Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BIGChris, January 10, 2015, 11:54pm
Next Saturday Grimsby Town Football Club reach a crossroads, not just for this season but quite possibly for the next 5 or so years at least.
I say that not because a defeat, or even a draw, against Barnet will virtually guarantee we are not going to win the league but it will mean more points dropped at home and that is key for me.
The players are clearly struggling at Blundell Park and are devoid of confidence. I know some will cry ‘man up’ but confidence is a key element in football at all levels. Without it, chances are snatched at and passes tend to become longer just to get rid. How do the players regain the confidence that will allow them to play at their maximum or at least close to it? I don’t know other than working their nuts off and the manager attempting to instil in them a belief in what they are doing.

I know for a fact that the manager talks constantly to the players about playing at a tempo and about getting momentum. That is what the players are told to do. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I haven’t witnessed it anywhere near enough and especially at home.
Despite what I read on here I don’t believe we set up to be defensive. We have enough players with attacking intent in our line up every week. I think that those who claim we play hoofball should watch a few old video’s of John Becks old Cambridge side.

What I would say is whether it is down to the manager, players or even the much maligned supporters  ;)  the home performances and results have not been acceptable for a Town side plying it trade in the 5th tier of English football and this has to change and change quickly.

To my mind we must win v Barnet. If not the crowd will turn and numbers will drop dramatically forcing the hand of the board in my opinion. The knock on effect of lower crowds, and in turn lower budgets, are it makes promotion even less likely.

I can only assume every Town fan wants us to be promoted? If so, then on Saturday it is vital we get a passionate vocal crowd behind the team. Not people ready to jump on every error, but people prepared to encourage and support for the entire 90 mins. I guarantee that staying away will not help the club regain their place in the football league.

If we can get 3 points with a positive performance and a positive crowd we can kick on for the rest of the season. Players will regain the confidence and the crowd may begin to think we may have a chance.

As always it is fine margins but I honestly think next Saturday is pivotal
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2015, 12:06am; Reply: 1
Good post Chris and i admire your optimism but all the fight has gone out of me i'm afraid and i'm past caring.
Posted by: LH, January 11, 2015, 12:09am; Reply: 2
Maybe it's the fans who should man up? It's not pretty but it's the flipping conference. Let's get out of this league!
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 12:22am; Reply: 3
This is a great approach Chris.

Shove the Barnet fans in the Osmond corner and open up the main Osmond to Town fans.  
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 11, 2015, 12:28am; Reply: 4
Excellent post Chris, I will be on afternoons next week so will not be able to make the match, I also said a week or so ago that I wouldn't be going back to Blundell Park in a hurry but after reading your reasoned post I would of gone if I could of made it.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 12:45am; Reply: 5
Be lucky to get 3000, and they dont deserve the crowds they do get

Appalling home form, a lack of fitness, and each player capable of one good game in 5, (Pearson/Disley excluded)

Nothing to do with confidence, shocking ability at times mixed with the worst manager this club has ever, ever seen

Should have been sacked in the summer.....hope of course Town win
Posted by: mariner91, January 11, 2015, 12:58am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen

Appalling home form, a lack of fitness, and each player capable of one good game in 5, (Pearson/Disley excluded)

Nothing to do with confidence, shocking ability at times mixed with the worst manager this club has ever, ever seen

Definitely not true. Neil Woods and Mike Newell were worse.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2015, 5:49am; Reply: 7
To be honest I am not sure if we are that much better away from home than at home, yes we have had some good results but have we actually played that well.

Apart from the Gateshead game I cannot remember coming away from a game saying that was a good game. Some of the wins have come on the back of a dour performance with probably the winning goals being the only shot on target or just about anyway, Wrexham, Macclesfield and Kidderminster for examples.

I cannot comment on the Torquay or Braintree wins and the Dartford draw as I couldn't make those games but other poor performances, Aldershot, LIncoln, Altrincham, Telford.

I am not jumping on the bandwagon of recent poor results as I have said from the start of the season I didn't think we were good enough to get promoted or Hurst is the man to get us up and I would be more than happy to be proved wrong so I don't see it as a confidence issue I really honestly don't think the squad as a whole is good enough.

McKeown, probably the best keeper we have had for a while but has had a few wobbles this season, Thomas for me is having a poor season, Pearson will always be a steady Eddie and Toto having a good game yesterday has been quite dodgy at times, Magnay looks like he may well be "Player of the Year", Disley, one of my favourite players but probably his poorest season so far for us, Brown, a good early part of the season but recently having poor games.

Clay, I have to admit I wasn't impressed with his performances whilst on trial but has really improved but again his performances have tailed off. Arnold despite having one of his best games for a while yesterday has played at times as if he cannot be bothered, Mackreth I just don't rate at all as being much better than Colbeck

Nielsen apart from odd glimpses just hasn't recreated his form from his loan period, LJL is LJL and will always be the focus of divided opinions, Pittman I think has the ability to be one of our better players and for me I would rather see him played out in a wider position as some of his better play is cutting in from the wing.

Other bit part players such as Hannah, McLaughlin, Bignot, Hurst himself obviously doesn't think are good enough as they hardly ever start a game and Parslow another signing of a make do player who yesterday had a poor game at right back.

As I said I would like nothing more than to be proved wrong but I just don't see it happening unless we sign some better players or the performances by some of them really improve.

Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2015, 7:15am; Reply: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry
To be honest I am not sure if we are that much better away from home than at home, yes we have had some good results but have we actually played that well.

Apart from the Gateshead game I cannot remember coming away from a game saying that was a good game. Some of the wins have come on the back of a dour performance with probably the winning goals being the only shot on target or just about anyway, Wrexham, Macclesfield and Kidderminster for examples.

I cannot comment on the Torquay or Braintree wins and the Dartford draw as I couldn't make those games but other poor performances, Aldershot, LIncoln, Altrincham, Telford.

I am not jumping on the bandwagon of recent poor results as I have said from the start of the season I didn't think we were good enough to get promoted or Hurst is the man to get us up and I would be more than happy to be proved wrong so I don't see it as a confidence issue I really honestly don't think the squad as a whole is good enough.

McKeown, probably the best keeper we have had for a while but has had a few wobbles this season, Thomas for me is having a poor season, Pearson will always be a steady Eddie and Toto having a good game yesterday has been quite dodgy at times, Magnay looks like he may well be "Player of the Year", Disley, one of my favourite players but probably his poorest season so far for us, Brown, a good early part of the season but recently having poor games.

