It's times like this when I wish Fenty would pull his finger out and get the investment necessary and a new stadium sorted to get these idiots trailing in our wake forever..
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Taxi for LJC.....
If we want our face running the mud we'll do our ourselves thank you, we don't need a you and we don't want your style of foitbsll..
Even your own fans, well your real fans who have been there through thick n thin, don't appreciate the crap Cowley seems to play and they cannot believe you are where you are...that said, go to league 1, we'll see you in 2021 wether that's us coming up or you going down..be a right....be a right old buddy though if you got relegated and we got promoted....and would we jump on your forum?...nah, because we care what GTFC do and not other clubs, neighbours or not, pure and simple

You dont just care about GTFC, my post was replying to a quote about LCFC a lesser man may see as jealousy. As for the true fans who've supported Lincoln through thick and thin disliking Cowley. That seems like something that's been made up on the drive home to make yourself feel better, I'm familiar with Lincoln pre 2016 and post and never rarely we had many qualms about style of play and certainly not the Cowley's. Don't think I have said anything too outrageous or insulting either, but maybe i should wait til 2021 to see.
Posted by: Tommy, January 21, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 78
You go from saying this....

Quoted from LJC

Overall point being GTFC are going nowhere, slowly, and if the best they can do is have one shot on target against their closest league rivals that isn't changing. Whether 11 Lincoln player should be in the pitch or not, it's irrelavnt to how blunt Grimsby are.

....to this....

Quoted from LJC
Reference the 2 shots on target to one, that's fine but kind of ignoring the point. The usual cliches apply with derbies, that form goes out the window, so a win in a derby is a win. The stats aren't too much of a concern, especially if you've won the game. What I am saying is that we did win the game, but overall we also had a lot more shots, and seeing as the league is going well it hardly feels like papering over the cracks by being happy with 2 shots to 1 against a team 15th just this once.

If the stats aren't too much of a concern why did you bring them up in the first place in your first post?

If the stats aren't too much of a concern, why do you go on to say in the same paragraph about having "a lot more shots"?

You could've had 25 shots but if 23 of them were from 40 yards out and were closer to row z than the goal then the stat is hardly of any relevance is it.
The highlights give the impression it was a fairly even game, chances wise, so thanks for the patronising and contradictory posts, but cheerio.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 2:47pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from LJC

You dont just care about GTFC, my post was replying to a quote about LCFC a lesser man may see as jealousy. As for the true fans who've supported Lincoln through thick and thin disliking Cowley. That seems like something that's been made up on the drive home to make yourself feel better, I'm familiar with Lincoln pre 2016 and post and never rarely we had many qualms about style of play and certainly not the Cowley's. Don't think I have said anything too outrageous or insulting either, but maybe i should wait til 2021 to see.

Let me put you right here..
I was stopped in the street on Saturday  by 4 old boys, probably into their 70s who have seen Lincoln for a lot more years than 98% of your current fan base who made the statement to me...and yes, the older, truer fans do not like his style and have issues with his behaviour on the touch line...so it's not jealousy in any manner or form...
As for not being insulting, I'm afraid just posting on this board whilst the going is good for Lincoln is insulting...it appears to most of us on here that the Lincoln mob(not sure actually if you are a Lincoln fan or just out to be controversial) only rear their gargoyle when they are doing better than us...
And all I am saying is if and when, because I believe it will happen, GTFC are at higher level than Lincoln we won't give 2 hoots how they are doing and yes, I do only care about my club...
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 3:24pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Tommy
You go from saying this....

....to this....

If the stats aren't too much of a concern why did you bring them up in the first place in your first post?

If the stats aren't too much of a concern, why do you go on to say in the same paragraph about having "a lot more shots"?

You could've had 25 shots but if 23 of them were from 40 yards out and were closer to row z than the goal then the stat is hardly of any relevance is it.
The highlights give the impression it was a fairly even game, chances wise, so thanks for the patronising and contradictory posts, but cheerio.

The first point is illustrating how you were not offering much in the final third. Which you weren't. Then somebody says we offered little more than you, to which my point was, it doesn't matter if you win the game, and seeing as we are top the stats in one game aren't too indicitave.  I also wanted to say that's whilst shots on target were close between us, overall shots were not. Reference long range shot skewing stats. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't remember us having too many long range shots. Except the one that went in
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 21, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 81
All these Lincoln fans coming on the Fishy to explain how good they are compared to us, just think in 3 seasons time when they are in the premier ship how they can go on Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea fans forums to give them the benefit of their knowledge.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 21, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 82
Amazing another Gimp turns up funny we never used to get any on here or at BP....
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 83

Let me put you right here..
I was stopped in the street on Saturday  by 4 old boys, probably into their 70s who have seen Lincoln for a lot more years than 98% of your current fan base who made the statement to me...and yes, the older, truer fans do not like his style and have issues with his behaviour on the touch line...so it's not jealousy in any manner or form...
As for not being insulting, I'm afraid just posting on this board whilst the going is good for Lincoln is insulting...it appears to most of us on here that the Lincoln mob(not sure actually if you are a Lincoln fan or just out to be controversial) only rear their gargoyle when they are doing better than us...
And all I am saying is if and when, because I believe it will happen, GTFC are at higher level than Lincoln we won't give 2 hoots how they are doing and yes, I do only care about my club...

