Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 29, 2015, 3:02pm
With the wintry weather effecting parts of the country and more on the way next week, it will cause fixture chaos for some clubs, hopefully not us..
Posted by: Maringer, January 29, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 1
Sunny in Clee at the moment, with any snow melted away. Substantial-looking clouds to the north and south but it looks as though we'll miss anything much (as usual) so shouldn't be any problems on Saturday. It'll be bloody freezing with this wind, mind.

No snow forecast in Dover at the moment so Tuesday's game ought to be OK as well.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 29, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 2
Snowing in Immingham at present and settling but hopefully only a shower
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 29, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Sunny in Clee at the moment, with any snow melted away. Substantial-looking clouds to the north and south but it looks as though we'll miss anything much (as usual) so shouldn't be any problems on Saturday. It'll be bloody freezing with this wind, mind.

No snow forecast in Dover at the moment so Tuesday's game ought to be OK as well.

Thanks Wincy x
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 29, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 4
Snowing here now.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 29, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 5
A brief snow shower here but who cares ? ;D
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 29, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 6
We will just have to shovel the snow off, like old-skool Town fans did when we played Norwich City in 1985, to try reach the League Cup semi-finals lol, was it worth the blisters?

Cleared 4 inches of snow off lol, only game that went ahead that day! :)

[youtube]QVOejavLtik[/youtube]
Posted by: acko338, January 29, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 7
Was snowing quite heavily and starting to settle in Central Grimsby for the last ten minutes, but easing off again now !
Posted by: Maringer, January 29, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 8
Heavy snow shower in Clee now ending (I can see blue sky again!). It's settled a bit, but I reckon we'd need to be hit by about a dozen or more heavy showers tonight for there to be any serious problems!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 29, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
We will just have to shovel the snow off, like old-skool Town fans did when we played Norwich City in 1985, to try reach the League Cup semi-finals lol, was it worth the blisters?

Did we lose 1-0 that night
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 29, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 10
God knows what would happen if we had really bad weather.

Gateshead must be shaking like a sh1ting dog
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 29, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 11
Games which might we effected on Saturday

Halifax v Barnet
Lincoln v Dover
Southport v Gateshead
Kidderminster v Eastleigh

Think we will be ok, just going to be bitterly cold

on Tuesday outside chance of snow for the South East

Again Gateshead v Wrexham & Halifax v Dartford may struggle to go ahead, with more bad weather on the way next week.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, January 29, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
God knows what would happen if we had really bad weather.

Gateshead must be shaking like a sh1ting dog

Poor Gateshead, well-run club, likeable people...Let it snow!

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 29, 2015, 4:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Yeah.  :(
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 29, 2015, 4:31pm; Reply: 14
Knowing the league probably extend the season for Gateshead
Posted by: rancido, January 29, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 15
It isn't the snow that is the problem but the low overnight temperatures that could freeze the melted snow. BP is quite exposed to cold North and North East winds but the close proximity of the Humber should keep the ground  frost free.
Posted by: LH, January 29, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 16
The pitch covers (if used) protect down to -5c (from memory). It would take a proper icy blast tomorrow night for Saturday's game to be threatened.
Posted by: gtfc98, January 29, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 17
When was the last time a home game was called off due to snow/ice? I can't remember one for a long time
Posted by: Abdul19, January 29, 2015, 5:10pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from gtfc98
When was the last time a home game was called off due to snow/ice? I can't remember one for a long time

Think it was a Trophy game v York, Feb 2012.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 29, 2015, 5:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Thanks Wincy x

Are you sure he's not more of a Fred Talbot.
Posted by: Maringer, January 29, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 20
For the record, I have never suggested Ian Brown should have a male masturbation and then tell me about it.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 29, 2015, 6:27pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from The Yard Dog

I remember watching the game on the Anglia TV highlights show - full of expectation as I didn't know what the score was so was hoping we would get past them but no such luck...John Deehan got their goal as I recall

You can imagine in the Norwich studios they were all "over the moon" with this result and I particularly seem to remember their presenter Stuart Jarrold getting right up my nose with their team winning!