Clay, I have to admit I wasn't impressed with his performances whilst on trial but has really improved but again his performances have tailed off. Arnold despite having one of his best games for a while yesterday has played at times as if he cannot be bothered, Mackreth I just don't rate at all as being much better than Colbeck

Nielsen apart from odd glimpses just hasn't recreated his form from his loan period, LJL is LJL and will always be the focus of divided opinions, Pittman I think has the ability to be one of our better players and for me I would rather see him played out in a wider position as some of his better play is cutting in from the wing.

Other bit part players such as Hannah, McLaughlin, Bignot, Hurst himself obviously doesn't think are good enough as they hardly ever start a game and Parslow another signing of a make do player who yesterday had a poor game at right back.

As I said I would like nothing more than to be proved wrong but I just don't see it happening unless we sign some better players or the performances by some of them really improve.

And that in a nutshell is it I could not have described it better myself,  as for the crowd yesterday small sections in the Pontoon tried to generate an atmosphere but TBH the silence was created by lack of action on the field, only a win on Wednesday will bring an extra couple of hundred in,  because its on TV, nobody got on the players backs yesterday so that can`t be used as an excuse, and to bring on two subs when the game was over was plain daft
Posted by: DocTower, January 11, 2015, 7:29am; Reply: 9
Both Big Chris array array and Garth sum everything up . Everyone is blaming  each other it seems .  I though Christmas was pivotal  , those games have swayed many to the dark side .  Also the manner of those two games has effected the players more than we know . Just my opinion ,  one swallow doesn't  make a summer but it helps .
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 11, 2015, 7:44am; Reply: 10
I definitely be will there firstly because

I. Still believe we have a outside chance albeit a slim chance and 2. I want to see us compete and beat the best side in this league the pressure will be on but to get out of this league you need effort and determination. A win against Barnet would spring board our final push and send Barnet into panic mode they have been top for far to long.

Come on Town I know you have ability please show us something special because believe it or not 99.9% of fans WANT the Players,Fenty and Paul Hurst to win and get us back in the league proper.

Posted by: Rick12, January 11, 2015, 9:05am; Reply: 11
Good post Chris but I don't think a win should make a break our season.The season is a long campaign and one game doesn't define it.They will be up for it as well and will provide a stern test for our players.So long as the team in put in a good performance and we don't loose I will be satisfied. Of course I would love the 3 points but its going to be a tough call.Hopefully though from reading other fans view  players do up the performances as for me this can  make so much difference.Ive seen a fair bit of football of growing up and to a lesser extent Grimsby now and players with a excellent mentality and who try don't half make a difference.Hopefully we can see more of these players at Town in the near future and we rise up them leagues and in the not to different future be where we should be which in my opinion should be league 1
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 12
Pivotal my bottom, even if we lose the manager of this club and people like Boylen will stay we are in a good position
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, January 11, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 13
Great post Big Chris. For me it's one last chance for Hurst to prove people wrong we lose that game and haven't shown passion/desire it will be time to clear the decks. If we have a performance equal to Huddersfield game last season and lose then so be it but performances have to improve. Bums on seats are a must!
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 10:42am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Rick12
Good post Chris but I don't think a win should make a break our season.The season is a long campaign and one game doesn't define it.They will be up for it as well and will provide a stern test for our players.So long as the team in put in a good performance and we don't loose I will be satisfied. Of course I would love the 3 points but its going to be a tough call.Hopefully though from reading other fans view  players do up the performances as for me this can  make so much difference.Ive seen a fair bit of football of growing up and to a lesser extent Grimsby now and players with a excellent mentality and who try don't half make a difference.Hopefully we can see more of these players at Town in the near future and we rise up them leagues and in the not to different future be where we should be which in my opinion should be league 1

My point is not about the 3 points but about the knock on effect of not getting them in this particular game
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 10:44am; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris

My point is not about the 3 points but about the knock on effect of not getting them in this particular game

In true town style we will probs lose at home and win away, we don't do things easy here
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 16
Pivotal my bottom, even if we lose the manager of this club and people like Boylen will stay we are in a good position

They may say we are in a good position but it IS pivotal IMO because without 3 points we will irreparably damaged financially not for this season, but potentially for many seasons to come
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 10:48am; Reply: 17
Quoted from BIGChris

They may say we are in a good position but it IS pivotal IMO because without 3 points we will irreparably damaged financially not for this season, but potentially for many seasons to come

If we did lose would you sack hurst and roll the dice
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 18
Quoted from BIGChris

Curious why you say that BC, could expand upon it? We could win it and lose the next 5, or lose it and win the next 5. There's still lots of points to play for either way. It's a huge game because there is a hope that we can prolong the slim hope of catching Barnet and making the title race closer for everyone at the top.(I still think Bristol Rovers will finish ahead of Barnet).
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 11, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 19

Shut up, do you even go? You are a total WUM!

Posted by: ackomariner, January 11, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 20
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Good question
Posted by: EY Mariner, January 11, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 21
the worst manager this club has ever, ever seen

Have you forgotten Nicky Law? Graham Rodger? Alan Buckley Mk III? Neil Woods? Mike Newell? I haven't. You're talking utter garbage.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 22

I honestly think the hand of the board will be forced because the knock on effect of vastly reduced crowds will damage the finances not just for this season, but for seasons to come.

Without promotion I wouldn't start next season with PH in charge. Change next week, change in a month or once the season is over.? Not too bothered either way
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 23
Brucie is clearly a troll. Best thing to do is completely ignore his posts.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 24
Quoted from BIGChris

I honestly think the hand of the board will be forced because the knock on effect of vastly reduced crowds will damage the finances not just for this season, but for seasons to come.

Without promotion I wouldn't start next season with PH in charge. Change next week, change in a month or once the season is over.? Not too bothered either way

Pretty much how I see it
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 25
Quoted from EY Mariner

Have you forgotten Nicky Law? Graham Rodger? Alan Buckley Mk III? Neil Woods? Mike Newell? I haven't. You're talking utter garbage.

I never put Buckley in with the dross you mentioned that man gave me great pleasure over the years, memories that this younger generation might not ever have
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 26
Quoted from BIGChris

Spot on. Personally believe it's time to roll the dice because the owner and the manager are in danger of alienating some die-hards.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 27
AB MKIII got us to Wembley with a worse squad that Woods got us relegated with.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 11, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 28
Quoted from BIGChris

I think we should stick with him  however if it looks likely that we won't get into the play-off spots then we should change. Unless we do get promotion then he should go at the end of the season. He should bare this in mind with the fa trophy, winning that mickey mouse trophy will not save his job at the end of the season.
Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 29
Quoted from BIGChris
Next Saturday Grimsby Town Football Club reach a crossroads, not just for this season but quite possibly for the next 5 or so years at least.
I say that not because a defeat, or even a draw, against Barnet will virtually guarantee we are not going to win the league but it will mean more points dropped at home and that is key for me.
The players are clearly struggling at Blundell Park and are devoid of confidence. I know some will cry ‘man up’ but confidence is a key element in football at all levels. Without it, chances are snatched at and passes tend to become longer just to get rid. How do the players regain the confidence that will allow them to play at their maximum or at least close to it? I don’t know other than working their nuts off and the manager attempting to instil in them a belief in what they are doing.