Again, i was offering an opnion on a GTFC fans view of Lincoln, and on  Lincoln Grimsby game. Not sure why they're are truer fans? There have been enough bad times in the last 30 year's for people to experience poor seasons. And it's no more jealousy than my comments are patronizing.

But I will stop commenting now. I feel I have righted the wrongs I needed to.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 84
Thanks for your wisdom LJC. Truly inspirational the way you righted all those wrongs.

Is there a Nobel prize for football?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from LJC

Again, i was offering an opnion on a GTFC fans view of Lincoln, and on  Lincoln Grimsby game. Not sure why they're are truer fans? There have been enough bad times in the last 30 year's for people to experience poor seasons. And it's no more jealousy than my comments are patronizing.

But I will stop commenting now. I feel I have righted the wrongs I needed to.

I say truer fans because I don't like throwing insults but let's be honest, 98% of you fans base are plastic...as we sang on Saturday to your 617 squadron..."where were you when you were sh!t"

Now I will stop now I have righted your wrongs..
Posted by: LJC, January 21, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 86

I say truer fans because I don't like throwing insults but let's be honest, 98% of you fans base are plastic...as we sang on Saturday to your 617 squadron..."where were you when you were sh!t"

Now I will stop now I have righted your wrongs..

You sang on saturday?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from LJC

You sang on saturday?

Yep, all 1500, give or take a few, in the same way we sing at every away game....and by the way, the chant your W@nkers sang about MJ was out of order....just about shows the juvenile intelligence of the d!cks of the so called 617, which if some of the soldiers/airmen who formed the air corps, ever heard I'm sure they'd have been mortified and turning in their grave...
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 21, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 88
Northbank, please stop answering him, he said he had finished then he's back again, if he keeps coming back it will soon be more regular than a Lincoln kiss, (elbow).
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Gaffer58
Northbank, please stop answering him, he said he had finished then he's back again, if he keeps coming back it will soon be more regular than a Lincoln kiss, (elbow).

I shall take your sage words on board...
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, January 21, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 90
Taxi for LJC.....

I hope that style of football comment was tongue in cheek. Your team on Saturday just lumped into channels and to that lump up front every time, no football played by you at all. No wingers, no passing , just look up, and launch.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 21, 2019, 5:52pm; Reply: 91

I hope that style of football comment was tongue in cheek. Your team on Saturday just lumped into channels and to that lump up front every time, no football played by you at all. No wingers, no passing , just look up, and launch.

Our players had to get of the ball quickly before the next flying Lincoln elbow hit them. Congratulations on your forthcoming promotion courtesy of unbelievable thuggery and a pair of whingeing cnunts.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 92

"Lump up front"...you taking the p!ss....oh, forget you have two light footed slender forwards....one who eats more pies than desperate Dan and the other one who doesn't know his @rse from  his from his elbow.. but then again he might, well he certainly knows how to use an elbow....
Posted by: denni266, January 21, 2019, 6:08pm; Reply: 93
Like i said before Lincoln are a bunch of thugs not footballers, and thugs will meat there justin whittle or bobbby cummings.. then see how hard they are crying to the ref. thats when they get up off there asses and crying
Posted by: Meza, January 21, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from ska face

Your right Ska, I was speaking to a few Lincoln work colleagues, and they have jumped on the band wagon.  In fact they don't even know who plays in the team...quite pathetic really haha.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 22, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from golfer

Source please.

Tabasco?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 22, 2019, 2:16pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from sam gy

Agree with you apart from the bold bit.... we hit the woodwork in pretty quick succession when it was 0-0 and had we taken the lead, who's to say we couldn't have held on to it

As it was,  as soon as Lincoln got their first the confidence and fight drained and we conceded again quickly twice

I know it's all ifs and buts, but (  ;) ) the first goal in the game was very important in deciding that outcome
Posted by: LJC, April 29, 2019, 9:47am; Reply: 97
Quoted from Bigdog

It was a tight game in which both teams cancelled each other out for long periods of the game. You got your goal in your twenty minute spell of ascendency, we didn't.. nothing more nothing less..

I would like to apologise. I was wrong to suggest a few months ago that Grimsby could offer the security of 15th place, as well as being condescending it was also fantasy. 17th/18th is a fine spot to be in and would be more than acceptable for us next year in league one. I'm sure if the Cowley brothers can't get the job done I can only hope we nab Michael Jolley, a man with a proven track record of achieving those sorts of position.

Best of luck.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Meza

Your right Ska, I was speaking to a few Lincoln work colleagues, and they have jumped on the band wagon.  In fact they don't even know who plays in the team...quite pathetic really haha.

At least they are attracting new fans (if only for a couple of seasons) If we suddenly got another 2000 season ticket holders who knew nowt about GTFC (I nearly said 'football' there) surely we wouldn't female dog about it

Posted by: psgmariner, April 29, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 99
Exactly.

I don’t get why Lincoln are hammered on here for gaining fans. It’s a good thing not a bad thing. I’d love us to have a packed ground every week.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:28am