Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 1, 2015, 5:09pm
Given the league we play in, the total lack of quality, the part time sides around us.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 1, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 1
Various sides from 2008-2011 were worse.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 1, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 2
No
Posted by: lee65, January 1, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 3
I don't think so, and I actually believe some of the players MAY be more suited to League 2

However, I'm not sure we've worked out yet exactly what's needed to get out of this league
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 1, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 4
Certainly up there in respect of performances at BP.

One point that puzzles me is that when we announce our summer signings the Fishy response is always very positive, best winger in league, best midfield player etc. personally, i never know who is who in the opposition so not able to comment.

So the point is are us fans bad judges of a player or does PH's tactical approach result in the players inabilty to perform in the town shirt ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 5
Not for me, no.

Seen a lot worse over the last 43 years.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 1, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 6
Nothing like the worst. It is one of the flimsiest and most lacking in backbone though.
Posted by: nightrider, January 1, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 7
The team that finished mid table in his first year would beat this team.
Great team to watch too in the 2nd half of the season
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 1, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 8
Maybe it's the way the players are being managed, I think we have some decent players in this present team.
Posted by: grimps, January 1, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 9
Its the most predictable !
We all know how this team will play and this season will pan out , we have seen it all in the last 3 season.
Just wait until the trophy games kick in and he brings in a striker next week that will be left on the bench for a month.
All sound familiar ?
Posted by: timmo, January 1, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 10
I think it's the best squad since we've been down here.

Rather than being told do your thing and score 1 more than them. They are being put on the emphasis not to concede. IMO

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 1, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Certainly up there in respect of performances at BP.

One point that puzzles me is that when we announce our summer signings the Fishy response is always very positive, best winger in league, best midfield player etc. personally, i never know who is who in the opposition so not able to comment.

So the point is are us fans bad judges of a player or does PH's tactical approach result in the players inabilty to perform in the town shirt ?

We coach ability out of good players, we seem to get a well known player with a good reputation who starts really well (Hannah, Arnold, Brown, Nsiala, Colbeck, Neilson, Parslow, Cook, Hatton, Pell, Marshall etc.) and who knows how many more I don't remember from the last couple of seasons who play well for a few weeks then turn to cr@p.
Posted by: chicaneuk, January 1, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 12
I still think we have an excellent squad - but I think they're downtrodden and demotivated and have just lost their drive.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 1, 2015, 5:39pm; Reply: 13
No, we have a great squad, the manager is brilliant at taking any flair and passion out of a player. Until we see a change in tactical ability from the bench we will not go up.
Posted by: Teesknees, January 1, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen
Given the league we play in, the total lack of quality, the part time sides around us.

You only post when Town lose! You must be in your element tonight!
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 1, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Teesknees

You only post when Town lose! You must be in your element tonight!

certainly posting a lot more of late :P
Posted by: Tea bag seats, January 1, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 16
good sqaud (barring a couple) very poor manager. simple
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 1, 2015, 6:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from timmo
I think it's the best squad since we've been down here.

Rather than being told do your thing and score 1 more than them. They are being put on the emphasis not to concede. IMO

Timmo
UTM

I would agree although half the first team needs replacing.

The worst team ever assembled was under Mike Neweel, some the laziest, fattest and mercenary losers ever to grace BP.
Posted by: denni266, January 1, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 18
not the players. its the way they play and that is down to our brainless manager imo
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 1, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 19
The majority of fans agree this is probably the best squad of players we have had in this league but they are not motivated and managed to their ability and that is the management's fault.

Nielson for example on his day is a very creative player but he looks more jaded every game. Our home form is awful we are getting found out at the back as teams come here unafraid and attack minded. Are we really just a mid table side?? We will lose the talented players here unless somebody grabs them by the scuff of the neck, kicks some behind and says those fans deserve more passion and commitment get our there and fight for every ball.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 1, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tinymariner
No, we have a great squad, the manager is brilliant at taking any flair and passion out of a player. Until we see a change in tactical ability from the bench we will not go up.

We have good players but some very average ones aswell. Tactically teams read us very quickly and change if need be we on the other hand have plan a but no plan b Hurst very rarely manages to change the course of a game
Posted by: barralad, January 1, 2015, 8:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from denni266
not the players. its the way they play and that is down to our brainless manager imo

Let me just get this straight.......the players were in no way responsible for today's debacle?

Paul Hurst was responsible for Arnold ducking out of a tackle on the edge of their box and 15 seconds later defenders were having to make last ditch tackles?
Paul Hurst was responsible for literally 100s of passes going astray over 95 minutes?
Posted by: Badger57, January 1, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 22
Not the worst players but almost certainly the most boring, defensive, unexciting, stubbornly one dimensional manager we've ever had by some considerable margin.
You'll be sat up there on your own very soon John I'm afraid.
Time is running out fast....Tick Tock.....
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 1, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from barralad

Let me just get this straight.......the players were in no way responsible for today's debacle?