I know for a fact that the manager talks constantly to the players about playing at a tempo and about getting momentum. That is what the players are told to do. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I haven’t witnessed it anywhere near enough and especially at home.
Despite what I read on here I don’t believe we set up to be defensive. We have enough players with attacking intent in our line up every week. I think that those who claim we play hoofball should watch a few old video’s of John Becks old Cambridge side.

What I would say is whether it is down to the manager, players or even the much maligned supporters  ;)  the home performances and results have not been acceptable for a Town side plying it trade in the 5th tier of English football and this has to change and change quickly.

To my mind we must win v Barnet. If not the crowd will turn and numbers will drop dramatically forcing the hand of the board in my opinion. The knock on effect of lower crowds, and in turn lower budgets, are it makes promotion even less likely.

I can only assume every Town fan wants us to be promoted? If so, then on Saturday it is vital we get a passionate vocal crowd behind the team. Not people ready to jump on every error, but people prepared to encourage and support for the entire 90 mins. I guarantee that staying away will not help the club regain their place in the football league.

If we can get 3 points with a positive performance and a positive crowd we can kick on for the rest of the season. Players will regain the confidence and the crowd may begin to think we may have a chance.

As always it is fine margins but I honestly think next Saturday is pivotal

"I know for a fact that the manager talks constantly to the players about playing at a tempo and about getting momentum. That is what the players are told to do. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I haven’t witnessed it anywhere near enough and especially at home."
So if this is true why after every excrement home performance doesn't he say " I gave them the game plan and they didn't stick to it" instead of blaming ref, luck, fans and other crap he comes out with?????

"Despite what I read on here I don’t believe we set up to be defensive. We have enough players with attacking intent in our line up every week. I think that those who claim we play hoofball should watch a few old video’s of John Becks old Cambridge side."
Well he does because he worry's more about what the opposition will do and try to nullify them before we are allowed to play our game and no I don't want to look at any old Beck stuff thanks I'm depressed about football enough at the moment.

"I can only assume every Town fan wants us to be promoted? If so, then on Saturday it is vital we get a passionate vocal crowd behind the team. Not people ready to jump on every error, but people prepared to encourage and support for the entire 90 mins. I guarantee that staying away will not help the club regain their place in the football league."
Well Im staying away because I cant put up with the frustration of watching boring football orchestrated by a cardboard cut out on the touchline and many others we will to, we will be lucky to see 3000 max there on Saturday.
I guarantee you that keeping Hurst as our Manager will not regain our place in the football league.  

You can only see thing one way because you are to close to the people at the club. I don't know any of em so my views are just purely by what I see when I pay my 18 quid..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 30
Quoted from 1739

I think we should stick with him  however if it looks likely that we won't get into the play-off spots then we should change. Unless we do get promotion then he should go at the end of the season. He should bare this in mind with the fa trophy, winning that mickey mouse trophy will not save his job at the end of the season.

Will not save his job? I'd say should not.
Posted by: DocTower, January 11, 2015, 11:56am; Reply: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Spot on. Personally believe it's time to roll the dice because the owner and the manager are in danger of alienating some die-hards.

I fear that we are past the alienation point .  Dammed if we do dammed  don't  .
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 1739

Looking at it from his point of view though,  it might help on his CV at pastures new
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from TAGG

You can only see thing one way because you are to close to the people at the club. I don't know any of em so my views are just purely by what I see when I pay my 18 quid..

I see things my way with what I witness with my own eyes, it is called an opinion. Who you think I am 'close' too I don't know and frankly don't care.
You pay your money (or at least you did) and so do I and just because you may disagree doesn't mean that my view or yours is any less valid than the other
Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from BIGChris

I see things my way with what I witness with my own eyes, it is called an opinion. Who you think I am 'close' too I don't know and frankly don't care.
You pay your money (or at least you did) and so do I and just because you may disagree doesn't mean that my view or yours is any less valid than the other

"I know for a fact that the manager talks constantly to the players about playing at a tempo and about getting momentum"

Are you there at the time he is saying this or is this something you are told by someone at 'the club'?????????????
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 12:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TAGG

I think you are being harsh on BigChris, I have always found his views reasoned and fair and even when I don't agree with him he often has valid points worthy of debate.
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2015, 12:14pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from BIGChris

A damming statement from an ex Trust moderate, but I would think it reflects the feelings of most of us, lets hope for some back to back wins for ours and his sake
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth

[/b]

A damming statement from an ex Trust moderate, but I would think it reflects the feelings of most of us, lets hope for some back to back wins for ours and his sake

Wtf??
Posted by: Abdul19, January 11, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 38
It'll be interesting to see how Barnet react to the Lincoln defeat. I know they've lost other games this season, but that was the first time they've taken a beating (I'm not counting that Trophy game when they played the under 5s)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Garth

[/b]

Too many people leaving the building IMHO. Frankly, not sure that anything other than a win next Saturday will turn it around because most don't seem too bothered about what happens at Gateshead.
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2015, 12:26pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from BIGChris

Wtf??

Whoops! from an ex Trust moderate should have read an ex key Trust moderate, that better ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Too late, they already have. I've been saying for a long time that Hurst will never win the fans over and i feared this would happen if the season went along the same lines as the last two, which it is increasingly looking like it will.

Not signing more firepower has come back to bite him on the sr$e, as i suspected it would. We all have different views about how the game should be played but whichever system is used, it has to have an end product. From what i understand, the away games may bring more points but the performances are just as dire. How many goals have we scored over the last month or two?

Talking to many Town fans over Xmas and one in particular said, i know we are in the 5th tier and the players are not the best but is it too much to ask that every now and then, a player does something to get you out of your seat? It is supposed to be entertainment after all.

Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Garth

[/b]

Looking at it from his point of view though,  it might help on his CV at pastures new

I agree, and the cynic in me does wonder whether he takes the trophy far more seriously than he should for that very reason. If ph can get us into the play offs and a trophy semi final again this year he makes himself possibly the number 1 Target for those non league chairmen looking for a change of manager
Posted by: Rick12, January 11, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from forza ivano

I agree, and the cynic in me does wonder whether he takes the trophy far more seriously than he should for that very reason. If ph can get us into the play offs and a trophy semi final again this year he makes himself possibly the number 1 Target for those non league chairmen looking for a change of manager
Makes sense Forza.Most in the game when it comes down to it will protect their own back

Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Rick12
Makes sense Forza.Most in the game when it comes down to it will protect their own back

Especially when this is hursts only chance to have a career in football management.his percentage or safety first approach has got him decent enough results plus he has syrvived for far longer than most managers.he won't be long out of work
Posted by: grimps, January 11, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 45
I honestly belive he's trying to get himself fired now instead of doing the decent thing to retain his pay out.