Think this was probably the last time we got so far in the League Cup...last 8. I'd give anything to be in round 1 as things stand

Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 29, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 22
Will need a beer coat Saturday.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 29, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yeah.  :(

We did beat Chris Woods in the snowball fight though.  :)
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, January 30, 2015, 1:20am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

There were some great names on both team sheets! I started at toll bar when Paul Wilkinson was in the 4th Year, he lived round the corner from us in Holton Le Clay - good times for all back then!
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, January 30, 2015, 1:23am; Reply: 25
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I remember watching the game on the Anglia TV highlights show - full of expectation as I didn't know what the score was so was hoping we would get past them but no such luck...John Deehan got their goal as I recall

You can imagine in the Norwich studios they were all "over the moon" with this result and I particularly seem to remember their presenter Stuart Jarrold getting right up my nose with their team winning!

Think this was probably the last time we got so far in the League Cup...last 8. I'd give anything to be in round 1 as things stand

Channels 4 yorkshiremen.......Ahem......."an you try telling kids today and they wouldn't believe you!"
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 30, 2015, 9:31am; Reply: 26
I don't think the pitch will be a problem, as said above by LH regards the covers.

If the temp drops below minus again tonight and the ice/slush hasn't cleared I suspect it'll be the safety issue of the surrounding streets that will get the game called off if anything.  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 30, 2015, 9:47am; Reply: 27
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't think the pitch will be a problem, as said above by LH regards the covers.

If the temp drops below minus again tonight and the ice/slush hasn't cleared I suspect it'll be the safety issue of the surrounding streets that will get the game called off if anything.  

Yeah, the elf and safety police will be wringing their hands. It used to be that people just went about their business, slipping and sliding (no Paul Simon references please) to wherever they needed to be, with the occasional ar$e touch down.

Meh! when i were a lad and all that..................................................
Posted by: BIGChris, January 30, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, the elf and safety police will be wringing their hands. It used to be that people just went about their business, slipping and sliding (no Paul Simon references please) to wherever they needed to be, with the occasional ar$e touch down.

Meh! when i were a lad and all that..................................................

Just thinking the same. It is a conference game ffs. It is not as if there will be a couple of hundred thousand people attending.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 30, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 29
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye, I can remember a game way back, late 70's, early 80's I think when I'd just gone through the turnstiles of The Pontoon and went ar$e over tip on a patch of ice, much to the amusement of everyone around me. I had a bit of a graze on my arm but I picked myself up, had a laugh and carried on my way.

If that were to happen on Saturday then it'd be a no win, no fee claim against the club from one of these bloody injury lawyers for you bods that we see on TV all the time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 30, 2015, 10:50am; Reply: 30
Quoted from diehardmariner

More probably the open steps inside the ground. Safety of spectators seems to be quite often quoted by the spoilsports these days.

We stood in the open corner for a cup game in January 1959 against Man.City and watched the players come out if the tunnel and immediately start rubbing their legs with the snow. There must have been 3-4  inches of snow on the pitch because no grass was visible and we stood for 90 minutes in a lot more than that stamping our feet to keep warm. I could be wrong but I don't remember one snowball being thrown though. Town drew 2-2 and won the replay at Maine Road.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 30, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin

We did beat Chris Woods in the snowball fight though.  :)

Seem to recall an away game probably 25 years ago (Wigan??) where there was a snowball fight on the bank behind the goal
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 30, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Seem to recall an away game probably 25 years ago (Wigan??) where there was a snowball fight on the bank behind the goal

January 91, the season we beat Exeter on the last day of the season to go up.

We were awful and lost 2-0 but as you say, most of the time Town fans spent having a snowball fight on that grassy bank that they used to call an away end at Springfield Park.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 30, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 33
Next weekend then les outside the green man?  :P
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 30, 2015, 6:51pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Next weekend then les outside the green man?  :P

Won't be doing FGR this season Woz. I'm going to Dover and a weekend away for Barnet. Can't afford to do all 3 so I'm missing FGR as I've been there 3 times before.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 30, 2015, 7:36pm; Reply: 35
Halifax v Barnet subject to a 9.30am pitch inspection
Posted by: DickBarton, January 30, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 36
Snowey is going in tonight to put tin foil down and leave a hair drier underneath. Keep it to yourself though.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:41pm