Paul Hurst was responsible for Arnold ducking out of a tackle on the edge of their box and 15 seconds later defenders were having to make last ditch tackles?
Paul Hurst was responsible for literally 100s of passes going astray over 95 minutes?

Certainly not Barra but they are players he has brought in so surely has to accept some of the responsibility. I do not expect a change in manager until the end of the season but this continued failure to produce a performance  at BP will ultimately cost him his job.

If he proves the doubters wrong great but it appears more unlikely as each home game passes.
Posted by: barralad, January 1, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 24

Certainly not Barra but they are players he has brought in so surely has to accept some of the responsibility. I do not expect a change in manager until the end of the season but this continued failure to produce a performance  at BP will ultimately cost him his job.

If he proves the doubters wrong great but it appears more unlikely as each home game passes.

My post was in response to Denni's usual anti-Hurst titbit about it not being anyone's fault but the manager. As usual I haven't been holding my breath.
There is collective responsibility...
Posted by: GTFCAcko, January 1, 2015, 11:33pm; Reply: 25

Yes but the fans booing for the past 3 home games at full time doesn't help hurst motivate the players

UTM
Posted by: sparko501, January 1, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 26
No not the worst town side in history at all
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 2, 2015, 2:00am; Reply: 27
Quoted from barralad

Well Hurst continues to pick certain players even though they continue to turn in crap performances, Arnold has been hopeless these past few weeks especially at Macclesfield and at home to Lincoln yet he is still first choice and only Hurst knows why he wasn't substituted.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 2, 2015, 2:01am; Reply: 28
Quoted from GTFCAcko

Yes but the fans booing for the past 3 home games at full time doesn't help hurst motivate the players

UTM

Oh dear, it's back to the fans fault again.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 2, 2015, 9:01am; Reply: 29
Quoted from GTFCAcko

UTM

Do not recall any booing after we beat Forest Green and even against Lincoln was a very small minority. End of the day as others have said players and squad not as good as we thought and PH has learned nothing from his previous seasons in charge.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 30

Do not recall any booing after we beat Forest Green and even against Lincoln was a very small minority. End of the day as others have said players and squad not as good as we thought and PH has learned nothing from his previous seasons in charge.

Agreed Lincoln Mariner

As I recall it the team were given the usual victory induced applause after we'd defeated FGR...maybe more out of relief that we'd got back in to it after nearly letting it slip but I'd say it was definitely more of a positive reponse at the end of the evening rather than anything negative

And to be honest I didn't notice too much booing after the Lincoln game although that could have been more to do with their fans' celebratory cheers drowning out any jeers from our "fans"
Posted by: davmariner, January 2, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 31

Agree you've hit the nail on the head regarding Hurst not learning anything. He's so stubborn and never accepts responsibility.
Posted by: Tommy, January 2, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 32
                     Colgan
Bore  Linwood  Bennett  Wood
Forbes  Mendy  Sweeney  Shahin
     Akpa-Akpro   Magennis

Town's line-up vs Rochdale. October 2009.
Newell's last game in charge.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Tommy
                     Colgan
     Akpa-Akpro   Magennis

The bench was even worse...with the exception of possibly Danny North ( who by then I recall had been publicly lambasted so no surprise he wasn't first choice )

Jamie Clark
Matt Heywood
Grant Normington
Michael Leary
Chris Jones
Danny North

Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 2, 2015, 7:19pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Tommy
                     Colgan
     Akpa-Akpro   Magennis

Bennett and Akpa-Akpro would make our side now but nobody else although I can't actually remember Shahin.
Posted by: Neilo83, January 2, 2015, 7:22pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Bennett and Akpa-Akpro would make our side now but nobody else although I can't actually remember Shahin.

Wasnt he a local lad? Scored a good goal in one of his first game? or maybe it was a reserve game
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 2, 2015, 7:26pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Neilo83

Wasnt he a local lad? Scored a good goal in one of his first game? or maybe it was a reserve game

Looking at wikipedia - yeah he is local now plays for Grimsby Borough. I think I suppress most of my memories of town from that period.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, January 2, 2015, 7:33pm; Reply: 37
Worse thread ever! No by far not the worst team ever! simples
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 38
Worst side? No. Most under-performing squad? Possibly.
Posted by: DocTower, January 3, 2015, 8:31am; Reply: 39
For any player to obtain a professional contract before they even sign for us , must mean that they have ability seen by other managers .  
Unfortunately the style adopted at BP appears to stifle this .  Players have off days , but not all together as we are seeing .

Think I said last season , after the Gatehead league match what could Gary Mills as manager do with the squad we had .  We have hit another low in Towns history .
Posted by: cleefish, January 3, 2015, 10:36am; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings
Not for me, no.

Seen a lot worse over the last 43 years.

:) :) :) :) no from me imho Hurst has and will not play the players to their ability
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:40am