The 0-0 against Gateshead was without doubt the worst possible result , most fans would have been happy to lose that game and give a few of the bench warmers a run out. some fans would have been happy for us to win and carry on with a chance of Wembley, even an exciting 3-3 draw might have just been bareable.
What we got was another mind numbing , boring game of football with an unwanted away replay a few days before we play the league leaders.

This must have happend on purpose , even the chucking the subs on with a minute to go must have been a finger in the air to the fans that compalin about his subtitutes.
I'm sure he's just taking the urine out of us now
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 1:18pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from BIGChris

we were irrepairably damaged when Hurst was not sacked in the summer, take your rallying call and go and shove it up Hurst and Fenty's bottom
Posted by: Hagrid, January 11, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 47

we were irrepairably damaged when Hurst was not sacked in the summer, take your rallying call and go and shove it up Hurst and Fenty's bottom

Bruce, may i ask, i totaly understand you do not want Hurst as our manager, but would you honestly rather us be mid-table with someone else, or 4th with PH- just give the guy till the end of the season because he isnt going to be sacked. this much is clear
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Hagrid

Bruce, may i ask, i totaly understand you do not want Hurst as our manager, but would you honestly rather us be mid-table with someone else, or 4th with PH- just give the guy till the end of the season because he isnt going to be sacked. this much is clear

I want him out now, his brand of football, his interviews, his disrespect for the supporters, his blame anyone else but himself attitude, his persistant picking of useless favourites, I couldnt care less...there is a seething anger around this club at present, and he is responsible for it.

He's taken the urine out of supporters for too long, and now the campain has started in full to get him out...

Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, January 11, 2015, 1:50pm; Reply: 49

I want him out now, his brand of football, his interviews, his disrespect for the supporters, his blame anyone else but himself attitude, his persistant picking of useless favourites, I couldnt care less...there is a seething anger around this club at present, and he is responsible for it.

He's taken the urine out of supporters for too long, and now the campain has started in full to get him out...

I am not sure turning every thread on the Fishy in to a Hurst out thread a fully started campain :)

Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Marinerz93

I think you are being harsh on BigChris, I have always found his views reasoned and fair and even when I don't agree with him he often has valid points worthy of debate.

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across that way. Every time he's been on Humberside I enjoyed his contributions but I just feel his opinion is a bit clouded with being so close to the establishment. If I did offend BC it wasn't meant.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 11, 2015, 2:31pm; Reply: 51

Neil Woods? How can Hurst ever be compared to him. I am a season ticket holder and accept we are shocking at home but will give it a bit longer
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from TAGG

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across that way. Every time he's been on Humberside I enjoyed his contributions but I just feel his opinion is a bit clouded with being so close to the establishment. If I did offend BC it wasn't meant.

BC has always positioned himself on the Fenty side of the club, he paint this 'I am in the know' picture, and has done for years..

a sit there and accept crap sort of fan....each to their own
Posted by: BIGChris, January 11, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 53

BC has always positioned himself on the Fenty side of the club, he paint this 'I am in the know' picture, and has done for years..

This is nonsense and a quite simply a lie.

I am not on 'Fenty's side'  and never have been.

The only advantage I have over you is I actually go to the games so on that basis I guess i am 'in the know'
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from BIGChris

The only advantage I have over you is I actually go to the games so on that basis I guess i am 'in the know'

I think an apology and a bit of respect is in order to BC. I accept that I don't go to enough games to have a fully informed opinion on playing matters. I choose to go to less and less games because I'm fed up with how the club is run both on and the pitch. To have the input of someone who has Bc's knowledge only goes to improve the debate.
Posted by: sonik, January 11, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from BIGChris

Oh!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from sonik

Oh!

I think Chris and I don't know him is like me blinded by love for gtfc and is simply team Grimsby town
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from TAGG

Fair play Tagg, frustrations have got a hold of a lot of people.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 58

If you read the fishy and listen to his commentaries you would understand why BigChris is more in the know than the rest of us. I feel that he has had to hold back some of the things he would like to say because he has the club at heart.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 59

I think Chris and I don't know him is like me blinded by love for gtfc and is simply team Grimsby town

I think we all are mate. But as previously mentioned before:

Do we want sh1t or bust entertaining football or solid displays gaining results? I can only go by the scraps of football I've seen town play this season, but, we are very predictable and lack that bit of flair/spark that the likes of neilson can bring. Am not surprised that the crowds are dwindling to sorry (by our standards) levels. I can't understand the negative nature of what blundell park has become. Yes, we've always had a go at players, and we always will, but the lack of atmosphere v Lincoln, even at 1-0 up, IMHO lost us a lot of impetuous and as BC mentioned in the op, this game is pivotal to this season and the club
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2015, 4:14pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I think we all are mate. But as previously mentioned before:

Do we want sh1t or bust entertaining football or solid displays gaining results? I can only go by the scraps of football I've seen town play this season, but, we are very predictable and lack that bit of flair/spark that the likes of neilson can bring. Am not surprised that the crowds are dwindling to sorry (by our standards) levels. I can't understand the negative nature of what blundell park has become. Yes, we've always had a go at players, and we always will, but the lack of atmosphere v Lincoln, even at 1-0 up, IMHO lost us a lot of impetuous and as BC mentioned in the op, this game is pivotal to this season and the club

I'd take boring 1-0 wins every day if it meant getting out of this Shiite division, I struggle with losing to part time teams I know I shouldn't but I do. I don't no the name of the man to get us out of this league but Im convinced it's not hurst
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 11, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Maringer
Brucie is clearly a troll. Best thing to do is completely ignore his posts.

why ? because they dont agree with your over thinking all rosey in the garden crap ?

There are 2 camps on here, the one your in and the one others are in and just because you like to think you are more important because you happy clap is rubbish..

You keep happy clapping and let others say what they want to if they are not happy or dont agree with you.
Posted by: barralad, January 11, 2015, 4:39pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from jonnyboy82

why ? because they dont agree with your over thinking all rosey in the garden crap ?

There are 2 camps on here, the one your in and the one others are in and just because you like to think you are more important because you happy clap is rubbish..

You keep happy clapping and let others say what they want to if they are not happy or dont agree with you.

No, because he is offensive with every single word which comes from his keyboard. There are lots of people in the "Hurst Out" camp who, although I don't agree with them can understand from their reasoned approach where they are coming from. "Bruce" regrettably shows absolutely no quality in what he posts.

