Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 18, 2015, 6:52am
There as been quite a bit of bad mouthing on here about him but yesterday credit to him he got it absolutely RIGHT. Ollie Palmer may just well be a master stroke he not only scored a lovely goal but made another and on another day could have had a hat trick. The fans and the players have taken a instant liking to the guy who seems to be a talisman.

Still early days but if Palmer can be the catalyst and lead the front line this gives our defence more time to become a tighter unit and become more attack minded. With the imminent signings of one or two further players this sounds like good intent by Hurst I for one am willing to give him a chance.

Still all to play for bring em on.  
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, January 18, 2015, 7:25am; Reply: 1
Hurst makes a habit getting it right against teams at the top end. I need to see us put some smaller teams to bed. You look at the league table we are a couple of wins from mid table and look at how many points we have thrown against strugglers. Get the tactics right against those teams and we will start to look like a promotion team. Although credit where its due well done PH and lads now lets kick on from here.
Posted by: TAGG, January 18, 2015, 9:16am; Reply: 2
Give him and the players great credit for yesterday, got the tactics right, played our own game at a fast tempo, for once didnt give a excrement about how the opposition went about there game and we attacked from the off.
Having said that it will take more than one game to change my mind about Hurst.  
Posted by: denni266, January 18, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 3
Proud to be a town fan this morning.. .It  seemed a different team yesterday with a different  manager and game plan,  one game wont change my mind about  Hurst either. but it was big step in the right direction yesterday.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 18, 2015, 9:36am; Reply: 4
Fair play to TAGG & denni for their posts. I too hope this isnt a one off.

Seems Martin Allen was taken by surprise as he expected us to play  narrow as he had seen us v Gateshead last week
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 18, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 5
It was nice to see Hurst more relaxed in interview after the game. I don't know if anyone noticed but his pre-match Telewag interview was much more upbeat than his normal as well. Seemed to me that the side reflected this positivity.

But the proof of the pudding will be in the next league game when the fans need to see the same disrespect for the opposition. We saw Town steamroller Barnet and that is the way to play to get out of this league. As a team performance it was better than the Gateshead and Alfreton matches where the scores owed a fair bit to bad defending. Barnet were pressured from start to finish and Town's constant chasing and pressure would have deserved at least 2 more goals.

I hope the manager realises from this game that worrying about the opposition is the road to failure. Just get our own game right.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 18, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 6
More consistent performances like yesterday at home and we will be right up there come May. Our home form is the problem, only Braintree, Wrexham and Altringham have lost more games at home in the top 18 this season. Lets hope Paul focuses on our strengths instead of the oppositions weaknesses.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 18, 2015, 10:37am; Reply: 7
Agree with all the above and we have been here before, remember last year when we went to Cambridge and won, but we all hope this is the going to be the norm and not the exception!
Posted by: maxfox44, January 18, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 8
Love the way all of goals were scored with Hurst sat in the stand.  Diog was giving like a dutch windmill, when he was on his own in the dugout.
Posted by: Sussexmariner, January 18, 2015, 11:16am; Reply: 9
Like most fans here I was blown away by the performance yesterday, well done the Town players and well done Hurst.

The one thing that all successful teams have is the players "playing for their manager" I have never doubted Hursts ability to get players to play for him, he shows tremendous loyalty to his team (too much sometimes in my opinion) but it's just this inconsistency thing that has plagued his time here. Yesterday's performance was full of pace, power and commitment for 90 minutes and even after going behind on 5 minutes you could see it just made the players more focused on making sure that this was a game they were going to win!

Because of this one performance all the gloom has lifted off The fishy which can only be a good thing but as someone said earlier "we've been her before" The Barnet game is now a benchmark for the rest of the season, I'm not saying we should win all the remaining games but if we can have that sort of performance and commitment till the end of the season, we could have a chance of getting out of this God forsaken League!!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 18, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 10
Yeah, echo what has been said but i fear we have left it too late to mount a promotion charge unless we do a Mansfield, whilst beating Barnet again and Bristol at home. It's so frustrating having seen us drop so many points at home to average opposition. We could be romping this league ala Crawley and Fleetwood. We have the tools and need to use them better than we have been. If it is to be the play offs again, then we need to go into them with the same attitude as yesterday

Credit to the team, manager and the fans for a great game. We looked fit and strong and ready for the run in. Let's hope it continues.
Posted by: Garth, January 18, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 11
I thought Palmer made all difference attacking wise yesterday with his non stop running and the ability to hold on to the ball, he took a lot of the pressure off the shop in so much as he had time to ferret about behind Ollie and join him as a twin strike force, normally its the find Lennie`s head game and see what comes of it today we had a plan B, first time all season.

The defense was magnificent again as usual, but if I was to be just a little critical it would be that IMO Parslow looked what he was on the day a centre back playing out of position but he did OK, and IMO Macca should have waited a split second longer before commiting himself for the spot kick as the pace of the ball was not that fast.

Lastly well done PH you out thought Allen,  and the club for lifting the atmosphere to a flag waving party, Oh how I would have loved the same against Lincoln
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 18, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 12
I'm not Hurst's biggest fan, but that got the weekend off to a great start. Whatever he did differently yesterday he should take credit for.