I can even partially understand your viewpoint but then you go and spoil it by accusing all of us who don't demand Hurst's head on a plate as "Happy Clappers". Most people who I choose to associate with football and GTFC wise wish things were better-we differ from others in what we think the solution is...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from jonnyboy82

There are no camps. Just because I want a change in the way the club is run doesn't mean I can't respect other peoples' opinions.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 11, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There are no camps. Just because I want a change in the way the club is run doesn't mean I can't respect other peoples' opinions.

Yes there are  " camps", those who want a change and those that dont.

The respect of other peoples opinions is something you should take up with others on here..
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 65
Hurst Out and Out Now
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Yes there are  " camps", those who want a change and those that dont.

The respect of other peoples opinions is something you should take up with others on here..

No camp is right either, just like there's not a right or wrong way to line up a football team. It's all about tolerance of the views of others, as events in the world have shown this week.. Nous sommes Grimsby.
Posted by: barralad, January 11, 2015, 5:01pm; Reply: 67
Well said Rob....
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 11, 2015, 5:01pm; Reply: 68
Je Suis drunk off
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 5:12pm; Reply: 69
Je Suis drunk off

That is your permanent and natural state  I'm afraid it won't ever get better. :)
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Brucie is clearly a troll. I'm amazed so many others, including yourself, don't see this clear fact. I'd be surprised if he was even a fan of GTFC, just seems to be trolling to create trouble as far as I can see. I don't bother to read any thread which he was started. Very sad and inadequate, but then I've never understood why trolls bother.

As for me, I'm a fan of GTFC so want us to do well. As I have clearly stated in the past in various threads, I think it would be too much of a gamble to change managers at this point in the season and don't believe that things would automagically become better if an unnamed somebody else took over.

Quite how this makes me a 'happy clapper', I don't know, but then I'm not the one going around name calling and trying to promulgate an "Us versus Them" vibe, simply because I have a different viewpoint to somebody else.

I don't think I'm more important than anybody else who actually attends the games, but my views about matches should certainly hold more weight than those who didn't bother to go to the games themselves. I was irritated by your uninformed posts on the 'Just back' thread last night because it would be nice to have some threads discussing football for a change instead the usual endless digs against Hurst and anybody who doesn't want him sacked instantly.

Frankly, I'm becoming very bored with the soap opera developing on these boards. It has become impossible to have a sensible discussion about games, formations or anything about the football without the thread being polluted by the endlessly repeated digs against Hurst. The 'Interview' thread yesterday was a case in point. Absolutely pointless, not funny, not informative, a waste of my time even reading through it.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 11, 2015, 5:59pm; Reply: 71
I honestly think with these players at his disposal AB would have got much more out of them but that's all hypothetical I am amazed we still have a chance given we have lost so many games at home.
Posted by: ackomariner, January 11, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from sonik

Oh!

You've been quiet just like your brother,, come out of hiding
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from ackomariner

You've been quiet just like your brother,, come out of hiding

;D
Posted by: Sussexmariner, January 11, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Maringer

I think it would be too much of a gamble to change managers at this point in the season

What's the gamble? What is Hurst doing this season that he hasn't done the season before  and the season before that? we will scrape into the play-offs and get beaten by much more adventurous, organise team like the season before and the season before that!!!!
we have nothing to lose in sacking Hurst, even if we don't get promoted with a new manager maybe just maybe it might not be so dire to watch
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 11, 2015, 6:53pm; Reply: 75
This is certainly a big week for the manager. By next Sunday he could be on the way to winning the Trophy and getting promotion. ;)

So, what would we say to that scenario? Would two 1-0 wins without any great improvement in playing performance change anyone's mind about the prospects for the season or their opinions about the manager and owner?

I'm in a bit of a cleft stick here with this and I suspect so are some other posters. On one hand we do not believe this manager is going to take us forward to L2 or galvanise supporters with power play football. But at the same time I would accept us grinding out a win in every home game between now and the end of the season by 1-0 and playing abysmally if it meant we were sure to be promoted. That is a possibility if we were lucky in the play offs though the odds are against it in my view. The margins in the way Town are playing are so slim that 1-0 can very easily be 0-1, as we have seen.

But is this week pivotal? The only person who can answer that is no longer posting on the Fishy.
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 11, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 76
Spot on. This thread started as a rallying call. I don't understand how any supporter could have a problem with that. There are already enough threads for people to have a go at Hurst on. I don't consider myself in any camp but the repetitive and divisive posts by a few on here are making any grown up debate impossible.

Quoted from Maringer

Brucie is clearly a troll. I'm amazed so many others, including yourself, don't see this clear fact. I'd be surprised if he was even a fan of GTFC, just seems to be trolling to create trouble as far as I can see. I don't bother to read any thread which he was started. Very sad and inadequate, but then I've never understood why trolls bother.

As for me, I'm a fan of GTFC so want us to do well. As I have clearly stated in the past in various threads, I think it would be too much of a gamble to change managers at this point in the season and don't believe that things would automagically become better if an unnamed somebody else took over.

Quite how this makes me a 'happy clapper', I don't know, but then I'm not the one going around name calling and trying to promulgate an "Us versus Them" vibe, simply because I have a different viewpoint to somebody else.

I don't think I'm more important than anybody else who actually attends the games, but my views about matches should certainly hold more weight than those who didn't bother to go to the games themselves. I was irritated by your uninformed posts on the 'Just back' thread last night because it would be nice to have some threads discussing football for a change instead the usual endless digs against Hurst and anybody who doesn't want him sacked instantly.

Frankly, I'm becoming very bored with the soap opera developing on these boards. It has become impossible to have a sensible discussion about games, formations or anything about the football without the thread being polluted by the endlessly repeated digs against Hurst. The 'Interview' thread yesterday was a case in point. Absolutely pointless, not funny, not informative, a waste of my time even reading through it.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 11, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Maringer

I sympathise. You clearly do think about the game and have the club at heart. But so do we all (apart from the trolls), maybe we just express it in different ways. I do agree with you that changing the manager is a gamble. It is one that WBA and Crystal Palace among others have taken though. It depends on your point of view at the time and how risk averse you are. It seems pretty likely that JF is less inclined to take a punt in football than in business.

Personally it is the negativity and the taking of fans for granted that I find annoying. For years it has been apparent for instance in the facilities for supporters and the feeling you get is that the club still has a view of supporters rooted in the past that fans will come to BP regardless.

The patronising tone of statements and interviews is especially irksome, which is incidentally why I started the "interview" thread you disliked so much. ;) In fact it worked very well. When the actual interview came through thanks to Ska it was an absolute parody of itself. I put up a link to the new Norwich manager's interview to show the difference in attitudes. There too is another club that has taken the plunge at what they see as a key point in the season.

It would be good to discuss the niceties of formations and team selections now and again though. :)

Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Maringer

I'd love to but we need to start playing some first.  ;)

You do make some good points Maringer and the anti Hurst thing does tend to migrate to every thread, i agree. But there is an undeniable undercurrent of "us and them" sometimes. The mere mention that there might be something not quite rosy in the camp immediately gets a barrage of red crosses, as though the author is making it up just to cause trouble. I've heard some interesting rumours this week, which i would once have shared but such is the way of it on here lately, i shall save myself the grief. Myself and Grim Reaper have alluded to the Aswad situation for instance and immediately received nothing but red crosses and cries of bullshit, he's the best left back in the league.

Think i'll go back into hibernation for a while.
Posted by: chaos33, January 11, 2015, 7:51pm; Reply: 79

I sympathise. You clearly do think about the game and have the club at heart. But so do we all (apart from the trolls), maybe we just express it in different ways. I do agree with you that changing the manager is a gamble. It is one that WBA and Crystal Palace among others have taken though. It depends on your point of view at the time and how risk averse you are. It seems pretty likely that JF is less inclined to take a punt in football than in business.

Personally it is the negativity and the taking of fans for granted that I find annoying. For years it has been apparent for instance in the facilities for supporters and the feeling you get is that the club still has a view of supporters rooted in the past that fans will come to BP regardless.

The patronising tone of statements and interviews is especially irksome, which is incidentally why I started the "interview" thread you disliked so much. ;) In fact it worked very well. When the actual interview came through thanks to Ska it was an absolute parody of itself. I put up a link to the new Norwich manager's interview to show the difference in attitudes. There too is another club that has taken the plunge at what they see as a key point in the season.

It would be good to discuss the niceties of formations and team selections now and again though. :)

I agree
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 8:24pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Sussexmariner

What's the gamble? What is Hurst doing this season that he hasn't done the season before  and the season before that? we will scrape into the play-offs and get beaten by much more adventurous, organise team like the season before and the season before that!!!!
we have nothing to lose in sacking Hurst, even if we don't get promoted with a new manager maybe just maybe it might not be so dire to watch

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.
Posted by: ska face, January 11, 2015, 8:50pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from GrimRob

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.

Where've you plucked that figure from?
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from ska face

Where've you plucked that figure from?

A year of Hurst's wages, and any signing on fee for a new man. It might be more if the new manager wants to bring other staff here to work with him.
Posted by: barralad, January 11, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd love to but we need to start playing some first.  ;)

You do make some good points Maringer and the anti Hurst thing does tend to migrate to every thread, i agree. But there is an undeniable undercurrent of "us and them" sometimes. The mere mention that there might be something not quite rosy in the camp immediately gets a barrage of red crosses, as though the author is making it up just to cause trouble. I've heard some interesting rumours this week, which i would once have shared but such is the way of it on here lately, i shall save myself the grief. Myself and Grim Reaper have alluded to the Aswad situation for instance and immediately received nothing but red crosses and cries of bullshit, he's the best left back in the league.

Think i'll go back into hibernation for a while.

I cannot believe someone of your calibre can be remotely bothered about ticks and crosses. As I've said numerous times:- I've turned them off-it's liberating :)
Posted by: ska face, January 11, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 84
Yeah - I know what it's for, just wondered how you'd arrived at £100k?
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from ska face

Well hurst isn't going to be on anything less than a thousand per week and then you've got the question of what happens to the invisible man aka chris Doig
Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from GrimRob

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs
every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.

It would only be 100k to add to the rest of the money wasted paying off the rubbish he's (Fenty) brought into the club.
We don't want to be in the playoffs season after season what I expect is a manager that will deliver the championship. Sick to flipping death of people taking second best as success.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from ska face

I said the best part of 100K. Mike Newell was on 1500 a week basic salary I think from his writ so assuming PH is on the similar a few years later in a lower division that would be 80 grand. It might be a bit less, but it's still going to be well over 50 just to pay him off.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2015, 9:13pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from TAGG

It would only be 100k to add to the rest of the money wasted paying off the rubbish he's (Fenty) brought into the club.
We don't want to be in the playoffs season after season what I expect is a manager that will deliver the championship. Sick to flipping death of people taking second best as success.

Glad you're not Chairman you'd be sacking someone every season.  :)
Posted by: ackomariner, January 11, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from GrimRob

I said the best part of 100K. Mike Newell was on 1500 a week basic salary I think from his writ so assuming PH is on the similar a few years later in a lower division that would be 80 grand. It might be a bit less, but it's still going to be well over 50 just to pay him off.

I posted after last seasons playoffs that it would've cost the club 40k to pay ph off,
The men upstairs weren't happy but didn't come up with 40k to get rid
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 11, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from GrimRob

They should be for not getting us promoted!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2015, 9:46pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from GrimRob

Didn't think we had a chairman. Thought he describes himself as Major shareholder(donated by Trust)/ Custodian?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from barralad

I cannot believe someone of your calibre can be remotely bothered about ticks and crosses. As I've said numerous times:- I've turned them off-it's liberating :)

I'm not but they are sometimes telling.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 11, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from GrimRob

We did at one point have a chairman who had form for that  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 11, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 94
Hurst's on a 6 month rolling contract, not a 12 month one.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-boss-Paul-Hurst-agrees-improved-deal/story-20408830-detail/story.html
Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2015, 10:55pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from GrimRob

flipping to right, Hurst would have gone Xmas last season.
Posted by: Sussexmariner, January 12, 2015, 6:21am; Reply: 96
Quoted from GrimRob

A year of Hurst's wages, and any signing on fee for a new man. It might be more if the new manager wants to bring other staff here to work with him.

Hurst is on a 6 month rolling contract not 12 so half your figure, not so much of a gamble is it

Posted by: GrimRob, January 12, 2015, 9:23am; Reply: 97
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Hurst is on a 6 month rolling contract not 12 so half your figure, not so much of a gamble is it

It's not just about money though, it's about his CV. Let me remind you....

2008-2009 Ilkeston Town Play-offs Winners
2009-2010 Boston United Play-offs Winners, Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Winners
2010-2011 Boston United Play-offs (PH left before they were knocked out)
2012–2013 Grimsby Play-offs, FA Trophy Runners-up
2013–2014 Grimsby Play-offs, FA Trophy Semis

If he wasn't our manager we'd be screaming for him to be with that record. He could more or less name his job at any team in non-league. Someone like Forest Green will snap his up if we let him go. It's not a gimme that we get to the play-offs every year and have a chance of winning the title. With someone else we could well be back to play-offs once every 3 or 4 years like say Wrexham.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2015, 9:44am; Reply: 98
Quoted from GrimRob

2009-2010 Boston United Play-offs Winners, Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Winners

If he wasn't our manager we'd be screaming for him to be with that record. He could more or less name his job at any team in non-league. Someone like Forest Green will snap his up if we let him go. It's not a gimme that we get to the play-offs every year and have a chance of winning the title. With someone else we could well be back to play-offs once every 3 or 4 years like say Wrexham.