More of the same please!  :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 18, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 13
Great performance well deserved victory first to the second ball every time loads of desire throughout the pitch. Still think brizzle will win the league and can see us having more dealings with Barnet come may when it will really matter PS magnay palmer (100)
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, January 18, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 14
If Hurst can inspire the team to play like that the majority of the time he will change opinions. More of the Barnet performance between now and end of Season we will be in play offs performances like Lincoln and we will be down here next season.
Up to team/management team now which route we take....
UTM
Posted by: RichMariner, January 18, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 15
I just wonder how much of that higher tempo is down to the players.

For all we know, Hurst might send his team out there every game to play with the same intensity as we saw yesterday.

He can ask a lot of the players; he can instruct them; he can tell them what to do, but ultimately when they cross that white line it's up to them. He loses an element of control (like every manager does) and has to rely on them carrying out the duties he's given them.

I only say this because the players seem to be frustrated with themselves that they can't find the consistency, rather than highlighting any changes that the manager made to their approach.
Posted by: EY Mariner, January 18, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 16
There's no doubt yesterday could be a catalyst for the sort of run that we need to get right back into title contention and, going on the little bit of Twitter activity I saw after the game, the players know that has to be the standard for the rest of the season. But I also can't help feeling that, as well as the team played, the crowd also did its job by sticking with them even when we went behind. I don't know whether that was because there wasn't the expectation of victory that there might be against other teams. But what I hope is that yesterday's result will help us all to pull together and back this team over the next three months or so.
Posted by: acko338, January 18, 2015, 2:10pm; Reply: 17
Palmer's mobility and willingness to hold up the ball gives J L-L more time and room, and the width was evident yesterday - Aswad could have had a field day on the left flank yesterday, and three more accurate crosses would have given Palmer at least a hat-trick.

Loads of quick challenges and 90 minutes tracking and running - great to see - always a free player going FORWARD for a pass.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 18, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 18
Nuneaton next, the mother of all bogey teams, we have only beaten them one in five attempts in the league.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8502180

Hopefully he will be more upbeat for this game
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 18, 2015, 4:32pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GrimRob
Nuneaton next, the mother of all bogey teams, we have only beaten them one in five attempts in the league.

Might not be.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 18, 2015, 5:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

That will depend on whether he has learned anything from the psychology of the Barnet game. Give opponents no respect and play the game at the pace we should be playing it.

Posted by: chaos33, January 18, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 21
Nuneaton have the worst away record (lost 13 out of 16) and the poorest goal difference (-33) in the division. They have conceded 59 goals and are second bottom. We must ruthlessly brush them aside. No more room for slip ups to sh1t teams at BP, and no excuses. We must continue where we left off yesterday.
Posted by: Rick12, January 18, 2015, 6:04pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Like most fans here I was blown away by the performance yesterday, well done the Town players and well done Hurst.

The one thing that all successful teams have is the players "playing for their manager" I have never doubted Hursts ability to get players to play for him, he shows tremendous loyalty to his team (too much sometimes in my opinion) !!
To be fair to Hurst I do like how he comes across in interviews.Bit dry but a nice enough guy

Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 18, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33
Nuneaton have the worst away record (lost 13 out of 16) and the poorest goal difference (-33) in the division. They have conceded 59 goals and are second bottom. We must ruthlessly brush them aside. No more room for slip ups to sh1t teams at BP, and no excuses. We must continue where we let off yesterday.

Except we're playing them at their place...?
Posted by: moosey_club, January 18, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 24

hahaha, and that was exactly what we said before we played them here...what could go wrong???  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 18, 2015, 7:03pm; Reply: 25
The point stands though. They're shit and we have to beat them.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 18, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 26
I am still not convinced that Hurst is the man to take us up,

BUT

A good days work against the top side of this league,

A good signing in Palmer who worked well with Lenny,

Just get our lads to play like that every week Paul,

Then I just might change my mind ( again )  :) :)
Posted by: chaos33, January 18, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 27

Hahaha yeah, so we are. What a dumbass. Let's check out their home record....
Posted by: chaos33, January 18, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 28
They've lost 7 games at home...two more than us, with a -7 goal difference. Only 5 teams have a poorer home record. As for us - we've only lost 2 of 13 away games.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 18, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 29
Think it was a Rodman wonder goal that won it for us last year at their place? Pretty awful game if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 18, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33
They've lost 7 games at home...

Yep including 4 of their last 6.

A must win. A draw would not be a 'decent away point' which is a phrase that gets bandied about.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 18, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Abdul19

Yep including 4 of their last 6.

A must win. A draw would not be a 'decent away point' which is a phrase that gets bandied about.

According to the bookies we have a 62% chance of winning, so a draw would be dropping points.
Posted by: easypeersy, January 18, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 32
We will not be playing Nuneaton next Saturday, we will be playing Wrexham in the FA Trophy!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 18, 2015, 10:57pm; Reply: 33
I actually think we'll be playing Gateshead on Saturday, judging by the weather.
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, January 19, 2015, 12:16am; Reply: 34
Think it was a Rodman wonder goal that won it for us last year at their place? Pretty awful game if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Yep, that was the one. The stewards were monstrous to look at, and I'm still not sure whether their apparent friendliness was just to soften me up for dismemberment. V friendly lot in the club bar afterwards though (happy to serve dismembered Town fans).
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:47pm