Two points. 1. Most of that CV was achieved as part of a duo, and 2. He's been busy alienating himself from some of the fan base and now, therefore, lacks credibility.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 12, 2015, 10:09am; Reply: 99
Quoted from barralad

Why don't you stick to what you are good at HAPPY CLAPPING ;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 12, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 100
Quoted from GrimRob

Depends how well they do their research Rob to match up their needs with a new manager's strengths. Having said that, possibly Hurst might be a different manager in another club. He is no mug in football terms but he may have run out of goodwill at BP and is unable to change his approach. The biggest defect is the way he obviously regards talking to the media (and therefore the fans) as a chore and gives the impression other people are inferior to him in knowledge and ability. That could be different elsewhere with a new start as could his football style.

The trouble with us fans is that we like to be enthused and we like larger than life characters. Hurst doesn't fit the BP mould on his own.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 12, 2015, 10:17am; Reply: 101
Quoted from GrimRob

I would think GY have a much larger budget than Wrexham though Hurst seems to be going out of his way to drive down the fanbase here with his negative,boring and downright bizzare tactics at home.I would say away from home he is a very good manager at any level and tactics are usually spot on but wiping almost 4k off a gate in a few days sums his tenure up!
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 12, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 102
Remember P.H. is very aware that he is dependent on J.F. for his job.He has seen his co-manager sacked quite ruthlessly,I would say he feels very insecure in his position,which may impact his willingness to challenges J.F over budgets signings etc. so he does not wish to risk his ire by identifying issues and arguing his position so he adopts non-confrontational everything is rosy stance.Just a theory.
Posted by: Trawler, January 12, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 103
Quoted from Marinerz93
Shove the Barnet fans in the Osmond corner and open up the main Osmond to Town fans.  

BigChris - it would help deliver a passionate vocal crowd if the club paid heed to Marinerz93 and finally trialled this oft raised suggestion.

Having only recently moved to Grimsby I am benefiting from my first season ticket in the Upper Findus.

I am amazed (and simultaneously disappointed) that 40 away fans can sound louder in the Osmond than anything mustered by the pontoon. And it's NOT because the pontoon aren't singing.  They are - in treble/quadruple the numbers - but the noise is just drifting out to sea through the open ends.

If the rest of BP can barely hear the Pontoon there's not much chance of them being moved to join in.

It's not just about the Barnet game.  We need to improve the atmosphere at BP full stop, before it's too late.  We are wasting a golden opportunity by sticking to the status quo.    The Directors sit close to my seat. I know they will be hearing the same acoustic effect.  We simply cannot make the bear pit atmosphere with a half empty football ground if our vocal fans remain in the Pontoon.   Put the fans next to each other in the Osmond. Trying this for a couple of matches can't do any harm.

Up The Mariners
Posted by: mariner91, January 12, 2015, 10:58am; Reply: 104
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I would think GY have a much larger budget than Wrexham though Hurst seems to be going out of his way to drive down the fanbase here with his negative,boring and downright bizzare tactics at home.I would say away from home he is a very good manager at any level and tactics are usually spot on but wiping almost 4k off a gate in a few days sums his tenure up!

That's extremely unfair, it was a local derby and just after Xmas so many exiles, such as myself, were back home and able to attend. I'd left again by NYD and I'm sure it was the same for many others. Plus the away support from Macc was much smaller. I'm not for a second saying that the performance didn't stop others coming again because I'm sure it did but to say PH alone contributed to that is an exaggeration and grossly unfair.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 12, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 105
Quoted from Trawler

BigChris - it would help deliver a passionate vocal crowd if the club paid heed to Marinerz93 and finally trialled this oft raised suggestion.

Having only recently moved to Grimsby I am benefiting from my first season ticket in the Upper Findus.

I am amazed (and simultaneously disappointed) that 40 away fans can sound louder in the Osmond than anything mustered by the pontoon. And it's NOT because the pontoon aren't singing.  They are - in treble/quadruple the numbers - but the noise is just drifting out to sea through the open ends.

If the rest of BP can barely hear the Pontoon there's not much chance of them being moved to join in.

It's not just about the Barnet game.  We need to improve the atmosphere at BP full stop, before it's too late.  We are wasting a golden opportunity by sticking to the status quo.    The Directors sit close to my seat. I know they will be hearing the same acoustic effect.  We simply cannot make the bear pit atmosphere with a half empty football ground if our vocal fans remain in the Pontoon.   Put the fans next to each other in the Osmond. Trying this for a couple of matches can't do any harm.

Up The Mariners

Refer it to Nick GTFC or whatever his username is?
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 12, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 106
Quoted from GrimRob

Let's not forget we weren't screaming for him and Scott when Woods was finally sacked, weren't they 3rd choice?

Also if we are desperate for a manager that has won at the level of the Northern Premier League, there must be plenty out there who would jump at managing at this level.
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 12, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from friskneymariner
He has seen his co-manager sacked quite ruthlessly,

How was it ruthlessly? Rob Scott consistently acted like a child with no self-control, it was embarrasing at times.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 12, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from BIGChris

Refer it to Nick GTFC or whatever his username is?

Doing that won't go anywhere since he's convinced all the young GTFC supporters go to matches to start fights rather than to back the players by generating an atmosphere.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 12, 2015, 12:14pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Chrisblor

Doing that won't go anywhere since he's convinced all the young GTFC supporters go to matches to start fights rather than to back the players by generating an atmosphere.

What does this bloke actually do ? Stadium manager? Health safety rep ?
Posted by: Quagmire, January 12, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from MarinerWY

Rob Scott consistently acted like a child with no self-control, it was embarrasing at times.

Sounds like a description of our very own flag deconstructor  ;D  ;D
Posted by: Garth, January 12, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from MarinerWY

How was it ruthlessly? Rob Scott consistently acted like a child with no self-control, it was embarrasing at times.

Exactly, both he and Newell can't seem to get back into the management arena which at least says that JF acted in the clubs interest after what seemed like good acquisitions at the time.

PH enoys
the hell out of me sometimes, but in honesty is a far better manager than those two put together, just trying to be fair

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 12, 2015, 12:21pm; Reply: 112
Without being too optimistic, i think a win on Saturday (Don't care about Gateshead on Wednesday) will turn our season around again.

Remember that feeling of hope we all had between October 11th - November 11th ?
We beat Wrexham Away, Torquay Away, Braintree away on a Tuesday night, wont 4 out of 4 league games.

Also between 16th September - and 26th December, we have only lost 2 league games out of 17 games.

out of them 17 games we have:
Won - 10
Drew - 5
Lost - 2

This Equals just over 2 points per game (Promotion Form)

whilst i know since the above we have lost 2 home league games on the bounce, we are not in a bad position at all.

Gateshead supposedly have the best manager in the league, yet they are 6 points behind us, okay they have a game in hand.

I am also losing patients with Hurst due to the tactics, the team he plays ect, but results wise, we not doing bad.

Win our 2 games in hand on Bristol Rovers we are 3 points behind them, beat them next month we are level with them.

Win our 2 games in hand on Barnet, we are 9 Points behind them but have to play them twice.

If we beat Barnet on Saturday, a big IF ! then confidence will soon come back to the players and us fans.

Lost on Saturday, the above counts for nothing.

keep faith, we have a good set of players !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2015, 2:53pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Without being too optimistic, i think a win on Saturday (Don't care about Gateshead on Wednesday) will turn our season around again.

Remember that feeling of hope we all had between October 11th - November 11th ?
We beat Wrexham Away, Torquay Away, Braintree away on a Tuesday night, wont 4 out of 4 league games.

Also between 16th September - and 26th December, we have only lost 2 league games out of 17 games.

out of them 17 games we have:
Won - 10
Drew - 5
Lost - 2

This Equals just over 2 points per game (Promotion Form)

whilst i know since the above we have lost 2 home league games on the bounce, we are not in a bad position at all.

Gateshead supposedly have the best manager in the league, yet they are 6 points behind us, okay they have a game in hand.

I am also losing patients with Hurst due to the tactics, the team he plays ect, but results wise, we not doing bad.

Win our 2 games in hand on Bristol Rovers we are 3 points behind them, beat them next month we are level with them.

Win our 2 games in hand on Barnet, we are 9 Points behind them but have to play them twice.

If we beat Barnet on Saturday, a big IF ! then confidence will soon come back to the players and us fans.

Lost on Saturday, the above counts for nothing.

keep faith, we have a good set of players !

All fine, but there's a shitload of big IFs in there!
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 12, 2015, 4:31pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from MarinerWY

Not saying for one moment it was not justified,but the decision was taken and executed very swiftly,please respond to what I am stating not what you may think I am saying.,this must have have had some effect on making P.H feel his position was precarious and making him aware that he t he was dependent on the goodwill of the majority shareholder. Thus I see his position is somewhat compromised in arguing his case with the board,so he adopts a non confrontational position and does not argue his corner.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 12, 2015, 10:23pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from GrimRob

That is your permanent and natural state  I'm afraid it won't ever get better. :)

Oh it will when coco the clown gets the sack....
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 13, 2015, 8:03am; Reply: 116
Quoted from mariner91

That's extremely unfair, it was a local derby and just after Xmas so many exiles, such as myself, were back home and able to attend. I'd left again by NYD and I'm sure it was the same for many others. Plus the away support from Macc was much smaller. I'm not for a second saying that the performance didn't stop others coming again because I'm sure it did but to say PH alone contributed to that is an exaggeration and grossly unfair.

In my opinion had Town have beat Lincoln another 6k plus crowd would have been at BP on NYD the shambolic manner of the defeat put paid to that but I still thought a gate over 4.5k would turn out based on Boxing Day and NYD usually pulling in bumper crowds.I was genuinely shocked and disappointed the gate dropped below 4k and 6 points from those 2 games I would have fancied us to make a real push for the title.I can only point the finger at Paul Hurst and say his lack of going for the throat at home is what will see us fail yet again and I go now only in hope rather than expectation.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2015, 10:37am; Reply: 117
Quoted from 1mickylyons

In my opinion had Town have beat Lincoln another 6k plus crowd would have been at BP on NYD the shambolic manner of the defeat put paid to that but I still thought a gate over 4.5k would turn out based on Boxing Day and NYD usually pulling in bumper crowds.I was genuinely shocked and disappointed the gate dropped below 4k and 6 points from those 2 games I would have fancied us to make a real push for the title.I can only point the finger at Paul Hurst and say his lack of going for the throat at home is what will see us fail yet again and I go now only in hope rather than expectation.

Was at a New year party; there were seven Town fans there, all of whom had been to the Boxing Day game and i think three of us made the Macc game. General consensus was that getting up with a hangover and going to watch Town again was not worth the effort but they would have if we'd been decent against Lincoln. Most were/are scathing about the home tactics and lack of goals/excitement/atmosphere.
Posted by: mariner91, January 13, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A crowd of over 6k to see us play the mighty Macclesfield? The entire time we've been in this division we've only managed gates over 5K on eight occasions. Two of those were FA cup, two were play-offs and three were against Lincoln (the other was our first home game in this division which was against York). We've only managed gates over 6,000 5 times and the only time that has happened in a league game is against Lincoln. To put it into context, the last time we played someone other than Lincoln on NYD was 2011 against Mansfield where 3654 were in attendance. Admittedly, we weren't overly good that season but Mansfield will have brought more than Macclesfield did.

I'm not suggesting that the style of play and some of the home performances haven't put some people off, it clearly has because it has frankly become an expensive chore to go. But if you think the reason we didn't get over 6,000 to watch us play Macclesfield Town is solely down to PH then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. After a bit of research we only got 3600 against them in 2005 in a game that took us top of L2!
Posted by: barralad, January 13, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from mariner91

A crowd of over 6k to see us play the mighty Macclesfield? The entire time we've been in this division we've only managed gates over 5K on eight occasions. Two of those were FA cup, two were play-offs and three were against Lincoln (the other was our first home game in this division which was against York). We've only managed gates over 6,000 5 times and the only time that has happened in a league game is against Lincoln. To put it into context, the last time we played someone other than Lincoln on NYD was 2011 against Mansfield where 3654 were in attendance. Admittedly, we weren't overly good that season but Mansfield will have brought more than Macclesfield did.

I'm not suggesting that the style of play and some of the home performances haven't put some people off, it clearly has because it has frankly become an expensive chore to go. But if you think the reason we didn't get over 6,000 to watch us play Macclesfield Town is solely down to PH then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. After a bit of research we only got 3600 against them in 2005 in a game that took us top of L2!

Fantastic response...Factual, well written and accurate. Will any notice be taken of it? Not on your sweet bippy matey!
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, January 13, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 120
Looking at the fixtures on sat its not just this game that could change the table somewhat, 8 of the top 9 play each other

Halifax (9) v Eastleigh(5)
Woking (7) v Bristol (2)
Kiddermin (6) v Macc (3)
Grimsby (4) v Barnet (1)
I think it would be nice if all four where home wins
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:24am